Seeking guidance

Pete Romfh

Jul 28, 2002, 1:14:21 AM7/28/02
Oh Great Q-Guru's;
I, your most unworthy disciple, have lurked in the wings for some months
now. I have listened carefully to your words of wisdom. I have studied
diligently the pages of the Holy FAQ that I might not anger the Smoke Gods
(and Godesses) by asking things that I might have learned from those vast
and wise writings.
I have practiced some simple elements of The Great Craft with oven ribs,
several sacrificial chickens, and a small brisket carefully and patiently
smoked on the alter of an ECB.
As I have not sullied myself with lighter fluid, nor practiced the sloth of
Lazy-Q (the worst form of propane-ity) I feel that am now ready to reward
myself with a true smoker.

I have searched the realms of custom pits as I live but a few blocks from
the Mecca of Klose. But these items are beyond my mortal (and financial)
means. I also have examined the wares of the merchants of New Braunfels.
While the Black Diamond had great beauty and the Bandera vast size, they
both seem to be made from thinner stock. They are also quite large and would
fill the patio of my humble abode nearly completely.

While seeking other provisions at the Market of Lowes I found what seems to
be a suitable pit. Forged by the craftsmen at Brinkmann is the model called
Cimmaron. It is modest in scope, with a mere 460 Sq Inches. But it is made
of 1/4 inch plate and has a large, offset firebox to hold the magic lumps. I
searched the Holy FAQ for enlightenment on this version of alter but found
no mention of it. The crafty merchant at Lowes is asking for about $400 of
my precious dollars. But I observe that the device has a 75 year limited
warranty and seems sturdy enough to stand the ravages of time and heat.

So, Oh Great Ones, I humbly ask for your learned opinions of the Brinkmann
Cimmaron as my resident alter to the great Q-God(s).

I await your considered thoughts with gratitude. =;)
--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
Houston, TX

frohe

Jul 28, 2002, 4:39:41 AM7/28/02
"Pete Romfh" <spamb...@yourISP.com> wrote in message

> Oh Great Q-Guru's;
> I, your most unworthy disciple, have lurked in the wings for some months
> now. I have listened carefully to your words of wisdom. I have studied
> diligently the pages of the Holy FAQ that I might not anger the Smoke Gods
> (and Godesses) by asking things that I might have learned from those vast
> and wise writings.

** the remainder of your message cut for brevity's sake **

It's the cook and not the cooker than makes for good Q, Pete. I've had the
Q of folks who spent thousands on their cooker and politely spat it out the
first opportunity I got. My advice is to get the cooker you feel comfy with
(and can afford) and spend time learning how to crank out good Q from it.

BTW, you really know how to sling it! lol
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Cuchulain Libby

Jul 28, 2002, 7:03:36 AM7/28/02
"Pete Romfh" <spamb...@yourISP.com> wrote in message
> Oh Great Q-Guru's;
[snip a good groveling]

> So, Oh Great Ones, I humbly ask for your learned opinions of the Brinkmann
> Cimmaron as my resident alter to the great Q-God(s).
>
> I await your considered thoughts with gratitude. =;)

Sounds like a Longhorn clone, the 2-chamber from NB/OK Joe's that Sam's
sells. If so, then hie thee to yon pit proprietor that ye may join us on our
quest, Brother.

-Hound

Matthew L. Martin

Jul 28, 2002, 8:10:42 AM7/28/02
Pete Romfh wrote:
> Oh Great Q-Guru's;

> I have practiced some simple elements of The Great Craft with oven ribs,
> several sacrificial chickens, and a small brisket carefully and patiently
> smoked on the alter of an ECB.

With the modifications from the FAQ and a new fire pot, you might find a
lot of life in that ECB. Take a look a the websited linked in my sig.
I've also used the minion method and gotten a five hour burn on one
fueling with my rig.

Matthew

--
<http://member.newsguy.com/~mlmartin/>

Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
You can't break even.
You can't get out of the game.

Jaybe

Jul 28, 2002, 9:31:08 AM7/28/02

"Matthew L. Martin" <mlma...@me.com> wrote in message

I've seen those smokers at Sam's and one of the Wal-Mart Super stores and
they should work ok. Only thing I can see that might be a prob for myself is
the rather small firebox. The ones I build for my friends and family have
min 20 X 20 firebox. The larger has 24 X 24 box. Lots of wood and let it
burn down.

Good luck Jaybe

Louis Cohen

Jul 28, 2002, 10:08:24 PM7/28/02
Why not a WSM - popular price and by all accounts a very nice rig.

--

Regards from sunny San Leandro

Louis Cohen
http://home.attbi.com/~louiscohen
N37° 43' 7" W122° 8' 42"

"When I came to California I had nothing,
and now I owe two millions of dollars"- John C. Frémont

Pete Romfh

Aug 10, 2002, 7:40:27 PM8/10/02
frohe wrote:
> It's the cook and not the cooker than makes for good Q,

Louis Cohen commented:

> Why not a WSM - popular price and by all accounts a very
> nice rig.

I pondered the wisdom of these sages and several others who offered
their insight and experience. I also consulted the ultimate authority in
domestic matters, my spouse of 32 years. She offered two additional
great truths for me to contemplate:

1. No true relationship has ever been shown between the size/cost of
a BBQ pit and any portion of the male anatomy. =;>

2. If that relationship were indeed true, I should be looking for a
Smokey Joe Junior or stovetop smoker. =;(

Since the merchant at a local hardware emporium has discounted prices
*and* 15% off all BBQ's last weekend I hurried by and gave him $159
for a fine new WSM. After throwing in a bag of lump, some hickory
chunks, and a chimney I was only down $200 total. Another $12 for
a thermometer which I drilled a hole to mount and I was ready to go.

My life is totally changed now. Anything that's not tied down in the kitchen
is getting a run through the smoker. I've tried the following so far this
week:

A butterflied chicken injected w/ beer and garlic salt then rubbed w/ sage.
A pork tenderloin stuffed w/ habanero jelly and rubbed w/ TexJoy
Vine-ripe tomatoes, halved and brushed w/ garlic oil, topped w/ fresh basil.
Yellow bell pepper halves, filled in the last few minutes w/ smoked
provolone
A dozen cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped jalapenos (Atomic buffalo turds)
A salmon fillet basted w/ herb butter then served w/ yogurt-dill sauce

My spouse gently, but firmly, took away my matches when I offered
to smoke some hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Same thing for ice cream.

She used the term obsessive so she probably isn't a convert to"the faith"
just yet. I'll take her to dinner at "The church of the Holy Smoke" and
I'm sure she'll see that the "true light" is applied to paper in the
chimney.

A thousand thank you's to all who provided guidance during the start
of my quest.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.

frohe

Aug 11, 2002, 4:13:51 AM8/11/02

> frohe wrote:
> > It's the cook and not the cooker than makes for good Q,
>
> Louis Cohen commented:
> > Why not a WSM - popular price and by all accounts a very
> > nice rig.
>
> I pondered the wisdom of these sages and several others who offered
> their insight and experience.

Wow! I'm a sage. Now if I could just turn into some rosemary and basil,
I'd have it made.

> She used the term obsessive so she probably isn't a convert to"the faith"
> just yet.

Just learn how to cook on your WSM and in no time she'll be singing praises
of your Q.

Jack Schidt

Aug 11, 2002, 5:26:54 AM8/11/02

"frohe" <frohe@NOS_PAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Pete Romfh" <spamb...@yourISP.com> wrote in message
> > frohe wrote:
> > > It's the cook and not the cooker than makes for good Q,
> >
> > Louis Cohen commented:
> > > Why not a WSM - popular price and by all accounts a very
> > > nice rig.
> >
> > I pondered the wisdom of these sages and several others who offered
> > their insight and experience.
>
> Wow! I'm a sage. Now if I could just turn into some rosemary and basil,
> I'd have it made.

Well you got hints of onion and garlic too, you old coot. ;-O

Jack

frohe

Aug 11, 2002, 6:02:20 PM8/11/02
"Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net> wrote in message

> Well you got hints of onion and garlic too, you old coot. ;-O

Mmmmmm... garlic and onions... Two of my favorite heart foods.

<cupping hand over mouth and nose while exhaling> Dang! I thought I
brushed and gargled enough. Back to the bathroom.

Hehehehe... who you calling an old coot? Ya young whippersnapper!

Jack Schidt

Aug 11, 2002, 7:45:14 PM8/11/02

"frohe" <frohe@NOS_PAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

"Young" is a relative term, dude! Garlic and Onion are two of my best
compliments!

Jack

Pete Romfh

Aug 20, 2002, 9:45:40 PM8/20/02