New "gas-out" type thing I got today

Elvi Dalgaard

Apr 26, 2001, 3:30:19 PM4/26/01
Here's a regional variation on the gas boycott e-mail posted here in
February. No, not exactly an urban legend, but perpetuated the same way,
so I think possibly of interest to some afuistas. Here it is:

Boycott Esso and Petro Canada!

THE FOLLOWING WAS SENT BY AN ECONOMIST WITHIN THE FUEL INDUSTRY.
ANOTHER ECONOMICS PROFESSOR AT CAL REITERATED THE SAME LAST WEEK. I
THINK IT IS WORTH TRYING.

We heard today from a man who is very savvy about the economy,
namely, Clark Howard, and he says that the gas prices are going to
start going up again and will be high this summer-$0.82 and up. We
need to do whatever we can, and do it NOW!!!!

Gasoline Prices

This makes more sense than the don't buy gas on a certain day
routine that was going around last year Gasoline Prices! Whoever
started this has a good point. By now, you're probably thinking
gasoline priced at about $0.65
is cheap. Me too, as it is now $0.75 for regular unleaded!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us
to think that the cost of a LITRE of gas is CHEAP at less than
$0.72, we need to try an aggressive response. With the price of
gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take ACTION!

The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if
we don't buy it. But, (as the gas companies know full well, and are
counting on), that's not really a practical option since we all
have come to rely on our cars. But we CAN have an impact on gas
prices if we all act together.

**** Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, don't purchase
gasoline from the two biggest companies, namely PETRO CANADA and
ESSO. ****

You see, if they are not selling, they should be inclined, (i.e.,
"forced"), to reduce their prices. And, because of their size, and
hence market share, if they reduce their prices the other companies
will too. (They would HAVE no choice!). Isn't that a "juicy"
prospect? But to have an impact, we need to reach literally
millions of users. But it's do able!

I am sending this note to 35 people. If each of you send it to at
least 10 more ...and those 10 send it to at least 10 more and so
on, by the time the message reaches the sixth iteration, we will
have reached over one million consumers.

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to
you, please pass this message on, or one you compose, to at least
10 more E-mail addresses.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO BELOW $0.62 -
$0.65 AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK!

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

Barbara Needham

Apr 27, 2001, 3:01:43 AM4/27/01
On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:30:19 -0400, Elvi Dalgaard <el...@dsuper.net>
wrote:

>**** Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, don't purchase
>gasoline from the two biggest companies, namely PETRO CANADA and
>ESSO. ****

Mine was EXXON and MOBIL. Same Clark Howard, though.
--
Barbara Needham

Leo G Simonetta

Apr 27, 2001, 10:00:18 AM4/27/01

And here is what Clark Howard has to say:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/partners/clarkhoward/shownotes/2001/04/20.html

"A spam email is floating around the country that claims Clark
Howard is calling for a boycott of two major oil companies. The
email is not accurate. Clark did not write the email message, nor
does he favor boycotts."

Leo "excepting cascade boycotts" Simonetta
Leo Simonetta
"Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate." - Dr. Thomas F. Jones Jr.,
American college official (1916-1981).

R H Draney

Apr 27, 2001, 10:37:59 PM4/27/01
"Leo G Simonetta" <lsimo...@my-dejanews.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:01:43 -0700, Barbara Needham
> <barba...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:30:19 -0400, Elvi Dalgaard <el...@dsuper.net>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>**** Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, don't purchase
> >>gasoline from the two biggest companies, namely PETRO CANADA and
> >>ESSO. ****
> >
> >Mine was EXXON and MOBIL. Same Clark Howard, though.
>
> And here is what Clark Howard has to say:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/partners/clarkhoward/shownotes/2001/04/20.html

> "A spam email is floating around the country that claims Clark
> Howard is calling for a boycott of two major oil companies. The
> email is not accurate. Clark did not write the email message, nor
> does he favor boycotts."

You'd think they'd put a little more thought into these things before they
start playing with them...since some time last year, Exxon and Mobil are the
same company....

R H "women and men both little and small" Draney

Andy Walton

Apr 27, 2001, 11:54:08 PM4/27/01
In article <pmuietgihe5lrq8nb...@enews.newsguy.com>,
lsimo...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

[gas-out redux]

:And here is what Clark Howard has to say:

:
:http://www.accessatlanta.com/partners/clarkhoward/shownotes/2001/04/20.html
:
:"A spam email is floating around the country that claims Clark
:Howard is calling for a boycott of two major oil companies. The
:email is not accurate. Clark did not write the email message, nor
:does he favor boycotts."

I don't know how widespread his fame is, but Clark Howard is the highly
regarded host of a consumer affairs radio show in Atlanta, and his show is
syndicated regionally, if not nationally. I've heard him from Orlando to
Nashville, but haven't found his show (I haven't looked hard) farther
afield. That might offer a clue into the origin of this latest version; I
would guess that the same story from the Northeast would name David
Horowitz of "Fight Back" fame.

Howard is usually very careful not to mention any person or company by
name in consumer disputes, except for egregious scams and Atlanta mayor
Bill Campbell. H is calling for a boycott of a particular company would be
unprecedented, and his naming a company on air would be exceptionally
rare. The use of his name was, I think, an attempt to add credibility to a
silly idea.
--
"I'd love to sell out completely. It's just
that nobody has been willing to buy." -- John Waters