30 Days to Darker Hair?

1 view

MX...@psuvm.psu.edu

May 30, 1991, 2:24:32 PM5/30/91
If you make condoms from the stuff, does it turn pubic hair darker? Does
this only work if you use the jumbo economy size?

Legendary minds WANT TO KNOW!

Mostly THE BEAR

aka MXL4@PSUVM <Mark Lafer> () ()
o . o
Not a By-product of Any Technology! xxx

Terry Chan

May 30, 1991, 1:09:17 PM5/30/91

I heard the other day that eating seaweed will turn your hair darker
(if it's black, it'll supposedly make it seem even 'blacker', presumably
this means shinier). Lest some of you say 'how the hell do you eat that
much seaweed to begin with?' I'll say that I heard this was a very common
belief in Japan where they use commonly use seaweed in cooking (e.g.,
wrapping maki sushi, crushed as a condiment on rice, etc., etc.).

Anybody heard anything similar or be willing to conjecture why?

Terry "My hair is already black and shiny" Chan
INTERNET: twc...@lbl.gov BITNET: twc...@lbl.bitnet
"I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I
generalize, I don't care." -- Dave Barry

Jim Ogle (Ks. Jim)

May 31, 1991, 3:23:01 AM5/31/91
In article <91150.14...@psuvm.psu.edu> MX...@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>If you make condoms from the stuff, does it turn pubic hair darker? Does
>this only work if you use the jumbo economy size?

Well, with all the current fuss about latex allergies in the news,
maybe seaweed condoms are the wave of the future! Everyone can have
dark pubic hair! And they'd be edible! (The condoms, not the pubic
hair. 8-) )
--
"Coming to you direct from the largest synchronicity hole in the universe,
Socorro, New Mexico, its..."

John N Lutz

May 31, 1991, 1:32:34 PM5/31/91
Terry (the Chan version) sez:

>I heard the other day that eating seaweed will turn your hair darker
>(if it's black, it'll supposedly make it seem even 'blacker', presumably
>this means shinier). Lest some of you say 'how the hell do you eat that
>much seaweed to begin with?'

I am not sure about the black and shiny part but supposedly a large
portion of the filler in the new "McLean"[tm] burger at Mickey D's is
derived from seaweed. I don't have the articles on hand to give the
exact name for the filler, but I a fairly certain of the "this burger
tastes fishy because it's made from seaweed" part.

>Terry "My hair is already black and shiny" Chan

John "mmm, mmm, McGood[tm]" Lutz
--
John Lutz University Anesthesiology
j...@unix.cis.pitt.edu 3471 5th Ave. Suite 910

Stephen Webb

Jun 3, 1991, 4:54:51 PM6/3/91
In article <134...@unix.cis.pitt.edu> (John N Lutz) writes:

>I am not sure about the black and shiny part but supposedly a large
>portion of the filler in the new "McLean"[tm] burger at Mickey D's is
>derived from seaweed. I don't have the articles on hand to give the
>exact name for the filler, but I a fairly certain of the "this burger
>tastes fishy because it's made from seaweed" part.

The filler is carageenan, made from Irish Moss, the very same foodstuff
you eat in ice cream, yoghurt, sour cream, salad dressings, chocolate milk,
and thousands of other commercially prepared products. Carageenan is a
tasteless, clear gum. It does not taste fishy or salty, although how
Americans can taste anything fishy under all that salt and grease they add to
all their food is beyond me.

-------
Stephen M. Webb
>> "Things are very confusing right now."

John N Lutz

Jun 5, 1991, 8:29:40 AM6/5/91
Expires:

Steve writes:
that I write:
me>I am not sure about the black and shiny part but supposedly a large
me>portion of the filler in the new "McLean"[tm] burger at Mickey D's is
me>derived from seaweed. I don't have the articles on hand to give the
me>exact name for the filler, but I a fairly certain of the "this burger
me>tastes fishy because it's made from seaweed" part.

he> The filler is carageenan
Thanks, that's it!!
he>... It does not taste fishy or salty, although how Americans can
he>taste anything fishy under all that salt and grease they add to
he>all their food is beyond me.

he>Stephen M. Webb

I did not add the smiley's for the humor impaired, because I thought
that the joke was obvious, OF COURSE you can't taste fish in
hamburgers! It would ruin the taste of the 'roo!

John "Goin' to have O fries and a chili dog for breakfast" Lutz

Duke McMullan n5gax

Jun 5, 1991, 3:08:41 PM6/5/91
In article <1991Jun03.2...@tsltor.uucp> ste...@raven.uucp
(Stephen Webb) writes:

> although how
>Americans can taste anything fishy under all that salt and grease they add to
>all their food is beyond me.

Add? I thought the damn stuff was _cooked_ that way....

Many people I know like Wendy's hamburgers. I think they'd be OK if you'd
run `em through an old-fashioned wringer first. They'd only weigh about half
as much, but that missing one-half would be just about entirely grease!

Three times, in three different locations, I've tried Wendy's hamburgers.

Three times, I became nauseated. BURGER KING FOREVER!!!!!

No, I have no affiliation with B.K. I just like their burgers.

Enough on burgers. I'm getting hungry, so I'm going upstairs and prepare a
pot of chili. Now, _that's_ food....

Larry Smith

Jun 7, 1991, 9:23:01 AM6/7/91
In article <1991Jun6.1...@dg-rtp.dg.com> coc...@spam.rtp.dg.com (Dave Cochran) writes:
>Sorry, these are awful, too. True, they're not as greasy, but the paper
>wrappers taste better than the burgers do.

It really depends on the individual restaurant - our local BK puts too
much mustard on their wrappers, and the burger is better. McD's is just
the opposite. But Wendy's wrappers are delicious every time - greasy,
but good.

;) ;) ;)

--

Larry Smith
sm...@ctron.com

Dave Cochran

Jun 6, 1991, 7:39:06 AM6/6/91
In article <1991Jun05.1...@ariel.unm.edu>, ee53...@triton.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) writes:

|> Many people I know like Wendy's hamburgers. I think they'd be OK if you'd
|> run `em through an old-fashioned wringer first. They'd only weigh about half
|> as much, but that missing one-half would be just about entirely grease!
|>
|> Three times, in three different locations, I've tried Wendy's hamburgers.

Yep. I've never understood why the American people buy that "Hot and Juicy"
add campaign that went on for years. Listen up, folks: Hamburger "juice" is
GREASE. I guess that "Hot and Greasy" just doesn't fall as gently on the ears.

|> Three times, I became nauseated. BURGER KING FOREVER!!!!!
|>
|> No, I have no affiliation with B.K. I just like their burgers.

Sorry, these are awful, too. True, they're not as greasy, but the paper

wrappers taste better than the burgers do.

|Dave Cochran (coc...@spam.rtp.dg.com) |
|Data General Corporation, Research Triangle Park, NC |
|Just suppose there were no hypothetical situations... |

OBSCURED BY CLOUDS

Jun 9, 1991, 3:34:21 AM6/9/91
coc...@spam.rtp.dg.com (Dave Cochran) writes:
>|> Three times, I became nauseated. BURGER KING FOREVER!!!!!
>|> No, I have no affiliation with B.K. I just like their burgers.
>Sorry, these are awful, too. True, they're not as greasy, but the paper
>wrappers taste better than the burgers do.

I tried BK hamburgers once. Only once.

I bought two, ate half of one and quickly became sick.

Stick with McDLT's. :)

--
Alexander Feygin _____________________________ And everything under
University of Illinois / The probability of someone \ the sun is in tune

J. Robert Neely

Jun 13, 1991, 1:27:39 PM6/13/91

>>Sorry, these are awful, too. True, they're not as greasy, but the paper
>>wrappers taste better than the burgers do.

When I used to work at McDonald's, my manager told me that those black lines on
BK's hamburger patties really aren't from the grill, but that they're strips of
grizzle built into the raw patty that turn black faster than the rest of the "meat"
when cooked.

He also said that at Wendy's the reason that the burger's were always "hot off the
grill" was because after they got done cooking them - they'd slap 'em on a low
temperature grill (~200 degrees) and let 'em sit there until somebody bought 'em.
And apparently there was no official time limit as to how long they could sit there
and fry.

Anybody ever work at these places that would care to elaborate (and/or defend) ?

Rob

PS - Tip for those of you that haven't had the most fortunate opportunity to
work at McDonald's. Did you ever wonder what those numbers behind the food
in the bin means? It means that when the big hand on the clock gets to that number
that the food is s'pose to be chucked (it's 10 or 15 minutes old). If you see
your friendly dope-addict counter person reaching for an old burger - you can point
it out to him (or her), and they'll get you a fresher one (sometimes).
I think the same basic time system is used at BK, too - but they mark the number
on the box.

Adam J Felson

Jun 14, 1991, 7:43:05 PM6/14/91
In article <1991Jun13....@mcs.anl.gov>, ne...@mcs.anl.gov (J. Robert Neely) writes:
#>>|> Three times, I became nauseated. BURGER KING FOREVER!!!!!
#>>|> No, I have no affiliation with B.K. I just like their burgers.
#>>Sorry, these are awful, too. True, they're not as greasy, but the paper
#>>wrappers taste better than the burgers do.
#
#
#
[...]

well... I worked at a wendy's for all of two weeks... When a burger didn't get
bought when it was ready, it was tossed into a bucket to be used for the chilli.

Mr.Scary

Jun 15, 1991, 3:41:53 PM6/15/91
ne...@mcs.anl.gov (J. Robert Neely) writes:

>grill" was because after they got done cooking them - they'd slap 'em on a low
>temperature grill (~200 degrees) and let 'em sit there until somebody bought 'em.
>And apparently there was no official time limit as to how long they could sit there
>and fry.

>Anybody ever work at these places that would care to elaborate (and/or defend) ?

I don't work at any fast-food places, but Hungry Jacks regularly microwave
their food to re-heat it to and 'acceptable' temperature. This makes for really
disgusting rubber burgers and fries. Yummmeee. I also love how the tomatoes they
use are usually green with a slight reddish tinge.

>Rob

Mr.Scary
----------------------------
s89...@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au

Joseph C Wang

Jun 16, 1991, 12:55:01 PM6/16/91
Since we're talking about fast food, I was wondering how American fast food
gets "translated" around the world.

In Taiwan, the hamburgers (in McDonalds, Burger King) are served with
green tomatoes, never with cheese, and cost about US$2.00. The pizza
at Pizza Hut has a really thin, oily crust, sweet sticky cheese, and no
tomato sauce.

At the local 7-11 you can get frozen rice dumplings to stick in the
microwave.

What's funny is that the little McDonald ketchup and mustard packets
are exactly the same as the ones served in the U.S. It seems that
there's one factory somewhere in the U.S. that packages ketchup for
McD's all around the world.

Joseph Wang (j...@athena.mit.edu) Wake Up! Wake Up!
450 Memorial Drive C-111 All who wish not to be slaves.
Cambridge, MA 02139

Allan Perry

Jun 17, 1991, 8:38:41 AM6/17/91
Duke McMullan writes:
>Three times, in three different locations, I've tried Wendy's hamburgers.
>
>Three times, I became nauseated. BURGER KING FOREVER!!!!!
>
>No, I have no affiliation with B.K. I just like their burgers.

You have totally discredited yourself. Burger King?!?! Grow some taste
buds. You should particularly ashamed because you are in Albuquerque
and the best burgers in the world are there at the Owl (even if the
original Owl in San Antonio, NM has better atmosphere).

But, since I walked in the middle of this, I don't know what this is doing
in rec.humor or alt.folklore.urban, so . . .

humor:

Picture two rocks, sinking to the bottom of the water. One rock is
labelled "Burroughs", the other labelled "Sperry". The "Burroughs" rock,
holding a piece of rope, says "Maybe if we tie ourselves together,
we'll float."

It was much funnier when I was working at Burroughs/Unisys, just after
the merger.

folklore:

Ever couple of years, I hear a story about the FCC or someone wanting to
slap a modem fee on telephone bills. Some people get all worked, then
someone comes out and says that the FCC is not considering it. What's
the deal here and why does it keep coming back to life?

Anyway . . .

alan perry
...uunet!mcsun!unido!sinix!allan

the dark girl

Jun 17, 1991, 1:52:57 AM6/17/91
somebody writes:
>#He also said that at Wendy's the reason that the burger's were always "hot off the
>#grill" was because after they got done cooking them - they'd slap 'em on a low
>#temperature grill (~200 degrees) and let 'em sit there until somebody bought 'em.
>#And apparently there was no official time limit as to how long they could sit there
>#and fry.
>#
>#Anybody ever work at these places that would care to elaborate (and/or defend) ?

i worked at a Hardee's for six months or so; our burgers
really were hot off the broiler, they really were flame-
broiled, and if the wrapped burger sat for more than an
hour, it had to be thrown away, but was usually devoured
by employees instead. however, the fried chicken patty
has an astonishing number of chemical additives.

Hardee's seems to be one of the least offensive fast food
places, in my opinion; i used to make salads and biscuits,
and they were all real food. the biscuit recipe was something
like 5 lbs flour, 1 lb shortening, a half gallon of buttermilk,
and a cup of a mixture of salt and baking powder/soda (i forget
which).

the shakes contained no milk, though; at least not in '86.

gypsy
--
gypsy@popeet!c3.com women and elephants never forget

Steven Bellovin

Jun 17, 1991, 10:46:05 AM6/17/91
In article <1991Jun17.1...@sinix.UUCP>, al...@sinix.UUCP (Allan Perry) writes:
> folklore:
>
> Ever couple of years, I hear a story about the FCC or someone wanting to
> slap a modem fee on telephone bills. Some people get all worked, then
> someone comes out and says that the FCC is not considering it. What's
> the deal here and why does it keep coming back to life?

The story? Craig Shergold is an FCC commissioner...

Seriously, a few years ago, the FCC was considering an extra fee for
some -- possibly all -- users of modems. In response to widespread
protests, they dropped the idea. A secondary contributor to the legend
was an effort by one of the Bell Operating Companies -- Southwest Bell,
I believe -- to automatically classify any line with a modem, including
home BBS systems, as a business line. Those are much more expensive,
of course.

Duke McMullan n5gax

Jun 20, 1991, 1:08:15 PM6/20/91

(Allan Perry) writes:
>Duke McMullan writes:
>>Three times, in three different locations, I've tried Wendy's hamburgers.

>>Three times, I became nauseated. BURGER KING FOREVER!!!!!

>>No, I have no affiliation with B.K. I just like their burgers.

>You have totally discredited yourself. Burger King?!?! Grow some taste
>buds. You should particularly ashamed because you are in Albuquerque
>and the best burgers in the world are there at the Owl (even if the
>original Owl in San Antonio, NM has better atmosphere).

I discredit myself on a daily, but irregular, basis.

The Green Chili Cheeseburgers at the Awl (the Albuquerque Owl) are not, repeat,
NOT as good as the ones from the Oowl (the Original Owl B&G) in San Antonio.

They're not bad, though. A wee bit more expensive than the Booger King, how-
someever. Also, there's a BK less than a mile from my house. The Awl is over
four miles from here.

The Owl's burger rep has calmed down these days to something reasonable. Back
in the late `70's, I recall friends of mine driving from ABQ to San Antonio
(that's San Antonio, NEW MEXICO, folks) two or even three times a week for a
cultburger. Eighty-seven miles for a burger, however good, struck me as a bit
less than reasonable. Still, you know how college students are....

The Oowl burgers are as good as ever, but they never were _that_ good. As
for atmosphere, yeah, they've got more in S.A. than in ABQ. That's not saying
much....

I suspect that the presence of the Awl has a lot to do with the slightly less
exaggerated reputation of the Owl GCCBurgers...it's _easy_ to drive over to
the Awl and chow down, whereas San Antonio is an hour and twenty minutes away.

The _best_ hamburgers in town, of course, are the ones _I_ make.

Leslie Hechtel

Jun 30, 1991, 6:24:19 PM6/30/91
In article <1991Jun26....@ultra.com> ma...@ultra.com (Marty Lyons) writes:

>>!> [A bunch of rambling deleted...]

>>Any relation to the Epstein on "Welcome back, Kotter"? Just curious...
>>(BTW, That was a great show!!)
>
>The guy who played Epstein was Robert Hegges (sp?), and he's from
>Metuchen, N.J., a borough about 3 square miles, completely surrounded
>by Edison Township (my hometown).
>
>By the way, the same guy (Robert) played a small part on Cagney and Lacey
>(the detective show on CBS a few years ago).
>Marty Lyons, Ultra Network Technologies, 101 Daggett Dr, San Jose, CA 95134 USA

Wasn't he in Hill Street Blues? Played the leader of a gang, I think?

--
Leslie M. Hechtel
Dept. of Meteorology