OT First US Made Absinthe since 1912 To Be Sold This Month

cwdjrxyz

Dec 7, 2007, 4:54:04 AM12/7/07
Most countries in Europe have lifted the ban against absinthe that
many once had, and since the early part of this year a lawyer was able
to get the ban removed in the US. Three imported absinthes from
France, Switzerland, and South America have been sold in a few major
markets for a few months. A US company had been experimenting with
making absinthe for some time, and they recently got federal approval
to sell it. Sales start this month. See
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/05/MNQJTO9FM.DTL
for details.

Although absinthe is a strong distilled spirit and not wine, there
have been a few questions here in the past concerning it. About the
only connections it has with wine are that some better versions use
alcohol distilled from grape wine, and there are a few drinks that mix
absinthe with wine.

Emery Davis

Dec 7, 2007, 5:15:21 AM12/7/07

I actually bought a bottle of absinthe (I think) this summer, but haven't
tasted it yet. I thought about pulling it out for a dinner party, but then I
was afraid people might get sick.

Mine is www.versinthe.net. I note that the one mentioned in the chronicle is
selling for $75 US, whereas I paid 23 EU and that was tourist prices. Typical
California pricing! :)

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ibmemer...@ebayadelkadell.applecom

John T

Dec 7, 2007, 5:35:52 AM12/7/07
. I thought about pulling it out for a dinner party, but then I
> was afraid people might get sick.

but absinthe does make the heart grow
fonder............................sorry;-)

John T

st.helier

Dec 7, 2007, 11:58:15 AM12/7/07
"John T" wrote .................

> but absinthe does make the heart grow fonder..

WARNING:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Consumption of Absinthe causes flatulence !!!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
LOUD flatulence !!!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
In fact as loud as an F1 racing car !!!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Absinthe makes the fart go Honda !!!!!!!
.
.
Sorry!!! ;-)))))

Mark Lipton

Dec 7, 2007, 12:23:07 PM12/7/07
st.helier wrote:

<SNIP>

oof!

Mark Lipton

Dan the Man

Dec 7, 2007, 2:04:31 PM12/7/07

LOL! Now give me a minute whilest I remove the expectorated skim milk
from my monitor!

Dan-O

cwdjrxyz

Dec 7, 2007, 2:08:56 PM12/7/07
On Dec 7, 4:15 am, Emery Davis <laera...@esserda.oc.ku> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 01:54:04 -0800 (PST)
>

> cwdjrxyz <spamtr...@cwdjr.info> wrote:
> > Most countries in Europe have lifted the ban against absinthe that
> > many once had, and since the early part of this year a lawyer was able
> > to get the ban removed in the US. Three imported absinthes from
> > France, Switzerland, and South America have been sold in a few major
> > markets for a few months. A US company had been experimenting with
> > making absinthe for some time, and they recently got federal approval
> > to sell it. Sales start this month. See
> >http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/05/MNQJTO9FM...

> > for details.
>
> > Although absinthe is a strong distilled spirit and not wine, there
> > have been a few questions here in the past concerning it. About the
> > only connections it has with wine are that some better versions use
> > alcohol distilled from grape wine, and there are a few drinks that mix
> > absinthe with wine.
>
> I actually bought a bottle of absinthe (I think) this summer, but haven't
> tasted it yet. I thought about pulling it out for a dinner party, but then I
> was afraid people might get sick.
>
> Mine iswww.versinthe.net. I note that the one mentioned in the chronicle is

> selling for $75 US, whereas I paid 23 EU and that was tourist prices. Typical
> California pricing! :)

The California company is very small and makes mainly high end spirits
at high end prices. If absinthe becomes popular enough in the US,
major companies likely will produce it in a range of prices. It likely
would take some time for them to develop their versions of absinthe.

There are a huge number of brands of absinthe now coming from France,
Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Spain, Eastern Europe etc. They range
from rather vile brews made with essential oils to high end re-
creations of classic absinthes and up to about 80% alcohol or more.
Lucid Absinthe Superieure likely is the only French one yet being sold
in US stores. There are stores in a few states that have it including
Park Avenue Liquors in NYC and Sam's in Chicago. It also is sold on
the West coast, but I do not recall store names.

Some of the best historical re-creations from France likely come from
T.A. Breaux's Jade Liqueur brand. There is a source at http://www.absintheonline.com/
that sells some of the top brands from a few countries world wide -
with some limitations. The price for shipping outside of Europe can be
rather high.

ernie

Dec 7, 2007, 3:00:25 PM12/7/07

The best line from the article:

"We made champagne and absinthe cocktails, which rapidly degenerated into just
sipping absinthe out of the bottle with crazy straws," said Lance Winters,
a 42-year-old master distiller at the seven-employee company.

(to reply, rack off the lees.)

Babie

Dec 24, 2007, 4:24:07 AM12/24/07

"cwdjrxyz" wrote

> Although absinthe is a strong distilled spirit and not wine, there
> have been a few questions here in the past concerning it. About the
> only connections it has with wine are that some better versions use
> alcohol distilled from grape wine, and there are a few drinks that mix
> absinthe with wine.

Sorry for the late reply. I just returned from an 11 night Southern
Caribbean cruise.

I buy Absinthe every time I cruise to the Western Caribbean. Although a
little expensive, I have a small "stash". Of course it's not legal to bring
it back to the states, but I've never had a problem. I just pack it in my
checked bags the night before a cruise is over and get it home that way.

I have to say, though. It is terrible. If you've never tasted it, you'll be
surprised. When I drink it, I always do it the correct way (with sugar cube
and water). Even with the 1/2 sugar water 1/2 absinthe, it still tastes like
the original nyquil flavor.

If you haven't tried it but want to, make sure you don't overdo it. I think
for most people 2 or 3 shots is more than enough. If it's authentic
Absinthe, you'll feel the full effect within an hour or 2 from drinking it.

LES!

--
To email me privately,
please remove YOUR CLOTHES

If you experience....
... lasting more than 4 hours...
... ALERT THE MEDIA!!!!

Message has been deleted

Jose

Dec 24, 2007, 11:41:01 AM12/24/07
> To get back on topic, do not drink wine after you have had absynthe or even pastis or ouzo or anisette or any of those anaesthetic drinks.

Why? Just because it destroys the palate, or is there another reason?

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.

Message has been deleted

Jose

Dec 24, 2007, 11:55:43 AM12/24/07
>> Why? Just because it destroys the palate, or is there another reason?
>
> Is that not reason enough? :-)

Indeed... but not one that would require a warning. :)

Message has been deleted

Jose

Dec 24, 2007, 12:25:37 PM12/24/07
> SURGEON GENERAL WARNING
> Drinking absynthe may not give you the high it is claimed to give, but it will reduce your olfactory sensations and seriously hamper your ability to tell a sauvignon blanc from a zinfandel.

Wait! Wait! There's no =proof= that sauvignon blanc isn't the same as zinfandel! More research is called for!

Message has been deleted