Fried sticky rice fritters stuffed with pork and carrot
Xôi nhân thịt chiên
Serves 4 (12 balls)
Ingredients for the balls
Steamed sticky rice, 160 g (“nếp”)
Steamed mung bean, 60 g (“đậu xanh”)
Sugar, 1 teaspoon
Salt, 2 pinches
Cooking oil, 1 teaspoon
Ingredients for the pork stuffing
Minced pork lean, 70 g
Minced carrot, about 30 g
Minced garlic, 1 tablespoon
A pinch of pepper
Cooking oil, 1 tablespoon
Prepare the stuffing:
• Sauté the minced lean pork with oil and chopped garlic. When the pork
is going to be cooked add in the minced carrot and sauté during 2
• Add seasoning, taste and adjust at your convenience.
Prepare the sticky rice:
• Bring mung bean to a steam, drained and then blend with the sugar and
salt until you obtain a paste.
• Mix the mung bean paste with the sticky rice and 1 teaspoon of oil.
• Separate the sticky rice in 12 equal pieces. Wear gloves. Take 1 piece
in your hand and flat it down to have a thin round shape (like a
• Add one part of the stuffing in the center and then close the ball.
• Press firmly the ball in your hands. Roll the ball between your 2
hands to obtain a nice round shape with a diameter of 4cm. Keep all the
balls on an oiling surface to make sure they won’t stick. Continue until
all the sticky rice and stuffing are finished.
• Fried the balls until the color becomes light brown. Drained the fried
balls on a kitchen tissue.
Place on a serving platter, serve warm with a small bowl of soya sauce.
Saigon fried spring rolls - Chaû gioø Saøi Goøn
1 bunch of several leaves: Vietnamese basil (“húng quế”), Shiso
leaves (purple mint) (“tía tô”) and mint leaves (‘”húng cây”)
Green lettuce leaves
Fish sauce for dipping
Filling for about 30 rolls
500 g lean minced pork
200 g fresh shrimp minced
30 rice paper (or a bit more in case you break a few)(“bánh tráng”)
4 tablespoons minced shallots (about 6 shallots) (hành tím”)
4 dried wood ear fungus (“Nấm mèo”) soaked in water until soft and
sliced (50 g)
50 g dried glass noodles (“miếng sợi”) soaked in water until
soft, drained and then cut into 5 cm lengths
1 carrot cut in Julienne
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons of fish sauce (“nước mắm”)
Vegetable oil for the deep-frying
• Make the filling first by combining all ingredients in a large bowl
and mixing until well blended, set aside.
• To make the fried rolls wet a little bit the rice paper and smooth it
with your fingers.
• Place 2½ heaping tablespoons of the filling onto the rice paper. Fold
one end of the wrapper over the filling, then fold the 2 sides parallel
and roll up tightly, pressing to seal. Repeat until all ingredients are
• Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat until hot. Deep- fry the rolls
a few at a time for about 5 minutes each until golden brown on all
sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Place the fried rolls on a serving platter and serve with the lettuce,
leaves and fish sauce on the side. More information please visit here: