Charro Beans?

Judy Bolton

Sep 26, 2001, 1:18:54 PM9/26/01
My hubby used to live in Houston, TX, and really misses the charro beans he
used to eat there. If anyone has some tried and true recipes, I'd really
appreciate it!

Thanks!

--
Judy B - Rochester, NY - judyn...@jumpinjude.com

beejay

Sep 26, 2001, 10:33:14 PM9/26/01
Judy, hope this helps:

1 lb uncooked, dried pinto beans
8 cups water
1/2 lb bacon, diced
1 can (14 1/2 oz) tomatoes, undrained
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/4 tsp ground cumin
salt
fresh oregano for garnish
1 cup beer
2 limes

Sort beans. Place beans in bowl, cover with water and soak overnight.
Discard water. Place beans in large pot and add 8 cups water. Simmer
partially covered for 1 hour. Cook bacon until crisp. Add bacon and 2 Tbsps
of the drippings to beans. Chop tomatoes and add to beans. Add onions,
garlic, chilies, chili powder, oregano, and cumin. Simmer partially covered
for three hours, or until beans are tender. Turn off heat and add beer.
Season with salt to taste. Garnish with fresh oregano and lime wedges.

-bj

"Judy Bolton" <ju...@jumpinjude.com> wrote in message