Getting peronsal

frohe

Jul 29, 2002, 6:30:49 AM7/29/02
I've been reading this NG for a while now and seems to have a good idea of
the person behind the posts made here. But, I thought maybe we could have a
bit of fun here by spilling a few beans about ourselves. You know,
something short to kinda introdude yourself to the rest, like what Q rig(s)
you run, how long you been Qin', and other pertinent factoids you want to
include. But, certainly not a detailed account of your life to this moment;
IOW, no diarrhea of the keyboard.

I guess I'll start then.

- Net nick: frohe (it's German for happy which is my general demeanor most
of the time)
- Age 53, married 26 years with 3 kids, one married, one in college and one
a senior in high school
- I use a really fancy Q rig - a 55 gallon drum I got years ago. Was raised
on a drum from back when I was knee-high to a toadstool so I don't know of
any other way to Q.
- I live in central Texas and work as a civilian strategic planner for the
US Army at nearby Fort Hood. Retiring in 3 years tho.
- My other hobby is cycling. Got into it after having 3 little strokes and
being diabetic. Docs say it's good for my health. Who knows.

Ok, your turn.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

Matthew L. Martin

Jul 29, 2002, 7:46:49 AM7/29/02
frohe wrote:

> Ok, your turn.

I've been on the 'net since ARPAnet. I don't need no steenkin' screen name.

I'm 50. Been married a total of 26 years, only 7 to the current wife. We
live in central Massachusetts, fifteen minutes from downtown Worcester.

Two beautiful step-daughters. The older one recently graduated from
Tufts School of Veterinary Medicine and is now an intern at Angell
Memorial Hospital in Brookline, MA. Sbe is getting married in March of
next year.

The younger is starting a career in restaurant service using her partial
education at Johnson and Wales, Providence.

We have a tiny horse farm with a four stall barn, 1.5 acres of pasture
and three horses. Two are geriatric cases (a grade pony ~32 and a
thoroughbred ~25, both geldings) and a two year old fillie. The old guys
were the daughter's mounts when they were collecting ribbons by the
bushel basket. The fillie is my wife's reaction to having an empty nest.

I'm a software engineer (whatever that means) and have been an
independent contractor for over 25 years. Currently looking for work.
Will program for food.

I have high blood pressure and must avoid salt as much as I reasonably
can. I've been reducing the salt content of the various rubs I concoct
and will continue to do so until I notice something wrong. It may well
go to zero.

The rig described on my website (link in sig) is my first and only
smoker. I've been having a blast with it, in the figurative sense.

Other hobbies include collecting movies and playing farmer with my John
Deere 870.

Matthew

--
<http://member.newsguy.com/~mlmartin/>

Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
You can't break even.
You can't get out of the game.

B-Worthey

Jul 29, 2002, 9:23:03 AM7/29/02

"frohe" <fr...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

> I've been reading this NG for a while now and seems to have a good idea of
> the person behind the posts made here. But, I thought maybe we could have
> bit of fun here by spilling a few beans about ourselves. You know,

Not a bad idea, frohe, and thanks I've wondered about what exactly frohe is!

Here goes:

I'm 25, been married 2 years, no children, recently graduated with a B.S. in
psychology, working on my master's in mental health counseling. Currently
work as resident advisor in an adolescent alcohol/drug treatment center. I
live in Jackson, MS. Don't have a long history with Q'ing, only about 2
months. I bought a NB Silver Smoker, and so far enjoy it. As far as any
other hobbies, I'm goign to sound like a nerd I suppose, anything dealing
with psychology, science vs religion debates. Oh, I guess I should add I'm
a preacher's kid of a southern Baptist preacher. Superman comics, video
games, and thats really about it! Oh, someone else mentioned the old high
blood, I too am on medication, yes, only 25, mostly hereditary, and a bit to
do with my weight. So actually should stay away from all that pork, but its
SOOO good on the NB!!!

Later!

Bill Darnell

Jul 29, 2002, 9:47:39 AM7/29/02
> > I've been reading this NG for a while now and seems to have a good idea
of
> > the person behind the posts made here. But, I thought maybe we could
have
> > bit of fun here by spilling a few beans about ourselves. You know,
> >

> Not a bad idea, frohe, and thanks I've wondered about what exactly frohe
is!

> Here goes:

I have also been reading this group off and on for a long time. Learned a
lot.

I am 64, and grilling and Q'ing for a long while. First attempt at smoking
was the ECB and a kind of disaster! From that one, which finally fell in on
itself, I went to the next model Brinkmann, the one with the longer door and
made of real heavy gauge stuff. It done a world better, but I changed it to
"lazy Q" and it still does a bang up job. I use it to finish up butts when
I just don't have time to stand and watch. I have a Turkey fryer, which I
have found more useful for southern fried catfish than turkey. However,
from this group, I learned it's most useful of all to light charcoal!!

My latest is the New Braunfelds Bandera, with the mods, and I really like
it. Since I am borderline high blood pressure, shouldn't be eating fats and
salts. But heck, eat right, get plenty of exercise, and die healthy, they
say!

I cut my own hickory,
Bill
Savannah, TN

spongebob

Jul 29, 2002, 10:39:26 AM7/29/02
Been Q'ing only a few months. Own a Weber kettle, Genesis, and my new baby;
a resurrected Japanese Kamado #3 that has got us addicted to Q :) I'm 53,
married, 12 yr old daughter, own/operate Pool/Spa maint/repair biz.

bob

jerryB

Jul 29, 2002, 11:04:11 AM7/29/02

"frohe" <fr...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, your turn.
> --
> -frohe

- Net nick: jerryB, on this froup and a couple of others. I use several
others for some of the more controversial froups.
- Age 39, gonna be the big Four Oh in a few months. No wife, no children,
lotsa friends.
- I have a 10 year old Char-Broil equivalent of the ECB and a Christmas
gift New Braunfelds Santa Fe (grill).
- I live in Northern California, south of Sac east of SF.
- My other hobby is kayaking. Not that crazy whitewater stuff, just flat
water and some ocean waves.

jerryB

buzz1

Jul 29, 2002, 11:46:01 AM7/29/02

"frohe" <fr...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been reading this NG for a while now and seems to have a good idea of
> the person behind the posts made here. But, I thought maybe we could have
> bit of fun here by spilling a few beans about ourselves
==============
OK, I'll bite---Buzz from the middle of Wisconsin. 54yrs old married(24yrs)
3 daughters one still left at home.
Been grilling forever, then ate some real 'que and knew I wanted to learn
to cook like that ! Started with an ecb(orange), then to wsm, bandera and
even an occasional attempt at cooking direct over coals in a cement block
pit.

Cooked at one kcbs contest so far--not sure if there will be more in the
future(and the team wasn't last in any catagorys) its a pricey hobby. It is
much more fun inviting over a bunch of folks, cooking a couple cases of ribs
and enjoyu some adult beverages

Main pastime is riding my Harley('85flht) along with wife on her Sportster.

Been working as a supervisor in a small steel foundry for about forever and
wife works in a local paper mill and is a volunteer EMT with local ambulance
service

And the best part of being on the net is the irl meets that have happened

Buzz

K. Reece

Jul 29, 2002, 2:33:57 PM7/29/02

"frohe" <fr...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

> Ok, your turn.

> --
> -frohe
> Life is too short to be in a hurry

I'm 45, married 10 years now to my second husband. I've got two grown up
sons from the first go round. We've got three granddaughters.

We live in the southwest corner of Kansas. Hubby works at IBP, (the world's
largest beef packing plant) he's the box shop supervisor. I don't work
outside the home right now.

I learned to grill over a hole in the ground. The only part of a grill I
had at that time was the cooking grate. Sometimes I could afford "real
charcoal" (briquettes) and sometimes I sent the kids out to look for wood.
Elm tastes kinda funky, cottonwood isn't too bad. After a few years I
bought a real charcoal grill, I think it was a sunbeam square cooker, and
cooked on that for several years. Then one day about 7 years ago I
discovered a New Braunfels horizontal offset smoker in a local store. It
wasn't long after that that I discovered lump charcoal. The rest they say
is history.

My other hobby is quilting and we started a garden this year. I know we'll
expand the garden next spring. Since our house is new and this used to be
farm ground the yard is full of weeds so we made planter boxes out of
landscape timbers. We built two this year and we'll build at least two more
next spring. So far it's been weed free gardening and the plants are doing
extremely good.

Kathy

Jeanine H.

Jul 29, 2002, 12:38:34 PM7/29/02
On Mon, 29 Jul 2002 10:30:49 GMT, "frohe" <fr...@NOSPAMhotmail.com>
wrote:

>I've been reading this NG for a while now and seems to have a good idea of
>the person behind the posts made here. But, I thought maybe we could have a
>bit of fun here by spilling a few beans about ourselves. You know,
>something short to kinda introdude yourself to the rest, like what Q rig(s)
>you run, how long you been Qin', and other pertinent factoids you want to
>include. But, certainly not a detailed account of your life to this moment;
>IOW, no diarrhea of the keyboard.
>
>I guess I'll start then.

Guess I'll join in-
No net nickname-been reading this group since it started (on and off,
mostly on until last year). I'm a 31 yo junior in college, political
science and history are my areas of study. Been into Q since my first
Ribfest back in 1990-don't own a rig right now (that apartment living
in the philly area sucks!) Mostly I Q on friends weber kettles or
when I go camping-It is possible to smoke ribs on a campfire-using a
foil tent over the ribs. Someday I'll get my kamado#7!

Jeanine H
"We must be getting back to Alice. If I am
away from her long, I get low in my mind."
Gertrude Stein

Jon Endres, PE

Jul 29, 2002, 5:03:15 PM7/29/02
OK, you asked.

Net nick - none. I yam who I yam.

age - 32, married 1 year, 3 stepchildren ages 10,7,5.

Been Q-ing for real only about four months with the purchase of a #7 Kamado,
but have been killin' n' grillin' for most of my life, probably since about
age 12.

Location - southern Vermont. Self-employed, own and run a small
engineering/surveying/site planning company.

Other hobbies - veg gardening (I use the square foot method pioneered by Mel
Bartholomew) and woodworking. I am also about to take a week long class on
timber framing so I can build my new house by myself.

--
Jon Endres, PE
West Mountain Engineering

frohe

Jul 29, 2002, 5:38:48 PM7/29/02
"B-Worthey" <bwor...@jam.rr.com> wrote in message

> Not a bad idea, frohe, and thanks I've wondered about what exactly frohe
is!

I don't even know who frohe actually is. Maybe someday we'll meet and I'll
find out. <g>

Michael

Jul 29, 2002, 5:48:08 PM7/29/02

frohe <fr...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been reading this NG for a while now and seems to have a good idea of
> the person behind the posts made here. But, I thought maybe we could have
> bit of fun here by spilling a few beans about ourselves. You know,
> something short to kinda introdude yourself to the rest,

Mid forties, wife and two kids.

Piedmont NC, forty minutes from Lexington, NC.

Ten good and two great BBQ places within fifteen minutes of the farm (that's
pretty close as the nearest grocery store is fifteen minutes away)

> like what Q rig(s)
> you run,

Brick pit at the shop. Also have four Weber kettles (for grilled oyster
appetizers at pig pickings) and doing a shoulder or ribs without having to
start up the pit. Designing a new pit now, old one is at least forty years
old and has seen better days.

> how long you been Qin',

First time as a pit boss for a pig picking was at eighteen. This is
piedmont NC where we start helping BBQ when we can walk. Doing shoulders
and such probably started around fourteen.

Edwin Pawlowski

Jul 29, 2002, 9:18:14 PM7/29/02

"frohe" <fr...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been reading this NG for a while now and seems to have a good idea of
> the person behind the posts made here. But, I thought maybe we could have
> bit of fun here by spilling a few beans about ourselves.

I'm 56, married 36 years. the 2 kids are gone.

Been playing with smoking since I visited NC some 15 years ago and tasted
pulled pork for the first time. Born and raised in Philadelphia, I've been
in NE Connecticut for the past 21 years.

If you are still curious, see my web page for other interests.
Ed
e...@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Cuchulain Libby

Jul 29, 2002, 10:06:45 PM7/29/02

"K. Reece" <kre...@pld.com> wrote
[...]

> We live in the southwest corner of Kansas. Hubby works at IBP, (the
world's
> largest beef packing plant) he's the box shop supervisor. I don't work
> outside the home right now.
> Kathy
Kathy you keep dropping IBP. How can we, the good folks who only have your
best barbecuing interest at heart, benefit from your close association with
the fine folks at the local IBP? If we all promise to add ibp.org to our
sigs? Slap the IBP logo on our pits? Name it and we're game, just lay the
killer case price on us...

-Hound

Cuchulain Libby

Jul 29, 2002, 10:18:12 PM7/29/02
I'll jump:

-Cuchulain: my given name, never used a nick. Gaelic for Hound of Cullen or
Hound of Ulster.
-Married to number 2, Blaise, who was born and raised in San Antonio. We're
raising my 14 yr old dghtr Shannon and my 12 yr old son Sean.
- 42, Blaise is 40. I also Jones for homebrew and homeroast coffee/real
espresso and Texas Chili
-Grew up in L.A., moved to San Antonio 12 years ago because;
-In the oil & gas business,
-Uncle bought an eecb yrs ago and went up to Palos Verdes for all the
Holidays so bought one. Cross between 'bbq' and grilling in the '80's. Once
I moved to Texas bought a 3-chamber log-burner and gave away a kettle and
ecb. Now I cook with straight wood and never looked back.
-Been in computers so long I remember; punch cards, 9 track tape and working
on a pre-pc @ Xerox in a closet where a guy was writing what became Apple.

-Hound

Matthew L. Martin

Jul 30, 2002, 7:46:11 AM7/30/02
Cuchulain Libby wrote:

> -Been in computers so long I remember; punch cards, 9 track tape and working
> on a pre-pc @ Xerox in a closet where a guy was writing what became Apple.

AH, but have you ever programmed (sic) a mark sense reader?

Matthew (there were tubes in some of the computers I programmed)

Jack Schidt

Jul 30, 2002, 8:55:04 AM7/30/02

"frohe" <fr...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been reading this NG for a while now and seems to have a good idea of
> the person behind the posts made here. But, I thought maybe we could have
> bit of fun here by spilling a few beans about ourselves. You know,
> something short to kinda introdude yourself to the rest, like what Q
rig(s)
> you run, how long you been Qin', and other pertinent factoids you want to
> include. But, certainly not a detailed account of your life to this
moment;
> IOW, no diarrhea of the keyboard.

ok, I'll bite. you asked.

My name is really Fred and I live in SE CT. I've been grilling and smoking
for a lotta years, but it's only been the couple of years that I've hung
around here that I've done any bbq correctly Thanks, folks.

I'm 44, recently single and I make maps for a living (own a small
surveying/mapping company). In my spare time (hah) I like to brew beer, q
meat and make films with associates. I don't like computers, they are a
necessary evil in my business (if you bought a car that ran like a PC you'd
be slapping the dealer around every day). The bright side is reading ng's
like this and email.

Anyway, that's about it. If you guys are ever up this way, let me know; I'd
be happy to spring for some frosty lagers.

Jack

Jaybe

Jul 30, 2002, 9:50:25 AM7/30/02

"Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net> wrote in message
Well.... I've never known Jack Schidt until now!!!!! HiJack :)

Jaybe being my initials,63 yrs old, Married for 38 years,two sons and a
daughter,,four grandchildren and a well equipped
welding shop at home for building race car parts and quite a few offset
smokers. http://users2.ipa.net/~jbell7/BBQ.html

Heh,,anyone remember the IBM 650?? All vac tube puter,punch card in&out.
Long time ago huh.

I've been retired for almost two years now,,my wife will work for another
year and a half. She is R/N,,I'm retired from da awl bidness.
Now if I could sort out this new Demon carburetor,hehe, Help anyone!!!!!!

Jaybe (Northwest Arkansas)

buzz1

Jul 30, 2002, 10:45:48 AM7/30/02

.
> Now if I could sort out this new Demon carburetor,hehe, Help anyone!!!!!!
>
> Jaybe (Northwest Arkansas)

http://bluemonster.freeservers.com/demon_carb.htm

the demon is quite a carb--probably you have seen this page but here it is
anyway

Buzz

John Jensen

Jul 30, 2002, 10:45:51 AM7/30/02
It looks like I share the computer/bbq/homebrew/coffee-roasting/kayaking
bits with some of you. It's funny, because I was just saying that I
didn't barbecuers and kayak builders crossed-over. Maybe that is
possible. I've done a little ocean kayaking over the years and am
thinking about starting a stitch & glue kayak in a month or two.

I'm 43, started to feel guilty about the homebrew and barbecue, so I got
on my rowing machine (or "erg" for those who have seen one), and can now
consider the homebrew and barbecue as much-needed fuel. I hope to eat
more and exercise more in the coming decade.

I've learned a lot listening to this group. Listening to to questions,
answers, and arguements (did I say arguments ... no, I must have meant
something else) is a great way to learn. Actaully, this is a pretty
friendly group. Things are more likely to flare up in rec.craft.brewing,
or rec.food.cooking.

I hope to make it to the Texas Q-Fest ... we'll see.

BTW, home-brewed hard cider(*) and garlic make a pretty good marinade for
beer-can (or vertical roaster) chicken.

* - easiest thing it the world to brew

John
--
33° 47' 37N 117° 54' 52W

Jaybe

Jul 30, 2002, 11:09:32 AM7/30/02

"buzz1" <knotbu...@wctc.net> wrote in message
Thanks for the reply Buzz,,The carb I'm using is on oval dirt track car.
SBC 383ci. Racing only. Cant get used to the Demon using few steps larger
jets than Holley,,also the four corner idle air screws. Bogging in
corners,,runs like a scalded cat on straightaway though:) Maybe too large
cfm (850) Will try Holley 750 this next saturday night.

Jaybe

K. Reece

Jul 30, 2002, 2:29:31 PM7/30/02

"Cuchulain Libby" <he...@goodbye.net> wrote in message

They have employee meat sales. I'll have him bring home a price list, it
changes every week. I don't remember seeing brisket on the list though. I
can buy cheek meat by the case though. Every once in a while they have
special meat sales. The last time they had rib eyes for 25$ a box. They
limited those one to a person. They also had boneless pork chops and
breaded chicken patties.

Of course you'd have to come to my house to pick it up.

Kathy

Nathan Lau

Jul 30, 2002, 2:27:28 PM7/30/02
frohe wrote:
> - Net nick:
I've been launate since my first ISP back in 95.

> - Age:
31.5 yrs, married 1.5 yrs, son .5 yrs who still lives in the crib

> - I use a really fancy Q rig

I use a Sunbeam gas grill that a friend gave to me when we moved in to
our apartment last November. Most familiar with grilling on a hibachi
as well as imu (pit) cooking growing up in Hawaii. Q'ing is pretty new
to me. The Sunbeam is okay but I really want a Kamado <g>!

I found this ng after seeing a post about crock-pot ribs on rfc. This
ng has been an invaluable source of information and inspiration.

> - I live in central Texas

Born and raised (twice) in Honolulu, Hawaii. Currently living in San
Jose, working for Big Blue. No health problems that I know of, thank
God.

> - My other hobby is cycling.

My priorities in life are 1) Jesus 2) Wife and family 3) Friends and
neighbors

--
Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Rex L McCall

Jul 30, 2002, 4:49:39 PM7/30/02
54 yoa, married, no kids, one cat. Live about 50 miles due south of Houston,
Texas
I have had CharBroil grill (the big one), two Weber kettles, one Meco square
grill, list goes on.
Presenty I have a Turbo 36" gas grill, and since 1988, a 20"x7' long custom
built pipe bbq pit with offset firebox. Most everyone in this area has one
of these.

Rex

Cuchulain Libby

Jul 30, 2002, 5:23:22 PM7/30/02
.
"Matthew L. Martin" <mlma...@me.com> wrote in message

> Cuchulain Libby wrote:
> >
> > -Been in computers so long I remember; punch cards, 9 track tape and
working
> > on a pre-pc @ Xerox in a closet where a guy was writing what became
Apple.

> AH, but have you ever programmed (sic) a mark sense reader?
>
> Matthew (there were tubes in some of the computers I programmed)

No but I saw a real live Sperry humming away at Garrett, the turbo folks in
SoCal. Also changed a board in a Harris at SAIC that was used for planning
moonshots. Least that's what the guys told me. Probably really used for MX
trajectories...
Friggin' thing only had register switches and a printer.

-Hound

Steve Wertz

Jul 30, 2002, 5:47:31 PM7/30/02
I'm a recovering pyromaniac. My psychaitrist tells me to keep it
low and slow, so here I am.

-sw

Steve Wertz

Jul 30, 2002, 5:53:47 PM7/30/02
David Westebbe wrote:

> Matthew L. Martin <mlma...@me.com> wrote:
>
> > Matthew (there were tubes in some of the computers I programmed)
>
> You had tubes? Why, when I started programming...

... we didn't even have ones, only zero's.

-sw

Cuchulain Libby

Jul 30, 2002, 6:04:01 PM7/30/02
"John Jensen" <jj...@primenet.com> wrote

> I've learned a lot listening to this group. Listening to to questions,
> answers, and arguements (did I say arguments ... no, I must have meant
> something else) is a great way to learn. Actaully, this is a pretty
> friendly group. Things are more likely to flare up in rec.craft.brewing,
> or rec.food.cooking.
>
> I hope to make it to the Texas Q-Fest ... we'll see.
>
> BTW, home-brewed hard cider(*) and garlic make a pretty good marinade for
> beer-can (or vertical roaster) chicken.
>
> * - easiest thing it the world to brew

Maybe I should've made this *REAL* clear.
Homebrewers have a special place in my heart, any donations, costs, etc (not
lodging) will be borne by me for any homebrewers who bring at least a 5 gal
batch...

-Hound

ladysycamore

Jul 30, 2002, 7:17:00 PM7/30/02

frohe wrote:

> I've been reading this NG for a while now and seems to have a good idea of
> the person behind the posts made here. But, I thought maybe we could have a
> bit of fun here by spilling a few beans about ourselves. You know,
> something short to kinda introdude yourself to the rest, like what Q rig(s)
> you run, how long you been Qin', and other pertinent factoids you want to
> include. But, certainly not a detailed account of your life to this moment;
> IOW, no diarrhea of the keyboard.

Netnick: ladysycamore, or ladysyc69
Age: endless...oh, ok. thirtysomething...
Not married (yet). No kids (ever!).
Haven't had a chance to "Q" just yet, but working on it. Have made my
own sauce.
Location: PA, US
Hobbies: photography, internet, being lazy on the weekends (grins).
Type 2 diabetic, along with end stage renal failure. On daily dialysis.

--
And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying,
“Oh, that you would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory,

John Jensen

Jul 30, 2002, 7:32:50 PM7/30/02
Cuchulain Libby <ctl...@stic.net> writes:
: "John Jensen" <jj...@primenet.com> wrote

;-), I'll try to have some on hand. There is also a pretty amazing shop
near my house, with a few hundred sorts of beer. I should be able to put
together some interesting cases to bring along.

John
--
33° 38' 49N 117° 56' 34W

Steve Wertz

Jul 30, 2002, 7:45:28 PM7/30/02
Steve Wertz wrote:

> I'm a recovering pyromaniac. My psychaitrist tells me to keep it
> low and slow, so here I am.

I guess there goes my Q-fest invite, eh? :-)

-sw

Pork Fiend

Jul 30, 2002, 6:09:48 PM7/30/02

> ... we didn't even have ones, only zero's.
>
> -sw

we couldn't even afford zeros.
we had to use imaginary numbers.

-p.f.

Harry Demidavicius

Jul 31, 2002, 12:06:58 AM7/31/02

I post under my real name [ who would fake Harry Demidavicius? :0)

I operate two K's [#3 & #7]. I am one the 2.5% Canadians who mean BBQ
instead of grill, when I BBQ.

I'm an Independent Financial Planner, and we [ Samantha works with
me], Golf & Garden between BBK'ing. We work from Home [Great
Commute time :0)

Samantha & I have been married for 38 years. Our Kids live "down the
road" but they only *grill* [boo].

We live with Chesterfield Cat [ correctly named after his native
habitat], who is 18 and deaf as a doorpost.

Harry

[breaking in a brand new[ House & Garden] and trying to keep a decent
golf swing]. A Challenge !!

Harry Demidavicius

Jul 31, 2002, 12:35:34 AM7/31/02

I worked for Sperry Canada as a youngster, and we got the Univac Main
Frame Two. [ One being in Sperry Great Neck NY]. Three went to the
"client" [ Pentagon] who commissioned the thing. Four went to Sun
Life of Canada., the first Commercial client. Bloody thing was the
size of a large SUV and needed a special room. Took us weeks to
realize the Punch cards needed to be made in that special room or else
the whole mess would jam. Those were the [horrible] days.

Harry

jaap

Jul 31, 2002, 4:29:01 PM7/31/02
When I was young, we chisseled clay tablets...
"Matthew L. Martin" <mlma...@me.com> schreef in bericht

KKPdude

Jul 31, 2002, 10:28:02 PM7/31/02
"frohe" fr...@NOSPAMhotmail.com inquires:

>You know, something short to kinda introdude yourself to the rest, like what Q
rig(s)
>you run, how long you been Qin', and other pertinent factoids you want to
>include.

What the hell... K.K. Pedersen here, aka "The Dude", 42 years old but still act
like I'm 15 on many occasions. The Mile High City. Still on #1. Two boys.
#5 K, aka "Kwasimodo". Occupied as a Senior Chemist. Generally only lurking on
AFB recently, but I have been known to comment on occasion. 15+ years striving
to perfect various forms of Q. Some people say my Q is decent, but when I can
actually impress myself, I'll know I've got a clue. Great steaks are easy,
just bury the thermometer on the Kamado screaming past 750+...

The Dude

Steve Wertz

Aug 1, 2002, 1:17:37 AM8/1/02

OK, I'm 35 and have never seen a psychiatrist.

Maybe I should, though...

-sw

Cuchulain Libby

Aug 1, 2002, 8:49:28 AM8/1/02
You realize you are talking to yourself in public....

"Steve Wertz" <swe...@texas.net> wrote in message

B-Worthey

Aug 1, 2002, 10:47:46 AM8/1/02

> You realize you are talking to yourself in public....

He's taking a big first step.....he did admit that he might need to see a
psychiatrist. Right now he's a delusional pyromaniac! LOL! Just messing
with ya steve!

B-Worthey

Steve Wertz

Aug 1, 2002, 12:59:54 PM8/1/02

I know. Everyone went silent when I climed I was a pyro. I figured I'd
mess with everyone a little (and myself too).

35, Live in Austin, currently in San Jose indefinitely with a Smokey Joe.
I do Unix/PC Admin and Support (Been layed of 3 times in rthree years). ECB
and a homemade ceramic smoker made of of chimney flues that actually works
pretty good.

I hang out in *all* the food groups (except r.f.c - where I usually just
troll). Other than bikeriding and the Net, I have no life at the moment;
Just me and my meat. Never been to prison, either. Maybe jail a couple
of nights here and there, but never prison :-)

Been in USENET since '92 (ste...@clbooks.com, and clb...@netcom.com)

-sw

Jack Schidt

Aug 1, 2002, 4:33:55 PM8/1/02

Never been to prison, either. Maybe jail a couple
> of nights here and there, but never prison :-)

it's not all it's cracked up to be, steve. all those stories of romance are
complete crap.

Jack

frohe

Aug 1, 2002, 7:56:48 PM8/1/02

> OK, I'm 35 and have never seen a psychiatrist.

I have. He said I was schizophrenic. I told him he was talking to the
wrong guy.
--
-frohe
Life is too short to be in a hurry

B-Worthey

Aug 1, 2002, 11:48:57 PM8/1/02

> "Steve Wertz" <swe...@texas.net> wrote in message
> > OK, I'm 35 and have never seen a psychiatrist.
>
> I have. He said I was schizophrenic. I told him he was talking to the
> wrong guy.
> --

Good one, frohe! ROFLMAO!!!!!

B-Worthey

Matthew L. Martin

Aug 1, 2002, 11:34:16 PM8/1/02
frohe wrote:
> "Steve Wertz" <swe...@texas.net> wrote in message
>
>>OK, I'm 35 and have never seen a psychiatrist.
>

> I have. He said I was schizophrenic. I told him he was talking to the
> wrong guy.

Hey! I'm schizophrenic... and so am I.

Matthew (what did you say?)

M.A.Willsey

Aug 2, 2002, 11:05:30 AM8/2/02
"frohe" <fr...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

> I've been reading this NG for a while now and seems to have a good idea of
> the person behind the posts made here. But, I thought maybe we could have
> bit of fun here by spilling a few beans about ourselves. You know,

> something short to kinda introdude yourself to the rest, like what Q
rig(s)
> you run, how long you been Qin', and other pertinent factoids you want to
> include.

Mike Willsey, (Alias: Sweets, Sweets was an old jazz man that played in
St.Louis bbq joints ages ago.)

North Central Indiana, 47, married, 3 kids all long gone, started grilling
chicken slathered with Open Pit Sauce, for years. Started on one of those
K-Mart boxes, with hinged glass door, adjustable grill level, warmer shelfs
and briquttes.

Eventually started marinading chicken breast and strips of beef, on a tiny
Smoky Joe kettle grill.

Made a horizontal cooker out of a 55 gallon barrel and used for a few years.

Bought a Bullet/Water Cooker for Turkey which got my first step in smoking
going.

Started reading all the "bull" stories here and bought an NBD which I used a
number of years working on indirect with lump and logs plus doing direct for
grilling. Spents winters cooking with an old Navy wool blanket wrapped
around the body!

Then came across a free 2 door commercial freezer and converted it to a
cooker. I have cooked a 165 pound whole hog in it, plus brisket, turkeys and
potatoes.

And I started up an MSN "Community" web page where I placed as much bbq
reference info I could for all to use for free, still there,
http://groups.msn.com/bbqusa

Owe all of my "real" q'ing skills to all here that have answered my
questions through the past several years. Because of this group I have
learned to make lump charcoal from scratch, learned about lump, and many
techniques, recipes, tips, tricks, polders, etc..!!!!!

Hell of a bunch of swell people here, even the gals are kick ass Q'rs too!
;)

Met other great local Q'rs in my area and had a great time with that. Found
out about Dragon Turds and making sausage too!

Sweets

Jon Endres, PE

Aug 2, 2002, 4:09:40 PM8/2/02
<snip>

> Met other great local Q'rs in my area and had a great time with that.
Found
> out about Dragon Turds and making sausage too!
>
> Sweets

What the HELL is a Dragon Turd?

Bill Darnell

Aug 2, 2002, 7:24:51 PM8/2/02

"Jon Endres, PE" <wmeng...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

A Dragon Turd is made with Habanera instead of Jalapeno.

Scott Neuhauser

Aug 2, 2002, 11:05:31 PM8/2/02
"M.A.Willsey" wrote:

> Met other great local Q'rs in my area and had a great time with that. Found
> out about Dragon Turds and making sausage too!
>
> Sweets

Dragon Turds!!!
Do tell... (Doth thou reference a Jabberwock?)

Scott Neuhauser

Aug 2, 2002, 11:18:49 PM8/2/02

Bill Darnell wrote:

> > What the HELL is a Dragon Turd?
>
> A Dragon Turd is made with Habanera instead of Jalapeno.

Can you be a little more specific? I'm assuming it's not a Dragon Turd
made with Habenero. Cough up the recipe, Dude!

Bill Darnell

Aug 2, 2002, 11:21:31 PM8/2/02

"Scott Neuhauser" <sneu...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
Others could answer better, but here goes. The Atomic Buffalo Turds I make
are Jalapeno's stuffed with Philly cream cheese, maybe a stuffed olive on
the cheese, then wrapped with bacon and smoked until the bacon is done. Use
for appetizers to keep the crowd controlled until the meat is done.

For Dragon Turds, use Habanera instead of Jalapeno. You can be creative
with either. Delicious.

Scott Neuhauser

Aug 2, 2002, 11:33:40 PM8/2/02
frohe wrote:

> - Net nick:
N/A

> Ok, your turn.
> --

37&5/6, married with 3. Girl 19, boy 14, girl 5&3/4.

Served my first chicken Tartar in an ECB in about 1990 and have been
learning ever since. I don't get many complaints on end product anymore.
Currently using an SNP.

I live in middle TN and swim in computers all day, working for a major
auto manufacturing company. (DEC Vax is as bad (or good) as it got)

In my spare time, I plug my Carvin guitar into my Fender amp and make
loud noise... (Actually don't get many complaints on end product there,
either) B-)

Scott

Scott Neuhauser

Aug 3, 2002, 3:10:30 AM8/3/02
NOW you're talkin'!!

Jim

Aug 3, 2002, 5:18:13 AM8/3/02
>"frohe" wrote:

>Ok, your turn.

Jim here.
I live in SoCal, about 70+ miles east and slightly north of LA.
39 yoa as of yesterday.
Presently single, no kids. (2 very unruly dogs though).
I work as a weld shop foreman for a fairly small but growing manufacturing co.(
We build pressure washers/steam cleaners).
I've been Q'in for 4 yrs. or so. I started on a ECB, recently moved up to a
WSM. I also have a Weber kettle for grilling and for roasting chiles.
As for hobbies, I love fishing; preferably saltwater- tuna, yellowtail, etc. I
like to cook. I do some homebrewing, not as much as I used to. I have won a few
ribbons for my pale ales in the past.
This has been an interesting thread.
It's good to know a little about the people behind the names.
Jim

M.A.Willsey

Aug 3, 2002, 8:54:32 AM8/3/02
Hey Jon;

Dragon Turds are Jalapeno stuffed with sausage, wrapped with bacon, held
together with a toothpick, cooked in the smoker till Jalapeno is wilted
looking and soft. Then I add an extra, I put on a little Sweet Bay Rays bbq
sauce.

Sweets

--
Web Address for BBQ USA, http://groups.msn.com/bbqusa/_whatsnew.msnw

Cuchulain Libby

Aug 3, 2002, 11:01:41 AM8/3/02

"Scott Neuhauser" <sneu...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Sliced pork tenderloin with some lemon pepper and IIRC either wooster or
soy, soaked for a bit. Half a chile; habenero for Dragon, jalepeno for Wolf,
wrapped with 1/2 slice thick bacon skewered with a toothpick and grilled.
Worth the labor to assemble. The full name, to give proper credit is:
Bigwheel's Cowtown Wolf[Dragon] Turds. Bigwheel is an LEO in the Dallas area
with a twisted sense of humor. I'll see about getting him to post here more
often.

-Hound

John D

Aug 5, 2002, 3:23:21 AM8/5/02
OK, here goes
John Downes,

- 38 years old
- Married for 14 years to one woman who I truly love
- Senior technical Analyst for 13 years for the largest bank in Canada
(computer jockey in other words - most of the coding was done in S370
asembler with a bit of cobol)
- BBQ'ing for about 4 years now.
- Own a Klose BYC, a home made model about 2600 lbs, and a home made indoor
model that has 9 35" X 35" shelves.
- Been doing special event catering for 2 years now
- Started catering weddings and corprate events this year
- The menue ranges from Turkey legs and chicken wings to Tenderlion and
Striploin, Pork side ribs to shoulder. - brisket is priced so that I don't
have to do it too often ;-)
- posted alot early on, but having difficulties finding time to do anything
now a days.
- Smoke my own hams and bacon, make my own sausage and beer, but always
looking for somthing new to try.
- just bought a 74 acer farm out towards Port Dover in Ontario. It has it's
own natural gas well that produces 500 cubic meter per day, 14 acers of
bush - Aproximatly 10 % maple 10% red oak, 15 % white oak, 20% vsarious
evergreens, and the best news - 45% hickory !!!!!!!!
- Presently converting the bank barn into a food services kitchen. Board of
health rules up here are very strict.

John D
Having fun , and breaking even in the food biz.

"frohe" <fr...@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been reading this NG for a while now and seems to have a good idea of
> the person behind the posts made here. But, I thought maybe we could have
> bit of fun here by spilling a few beans about ourselves. You know,
> something short to kinda introdude yourself to the rest, like what Q
rig(s)
> you run, how long you been Qin', and other pertinent factoids you want to

> include. But, certainly not a detailed account of your life to this
moment;
> IOW, no diarrhea of the keyboard.
>
> I guess I'll start then.
>
> - Net nick: frohe (it's German for happy which is my general demeanor
most
> of the time)
> - Age 53, married 26 years with 3 kids, one married, one in college and
one
> a senior in high school
> - I use a really fancy Q rig - a 55 gallon drum I got years ago. Was
raised
> on a drum from back when I was knee-high to a toadstool so I don't know of
> any other way to Q.
> - I live in central Texas and work as a civilian strategic planner for the
> US Army at nearby Fort Hood. Retiring in 3 years tho.
> - My other hobby is cycling. Got into it after having 3 little strokes
and
> being diabetic. Docs say it's good for my health. Who knows.
>
> Ok, your turn.

BBQ

Aug 5, 2002, 2:55:47 PM8/5/02
And for me

Netname - BBQ Though it changes frequently depending on where I am on
the net:-)

Age 46 Unmarried, No Kids, No pets

Residence - Midwest, USA

Employed as a Systems Analyst

Q'ing Experience - Been BBQ'ing since my parents let me light a match
about 8 years old

Current Equipment - Large Weber Kettle, CharBroil Vertical Smoker

Other equipment not in regular use - Table top propane grill, Weber
Smokey Joe(minature kettle)

Mainly cook burgers, brats or steak and occassionally seafood on the
Weber. About twice a month, try my luck smoking Ribs or Brisket on the
smoker. Only been experiementing with smoking 4 years or so.

Other interests - Computers, internet, cards, investing,
gardening(though did nothing this year), finding the perfect woman

Need help on - Getting and staying organized, getting my fingers
(keyboarding) to say what my mind is saying with correct spelling and
grammer, concocting a rub or sauce that others would rave about and of
course, finding the perfect woman

Favorite Quote found in this newsgroup - 'There done when there done'
was pertaining to a question about when are ribs done. Don't remember
who wrote it, but thought it was funny

Thats about it for me for now.

BBQ