Gas-out, new version

barbara_n

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
I received this, forwarded at least once, last night. After gas prices
have already come down, although they are 10 cents higher in Hanford
(California) where I live, than in Fresno, 30 miles to the north.
Barbara N.
Begin e-mail:

>A better gas-out
>I'm sure you heard about the "gas-out" on April 30. Word spread so fast
>on e-mail that the whole nation knows about it and the media picked up
>on it.
>
>However, gas companies weren't scared because they wouldn't lose sales,
>since everybody was buying gas on April 29 and May 1.
>
>So, a Las Vegas radio station has come up with a better idea to take
>things one step further. The radio station has suggested to boycott a
>particular company, and refuse to buy from them until prices get back
>down to normal. The radio station picked Chevron, so in order to make
>this work, you need to stop buying from Chevron until their prices
>become normal again.
>
>Maybe a severe loss of business will force them to take action in order
>to drop prices and regain business, which will force changes by the
>rest of the companies across the board to remain competitive. Sick of
>paying close to $2 a gallon? This can work, but you have to do two
>things:
>1. Do not shop at Chevron
>2. Send this on to everybody you know. (Use the cut and paste
>method)

>The reason Chevron was picked because they were one of 2 companies who
>started this whole thing. Chevron raised its prices because it shut
>down one of its refineries and said that they couldn't keep up with
>the demand.
>
>They used the supply and demand theory. They DEMAND more money
>because they don't have the SUPPLY that its competitors don't have.

>1ST BOYCOTT: START JUNE 1 THRU 30TH..
>LETS SEE HOW THIS ONE WILL WORK.

NOTE: The instruction to use the cut & paste method.. they must have
received that other e-mail warning.
Reply to need...@cvconline.com

RadioFlyr

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99

> >1. Do not shop at Chevron
> >2. Send this on to everybody you know. (Use the cut and paste
> >method)

Ah, the old cut and paste method, how fondly I remember that play. We used
it to beat Esso back in the '70s!

Seriously though, if there was to be a good consumer movement, it would be
a "Drive-out" rather than a gas-out. It would be easy; for one day (or
week, or month) people would keep driving to a minimum, finding
alternatives such as taking the bus, carpooling, or even (gasp!) walking
to their destinations.
Instead of making up for lost sales prior to or after this action, it
would be gas that would _never be sold_. There would be no making up for
this and would strike a blow that he gas companies could feel. Score one
for the little guy!

Radio"job loss and domino effect notwithstanding"Flyr

Visit the "Little web server," || Also my other pages:
A Mac SE serving the web, at: || http://www.lpl.org/people/gianni
http://149.96.1.33 || http://149.96.1.135

TMOliver

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
RadioFlyr wrote:

> In article <37555288...@news.newsguy.com>, barb...@eudoramail.com wrote:
>
> > >1. Do not shop at Chevron
> > >2. Send this on to everybody you know. (Use the cut and paste
> > >method)
> >
> Ah, the old cut and paste method, how fondly I remember that play. We used
> it to beat Esso back in the '70s!
>
> Seriously though, if there was to be a good consumer movement, it would be
> a "Drive-out" rather than a gas-out. It would be easy; for one day (or
> week, or month) people would keep driving to a minimum, finding
> alternatives such as taking the bus, carpooling, or even (gasp!) walking
> to their destinations.
> Instead of making up for lost sales prior to or after this action, it
> would be gas that would _never be sold_. There would be no making up for
> this and would strike a blow that he gas companies could feel. Score one
> for the little guy!

Your perception of little guy mentality is flawed....

The little guys/gals of the world doeth not what they doeth out of
choice but most oft out of necesssity.

Most trips not made today will end up being driven tomorrow.

Making yourself "feel" better rarely changes the world or even your
corner of it.

Exxon, Chevron and the like have spemt a lot of time and effort becoming
large enough to insure that blips such as the one you're proposing are
unnoticeable. My Exxon dividends did not stop with the EXXON VAlDEZ nav
errors. On the other hand, my royalty payments have dropped to zilch
cause them camel-jockies and ex-Red Roosians are giving oil away for
potatoes and paper diapers.
--
TMOliver, el pelon sinverguenza
From a small observatory overlooking the confluence of the Three