choosing a wine cooler

chil...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2006, 9:49:40 PM8/28/06
Hi all, the wife and I are in the midst of a full on kitchen remodel.
We've recently found a love for wine and have worked a small (28-34
bottle) under counter wine cooler into our design. The problem we have
now, is deciding on exactly what to get. Everything we've looked at
seems to have temp controls that allow settings for reds OR whites. But
considering that we enjoy both, what do we do here? I have seen a few
models that offer two seperate sections in the same unit, with
different temp controls for each. But some of the reviews I've read of
those (avanti models) were rather mixed. I know some varieties simply
don't need to be chilled at all. But is the difference in temp between
chilled reds and whites so different that it would be bad to put them
both in at the same temp?

Thanks again!

sibeer

Aug 28, 2006, 10:56:19 PM8/28/06

I had the same problem. Now I keep the reds on the top shelves and the
whites on the bottom. It works for me.
<chil...@gmail.com> wrote in message

miles

Aug 28, 2006, 11:39:28 PM8/28/06

I installed a U-Line 60 bottle cooler. It is a standard cabinet width
and height so it was easy to remove an existing kitchen cabinet and
slide the U-Line in place. The bottom shelves are cooler than the top
so I put whites on the lower shelves and reds on the upper shelves.
U-Line is expensive but worth it. Mine is 13 years old and works good
as new.

Mike Stanton

Aug 29, 2006, 2:06:33 PM8/29/06
In the Beginning (about 7 years ago), there was Avanti. You had your choice
between a 24 bottle model or a 34 bottle model. Then came Danby, Haier -
all reputable vendors of small appliances. Eventually, everyone and his
brother began importing Chinese dorm refrigerators and marketing them under
"Private Labels."
Stateside, Marvel and U-Line had always offered front-vented, "built-in
capable" alternatives produced in the U.S. and priced accordingly.
Capacities have grown, esthetic offerings have diversified and the hi-tech
nonsense has taken over. Now Marvel makes Viking, U-Line makes Echelon,
Sub-Zero makes a fortune .... Every appliance maker has gotten into the act.
And none have reinvented the laws of physics.

Wine refrigerators can meet some applications. If you live in Phoenix & are
used to warmer-than-civilized household temperatures ... if you have a
second home or travel extensively and the A/C thermostat is set high ... if
you have a neat wet bar in the rec room and want a toy in the cabinet system
... then a wine refrigerator may make sense.

In any event, these things are not suitable for "storage" in a technical
sense. We're dealing with machines and Mother Nature here, so there are no
absolute answers. But any wine that is going to be around a couple of years
from now belongs in a more appropriate environment than a wine refrigerator.
That's why capacities are moderate (~150) ... the assumption is that you'll
"consume and replace" within the next year or so.

If you do have a handful of "aging" wines, rent a locker in a proper storage
facility - any major metro area will have a few.

On the other hand, over 70% of the wine bottled is ready to drink the same
day. Given that there's a $Gazillion (at last estimate) in wine inventories
sitting @ 72 degrees in wine shops, restaurants and bars (all perfectly
safe), there's no material difference between racking a bottle in the dining
room or wine refrigerator for most folks.

We're still trying to figure out this "Multi Temp" thing. As with hamburger
meat, "storage" temperature is significantly distinct from "serving"
temperature for wine. An enclosure, somewhere between 12 and 24 cubic feet,
cooled by a single machine, cannot consistently maintain a 25 degree
differential internally. Even if it could, you'd have a hurricane inside.

A consistent, single temperature of 55 - 57 degrees is optimum for any wine
for long term storage. Consistency between ~ 50 and ~ 75 is perfectly OK in
the short term. The wild swings that can result from under-engineered,
"Multi Temp" machines aren't particularly good for the wine - and you'll
ultimately be chilling or decanting a given bottle before serving anyway.

Haier, Avanti, Danby are quality imports with a stable and reputable North
American presence ... even the more expensive American products - Marvel,
U-Line, Sub-Zero, Viking, etc. are obviously superior products. On the
other hand, there are a few alternative, imported "brands" that have neither
the service histories, warranties, nor vendor support provided by mainstream
lines. Stick with the aforementioned and you'll be OK. Anything actually
built in the States is a safe choice.

These are just refrigerators - there is nothing"special" about any of them.
The principles are pretty simple, as are the mechanical systems.

A true wine cellar will cool slowly and gently to avoid severe fluctuations
in temperature. It must access the ambient fresh air supply in order to
achieve/maintain appropriate humidity levels.

Refrigerators with modified thermostats have no means by which to access the
ambient absolute humidity and they cool relatively quickly. When an area is
cooled quickly, the warm air (and the associated humidity) is evacuated
quickly.

1/3 of the battle is temperature (mid 50's), but fluctuations can have
adverse effects, long term, and the dehydrative effect of quick cooling can
lead to oxidation/evaporation of the wine.

To the extent wine refrigerators accomplish anything, just keep your wine in
the mid 50's. Any red wine that you remove with your 98.6 degree hands,
decant and decant or allow to breathe in a 72 degree dining room will warm
to proper serving temp in short order. Stick your whites and sparklings in
the kitchen fridge for 1/2 an hour - or freezer for 15 minutes ....

"miles" <no...@nopers.com> wrote in message