My own personal recipe: Mexican Lasagna (Entomatadas)

Lakshmi

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

This is a version of Entomatadas. As the name says their sauce is
tomatoey. You see, entomatadas look similar to enchiladas in thatthey are
a pain in the hands (i.e. if you have arthritis, which I don't)to fold up
each individual tortilla neatly. They also take up alot of time. I have
decided to make them as one would a lasagna.
BTW I don't use quantities, I just go by what feels/looks good and tastes
good.

Mexican Lasagna
1/2 jar of spaghetti sauce (preferrabley the chunky tomato with
herbs-basil)
Shredded Cheddar (the marbled type) or use Mozarella or any white cheese
that melts nicely
1 pkg. of corn tortillas

Simmer the 1/2 jar of spaghetti sauce in a pot. If the sauce is tastey to
you, dilute this sauce with water until the sauce would be thin enough to
be absorbed by the corn tortillas. If it needs modifying, add whatever
you think would make it taste better: extra basil, oregano, sautee some
onions in a bit of red wine and throw those into the pot. Sometimes the
sauce is bitter so a little sugar (1 - 5 tsp.) helps.

Take a casserole dish and line it with corn tortillas. Then, spread the
cheese over these.

Pour a little sauce to moisten the tortillas.
Repeat the layers of tortillas, cheese, sauce until you're 3/4 of the top
of the casserole dish. Pour the rest of the sauce until it covers the
tortillas with a bit of sauce.

Microwave the whole casserole or just cut into servings and put on plates,
then microwave each dish until the tortillas are soft and the cheese has
melted.

BTW, this is less fattening than entomatadas because the sauce should be
watery enough to soften the corn tortillas. Whereas, the corn tortillas
to make entomatadas are immersed in hot oil so that they will soften.
You can also substitute skimmed milk mozarella.

Add in any meats that you like (I don't). This is a side dish at my house.
But, I think shredded Chicken would go great.