Best Burgers?

Sa Quillen

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
So I'm enjoying my new grill (Weber Genesis Silver B) have had some
success with chicken breasts (a little dry but not too bad) and pork
tenderloins (perfect perfect, BBQ sauce that is hand-bottled by the local
BBQ stand).

The wife was running real late for dinner tonight, and we hadn't taken
anything out, so I asked her to stop at the store and grab some ground
beef and we could make burgers.

Once I got the meat, I wasn't sure how to season it, so I winged it - a
little season salt, a little Worcestershire sauce, a dash each of soy
sauce and Tabasco, and a little ground black pepper. I put them on the
grill at high heat to sear both sides, then turned the heat down to low,
took them off the grill proper and moved them up to the rack to finish
cooking.

The result was surprisingly good - they were done all the way through (no
red - my wife can't stand red. I feel differently) but still very moist
and juicy.

Having said that = a few questions.

I know that you're not supposed to 'press' the burgers, so you don't
squeeze the moisture out, but how do you keep them from balling up? I
started with a little over a pound of meat and made 4 burgers, so 1/4
pounders. When I put them on they were nice and flat, as they were at
the first turn. When I went to turn them the second time, they had drawn
up into burger balls. (not quite that bad but they were much thicker
than I would have liked). How do you keep a nice burger-shape?

Also - how does everyone else season their burgers? Any secrets? How
about the meat? The wife bought lean - and I was surprised when they
weren't dry as a bone. Should we get something a little more fatty?

Thanks,

Sq

--
//////////////////////////////////////////
/"I worry about my child and the Internet /

tmchilton

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
After you make the patties, make a depression in the center about the size
of a silver dollar and about 1/2 way down into the burger. This helps them
stay flat. The connective tissue shrinks when you cook it and draws the
meat in to the center of the burger. So, when you're finished cooking, no
more depression, just flat burgers.
I just season mine with salt and pepper. I grind my own meat from chuck
roasts that I think are about 20% fat.

Try them with avocados and grilled red onions as condiments!

Tom
"Sa Quillen" <carn...@r.e.m.o.v.e.fast.net> wrote in message

Brian Proud

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:41:04 -0400, Sa Quillen
<carn...@r.e.m.o.v.e.fast.net> wrote:

>I know that you're not supposed to 'press' the burgers, so you don't
>squeeze the moisture out, but how do you keep them from balling up? I
>started with a little over a pound of meat and made 4 burgers, so 1/4
>pounders. When I put them on they were nice and flat, as they were at
>the first turn. When I went to turn them the second time, they had drawn
>up into burger balls. (not quite that bad but they were much thicker
>than I would have liked). How do you keep a nice burger-shape?

Personally, I press them down(just enough to get the right shape, not
enough to squeeze out the moisture. Its delicate work). Either that
or press them into thin patties about 5x as thin as you'd think they
should be before putting them on the grill. Then, they'll ball up
nicely into the proper shape(don't ask me to explain it but it works
like that here and I don't ask questions, I just live with it) Anyone
got a better way?

>Also - how does everyone else season their burgers? Any secrets? How
>about the meat? The wife bought lean - and I was surprised when they
>weren't dry as a bone. Should we get something a little more fatty?

I regularly get regular. Course, we do add an egg and bread crumbs.
Seasoning is garlic, tabasco, soy, worcester, salt, pepper, and
sometimes other spices from the cabinet(depending on our mood). Not
much, only enough to give a hint of the spice.

Brian

Steve Calvin

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
Sa Quillen wrote:

> So I'm enjoying my new grill (Weber Genesis Silver B) have had some
> success with chicken breasts (a little dry but not too bad) and pork
> tenderloins (perfect perfect, BBQ sauce that is hand-bottled by the local
> BBQ stand).
>
> The wife was running real late for dinner tonight, and we hadn't taken
> anything out, so I asked her to stop at the store and grab some ground
> beef and we could make burgers.
>
> Once I got the meat, I wasn't sure how to season it, so I winged it - a
> little season salt, a little Worcestershire sauce, a dash each of soy
> sauce and Tabasco, and a little ground black pepper. I put them on the
> grill at high heat to sear both sides, then turned the heat down to low,
> took them off the grill proper and moved them up to the rack to finish
> cooking.
>
> The result was surprisingly good - they were done all the way through (no
> red - my wife can't stand red. I feel differently) but still very moist
> and juicy.
>
> Having said that = a few questions.
>
> I know that you're not supposed to 'press' the burgers, so you don't
> squeeze the moisture out, but how do you keep them from balling up? I
> started with a little over a pound of meat and made 4 burgers, so 1/4
> pounders. When I put them on they were nice and flat, as they were at
> the first turn. When I went to turn them the second time, they had drawn
> up into burger balls. (not quite that bad but they were much thicker
> than I would have liked). How do you keep a nice burger-shape?

Without going into a long expanation, burgers will always "plump in the
middle. The trick is to make the burgers slightly concave in the center
(read as form kind of a crater in the middle) The more done that you
like them, make the "crater" alittle "deeper". It will take some
practice and expect a few "oh wells" until you get it to your liking.

As for seasoning? Dunno, depends on what kind of mood I'm in when I
start looking in the cabinets for spices, etc.
--
Steve

Susie & Steve Wright

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
This technique works great. Think of the hamburger as a pizza crust and
that helped me explain it to my mom over the phone. She tried it that way
and loved it too.

For seasoning I like to use some Coleman's mustard, A 1 bold and spicy sauce
and Traildust steak seasoning and a drop of Wrights smoke.

Susan
Steve Calvin <cal...@vnet.ibm.com> wrote in message

Stephen & Lu Ann Yoder

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
To keep the burgers from balling up, make a depression in the middle. If
they're 3/4" thick at the edges, make them 1/2" thick in the middle. The
depression should be about 1/2 the circumference of the burger. Very
thorough article on this very subject in the July/August issue of Cook's
Illustrated Magazine.

--
-SRY

Sa Quillen <carn...@r.e.m.o.v.e.fast.net> wrote in message

> So I'm enjoying my new grill (Weber Genesis Silver B) have had some
> success with chicken breasts (a little dry but not too bad) and pork
> tenderloins (perfect perfect, BBQ sauce that is hand-bottled by the local
> BBQ stand).
>
> The wife was running real late for dinner tonight, and we hadn't taken
> anything out, so I asked her to stop at the store and grab some ground
> beef and we could make burgers.
>
> Once I got the meat, I wasn't sure how to season it, so I winged it - a
> little season salt, a little Worcestershire sauce, a dash each of soy
> sauce and Tabasco, and a little ground black pepper. I put them on the
> grill at high heat to sear both sides, then turned the heat down to low,
> took them off the grill proper and moved them up to the rack to finish
> cooking.
>
> The result was surprisingly good - they were done all the way through (no
> red - my wife can't stand red. I feel differently) but still very moist
> and juicy.
>
> Having said that = a few questions.
>
> I know that you're not supposed to 'press' the burgers, so you don't
> squeeze the moisture out, but how do you keep them from balling up? I
> started with a little over a pound of meat and made 4 burgers, so 1/4
> pounders. When I put them on they were nice and flat, as they were at
> the first turn. When I went to turn them the second time, they had drawn
> up into burger balls. (not quite that bad but they were much thicker
> than I would have liked). How do you keep a nice burger-shape?
>

> Also - how does everyone else season their burgers? Any secrets? How
> about the meat? The wife bought lean - and I was surprised when they
> weren't dry as a bone. Should we get something a little more fatty?

Steve in 309

Jul 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/18/00
I use pretty fatty ground beef (75-80% lean). One trick from an old TV ad
is to mix a package of Lipton onion soup mix with the ground beef. My kids
even like it. If your dealing with pre-formed patties, use the soup mix
like a rub, it still works pretty well.

Regards,
Newbie Steve

Brian Proud

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 07:07:01 -0400, Steve Calvin <cal...@vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

>Without going into a long expanation, burgers will always "plump in the
>middle. The trick is to make the burgers slightly concave in the center
>(read as form kind of a crater in the middle) The more done that you

I like it and am going to have to try it. Better than how I do it
anyway.

Brian

Chef Juke

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
"Let me tell you about the absolute best hamburger I've ever had in my
life..."

When I was growing up, my Norwegian grandparents bought a summer home
on the island of Grand Manan in the Bay of Fundy. The Bay of Fundy is
on the Eastern coast of Canada between Nova Scotia and the mainland of
New Brunswick and is known for having the highest tides in the world.
The island was a real throwback to the old seafaring days... just
about everyone fished or was in a business related to the sea. If
you've ever seen the movie Johnny Belinda, it was pretty much just
like that.

I'm sure my grandparents liked the place so much because it reminded
them of Norway. My grandfather had been sea captain (like his father
and grandfather before him) and when he retired (in 1960, three years
before I was born) he bought a beautiful small motor boat from a
boatyard in Norway that he had shipped over. During their summers in
Canada he would sail the beautiful lacquered wooden motorboat around
to the many small islands in the area.

I spent at least 2 weeks every summer from about 1968 to 1975 up there
visiting with them. Their house was one of the oldest on the island
and was a registered landmark. They had an organ from the 1800's in
the parlor which I loved to play (or at least pull the stops on and
try to play - like the phantom of the opera), and I remember that from
the dining room table we could look out and see whales spouting out in
the bay!

One winter in the early '70s My grandparents summer house burned down
under mysterious circumstances (there was a known firebug on the
island but since no one saw him do it...). They looked around for
another house but couldn't find one on Grand Manan that suited them.
There was a much smaller island nearby named White Head that they had
visited quite often, where they found a quaint little house that was
lovely but nowhere near as nice as the house on the big island had
been.

The island of White Head was about 5 square miles, and had probably no
more than 200 inhabitants. And, as you can imagine, just about all of
them worked in the fishing industry.

The island boasted a General Store, one church, a cannery, a post
office (but you had to go down and pick up your own mail as soon as
the ferry delivered it) and what seemed like a thousand fishing boats
of all sizes moored in the tiny harbor.

It was here on this idyllic little Norman Rockwellian island that I
was to discover the greatest hamburgers on the face of the planet.
My grandparents house was a small white "Cape Cod" style house, about
1 "block" down from the main pier where the small ferry to Grand Manan
island landed. Across the street from the house was the General Store
which always had a contingent of retired fishermen hanging about.

Two doors down from my grandparents house was a small building that I
soon found out was the local burger joint. Well, that might be a
misleading title, it was a very small building - not quite a shed, but
not quite a house or store either. It basically consisted of one room
with about three tables and a small counter with a grill behind it. I
don't think it had a sign of any kind on the outside, and it most
definitely did NOT keep regular hours.

It was run by a kindly older gentleman named Mr. Banks who would
alternate between lollygaggin at the general store across the street,
whittling & chewing the fat with the fishermen, and cooking burgers
for the kids on the island (who numbered about 35, all told). When he
saw a person walk up to his place, and if he was in the mood, he'd
saunter over and open 'er up for you. When you got inside he'd put on
his apron and ask you what you'd like (there wasn't any menu either
printed or on the wall).

Jim was one of the neighbor kids who I had met and became fast friends
with, took me over there one day and Mr. Banks made us hamburgers. He
asked if I'd ever had one of his specials before (knowing full well
that I hadn't) and then proceeded to make me one. He started up the
grill and put a little butter and then some sliced onions on it. As
the onions were cooking he told us he had just finished grinding up
some beef he had gotten from the farm and he went over to his
refrigerator and got two round balls of ground beef and started
shaping them into patties. I wondered which of the 4 cows on the
island had given up the ghost for the burgers we were about to have.

The room was starting to fill with the smell of the browning onions as
Mr. Banks put the burgers on the grill. He sprinkled some salt on the
burgers as they were cooking and then some other spices from a shaker.
He grabbed a handful of French fries from a big bucket full of water,
shook the excess water off of them, and then placed them in a deep
fryer basket. When he flipped the burgers he pulled out two big burger
buns, split them and put them on the grill next to the burgers to
brown. Then he put the fryer baskets down into the deep fryer. The oil
started to bubble and froth. After about a minute he pulled the buns
off the grill and started to apply the condiments.

Now as most kids where I come from will tell you, there are certain
rules and etiquette to applying condiments to kid food. The one big
rule in my neighborhood in Brooklyn was this: Ketchup goes on
*HAMBURGERS* and Mustard goes on *HOT DOGS* and never the other way
around. Any kid that put ketchup on a hot dog was just plain *WEIRD*!
And mustard on a hamburger? Eeeeeeeewww! So you can imagine my horror
as I watched Mr. Banks start squeezing mustard on to my hamburger bun.
Before I could regain my composure and utter my protest, he picked up
the ketchup and started squeezing red streaks into the yellow mustard.

"Hey," I said, "You can't do that!" "You're puttin' mustard on a
hamburger!"

"Why, sure I can," replied Mr. Banks with a chuckle "You just wait,
and see if you like it when it's done."

He then proceeded to put mayonnaise and lettuce on the bun bottoms. My
New York sensibilities of how things are supposed to be
notwithstanding, I held my tongue and let him continue. "When in
Rome..." I figured, "but boy, these Canucks sure are weird..." I
thought.

Mr. Banks took his spatula and slid the two burgers off the grill and
placed them on the bun bottoms. He then put a healthy dose of the
caramelized onions on top of the burgers and lightly pressed the
ketchup & mustard laced bun tops onto the burgers. He pulled the fryer
baskets out of the oil and shook the extra oil off of them. He then
dumped the French fries into a big colander in the sink next to him.

He put a healthy (?) heap of fries on each of our plates and placed
the burgers next to them and then handed them over the counter to us.
We sat down quickly and started in.

Now, even at the tender age of 9, I was no novice to the world of fine
dining. Growing up in New York I was exposed to many different
cuisines in those few short years and had learned to appreciate foods
ranging from the spicy Jamaican Beef Patties sold in my neighborhood
in Brooklyn, to the Fiskeballer my Bestemor (that's Norwegian for
Grandmother) made, to the food at Yang's restaurant in Chinatown, to
the chopped liver my Godmother Selma made (I loved the stuff, even
though I usually HATED liver!!). And hamburgers I was an expert on.

But I have to tell you, as soon as I took my first bite of the
hamburger that was before me, I knew that this was far and away the
best hamburger I had ever tasted! It wasn't even close! No hamburger I
had ever had before made my taste buds dance for joy the way that this
one did. Not the big juicy ones my dad made after marinating them in
Wishbone Italian salad dressing, not the charbroiled ones at the
barbecue hut we went to on Utica avenue sometimes, and certainly not
the one's from McWhatshisface the clown!

No, this was on a totally different level altogether. If a McDonald's
burger was a Sopwith Camel, this burger was Apollo 11! If a Whopper
was a bicycle, this burger was a Ferrari!

I mean, the way the flavors swirled around in my mouth, the juice, the
mayo, the beef, the sweet of the onions and the ketchup intermingling
with the sharp twang of the mustard, the slightly toasted bun, .

Mmmmmmmm.... Jim and I ate our burgers and I told Mr. Banks that I'd
never in my life tasted a burger as good as his. He seemed genuinely
pleased that I liked his burgers so much. He smiled the big friendly
smile of his and he told me that anytime I wanted one to just come and
find him wherever he was (kinda hard not too be able to find someone
on an island this small, he said) and he'd open up just to make one
for me.

Over the course of the next two weeks I probably ate about 30 of those
burgers, a little over two a day. My Bestemor was probably curious as
to why I didn't seem as interested in her fiskeballer any more but I'm
sure she figured it out eventually. I spent almost every last cent of
the vacation money my Mom had given me on those burgers. Mr. Banks
would have thought my folks starved me at home if it weren't for my
fairly husky size.

Now of course, I did do a lot of other things on those trips up to the
great white north besides eat hamburger's at Mr. Banks. I was invited
to go out one morning on a Cod Fishing boat and spent about 6 hours in
the dark & cold & wet thinking how cool it was that the fishermen let
me drink coffee and how, even though I didn't catch a single cod, I
DID catch a baby shark about 1 foot long! And having my Grandfather
pilot us around to the other small islands to pick gooseberries and
wildflowers, was really cool. But, man, I still can't get those
burgers out of my mind

In 1976 my Mom & I moved out to California and two years later my
Grandparents sold the house up on White Head. My Grandfather was
getting on and couldn't pilot the boat anymore and it was just too
expensive to maintain as just a summer house.

I heard recently from my Bestemor that Mr. Banks had passed away, and
I couldn't help thinking about those burgers again. Then an Email
discussion about hamburgers started at work and, well, I figured that
I'd throw my 2 cents-er better make that a dollar, in.

I don't know if anyone still makes burgers in that place, don't even
know if the building is still there. I feel kinda sad that I didn't
get a chance to go back there while I was still a kid but, maybe I can
take my daughters Sofia and Isabel there someday. And I'll just bet
that if that funny little building is still there, and the grill is
too, and if I can find someone to let me in, and if there's still a
cow or two left on the island, I'll just have to try and make them
each one of Mr. Bank's specials...

-Chef Juke

Jeff Edwards

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
"Chef Juke" <ju...@chef.net> wrote in message

> Now as most kids where I come from will tell you, there are certain
> rules and etiquette to applying condiments to kid food. The one big
> rule in my neighborhood in Brooklyn was this: Ketchup goes on
> *HAMBURGERS* and Mustard goes on *HOT DOGS* and never the other way
> around. Any kid that put ketchup on a hot dog was just plain *WEIRD*!
> And mustard on a hamburger? Eeeeeeeewww! So you can imagine my horror
> as I watched Mr. Banks start squeezing mustard on to my hamburger bun.
> Before I could regain my composure and utter my protest, he picked up
> the ketchup and started squeezing red streaks into the yellow mustard.

Funny: here in Texas most of the old-timers consider it blasphemy to put
ketchup on a hamburger. I grew up referring to that as a yankee-burger.
Mustard, on the other hand, is an accepted standard. Visit the popular
Texas chain Whataburger, and you always get mustard - no ketchup. Ketchup
is for fries only.
--
Jeff Edwards
para...@airmail.net

dog7

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
> Funny: here in Texas most of the old-timers consider it blasphemy to put
> ketchup on a hamburger. I grew up referring to that as a yankee-burger.
> Mustard, on the other hand, is an accepted standard. Visit the popular
> Texas chain Whataburger, and you always get mustard - no ketchup. Ketchup
> is for fries only.

My favorite place to eat burgers in Austin, TX was a place called Dirty's.
It was also called the Kumback lounge or something. Anyways, I went in there
one time with my nephew and he asked for barbecue sauce on his burger. The
guy at the counter looked at him like he was crazy, said allright, and
reached into the counter under the sink and pulled out a crusty bottle from
behind the clorox.

I'd never seen anyone turn that green before. Kid ate the burger, though.

My vote for best burgers OTH was a place near the university in an old
railroad car. It was called mad dog or dog and beans (sorry, it's been a
while and I just don't remember the names anymore). Great Burgers and an
awsome chili burger if you asked me.

Dave Douglass

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
CJ-

A very satisfying yarn indeed and even though it's early in the morning as
I read this, it makes me yearn for one of mister Banks' burgers with some
of his fries on the side. Thanks for taking the time to craft this short
story.

Dave

--
DAVE DOUGLASS-ILLUSTRATOR
http://www.DaveDouglass.com

Steve

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
to ju...@chef.net
Many thanks!

In my little south Jersea town we have just such a man - and when the
daily supply of beef runs out, he closes the door.

I really enjoyed your recollection as it really is a reality for many
of us.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Sa Quillen

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
had this thought...

> I heard recently from my Bestemor that Mr. Banks had passed away, and
> I couldn't help thinking about those burgers again. Then an Email
> discussion about hamburgers started at work and, well, I figured that
> I'd throw my 2 cents-er better make that a dollar, in.

I'm glad you took the time to set it all down for us - great story.

Scottq

Margie

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
"Chef Juke" <ju...@chef.net> wrote in message
> "Let me tell you about the absolute best hamburger I've ever had in my
> life..."
>
> When I was growing up, my Norwegian grandparents bought a summer home
> on the island of Grand Manan in the Bay of Fundy. <snip great long story
about Mr. Banks and his "specials">

Great story- but, it begs this question: how much of a role is
sentimentality playing in our memories of 'best burgers'? I know I
definitely have sentimental favorites. They tasted great, to be sure, but I
know my memories around them enhance the nostalgia ;-)

margie
--
remove x's to reply

Harry A. Demidavicius

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:18:48 -0700, Chef Juke <ju...@chef.net> wrote:

>"Let me tell you about the absolute best hamburger I've ever had in my
>life..."

snip of nice story
>-Chef Juke

That was a very nice remembrance. Thank you for sharing it.
Harry

Chef Juke

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:18:11 -0700, "Margie"
<schXultz_...@hotXmail.com> wrote:

>"Chef Juke" <ju...@chef.net> wrote in message

>> "Let me tell you about the absolute best hamburger I've ever had in my
>> life..."
>>
>> When I was growing up, my Norwegian grandparents bought a summer home

>> on the island of Grand Manan in the Bay of Fundy. <snip great long story
>about Mr. Banks and his "specials">
>
>Great story- but, it begs this question: how much of a role is
>sentimentality playing in our memories of 'best burgers'? I know I
>definitely have sentimental favorites. They tasted great, to be sure, but I
>know my memories around them enhance the nostalgia ;-)
>
>margie

Margie,

Well, heck....probably a lot. Time, place, company and context play a
major role in our perceptions of food (actually, some studies have
shown that the color of a room that you are dining in can affect how
people perceive the taste of some foods).

And like the old adage says, "it's never as good as the first time".
This story was about the first time that I had had a hamburger that
was outside my previous experience of what a hamburger was. Now,
since that time (about 30 years ago) I have had many, many hamburgers
(as well as lots of other interesting foods), having worked for over
18 years in the restaurant business, and my guess is that if someone
came up to me today and handed me a Mr. Banks' special it would not
seem as EARTH-SHATTERING to me now as it did then...BUT...my guess is
that I would still think that it was a pretty good burger.

Yes, if I was to make one today I would probably use fresh meat
instead of frozen (although Mr. banks meat was from a steer from the
island) and I would likely grill it over charcoal instead of on a
griddle. But that doesn't mean that I wouldn't appreciate a good,
simple Mr. Banks burger

A related experience I have had is that, since a lot of friends know
that I have worked in some pretty upscale restaurants and also studied
cooking, when they have me over for a meal they will often apologize
ahead of time because they're not making something "as fancy as you're
used to...". I explain to them that just because I eat filet mignon
some nights doesn't mean that I don't enjoy some chili mac casserole
on others. And I have had some darn good chil-mac casseroles in my
time.
:-)

So, yeah, time and place and company have a LOT to do with our lasting
perception of burgers, and just about everything else.

But I still lick my lips every time I tell the story of Mr. Banks.
And sometimes I can even swear that can make out the smell of onions
frying somewhere not too far of....

Chef Juke

David K

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00
That would be Dirty Martin's Kumback. I can't recall how many times they
have been on the Health Department report... but it is good. The Health
Department made them stop pressing the meat patties down on top of the flat
griddle. They claimed that splattering grease was a health hazard.... I
know we are not supposed to press the patties, but over a flat griddle it
seems to me it would be OK.... go figure... government...

Some of the best burgers in Austin can still be found at Hut's on west
6th.... they even have buffalo meat if you ask for it. But I always go for
"The Sink Burger"... has everything on it, but the kitchen sink!

"dog7" <da...@telepoxt.com> wrote in message

dog7

Jul 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/19/00

"David K" <wdke...@swbell.net> wrote in message

> That would be Dirty Martin's Kumback. I can't recall how many times they
> have been on the Health Department report... but it is good. The Health
> Department made them stop pressing the meat patties down on top of the
flat
> griddle.

Yep, they would dump a pound of grey meat on the griddle and whack it flat.

They claimed that splattering grease was a health hazard.... I
> know we are not supposed to press the patties, but over a flat griddle it
> seems to me it would be OK.... go figure... government...

Some of the best malts, too. Do you know if they still have the old toilets
dumped out in front?

G Wiv

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:18:11 -0700, "Margie"
<schXultz_...@hotXmail.com> wrote:

>Great story- but, it begs this question: how much of a role is
>sentimentality playing in our memories of 'best burgers'?

<snip>

"Anybody who doesn't think that the best hamburger place in the world
is in his home town is a sissy."

---Calvin Trillin---

Chef Juke

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00
On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 00:29:57 GMT, "Garth w2k" <res0...@gte.net>
wrote:

>You sure are long winded Mr. Chef. Newsgroups are for folks who get to the
>point fast. There are plenty of perfectly worded stories in the media.
>News groups are for no nonsence, to the point, to get on with our life
>people who just want the facts and not all the beer batter to cut through
>for an answer.
>
>Regards,

Uh, Garth?

Unless you can point me to a specific FAQ that requires a post to this
newsgroup to be no-nonsense, to the point (other than being on topic
as related to the topic of the newsgroup), and/or specifically
designed to allow you, personally, to get on with your life, then I
beg to differ.

I posted an on-topic reply to a message asking about "Best burgers"
that people had eaten.

Long?

Perhaps.

To the point.

Definitely.

I hope no one forced you to read the entire message if it was not
something you wanted to do. Usually people have a choice in such
matters.

If you have a newsgroup reader that doesn't allow you to peruse
message headers and their length, then I would gladly point you in the
direction of some popular ones. Additionally, if you were downloading
the message with an old 2400 baud modem and were concerned at how long
it took to download a message that you didn't want to read, again, I
can point you in the direction of a number of much faster, relatively
inexpensive modems that will alleviate your problem.

Finally, your message aside, I recieved 16 emails and 5 newsgroup
replies, thanking me for posting that story. I would suggest that if
your major concerns are getting things done quickly and being
no-nonsense about things, then perhaps alt.food.barbecue is not for
you. I mean, to make good 'cue ya gotta take yer time, kick back and
relax a little.

Gotta go. Albertson's is having a sale on Brisket & Baby Backs....

-Chef Juke

SteveRdRcr

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00
Garth w2k wrote:

> You sure are long winded Mr. Chef. Newsgroups are for folks who get to the
> point fast. There are plenty of perfectly worded stories in the media.
> News groups are for no nonsence, to the point, to get on with our life
> people who just want the facts and not all the beer batter to cut through
> for an answer.
>
> Regards,

Hey don't read it if you did not like the long post(BTW it was great)
and Mr.Usenet pro, you did REpost the whole story and did not edit it,
so how much"beer batter" did you cut out? dang.

dog7

Jul 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/21/00

"Garth w2k" <res0...@gte.net> wrote in message

> You sure are long winded Mr. Chef. Newsgroups are for folks who get to
the
> point fast. There are plenty of perfectly worded stories in the media.
> News groups are for no nonsence, to the point, to get on with our life
> people who just want the facts and not all the beer batter to cut through
> for an answer.
>
> Regards,

Hey Jerk!

Don't you think it's more than a coincidence everybody else LIKED the story?

When they rewrite the FAQ and appoint you the newsgroup cop, then you can
come back and lecture, until then piss off!

And have a nice day, prick.

Garth w2k

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
To keep them flat, make the patties, then put them in the freezer to get
them real cold or freeze them, then throw them on the BBQ and cook 5 to 6
minutes each side for great taste and good looks.

Bon Apetit

Garth w2k

Phil McCarthy

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
Thanks for the story.... & the recipe!!

Cuchulain Libby

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00

> To keep them flat, make the patties, then put them in the freezer to get
> them real cold or freeze them, then throw them on the BBQ and cook 5 to 6
> minutes each side for great taste and good looks.
>
> Bon Apetit

So you top post and don't edit for clarity. YET you claim to be an expert
when it comes to brevity.

Garth,
I bought a rack of pork spare ribs tonite, how do you suggest I barbecue
them?

As for patties, I like to smoosh 'em out between wax paper or do the
center-pocket trick, either works very well.

-Cuchulain

Harry A. Demidavicius

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
wrote:

>You sure are long winded Mr. Chef. Newsgroups are for folks who get to the

>point fast. There are plenty of perfectly worded stories in the media.
>News groups are for no nonsence, to the point, to get on with our life
>people who just want the facts and not all the beer batter to cut through
>for an answer.
>
>Regards,

And who appointed you webmaster? And who pulled your head down into
this story? He warned you it was a lengthy post. If you are so darn
busy, switch to rec.bbq.ReadersDigest for your reading habits.

Harry D.

>"Chef Juke" <ju...@chef.net> wrote in message
>> "Let me tell you about the absolute best hamburger I've

>ever had in mylife..

Charles Demas

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
In article <pu8e5.5864$z12....@typhoon.austin.rr.com>,

You roll 'em into a ball, cover with waxed paper, and whack 'em with
the flat end of a big unopened can of peaches. I like canned peaches.

This is much faster, and more uniform than trying to shape them by hand.

If they're reasonably thin, 1/4 lb. or less meat, they don't
really need that center depression, but it wouldn't hurt.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,

Jack Schidt

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00

Garth w2k <res0...@gte.net> wrote in message

> You sure are long winded Mr. Chef. Newsgroups are for
folks who get to the
> point fast. There are plenty of perfectly worded stories
in the media.
> News groups are for no nonsence, to the point, to get on
with our life
> people who just want the facts and not all the beer batter
to cut through
> for an answer.
>
> Regards,

now, now, let's not attack a poster for long windedness. It
was a long tale, albeit boring (to me anyway) but I
struggled through it and didn't flinch. If someone talked
that much in a barroom, I'd have switched stools, but here
in a ng, you can choose to skip it. Besides, he did have
the decency to warn us in the subject line.

Jack

keep posting, Juke; I'm nearly always interested in what you
have to say

Edwin Pawlowski

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
> Garth w2k <res0...@gte.net> wrote in message
> > You sure are long winded Mr. Chef. Newsgroups are for
> folks who get to the
> > point fast. There are plenty of perfectly worded stories
> in the media.
> > News groups are for no nonsence, to the point, to get on
> with our life
> > people who just want the facts and not all the beer batter
> to cut through
> > for an answer.
> >
> > Regards,

Look at your message and see how it could have been condensed.

Join my crusade to eliminate redundancy and repetitiveness as well as
un-needed wordiness and things of that sort.
Ed
e...@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

G Wiv

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 11:21:48 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net>
wrote:

>Join my crusade to eliminate redundancy and repetitiveness as well as
>un-needed wordiness and things of that sort.

Ed,

You are being slightly oblique, would you please recapitulate?

Regards,
Gary

LeeBat

Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
I tried something with burgers recently which seems to have been pretty
successful so I'm passing it along FWIW.

We recently developed a taste for bacon swiss cheese burgers. Raw bacon strips
laid atop the meat aren't cooked enough when the burgers are done so I pre-fry
the bacon a bit first.

After cooking the bacon one night, I wondered what the affect would be if I
mixed a little rendered bacon fat (cooled, of course) into the ground meat.

Everyone raved these were the best burgers within memory etc etc while I just
murmured "Aw, shucks". (Personally, I thought they were good but not *that*
good.)

Anyway, that's now become my modus operandi till I get another bright idea.

We have lean beef custom ground by our butcher to assure its quality and I mix
in about a third ground pork. I like a manly burger at least an inch thick (no
sissy patties for me) and the only other condiments are coarse ground pepper
and a little soy mixed in.

I believe most, if not all, the bacon fat is rendered out during the grilling
process leaving only the flavor. If not, I don't really much care ....

LeeBat
....you gotta die from something

Tyler Hopper

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00

We make a couple of very thin patties per burger. Then put on what ever we feel
like (jalapenos, onions, mustard, etc.) on one of the patties. Put the second on
top of the first and pinch the edges together. Grill and scarf.

Tyler Hopper

Cuchulain Libby

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00

"Tyler Hopper" <tho...@postoffice.swbell.net> wrote

> We make a couple of very thin patties per burger. Then put on what ever we
feel
> like (jalapenos, onions, mustard, etc.) on one of the patties. Put the
second on
> top of the first and pinch the edges together. Grill and scarf.
>
> --
> Tyler Hopper

If you are stuck with 90/10 you can use the same technique with ice chips.
This is an old pre-zen trick from the days when grilling burgers = hockey
pucks. I've done it with blue cheese also, quite good.

-C

G Wiv

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00
On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:00:36 GMT, "Cuchulain Libby"
<cuch...@satx.rr.com> wrote:

>If you are stuck with 90/10 you can use the same technique with ice chips.

<snip>

Frozen compound butter works well.

Cuchulain Libby

Jul 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/27/00

"G Wiv" <gw...@enteract.com> wrote in message

Better, Gary, works *better*. Forgot about that...

-C

Bill

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00

Cuchulain Libby wrote:

Needless to say, there is such a thing as 'compound butter' and I am
certain that is what Gary was refering to. Does indeed work well, maybe
even 'better'.
Bill

LeeBat

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
Tyler Hopper wrote:

>We make a couple of very thin patties per burger. Then put on what ever we
>feel
>like (jalapenos, onions, mustard, etc.) on one of the patties. Put the second
>on
>top of the first and pinch the edges together. Grill and scarf.

See, there's always yet another way. Your method sounds really tasty. I'll give
it a try.
Thanks.

Cuchulain Libby

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00

"Bill" <bill...@postoffice.swbell.net> wrote in message
Not to get too picayune, but I was replacing 'well' in Gary's post. IOW.
compound butter would work better than ice chips. Sorry for any confusion...

-C

Scott Franz

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
In article <20000724055021...@ng-fi1.aol.com>,

lee...@aol.com (LeeBat) wrote:
> I tried something with burgers recently which seems to have been
pretty
> successful so I'm passing it along FWIW.
>
> We recently developed a taste for bacon swiss cheese burgers. Raw
bacon strips
> laid atop the meat aren't cooked enough when the burgers are done so I
pre-fry
> the bacon a bit first.
>
> After cooking the bacon one night, I wondered what the affect would be
if I
> mixed a little rendered bacon fat (cooled, of course) into the ground
meat.

Along those same lines, I just tried out an idea from Steve Raichlin's
new book which consists of making Bacon-Onion Butter and imbedding a big
ol' slab of it in the middle of the patty before tossing on the grill.

The butter consists of frying several strips of lean bacon in some
butter and then adding a chopped onion. Cook until golden brown and
cool to room temp. Add the rest of the stick of butter, some spicy
mustard and fresh ground pepper. Roll it all up into a cylinder in
plastic wrap and put it back in the fridge until it hardens.

When you're ready for the burgers, just wack off a piece and stick it in
the middle of the patty.

Awfully good stuff.

Scott

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/