Wolf Turds

John O

Jul 28, 2004, 10:24:29 AM7/28/04
I plan to do some wolf turds this weekend for the in-laws, at their place in
Northern Michigan. I did a test run last night, stuffed two pickled
jalepenos with cheese and wrapped them in bacon. Baked them in a toaster
oven. (more elaborate stuffing in a couple days...)

I used toothpicks to keep them upright, but one of them just didn't want to
stay at attention. Part of the cheese leaked out, not a big deal since that
leaked cheese made a nice little snack as I waited for the buggers to cool
down. They were really good.

Aside from those special gizmos made for this task, how do I keep the
stuffing inside the peppers? Is it a matter of wrapping the bacon over the
top snug enough to serve as a lid? More toothpicks? ???

-John O

Tyler Hopper

Jul 28, 2004, 11:19:57 AM7/28/04

"John O" <johno@#no^spam&heathkit.com> wrote in message

Yep, I wrap the bacon over the top and secure it with toothpicks. Your gonna
have to find a way to get them to stand up to keep the filling from oozing out.

Bruce

Jul 28, 2004, 11:52:07 AM7/28/04
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:19:57 GMT, "Tyler Hopper" <tho...@swbell.net>
wrote:

>> Aside from those special gizmos made for this task, how do I keep the
>> stuffing inside the peppers? Is it a matter of wrapping the bacon over the
>> top snug enough to serve as a lid? More toothpicks? ???
>
>Yep, I wrap the bacon over the top and secure it with toothpicks. Your gonna
>have to find a way to get them to stand up to keep the filling from oozing out.

I use a piece of expanded metal. I prop it up on the 4 corners. Works
great. I also wrap the bacon over the top. When I make the Wolf Turds
I use sausage inside. You might put the cheese in first, follow up
with a little piece of sausage and then wrap with bacon over the top.

Bruce
bruc...@bdbbq.com

John O

Jul 28, 2004, 12:59:26 PM7/28/04
> I use sausage inside. You might put the cheese in first, follow up
> with a little piece of sausage and then wrap with bacon over the top.

I was going to mix the sausage & cheese, but this solves the leaking
probem....the sausage won't liquefy and run out. :-) Thanks!

-John O

Alan S

Jul 28, 2004, 4:21:45 PM7/28/04
Man! Cooking turds for the in-laws, I wish I had thought of that back when I
was still married. What a great idea!

SonoranDude

Jul 28, 2004, 5:28:07 PM7/28/04
I was at BBQ Galore the other day in Tucson and some local artesian has
created a stainless steel stand to go ontop of the grill that is shaped like
a chili pod with lots of different sized holes drilled in it to stand up
different sized jalapenos.. Great idea till the told me they wanted $50 for
it...
So now I am searching flea markets for an old cast iron skillet... I want to
drill some 1/2 to 3/4 inch holes in the bottom of the pan using a hole saw
to stand my peppers on and re-season the pan.
I was thinking I'll put the upsidedown skillet over a pie pan of water that
will keep the tips moist as the pan radiates heat and browns the tops for
about $5. I may need to cut the handle off my pan too get it in the WSM but
what the heck.

If you find one before I do let me know how it works!

frohe

Jul 28, 2004, 5:37:31 PM7/28/04
John O wrote:
> Aside from those special gizmos made for this task, how do I keep
the
> stuffing inside the peppers? Is it a matter of wrapping the bacon
> over the top snug enough to serve as a lid? More toothpicks? ???

I use an soft aluminum pie pan that I cut holes in the bottom of.
Turn the pan upside down, cradle the peppers in the holes and cook.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Beth Cole

Jul 28, 2004, 5:39:55 PM7/28/04
John O wrote:

> Aside from those special gizmos made for this task, how do I keep the
> stuffing inside the peppers? Is it a matter of wrapping the bacon over the
> top snug enough to serve as a lid? More toothpicks? ???

I didn't really have any trouble with the filling falling out. I
wrapped the bacon pretty tightly, and then I put all the peppers into
the fridge for a couple hours to let the filling firm up.

We baked the peppers (14 jalapenos and 2 Anaheims) on a cake rack over a
cookie sheet.

Beth

--
The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or
cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men

TFM®

Jul 28, 2004, 6:49:05 PM7/28/04

First and foremost, don't use pickled ones.....ick!

Put the cheese in first, then plug it with fresh ground sausage. That'll
keep the cheese from leaking even if they're layed on their sides.

Half a slice of bacon over the top with a toothpick through the whole
assembly.

They're done when the bacon's done.

TFM®

TFM®

Jul 28, 2004, 6:57:50 PM7/28/04

Sorry, Bruce. Didn't mean to steal your idea. I didn't read the
follow-up's before I replied.

TFM®

TFM®

Jul 28, 2004, 7:00:27 PM7/28/04
SonoranDude wrote:
> I was at BBQ Galore the other day in Tucson and some local artesian
> has created a stainless steel stand to go ontop of the grill that is
> shaped like a chili pod with lots of different sized holes drilled in
> it to stand up different sized jalapenos.. Great idea till the told
> me they wanted $50 for it...
> So now I am searching flea markets for an old cast iron skillet... I
> want to drill some 1/2 to 3/4 inch holes in the bottom of the pan
> using a hole saw to stand my peppers on and re-season the pan.
> I was thinking I'll put the upsidedown skillet over a pie pan of
> water that will keep the tips moist as the pan radiates heat and
> browns the tops for about $5. I may need to cut the handle off my pan
> too get it in the WSM but what the heck.
>
> If you find one before I do let me know how it works!

Good luck at the flea markets trying to find cheap cast iron. Most likely
find rusty, overpriced, 25 year old Griswold.

Spend $10 at Wal-Mart and drill a new Lodge®

TFM®

bbq

Jul 28, 2004, 7:20:28 PM7/28/04

I did some a few weeks ago while cooking a chicken. I stood them up
against the chicken. This seemed to work well. I would say if your
cooking any thick piece of meat(butt, brisket, chicken, etc.) this
should work fine. Though you may want to cook more than the piece of
meat will allow. But they cook quick enough I think, that you can make
more than one batch during the cook.

If you have a rib rack, you can place foil over the rack part to form a
wall for the peppers to stand up against.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Bruce

Jul 28, 2004, 7:49:38 PM7/28/04
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:57:50 GMT, "TFM®" <horn...@tampabay.rr.com>
wrote:

>Sorry, Bruce. Didn't mean to steal your idea. I didn't read the
>follow-up's before I replied.

<SNIP>

I was just about to contact John Edwards after I read your post. ;-0

Bruce
bruc...@bdbbq.com

J...@tta.com

Jul 28, 2004, 7:56:17 PM7/28/04
All,

I made a chili grill for myself for only a few bucks, I used a 12"
square of sheet metal, steel, not galvanized and simply drilled a
bunch of 1" holes in it. Made legs out of 1" square tubing, and tack
welded them on. Works great, I can grill 36 stuffed japs all nice and
vertical.

I stole the idea just a couple of weeks ago from here...

http://www.irondesert.com/chilegrill.html

They too want mad money for these things. I'm tempted to make up a few
dozen and sell them.

>I was at BBQ Galore the other day in Tucson and some local artesian has
>created a stainless steel stand to go ontop of the grill that is shaped like
>a chili pod with lots of different sized holes drilled in it to stand up
>different sized jalapenos.. Great idea till the told me they wanted $50 for
>it...
>So now I am searching flea markets for an old cast iron skillet... I want to
>drill some 1/2 to 3/4 inch holes in the bottom of the pan using a hole saw
>to stand my peppers on and re-season the pan.
>I was thinking I'll put the upsidedown skillet over a pie pan of water that
>will keep the tips moist as the pan radiates heat and browns the tops for
>about $5. I may need to cut the handle off my pan too get it in the WSM but
>what the heck.

This should work great but I don't think you'll need the pie pan of
water, wouldn't it tend to steam them?

Jim Rutkowski
Executive Chef
TrailerTrashAerospace

John O

Jul 28, 2004, 10:03:11 PM7/28/04

> If you find one before I do let me know how it works!

Wow, great ideas, everybody! I have an old cast iron skillet in the
basement, and it's definitely a candidate for holes. I don't think I have a
large enough drill bit. Might require a saw. So maybe we'll use the pie pan
this time. Rib rack is good too...if I was doing ribs up there I'd take it.

:-)

John O

SonoranDude

Jul 29, 2004, 1:31:52 AM7/29/04

> First and foremost, don't use pickled ones.....ick!
>
> Put the cheese in first, then plug it with fresh ground sausage. That'll
> keep the cheese from leaking even if they're layed on their sides.
>
> Half a slice of bacon over the top with a toothpick through the whole
> assembly.
>
> They're done when the bacon's done.
>

> TFM®

Right on for using fresh ones... gotta keep em crisp! Hatch brand makes a
decent pickled Jap that is still crisp in the jar. It may hold up to the
heat but never tried it. Best is to grow your own so you can have an
assortment of green and brite red at the same time.

John O

Jul 29, 2004, 7:55:16 AM7/29/04

I'll do both types...there's a little Mexican store down the road that
caters to the migrants, they have good peppers. And they laugh at me when I
buy just five or six. :-)

-John O

Jesse Skeens

Jul 29, 2004, 9:35:56 AM7/29/04
Bruce <bruc...@bdbbq.com> wrote in message

> I use a piece of expanded metal. I prop it up on the 4 corners. Works
> great. I also wrap the bacon over the top. When I make the Wolf Turds
> I use sausage inside. You might put the cheese in first, follow up
> with a little piece of sausage and then wrap with bacon over the top.
>
> Bruce
> bruc...@bdbbq.com

Is the sausage pre cooked or raw ground variety?

Tyler Hopper

Jul 29, 2004, 11:24:46 AM7/29/04

"John O" <johno@#no^spam&heathkit.com> wrote in message

There's no need to ruin a cast iron pan. My SIL gave me a rack that was simply a
sheet of SS bent into a U with two dozens holes drilled into the top. I think
she paid $10 for one. She gave me a very cool pepper corer to go with it.

Bruce

Jul 29, 2004, 12:03:40 PM7/29/04
On 29 Jul 2004 06:35:56 -0700, medw...@hotmail.com (Jesse Skeens)
wrote:

I use raw.

Bruce
bruc...@bdbbq.com

TFM®

Jul 29, 2004, 2:02:31 PM7/29/04

Yes, all ingredients should be raw to start with. Your ass should be raw
the next day. <G>

TFM®

Neighbor Dave

Jul 29, 2004, 2:51:55 PM7/29/04

<J...@TTA.com> wrote in message

> All,
>
> I made a chili grill for myself for only a few bucks, I used a 12"
> square of sheet metal, steel, not galvanized and simply drilled a
> bunch of 1" holes in it. Made legs out of 1" square tubing, and tack
> welded them on. Works great, I can grill 36 stuffed japs all nice and
> vertical.
>
> I stole the idea just a couple of weeks ago from here...
>
> http://www.irondesert.com/chilegrill.html
>
> They too want mad money for these things. I'm tempted to make up a few
> dozen and sell them.

Stainless steel ain't cheap. that 12" square in stainless will run you a
little over $10

Neighbor Dave Fillmore
"Beer is proof God loves us
and wants us to be happy."
Benjamin Franklin

M&M

Jul 29, 2004, 4:40:39 PM7/29/04

Get out your cast iron skillet or dutch oven and put some rock salt
or water softener salt in it. Plant your turds in that salt. You can check
what mine looked like on ABF if its still there or I can repost. (brick162.jpg)

--
M&M ("When You're Over The Hill You Pick Up Speed")

frohe

Jul 29, 2004, 5:29:23 PM7/29/04
TFM® wrote:
> Your ass should be raw the next day. <G>

TFM®, the master of the understatement. <g>

John O

Aug 2, 2004, 8:19:34 AM8/2/04

> There's no need to ruin a cast iron pan. My SIL gave me a rack that was
simply a
> sheet of SS bent into a U with two dozens holes drilled into the top. I
think
> she paid $10 for one. She gave me a very cool pepper corer to go with it.

FWIW, that pan is just holding a box down on the basement floor. Some day my
kids/grandkids will find it with holes and wonder what the hell that nutcase
(me) was doing. And that would be OK. :-)

We were traveling light, and I ended up just cooking them on the grill. They
were great, the three of us brave enough to eat them were impressed. I'll be
making these again.

-John