1000 words for camel

Ray

Nov 20, 2009, 9:18:27 PM11/20/09
An episode of Cash Cab that I recently watched claimed that Arabic has
1000 words for camel. This seemed a bit unbelievable, so I googled a
bit and found the only credible datum is that Somalian has 46 words for
camel. But there are claims that Arabic has as many as 5744, so I guess
Cash Cab's claim of 1000 could have been worse. And I believe the
contestant(s) got it right.

According to Google this topic was last discussed on AFU way back in
the last century.
--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)

R H Draney

Nov 20, 2009, 11:02:36 PM11/20/09
Ray filted:

Amazingly, camels have only one word for "Cash Cab"....

R H "and you'd better have a moist towelette handy if they use it" Draney

--
A pessimist sees the glass as half empty.
An optometrist asks whether you see the glass

Ralph Jones

Nov 21, 2009, 12:49:55 PM11/21/09
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 02:18:27 +0000 (UTC), Ray
<vortre...@yaxhoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>An episode of Cash Cab

An amusing program, that. Could well be the best choice for one with
nothing to do but watch the tube at 4 PM...

rj

Alan J Rosenthal

Nov 21, 2009, 1:00:40 PM11/21/09
Ray <vortre...@yaxhoo.com.invalid> writes:
>An episode of Cash Cab that I recently watched claimed that Arabic has
>1000 words for camel. This seemed a bit unbelievable,

Googling around suggests that the usual form of the UL is "40 words for
camel", although one page says "over 160 words for camel". I'm fascinated
by the numerical relationship there.

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/99oct/9910camels.htm mentions in an
aside that
Speakers of Arabic have many words to express every refinement
of the cameloid condition. _Dhaqun_, for instance, refers to "a
she-camel that relaxes her chin so as to make her lower lip hang
down while going along."

That sounds like an awfully-specific word, doesn't it! But upon reflection
I think that that's just a detailed description of a particular species of
camel; it's not, for example, that there would be yet another word for a
camel which relaxes its chin so as to make its _nose_ hang down, and another
one which _tightens_ its chin so as to make its lower lip rise up, and etc.
But that's the sense one gets from the above paragraph.

How many words does English have for 'dog'? Count up all the subspecies
which people talk about, poodle, dalmation, etc, and you get many hundreds.
But it's stupid to say "English has five hundred words for 'dog'.[1]"

http://lughat.blogspot.com/2007/04/who-has-more-than-40-words-for-camels.html
is a good analysis.

regards,
ajr

--
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dog_breeds

Ray

Nov 21, 2009, 3:25:25 PM11/21/09
fl...@dgp.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) wrote:

> How many words does English have for 'dog'? Count up all the
> subspecies which people talk about, poodle, dalmation, etc, and
> you get many hundreds. But it's stupid to say "English has five
> hundred words for 'dog'.[1]"

A similar example I ran across was how many words English has for
"car".

Even more ULish, some claim that Arabic has no word meaning just plain
camel; I think I've heard a similar claim about Eskimos and snow.
But one of the pages I found listed the Arabic for camel; as I recall,
it's the source of the English word.

Robert Carnegie: Fnord: cc talk-origins@moderators.isc.or­g

Nov 21, 2009, 7:46:11 PM11/21/09
Ray wrote:
> Even more ULish, some claim that Arabic has no word meaning just plain
> camel; I think I've heard a similar claim about Eskimos and snow.

And how many English words are there for snow?

From <http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/snow>

Main Entry: bewilder
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: confuse
Synonyms: addle, baffle, ball up, befuddle, bemuse, confound, daze,
disconcert, distract, floor*, fluster, mess with one's head, mix up,
muddle, mystify, perplex, puzzle, rattle, snow*, stump, stupefy,
throw, upset

More where that came from but also: powder snow, sleet, slush, snow
blanket, snow crystal, snowbank, snowdrift, snowfall, snowflake.

And flurry, blizzard, sprinkling, dusting, stretching a point hail.
And anything they call it where you are. Oh, piste. And mogul. And
more in that genre, probably. I bet the Eskimos don't have a word for
mogul.

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Nov 22, 2009, 5:46:27 PM11/22/09
And of the third letter of the Greek alphabet, or so I've been told.

Charles

Keith F. Lynch

Nov 24, 2009, 10:29:43 PM11/24/09
Alan J Rosenthal <fl...@dgp.toronto.edu> wrote:
> How many words does English have for 'dog'? Count up all the
> subspecies which people talk about, poodle, dalmation, etc, and you
> get many hundreds. But it's stupid to say "English has five hundred
> words for 'dog'.[1]"

Disney has 101 words for "dalmatian."
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Robert Carnegie: Fnord: cc talk-origins@moderators.isc.or­g

Nov 26, 2009, 9:44:08 AM11/26/09
On Nov 25, 3:29 am, "Keith F. Lynch" <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
> Alan J Rosenthal <fl...@dgp.toronto.edu> wrote:
>
> > How many words does English have for 'dog'?  Count up all the
> > subspecies which people talk about, poodle, dalmation, etc, and you
> > get many hundreds.  But it's stupid to say "English has five hundred
> > words for 'dog'.[1]"
>
> Disney has 101 words for "dalmatian."

Um... there's "dalmation", then I'm stuck. :-)

David DeLaney

Nov 26, 2009, 9:58:59 AM11/26/09

Start with "Pongo" and "Perdita", and go from there...

Dave "of course, we're not sure how to spell them in the original Canine"
DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Robert Carnegie: Fnord: cc talk-origins@moderators.isc.or­g

Nov 27, 2009, 6:57:30 PM11/27/09
David DeLaney wrote:
> Robert Carnegie: <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Disney has 101 words for "dalmatian."
> >
> >Um... there's "dalmation", then I'm stuck. :-)
>
> Start with "Pongo" and "Perdita", and go from there...

That poor bi-

Keith F. Lynch

Nov 27, 2009, 10:00:43 PM11/27/09

Sorry, I don't speak Disney. But, at a guess, Illyrian, Ragusan,
Istrian, Zagoran, Dinaric, Korculan, Kotorite, Zadararn, Paklenican,
Kornatite, Kastelan, Yugoslav, and Croatian, for starters. :-)