Teacher Adam Hilliker gives kid detention for being right

Staffan Sjöberg

Nov 11, 2006, 6:10:39 AM11/11/06
http://buzz.bazooka.se/pics/?file=larare.gif Well, supposedly, at least. It
seems like a joke, but it has been relayed as a "true story". Personally I
think that even if a teacher did give someone detention for disregarding the
teacher authority, he would be at least somewhat apologetic about making
such mistake in class. Does anyone know anything about the "note"?

Staffan Sjoberg

John Gilmer

Nov 11, 2006, 6:38:24 AM11/11/06
Tee hee.

That's one of the reason I tell my kids that often they have to learn up to
three different versions of "the facts."

Once for the teachers; once for us parents, and once for themselves.

Like it or not that the teacher got something wrong isn't an excuse to
disrupt the class or to be a pest.

Wait until the kid is older and he has to deal with semi-literate "guidance
counselors."

"Staffan Sjöberg" <qswitch2....@passagen.se> wrote in message

Donna Richoux

Nov 11, 2006, 7:44:47 AM11/11/06
Staffan Sjöberg <qswitch2....@passagen.se> wrote:

It's dated 1994 (which is pre-WWW time), there's no signature, there's
no official letterhead, there are no identifying details, and the
content is so unlikely (arrogant teacher admits mistake yet says student
should not contradict him) that it seems quite likely to be someone's
vengeful fantasy invention. It reminds me of
victim-of-authoritarian-system literature, like "Catch-22," "Cuckoo's
Nest" and "Up the Down Staircase."

There are zero Google hits for "Adam Milliker" on the Web and also in
the Usenet archives, so this is not something that has been widely
circulated.

Perhaps you can give us more details to go on regarding "has been

relayed as a 'true story'".

--
Donna "it's a blackboard jungle out there" Richoux

Lee Ayrton

Nov 11, 2006, 7:58:02 AM11/11/06

I couldn't find anything firm on this, but some blogs and fora note this:

ADam HIllikER
ADolf HItlER

Insignificant in itself, but the date on the letter (April 20) is
Hitler's birthday and the letter does set an extreme authoritarian tone.

Others took issue with certain details in the gif -- "open" and "close"
double quotes were uncommon in 1994, the crease in the paper doesn't
affect the type, the highlighting it unusually straight for a human hand.

Thanks for sharing.

Commentary:
http://goldfischegirl.livejournal.com/555107.html

Quibbles on the image:
http://reddit.com/info/k1kr/comments

The obligatory "But it coulda happened...":
(Entry 12/13/2006, 05:29)
http://www.italknews.com/view_story.php?sid=8582

Was this the original?
http://ytmnd.com/sites/profile/445709

--
"I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with
whips....r"

Roland Hutchinson

Nov 11, 2006, 10:50:31 AM11/11/06
Staffan Sjöberg wrote:

Detention?

Heck almighty! I was given _suspension_ for that!

Not a friend of a friend, ME. I am prepared to name names of the parties
responsible (teacher and principal) if necessary.

At issue was not was not the relative lengths of the mile and the kilometer,
but whether intransitive English verbs could be classified, as transitive
verbs were in our textbook, as "complete" (having a direct object) and
"incomplete" (lacking a direct object). Textbook said no; teacher said
yes, and refused to look at the page of the textbook to which I refered
her.

The offense was "insubordination", based on my refusal to drop the matter.
Before re-admitting me to class a day or two later the principal kindly
removed a large volume of state education regulations from his bookshelf
and pointed out to me and my mother the clause that required me to do
whatever the teacher told me to, pretty much regarless of circumstances,
and certainly therefore including dropping a challenge and shutting up when
requested to do so.

As I recall, no apologies were offered on either side.

Almost two decades later, I met, by chance, the teacher's cousin on the
parapets of Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris and we had a jolly chat about how
she, a woman of firm but not necessarily enlightened opinions and unbridled
self-confidence, could be just the teeniest little bit difficult to get
along with at times.

--
Roland Hutchinson              Will play viola da gamba for food.

NB mail to my.spamtrap [at] verizon.net is heavily filtered to
remove spam.  If your message looks like spam I may not see it.

Nick Spalding

Nov 11, 2006, 11:18:33 AM11/11/06
Lee Ayrton wrote, in <Pine.NEB.4.64.06...@panix3.panix.com>
on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 07:58:02 -0500:

> Others took issue with certain details in the gif -- "open" and "close"
> double quotes were uncommon in 1994, the crease in the paper doesn't
> affect the type, the highlighting it unusually straight for a human hand.

Aren't double quotes standard in BrE? There's nothing on the face of it
to indicate a USA origin.
--
Nick Spalding

Lee Ayrton

Nov 11, 2006, 11:26:57 AM11/11/06
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Lee Ayrton wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Staffan Sjöberg wrote:
>
>> http://buzz.bazooka.se/pics/?file=larare.gif Well, supposedly, at least. It
>> seems like a joke, but it has been relayed as a "true story". Personally I
>> think that even if a teacher did give someone detention for disregarding
>> the
>> teacher authority, he would be at least somewhat apologetic about making
>> such mistake in class. Does anyone know anything about the "note"?
>
> I couldn't find anything firm on this, but some blogs and fora note this:
>
> ADam HIllikER
> ADolf HItlER
>
> Insignificant in itself, but the date on the letter (April 20) is Hitler's
> birthday and the letter does set an extreme authoritarian tone.

Following up to myself with some vague, lateral thoughts.

Not to intentionally engage in numerology, "April 20" can be expressed by
Murricans as 4/20. 420 crops up occasionally as a sekrit code for drugs.
See the Snopes entry: http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/420.htm

As Snopes notes at the bottom of the above cited page, April 20 1999 was
the date of the Columbine High School shootings.

April 22 (1870) is listed as the birth date of Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov.

April 22, 1994 is the date of Richard Milhous Nixon's death.

Or, perhaps, there's no significance in the dates at all. Backtracking on
a URL given as a link to the letter I find this site:
<URL:http://www.ytmnd.com/> "You're the man now, dog." It is no less
juvenile than the legend suggests. Doing a quick search on _teacher_ I
find this:
<http://www.ytmnd.com/list/?search=teacher&action=login&x=0&y=0> With
"real letter from teacher" posted by "Digeridude" on 2006-05-21 with
21,198 views. Pulling up that user yields this:
<URL:http://www.ytmnd.com/users/Digeridude/> Quite a lot of photoshopping.

Is it the original and is Digeridude the author or is he simply
forwarding the image? I've no way of telling. Googling on Digeridude
yielded this: <URL:http://www.digeridude.com/pictures.htm> It doesn't
include the "letter" but I see it as fitting into the gallery.

Staffan Sjöberg

Nov 11, 2006, 11:35:43 AM11/11/06

"Donna Richoux" <tr...@euronet.nl> skrev i meddelandet

Someone posted this to a forum I attend. Rereading the thread I see that the
OP included an "if it's true", but most posters seem undecided. Most of the
discussions I find by ways of Google are at least sceptical. So maybe
"relayed as true" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Staffan S

Lee Ayrton

Nov 11, 2006, 11:36:54 AM11/11/06
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Nick Spalding wrote:

> Lee Ayrton wrote, in <Pine.NEB.4.64.06...@panix3.panix.com>
> on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 07:58:02 -0500:
>
>> Others took issue with certain details in the gif -- "open" and "close"
>> double quotes were uncommon in 1994, the crease in the paper doesn't
>> affect the type, the highlighting it unusually straight for a human hand.
>
> Aren't double quotes standard in BrE?

I dunno. I an meither a language mechanic nor a typographcal artist. The
objection, apparently, was that the double quotes are left and right
handed. That is, that the open quote does this \\ and the close does
this // while most typewriters and word processors from the era would have
had neutral double quotes like this ||.

> There's nothing on the face of it to indicate a USA origin.

True, and perhaps only my own bias read it as Murrican. Would BrE use
"the" in the phrase "In the future,"?

Lee

Nick Spalding

Nov 11, 2006, 11:40:42 AM11/11/06
on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 11:36:54 -0500:

> On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Nick Spalding wrote:
>
> > Lee Ayrton wrote, in <Pine.NEB.4.64.06...@panix3.panix.com>
> > on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 07:58:02 -0500:
> >
> >> Others took issue with certain details in the gif -- "open" and "close"
> >> double quotes were uncommon in 1994, the crease in the paper doesn't
> >> affect the type, the highlighting it unusually straight for a human hand.
> >
> > Aren't double quotes standard in BrE?
>
> I dunno. I an meither a language mechanic nor a typographcal artist. The
> objection, apparently, was that the double quotes are left and right
> handed. That is, that the open quote does this \\ and the close does
> this // while most typewriters and word processors from the era would have
> had neutral double quotes like this ||.

Good point.

> > There's nothing on the face of it to indicate a USA origin.
>
> True, and perhaps only my own bias read it as Murrican. Would BrE use
> "the" in the phrase "In the future,"?

I must admit that "In future" would look better to me.
--
Nick Spalding

Staffan Sjöberg

Nov 11, 2006, 11:41:19 AM11/11/06

"Staffan Sjöberg" <qswitch2....@passagen.se> skrev i meddelandet
> [...]

What does the third letter in my last name look like to you people with
English systems? It's suppused to be an "o" with an umlaut, but I suspect
that it doesn't show up like that on every system.

Staffan Sjoberg (as it is spelled when I anglisise it)

Ralph Jones

Nov 11, 2006, 11:52:54 AM11/11/06
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 15:50:31 GMT, Roland Hutchinson
<my.sp...@verizon.net> wrote:

>Staffan Sj?g wrote:
>
>> http://buzz.bazooka.se/pics/?file=larare.gif Well, supposedly, at least.
>> It seems like a joke, but it has been relayed as a "true story".
>> Personally I think that even if a teacher did give someone detention for
>> disregarding the teacher authority, he would be at least somewhat
>> apologetic about making such mistake in class. Does anyone know anything
>> about the "note"?
>
>Detention?
>
>Heck almighty! I was given _suspension_ for that!

[snip]

I encountered similar situations several times, and found the optimal
tactic was to gently offer a bet of one letter grade in the course. It
had no good outcomes for the teacher: he could (a) take the bet and
lose; (b) refuse it and be exposed for a bluffer; or (c) mumble
something mealy-mouthed about grading rules.

And when the class knew I had an A in the bag to begin with, the peer
approbation was marvelous.

rj

Roland Hutchinson

Nov 11, 2006, 12:08:21 PM11/11/06
Ralph Jones wrote:

Oh, yes. There was indeed some peer approbation involved, though not so
much as to be overwhelming or to encourage a repeat performance. The
teacher involved was, as it happened, a "permanent substitute" who had
taken over the class for the remainder of the academic year when our
much-beloved regular teacher had to take a medical leave. We had all had
her as a sub for a day or two at a time on numerous occasions in previous
years. She did not command supererogatory quantities of sympathy from the
class even before the incident in question, poor thing. I would not have
wanted to trade places with her, then or now!

She was also the mother of my stand partner in the district orchestra. He
was a bit of a pain, too. But I digress.

David DeLaney

Nov 11, 2006, 12:15:14 PM11/11/06

High-bit ASCII is not standardized, correct. In a _very_ unusual occurrence,
it appeared as the o-umlaut for me both when reading the post and while
composing the followup, on both levels of quoting; usually either the
newsreader, or the editor, decides the letter is Something Else and has it
display as different from when I last looked at it.

Dave "you could always say Sj\"oberg ..." DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Mike Kruger

Nov 11, 2006, 12:20:04 PM11/11/06
"Staffan Sjöberg" <qswitch2....@passagen.se> wrote in message
Looks fine to me - o with umlaut.

When my daughter was president of the German Club in her high school, she
organized "Umlaut Appreciation Day". This was basically an excuse to have a
party, but they pretended to campaign against the suppression of the umlaut
in English systems.

Mike Kruger
(probably an umlaut in Kruger originally, too)

Paul Cassel

Nov 11, 2006, 12:22:35 PM11/11/06
Staffan Sjöberg wrote:

> What does the third letter in my last name look like to you people with
> English systems? It's suppused to be an "o" with an umlaut, but I suspect
> that it doesn't show up like that on every system.

My system shows it correctly as an 'o' with an umlaut. Curiously, I
can't dupe an umlaut here in the body of the text using the common ASCII
code 196. Note that it does appear in '...wrote:'

-paul

grey...@gmaildo.tocom

Nov 11, 2006, 1:09:30 PM11/11/06

rendered correctly, using slrn on Slackware

--
greymaus
Just Another Grumpy Old Man

David Simpson

Nov 11, 2006, 1:10:01 PM11/11/06
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:41:19 GMT, "Staffan Sjöberg"
<qswitch2....@passagen.se> typed furiously:

My system shows it correctly.
--
Regards
David Simpson

David Scheidt

Nov 11, 2006, 1:15:57 PM11/11/06
Lee Ayrton <lay...@panix.com> wrote:

:On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Nick Spalding wrote:

:> Lee Ayrton wrote, in <Pine.NEB.4.64.06...@panix3.panix.com>
:> on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 07:58:02 -0500:
:>
:>> Others took issue with certain details in the gif -- "open" and "close"
:>> double quotes were uncommon in 1994, the crease in the paper doesn't
:>> affect the type, the highlighting it unusually straight for a human hand.
:>
:> Aren't double quotes standard in BrE?

:I dunno. I an meither a language mechanic nor a typographcal artist. The
:objection, apparently, was that the double quotes are left and right
:handed. That is, that the open quote does this \\ and the close does
:this // while most typewriters and word processors from the era would have
:had neutral double quotes like this ||.

Microsoft word of the era, at least on the macintosh, had a "smart
quote" feature. So did other Mac wordprocessing software.

Nick Spalding

Nov 11, 2006, 1:24:19 PM11/11/06
Paul Cassel wrote, in <vP2dnQjG4Owum8vY...@comcast.com>
on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:22:35 -0700:

Those three digit MSDOS codes don't always work in Windows. Use the four
digit codes found in charmap.exe, Alt-0246 for ö.
--
Nick Spalding

Nick Spalding

Nov 11, 2006, 1:24:19 PM11/11/06
Staffan Sjöberg wrote, in <P2n5h.22328$E02....@newsb.telia.net>
on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:41:19 GMT:

> What does the third letter in my last name look like to you people with
> English systems? It's suppused to be an "o" with an umlaut, but I suspect
> that it doesn't show up like that on every system.

> Staffan Sjoberg (as it is spelled when I anglisise it)

Don't bother for me, it shows just fine here in its native form. Some
programs are better than others at displaying those higher-than-ascii
characters, Agent is pretty good at it.
--
Nick Spalding

Alan J Rosenthal

Nov 11, 2006, 2:04:54 PM11/11/06
David Scheidt <dsch...@panix.com> writes:
[directional quotes in fake typewritten letter]

>Microsoft word of the era, at least on the macintosh, had a "smart
>quote" feature. So did other Mac wordprocessing software.

Ok, but if the teacher were using that he would probably have used a
typeface such as Times (this being before the ubiquity of MS Comic Sans).
The creator of that gif image used a typewriter-style font to make it look
like it was created with a typewriter. (But slipped up in that typewriters
don't have directional quotation marks.)

Lon

Nov 11, 2006, 2:25:19 PM11/11/06
Staffan Sjöberg proclaimed:

It depends on whether folks read you with extended character sets
enabled and/or fonts that have the characters for umlaut-o, umlaut-u,
etc. Most computers can do iso 8859-1 or utf8, but some font sets don't
have the appropriate characters. Not to pick too fine a nit, but would
not the simple version be Sjoeberg, or has the tradition that attempts
to hint at pronunciation by converting umlautted vowels to such as oe,
ue, ae, etc. changed?

Barbara Needham

Nov 11, 2006, 2:14:45 PM11/11/06
Staffan Sjöberg <qswitch2....@passagen.se> wrote:

Looks good here, MacSoup.
With umlaut.

Jack Campin - bogus address

Nov 11, 2006, 4:17:06 PM11/11/06
>> http://buzz.bazooka.se/pics/?file=larare.gif Well, supposedly, at least.
>> It seems like a joke, but it has been relayed as a "true story".
> Others took issue with certain details in the gif -- "open" and "close"
> double quotes were uncommon in 1994,

Could equally well have been done on a daisywheel printer with a word
processor. I'm pretty sure IBM golfball typewriters had slanted quotes
for their common typefaces back in the 1960s.

> the crease in the paper doesn't affect the type,

Looks like somethimg that happened during scanning to me.

> the highlighting it unusually straight for a human hand.

It was obviously added after the scan - the rest of the image is pure
greyscale. In fact it's not unusually straight, I could easily draw
a line like that without even thinking about it.

I had teachers who acted much like that. Sounds plausible to me.

<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/> for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554 975

Staffan Sjöberg

Nov 11, 2006, 4:24:49 PM11/11/06

"Lon" <lon.s...@comcast.net> skrev i meddelandet
I really don't know. I've used this version since I was an exchange student
in the US in 1976-77. I tried converting the 'ö' to 'oe' but people who read
my name tended to pronounce each letter separately, which sounded really
weird to me. The prononciation of Sjoberg sounds much more like the way I'm
used to hearing it.

Staffan Sjöberg

Paul Cassel

Nov 11, 2006, 6:36:56 PM11/11/06

Thanks. The chart I saw said use 196 in both DOS and HTML. It didn't
seem to work either in text mode or HTML here.

Here is the result of Alt-246: ÷

So you see nothing seems to be universal.

-paul-

David Simpson

Nov 11, 2006, 7:15:55 PM11/11/06
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:36:56 -0700, Paul Cassel
<pcassel...@comremovecast.net> typed furiously:

You did not type the 0. It's ALT-0246=ö

Nick Spalding

Nov 12, 2006, 3:27:26 AM11/12/06
Paul Cassel wrote, in <geudndvAK78Zw8vY...@comcast.com>
on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:36:56 -0700:

> Nick Spalding wrote:
> > Paul Cassel wrote, in <vP2dnQjG4Owum8vY...@comcast.com>
> > on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:22:35 -0700:

> >> can't dupe an umlaut here in the body of the text using the common ASCII
> >> code 196. Note that it does appear in '...wrote:'
> >
> > Those three digit MSDOS codes don't always work in Windows. Use the four
> > digit codes found in charmap.exe, Alt-0246 for ö.
>
> Thanks. The chart I saw said use 196 in both DOS and HTML. It didn't
> seem to work either in text mode or HTML here.
>
> Here is the result of Alt-246: ÷
>
> So you see nothing seems to be universal.

That is still a 3-digit DOS code. The whole point of my post was the
leading zero which identifies it as a Windows code. Try Alt-0246 like I
said.
--
Nick Spalding

Surfbus

Nov 12, 2006, 6:35:14 AM11/12/06
I've been a high school teacher since 1982. One thing that doesn't look
right about the letter from a UK perspective is that if it originated in a
state school c.1994 the teacher would normally have requested the parent's
acknowledgement by asking them to sign a consent form appended at the base
of the letter. If it was a boarding school they wouldn't need to contact the
parent by letter. If it was a day students' private school I've no idea, but
if you keep a student back for an hour after school the parents are supposed
to be informed in advance and acknowledge it.

Seeking written acknowledgment has been standard state high school practice
here for some time.

As other observers have pointed out, it doesn't appear to be on headed paper
either - again standard practice.

I would also have thought that if it was genuine, and it was the first
letter home, the teacher wouldn't have been foolish enough to outline the
exact humiliating details of the confrontation but that's just speculation
on my part - there are plenty of foolish teachers out there.

I also find it hard to believe that the parent didn't come up with some
suitably pithy response and the pair of letters would then have gone into
folklore rather than just the first one.

I have never heard this tale mentioned as an anecdote by colleagues or by a
speaker at a course or conference, but again, maybe that's down to chance.

I have however heard other ULs distributed via my school's management team -
most notably the AIDS infected needles in cinema seats and vending machines
story surfaced not long ago and was passed on by form tutors to their
students at the behest of a Deputy Head (US = Vice Principal). More recently
our Head quoted the Obstinate Lighthouse anecdote at the start of her high
profile prizegiving evening speech. I felt my career prospects might not
benefit from letting her know it was pure hokum so she still remains in the
dark about that one ;-)

Surfbus

Donna Richoux

Nov 12, 2006, 8:25:40 AM11/12/06
Donna Richoux <tr...@euronet.nl> wrote:

> There are zero Google hits for "Adam Milliker" on the Web and also in
> the Usenet archives, so this is not something that has been widely
> circulated.

Although maybe if I had spelled the name right I would have come up with
something.

--
Donna "Gee Hillikers" Richoux

John Varela

Nov 12, 2006, 11:12:21 AM11/12/06
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:50:31 -0500, Roland Hutchinson wrote
(in article <bjm5h.144$Jd3.139@trnddc07>):

> At issue was not was not the relative lengths of the mile and the kilometer,
> but whether intransitive English verbs could be classified, as transitive
> verbs were in our textbook, as "complete" (having a direct object) and
> "incomplete" (lacking a direct object). Textbook said no; teacher said yes,
> and refused to look at the page of the textbook to which I refered her.

A friend who grew up in Madras told me this story about his first day of
Kindergarten. The teacher read the children some nursery rhymes, one of
which began "Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water..."
Now, my friend knew that when they went to their hill station in the summer
and the well ran dry, the servants went *down* the hill to get water. So he
wanted to know why Jack and Jill went *up* the hill when everyone knows you
go *down* the hill to get water. You would have to know the guy, but I can
just picture little 5-year-old Balraj holding on to his point like a bulldog.
He wound up taking a note home to his parents, deeply distressed since his
mother taught at the same school and the Kindergarten teacher was a family
friend. He didn't yet understand that school has a different set of rules.

--
John Varela
Trade NEW lamps for OLD for email.

Paul Cassel

Nov 12, 2006, 2:17:36 PM11/12/06
Nick Spalding wrote:

>> So you see nothing seems to be universal.
>
> That is still a 3-digit DOS code. The whole point of my post was the
> leading zero which identifies it as a Windows code. Try Alt-0246 like I
> said.

ö - worked. Thanks.

Lee Ayrton

Nov 12, 2006, 4:43:09 PM11/12/06
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

> I had teachers who acted much like that. Sounds plausible to me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Would that be a motto contest entry?

Lee Ayrton

Nov 12, 2006, 4:46:23 PM11/12/06

I haven't done the experiment -- rotating the text and enlarging it to a
standard letter-size sheet -- but does the typeface look a bit awkwardly
large to you?

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Nov 12, 2006, 4:47:57 PM11/12/06
Roland Hutchinson wrote:

> Detention?
>
> Heck almighty! I was given _suspension_ for that!
>

> Not a friend of a friend, ME. I am prepared to name names of the parties
> responsible (teacher and principal) if necessary.

> At issue was not was not the relative lengths of the mile and the kilometer,
> but whether intransitive English verbs could be classified, as transitive
> verbs were in our textbook, as "complete" (having a direct object) and
> "incomplete" (lacking a direct object). Textbook said no; teacher said
> yes, and refused to look at the page of the textbook to which I refered
> her.

My similar run-in was with my 8th grade English teacher, who
insisted that, since "sit" is intransitive and "set" is transitive,
one should properly say "the sun sits", not "the sun sets".

I think I backed off just in time to avoid a trip to the principal's
office.

Charles

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Nov 12, 2006, 4:49:43 PM11/12/06
Nick Spalding wrote:

> Lee Ayrton wrote, in <Pine.NEB.4.64.06...@panix3.panix.com>

> on Sat, 11 Nov 2006 07:58:02 -0500:

>>Others took issue with certain details in the gif -- "open" and "close"

>>double quotes were uncommon in 1994, the crease in the paper doesn't
>>affect the type, the highlighting it unusually straight for a human hand.
>

> Aren't double quotes standard in BrE? There's nothing on the face of it
> to indicate a USA origin.

Oh sure, but standard typewriters and even most computers back
then only had one set of quote marks, that look like this ", not
a set at the beginning which slanted the other way.

Charles

Louise Bremner

Nov 12, 2006, 5:25:29 PM11/12/06
Roland Hutchinson <my.sp...@verizon.net> wrote:

> ...a woman of firm but not necessarily enlightened opinions and unbridled
> self-confidence, could be just the teeniest little bit difficult to get
> along with at times.

I have a delicious memory of the one time a group of us eight-year-olds
were demonstrably right, with a teacher who refused to accept any
questions until she had finished her delivery of whatever she was
proclaiming. At the back of the class, we could see that one of the
candles on the class nativity display had burnt down far enough to melt
the plastic holder it was in and the flame was about to spread across
the table underneath, so we all put our hands up and said "Please,
miss!" as we'd been taught. She told us to wait until she had finished.
We insisted. She told us to shut up. We insisted even more. She was
starting to threaten detention and/or worse, when suddenly one of the
pine branches caught light and the flames shot to the ceiling.

The sight of her running from the room screaming "Fire!" cancelled some
of the frustration of being "taught" by her....

Louise "" Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

Random832

Nov 12, 2006, 7:31:30 PM11/12/06
2006-11-12 <hEM5h.24725$TV3....@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,

Mine was in K, over whether Alaska or Texas was the largest (land area)
state (the teacher thought TX was bigger because it's bigger on the map)
I don't remember how it turned out, though.

DevilsPGD

Nov 12, 2006, 10:37:23 PM11/12/06
In message <Pci5h.22296$E02....@newsb.telia.net> "Staffan Sjöberg"
<qswitch2....@passagen.se> wrote:

>http://buzz.bazooka.se/pics/?file=larare.gif Well, supposedly, at least. It
>seems like a joke, but it has been relayed as a "true story". Personally I
>think that even if a teacher did give someone detention for disregarding the
>teacher authority, he would be at least somewhat apologetic about making
>such mistake in class. Does anyone know anything about the "note"?

Personal experience, not a friend of a friend or anything stupid like
that, I had a teacher reject some lab results because my results were
"too accurate" and fail me on that lab.

Long version, it was a high school electronics class, his contention was
that out equipment all had at least a +/-5% margin of error, my results
were almost exactly, too close to have been achieved in a lab, and as a
result I must have simply done the math.

I re-did the lab the next class just to prove my point, showed him the
results, had the reading *exactly* matching my previous results, he
still refused to give me credit for the lab.

As a protest I failed to complete any labs for the rest of the year, I
just wrote a program in my calculator to do each of the calculations,
and introduce a randomized amount of error as it went. Passed with
flying colours too.

That teacher and I had butted heads before, he'd tried unsuccessfully to
get me suspended in the past -- It's a shame that teachers seem to enjoy
pissing matches, although it does make me feel better that I was making
his salary two years out of high school, and over twice his salary
within six years of that date way back in Grade 10...
</rant>

--
Q. How many Microsoft technicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. Three. Two to hold the ladder and one to hammer the bulb into a faucet.

R H Draney

Nov 13, 2006, 4:14:16 AM11/13/06
Louise Bremner filted:

>Roland Hutchinson <my.sp...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> ...a woman of firm but not necessarily enlightened opinions and unbridled
>> self-confidence, could be just the teeniest little bit difficult to get
>> along with at times.
>
>I have a delicious memory of the one time a group of us eight-year-olds
>were demonstrably right, with a teacher who refused to accept any
>questions until she had finished her delivery of whatever she was
>proclaiming. At the back of the class, we could see that one of the
>candles on the class nativity display had burnt down far enough to melt
>the plastic holder it was in and the flame was about to spread across
>the table underneath, so we all put our hands up and said "Please,
>miss!" as we'd been taught. She told us to wait until she had finished.
>We insisted. She told us to shut up. We insisted even more. She was
>starting to threaten detention and/or worse, when suddenly one of the
>pine branches caught light and the flames shot to the ceiling.
>
>The sight of her running from the room screaming "Fire!" cancelled some
>of the frustration of being "taught" by her....

I think you win the canned ham....r

--
"Keep your eye on the Bishop. I want to know when
he makes his move", said the Inspector, obliquely.

grey...@gmaildo.tocom

Nov 13, 2006, 6:11:37 AM11/13/06

Which may be the reason that Rumsfeldt (sp?) thought that 150,000
troops could control 'Iraq?..

PS, in K, (presummably Kindergarten) was this experience actually in
TX?

David Simpson

Nov 13, 2006, 7:18:47 AM11/13/06
On 13 Nov 2006 11:11:37 GMT, grey...@gmaildo.tocom typed furiously:

I heard that one of the Texan senators was complaining about Texas no
longer being the biggest state in the Union. One of the Alaskans
overheard him and offered to split Alaska in two which would make
Texas the third biggest.

Random832

Nov 13, 2006, 9:05:37 AM11/13/06
2006-11-13 <slrnelgl37....@greymaus.org>,

grey...@gmaildo.tocom wrote:
> On 13 Nov 2006 00:31:30 GMT, Random832 wrote:
>> 2006-11-12 <hEM5h.24725$TV3....@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
>> Charles Wm. Dimmick wrote:

>>> My similar run-in was with my 8th grade English teacher, who
>>> insisted that, since "sit" is intransitive and "set" is transitive,
>>> one should properly say "the sun sits", not "the sun sets".
>>>
>>> I think I backed off just in time to avoid a trip to the principal's
>>> office.
>>
>> Mine was in K, over whether Alaska or Texas was the largest (land area)
>> state (the teacher thought TX was bigger because it's bigger on the map)
>> I don't remember how it turned out, though.
>

> Which may be the reason that Rumsfeldt (sp?)

No T at the end - otherwise right.

> thought that 150,000 troops could control 'Iraq?..
>
> PS, in K, (presummably Kindergarten)

right. I wasn't sure how to spell it and I think it's a silly-looking
word anyway.

> was this experience actually in TX?

No.

Don Freeman

Nov 13, 2006, 12:51:11 PM11/13/06

"Roland Hutchinson" <my.sp...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Staffan Sjberg wrote:
>
>> http://buzz.bazooka.se/pics/?file=larare.gif Well, supposedly, at least.
>> It seems like a joke, but it has been relayed as a "true story".
>> Personally I think that even if a teacher did give someone detention for
>> disregarding the teacher authority, he would be at least somewhat
>> apologetic about making such mistake in class. Does anyone know anything
>> about the "note"?
>
> Detention?
>
> Heck almighty! I was given _suspension_ for that!

.
I wasn't suspended nor detented(?), but brought to ridicule in front of my
elementary school (mid-50's) class by the teacher when I stood up and shared
that there was a lizard called a dragon that I had seen on a TV documentary
(about the Komodo Dragon). Since she had never heard of it, it must not
exist and that I shouldn't be watching fantasy shows and mistake them for
reality.

--
-Don
Ever had one of those days where you just felt like:

John Varela

Nov 13, 2006, 1:18:20 PM11/13/06
On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 19:31:30 -0500, Random832 wrote
(in article <slrnelff70...@rlaptop.random.yi.org>):

> Mine was in K, over whether Alaska or Texas was the largest (land area) state

> (the teacher thought TX was bigger because it's bigger on the map)

What map projection was that?

Frank

Nov 13, 2006, 3:25:17 PM11/13/06

"John Varela" <OLDl...@verizon.net> wrote in message

>> (the teacher thought TX was bigger because it's bigger on the map)
>
> What map projection was that?
>
> --
> John Varela
> Trade NEW lamps for OLD for email.

Texas State Plane would work well for that li'l issue. However, it was
probably just NAD 27 CONUS or NAD 83. Those two are centered over the middle
of the conterminous U.S.

Who would've known that all of this GIS stuff would come in handy?

Frank "Mapster" Looper

Donna Richoux

Nov 13, 2006, 3:45:39 PM11/13/06
John Varela <OLDl...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 19:31:30 -0500, Random832 wrote
> (in article <slrnelff70...@rlaptop.random.yi.org>):
>

> > Mine was in K, over whether Alaska or Texas was the largest (land area)
state

> > (the teacher thought TX was bigger because it's bigger on the map)
>
> What map projection was that?

I imagine it used the common device of tucking a small representation of
Alaska somewhere around Baja California. Half of the first page of
entries at Google Images <map "united states"> do that, and the other
half don't include Alaska at all.

Example:
http://www.united-states-map.com/usa948c.gif

--
Donna "I don't know, Alaska" Richoux

Dr H

Nov 13, 2006, 6:50:30 PM11/13/06

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Staffan Sjöberg expostulated:

}
}"Staffan Sjöberg" <qswitch2....@passagen.se> skrev i meddelandet
}news:Pci5h.22296$E02....@newsb.telia.net...

}> http://buzz.bazooka.se/pics/?file=larare.gif Well, supposedly, at least.
}> It seems like a joke, but it has been relayed as a "true story".
}> Personally I think that even if a teacher did give someone detention for
}> disregarding the teacher authority, he would be at least somewhat
}> apologetic about making such mistake in class. Does anyone know anything
}> about the "note"?
}>
}
}

}What does the third letter in my last name look like to you people with
}English systems? It's suppused to be an "o" with an umlaut, but I suspect
}that it doesn't show up like that on every system.
}

}Staffan Sjoberg (as it is spelled when I anglisise it)

Renders correctly on my text-based reader.

Dr H

Random832

Nov 13, 2006, 8:35:56 PM11/13/06
2006-11-13 <0001HW.C17E2189...@news.verizon.net>,

John Varela wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 19:31:30 -0500, Random832 wrote
> (in article <slrnelff70...@rlaptop.random.yi.org>):
>

>> Mine was in K, over whether Alaska or Texas was the largest (land area) state
>
>> (the teacher thought TX was bigger because it's bigger on the map)
>
> What map projection was that?

a US map. Alaska's also the southwesternmost state.

Barbara Bailey

Nov 13, 2006, 9:53:18 PM11/13/06

It also fits neatly around Hawaii.

Dave Garland

Nov 14, 2006, 1:22:28 AM11/14/06
It was a dark and stormy night when Jack Campin - bogus address
<bo...@purr.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Could equally well have been done on a daisywheel printer with a word
>processor.

I'm pretty sure my Diablo 1620 (c. 1985) only had straight quotes. (The
ASCII character set only has straight quotes.) The IBM Displaywriter (a
mid-1980s word processor) only did straight quotes.

>I'm pretty sure IBM golfball typewriters had slanted quotes
>for their common typefaces back in the 1960s.

Selectrics only had straight quotes. Maybe machines like the IBM
Composer had slanted quotes, but that wasn't something a teacher would
have had.

But 1994 is well into PC (and MS Word) time. A lot of people did
letters in Courier because it looked like a typewriter.

Dave

Dave Griffith

Nov 16, 2006, 8:00:50 PM11/16/06
Don Freeman <free...@sonic.net> wrote:

> I wasn't suspended nor detented(?), but brought to ridicule in front of my
> elementary school (mid-50's) class by the teacher when I stood up and shared
> that there was a lizard called a dragon that I had seen on a TV documentary
> (about the Komodo Dragon). Since she had never heard of it, it must not
> exist and that I shouldn't be watching fantasy shows and mistake them for
> reality.

I forget what the question was, but I suggested "a plasma torch". I was
rebuked with "This is the real world, not Star Trek". A welding supply
catalog would have been helpful.

--
David Griffith
dgr...@cs.csbuak.edu <-- Switch the 'b' and 'u'

Lon

Nov 17, 2006, 11:54:41 PM11/17/06
Barbara Bailey proclaimed:

> On 14 Nov 2006 01:35:56 GMT, Random832 <ran...@random.yi.org> wrote:
>

>>2006-11-13 <0001HW.C17E2189...@news.verizon.net>,
>>John Varela wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 19:31:30 -0500, Random832 wrote
>>>(in article <slrnelff70...@rlaptop.random.yi.org>):

>>>What map projection was that?
>>
>>a US map. Alaska's also the southwesternmost state.
>

> It also fits neatly around Hawaii.

Which may be bigger than Alaska, if you go by area bounded by periphery.

Lon

Nov 18, 2006, 12:02:42 AM11/18/06
DevilsPGD proclaimed:

> In message <Pci5h.22296$E02....@newsb.telia.net> "Staffan Sjöberg"
> <qswitch2....@passagen.se> wrote:
>

>>http://buzz.bazooka.se/pics/?file=larare.gif Well, supposedly, at least. It
>>seems like a joke, but it has been relayed as a "true story". Personally I
>>think that even if a teacher did give someone detention for disregarding the
>>teacher authority, he would be at least somewhat apologetic about making
>>such mistake in class. Does anyone know anything about the "note"?
>

> Personal experience, not a friend of a friend or anything stupid like
> that, I had a teacher reject some lab results because my results were
> "too accurate" and fail me on that lab.

Hmm, I had an opposite teacher. Seems he was not amused when I computed
the gain in mechanical advantage of a multi pulley set up as a value
just under the "real" value as published in the book.

> Long version, it was a high school electronics class, his contention was
> that out equipment all had at least a +/-5% margin of error, my results
> were almost exactly, too close to have been achieved in a lab, and as a
> result I must have simply done the math.
>
> I re-did the lab the next class just to prove my point, showed him the
> results, had the reading *exactly* matching my previous results, he
> still refused to give me credit for the lab.

I got credit, but only after redoing the experiment multiple times and
showing the results as the mean, median, and standard deviation ona
splatter graph, plus calculating and correcting for the stretching of
the cheap string, the gross inaccuracy of the cheap scales, and the
friction of the cheap pulley setups and recalculating... yet again to a
non-integer number just slightly smaller than the theoretical actual
advantage, with a note that the presumed advantage was integral and that
my results may not have included as yet undiscovered variables and that
it would be unethical and unscientific to include results not consistent
with experimental behavior. Grudging credit, but credit. And
eventually became somewhat friends with the teacher once he understood
the first result wasn't *fully* intended as a smart ass result.

R H Draney

Nov 18, 2006, 1:44:11 AM11/18/06
Lon filted:

As opposed to those areas with the periphery on the inside, or with no periphery
at all?...

R H "don't want all the land, just what joins onto my place" Draney

Monte Davis

Nov 18, 2006, 8:10:54 AM11/18/06
R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>As opposed to those areas with the periphery on the inside, or with no periphery
>at all?...

Now you're making me edgy.

-Nicolas of Cusa

Monte Davis
http://montedavis.livejournal.com

TOliver

Nov 18, 2006, 10:55:04 AM11/18/06

"Lon" <lon.s...@comcast.net> wrote...

> I got credit, but only after redoing the experiment multiple times and
> showing the results as the mean, median, and standard deviation ona
> splatter graph, plus calculating and correcting for the stretching of the
> cheap string, the gross inaccuracy of the cheap scales, and the friction
> of the cheap pulley setups and recalculating... yet again to a non-integer
> number just slightly smaller than the theoretical actual advantage, with a
> note that the presumed advantage was integral and that my results may not
> have included as yet undiscovered variables and that it would be unethical
> and unscientific to include results not consistent with experimental
> behavior. Grudging credit, but credit. And eventually became somewhat
> friends with the teacher once he understood the first result wasn't
> *fully* intended as a smart ass result.

Sadly, celestial navigation (by sextant, either marine or aircraft models)
is no longer taught to aviators and future sea officers, satellites having
replaced stars, and electronic readouts subbing in for tradition.

After sailing through the 8 weeks of celestial - all on paper, with exact
solutions - at Navy Officer Candidate School, based on a grand instructor,
grizzled Master Chief Quartermaster Coleman and the dimly recalled high
school trig course from 5 years before - the first and among the few times
me that Trigonometry reared a useful head, I went to sea, soon acquiring the
duty of actually navigating, early mornings, evenings and the occasional
Noon spent applying what I had learned (sort of at best), fortunately in
company with an Old Salt Quartermaster who must have seen a dozen new
ensigns come and go as Navigators and Assistant Navigators (my billet, with
a more senior "navigator", an officer of great humor, rare drinking habits
and an inability to distinguish Port and Starboard consistently, much less
navigate).

Much to my horror, the exact solutions, the magical intersection of three
lines on a chart, proved impossible to duplicate in "real life" and I was
ashamed of my triangles, little triangles, but still evidence that my knees
bending with the sea or my eyes or my cries of "mark" were not of the
exactitude necessary. It was then that the Old Salt imparted to be a dose
of reality, that little triangles were the best that could be expected even
of the Matthew F. Maury and N. Bowditch,, patron saints of USN navigators,
and that there was a magic solution occasionally applicable to celestial
navigation and even more often fitting "coastal piloting" and "dead
reckoning" the other two legs of the tripod upon which navigators are
applauded or pilloried.

I learned to creatively (and safely) employ "Finagle's Variable Constant",
the secret to success of all differentially enabled practitioners of higher
mathematics, the vehicle by which modest adjustments may improve solutions.
As a matter of history, consistently employed by one C. Colon, Master and
Navigator, Professor Finagle's device remains one of the best kept secrets
of exploration, and the principal bolster and prop of practical seamanship,
that if one has with some consistency and a carefully wound chronometer,
determined one's vessel to occupy a position upon a chart, one is usually
about right, give or take a few nautical miles in one direction or another,
enough of a margin to require a sharp lookout in case some obstacle has
moved (or been miscalculated) into a position directly in the path of one's
vessel.

TM "Better to crank the stars down to the horizon, than to elevate the
horizon to the stars." Oliver

Andrea Jones

Nov 18, 2006, 11:19:49 AM11/18/06

"TOliver" <tolive...@Hot.rr.com> wrote in message

> "Lon" <lon.s...@comcast.net> wrote...
>>
>> I got credit, but only after redoing the experiment multiple times and
>> showing the results as the mean, median, and standard deviation ona
>> splatter graph, plus calculating and correcting for the stretching of the
>> cheap string, the gross inaccuracy of the cheap scales, and the friction
>> of the cheap pulley setups and recalculating... yet again to a
>> non-integer number just slightly smaller than the theoretical actual
>> advantage, with a note that the presumed advantage was integral and that
>> my results may not have included as yet undiscovered variables and that
>> it would be unethical and unscientific to include results not consistent
>> with experimental behavior. Grudging credit, but credit. And
>> eventually became somewhat friends with the teacher once he understood
>> the first result wasn't *fully* intended as a smart ass result.
>
> Sadly, celestial navigation (by sextant, either marine or aircraft models)
> is no longer taught to aviators and future sea officers, satellites having
> replaced stars, and electronic readouts subbing in for tradition.

<snip>

The tools and knowledge for celestial navigation were still in place on at
least one USN combat vessel in late January of 2003 when the ship on which I
was stationed had both Inertial Navigation Systems go down, followed all too
shortly by the GPS antenna. For close to a week and a half an Aegis class
destroyer ended up piloted through shallow extreme-Northern Arabian Gulf
waters by a combination of extremely cautious steering, celestial
navigation, dead reckoning, and the occasional check by landmarks if we got
too close to an oil platform.

Our Quartermasters and the NavO were nervous wrecks the entire time and
nearly wept with gratitude when tech reps came out and got the electronic
systems running, but they did a fine job and not once did we run aground on
one of the multitude of sand bars that lie in wait for the unwary navigator
in that area.

More nerve-wracking for the rest of us was the fact that all our weapons
systems with the exception of the Phalanx Close-In Weapons System are
dependent on the INS for levelling information, the failure of which turned
them into so much useless scrap. Those of us dealing with our one offensive
weapons system, Tomahawk, regarded it as a grand vacation during which we
didn't have to notify the entire chain of command up to CentCom that we
would be down for routine maintenance.

Andrea "few things are more offensive than a Tomahawk" Jones

danny burstein

Nov 18, 2006, 11:38:14 AM11/18/06
In <FoG7h.29214$nG1....@tornado.southeast.rr.com> "Andrea Jones" <ajone...@carolina.rr.com> writes:

>Our Quartermasters and the NavO were nervous wrecks the entire time and
>nearly wept with gratitude when tech reps came out and got the electronic
>systems running, but they did a fine job and not once did we run aground on
>one of the multitude of sand bars that lie in wait for the unwary navigator
>in that area.

>More nerve-wracking for the rest of us was the fact that all our weapons
>systems with the exception of the Phalanx Close-In Weapons System are
>dependent on the INS for levelling information, the failure of which turned
>them into so much useless scrap. Those of us dealing with our one offensive
>weapons system, Tomahawk, regarded it as a grand vacation during which we
>didn't have to notify the entire chain of command up to CentCom that we
>would be down for routine maintenance.

Didn't _anyone_ learn from Trek movie number mumble
that you never, never, tie all your weapons systems
into the warp engines?

dan...@panix.com

Ralph Jones

Nov 18, 2006, 11:53:28 AM11/18/06
On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:55:04 GMT, "TOliver" <tolive...@Hot.rr.com>
wrote:
[snip]

>a more senior "navigator", an officer of great humor, rare drinking habits
>and an inability to distinguish Port and Starboard consistently, much less
>navigate).
[snip]

Perhaps a certain reporter at _USA Today_ used him for a resource. He
traveled to Australia to cover the America's Cup races, and began his
coverage a couple of weeks in advance by saying in effect "I know you
rubes don't know anything about boats, so I'll educate you over the
next two weeks so you'll comprehend my race commentaries."

He then expended eight or ten column inches in a rambling attempt to
explain Port and Starboard -- and got it backwards. It was clear that
someone had tried to communicate the concept that Port and Starboard
are relative to a vessel while Left and Right are relative to a
person, without result.

rj

Paul Tomblin

Nov 18, 2006, 12:54:49 PM11/18/06
In a previous article, "Andrea Jones" <ajone...@carolina.rr.com> said:
>The tools and knowledge for celestial navigation were still in place on at
>least one USN combat vessel in late January of 2003 when the ship on which I
>was stationed had both Inertial Navigation Systems go down, followed all too
>shortly by the GPS antenna. For close to a week and a half an Aegis class
>destroyer ended up piloted through shallow extreme-Northern Arabian Gulf
>waters by a combination of extremely cautious steering, celestial
>navigation, dead reckoning, and the occasional check by landmarks if we got
>too close to an oil platform.

It just amazes me that nobody on the bridge had a Garmin eTrip or
something as backup.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptom...@xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
"Go go Gadget kernel compile!" - Chris "Saundo" Saunderson

Andrea Jones

Nov 18, 2006, 1:08:08 PM11/18/06

"Paul Tomblin" <ptomblin...@xcski.com> wrote in message

> In a previous article, "Andrea Jones" <ajone...@carolina.rr.com> said:
>>The tools and knowledge for celestial navigation were still in place on at
>>least one USN combat vessel in late January of 2003 when the ship on which
>>was stationed had both Inertial Navigation Systems go down, followed all
>>too
>>shortly by the GPS antenna. For close to a week and a half an Aegis class
>>destroyer ended up piloted through shallow extreme-Northern Arabian Gulf
>>waters by a combination of extremely cautious steering, celestial
>>navigation, dead reckoning, and the occasional check by landmarks if we
>>got
>>too close to an oil platform.
>
> It just amazes me that nobody on the bridge had a Garmin eTrip or
> something as backup.

Strange you should mention that. It was shortly after getting home from
that deployment that I purchased a hand-held GPS device, and never failed to
bring it along when we went underway.

Andrea "Some things scar you for life!" Jones

David Simpson

Nov 18, 2006, 3:03:16 PM11/18/06
On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:55:04 GMT, "TOliver" <tolive...@Hot.rr.com>
typed furiously:

Hence the "Lighthouse vs Carrier/Battleship" UL.

R H Draney

Nov 18, 2006, 3:59:13 PM11/18/06
TOliver filted:

>Sadly, celestial navigation (by sextant, either marine or aircraft models)
>is no longer taught to aviators and future sea officers, satellites having
>replaced stars, and electronic readouts subbing in for tradition.

Aha!...so the conspiracy loons are right...the stars *have* been replaced!...r

celticsoc

Nov 19, 2006, 12:58:15 AM11/19/06

Wow, haven't read in a while. I guess the BoP doesn't exist anymore?

Alice Faber

Nov 19, 2006, 1:14:36 AM11/19/06
In article <1163915895.0...@j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"celticsoc" <celt...@aol.com> wrote:

It does...but not everyone reads every thread, especially when it
appears to have degenerated into highway numbering or gas taxes...

--
"Personally, I rely on a Rottweiler for 802.11 security"
--Nathan Tenny shares his "professional" networking expertise

Lee Ayrton

Nov 19, 2006, 2:18:12 PM11/19/06

Is there a named Immutable Natural Usenet Law that demonstrates the
relationship between the number of posts preceding any given Usenet
article and the diminishing likelihood of that post yielding anything
informational, interesting, enlightening or amusing?

--
"I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with
whips....r"
R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Lee Ayrton

Nov 19, 2006, 3:16:43 PM11/19/06
On Sat, 18 Nov 2006, Paul Tomblin wrote:

> In a previous article, "Andrea Jones" <ajone...@carolina.rr.com> said:
>> The tools and knowledge for celestial navigation were still in place on at
>> least one USN combat vessel in late January of 2003 when the ship on which I
>> was stationed had both Inertial Navigation Systems go down, followed all too
>> shortly by the GPS antenna. For close to a week and a half an Aegis class
>> destroyer ended up piloted through shallow extreme-Northern Arabian Gulf
>> waters by a combination of extremely cautious steering, celestial
>> navigation, dead reckoning, and the occasional check by landmarks if we got
>> too close to an oil platform.
>
> It just amazes me that nobody on the bridge had a Garmin eTrip or
> something as backup.

Shouldn't that eventually lead to ULs about a helmsperson running into a
breakwater because the GPS told him to? (cf wrong way on street or over
missing bridge because the GPS said it was OK).

Nick Spalding

Nov 19, 2006, 3:35:32 PM11/19/06
Lee Ayrton wrote, in <Pine.NEB.4.64.06...@panix2.panix.com>
on Sun, 19 Nov 2006 15:16:43 -0500:

> On Sat, 18 Nov 2006, Paul Tomblin wrote:
>
> > It just amazes me that nobody on the bridge had a Garmin eTrip or
> > something as backup.
>
> Shouldn't that eventually lead to ULs about a helmsperson running into a
> breakwater because the GPS told him to? (cf wrong way on street or over
> missing bridge because the GPS said it was OK).

Or, as in a recent case reported in the UK, onto a ford with the river in
flood.
--
Nick Spalding

David DeLaney

Nov 19, 2006, 11:56:43 PM11/19/06
Lee Ayrton <lay...@panix.com> wrote:

>Alice Faber wrote:
>> "celticsoc" <celt...@aol.com> wrote:
>>> Wow, haven't read in a while. I guess the BoP doesn't exist anymore?
>>
>> It does...but not everyone reads every thread, especially when it
>> appears to have degenerated into highway numbering or gas taxes...
>
>Is there a named Immutable Natural Usenet Law that demonstrates the
>relationship between the number of posts preceding any given Usenet
>article and the diminishing likelihood of that post yielding anything
>informational, interesting, enlightening or amusing?

Not that I know of. There's a numbered one but it doesn't go into actual
practical sadistics on the point, just states a theoretical progression.
(Well, okay, it's named too. But someone else was using the name first,
and it's not the right name, and and and...)

Dave "so ... is the common denominator always numbers? Or do we have to
include names and songs?" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Message has been deleted

Roland Hutchinson

Nov 23, 2006, 12:53:57 AM11/23/06
Ken Arromdee wrote:

> And mine got angry when I insisted that the element iodine was a solid.
> ("Iodine" meaning iodine solution is a liquid, which is probably what she
> was thinking of.)

Wouldn't be likely to happen today: Not only do kids today have no personal
experience of tincture of iodine, but it has also been off the market (as
an over-the-counter antiseptic) for so long that most of their teachers
haven't any experience of it, either.

--
Roland Hutchinson              Will play viola da gamba for food.

NB mail to my.spamtrap [at] verizon.net is heavily filtered to
remove spam.  If your message looks like spam I may not see it.

grey...@gmaildo.tocom

Nov 23, 2006, 6:23:54 AM11/23/06
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 05:53:57 GMT, Roland Hutchinson wrote:
> Ken Arromdee wrote:
>
>> And mine got angry when I insisted that the element iodine was a solid.
>> ("Iodine" meaning iodine solution is a liquid, which is probably what she
>> was thinking of.)
>
> Wouldn't be likely to happen today: Not only do kids today have no personal
> experience of tincture of iodine, but it has also been off the market (as
> an over-the-counter antiseptic) for so long that most of their teachers
> haven't any experience of it, either.

Gentian Violet
Pemeg* of Potash
Plus yer iodine

Good for most of what ails you, up to what you need to go to a doctor
for.

And How do I know?.. Why, that's what I treat most of the dog's
ailments with....

The above do not have antibiotics, which means that when you need
antibiotics, they should work.

There was something about zinc powder as well.

I remember a farmer having something called St. Anthony's oils (or a
similiar name) which he used for a lot of ailments of sheep, until the
bottle opened in his pocket. He said later that it left a scar, but
wasn't on to show it.

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Nov 23, 2006, 12:51:26 PM11/23/06
grey...@gmaildo.tocom wrote:

> I remember a farmer having something called St. Anthony's oils (or a
> similiar name) which he used for a lot of ailments of sheep, until the
> bottle opened in his pocket. He said later that it left a scar, but
> wasn't on to show it.

Liniment for St. Anthony's Fire?

Charles

Lee Ayrton

Nov 24, 2006, 1:44:48 PM11/24/06
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, grey...@gmaildo.tocom wrote:

> I remember a farmer having something called St. Anthony's oils (or a
> similiar name) which he used for a lot of ailments of sheep, until the
> bottle opened in his pocket. He said later that it left a scar, but
> wasn't on to show it.

St. Anthony's Oil it is:

<URL:http://www.luckymojo.com/lucky-mojo-inventory.html>

OIL-CAT-ANTH Oil, Catholic St. Anthony Oil, $5.00

Lee "Gahhhh! It burns! It burns!" Ayrotn

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Nov 24, 2006, 3:41:52 PM11/24/06
Lee Ayrton wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, grey...@gmaildo.tocom wrote:
>
>> I remember a farmer having something called St. Anthony's oils (or a
>> similiar name) which he used for a lot of ailments of sheep, until the
>> bottle opened in his pocket. He said later that it left a scar, but
>> wasn't on to show it.
>

> St. Anthony's Oil it is:
>
> <URL:http://www.luckymojo.com/lucky-mojo-inventory.html>
>
> OIL-CAT-ANTH Oil, Catholic St. Anthony Oil, $5.00

http://www.geocities.com/vampyressgrimoire/Aromatherapy.htm

ST. ANTHONY OIL
For peace and blessings and locating lost or missing articles

The other oils on that page are interesting also.

I also note that there is [or was] a St. Anthony Oil Corporation.

Charles

R H Draney

Nov 25, 2006, 3:11:34 AM11/25/06
Charles Wm. Dimmick filted:

>ST. ANTHONY OIL
>For peace and blessings and locating lost or missing articles
>
>The other oils on that page are interesting also.
>
>I also note that there is [or was] a St. Anthony Oil Corporation.

A wholly (or holy) owned subsidiary of God & Mammon, Inc....r

grey...@gmaildo.tocom

Nov 25, 2006, 5:26:19 AM11/25/06
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:44:48 -0500, Lee Ayrton wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, grey...@gmaildo.tocom wrote:
>
>> I remember a farmer having something called St. Anthony's oils (or a
>> similiar name) which he used for a lot of ailments of sheep, until the
>> bottle opened in his pocket. He said later that it left a scar, but
>> wasn't on to show it.
>
> St. Anthony's Oil it is:
>
><URL:http://www.luckymojo.com/lucky-mojo-inventory.html>
>
> OIL-CAT-ANTH Oil, Catholic St. Anthony Oil, $5.00

This seems an ordinary holy oil, compared to the vicious stuff that
man had. May have mixed up the name in my mind over about 40 years..

Lee Ayrton

Nov 25, 2006, 1:11:47 PM11/25/06
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, grey...@gmaildo.tocom wrote:

>>> And mine got angry when I insisted that the element iodine was a solid.
>>> ("Iodine" meaning iodine solution is a liquid, which is probably what she
>>> was thinking of.)
>>
>> Wouldn't be likely to happen today: Not only do kids today have no personal
>> experience of tincture of iodine, but it has also been off the market (as
>> an over-the-counter antiseptic) for so long that most of their teachers
>> haven't any experience of it, either.
>
> Gentian Violet

Gentian Violet, while not high demand, is still an over the counter
preparation in the USofA. It seems to be enjoying a resurgence in the
breastfeeding crowd as a treatment for fungal infections of the nipple:

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/breastfeedinginfo/a/aanho6_2.htm

Instructs the mother to apply the solution to the baby's mouth, then apply
the purple-mouth baby to the nipple.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202259.html

"Gentian violet topical solution has not been reported to cause problems
in nursing babies." I wonder if this includes applying directly to
nursing babies?

http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/5/5/902

Gentian Violet causes cancer in laboratory mice. According to popular
wisdom, pretty much everything _else_ does, too.

grey...@gmaildo.tocom

Nov 25, 2006, 4:26:53 PM11/25/06
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 13:11:47 -0500, Lee Ayrton wrote:

> Gentian Violet, while not high demand, is still an over the counter
> preparation in the USofA. It seems to be enjoying a resurgence in the
> breastfeeding crowd as a treatment for fungal infections of the nipple:
>
> http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/breastfeedinginfo/a/aanho6_2.htm
>
> Instructs the mother to apply the solution to the baby's mouth, then apply
> the purple-mouth baby to the nipple.
>

> http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202259.html
>
> "Gentian violet topical solution has not been reported to cause problems
> in nursing babies." I wonder if this includes applying directly to
> nursing babies?
>

> http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/5/5/902
>
> Gentian Violet causes cancer in laboratory mice. According to popular
> wisdom, pretty much everything _else_ does, too.

Seems so. I don't think that I would let it near a newborn baby, but
it worked wonders on the dog's rash..

Lon

Nov 25, 2006, 7:42:01 PM11/25/06
Roland Hutchinson proclaimed:

> Ken Arromdee wrote:
>

>>And mine got angry when I insisted that the element iodine was a solid.
>>("Iodine" meaning iodine solution is a liquid, which is probably what she
>>was thinking of.)
>

> Wouldn't be likely to happen today: Not only do kids today have no personal
> experience of tincture of iodine, but it has also been off the market (as
> an over-the-counter antiseptic) for so long that most of their teachers
> haven't any experience of it, either.

And solid iodine is possibly less available due to the tendency of chem
students to soak it in strong ammonium hydroxide then leave the result
setting around on desks and stuff.

David Winsemius

Nov 25, 2006, 9:57:51 PM11/25/06
Lon <lon.s...@comcast.net> wrote in