Chile Guajillo

Mary Bollinger

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
When I made mexican rice last I put three pods into the liquid
before bringing to a boil. They released oil, and juice to the rice. I
removed
them after fifteen minutes of low simmer, scattered other vegetables on
top
and let them steam ten minutes. I think they gave the rice a wonderful
flavor
in addition to the chili powder, jasmine, cumin, and black pepper, and
other
vegetables including jalapenos.

What else can I do with the dried guajillo chili pods? Stuff them?
Any recipes?

M.

mmwbollinger.vcf

Karen Anderson O'Mara

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
Mary Bollinger wrote:

> What else can I do with the dried guajillo chili pods?
> Stuff them?
> Any recipes?

Well, my favorite restaurant that makes my favorite tortilla
soup uses
guajillos in their soup. Their tortilla soup is a little
different than
many others, and is sometimes called 'enchilada soup'.
Anyway, they start
their soup by frying a guajillo pepper to release the
flavor, then add
tomato sauce and chicken, and so on. The soup is served with
that cooked
guajillo as a garnish. It smells absolutely heavenly.

Karen