OT: Mold on bread.

Benderthe.evilrobot

Sep 18, 2016, 3:21:18 PM9/18/16
Had a spell of really hot weather just lately, hadn't used any bread for a
couple of days.

When I looked in there the bread had jet black spores on it - very inky and
took some getting off my hands.

Now that's got my curiosity going - I'd like to know where to look for any
help identifying what species of mold.

Thanks for any help.

Sep 20, 2016, 5:56:54 AM9/20/16
Hi Evil Robot,

Try this link:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2006-01/1136215286.Mi.r.html

"What is the color of the mold? Some molds have hyphae (or
branching elements) that are non-pigmented. These types
of molds are called hyaline molds, whereas others (commonly
the ones you see on the bathroom tiling) are "demetiaceous"
or darkly pigmented - commonly black in color.

HTH,
-T

Benderthe.evilrobot

Sep 20, 2016, 2:31:28 PM9/20/16

"T" <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:nrr14v$5i7$2...@dont-email.me...
> On 09/18/2016 12:21 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
>> Had a spell of really hot weather just lately, hadn't used any bread for
>> a couple of days.
>>
>> When I looked in there the bread had jet black spores on it - very inky
>> and took some getting off my hands.
>>
>> Now that's got my curiosity going - I'd like to know where to look for
>> any help identifying what species of mold.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>
> Hi Evil Robot,
>
> Try this link:
>
> http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2006-01/1136215286.Mi.r.html

After a 404 and 2 forbidden - I gave up clicking the links.

Jet black as stated in my original post.

Information so far - its probably toxic.

I chucked it out the window - the birds aren't too keen on
it...................

Sep 20, 2016, 5:50:44 PM9/20/16
The link still works for me, but I am not using Windows.
Oh well. Virus Total says it is clean, but ...

https://virustotal.com/en/url/b4891bfdb9208fd9964cd2984798290d8f3e3f50e72c7320efaf996a1b881a7c/analysis/1474408157/

Poor birds!

Any squirrels around?

Benderthe.evilrobot

Sep 21, 2016, 4:21:04 PM9/21/16

"T" <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:nrsavc$os$1...@dont-email.me...
Apparently - if you put nuts in a bird feeder and squirrels keep raiding it,
shake chili powder in with the nuts. Squirrels won't eat it, but allegedly
it doesn't bother birds.

Sep 22, 2016, 12:28:37 AM9/22/16
On 09/21/2016 01:21 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

>> Any squirrels around?

> Apparently - if you put nuts in a bird feeder and squirrels keep raiding
> it, shake chili powder in with the nuts. Squirrels won't eat it, but
> allegedly it doesn't bother birds.

Confirmed! I work for a feed store. They sell a bird feeder
mix with chili seeds in it for such purposes. Birds are
not affected by hot spices.

If you have discovered dried Chimayo (New Mexico Red) peppers
(the taste in an enchilada), they are full of very hot
seeds. Just toss the seeds into your bird feeder seeds.

Benderthe.evilrobot

Sep 22, 2016, 5:04:59 PM9/22/16

"T" <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:nrvmlb$2vv$1...@dont-email.me...
> On 09/21/2016 01:21 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
>
>>> Any squirrels around?
>
>> Apparently - if you put nuts in a bird feeder and squirrels keep raiding
>> it, shake chili powder in with the nuts. Squirrels won't eat it, but
>> allegedly it doesn't bother birds.
>
> Confirmed! I work for a feed store. They sell a bird feeder
> mix with chili seeds in it for such purposes. Birds are
> not affected by hot spices.

The bread I threw out is still there (mostly) - the birds have been pecking
around the worst of the mold.

Sep 23, 2016, 4:52:44 PM9/23/16
If you have a garden, burying vegetable scraps makes for nice
nutrition for next years garden. I keep all my vegetable
scraps to dig under when prepping my planting areas.
Melon rids drive worms nuts. They love them.

Gardening is great for your blood sugar too.

Okay, your dirt may spit that bread slice back out at you
and complain about the quality of the meal you just served
it.

Okay, maybe not.

Benderthe.evilrobot

Sep 25, 2016, 2:57:19 PM9/25/16

"T" <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:ns44mi$dem$1...@dont-email.me...
> On 09/22/2016 02:05 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
>>
>> "T" <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Confirmed! I work for a feed store. They sell a bird feeder
>>> mix with chili seeds in it for such purposes. Birds are
>>> not affected by hot spices.
>>
>> The bread I threw out is still there (mostly) - the birds have been
>> pecking around the worst of the mold.
>

> If you have a garden, burying vegetable scraps makes for nice
> nutrition for next years garden. I keep all my vegetable
> scraps to dig under when prepping my planting areas.
> Melon rids drive worms nuts. They love them.

Its a block of flats with no gardens.

Anything I eat that's got seeds in it, the seeds get saved. At opportune
moments, they get strewn anywhere they might take should they decide to do
so.

Last winter when chestnuts were in season, I found a couple with sprouted
root - they were planted along the tree line behind the flats.

In future - if I see packets of seeds marked down to clear, I might do a bit
of random planting.

Sep 26, 2016, 1:42:09 AM9/26/16
On 09/25/2016 11:57 AM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

> Its a block of flats with no gardens.
>
> Anything I eat that's got seeds in it, the seeds get saved. At opportune
> moments, they get strewn anywhere they might take should they decide to
> do so.
>
> Last winter when chestnuts were in season, I found a couple with
> sprouted root - they were planted along the tree line behind the flats.
>
> In future - if I see packets of seeds marked down to clear, I might do a
> bit of random planting.

Do you have a place you can put out a pot with cherry tomatoes?
Patio? Balcony?

Benderthe.evilrobot

Sep 26, 2016, 4:14:59 PM9/26/16

"T" <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:nsacf6$t4p$3...@dont-email.me...
Maybe I could get some sort of hanging planter - but it doesn't look obvious
or convenient.

Any idea about mushroom spores? - I read somewhere that the spores have to
pass through an animal's gut before they do anything.

From time to time I see the odd solitary mushroom on a grass verge, last
time was through an industrial estate where horses probably never go - I've
never seen "road apples" there.

Sep 26, 2016, 8:22:05 PM9/26/16
On 09/26/2016 01:15 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:

> Any idea about mushroom spores? - I read somewhere that the spores have
> to pass through an animal's gut before they do anything.

No clue. Although I do know most are poisonous.

I'd get them from a nursery, where you know you are getting
edible ones

> From time to time I see the odd solitary mushroom on a grass verge, last
> time was through an industrial estate where horses probably never go -
> I've never seen "road apples" there.

Here is something yo might look at:

https://www.howdididoit.com/home-garden/how-to-grow-hanging-tomato-plants/

Here are the Diabetes stats on tomatoes:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2682/2

1 cup chopped or sliced:
Glycemic load: 2
Calories: 25.5 KCal
Carbs: 7.1 grams

The load is perfect for diabetics.

Benderthe.evilrobot

Sep 27, 2016, 3:50:13 PM9/27/16

"T" <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:nsce32$30t$1...@dont-email.me...
> On 09/26/2016 01:15 PM, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
>>

>> Any idea about mushroom spores? - I read somewhere that the spores have
>> to pass through an animal's gut before they do anything.
>
> No clue. Although I do know most are poisonous.

AFAIK: the book was referring to edible mushroom spores needing an animal's
gut - the poisonous ones seem to do just fine any which way.

A pack of large flat mushrooms had been in the fridge too long, the one I
cooked was leathery so what was left went out the window.

Both landed gills up so when I went past there, I turned them gills down. I
guess I'll find out if the spores have to be gastricated.

There was no visible evidence of any wildlife having tried to eat them.