You forgot to stuff it!

William Jones

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

I heard on the radio today (KIRO FM, Seattle) a story that made my
cynicism well up. It was basically a story about some people in the U.S.
military playing a joke on a "Mexican" guy on his first thanksgiving in
the States. Recounting the story in first person, she said that she
replaced the turkey with a cornish game hen, and when the Mexican guy saw
it he said, "You forgot to stuff it!"

She did not say if he was a U.S. citizen or not (must have been if he was
in the military,) but even if he wasn't, I would have a hard time
believing that he had never seen a turkey before. Given the high rate of
"laugh at the foreigner" urban legends in the world, I question this
story's voracity.

-Bill

Dave Wilton

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

William Jones wrote:

> She did not say if he was a U.S. citizen or not (must have been if he was
> in the military,) but even if he wasn't,

A good story, one that I have not heard before but you do not have to
be a citizen to serve in the military. In fact, joining the military
is a good way to accelerate the naturalization process in the US.
You do have to be citizen to be an officer, however, and the difficulty
in getting a security clearance can limit the jobs open to enlisted
non-citizens.

--
Dave Wilton
dwi...@sprynet.com

jwk...@students.wisc.edu

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

In article
<Pine.A41.3.95b.96112...@homer26.u.washington.edu>,
William Jones <rev...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> I heard on the radio today (KIRO FM, Seattle) a story that made my
> cynicism well up. It was basically a story about some people in the U.S.
> military playing a joke on a "Mexican" guy on his first thanksgiving in
> the States. Recounting the story in first person, she said that she
> replaced the turkey with a cornish game hen, and when the Mexican guy saw
> it he said, "You forgot to stuff it!"
>

> She did not say if he was a U.S. citizen or not (must have been if he was

> in the military,) but even if he wasn't, I would have a hard time
> believing that he had never seen a turkey before. Given the high rate of
> "laugh at the foreigner" urban legends in the world, I question this
> story's voracity.
>
> -Bill

I guess Cornish game hens are only used for practical jokes... has anyone
actually bought one to eat?

Back in high-school, I worked as a bag boy (PC translation: Courtesy
Clerk) at the Ballard QFC supermarket in Seattle. The day before
thanksgiving, I helped this young couple out to their car, and they had
one of those cornish game hens. They commented that they got it because
their 5-year old son was insistent that they get the largest turkey
possible. They bought the game hen to show to him when they got home,
while exclaiming that it was the largest one they could find.

Kinda funny. I checked- they bought a full-sized turkey too.

JK

Bob Hiebert, Jr.

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

jwk...@students.wisc.edu wrote:

> I guess Cornish game hens are only used for practical jokes... has anyone
> actually bought one to eat?

They are delicious. No really. And they come in that handy single serving
package which eliminates that messy "carving the turkey" fiasco.

Give everyone their own bird and let 'em have at it.

Bob H

Dwight Brown

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

In article <329ffbad...@news.mindspring.com>,
M.D.B. <eq...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Nov 1996 22:20:56 -0700, jwk...@students.wisc.edu wrote:
>
>>I guess Cornish game hens are only used for practical jokes... has anyone
>>actually bought one to eat?
>>
>Oh yes.

Add another to the list. I've even cooked them with stuffing for solo
Thanksgiving meals. (Though, these days, I prefer chicken vindaloo or
spaghetti carbonara for my Thanksgiving meal.)

>Remembering our 'lecture' about traditional Thanksgiving food, our
>mother purchased a real turkey the next year. Unfortunately, in a
>moment of cleverness, she purchased one that had been deboned,
>apparently to make carving easier.

In a distantly related note, the Wednesday (11/27) *Wall Street Journal* had
an article about something that's currently popular in Lousiana, but
spreading across the U.S.: the turducken. A boneless chicken, stuffed inside
a boneless duck, with the combination stuffed inside a boneless turkey (and
seasoned stuffing layered between the birds).
The article quoted one one turducken maker describing the time he made a
"pigturducken": same as a turducken, but with the turducken then stuffed
inside a pig. He was also described as planning for this Thanksgiving
(from memory: I left the *Journal* with the folks I had Thanksgiving dinner
with.) a variation, with the chicken stuffed with a cornish game hen, and
the turducken/hen como stuffed into an emu...
(When I read this article to my hosts, one of them pointed out, "You know,
there's a lot of room inside a steer...")

Then there's the Florida roofers who cook turkeys by wrapping them in foil
and throwing them into the hot tar, and the grand tradition of deep-fried
turkey...

==Dwight
*Journal*

Guinan

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

jwk...@students.wisc.edu wrote:

> In article
> <Pine.A41.3.95b.96112...@homer26.u.washington.edu>,
> William Jones <rev...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> > I heard on the radio today (KIRO FM, Seattle) a story that made my
> > cynicism well up. It was basically a story about some people in the U.S.
> > military playing a joke on a "Mexican" guy on his first thanksgiving in
> > the States. Recounting the story in first person, she said that she
> > replaced the turkey with a cornish game hen, and when the Mexican guy saw
> > it he said, "You forgot to stuff it!"
> >
> > She did not say if he was a U.S. citizen or not (must have been if he was
> > in the military,) but even if he wasn't, I would have a hard time
> > believing that he had never seen a turkey before. Given the high rate of
> > "laugh at the foreigner" urban legends in the world, I question this
> > story's voracity.
> >
> > -Bill
>
> I guess Cornish game hens are only used for practical jokes... has anyone
> actually bought one to eat?
>
> Back in high-school, I worked as a bag boy (PC translation: Courtesy
> Clerk) at the Ballard QFC supermarket in Seattle. The day before
> thanksgiving, I helped this young couple out to their car, and they had
> one of those cornish game hens. They commented that they got it because
> their 5-year old son was insistent that they get the largest turkey
> possible. They bought the game hen to show to him when they got home,
> while exclaiming that it was the largest one they could find.
>
> Kinda funny. I checked- they bought a full-sized turkey too.
>
> JK

When I was growing up, no one in the family liked turkey. We always had
cornish hens for Thanksgiving dinner. It was a real treat to us kids,
getting a whole bird to ourselves. No fight over the drumsticks. No
fight over the wishbone.

Kat Doty

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

M.D.B. wrote:

> I posted the deboned turkey article....
>
> I have absolutely no idea how it was done. All I recall was a flat
> (approximately 5 inches), turkey shaped 'thing' being brought to the
> table. How they food scientists accomplished this culinery miracle
> is beyond me.

My cookbook describes the procedure, which consists of cutting down the
the bird's spine and basically pulling the bones out one part at a
time. They make it sound simple, but an ordinary schmoe like you or
me would probably end up deboning our own thumbs.

--
Kat Doty | Generic .sig
dbe...@ix.netcom.com|insert random, snarky, non-P.C.

Bill Longley

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

In article <57q7uo$8...@urchin.bga.com>, Dwight Brown <stai...@bga.com>
writes

>the turducken. A boneless chicken, stuffed inside
>a boneless duck, with the combination stuffed inside a boneless turkey (and
>seasoned stuffing layered between the birds).
>The article quoted one one turducken maker describing the time he made a
>"pigturducken": same as a turducken, but with the turducken then stuffed
>inside a pig. He was also described as planning for this Thanksgiving
>(from memory: I left the *Journal* with the folks I had Thanksgiving dinner
>with.) a variation, with the chicken stuffed with a cornish game hen, and
>the turducken/hen como stuffed into an emu...
>(When I read this article to my hosts, one of them pointed out, "You know,
>there's a lot of room inside a steer...")

I heard about a traditional(?) Arab wedding feast which worked in the
same way, but ended up with a camel as the outermost layer. Anyone
else heard this?

Bill (Bill_L...@callahans.demon.co.uk)
"Be yourself. Nobody else would take the job."

Turnpike evaluation. For information, see http://www.turnpike.com/

Adam Bradley

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

>I guess Cornish game hens are only used for practical jokes... has anyone
>actually bought one to eat?

We used to have Cornish Gamehens stuffed with Uncle Ben's (tm) wild rice.
Quite tasty. Haven't had one in years (suddenly getting a craving).

To the person who said they had a deboned turkey - how do you debone an entire
turkey without dismembering it first? Seriously - I cannot picture how this
would be done.

RFerrie

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

M.D.B. wrote:
> I posted the deboned turkey article....
>
> I have absolutely no idea how it was done. All I recall was a flat
> (approximately 5 inches), turkey shaped 'thing' being brought to the
> table. How they food scientists accomplished this culinery miracle
> is beyond me.

Someone with better resources/more time than I might wish to call one of
those many "honey-glazed-ham" places. Approximately 6 years ago, in one
of those "elegant" magazines (Goodlife maybe?), they profiled one of
these companies. They had developed a fabulous Holiday Meal (by mail
order, I believe), which featured a whole, deboned smoked turkey stuffed
with a boneless honey-glazed ham. Apparently, this sucker looked like a
turkey, weighed around 30 lbs, and could be sliced like a loaf of bread,
since it was boneless & totally edible. One of these things was supposed
to feed something like 45-50 people.

So presumably *someone* has figured out how to collapse the
infrastructure while maintaining fleshular integrity....

Renee (now *damn* hungry)

Dan Knight

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

On Mon, 02 Dec 96 16:45:24 GMT, am...@ix.netcom.com (Adam Bradley)
wrote:
>In article <jwking-2911...@f183-224.net.wisc.edu>, jwk...@students.wisc.edu wrote:
>
>>I guess Cornish game hens are only used for practical jokes... has anyone
>>actually bought one to eat?
>>

>We used to have Cornish Gamehens stuffed with Uncle Ben's (tm) wild rice.
>Quite tasty. Haven't had one in years (suddenly getting a craving).
>
>To the person who said they had a deboned turkey - how do you debone an entire
>turkey without dismembering it first? Seriously - I cannot picture how this
>would be done.

Check out either of the following web pages. The first is Paul
Prudhomme's recipe. The second is based on Chef Paul's (different
seasonings) and has pictures at various stages.

http://www.webcom.com/gumbo/food/turducken.html
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~salmon/turducken.html

Larry Kubicz

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

Bob Hiebert wrote:

>jwk...@students.wisc.edu wrote:

>> I guess Cornish game hens are only used for practical jokes... has anyone
>> actually bought one to eat?

>They are delicious. No really. And they come in that handy single serving

>package which eliminates that messy "carving the turkey" fiasco.

I seem to remember reading a newspaper article several years ago that said,
in effect, there ain't no such animal as a "Cornish game hen". It stated
that the CGH sold in stores was nothing more than a small (immature?) chicken.

Larry "in spite of which, they _are_ delicious" Kubicz
lku...@earthlink.net

Hactar

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

In article <k7AxdGBQ...@callahans.demon.co.uk>,

Bill Longley <Bill_L...@callahans.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <57q7uo$8...@urchin.bga.com>, Dwight Brown <stai...@bga.com>
>writes
>>the turducken. A boneless chicken, stuffed inside
>>a boneless duck, with the combination stuffed inside a boneless turkey (and
>>seasoned stuffing layered between the birds).
>
>I heard about a traditional(?) Arab wedding feast which worked in the
>same way, but ended up with a camel as the outermost layer. Anyone
>else heard this?

I believe (m*tt*) it goes: egg > fish > chicken > sheep > camel, or something similar.

--
Eb...@Gate.Net / An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy
Eben King / of being called an idea at all. Oscar Wilde

S.C.Sprong

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

In article <5826cf$n...@wnnews1.netlink.net.nz>,
all...@schools.minedu.govt.nz says...

[re Exploding Turkey, Howto]

>Take one deboned turkey. Cook. Insert balloon almost entire way. Inflate
>balloon - use pump if necessary - and tie off. Complete insertion of
>balloon and use small plug of stuffing as camouflage. Offer unsuspecting
>victim^Whonoured guest opportunity to carve turkey.
>
>Steve "please tell me this isn't feasible
> and I just have an evil mind" Caskey

No, you just have read Kurd Barks's Donald Duck comics at a too tender age.

S"open the bedlam, summon the grey wolves"S

--
"I tell you there are four thousand invisible pink lemmings with green
mohawks waltzing atop your monitor lo this very moment. You are moved

Barbara Mikkelson

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

Larry Kubicz <lku...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I seem to remember reading a newspaper article several years ago that
> said, in effect, there ain't no such animal as a "Cornish game hen".
> It stated that the CGH sold in stores was nothing more than a small
> (immature?) chicken.

Cornish hens (originally marketed as "Rock Cornish game hens") are a cross
between the Plymouth Rock hen (an American bird) and the Cornish or Bantam
rooster. How about for simplicity's sake we just consider them small
chickens?

Barbara "henpecked" Mikkelson
--
Barbara Mikkelson | Does having two borgs in my killfile mean I've
bha...@fas.harvard.edu | been reading AFU too long? - Pieter Breitner

Nancy J. Gill

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

am...@ix.netcom.com (Adam Bradley) wrote:

>To the person who said they had a deboned turkey - how do you debone an >entire turkey without dismembering it first? Seriously - I cannot picture how >this would be done.

Very carefully. You have to chill the bird nearly to the
freezing point, and have a wicked sharp paring or boning
knife. It usually takes a couple hours, as you have to stop
& re-chill the damn thing or risk salmonella poisoning. The
best stuffing is rice (wild or domestic), as it will hold
its shape better. The end result IS spectacular--you can
slice it right down the middle, where the breastbone would
have been, and then crosswise; you get lovely slices of
succulent white meat partially encircling the stuffing. If
you also debone the legs, you get yummy dark meat pockets
packed with stuffing. I have done this twice--I can give
you the instructions, complete with diagrams, if you so
desire.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Kipling, but you don't know
how to use the English language."
San Francisco Examiner
rejection letter to Rudyard Kipling, 1889

Steve Caskey

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

In Article <32a514b0...@news.mindspring.com>
eq...@mindspring.com (M.D.B.) writes:
>On Mon, 02 Dec 96 16:45:24 GMT, am...@ix.netcom.com (Adam Bradley)

>wrote:
>>To the person who said they had a deboned turkey - how do you debone an entire
>>turkey without dismembering it first? Seriously - I cannot picture how this
>>would be done.
>>
>I have absolutely no idea how it was done. All I recall was a flat
>(approximately 5 inches), turkey shaped 'thing' being brought to the
>table. How they food scientists accomplished this culinery miracle
>is beyond me.

Take one deboned turkey. Cook. Insert balloon almost entire way. Inflate

balloon - use pump if necessary - and tie off. Complete insertion of
balloon and use small plug of stuffing as camouflage. Offer unsuspecting
victim^Whonoured guest opportunity to carve turkey.

Steve "please tell me this isn't feasible
and I just have an evil mind" Caskey

P.S. Keep cloth and spray handy for removing grease from walls, windows,
ceiling, spectacles, etc.
--
Just another mindless public servant at the Ministry of Education
"If the Andrews Sisters, the Three Stooges and Vivienne Westwood were

Charles Wm. Dimmick

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

Larry Kubicz wrote:
> Bob Hiebert wrote:
> >jwk...@students.wisc.edu wrote:
> >> I guess Cornish game hens are only used for practical jokes
> >>... has anyone actually bought one to eat?
>
> >They are delicious. No really. And they come in that handy
> > single serving package which eliminates that messy "carving
> >the turkey" fiasco.
>
> I seem to remember reading a newspaper article several years ago
> that said, in effect, there ain't no such animal as a "Cornish
> game hen". It stated that the CGH sold in stores was nothing
> more than a small (immature?) chicken.

Your first statement is incorrect. Your second statement is correct.
Cornish game hens exist, but what you find at the grocery store is
usually the "Rock Cornish Hen" which is a cross between the rather
small Cornish Game bird and the tremendously large White Plymouth
Rock. The hybred has a fantastic growth rate, so that at six weeks
of age they can be slaughtered and processed to give a consumer
product which looks like an adult Cornish Game hen, but which is
much more tender (and in my humble opinion much less tasty). I used
to raise them, and then let them grow to about six months of age,
at which point I carted them en masse to Ziggy, the local processer,
who would return to me the frozen birds for my freezer. They
dressed out at about 9 lbs. at 6 months. I didn't let them get
older than 6 mos. because they had grown so heavy they could no
longer walk without tipping over. Absolutely delicious, almost as
good as capon (of course the Japanese Beetles, dandilions, and
other treats I fed them might have had something to do with the
flavor).

Charles Wm. Dimmick
Former chicken farmer

j...@os2bbs.com

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

In <57v16a$9...@dfw-ixnews3.ix.netcom.com>, am...@ix.netcom.com (Adam Bradley) writes:

>To the person who said they had a deboned turkey - how do you debone an entire
>turkey without dismembering it first? Seriously - I cannot picture how this
>would be done.

Before Thanksgiving there was a front-page article in the Wall Street
Journal about a Louisiana phenomenon called the turducken (or sometimes the
chuckey). It's a deboned chicken inside a deboned duck inside a deboned
turkey. The blend of flavors is said to be wonderful.

The article concluded by describing the ultimate: a deboned Cornish game
hen inside a deboned chicken inside a deboned duck inside a deboned turkey
inside a deboned emu.

In Louisiana Cajun country they are also known to deep-fry a whole turkey
in one piece. (Yes, they empty the cavity first.) It's said not to be
nearly as greasy as you'd expect.

----- John Varela j...@os2bbs.com -----

Michael Schwartz

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

Does anyone remember hering about how the Soviet Union used to blow a
couple of million dollars a year pumping low frequency radio waves into
the United States, on the pretense that it somehow made us crazy?

I heard they stopped during Gorbachov's regime around 1988 or so.
Anyone know anything about this rumor?

-Michael

Bruce Tindall

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

Michael Schwartz <schv...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>Does anyone remember hering about how the Soviet Union used to blow a
>couple of million dollars a year pumping low frequency radio waves into
>the United States, on the pretense that it somehow made us crazy?
>I heard they stopped during Gorbachov's regime around 1988 or so.

It's possible that this is a confused re-telling of the fact
that the USSR was experimenting with over-the-horizon (OTH) radar,
which resulted in so-called "woodpecker" signals all over the
high-frequency spectrum, including international shortwave
broadcast and amateur radio bands. There was much hue and cry
about this in the radio-hobbyist press. As I recall, it did
stop a few years ago, probably during the Gorby years.

Add to this the fact that the US (I don't know about the USSR)
uses very-low-frequency radio signals to communicate with submarines
(or did), I think; and the fact that the USSR reportedly spent
some money on research into ESP and psychic stuff; mix well,
and you get the above story.

--
Bruce Tindall tin...@panix.com

Ted Wong

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

schv...@ix.netcom.com(Michael Schwartz) writes:

|Does anyone remember hering about how the Soviet Union used to blow a
|couple of million dollars a year pumping low frequency radio waves into
|the United States, on the pretense that it somehow made us crazy?

The USSR used to jam Voice-of-America broadcasts into Eastern Europe,
although I seriously doubt it cost millions of roubles to do.

The jamming stopped sometime after the mid 80's.

Ted "but it's still a crazy country we live in" Wong
--
Ted Wong <tw...@isis.com> |DISCLAIMER:
|Isis' opinions are its own,
Isis Distributed Systems |and do not necessarily reflect
Ithaca, New York |mine.

Sander Post u

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

Bill Longley (Bill_L...@callahans.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: I heard about a traditional(?) Arab wedding feast which worked in the

: same way, but ended up with a camel as the outermost layer. Anyone
: else heard this?

Strangely enough, yes. And I can provide a cite, by way of wierd
coincidence. Was digging through the old mess, err, room on the weekend,
came across a copy of the 1987 Guinness book of world records, which had
this tidbit somewhere in the food section while I browsed through it.

Cheers,

Sander.

Paul Tomblin

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

In a previous article, schv...@ix.netcom.com(Michael Schwartz) said:
>Does anyone remember hering about how the Soviet Union used to blow a
>couple of million dollars a year pumping low frequency radio waves into
>the United States, on the pretense that it somehow made us crazy?
>
>I heard they stopped during Gorbachov's regime around 1988 or so.
>Anyone know anything about this rumor?

Sorry, no cites, but I believe the low frequency waves were actually an "over
the horizon" radar. I'm not sure if it was theirs or the Australians that was
called "Woodpecker" for the sound it made on radios tuned to the appropriate
frequency.

--
Paul Tomblin, PP-ASEL _|_ Rochester Flying Club web page:
____/___\____ http://www.servtech.com/public/

reg...@erols.com

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

ptom...@compass.xcski.com (Paul Tomblin) wrote:

This thread made me laugh and even brought back some memories. I
remember during the mid 80's I was stationed in what was West Germany
and there was an article on this topic in the Stars and Stripes. It
decribed a program the Soviet Evil Empire came up with to gain some
advantage in a possible war with the NATO countries. Knowing that
U.S. troops have this thing for "Military Image" while in uniform,
they sent these high energy radio waves across the border that would
soften the shoe polish on our boots, leading to scuff marks and the
sort. The theory was that if we were spending all our time shining
our boots, we wouldn't be prepared for a surprise attack from the
east. I have no idea if it's true, but I laughed then, and 10 years
later, still do.

Bob

QUICK JASON STEWART

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

j...@os2bbs.com wrote:
: In Louisiana Cajun country they are also known to deep-fry a whole turkey
: in one piece. (Yes, they empty the cavity first.) It's said not to be
: nearly as greasy as you'd expect.
:

Yeah, Martha Stewart did this on her Thanksgiving special with a rather
large (~20-lb) bird...evidently the hot oil (about 15 gallons of it)
sears the bird's flesh inside and out, sealing the juices in. The
deep-frying process takes less time than traditional roasting (IIRC it
took about 1.5 hours), and the finished product is *very* nice.

Jason, who wonders if you could also deep-fry a chicken...
jqu...@s-cwis.unomaha.edu

ins...@super.zippo.com

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

all...@schools.minedu.govt.nz (Steve Caskey) wrote:

> Take one deboned turkey. Cook. Insert balloon almost entire way. Inflate
> balloon - use pump if necessary - and tie off. Complete insertion of
> balloon and use small plug of stuffing as camouflage. Offer unsuspecting
> victim^Whonoured guest opportunity to carve turkey.
>
> Steve "please tell me this isn't feasible
> and I just have an evil mind" Caskey

Feasible? Probably.

But as someone who delighted in elaborate practical jokes as a
youth, I feel obligated to warn you that you better have an alternate
entree. Baked rubber has the potential for imparting a hideous taste
and aroma. Try to find some alternative material for the 'balloon' or
no one may come close enough to it to activate the prank.

Hugh Gibbons

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

I think extreme low frequency radio waves are used to send messages
to submarines, because they penetrate deeper into the ocean than
higher frequencies. It takes a great deal of power, though, and the
transmitting antennas have to be very large.

Alan Bostick

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

In article <E1wtv...@xcski.com>,
ptom...@compass.xcski.com (Paul Tomblin) wrote:

> Sorry, no cites, but I believe the low frequency waves were actually an "over
> the horizon" radar. I'm not sure if it was theirs or the Australians that was
> called "Woodpecker" for the sound it made on radios tuned to the appropriate
> frequency.

This doesn't qualify as fact, but hearsay: When I was a student, the
electrical engineer working in our lab called the woodpecker signal the
"Russian Woodpecker".

Alan "He wasn't a friend of a friend, though, he was, simply,
a friend" Bostick

--
Alan Bostick | I'm not cheating; I'm *winning*!
mailto:abos...@netcom.com | Emma Michael Notkin

Joe Quellen

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

Yes. Water is translucent at very low frequencies, as well as at visible
light frequencies. The bandwidth is very low, and the idea was to instruct
a submarine to surface for further instructions at a higher frequency. I
recall that a western state (Wyoming?) was slated to have a VLF antenna array,
very high power, many miles long, buried (but not grounded). There was
environmental opposition, and one of the objections was that the frequencies
involved are the same as brain-wave frequencies and that some people could be
affected adversely.

- JQ

Paul Ciszek

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

Hugh Gibbons <1033...@CompuServe.COM> writes:

>I think extreme low frequency radio waves are used to send messages
>to submarines, because they penetrate deeper into the ocean than
>higher frequencies. It takes a great deal of power, though, and the
>transmitting antennas have to be very large.

The US government also has some audio-frequency transmitters operating on
land. A friend was demonstrating a radio rig that converted EM signals
directly to audio without any sort of demodulation; he claimed the
transmitters were used for navigation of some sort.

There are lots of cool-sounding natural audio-frequency radio sources
as well.

Chris Goodey

Dec 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/7/96

On 4 Dec 1996 18:49:23 GMT, schv...@ix.netcom.com(Michael Schwartz)
wrote:

>Does anyone remember hering about how the Soviet Union used to blow a
>couple of million dollars a year pumping low frequency radio waves into
>the United States, on the pretense that it somehow made us crazy?
>
>I heard they stopped during Gorbachov's regime around 1988 or so.
>Anyone know anything about this rumor?
>

>-Michael

My feeble memory recalls something about an over-the-horizon radar that
messed up some ham radio frequencies with an annoying beat. Probably
drove them crazy. I also seem to recall some truth about RFI in certain
frequencies causing measureable changes to the brain. But I have been
working too hard.
Chris A. Goodey (ch...@quickquote.com)
Software Engineer Incline Village, Nevada

Voice 702/831-2404 Fax 702/831-8386

William Kiernan

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

Michael Schwartz wrote:

> Does anyone remember hering about how the Soviet Union used to blow a
> couple of million dollars a year pumping low frequency radio waves into
> the United States, on the pretense that it somehow made us crazy?
>
> I heard they stopped during Gorbachov's regime around 1988 or so.
> Anyone know anything about this rumor?
>
> -Michael

Yes. It worked. Having finally and conclusively won the Cold War by
driving us all mad, the Soviet Union had achieved its goal, and it
disbanded.

---------------------------------------
| And then they let Chernobyl blow up, because they were so bored
| and demoralized, they just didn't care about anything any more.
| WKie...@concentric.net
|-------------------------------

Ted Frank

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

In article <584qr1$9...@panix3.panix.com>,

Bruce Tindall <tin...@panix.com> wrote:
>Add to this the fact that the US (I don't know about the USSR)
>uses very-low-frequency radio signals to communicate with submarines
>(or did), I think; and the fact that the USSR reportedly spent
>some money on research into ESP and psychic stuff; mix well,
>and you get the above story.

The USSR wasn't the only one wasting money on ESP/psychic stuff, given
recent CIA disclosures. Also, Senator Claiborne Pell was notorious for
calling brass onto the carpet and complaining about the psychic gap with
the USSR.

I recently saw a case in your neck of the woods where a plaintiff
convinced a jury that low-frequency radio signals caused his car to
lurch into a restaurant after he had had several glasses of wine,
and it was the car company's fault for not wrapping the cruise control
wiring in alumnium foil or whatever it is one does to protect an
automobile from submarine communications.
--
Cylon #1: "That was an unexpected maneuver." |m...@radix.net
Cylon #2: "He is a very good warrior." |

David Lesher

Dec 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/9/96

A) The Woodpecker aka over-the-horizon radar was not "Low Frequency"
by most definitions. It was in the 14mhz region as I recall.
It incurred LOTS of gripes from amateur radio operators.

B) The ELF system to pass traffic to subs was bumped around over
the years. There was an island with harbour somewhere in the
Rainbelt out where Len lives that had the right geography so that
the land/water could be used as the antenna array. It was used for
tests.

Later, the Navy wanted to use large tracts in the Upper Peninsula of
Michigan for the transmitter. There was intense local opposition.
Project Sanguine comes to mind but I'm not sure -- there were name
changes along the way. I've no idea how much was built before the
Cold War ended.

Oh, and the ELF did not tell subs to surface. The subs would never
do that & reveal position. They instead would rise to a depth such
that they could exchange laser traffic with a satellite, float a
antenna that could hear shore stations, or use another means.

j...@os2bbs.com

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

In <AEDA62EA9...@ehrice.his.com>, ehr...@his.com (Edward Rice) writes:
>In article <57q7uo$8...@urchin.bga.com>,
>stai...@bga.com (Dwight Brown) wrote:
>
> > In a distantly related note, the Wednesday (11/27) *Wall Street Journal*
>had
> > an article about something that's currently popular in Lousiana, but
> > spreading across the U.S.: the turducken...
>
>It's a galatine, and a fairly old dish. Escoffier describes it in detail.

According to the Random House unabridged a galatine (or galantine) is a
deboned fowl wrapped in its own skin and aspic. Not at all the same thing
as a turducken, which is a deboned chicken inside a deboned duck inside
a deboned turkey.

>It's quite good, and demeans it to give it a "pop" name like turducken.

I agree about turducken, especially that first syllable. I would stick
with chuckey. Much more dignified.

Edward Rice

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

In article <57q7uo$8...@urchin.bga.com>,
stai...@bga.com (Dwight Brown) wrote:

> In a distantly related note, the Wednesday (11/27) *Wall Street Journal*
had
> an article about something that's currently popular in Lousiana, but
> spreading across the U.S.: the turducken...

It's a galatine, and a fairly old dish. Escoffier describes it in detail.

Tony Lima

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

Edward Rice <ehr...@his.com> wrote:

ER> In article <57q7uo$8...@urchin.bga.com>,
ER> stai...@bga.com (Dwight Brown) wrote:

ER> > In a distantly related note, the Wednesday (11/27) *Wall Street Journal*
ER> had
ER> > an article about something that's currently popular in Lousiana, but
ER> > spreading across the U.S.: the turducken...

ER> It's a galatine, and a fairly old dish. Escoffier describes it in detail.
ER> It's quite good, and demeans it to give it a "pop" name like turducken.

What's an "ucken?" - Tony "already understands first
ingredient" Lima

* RM 1.31 2547 *

Internet: tony...@toadhall.com (Tony Lima)

TJ

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

Tony Lima wrote:

> Edward Rice <ehr...@his.com> wrote:
>
> ER> In article <57q7uo$8...@urchin.bga.com>,
> ER> stai...@bga.com (Dwight Brown) wrote:
>
> ER> > In a distantly related note, the Wednesday (11/27) *Wall Street Journal*
> ER> had
> ER> > an article about something that's currently popular in Lousiana, but
> ER> > spreading across the U.S.: the turducken...
>
> ER> It's a galatine, and a fairly old dish. Escoffier describes it in detail.
> ER> It's quite good, and demeans it to give it a "pop" name like turducken.
>
> What's an "ucken?" - Tony "already understands first
> ingredient" Lima

a chicken stuffed in a duck stuffed in a turkey and baked.

--t "TGIV..thank god I'm vegetarian" j

Steve Irwin

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

In article <73.159...@toadhall.com>,

tony...@toadhall.com (Tony Lima) wrote:
>Edward Rice <ehr...@his.com> wrote:
>
>ER> In article <57q7uo$8...@urchin.bga.com>,
>ER> stai...@bga.com (Dwight Brown) wrote:
>
>ER> > In a distantly related note, the Wednesday (11/27) *Wall Street Journal*
>ER> had
>ER> > an article about something that's currently popular in Lousiana, but
>ER> > spreading across the U.S.: the turducken...
>
>ER> It's a galatine, and a fairly old dish. Escoffier describes it in detail.
>ER> It's quite good, and demeans it to give it a "pop" name like turducken.
>
>What's an "ucken?" - Tony "already understands first
>ingredient" Lima
>
> * RM 1.31 2547 *

According to the WSJ, turducken is a de-boned turkey stuffed with a de-boned
duck stuffed with a de-boned chicken stuffed with spicy stuffing.

Dave MacPheat

Dec 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/20/96

que...@azstarnet.com (Joe Quellen) wrote:

>In article <58811t$1kl$1...@mhafc.production.compuserve.com> Hugh Gibbons <1033...@CompuServe.COM> writes:

>>I think extreme low frequency radio waves are used to send messages
>>to submarines, because they penetrate deeper into the ocean than
>>higher frequencies. It takes a great deal of power, though, and the
>>transmitting antennas have to be very large.

>Yes. Water is translucent at very low frequencies, as well as at visible

>light frequencies. The bandwidth is very low, and the idea was to instruct
>a submarine to surface for further instructions at a higher frequency. I
>recall that a western state (Wyoming?) was slated to have a VLF antenna array,
>very high power, many miles long, buried (but not grounded). There was
>environmental opposition, and one of the objections was that the frequencies
>involved are the same as brain-wave frequencies and that some people could be
>affected adversely.

> - JQ

I seem to remember that years ago there was a plan to bury a loop
antennathat was several hundred miles in diameter in the state of
Wisconsin. This was supposedly for the purpose of military
communications with submerged subs. The operating frequency of the
transmissions was somewhere in the area of 150 kHz (VLF). I cannot
remember if it was voice, cw, or rtty. I have, on occasion, listened
around that frequency, but have not heard anything, except noise.

Dave

Dave's Gem Number 124

Don't get married if you are afraid of solitude.

Nick Spalding

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96

> I seem to remember that years ago there was a plan to bury a loop
> antennathat was several hundred miles in diameter in the state of
> Wisconsin. This was supposedly for the purpose of military
> communications with submerged subs. The operating frequency of the
> transmissions was somewhere in the area of 150 kHz (VLF). I cannot
> remember if it was voice, cw, or rtty. I have, on occasion, listened
> around that frequency, but have not heard anything, except noise.

Much lower than 150kHz. That is just at the lower end of the Long
Wave broadcast band which is still used in Europe, I don't know about
anywhere else. The frequencies used for communicating with subs are
only just above the highest frequency you can hear - around 20kc.
That is why the antennae have to be so big - the wavelength is around
15km.
--
Nick Spalding

Stefano Cirolini

Dec 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/23/96

Dave MacPheat wrote:

> I seem to remember that years ago there was a plan to bury a loop
> antennathat was several hundred miles in diameter in the state of
> Wisconsin. This was supposedly for the purpose of military
> communications with submerged subs. The operating frequency of the
> transmissions was somewhere in the area of 150 kHz (VLF). I cannot
> remember if it was voice, cw, or rtty. I have, on occasion, listened
> around that frequency, but have not heard anything, except noise.

Very well encripted, eh?

--
Stefano Cirolini | >> MELINDA MIGLIORA LE MELE <<
ciro...@sodalia.sodalia.it | (le buone mele della Val di Non)

.
.
.