Puros

CCA

Jan 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/13/99
I have a series of recipes that I did not know were pan dulce. I was
hung up on the fact that the recipe didn't say "pan dulce." I've
since learned that they are. I've never baked any of them so I can't
really add any comments.

The recipes are from Barbara Hansen's Mexican Cookery. She describes
pan dulce in the following way: "...the imaginative array of sweet
rolls, loaves, cakes and cookies known collectively as pan dulce or
sweet bread. Each whimsically fashioned sweet bread has its own
name." The three recipes that she includes in this category are:
peineta, cuernos, and puros.

The recipes are long. I will post them separately over a period of
time.
******************************

Puros
(Cigar-Shaped Rolls)

3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon molasses
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup hot water
1 envelope active dry yeast (1 tablespoon)
Pinch granulated sugar
1/4 cup warm water
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 egg
About 3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
About 1/3 cup raspberry jam
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Sesame seeds

Scald milk by heating to just under boiling point, about 180F (80 C).
Pour hot scalded milk over molasses, brown sugar, shortening and salt
in a large bowl. Stir until brown sugar dissolves; shortening does
not need to melt. Add 3/4 cup hot water. Let mixture stand until
lukewarm. Stir yeast and pinch of granulated sugar into 1/4 cup warm
water. Let stand until yeast is softened. Beat whole-wheat flour
into milk mixture. Beat in softened yeast and i egg. Stir in enough
all purpose flour to make a stiff dough. Turn out onto a lightly
floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
Add additional flour if needed. Clean and grease bowl. Place dough
in bowl, turning to grease all sides. Cover with a dry cloth towel.
Let stand in a warm place free from drafts until doubled in bulk,
about 1 hour.

Line 2 large baking sheets with foil. Grease foil; set aside. Punch
down dough. Turn out onto surface and knead 5 times. Divide dough
into 3 parts. work with 1 part at a time, keeping rest of dough
covered. Divide 1 part into 7 pieces. On a lightly floured board,
roll out each piece to a 6" X 3-1/2" oval. Spread 3/4 teaspoon jam
off-center down length of each oval, keeping ends clear. Starting
from long side of dough nearest jam, roll up jelly-roll fashion.
Place seam-side down on prepared baking sheets. Repeat with remaining
dough.

Cover rolls loosely with towel. Let stand in a warm place until just
doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
Before baking, brush rolls with egg-water mixture. Sprinkle lightly
with sesame seeds. Bake 20 minutes or until browned well and rolls
sound hollow when tapped on top. Remove from baking sheets
immediately. Cool on racks. Makes 21 rolls.

CCA