Enchilada Sauce?

Vicki

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
My mother grew up with alot of Hispanics in her neighborhood (Specifically
Mexicans) and they taught her how to cook alot of food. I have never tasted
enchilada's like hers anywhere else, and I was wondering if someone knew the
recipe for the enchilada sauce. I know that if you used real tomatoes, it
took two days; if you used canned tomatoes and tomato sauce, it generally
took one. She also used dark chili powder, chili powder, piscilla, and
other ingredients. Does anyone know the exact recipe?

Linda Gonzalez

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00

Hmmmm, I am wondering why it would take two days to make enchilada
sauce if you use real tomatoes?

I don't make enchilada sauce from tomatoes..I am surprised you didn't
think to get the recipe from her since she's your mother.

Linda

Vicki

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
She's dead.

Linda Gonzalez <linda_g...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Vicki

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
Also, I know that alot of things take two days when we cooked with them. I
was at the young enough age (Before High School) that they did not show me
how to make the food. But tamales, enchiladas...Everything took at least a
day or two to get the ingredients down. And the tortillas and stuff like
that that they made...always with the hand. Even when they had the presses.
That is just the way they did stuff.

Of course, once you eat it, you understand why.

Linda Gonzalez

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:38:49 -0800, in alt.food.mexican-cooking
"Vicki" <su...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>She's dead.

I'm sorry.. perhaps one of her relatives, an aunt maybe could help you
out if it were a family recipe...

Barb

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
whoa

Vicki wrote:

> She's dead.

Barb

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
Linda needs a good plastic surgeon to remove that foot from her mouth

Jack Schidt

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00

Barb <guita...@home.com> wrote in message

> Linda needs a good plastic surgeon to remove that foot from her mouth

naah.....there's no problem here.

Smilin Jack

Vicki

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
It was not a family recipe...it was just something she learned from a family
other than her own, which I have no contact with. Her family cooks
horribly; their idea of done is when the smoke alarm is going off.

So if anyone knows of something at least similar to the recipe, I would be
happy.

Linda Gonzalez <linda_g...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

David Wright

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:38:06 GMT, Barb <guita...@home.com> wrote:

>Linda needs a good plastic surgeon to remove that foot from her mouth
>

>Linda Gonzalez wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:38:49 -0800, in alt.food.mexican-cooking
>> "Vicki" <su...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>>
>> >She's dead.
>>
>> I'm sorry.. perhaps one of her relatives, an aunt maybe could help you
>> out if it were a family recipe...

She apologized. What more do you need?

David

Linda Gonzalez

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:38:06 GMT, in alt.food.mexican-cooking Barb
<guita...@home.com> wrote:

>Linda needs a good plastic surgeon to remove that foot from her mouth

I *said* I was sorry.

Karen Anderson O'Mara

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Vicki wrote:

> It was not a family recipe...it was just something she learned from a family
> other than her own, which I have no contact with. Her family cooks
> horribly; their idea of done is when the smoke alarm is going off.
>
> So if anyone knows of something at least similar to the recipe, I would be
> happy.

Vicki, I don't recall an enchilada sauce recipe posted here using fresh
tomatoes, and taking a coupla days to make. There have, however, been some
great articles posted on enchilada sauce, to be sure. If you're willing to
check http://www.deja.com and powersearch in afm-c forum for this, I think you
may find some..
--
Karen O'
37:23:10 N

Vicki

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Jeez guys, give Linda a break!

Linda Gonzalez <linda_g...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

dke...@azstarnet.com

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 17:56:16 -0800, "Vicki" <su...@u.washington.edu>
wrote:

Enchilada sauce doesn't contain tomato. Its pretty much chilies, the
stalk that you are going to use to make the enchiladas with (chicken
for chicken enchiladas, beef for beef etc..) and some spices. It
doesn't take long to make at all.
Dave

Vicki

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
I have never seen enchilada sauce that they did not use something tomato,
even if it was just tomato paste.
But of course, there are a zillion different ways to make it

<dke...@azstarnet.com> wrote in message

Jack Schidt

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00

Vicki <su...@u.washington.edu> wrote in message

I'm missing something on this thread. I've never seen tomato added to
enchilada sauce. What's got me flummoxed is the 2 day claim. It takes me
under an hour to make enchilada sauce, and that includes cooking the dried
chiles. a zillion different ways? hmmm.....I've dined on enchiladas from
texas to california and have seen perhaps 3 variations on standard enchilada
sauce.

Jack

Linda Gonzalez

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 08:12:20 -0500, in alt.food.mexican-cooking "Jack
Schidt" <jack....@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

[...]

>I'm missing something on this thread. I've never seen tomato added to
>enchilada sauce. What's got me flummoxed is the 2 day claim. It takes me
>under an hour to make enchilada sauce, and that includes cooking the dried
>chiles. a zillion different ways? hmmm.....I've dined on enchiladas from
>texas to california and have seen perhaps 3 variations on standard enchilada
>sauce.

I have to agree with you here. I have never seen enchilada sauce made
out of tomatoes..and the 2 days claim is far-fetched to me. But...you
never know, if they can make guacamole with cheese, then I guess
anything goes with enchilada sauce.. :)

BUT...however to be fair to all sides I will ask on the mailing list I
belong to and if anyone comes up with a recipe to make enchilada sauce
from tomatoes, I will post. although I am sure the 2 day claim is
still far-fetched.

Linda

Vicki

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
*sigh*
I have found people that know what I am talking about, so I no longer need
the help.
The reason why it takes two days is 1) you are not cooking at night and 2)
you are making your own paste.
And since I found people that know what I am talking about, it must not be
far-fetched.
I realize that there are sauces made without any type of tomato-based
substance at all. The Eastern side of the U.S. has a different type of
sauce used in the restaurants than on the Western side.

This newsgroup is one I thought you were suppose to be able to ask for help
from; not so others can berate another person because their cooking style
does not mesh with theirs.

Jack Schidt

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00

> *sigh*
> I have found people that know what I am talking about, so I no longer need
> the help.
> The reason why it takes two days is 1) you are not cooking at night and 2)
> you are making your own paste.
> And since I found people that know what I am talking about, it must not be
> far-fetched.
> I realize that there are sauces made without any type of tomato-based
> substance at all. The Eastern side of the U.S. has a different type of
> sauce used in the restaurants than on the Western side.
>
> This newsgroup is one I thought you were suppose to be able to ask for
help
> from; not so others can berate another person because their cooking style
> does not mesh with theirs.

Well, perhaps you should include sour grapes in your next sauce. Every post
is an education and this thread, IMO, didn't include any berating; You
posted, and your opinion may have been challenged, but you certainly were
not held up for ridicule by any means. get over yourself and keep posting
here. There are some excellent ideas here, and you might learn how to whip
up a sauce in less than 2 days. ;-)

Jack

Senor Authentico

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00

Vicki <su...@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
85u4pg$7s6$1...@nntp1.u.washington.edu...

>This newsgroup is one I thought you were suppose to be able to ask for
help
>from; not so others can berate another person because their cooking
style
>does not mesh with theirs.

Just be glad you didn't ask this a year ago when Victor (I mean pistor)
was here.

SA

Linda Gonzalez

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 20:33:07 -0800, in alt.food.mexican-cooking
"Vicki" <su...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>*sigh*
>I have found people that know what I am talking about, so I no longer need
>the help.
>The reason why it takes two days is 1) you are not cooking at night and 2)
>you are making your own paste.
>And since I found people that know what I am talking about, it must not be
>far-fetched.
>I realize that there are sauces made without any type of tomato-based
>substance at all. The Eastern side of the U.S. has a different type of
>sauce used in the restaurants than on the Western side.

Vicki, I am glad you finally found what you are looking for, I suppose
the recipe I posted wasn't of any help, but I did try.

Maybe you could post the recipe?

Linda

Vicki

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
I know how to make sauces in less than an hour; but they do not taste as
good. They do not have the rich flavor that the other has.

Linda: The people do not speak English, so there is no written recipe to
it. When I am on the other side of the state, I am going to spend the
weekend with them cooking to learn that and a few other things (But if I get
the jalepeno tamale one more time..well...).
I will try to post it on here as soon as I figure it out, but it does take a
long time to make and there are no measurements; you just throw stuff in.
You can make it without making the base yourself; you just use tomato paste
and pre-made stuff like that. It generally takes under and hour or two,
depending on how much you let it simmer. I will try to keep my ears open on
that one, but it will be a little more difficult. The people I know do not
believe in not making everything from scratch.

Vicki <su...@u.washington.edu> wrote in message

> *sigh*
> I have found people that know what I am talking about, so I no longer need
> the help.
> The reason why it takes two days is 1) you are not cooking at night and 2)
> you are making your own paste.
> And since I found people that know what I am talking about, it must not be
> far-fetched.
> I realize that there are sauces made without any type of tomato-based
> substance at all. The Eastern side of the U.S. has a different type of
> sauce used in the restaurants than on the Western side.
>

> This newsgroup is one I thought you were suppose to be able to ask for
help
> from; not so others can berate another person because their cooking style
> does not mesh with theirs.

H. Paul Jacobson

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
On Sun, 16 Jan 2000 dke...@azstarnet.com wrote:

> Enchiladas sauce doesn't contain tomato. Its pretty much chilies, the

> stalk that you are going to use to make the enchiladas with (chicken
> for chicken enchiladas, beef for beef etc..) and some spices. It
> doesn't take long to make at all.

From Rick Bayless's [Authentic Mexican], section on 'Enchiladas and their
relatives' I gleaned that the prototypical enchilada is a lightly fried corn
tortilla, dipped in a chile sauce and topped or rolled around a filling.
At least one of the sauces he gives does not have tomatoes in it (nor does
the can of Las Palmas brand enchilada sauce on my shelf). Other sauces
are used in the same way, and results are often called enchiladas. But
some times the name reflects the type of sauce:
an enmoladas has been dipped in a mole sauce
an enfrijolada uses a bean sauce
an entomatada uses a tomato sauce (possibly without any chiles)
He doesn't give a separate name for a tomatillo-chile sauce.

Paul

Ivan Weiss

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Linda Gonzalez wrote:

> I have to agree with you here. I have never seen enchilada sauce made
> out of tomatoes..and the 2 days claim is far-fetched to me. But...you
> never know, if they can make guacamole with cheese, then I guess
> anything goes with enchilada sauce.. :)
>

> BUT...however to be fair to all sides I will ask on the mailing list I
> belong to and if anyone comes up with a recipe to make enchilada sauce
> from tomatoes, I will post. although I am sure the 2 day claim is
> still far-fetched.

I have been making for years a salsa roja for enchiladas that contains red
chiles, simmered then pureed with onions, some tomatoes and garlic, then
reduced in hot lard, mixed with some heavy cream, and poured over
enchiladas for baking. I got this from "The Complete Book of Mexican
Cooking" by Elizabeth Lambert Ortiz.

I can't say how "authentic" :-) it is, but it's damn good. The chiles, and
not the tomatoes, dominate. She also has recipes for enchilada sauces that
do not contain tomatoes.

That's FWIW and YMMV.

Ivan Weiss PHILOSOPHY, n. A route of many roads
Vashon WA leading from nowhere to nothing.
-- Ambrose Bierce: "The Devil's Dictionary"

Senor Authentico

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00

Ivan Weiss <iv...@ham.nw.verio.net> posts messages braggin about
yummy-sounding recipes for tomato-based Enchilada sauce, and chili
verde.

>On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Linda Gonzalez wrote:
>

>I have been making for years a salsa roja for enchiladas that contains
red
>chiles, simmered then pureed with onions, some tomatoes and garlic,
then
>reduced in hot lard, mixed with some heavy cream, and poured over
>enchiladas for baking. I got this from "The Complete Book of Mexican
>Cooking" by Elizabeth Lambert Ortiz.
>
>I can't say how "authentic" :-) it is, but it's damn good. The chiles,
and
>not the tomatoes, dominate. She also has recipes for enchilada sauces
that
>do not contain tomatoes.
>
>That's FWIW and YMMV.
>
>Ivan Weiss

SO Let's have some recipes, already!!

SA

David Wright

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
On Mon, 17 Jan 2000 12:57:07 -0800, "H. Paul Jacobson"
<hp...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

<snip>

>Other sauces
>are used in the same way, and results are often called enchiladas. But
>some times the name reflects the type of sauce:
>an enmoladas has been dipped in a mole sauce
>an enfrijolada uses a bean sauce
>an entomatada uses a tomato sauce (possibly without any chiles)
>He doesn't give a separate name for a tomatillo-chile sauce.
>
>Paul

Nancy Zaslsvsky (I keep referring to her book, as does Frank
Perricone) has a recipe for Oaxacan entomatadas with a sauce that
includes tomatoes and de arbol chiles. She, too, has enmoladas and
enfrijoladas (made with a black bean sauce) and enchiladas (sauce made
with three kinds of chiles).

The difference between these Oaxacan "'ladas" and the ones most of us
are used to is that the tortillas are fried briefly to soften them,
then dipped in the sauce and folded twice on the plate (rather than
rolled or stacked, as in New Mexico style). Then they're topped with
more sauce, some white onion, parsely or cilantro, and some white
cheese.

David

Ivan Weiss

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00

Will do once I can post from home, where my cookbook is. I promise.

StudentX

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
I do not know if raising your own livestock for meat is such a great idea.
I personally have a herd of cattle (small..only 30) and I use the steers for
meat. There is nothing like having a nice, grain-fed beef in your freezer.
Except now that I am at college, I can no longer stomach the taste of any
type of beef except my own. There was one restaurant where I ordered a
steak and enjoyed it, but they brought the steak out to us and showed us
what it looked like before we ate it. Once you have the grain-fed beef, you
are ruined for life!
Organic foods are great if you are willing to pay the price. My mother
started out with a garden 4 feet squared, but within a few years it turned
into an acre of hand-weeded veggies and fruits. For someone with problems
with the chemicals they put on grown food, organic is great. However it
usually costs more because it is alot harder to produce, and generates a
smaller crop.
However, with the "certified"...I would say do not believe it. I would say
go to a farmer's market and ask them if their food is organically
grown...but never trust the government. I do not know about this aspect of
certification, but I do know that the supposed "US Beef" (excuse me while I
laugh uncontrollably) just means that it crossed the border and got a stamp
on it saying it was US beef. The majority of it is from other countries (If
you search around a bit, it is pretty easy to find this information).
I imagine if they have no problem doing it with our meat, then they will not
think twice about our vegetables.
Hades Of The Underworld <plut...@bellatlantic.net> wrote in message
> Vicki,
>
> Dr. Carl Sagan once wrote: "To make an apple pie from scratch, one would
have to
> first invent the Universe" ;-)
>
> Just kidding though. I for one am a purist that insists on using the
freshest,
> most authentic, and non processed ingredients available for my cooking, as
well
> as my brewing (beer). Heck, if I could grow my own veggies, and raise my
own
> livestock, it would please me even more.
>
> As far as organic products; I don't trust them. Can anyone educate me on
the
> matter of trusting "certified" organic foods? With corrupt politics
playing a
> role in everything today, including health (HMO's), I don't trust our
government
> in health issues anymore.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hades

Hades Of The Underworld

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00

Vicki wrote:

> > > BUT...however to be fair to all sides I will ask on the mailing list I
> > > belong to and if anyone comes up with a recipe to make enchilada sauce
> > > from tomatoes, I will post. although I am sure the 2 day claim is
> > > still far-fetched.
> > >

> > > Linda

Hades Of The Underworld

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
Thanks for the info....

IMHO, at least around here, the best grain fed Prime beef is only sold to
steakhouses.

Hades

H. Paul Jacobson

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Hades Of The Underworld wrote:

> IMHO, at least around here, the best grain fed Prime beef is only sold to
> steakhouses.

What do they feed 'non-grain fed' beef? I know a lot of cattle spend the
first year or so on open range, feeding on grass and hay. But then they
are sold to feed lots to be fattened up. I thought grains were the
cheapest source of food for them.

Not that this has anything to do with enchiladas. Well marbled prime rib
isn't the traditional filling for enchiladas or other Mexican dishes. Many
of their dishes are tailored for tougher cuts that require long slow
cooking and shredding of the meat (e.g. barbacoa). It's not for nothing
that one dish is called 'ropa vieja', 'old clothes'. Even fajitas use
flank steak.

If we want to talk real Mexican beef lets talk about tripe and cows feet.
Not to mention tongue and cheeks. I even like the contrasting textures in
a cesos (brain) burrito.

Paul

StudentX

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
Feedlots will take care of a steer for very little time. Most go in and out
within a few days.
Grain is by far, the most EXPENSIVE thing you can feed your steer. That is
why most people just let them eat on the range. To feed your animal just
hay, you put in around 15 cents a pound. To feed an animal hay and grain,
we put in around 1.20 a pound. The other difference is time. To have a well
fed grain-fed beef, you start when they are around six to eight months
old,and feed them out for about 6 months, until they are "finished" (there
are certain ways to tell). Also, amount varies. Some people will feed
their animal a coffee can of grain a day. In the livestock shows I went
too, my beef continued to be the best; we fed a 5 gallon bucket a day.
So the best beef are butchered within a year to 18 months. Also, there is
alot more that goes into feeding an animal into the beef you get at a
restaurant (long programs with periodic switching of formulas).

Of course, this has nothing to do with Mexican food. I am just so excited
to know what I am talking about :)

H. Paul Jacobson <hp...@u.washington.edu> wrote in message

StudentX

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
A home grain-fed beef and a store grain-fed beef, even yes. Stores usually
do not have the same amount of feed time for grain. And grain will always
taste different than hay. Grain fed is more marbled, and usually more
tender and tasty.
Even hamburger, the cheapest of meats, has a totally different taste that
you can pick out easily.
However, if you cook it down alot, then nothing really matters :)
Hope that helps.

> Now let me ask you, since this is a Mexican Cooking NG I don't want to
deviate
> from the relevant subject. But considering the cheaper cuts of meet used
in
> Mexican cooking (like flank steak), will it make a difference if the flank
comes
> from a grain fed vs a hay fed???
>
> Regards,
>
> Hades

Hades Of The Underworld

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00

Irv Mullins

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00

H. Paul Jacobson <hp...@u.washington.edu> wrote in message

> If we want to talk real Mexican beef lets talk about tripe and cows feet.
> Not to mention tongue and cheeks. I even like the contrasting textures in
> a cesos (brain) burrito.

Don't most Mexican restaurants use cow lips in their tacos/burritos, etc?
I know the texture of the meat they use isn't anything like ground beef I
cook
at home.

Irv

Linda Gonzalez

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00

As a rule, ground beef isn't used in Mexican cooking, shredded beef
is.
You can find some restaurants that do serve tacos made out of cabeza,
tripas, lengua and sesos.

Linda

Karen Anderson O'Mara

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
Linda Gonzalez wrote:

> As a rule, ground beef isn't used in Mexican cooking, shredded beef
> is.
> You can find some restaurants that do serve tacos made out of cabeza,
> tripas, lengua and sesos.

Cabeza is head (brain), tripas is intestine, lengua is tongue, and sesos is
lips?

Karen
--
"Time's fun when you're having flies."
-Kermit

H. Paul Jacobson

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Karen Anderson O'Mara wrote:

> Cabeza is head (brain), tripas is intestine, lengua is tongue, and sesos is
> lips?

sesos is brains. cabeza refers more to the meatier parts of the head, the
same sort of things that go into head cheese. tripas is tripe, the
stomach (whether the honeycomb or smooth parts). Tripas also go into
menudo. I believe that word refers to the tripe being cut up into
bite size pieces.

Paul

Linda Gonzalez

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 08:39:01 -0800, in alt.food.mexican-cooking Karen
Anderson O'Mara <ka...@randomgraphics.com> wrote:

>Linda Gonzalez wrote:
>

>> As a rule, ground beef isn't used in Mexican cooking, shredded beef
>> is.
>> You can find some restaurants that do serve tacos made out of cabeza,
>> tripas, lengua and sesos.
>

>Cabeza is head (brain), tripas is intestine, lengua is tongue, and sesos is
>lips?
>

>Karen

Hi Karen...
cabeza is head, tripas intestine, lengua is tongue, and sesos are
brains. Lips are labios.

Linda

Linda Gonzalez
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/1574