New York Roll?

Claire Kinder

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

I live in Vancouver, and the two big fusion rolls are B.C. Roll (Barbeque
salmon skin and cucumber, sometimes with radish sprouts) and the California
Roll (avocado and crab, sometimes masago). A friend and I were wondering...
is there such thing as Boston Roll or New York Roll? another one I know of
is Alaska roll. (avocado, crab and smoked salmon).
Are there any East Coast-themed sushi rolls?

Lori Lee

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

cki...@direct.ca (Claire Kinder) wrote:

Sure
A Boston Roll is either Shrimp or Lobster or Crab or Salmon with
Boston Lettuce plus Avocado, Cucumber, Fish Roe, Sesame Seed (any or
all).
A New York Roll is even more varied. Ususally Smoked Salmon, with
scallion or onion. But I have seen NY Rolls that add in Apple (as in
"The Big Apple").

BTW, California Roll also has Cucumber in it.

Dave Vick

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

In article <ckinder-ya0240800...@news.direct.ca>,
cki...@direct.ca (Claire Kinder) wrote:

>> I live in Vancouver, and the two big fusion rolls are B.C. Roll (Barbeque
>> salmon skin and cucumber, sometimes with radish sprouts) and the California
>> Roll (avocado and crab, sometimes masago). A friend and I were wondering...
>> is there such thing as Boston Roll or New York Roll? another one I know of
>> is Alaska roll. (avocado, crab and smoked salmon).
>> Are there any East Coast-themed sushi rolls?

I once saw a "Philadelphia Roll" at Sushi Han in Denver; Smoked salmon &
cream cheese.

On a bagel, yes. In maki? I dunno....

Dave Vick
IATSE #274 - Central & Northern Michigan Theatrical Technicians
To reply directly, remove the asterisk from my address.
Blame spammers for the inconvenience.
Fight SPAM - visit <http://www.cauce.org> for more information

Ken Blake

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

Dave Vick wrote in message ...

>In article <ckinder-ya0240800...@news.direct.ca>,
>cki...@direct.ca (Claire Kinder) wrote:
>
>>> I live in Vancouver, and the two big fusion rolls are B.C. Roll
(Barbeque
>>> salmon skin and cucumber, sometimes with radish sprouts) and the
California
>>> Roll (avocado and crab, sometimes masago). A friend and I were
wondering...
>>> is there such thing as Boston Roll or New York Roll? another one I
know of
>>> is Alaska roll. (avocado, crab and smoked salmon).
>>> Are there any East Coast-themed sushi rolls?
>
>I once saw a "Philadelphia Roll" at Sushi Han in Denver; Smoked salmon
&
>cream cheese.
>
>On a bagel, yes. In maki? I dunno....

I taste done of these once, at an AYCE sushi buffet. Although I thought
it was better than it sounds, I would certainly never order it myself.

Ken Blake
To respond by E-mail, delete the x in my return address

David E. Cote

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

On Mon, 08 Dec 1997 13:20:56 GMT, chil...@ix.netcom.com (Lori Lee)
wrote:

>cki...@direct.ca (Claire Kinder) wrote:
>
>>I live in Vancouver, and the two big fusion rolls are B.C. Roll (Barbeque
>>salmon skin and cucumber, sometimes with radish sprouts) and the California
>>Roll (avocado and crab, sometimes masago). A friend and I were wondering...
>>is there such thing as Boston Roll or New York Roll? another one I know of
>>is Alaska roll. (avocado, crab and smoked salmon).
>>Are there any East Coast-themed sushi rolls?
>

>Sure
>A Boston Roll is either Shrimp or Lobster or Crab or Salmon with
>Boston Lettuce plus Avocado, Cucumber, Fish Roe, Sesame Seed (any or
>all).
>A New York Roll is even more varied. Ususally Smoked Salmon, with
>scallion or onion. But I have seen NY Rolls that add in Apple (as in
>"The Big Apple").
>
>BTW, California Roll also has Cucumber in it.

I have not heard of a New York Roll. I have heard of and enjoy
what is in my favorite sushi bar what is known as a Manhattan Roll,
which is an i/o California Roll with tobiko all around the outside.

Jennifer Bumann

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

Claire Kinder wrote:

> I live in Vancouver, and the two big fusion rolls are B.C. Roll (Barbeque
> salmon skin and cucumber, sometimes with radish sprouts) and the California
> Roll (avocado and crab, sometimes masago). A friend and I were wondering...
> is there such thing as Boston Roll or New York Roll? another one I know of
> is Alaska roll. (avocado, crab and smoked salmon).
> Are there any East Coast-themed sushi rolls?

I don't know about the East Coast myself, but here in the Up
Nort...Wisconsin that is we do have a Wisconsin roll. Shrimp and colby
cheese, a little too salty for me.

Sheryl

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

Not the East Coast, but here in Houston at Kaneyama, a Houston Roll is
Yellowtail, Tuna and Salmon (yum!!).

Timothy Springer

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

Claire Kinder wrote:

> I live in Vancouver, and the two big fusion rolls are B.C. Roll (Barbeque
> salmon skin and cucumber, sometimes with radish sprouts) and the California
> Roll (avocado and crab, sometimes masago). A friend and I were wondering...
> is there such thing as Boston Roll or New York Roll? another one I know of
> is Alaska roll. (avocado, crab and smoked salmon).
> Are there any East Coast-themed sushi rolls?
Several places have tried naming some of there creations with east coast
names. As far as I know none of the names have caught on.

Anup S. Jassal

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

Here in New York City, the most persistent incarnation of this roll I've
observed contains smoked salmon and avacado, served inside out with
sesame seeds on the outside.

Anup

Anup S. Jassal

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

Sounds absolutely FABULOUS, Sheryl!

Supercello

Dec 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/11/97

A place in Florida has Boston rolls. It is a hand roll with cucumber,
artificial crabmeat, Boston Lettuce and a sauce which was made up of
Japanese mayonnaise and soy. It tastes really good :)

mark...@ix.netcom.com

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

Dave Vick wrote:

> In article <ckinder-ya0240800...@news.direct.ca>,
> cki...@direct.ca (Claire Kinder) wrote:
>
> >> I live in Vancouver, and the two big fusion rolls are B.C. Roll (Barbeque
> >> salmon skin and cucumber, sometimes with radish sprouts) and the California
> >> Roll (avocado and crab, sometimes masago). A friend and I were wondering...
> >> is there such thing as Boston Roll or New York Roll? another one I know of
> >> is Alaska roll. (avocado, crab and smoked salmon).
> >> Are there any East Coast-themed sushi rolls?
>
> I once saw a "Philadelphia Roll" at Sushi Han in Denver; Smoked salmon &
> cream cheese.
>
> On a bagel, yes. In maki? I dunno....

> Dave Vick
> IATSE #274 - Central & Northern Michigan Theatrical Technicians
> To reply directly, remove the asterisk from my address.
> Blame spammers for the inconvenience.
> Fight SPAM - visit <http://www.cauce.org> for more information
Cream cheese with tuna and cucumber or mushroom is quite good.

CAllen5913

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

I have had a NY Roll -
Smoked salmon skin , cream cheese and assorted veggies.
Not bad - reminded me of a bagel with lox - just with out the bagel.
I think I prefer the less Americanized forms of sushi.
-Cindi
Callen5913

Ken Blake

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

CAllen5913 wrote in message
<19971213084...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

>I have had a NY Roll -
>Smoked salmon skin , cream cheese and assorted veggies.
>Not bad - reminded me of a bagel with lox - just with out the bagel.

One of the problem with these newer, less traditional things is that
there's little standardization of the name. It's probably very likely
that what the place you had it at calls NY Roll is very different from
what some other sushi bar might call it.

>I think I prefer the less Americanized forms of sushi.

I do too--by far.

WILF1

Dec 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/19/97

SUSHI ROLL LIST

NEW YORK ROLL--crab, cucumber, tobiko, mayo sauce.

I do not know how they make their mayo sauce however, it
may be made from adding
finely ground roasted sesame seeds, enough to make the mayo slightly off-white,
maybe ginger juice
but not enough to make the mayo taste of ginger, and possibly a hot sauce. The
hot sauce should not make it hot or hardly flavor it. There should be barely a
hint of the added ingredients. It is from the
Kyoto group restaurants.

CHARLESTON--shrimp, cuke, lettuce (probably romaine or some other fine leaved,
light flavored
type), tobiko, mayo sauce.
ALASKAN--smoked salmon, tomato, green onion, mayo sauce.
FLOWER--shrimp, crab, cuke, tobiko, lettuce, mayo sauce.
CRAZY--tamago, crab, avocado, tobiko on the outside, (inside out roll).
KING--tamago, crab, cuke, gourd squash (kampyo?), bonito flakes, pickled
burdock.
PHILLY--smoked salmon, cuke, tobiko, philly cream cheese.
BOSTON--tuna, avocado, tobiko.
HOT JAMAICAN--conch, cuke, tobiko, Japanese chili pepper (?).
SEA EVIL--tako, cuke, tobiko, mayo sauce.
KNOX(ville)BIG ROLL--eel, tamago, bonito flakes, tobiko, cuke.
ORLANDO--asparagus, shrimp, tobiko, mayo sauce.
UMESHISOKYU--Japanese apricot, shiso leaf, cuke.

You may know of the NEGIHAMA which has yellow tail and green onion. To make it
DYNAMITE ROLL chop the fish to chunks. Add the onion and keep chopping until
the onion is well
chopped. Add chili paste with garlic to taste.
I make my FUTOMAKI with tamago, crab, cuke, avocado, pickled daikon, kampyo,
and sometimes
pink fish powder.
I think they use a mandolin-type slicer for the cucumber to give them uniform
sizes,
You can use just about anything for rolsl. For the non fish eaters try
asparagus and cooked thin beef. Or for kid-hot dogs, bacon and cheese.
Experiment. Create.

Mike

FUTOMAKI
This roll is about 2 inches thick, hence the name futo-maki, or fat roll. The
other sushi rolls could be
called hoso-maki or thin rolls by comparison. This roll contains six to eight
ingredients, most often
six, and often the same six. These always include kampyo gourd, oboro or denbu
pink powder,
tamago omelet, and shiitake mushrooms. Other ingredients can include bamboo
shoots,
cucumbers, cooked eel, cooked carrots, and cooked spinach or other greens.

The nori sheets are cut in half and then quarters, so that a quarter sheet can
be pasted onto the end
of the half sheet to make a sheet half as wide as normal, and 1-1/2 times as
long. The seam should
be under the ingredients, and the sheets are pasted together with crushed rice
grains. The roll is cut
thinner into five slices.
The faster you go the sooner you will catch up to someone who will slow you
down!
"What 'IF'" Snakes Were Elected to Congress? They Would Outlaw Bullfrogs From
Carrying 45's."
Any errors are my own and not the intent of this damn computer and its stupid
software!