Exploding whale AVI file.

Dan Scherer

May 4, 1994, 1:07:52 AM5/4/94
The exploding Oregon whale windows AVI file is now available for downloading
from: ftp cathouse.org \incoming
Please get it and verify for me the truth of this urban legend!
(The file vfw11a.exe is the windows viewer for AVI files)

Jason R. Heimbaugh

May 4, 1994, 12:57:54 PM5/4/94
In article <2q7aj8$i...@hebron.connected.com> xan...@hebron.connected.com (Dan Scherer) writes:
>The exploding Oregon whale windows AVI file is now available for downloading
>from: ftp cathouse.org \incoming

It's now /pub/cathouse/urban.legends/gif/whale.avi. If anyone can make this
an mpeg, and send to me, I'd be happy.

Also, I may not keep this forever, it's almost 12 MB.
--
Jason R. Heimbaugh, j...@uiuc.edu
Lewis Grizzard, no longer my favorite living author, just another one of my

Andrew Welsh

May 4, 1994, 10:41:13 AM5/4/94

I assume that AVI is a video format. Does anyone fancy converting this to MPEG/
series of JPEG frames/whatever, so that we X-Windows users can admire an
exploding whale?

andrew "it would make a change from everyone else's Star Trek MPEGs' Welsh
--
Andrew Welsh (and...@bnr.ca) - All views in this posting are mine alone
AFU UK II - June 18th - Interested? Mail me.

Tony Sweeney

May 5, 1994, 1:23:31 PM5/5/94
In article <2q7aj8$i...@hebron.connected.com> xan...@hebron.connected.com (Dan Scherer) writes:

Uh, no it isn't. What happened here?

wolf...@acm.org

May 6, 1994, 9:56:35 AM5/6/94

Uh, yes it was. I picked it up a couple days ago. I haven't had a chance to
look at it yet, but there was a 12MB avi file at the above location, as well as
the viewer as of about Monday or Tuesday.

Michael P. Wolf
(MW...@A.PSC.EDU)

Kenneth C. Jenks

May 11, 1994, 4:06:51 PM5/11/94

Tony Sweeney replied

> Uh, no it isn't. What happened here?

It is, kind of. It seems to have been moved. Try...

ftp://cathouse.org/pub/cathouse/urban.legends/gif/whale.avi

I just retrieved it -- it is the real thing. Ugliest exploding whale
I've ever seen.

-- Ken Jenks, NASA/JSC/SD5, Space Biomedical Research Institute
kje...@gothamcity.jsc.nasa.gov (713) 483-4368

"Fire streaks the heavens; battle has begun."
-- Klingon "Lullaby"

Mess with Texas

May 12, 1994, 10:32:16 AM5/12/94
In article <1994May11.2...@aio.jsc.nasa.gov>,

kje...@gothamcity.jsc.nasa.gov (Kenneth C. Jenks) wrote:

> > >The exploding Oregon whale windows AVI file is now available for
> downloading

> > >(The file vfw11a.exe is the windows viewer for AVI files)

> Tony Sweeney replied
> > Uh, no it isn't. What happened here?
>
> It is, kind of. It seems to have been moved. Try...
>
> ftp://cathouse.org/pub/cathouse/urban.legends/gif/whale.avi

.... okay, I've consumed 12 Megs of disk space for the .avi file, but I
can't find the file vfw11a.exe .... is it at the cathouse????

Dana "breathlessly waiting" Netz
--

===Dana Netz, Electrical Systems Engineer | "All I know is, everything
===Electrochemical Engine Center | you know is wrong"

David Davison

May 16, 1994, 4:33:36 PM5/16/94
cask...@ix.wcc.govt.nz writes:

>You'll have to go out and buy Microsoft Video For Windows.

Not if you have Os2 installed, it ran fine for me under the windows mplayer.exe under os/2. Though it didn't work under the os2 player.. go figure.

David "Insert lengthy, but somehow poinient comment here" Davison

cask...@ix.wcc.govt.nz

May 16, 1994, 6:31:57 AM5/16/94
In article <netz-120...@mac-gm-ese.esa.lanl.gov>, ne...@esa.lanl.gov (Mess with Texas) writes:
>> downloading
>> >
>..... okay, I've consumed 12 Megs of disk space for the .avi file, but I

>can't find the file vfw11a.exe .... is it at the cathouse????

You'll have to go out and buy Microsoft Video For Windows. The TV station
that filmed the event gets a 30% cut of the profits on every copy sold to
someone who asks for a copy of vfw11a.exe. The program doesn't exist; it's
a codeword to tip the dealer this is a sale to watch the whale go FLOOMPH.

>Dana "breathlessly waiting" Netz

Steve "you're turning a funny colour" Caskey
--
Steve Caskey: cask...@kosmos.wcc.govt.nz - soon to be defunct
cas...@schools.minedu.govt.nz - for the forseeable future

M. Brent Sleeper

May 17, 1994, 2:44:13 AM5/17/94

In article <1994May16.2...@relay.acadiau.ca>, 000...@dragon.acadiau.ca (David Davison) writes:
> cask...@ix.wcc.govt.nz writes:
>
>>You'll have to go out and buy Microsoft Video For Windows.
>
> Not if you have Os2 installed, it ran fine for me under the windows mplayer.exe under os/2. Though it didn't work under the os2 player.. go figure.

There're also a handful of AVI -> QuickTime(tm) converters available. And at
least one QuickTime -> MPEG converter is out there. So... one would think that
supporting Microsoft is not a prerequisite for viewing the Exploding Whale(tm).

Ah... the beauty of Almost Open Systems.

M. Brent Sleeper Flightpath Communications
* *
bsle...@carleton.edu Fligh...@aol.com

Sean Willard

May 17, 1994, 1:10:38 PM5/17/94
M. Brent Sleeper (bsle...@carleton.edu) writes --

| There're also a handful of AVI -> QuickTime(tm) converters available. And at
| least one QuickTime -> MPEG converter is out there. So... one would think that
| supporting Microsoft is not a prerequisite for viewing the Exploding Whale(tm).

It's been said before so I'll say it again -- anybody got the
wherewithal to convert this puppy to MPEG? Please?

Sean "I *need* to see that footage for my research on vector meson
production -- really" Willard