Vuelve a la vida

Victor M. Martinez

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
VuelveVida.html

Victor M. Martinez

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
http://rulfo.dca.udg.mx/cocina/mariscos/VuelveVida.html

This is a wonderful cocktail whose name literally means "return to life".
It's common throughout Mexico with minor variations.

VUELVE A LA VIDA

Ingredients:

9 oz cocktail shrimp, cooked
36 oysters, raw
5 oz conch, diced
3 Cups octopus, cooked and chopped
1/2 Cup white wine
1 onion, finely chopped
3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
1 avocado
5 limes, juiced
1 Cup ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
hot sauce (ie Tabasco or even better, Cholula), to taste
salt and pepper
crackers

Procedure:

Marinate the conch with the lime juice and salt for two hours.
Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Serve in individual cocktail
glasses, garnish with avocado slices and serve with crackers.

--
Victor M. Martinez, Jr. | The University of Texas at Austin
mar...@che.utexas.edu | Department of Chemical Engineering

L Hodge

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
Great recipe Victor.

La Margarita at Market Square in San Antonio serves a wonderful version
of this seafood cocktail (sans the conch and octopus). Try it on their
patio on a warm evening with a cold cerveza. Heaven.

Lori

Victor M. Martinez

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
L Hodge <lnh...@nospam.texas.net> wrote:
>La Margarita at Market Square in San Antonio serves a wonderful version

Where is this place (with respect to the Riverwalk)? I'm not so familiar
with San Antonio.

L Hodge

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98

Victor M. Martinez wrote in message >Where is this place (with respect

to the Riverwalk)? I'm not so familiar
>with San Antonio.

Market Square is on the western edge of downtown, bordered on the west
by IH-10, on the North by Commerce Street, and on the south by Dolorosa.
It's a pretty good haul from the River Walk which is further to the
east, but you can catch a trolley from the River Walk to Market Square,
or there is parking available there. It's a wonderful Mexican market
full of shops and restaurants, with street vendors selling delicious
food on the weekends. There seems to always be some kind of celebration
going on with bands, etc. La Margarita, in my opinion, is the best
restaurant in the Market, with a strong focus on seafood. Their sister
restaurant, Mi Tierra, is across the walkway and is open 24 hrs. a day
every day of the year. Mi Tierra has more traditional, tex-mex food,
but the cabrito is very good there. All of the restaurants have patio
dining that opens to the center of the Market. It's also a great place
to buy Mexican cooking hardware, spices, etc.

The Market, like the rest of downtown San Antonio, caters to tourists,
so don't get discouraged by any "lack of authenticity", it's there if
you look for it.

Hope you get to visit there soon.

Lori

Victor M. Martinez

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
L Hodge <lnh...@nospam.texas.net> wrote:
>full of shops and restaurants, with street vendors selling delicious
>food on the weekends. There seems to always be some kind of celebration

Do you know if they sell "tostadas de cueritos"? I've been craving those
lately... for some reason homemade just don't taste the same.

>dining that opens to the center of the Market. It's also a great place
>to buy Mexican cooking hardware, spices, etc.

I do need a molcajete and the ones available at Fiesta are not good
for cooking, just decoration.

>The Market, like the rest of downtown San Antonio, caters to tourists,
>so don't get discouraged by any "lack of authenticity", it's there if

I'll give it a shot but I won't keep my expectations high (that's why
I don't quite like Manuel's here in Austin, while the rest of the
world raves about it).

Cheers.

L Hodge

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98

Victor M. Martinez wrote in message
>Do you know if they sell "tostadas de cueritos"? I've been craving
those
>lately... for some reason homemade just don't taste the same.

I think the street vendors (who are usually there only on weekends and
the various fiestas) sell them. Those are the pickled pork rinds,
right? Never tried them myself, but now you've got me curious. If they
don't sell them there, I'll bet one of the hundreds of hole in the wall
taco "huts" on the south side of San Antonio does.

Anyone else know of a source?

Lori

Victor M. Martinez

Dec 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/4/98
L Hodge <lnh...@nospam.texas.net> wrote:
>the various fiestas) sell them. Those are the pickled pork rinds,
>right? Never tried them myself, but now you've got me curious. If they

Yeap! They are awesome. My dad prefers them with pickled pork ears,
but I don't like those as much.
The ones I remember from my childhood had a little beans, a bunch of
sliced cueritos, some shredded cabbage and a very hot salsa roja.
Man!, I'm drooling... I guess I'll have to run to SA this Sunday to
see if I can get some.