Klose 20x42 Smoker Arrived

JohnG

May 14, 2003, 9:44:35 PM5/14/03
I'm no where near as colorful as Hound is in expressing my continuance
as a rust head, but I'm happy to say my 20x42 arrived today. Can't
wait to fire it up for my first cook.

JohnG

Dave Bugg

May 14, 2003, 9:56:42 PM5/14/03

That's a Damned Fine piece 'o steel, John. Congrats.
--
Dave

Thomas Cormen

May 14, 2003, 10:55:00 PM5/14/03
John, allow me to give you a simple tip or two for using your 20x42.

First, did it come with a ball valve under the grease opening? (Can
you tell that mine didn't?) If not, get one, and get a piece of pipe
4"-6" long to put under it. Then you can just stick a jar (like a
mayonnaise jar) underneath, and control the grease outflow with the
ball valve.

Second, if yours is like mine, in the firebox is a piece of extended
metal with two parallel ridges. Place it with the ridges UP and
parallel to the long direction of the smoker. Put your logs across
the ridges (perpendicular to the long direction). That'll help keep
air flowing underneath the logs, which will keep them burning and not
smoldering.

A third tip at no extra charge...although there's a baffle between the
firebox and the main chamber, you'll find that it's still quite warm
in the chamber near the firebox hole. The baffle helps, but not all
that much. Conversely, you will find that the lower grate at the end
farthest from the firebox does not get very warm at all...you'll be
able to keep cooked meat warm there, but you won't be able to cook any
meat that's at that far end.

Congrats on your new 600-lb baby.

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Associate Professor Fax: (603) 646-1672
Dept. of Computer Science Email: t...@cs.dartmouth.edu
Dartmouth College URL: http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755-3510

Louis Cohen

May 15, 2003, 12:44:37 AM5/15/03
Congratulations and best of luck with it.

--

Regards

Louis Cohen
N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"JohnG" <colos...@cablespeed.com> wrote in message

Howard R. Bricker

May 15, 2003, 6:26:21 AM5/15/03
"Thomas Cormen" <t...@salsipuedes.cs.dartmouth.edu> wrote in message
Most of this looks applicable to my NB Silver. Thanks.

The Bricker said that

Cuchulain Libby

May 15, 2003, 8:19:37 AM5/15/03

"JohnG" <colos...@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
> I'm no where near as colorful as Hound is in expressing my continuance
> as a rust head, but I'm happy to say my 20x42 arrived today. Can't
> wait to fire it up for my first cook.

Congratulations and Kudos for resisting the siren call of the pottryheads.

-Hound

JohnG

May 16, 2003, 2:51:17 PM5/16/03
> First, did it come with a ball valve under the grease opening? (Can
> you tell that mine didn't?)

Yes, I got the brass ball valve. I was planning on hanging and old
paint can under it.

> Second, if yours is like mine, in the firebox is a piece of extended
> metal with two parallel ridges. Place it with the ridges UP and
> parallel to the long direction of the smoker. Put your logs across
> the ridges (perpendicular to the long direction). That'll help keep
> air flowing underneath the logs, which will keep them burning and not
> smoldering.

Thanks for the tip.

> A third tip at no extra charge...although there's a baffle between the
> firebox and the main chamber, you'll find that it's still quite warm
> in the chamber near the firebox hole. The baffle helps, but not all
> that much. Conversely, you will find that the lower grate at the end
> farthest from the firebox does not get very warm at all...you'll be
> able to keep cooked meat warm there, but you won't be able to cook any
> meat that's at that far end.

What about some ABTs? Does it get hot enough at the lower far end for
them?

> Congrats on your new 600-lb baby.

Yeah, and it's a true 600-lbs. It was quite a bit of work to get it
from the front on the house to back. Hit the grass out back and
watched it sink 2-3 inches. Had to use some 2x4s to roll it on to get
it to it's final spot.

JohnG

May 16, 2003, 2:55:26 PM5/16/03
> Congratulations and Kudos for resisting the siren call of the pottryheads.
>
> -Hound

It's hard to resist. A #3K would be a nice replacement for my Weber
Spirit 500 gas grill.

JohnG

Thomas Cormen

May 16, 2003, 5:48:50 PM5/16/03
colos...@cablespeed.com (JohnG) writes:

> Yes, I got the brass ball valve. I was planning on hanging and old
> paint can under it.

Just make sure you have a cover for the can so you can close it up
after it's filled with dee-licious grease.

> What about some ABTs? Does it get hot enough at the lower far end for
> them?

Beats me. Although I'm a regular lurker/occasional poster here, I
don't recall having ever heard of ABTs before. I just googled to see
what they are.

> Yeah, and it's a true 600-lbs. It was quite a bit of work to get it
> from the front on the house to back. Hit the grass out back and
> watched it sink 2-3 inches. Had to use some 2x4s to roll it on to get
> it to it's final spot.

First time I used mine on a warm day, it left some permanent
depressions in my paved driveway. Now I lay a couple of thin plywood
pieces beneath the wheels to spread out the weight.

For photos of what it looks like fully loaded, check out
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/bbq02/01.jpg and
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/bbq02/05.jpg. If you're thinking that the
ribs on the right are getting burned, you're right.

JohnG

May 16, 2003, 9:43:01 PM5/16/03
> Beats me. Although I'm a regular lurker/occasional poster here, I
> don't recall having ever heard of ABTs before. I just googled to see
> what they are.

'Bout the best snack you can make on a smoker.

> For photos of what it looks like fully loaded, check out
> http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/bbq02/01.jpg and
> http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/bbq02/05.jpg. If you're thinking that the
> ribs on the right are getting burned, you're right.
> --THC

Fully loaded is an understatement! I had mine made with a single door
instead of the double doors. Thought it would make it a little easier
to load and unload.

JohnG

mo od y@attbi.com Dan

May 19, 2003, 6:44:19 AM5/19/03

> > What about some ABTs? Does it get hot enough at the lower far end for
> > them?
>
> Beats me. Although I'm a regular lurker/occasional poster here, I
> don't recall having ever heard of ABTs before. I just googled to see
> what they are.

Uh, OK I'm another long time lurker and googled ABTs myself and I'm still
clueless.
Can anyone fill me in on ABTs? Thanks in advance.

Dan

BrewHawk

May 19, 2003, 10:19:52 AM5/19/03

ATB... Atomic Buffalo Turd

Peppers stuffed with cream cheese and various other goodies.