Nacho Cheese??

1 view

Andrew Gore

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

Just what the'ell IS Nacho cheese, anyway? I always assumed 'nachos' were
tortilla corn chips with salsa, melted cheese, and Mexican spices to give it a
Mexican taste. Now you can buy 'Nacho' cheese in the store. I don't think
there's any such thing. I suspect it's just good old American cheese tricked
out with Mexican spices to make it tasty for homemade Nachos. Does "nacho'
mean anything in Mexican, anyway?

"Why can't we just have some good old American food tonight, like pizza or
burritos?" - Homer Simpson

TMO/TX

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

--
Si; nachos were named for the famed Mexican torero Claudio Juan Pablo
Jesus y Maria "Nacho" Sinhuevos-Pendejo who, during the celebration of

On this occasion, peons down in the handling chutes, hostile toward
Nacho's batting from the left side of the plate, an insult to the
Mexican macho tradition, loosed a 2000 pound ornery Miura toro instead
of the smaller easier bull arranged for Nacho's frontline professional
debut. The giant Miura, exited to a peak of libidinous frenzy by the
wafting aroma of a nearby feedlot full of freshening heifers, proceeded
out of the chute, across the ring, through and over the barricade and to
a sudden stop stuck in the velvet hangings of the alcalde's luxury box
(where the gobernador of Tamaulipas was receiving an under-the-blanket
hand job from the typist-admin assistant on his staff, Leticia Lucrecia
Panoche, formerly the featured entertainer at the Blue Parrot Club in
shady Sabinas Hidalgo).

En route, the bull's two horns and four cloven hoofs passed through and
over Nacho and his light orange outfit, leaving a mingled heap of
velveeta cloth and bloody red-splashed innards on the tortilla
chip-colored sand of the arena.

Chefs at both Mrs. Crosby's well known restaurant in Acuna and the
Cadillac Bar downstream in Nuevo Laredo developed a dish designed to
resemble the carnage in the bullring by the next weekend, and Kraft
converted a former wallpaper paste factory to the production of a new
product to meet the growing demand for Velveeta. Within a month, the
chef at Mrs. Crosby's, Flaco Cojones de Oro, resigned to begin
manufacturing a new sauce, resembling the liquid remains of Nacho,
necessary for the proper constrct of the dish. Flaco called the sauce
"picante" in honor of the gobernador's colorful description of the
arrival of a large toro in your box accompanied by simultaneous orgasm.
The new company was bought out by Pace and is now part of the Campbell
Soup empire.

--

el pelon sinverguenza/T. Oliver/swr...@iamerica.net

- - - -
DE PROFVNDIS EVOCATVS - - - -

Sean Cloherty

Andrew Rogers

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

Andrew Gore wrote:
> Just what the'ell IS Nacho cheese, anyway? I always assumed 'nachos' were
> tortilla corn chips with salsa, melted cheese, and Mexican spices to give it a
> Mexican taste.

This sounds suspiciously like a troll, but what the hell...

The first recipes that I saw for nachos (late 60s/early 70s) were
all pretty much the same thing: tortilla chips with a jalapeno
slice, topped with cheese, and broiled. Elegant in their simplicity,
and IMHO preferable to the ubiquitous "tortilla chips covered with
generic pseudo-Mexican glop" bar food staple.

> Now you can buy 'Nacho' cheese in the store.

It's been around for at least 20 years - probably as long as "nacho"
flavored Doritos. Neither of which tastes anything like a nacho, of
course.

> Does "nacho' mean anything in Mexican, anyway?

This is what makes me suspect a troll - it reminds me of Lenny Bruce's
line, "Say something dirty in Jewish".

But, for the record, Mexican Spanish - particularly as spoken near
the US border - has diverged considerably from Catalan Spanish.
What's-his-name, in _Nine Nations of North America_, cited a sign
on a used car lot: "Compremos y vendremos carros y truckos" ("We
buy and sell cars and trucks"), which I doubt you would see in
Barcelona or Madrid.

Andrew

TradMan

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

> di...@primenet.comXX (Andrew Gore) wrote:
>
> Just what the'ell IS Nacho cheese, anyway? I always assumed
> 'nachos' were
> tortilla corn chips with salsa, melted cheese, and Mexican spices to
> give it a
> Mexican taste. Now you can buy 'Nacho' cheese in the store. I don't
> think
> there's any such thing. I suspect it's just good old American cheese
> tricked
> out with Mexican spices to make it tasty for homemade Nachos. Does

> "nacho'
> mean anything in Mexican, anyway?

It really was invented in NYC. Some guy picked up a chunk of cheese
belonging to someone else and another guy yelled, "Hey, That's nachos!"

^(That is information)^

TradMan

Charles Lieberman

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

In <5bm7ko$6...@news.umbc.edu> did Rich Rubel (rru...@umbc.edu) decree:

> Old Mad Magazine "Ligher Side of..." where the father tells the menu -
> something like french bread, caesar salad, pizza, hamburgers, etc cooked
> on a Japanese hibachi. The occasion? American Independence Day...

As Dave Berg is surely aware, salad is not generally hibachied.

--
Charles A. Lieberman http://members.tripod.com/~calieber/index.htm
Brooklyn, New York, USA

Glenn Kurtzrock

Jan 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/18/97

Andrew Gore wrote:

> Just what the'ell IS Nacho cheese, anyway? I always assumed 'nachos' were
> tortilla corn chips with salsa, melted cheese, and Mexican spices to give it a
> Mexican taste. Now you can buy 'Nacho' cheese in the store. I don't think
> there's any such thing. I suspect it's just good old American cheese tricked
> out with Mexican spices to make it tasty for homemade Nachos. Does "nacho'
> mean anything in Mexican, anyway?

It's slang English for "Not your".

--
Glenn Kurtzrock gle...@pegasus.rutgers.edu
Rutgers School of Law 2L http://www.cascade.net/~sunspot

Rich Rubel

Jan 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/18/97

Charles Lieberman (cali...@bu.edu) wrote:
: > Old Mad Magazine "Ligher Side of..." where the father tells the menu -

: > something like french bread, caesar salad, pizza, hamburgers, etc cooked
: > on a Japanese hibachi. The occasion? American Independence Day...

: As Dave Berg is surely aware, salad is not generally hibachied.

Awww... gimme a break. I was paraphrasing something I read years ago.
Sheesh :-) Some people.

Rich "do you spell pedantic with ONE jerk, or two?" Rubel

--
+--------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Rich Rubel | Happiness is an AWD Subaru! |

Jim (boywundr)

Jan 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/19/97

> Andrew Gore wrote:
> >
> > Just what the'ell IS Nacho cheese, anyway? I always assumed 'nachos' were
> > tortilla corn chips with salsa, melted cheese, and Mexican spices to give it a
> > Mexican taste. Now you can buy 'Nacho' cheese in the store. I don't think
> > there's any such thing. I suspect it's just good old American cheese tricked
> > out with Mexican spices to make it tasty for homemade Nachos. Does "nacho'
> > mean anything in Mexican, anyway?

Apparently, Doritos' nacho cheese consists of several cheeses, none of
which are American cheese (parmesan, romano, cheddar are among those in
attendance). The word "nacho" itself is conjured, meaning nothing more
in Mexican than "silly gringo".
Jim "Though I'm told it means something in Castillian" R.

Does Bubba Clinton speak bubonics?

Joe Littrell

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

Andrew Rogers <rog...@nospam.hi.com> wrote:
>Andrew Gore wrote:
>> Just what the'ell IS Nacho cheese, anyway? I always assumed 'nachos' were
>> tortilla corn chips with salsa, melted cheese, and Mexican spices to give it a
>> Mexican taste.

>This sounds suspiciously like a troll, but what the hell...

>The first recipes that I saw for nachos (late 60s/early 70s) were
>all pretty much the same thing: tortilla chips with a jalapeno
>slice, topped with cheese, and broiled. Elegant in their simplicity,
>and IMHO preferable to the ubiquitous "tortilla chips covered with
>generic pseudo-Mexican glop" bar food staple.

Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dic says this:

na-cho [perhaps from Spanish 'nacho' - flat-nosed] (1969)

Joe "Flat-nosed cheese? Ewww...." Littrell

Joe Littrell | Walk your way with honor among men. Bend not.
Salem@FM & SHMUX | Bow not. Defiance and truth are your weapons
age...@accessus.net| against fear and hate.

Paul L. Madarasz

Jan 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/23/97

>Andrew Gore wrote:
>>
>> Does "nacho'
>> mean anything in Mexican, anyway?

It's the nickname for Ignacio, also.

Paul L. Madarasz
Tucson
Baja Arizona
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
-- Ed Abbey