What you can say on television

Peter van der Linden

Feb 6, 1992, 10:23:22 PM2/6/92
A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far away, there was an elderly
comedian who had a list of 7 dirty words that could never be mentioned
on tv or radio.

How times have changed! Many of these 7 dirty words are now heard
on a daily basis on well-written mainstream tv, and also the Rosanne
Barr-Arnold show.

But who can remember what these words were, what ones are now common
currency, and what ones still dare not speak their name?

Peter van der Linden lin...@Eng.sun.com 415 336-6206
Trench coat (pointing to sidewalk): "Abunai yo!" (Hey, watch out!)
Dark suit (looking): "Jaa, dare ga Bushushita, ne!" (Sheesh! Somebody did a Bush, eh?)

Ron Dippold

Feb 7, 1992, 2:05:29 PM2/7/92
lin...@adapt.Sun.COM (Peter van der Linden) writes:

>A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far away, there was an elderly
>comedian who had a list of 7 dirty words that could never be mentioned
>on tv or radio.

George Carlin.

>But who can remember what these words were, what ones are now common
>currency, and what ones still dare not speak their name?

Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits. "Piss"
seems to be moving off the naughty list.
--
People born under Gemini tend to excel at political endeavors, especially those
involving the diplomatic service and the legislature. This is due mostly to

Robert Derrick

Feb 7, 1992, 3:12:06 PM2/7/92
: But who can remember what these words were, what ones are now common

: currency, and what ones still dare not speak their name?

Peter, the elderly comedian in question later realized that there were
two words he had lift off of the list. So the canonical list is:

WARNING:
People who don't want to know or see "dirty" words, quit now...

LAST WARNING!!!

Shit piss fuck cunt cocksucker motherfucker tits twat fart

There were words that could be used in the proper context:
I.e., "I going to breed my bitch to Champion Jack"
or "Once the cover is screwed on securely"

but not in the improper context:
"So you screwed him, you bitch"

There were words that although not encouraged, might not be completely
discouraged either, in context, such as penis, vagina, etc.

Then there were the funny words that had found there way on the telly:

They were saying "boobs" on The Match Game about once a day
Archie Bunker was saying "terlet" about once every four episodes

I can't swear to it, but I would guess the the f, c, m, & tw words have
never made prime time, and are probably still verboten, although they may
show up on late night, and they have all probably hit PBS. I know that
Grace Van Owen on LA LAW has used tits, and "screwed" to mean sex, and
bitch to mean, well, to mean bitch.

Paul Schaffer on Late Night w/DL used "You fucking bitch" in a joke, and
although it was bleeped, it was also obvious what had been bleeped.

And of course Dr. Ruth.

As for shit? Shit, I don't know. Anybody?

dr. bob

John Howells

Feb 7, 1992, 4:47:02 PM2/7/92
ro...@cray.com (Robert Derrick) writes:

<As for shit? Shit, I don't know. Anybody?

Yes. This taboo has recently been broken by, of all people, Steven
Spielberg. When ET was shown on network television for the first time
this past Thanksgiving, the dreated S word was left in because Spielberg
insisted on absolutely no editing or tampering whatsoever, and he got
it.

Also, I was shocked the other day to hear someone utter "bullshit" on
the People's Court. No effort was made to censor it, although they
routinely bleep names.

--
John Howells
how...@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

Chuck Adams

Feb 7, 1992, 5:54:51 PM2/7/92
In article <1992Feb7.2...@riacs.edu> how...@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov
(John Howells) writes:
> ro...@cray.com (Robert Derrick) writes:
>
> <As for shit? Shit, I don't know. Anybody?
>
> Yes. This taboo has recently been broken by, of all people, Steven
> Spielberg. When ET was shown on network television for the first time
> this past Thanksgiving, the dreated S word was left in because Spielberg
> insisted on absolutely no editing or tampering whatsoever, and he got
> it.

Then the phrase "Penis Breath", as said by Elliot at the dinner table was
left in as well?

|| Chuck Adams, WB5WRR (The Chuckster) ||
|| Internet: chuck_ada...@qmail.ssc.gov ||
|| Disclaimer: Not an official document of DOE, SSCL, URA or EG&G ||
|| "Curses! Flamed Again" ||

Kristopher Martin Nasadowski

Feb 7, 1992, 6:36:13 PM2/7/92
how...@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (John Howells) writes:

>ro...@cray.com (Robert Derrick) writes:

><As for shit? Shit, I don't know. Anybody?

>Yes. This taboo has recently been broken by, of all people, Steven
>Spielberg. When ET was shown on network television for the first time
>this past Thanksgiving, the dreated S word was left in because Spielberg
>insisted on absolutely no editing or tampering whatsoever, and he got
>it.

I was sitting home in my room working and listening to the TV, when
I heard the kid say 'shit' I kinda thought 'Oh wow!' I was surprised
that the censors missed that one completely. Then I read how Spielberg
wanted the movie to be unedited. And supposedly, the network received
no calls complaining about it.

K. Nasadowski
<nas...@rpi.edu>

Richard Joltes

Feb 7, 1992, 6:37:43 PM2/7/92
lin...@adapt.Sun.COM (Peter van der Linden) writes:

>A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far away, there was an elderly
>comedian who had a list of 7 dirty words that could never be mentioned
>on tv or radio.

Yes, and George Carlin is still pretty creative these days...

>How times have changed! Many of these 7 dirty words are now heard
>on a daily basis on well-written mainstream tv, and also the Rosanne
>Barr-Arnold show.

"Well-written" and "mainstream tv" are mutually exclusive, but go on...

>But who can remember what these words were, what ones are now common
>currency, and what ones still dare not speak their name?

I can remember them all, and no, I'm not posting them. First letters of all,
in order, are s p f c c m and t. I believe f, c and m are still verboten.

>Peter van der Linden lin...@Eng.sun.com 415 336-6206

Dick "and t doesn't even belong on the list!" Joltes jol...@husc.harvard.edu
Hardware & Networking Manager, Computer Services jol...@husc.bitnet
Harvard University Science Center

"Mind you, not as bad as the night Archie Pettigrew ate some
sheep's testicles for a bet...God, that bloody sheep kicked him..."

Dwight Tovey

Feb 10, 1992, 9:44:12 AM2/10/92
ro...@cray.com (Robert Derrick) writes:

>There were words that could be used in the proper context:
> I.e., "I going to breed my bitch to Champion Jack"
> or "Once the cover is screwed on securely"

"You can prick your finger."

>but not in the improper context:
> "So you screwed him, you bitch"

"But you can't finger your prick."
Also from George Carlin.
/dwight
Dwight Tovey | I didn't claw my way to the top of
Locus Computing Corp. | the food chain to eat vegetables.
(213)337-5978 |~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Internet: dwi...@locus.com | The views I express are entirely my
UUCP: ...!uunet!lcc!dwight | own and do not in any way represent
MIL/BITNET: dwight%l...@UUNET.UU.NET | those of Locus Computing.

Chris Keane

Feb 10, 1992, 7:38:36 PM2/10/92
ro...@cray.com (Robert Derrick) writes:

>LAST WARNING!!!

>Shit piss fuck cunt cocksucker motherfucker tits twat fart

^^^^
Oh. Once again the difference between the English language and the
english language is emphasised. In Australia (or England) it is not
unusual for one to fall over and land on one's twat, whereas in
America, to do so would require athletisism and femininity (unless
you land on someone else's twat :-)

I propose that in future, a female's reproductory organ be referred to
as an a-twat, whereas the posterior of a person of either sex be referred
to as an e-twat. That way, when you call me a twat, I know precisely how
insulting you are being.

Another example: Teknekron, when releasing their latest software thingy
called it TART. This is, until they were told that (a) a tart is a hooker
and (b) something of low quality can be "tarted" up to look good. The name
has been changed to TIB-queue :-)

regards...
Chris Keane. State Bank NSW ph. +61 2 259 4459
Unix Systems Administrator (Group Treasury) ch...@rufus.state.COM.AU
Disclaimer: These are my own opinions, but I'm insane. What's your excuse?

Scott Amspoker

Feb 10, 1992, 3:21:47 PM2/10/92
(John Howells) writes:
> ro...@cray.com (Robert Derrick) writes:
>
> <As for shit? Shit, I don't know. Anybody?
>
> Yes. This taboo has recently been broken by, of all people, Steven
> Spielberg. When ET was shown on network television for the first time
> this past Thanksgiving, the dreated S word was left in because Spielberg
> insisted on absolutely no editing or tampering whatsoever, and he got
> it.

The network premiere of the movie "Network" was the first time I heard
"shit" on primetime network television (that was many years ago).
Actually they said "bullshit", same difference.

About 2 years ago a guest on Johnny Carson said "bullshit" which went
out uncensored. Not to be outdone, Johnny managed to squeeze in
a "bullshit" before the next commercial break.

--
Scott Amspoker |
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM | How come they don't market a
| drum machine with sleigh bells?
sc...@bbx.basis.com |

William Logan Lee

Feb 11, 1992, 8:32:37 AM2/11/92
In article <7...@bbx.basis.com> sc...@bbx.basis.com (Scott Amspoker) writes:
>In article <1992Feb7.2...@riacs.edu> how...@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov
>(John Howells) writes:
>> ro...@cray.com (Robert Derrick) writes:
>>
>> <As for shit? Shit, I don't know. Anybody?
>>
>> Yes. This taboo has recently been broken by, of all people, Steven
>> Spielberg. When ET was shown on network television for the first time
>> this past Thanksgiving, the dreated S word was left in because Spielberg
>> insisted on absolutely no editing or tampering whatsoever, and he got
>> it.
>
>The network premiere of the movie "Network" was the first time I heard
>"shit" on primetime network television (that was many years ago).
>Actually they said "bullshit", same difference.
>
>About 2 years ago a guest on Johnny Carson said "bullshit" which went
>out uncensored. Not to be outdone, Johnny managed to squeeze in
>a "bullshit" before the next commercial break.

On Monday night the federally-funded television station ABC (that's the
Australian Broadcasting Corporation) broadcast an interview of a survivor
of a naval disaster 28 years ago. His words, broadcast, went something
like this "They didn't have a fucking chance".

Eleven years ago when I was in Minnesota, the local PBS put a documentary
about military exercises in Germany, where the f-word was used (unbleeped).

Thanks be to the producers of "Hard Copy" who, to protect us, cover up
nipples with cute black rectangles, thereby ensuring that the end result
is far more "interesting" than just to show them. Who sells us this crap
anyway? Doncha just love the promos; "And we'll be bring you a story
about the men who exploit women's bodies", and then spend most of the time
showing pictures of these women's semi-naked bodies.

Bill Lee

Jim Kasprzak

Feb 12, 1992, 1:11:19 AM2/12/92
In article <1992Feb11.1...@ucc.su.OZ.AU> bi...@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (William Logan Lee) writes:

>On Monday night the federally-funded television station ABC (that's the
>Australian Broadcasting Corporation) broadcast an interview of a survivor
>of a naval disaster 28 years ago. His words, broadcast, went something
>like this "They didn't have a fucking chance".
>
>Eleven years ago when I was in Minnesota, the local PBS put a documentary
>about military exercises in Germany, where the f-word was used (unbleeped).

Probably the most widely seen use of the f-word on commercial TV
occured just about a year ago. I was watching the CNN coverage of
the Gulf War, and they'd just gotten word of the Iraqi bombardment
of Khafji. They were broadcasting video as fast as they could pull
it off the satellite link, without bothering for trivial little
things like censoring. There was an interview with an artillery
crew which was loading and firing as the cameraman was talking to
them. After the cameraman talked to the sergeant in charge of the
crew for a few minutes, one of the crew stepped into the field of
view and said (not verbatim, but I remember it was something like),
"Hey, there's something happening off to the left, let's get back
to work and find out what the fuck's going on."

I was too young to understand the Vietnam War when it was on TV
(though I loved to listen to my dad's Janet Joplin records); do
any slightly older AFU'ers remember if they had similar uncensored
interviews back then?

(On a tangent which has little if anything to do with UL's, I'm
kind of amazed at my fairly ho-hum reaction to the Gulf War. It
was just another show on TV... I'd come home from work, sit on the
couch with a soda and some chips and watch the war. And I was
prime draft-bait, too. Sheeesh.)
__ Live from Capitaland, heart of the Empire State...
___/ | Jim Kasprzak, computer operator @ RPI, Troy, NY, USA
/____ *| Disclaimer: RPI pays me to work, not to think.
\_| "A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission" -Rush
==== e-mail: kas...@rpi.edu or kasp...@mts.rpi.edu

Pete Young

Feb 12, 1992, 9:05:59 AM2/12/92
From article <pfhs1f=@rpi.edu>, by kas...@operators.its.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak):

> Probably the most widely seen use of the f-word on commercial TV
> occured just about a year ago.

Another good one occurred during the live coverage of the Calcutta Cup
match a couple of weeks ago (thats Rugby Union, Scotland vs. England).
Don't know what the audience rating was, but probably about 4 million
(quite sizeable for the UK).

An incident occurs and the ref goes to consult with his linesman. Cut to
touchline camera.

Linesman (in broad welsh accent): "English player. Stamping. Haven't got
a fucking clue what number he was."

Pete Young pyo...@axion.bt.co.uk Phone +44 473 645054
BT Labs, Martlesham Heath, IPSWICH IP5 7RE UK
"You ain't even the beginnings of a pimple on the great Robert Johnson's ass"

Kate McDonnell

Feb 12, 1992, 8:16:31 AM2/12/92
In article <chris.697768716@rufus> ch...@state.COM.AU (Chris Keane) writes:
>Oh. Once again the difference between the English language and the
>english language is emphasised. In Australia (or England) it is not
>unusual for one to fall over and land on one's twat, whereas in
>America, to do so would require athletisism and femininity (unless
>you land on someone else's twat :-)

Hmm, sounds like the meaning changed places with "fanny", which
in North America is actually rather a genteel euphemism for the
derriere, but I gather means "twat" in Australia.

... sort of like that crib/cot example posted a little while
back.

--
Kate McDonnell
gre...@ozrout.UUCP

Niall Jackson

Feb 12, 1992, 10:41:16 AM2/12/92
In article <chris.697768716@rufus> ch...@state.COM.AU (Chris Keane) writes:
>ro...@cray.com (Robert Derrick) writes:
>
>>LAST WARNING!!!
>
>>Shit piss fuck cunt cocksucker motherfucker tits twat fart
> ^^^^
>Oh. Once again the difference between the English language and the
>english language is emphasised. In Australia (or England) it is not
>unusual for one to fall over and land on one's twat, whereas in
>America, to do so would require athletisism and femininity (unless
>you land on someone else's twat :-)

Sorry, but this calls for a `You daft twat!' Twat is definately the female
genitalia in my part of BRITAIN (call it like it is) and is no more fallen
on than fannies are on this side of the Atlantic. We already have plenty
of terms for the anal area without introducing any more.

Admittedly `twat' is a particularly strong word. My dad uses it in front of
my mum; you'd never hear him using `fanny' (never mind `cunt'!)

There is also a verb `twatted', which means something along the lines of
`hit'.

>regards...
>Chris Keane. State Bank NSW ph. +61 2 259 4459
>Unix Systems Administrator (Group Treasury) ch...@rufus.state.COM.AU
>Disclaimer: These are my own opinions, but I'm insane. What's your excuse?

Mad Elf (no stupid twats here!)

Terry Von Gease

Feb 11, 1992, 10:37:16 AM2/11/92
>/ hpcss01:alt.folklore.urban / lin...@adapt.Sun.COM (Peter van der Linden) / 7:23 pm Feb 6, 1992 /

>A long, long time ago, in a galaxy far away, there was an elderly
>comedian who had a list of 7 dirty words that could never be mentioned
>on tv or radio.
>
>How times have changed! Many of these 7 dirty words are now heard
>on a daily basis on well-written mainstream tv, and also the Rosanne
>Barr-Arnold show.
>
>But who can remember what these words were, what ones are now common
>currency, and what ones still dare not speak their name?

George Carlin is 'elderly'? Anyway, according to George, the seven
words you can't, or couldn't, say on television are...

shit

piss
fuck
cunt
cocksucker
motherfucker
tits

Seems kind of tame these days. Besides, motherfucker is redundant.

Terry

Stephen Carter

Feb 12, 1992, 8:32:14 AM2/12/92
From article <pfhs1f=@rpi.edu>, by kas...@operators.its.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak):

> I was too young to understand the Vietnam War when it was on TV
> (though I loved to listen to my dad's Janet Joplin records); do
> any slightly older AFU'ers remember if they had similar uncensored
> interviews back then?

Janet? shurely shome mishtake - ed.

On the real thread, there was an occasion 5 or so years back when the
very very prestigious UK commercial News At Ten had a slot of a
'reporter' live from the street (doing I know what not) and he slowly
edged backwards as the camera panned away. Unfortunately he shuffled
back into a traffic island and fell backwards, at which point he
uttered the immortal phrase "Oh sh*t". Cut back to studio,,,

Stephen Carter, Systems Manager, The Administration,
The University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9RH, UK
Tel: +44 273 678203 Fax: +44 273 678335 JANET: ste...@uk.ac.sussex.syma
EARN/BITNET : ste...@syma.sussex.ac.uk UUCP: ste...@syma.uucp
ARPA/INTERNET: stevedc%syma.sus...@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

S. Mudgett aka little gator

Feb 11, 1992, 6:04:20 AM2/11/92

In article <chris.697768716@rufus> ch...@state.COM.AU (Chris Keane) writes:
(Sender was: ne...@state.COM.AU)

> ^^^^
> Oh. Once again the difference between the English language and the
> english language is emphasised. In Australia (or England) it is not
> unusual for one to fall over and land on one's twat, whereas in
> America, to do so would require athletisism and femininity (unless
> you land on someone else's twat :-)
i'v heard something similar about the word "fanny", which means sitting-down
parts in american and female parts in british.
--
-- little gator aka S. Mudgett email: s...@harvee.uucp
-- friend of a gator is a friend of mine

unknown user

Feb 13, 1992, 3:43:21 AM2/13/92

In article <pfhs1f=@rpi.edu> kas...@operators.its.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) writes:
>(though I loved to listen to my dad's Janet Joplin records); do
heh heh

> (On a tangent which has little if anything to do with UL's, I'm
>kind of amazed at my fairly ho-hum reaction to the Gulf War. It
>was just another show on TV... I'd come home from work, sit on the
>couch with a soda and some chips and watch the war. And I was
>prime draft-bait, too. Sheeesh.)

Well, for a few days, I was thinking being drafted was a very likely
thing.. I don't think other people I know were concerned about it though.
(But even in a draft, you have to be physically fit and everything to go to
the front lines, right? Well, I'm really short/overweight/out of shape, so
presumably I am not "front line" material. Plus I have computer knowledge that
would probably be valuable)
Still, I was planning on living in Canada for a while (heh)... or
suing the government for sex discrimination. (The ACLU'd give me free lawyers,
wouldn't they?) Seriously, I think drafting men and not women is complete
discrimination, just like hiring a man over a woman in any other job. I think
everyone should be treated equally in *all* respects (uhh, except the bedroom),
not just when it's convenient.. (i.e. men paying for dates and other
"everyday courtesies" seem discriminatory.)
--
/unk...@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever!\
|WANT to get INFOCOM GAMES RERELEASED | Also will pass on -UNIX GS- |

Mark Walsh

Feb 13, 1992, 3:29:11 PM2/13/92
From article <7...@bbx.basis.com>, by sc...@bbx.basis.com (Scott Amspoker):

> About 2 years ago a guest on Johnny Carson said "bullshit" which went
> out uncensored. Not to be outdone, Johnny managed to squeeze in
> a "bullshit" before the next commercial break.

Tuesday night, Democratic candidate Tom Harkin was being
grilled by the press on national TV. I don't know what
the question was, but his uncensored response was:

"BULLSHIT!"
--
--- Mark Walsh --- What, me worry?
UUCP: uunet!optilink!walsh

Niall Jackson

Feb 14, 1992, 7:46:51 AM2/14/92

Just goes to show the relative strengths of information flowing UK -> US
and US -> UK; US people have `heard something' about words like fanny and fag;
UK folk have them beaten into them on primetime TV every night (spot the US
expression there!)

Mad Elf

PS Does `arse' have any meaning over there?

David Esan

Feb 14, 1992, 11:48:07 AM2/14/92

I remember (I must be one of them old geezers too) when the NBA was first
being broadcast nationally in the late 1960's. Walt Bellamy was playing
center for the Atlanta Hawks. Every time that he missed a shot (often)
or the player he was guarding made his shot (more often), Walt bellowed
"shit." Not just shit, but that wonderful drawn out Southern "sheeeeee-ittt".
The announcers were then using microphones like at baseball games, set up
in front of them on a table, and they captured every instance for then
much more innocent nation. The mikes in front of the mouth showed up
very soon thereafter.
--> David Esan d...@moscom.com

Jim Tolar

Feb 13, 1992, 9:05:50 PM2/13/92
In article <28...@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unk...@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (unknown user) writes:

> Well, for a few days, I was thinking being drafted was a very likely
>thing.. I don't think other people I know were concerned about it though.
>(But even in a draft, you have to be physically fit and everything to go to
>the front lines, right? Well, I'm really short/overweight/out of shape, so
>presumably I am not "front line" material. Plus I have computer knowledge that
>would probably be valuable)

I hate to burst your balloon, but turning "really short/overweight/out of
shape" people into "really short/normalweight/in shape" front line material
is a lot of what basic training is all about. They don't expect you to come
prepared to go to the front line when they draft you. In fact, I think they
like it when you leave them a lot of work to do. :-)

jt
--
| Jim Tolar | Phone: (602) 897-4391
| SSDT, Motorola Inc. | uucp: ...!uunet!dover!tolar
| M/S EL510 | internet: to...@ssdt-tempe.sps.mot.com
| 2100 E. Elliot Rd. |
| Tempe, AZ 85284 | You occupy a much needed space.

Dan Tilque

Feb 14, 1992, 10:09:01 PM2/14/92
jack...@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mad Elf) writes:

>Just goes to show the relative strengths of information flowing UK -> US
>and US -> UK; US people have `heard something' about words like fanny and fag;
>UK folk have them beaten into them on primetime TV every night (spot the US
>expression there!)

The American networks evidently have a NIH attitude. They buy all
their shows from local sources and never import them from abroad. PBS
is the opposite--it imports lots of stuff from Britain. Since they are
the only importers, they can pick and choose what they want (we have
distorted ideas about British TV--we think it's all highly intellectual
shows, even the humor). PBS doesn't get near the ratings the networks
do, so there's not much cultural influence there.

In these days of proliferating cable channels, maybe there's one that
specializes in British TV. If not, I'm sure there's a market. Someone
go for it.

>PS Does `arse' have any meaning over there?

Same thing as it does over there. We recognize it, just don't use it.

---
Dan Tilque -- da...@logos.WR.TEK.COM

"For, in politics as in religion, it is equally absurd to aim at making
proselytes by fire and sword." -- Alexander Hamilton

Steve Austin

Feb 14, 1992, 10:54:22 PM2/14/92
da...@logos.WR.TEK.COM (Dan Tilque) writes:

->The American networks evidently have a NIH attitude. They buy all
->their shows from local sources and never import them from abroad. PBS
->is the opposite--it imports lots of stuff from Britain. Since they are
->the only importers, they can pick and choose what they want (we have
->distorted ideas about British TV--we think it's all highly intellectual
->shows, even the humor). PBS doesn't get near the ratings the networks
->do, so there's not much cultural influence there.

In fact, PBS (IMHO) ends up being better than UK TV because it filters
out all the crap (what's the current Blankety Blank clone) and just
shows the good stuff. Pity they don't show Spitting Image though --
I beleive that they had an emasculated version which didn't go down
very well 'cos it made fun of the President.

Steve Austin

A biased source

Feb 15, 1992, 5:42:49 PM2/15/92
kas...@operators.its.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) writes:
> Probably the most widely seen use of the f-word on commercial TV
>occured just about a year ago. I was watching the CNN coverage of
>the Gulf War, and they'd just gotten word of the Iraqi bombardment
>of Khafji. They were broadcasting video as fast as they could pull
>it off the satellite link, without bothering for trivial little
>things like censoring....

[amusing Gulf War coverage anecdote deleted...sorry, Jim]

Right as the air war started, my roommate and I turned on the network
coverage and started channel flipping. (I was avoiding homework, he wanted
to see if anyone would broadcast casualty figures, the responsible little
twit. :) We flipped to one station (NBC, I think) just in time to see
them cut over to a remote reporter covering the general release of tension;
he was standing on a street with lots of celebrating people behind him.
(I think Seattle, but again, I'm not sure.)

One of the revellers moved out so the camera could see him, and pointed to
his shirt, which very clearly, in big, yellow-on-black block letters, said
"Fuck Iraq". My roomie and I were rather astonished that they didn't
even try to cut him out of the field of view.

I do know that CBS has run several un-censored specials over the past
several years, including the original "48 Hours on Crack Street," which
featured a 15-year-old kid uttering the immortal phrase, "Honky want some
shit" on national TV. (His mother was right there, too, which kind of
startled me, but hey...) While they had announced it would be uncut, that
drove the point home. Alas, that was all I saw of the show.

--
--Andrew Hackard Disclaimer: As usual, I wasn't consulted.
an...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

"Soon, we'll be out amid the cold world's strife;
soon, we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life."

Neal Whitman

Feb 16, 1992, 4:28:31 PM2/16/92
-verbum

do...@yang.earlham.edu

Feb 17, 1992, 12:51:42 PM2/17/92
In article <pfhs1f=@rpi.edu>, kas...@operators.its.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) writes:
> In article <1992Feb11.1...@ucc.su.OZ.AU> bi...@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (William Logan Lee) writes:
>>
>>On Monday night the federally-funded television station ABC (that's the
>>Australian Broadcasting Corporation) broadcast an interview of a survivor
>>of a naval disaster 28 years ago. His words, broadcast, went something
>>like this "They didn't have a fucking chance".
>>
>>Eleven years ago when I was in Minnesota, the local PBS put a documentary
>>about military exercises in Germany, where the f-word was used (unbleeped).
>
> Probably the most widely seen use of the f-word on commercial TV
> occured just about a year ago. I was watching the CNN coverage of
> the Gulf War, and they'd just gotten word of the Iraqi bombardment
> of Khafji. They were broadcasting video as fast as they could pull
> it off the satellite link, without bothering for trivial little
> things like censoring. There was an interview with an artillery
> crew which was loading and firing as the cameraman was talking to
> them. After the cameraman talked to the sergeant in charge of the
> crew for a few minutes, one of the crew stepped into the field of
> view and said (not verbatim, but I remember it was something like),
> "Hey, there's something happening off to the left, let's get back
> to work and find out what the fuck's going on."

I remember the _Nightline_ 10th anniversary special. Koppel
described one guest they had, who the cast dubbed "Bull-*bleep* Sally"
because of the straightforwardly vocal way she disagreed with everyone.
Then they broadcast a clip she was in...and they didn't bother beeping out
any of her language.
--Doug
"His pulse never went above 85--even when he ate her tongue."
--_Silence of the Lambs_

do...@yang.earlham.edu

Feb 17, 1992, 12:54:09 PM2/17/92
In article <1992Feb11.1...@ucc.su.OZ.AU>, bi...@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (William Logan Lee) writes:
> anyway? Doncha just love the promos; "And we'll be bring you a story
> about the men who exploit women's bodies", and then spend most of the time
> showing pictures of these women's semi-naked bodies.
"Strip joints...nude beaches...women taking showers...Good or bad?
We'll be taking a nineteen-part look at this..."
--_Attack of the Killer Tomatoes_
(or Tomatos, I suppose)

Ceri Hopkins

Feb 18, 1992, 7:23:16 AM2/18/92
In article <kpp3ne...@news.bbn.com> sau...@bbn.com (Steve Austin) writes:

>In fact, PBS (IMHO) ends up being better than UK TV because it filters
>out all the crap (what's the current Blankety Blank clone) and just
>shows the good stuff. Pity they don't show Spitting Image though --
>I beleive that they had an emasculated version which didn't go down
>very well 'cos it made fun of the President.
>
> Steve Austin

I'm sure any TV that has filtered out the crap is better than
un-filtered TV. I reckon you're just bitter 'cause UK TV hasn't re-run
"The Six Million Dollar Man" on a regular basis.

Sorry Steve :-)

Ceri
--
Ceri Hopkins
School of Computer Science C.A.H...@Cs.Bham.Ac.Uk

David Esan

Feb 18, 1992, 12:03:24 PM2/18/92
In article <1992Feb14....@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk> jack...@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mad Elf) writes:
>PS Does `arse' have any meaning over there?

Sure. In the US arse is used when you want to sound English.

Mostly we say ass. Which of course causes a great deal of confusion since
"getting some ass" is often said by those who do not want to use someone else's
ass for that purpose.

Of course, it also confuses kids studying the Bible when they learn that
Balaam talked to his ass.

IC...@asuacad.bitnet

Feb 18, 1992, 4:37:11 PM2/18/92
In article <33...@moscom.UUCP>, d...@moscom.UUCP (David Esan) says:

>Of course, it also confuses kids studying the Bible when they learn that
>Balaam talked to his ass.

Speaking of confusion. If a midget horse is an ass and a male sheep is a ram,
why is a ram in the ass a goose?

Loyd Means
Phoenix AZ

Pete Young

Feb 19, 1992, 7:36:43 AM2/19/92
From article <33...@moscom.UUCP>, by d...@moscom.UUCP (David Esan):

> Of course, it also confuses kids studying the Bible when they learn that
> Balaam talked to his ass.

Well, I don't know about that, but he could not move it, which made him
one of the 5 constipated men in the bible. The others being (according to
the old song) :

Solomon : sat for 40 years
Cain : was not able
Samson : brought the house down
Moses : took the tablets

to the tune of "The quartermasters stores".

Pete "the old ones are the old ones" Young

Chris Keane

Feb 19, 1992, 5:41:34 PM2/19/92
jack...@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk (Niall Jackson) writes:

>PS Does `arse' have any meaning over there?

Yes, and an 'ass' is a donkey. Gives whole new meaning to the phrase
"kiss my ass"

Robert Sheaffer

Feb 19, 1992, 10:40:33 PM2/19/92
In article <33...@moscom.UUCP> d...@moscom.UUCP (David Esan) writes:

>Of course, it also confuses kids studying the Bible when they learn that
>Balaam talked to his ass.

And it must confuse them even more to learn that the ass answered him!

(But it's all true. INFALLIBLE, even!)
--

Robert Sheaffer - Scepticus Maximus - shea...@netcom.com

Past Chairman, The Bay Area Skeptics - for whom I speak only when authorized!

"The facts can only take you so far in this case.",
- Oliver Stone, discussing "JFK" on CBS-TV's "48 Hours", Feb. 5, 1992

do...@yang.earlham.edu

Feb 20, 1992, 1:56:57 AM2/20/92
In article <1992Feb14....@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk>, jack...@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk (Niall Jackson) writes:
> In article <670...@harvee.UUCP> s...@harvee.UUCP (S. Mudgett aka little gator) writes:
>>
>>In article <chris.697768716@rufus> ch...@state.COM.AU (Chris Keane) writes:
>>(Sender was: ne...@state.COM.AU)
>>> ^^^^
>>> Oh. Once again the difference between the English language and the
>>> english language is emphasised. In Australia (or England) it is not
>>> unusual for one to fall over and land on one's twat, whereas in
>>> America, to do so would require athletisism and femininity (unless
>>> you land on someone else's twat :-)
>>i'v heard something similar about the word "fanny", which means sitting-down
>>parts in american and female parts in british.

> Just goes to show the relative strengths of information flowing UK -> US

> and US -> UK; US people have `heard something' about words like fanny and fag;
> UK folk have them beaten into them on primetime TV every night (spot the US
> expression there!)
>
> Mad Elf
>
> PS Does `arse' have any meaning over there?

Not really. Either we know what it means from exposure, or we figure
it out from context, or we assume the writer can't spell, but we don't use it.
I've never heard it used in conversation, or seen it used in writing (by an
American, that is).

Mike Dedek

Feb 20, 1992, 1:40:18 PM2/20/92
^^^^
"And tits doesn't even belong on the list! It sounds like a snack (I know,
it is). Cheese tits, corn tits, tater tits..."

|> Seems kind of tame these days. Besides, motherfucker is redundant.
|>
|> Terry

Those were the good old days, huh?

-Mike "just tit for tat" Dedek

Ron Dippold

Feb 20, 1992, 8:01:25 PM2/20/92
de...@meaddata.com (Mike Dedek) writes:

>|> shit
>|> piss
>|> fuck
>|> cunt
>|> cocksucker
>|> motherfucker
>|> tits
> ^^^^
>"And tits doesn't even belong on the list! It sounds like a snack (I know,
>it is). Cheese tits, corn tits, tater tits..."

"Betcha can't eat just one!"
--
I have ways of making money that you know nothing of. -- John D. Rockefeller

John Eaton

Feb 21, 1992, 2:23:09 PM2/21/92
<<<
|> tits
^^^^
"And tits doesn't even belong on the list! It sounds like a snack (I know,
it is). Cheese tits, corn tits, tater tits..."

----------
You can say "tits" on TV. As long as you are on a 5 o'clock in the morning
and your guest is a cow.

John Eaton
!hp-vcd!johne

unknown user

Feb 23, 1992, 10:01:00 PM2/23/92

In article <rdippold.698634085@cancun> rdip...@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:
> [...]

SNL last night had Dana Carvey (as the prez) show a sign saying
"You're pissed" last night.

"The Trials of Rosie O'Neill" is at least one place where this was
said on "normal commercial TV".

Frank Tredeau

Feb 24, 1992, 9:09:09 AM2/24/92
In article <33...@moscom.UUCP> d...@moscom.UUCP (David Esan) writes:

>Of course, it also confuses kids studying the Bible when they learn that
>Balaam talked to his ass.

But the same kids understood perfectly when they where told
that thay could not covet their neighbor's wife's ass.

Frank (I cudda been somebody) Tredeau

Tim McDonough

Feb 24, 1992, 4:26:04 PM2/24/92
In article <29...@darkstar.ucsc.edu> unk...@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (unknown user) writes:

> SNL last night had Dana Carvey (as the prez) show a sign saying
>"You're pissed" last night.

> "The Trials of Rosie O'Neill" is at least one place where this was
>said on "normal commercial TV".

Lida Ford said tits several times on the Howard Stern Show last week. This of
course got Howard to launch into a listing of the words you can't say on TV.
The funny thing was that tits was never censored, however other things were!
By the way, for those who don't know! The Howard Stern show is on NBC araound
here!

-Tim
--
Hewlett Packard - SPR Timothy M. McDonough
16399 W. Bernardo Drive 1350 N. Esc. Blvd. #40

Terry Chan

Feb 24, 1992, 9:25:50 PM2/24/92
In article <1992Feb24.2...@sdd.hp.com> t...@sdd.hp.com (Tim McDonough)
writes:

+Lida Ford said tits several times on the Howard Stern Show last week. This of
+course got Howard to launch into a listing of the words you can't say on TV.
+The funny thing was that tits was never censored, however other things were!
+By the way, for those who don't know! The Howard Stern show is on NBC araound
+here!

Ah, that was great! Lita Ford's responses to who she had banged was
pretty amusing.

Only thing is, were those bleeped out words the same words that Carlin used?

Terry "NBC huh? Progressive down there." Chan
INTERNET: twc...@lbl.gov BITNET: twc...@lbl.bitnet

Think globally, eat locally.

CMJ

Feb 27, 1992, 12:39:21 AM2/27/92
In Australia there is no problem with using bad words on television if they
are being discussed in an academic way. A few years ago on the ABC
(Australian equiv. of PBS) I remember seeing an interview in which a
University professor discussed the etymological origin of several four
letter words...

=== CAPTAIN MARVEL JONES ===

Peter Yeung

Feb 28, 1992, 10:24:08 AM2/28/92

On a local station, the first word (i.e. "mother") in "mother f*cker" is
"silenced" in the movies it is showing. Kind of strange!

--
Peter Yeung Amdahl Canada Ltd., Software Development Center
2000 Argentia Road, Plaza 2, Suite 300

matt_garretson

Feb 29, 1992, 2:06:39 PM2/29/92
Maybe this has already been discussed in this thread, but what about the
words that aren't really vulgar, but are usually edited out of movies
presumably to avoid offending audience members who are sensitive to
blasphemy and other religious stuff like that.

As near as I can tell, most movies I have seen on television seem to
have been edited under guidelines such as these:

o You can say "jesus", but not "jesus christ"; in fact, I think the
word "christ" is almost always bleeped out in any context

o You can say "damn", and you can say "god" but you can't say "god damn"

o Of course, you can say "sonofabitch" under almost any circumstances

I get a kick out of this. I imagine some guys in an editing room consulting
a handbook about junk like this while they edit a movie for TV. Does anyone
know of any formal rules thay usually go by?
Matt Garretson :-) gar...@rpi.edu

Larry M Headlund

Feb 29, 1992, 9:21:04 PM2/29/92
In article <+22s...@rpi.edu> Matt Garretson writes:
>Maybe this has already been discussed in this thread, but what about the
>words that aren't really vulgar, but are usually edited out of movies
>presumably to avoid offending audience members who are sensitive to
>blasphemy and other religious stuff like that.

(deleted)

For some really odd material silenced out, return with us now
to the Golden Age of Television (1950's)...

The play _Judgement at Nuremburg_ was produced for Playhouse 90
on CBS. The American judge played by Claude Rains confronts the German
jurist Paul Lukas and says:
"How in the name of God can you ask me to understand the
extermination of men, women and children in (silenced)?".

The silenced phrase was "gas ovens". It had been cut at the insistence
of the sponser, the American Gas Association.

For those with conflictiong memories: Spencer Tracy and Burt Lancaster
played those parts in the movie version.

Reference: _The Glory and the Dream_, William Manchester, page 595.

--
Larry Headlund l...@world.std.com Eikonal Systems (617) 482-3345

Travis Gee

Mar 1, 1992, 7:58:07 PM3/1/92

> Think globally, eat locally.

For those who missed the Class Clown album, the seven words you can't say on
television (according to Carlin) are shit,piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker,
motherfucker and tits. But tits shouldn't be on the list. It sounds like a
snack... I know, it is! Try new Cheez Tits or Tater Tits...betcha can't eat
just one!!!

David Esan

Mar 2, 1992, 10:29:53 AM3/2/92
In article <+22s...@rpi.edu> Matt Garretson writes:
> o You can say "damn", and you can say "god" but you can't say "god damn"

Of course it wasn't a movie, and it was the #1 show on TV at the time, but
Archie says goddamn in "All in the Family." A classic scene (paraphrased,
and not well at that):

Archie: Goddamnit!
Edith: Oh Archie!
Archie: What's wrong Edith? God's in the Bible. And he is always damning
someone. So you put the two words together and get God Damn it!

Ted Frank

Mar 9, 1992, 9:25:06 AM3/9/92
In article <1992Mar4.1...@yang.earlham.edu> do...@yang.earlham.edu (Doug Atkinson) writes:

>In article <1992Feb28....@meadow.uucp>, p...@meadow.uucp (Peter Yeung) writes:
>>
>> On a local station, the first word (i.e. "mother") in "mother f*cker" is
>> "silenced" in the movies it is showing. Kind of strange!
>>
> The stupidest silencing I ever heard was in Fox's showing of
>_Monty Python and the Holy Grail_, in the Castle Anthrax scene. "And then
>the (pause) sex!" (The original word was "oral", and you can still hear
>the girls in the background exclaiming "The oral sex! The oral sex!" so
>nothing's accomplished.)
> Stupid dubbings I have heard:
>
> "You cost 200 bucks damage to my car, you son of a butthead."
>(_Back to the Future_)
> "Pardon my French, but if you stuck a lump of coal in his fist, in
>two weeks you'd have a diamond." (_Ferris Bueller's Day Off_)
> The all time worst dubbings ever: the "This man has no dick" line
>in _Ghostbusters_. I heard it as "This man has no brain" but other people
>report it as "This man is some kind of rodent."
> (I would, for the record, like to state one movie with successful
>dubbing: _Spaceballs_. The word "moron" was substituted for "asshole" and
>you could hardly tell the difference.)

"Mickeyfickey" in "Do the Right Thing" is one of my all-time favorites.
I think Spike Lee himself had control over the redub.
--
Ted Frank + "This must be the Red Sox's year. Statistics of the last
1307 E 60 St, #109 + 75 years prove that the Sox always win the World Series

Jeffrey Wayman

Mar 9, 1992, 3:07:10 PM3/9/92
The worst one I ever heard was at the end of Caddyshack, when Rodney
says, "We're all gonna get laid," and the crowd goes wild.....they
dubbed in "We're all gonna take a shower." Terrible.

Jeff

Tim McDonough

Mar 9, 1992, 3:38:46 PM3/9/92

Of course my vote for some of the funniest redubs goes to the TV version of
"Repo Man". Every time they would have said fuck, or fuckin', they dub in
flip, or flippin'. The best though is the replacement of Mother Fucker with
Melon Farmer! It still make me laugh to hear such line as "Flip You, You Melon
Farmer!"

Laura Wasko

Mar 9, 1992, 5:22:40 PM3/9/92
In <1992Mar09.2...@sdd.hp.com> t...@sdd.hp.com (Tim McDonough) writes:

>Of course my vote for some of the funniest redubs goes to the TV version of
>"Repo Man". Every time they would have said fuck, or fuckin', they dub in
>flip, or flippin'. The best though is the replacement of Mother Fucker with
>Melon Farmer! It still make me laugh to hear such line as "Flip You, You Melon
>Farmer!"

My favorite was from *The Breakfast Club* when they changed Judd Nelson's
question "Did you slip her the hot beef injection?" to "Did you give her
some hot wild affection?"

Laura

laura wasko=pe...@camelot.bradley.edu=<jeff'sbabe,handsoff>
"oh, man, this is really living!" --baloo, *the jungle book*

Jeff Neau

Mar 9, 1992, 6:04:26 PM3/9/92
In article <1992Mar9.1...@midway.uchicago.edu> th...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>> The stupidest silencing I ever heard was in Fox's showing of
>>_Monty Python and the Holy Grail_, in the Castle Anthrax scene. "And then
>>the (pause) sex!"

One of my favorites was in 'The Jerk' when Navin (Steve Martin) was writing
home about his first 'blow job'. His mother reads the letter, "Oh, by the way,
Patty gave me my first blow job." But on T.V., they cut out the word 'blow'.
Navin's older brother starts cracking up after mom reads the letter and if you
hadn't seen the real version, I'm sure it would be confusing as to why he is
laughing...

Jeffrey Neau
(je...@cray.com)

CatStyle

Mar 9, 1992, 7:31:11 PM3/9/92
I vote for Police Academy:

"Drop that stereo before I blow your goddamn balls off, asshole!"

turns into

"Drop that stereo before I blow your gosh darn kneecaps off, egg head!"

CatStyle
jas...@joker.aiss.uiuc.edu

Terry Carroll

Mar 9, 1992, 7:47:40 PM3/9/92
In article <1992Mar09.2...@sdd.hp.com> t...@sdd.hp.com (Tim McDonough) writes:
>In article <1992Mar09.2...@yuma.acns.colostate.edu> way...@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Jeffrey Wayman) writes:
>>The worst one I ever heard was at the end of Caddyshack, when Rodney
>>says, "We're all gonna get laid," and the crowd goes wild.....they
>>dubbed in "We're all gonna take a shower." Terrible.
>
>Of course my vote for some of the funniest redubs goes to the TV version of
>"Repo Man". Every time they would have said fuck, or fuckin', they dub in
>flip, or flippin'. The best though is the replacement of Mother Fucker with
>Melon Farmer! It still make me laugh to hear such line as "Flip You, You Melon
>Farmer!"

In the movie "Nighthawks", with Sylvester "Party at Kitty and Studs"
Stallone, the TV version dubbed "buzzard" for every occurance of "bastard".
--
The above is my thoughts, not Amdahl's; | Terry Carroll 408/992-2152
The above is not legal advice; | Senior Computer Architect

Phred T. Platypus

Mar 9, 1992, 9:30:04 PM3/9/92
>> The all time worst dubbings ever: the "This man has no dick" line
>>in _Ghostbusters_. I heard it as "This man has no brain" but other people
>>report it as "This man is some kind of rodent."

This last one is not a redubbing. There is an actual scene with
Bill Murray saying the rodent comment.

My favorite is from Risky Business when the guy says:
"What the hell."
"If you can't say it, you can't do it."

Talk about confusing.
--
"You ask me if sex is one of the most _ \_ \ _ /_ / Phred Platypus
important things in life? Absolutely. _ \_ \ _ /_ / Grammarian of Vengeance

W Darren Prouty

Mar 10, 1992, 12:27:58 AM3/10/92
what about "...no dad...what about you?" "...DAMN YOU"...etc...etc...
from Breakfast Club

Anthony A. Datri

Mar 9, 1992, 9:47:31 PM3/9/92

>> "You cost 200 bucks damage to my car, you son of a butthead."
>>(_Back to the Future_)

Sigh. Bitch is just fine on TV now, and has been used as far back as
Gilda Rander's Emily Latella character on SNL. The broadcast butcher of
Aliens dubs "butts" into Hudson's "..but we just got our asses kicked!"
("ass" is just fine on The Simpsons), but left in Ripley's "Get away from her
you BITCH!". I'm suprised that "piss" is now TV-legal, too.

>> The all time worst dubbings ever: the "This man has no dick" line
>>in _Ghostbusters_. I heard it as "This man has no brain" but other people
>>report it as "This man is some kind of rodent."

I wonder what they'll do with Wayne's World: "This man has no penis" and
"He blows goats. I have proof" (quotes may be inexact).

--

======================================================8--<

Scott W Roby

Mar 10, 1992, 8:02:11 AM3/10/92
Blazing Saddles:

"The little bastard shot me in the ass!"

becomes:

"The little... punk shot me in the you-know!"

Honest! (circa 1980 on TV)

--
Scott W. Roby *Dept. of Redundancy Dept.* "No Matter where you go...
Phys.& Astr.Dept. ///// / / / *|* \ \ \ \\\\\ there you are!"

Jeff Davis

Mar 10, 1992, 8:26:45 AM3/10/92
>I'm suprised that "piss" is now TV-legal, too.

We have Noah Webster to thank for that. "Piss" which appears in the KJV was
not included in his dictionary. TV-land is increasing the number of naughty
words it will permit since it sees itself as trying to appeal to younger
viewers. I have only my own to go on, but I would think that most pre-teens
are very shocked and put off by scatological words.

--
Jeff Davis <da...@keats.ca.uky.edu> strange kin people

Scott Brigham, corp

Mar 10, 1992, 8:37:25 AM3/10/92
I remember seeing the movie "Midway" on television a year or so after
seeing it in the theatre. There is a scene where the young American
pilot is visiting his Japanese-American fiancee through the chain-link
fence of the internment camp that she's in. She wants him to forget about
her and go his own way. In a very emotional scene she says to him
"I don't want to marry you. I don't love you any more." He replies
with much anger and grief "Say it to my face, Gosh Darn it!"
=========================
sco...@rosemount.com
Scott Brigham
St. Paul, MN
USA
=========================

Mike Berger

Mar 10, 1992, 2:15:09 PM3/10/92
wp...@andrew.cmu.edu (W Darren Prouty) writes:

>what about "...no dad...what about you?" "...DAMN YOU"...etc...etc...
>from Breakfast Club

*----
Along the same lines, Long Duc Dong's "no more yankee my crankee"
turns into "no more yankee rum drinkee" when Sixteen Candles is
shown on television.
--
Mike Berger
Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

ks...@vaxb.acs.unt.edu

Mar 10, 1992, 2:24:54 PM3/10/92
In article <hq1...@lynx.unm.edu>, vjmu...@carina.unm.edu (Phred T. Platypus)
writes:

> My favorite is from Risky Business when the guy says:
> "What the hell."
> "If you can't say it, you can't do it."
>
> Talk about confusing.

All through the movie, the line "what the f*ck" was redubbed to "what the
hell." I thought it was amusing when, at the end of the movie, the father
says "what the hell" and it was redubbed "what the heck."

I suppose they were just being consistent. :-)

*** Marge "Still looking for a good quote to put in my .sig"
ot...@vaxb.acs.unt.edu ot...@untvax.bitnet

ter...@sail.labs.tek.com

Mar 10, 1992, 2:21:18 PM3/10/92
In article <28...@brahms.udel.edu> ro...@brahms.udel.edu (Scott W Roby) writes:
>Blazing Saddles:
>
>"The little bastard shot me in the ass!"
>
>becomes:
>
>"The little... punk shot me in the you-know!"

And what was even *worse* was the (in)famous campfire "fart" scene; the
cowboys were sitting around eating beans, and one by one, they all let loose
with great gastrointestinal farts. How did they redub this for TV??? They had
a horse "whinny" every time a cowboy farted!!!

And an old lady saying "Up yours, nigger" turned into "Out of my way"...

>Honest! (circa 1980 on TV)

I believe you...(I'm not making this up, either...)

Terry Laskodi "There's a permanent crease
of in your right and wrong."
Tektronix Sly and the Family Stone, "Stand!"

Kirk Franklin

Mar 10, 1992, 4:42:04 PM3/10/92
In article <1992Mar10...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> berger@atropa (Mike Berger) writes:
>Along the same lines, Long Duc Dong's "no more yankee my crankee"
>turns into "no more yankee rum drinkee" when Sixteen Candles is
>shown on television.

I thought sure it was "No more yankee my wankee".

No worries,

Scooter Corleone
"Someday, and that day may never come, I may call upon you to make some
brownies for me."

--

.signature not included (empty)

Michael L. Kaufman

Mar 10, 1992, 9:00:13 PM3/10/92
My personal favorite was from Risky Buisness, where the friend says to Tom
Cruise:

"What the heck; if you can't say it you can't do it."

Michael

--
Michael Kaufman | I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on
kaufman | fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in
| lost in time - like tears in rain. Time to die. Roy Batty

David Ternes

Mar 10, 1992, 11:33:42 AM3/10/92
In article <1992Mar9.1...@hemlock.cray.com> je...@cray.com (Jeff Neau) writes:

>One of my favorites was in 'The Jerk' when Navin (Steve Martin) was writing
>home about his first 'blow job'. His mother reads the letter, "Oh, by the way,
>Patty gave me my first blow job." But on T.V., they cut out the word 'blow'.
>Navin's older brother starts cracking up after mom reads the letter and if you
>hadn't seen the real version, I'm sure it would be confusing as to why he is
>laughing...

I get kind of sad everytime I hear the dog called Stupid instead of Shithead.

Barry Margolin

Mar 10, 1992, 11:42:51 PM3/10/92
In article <1992Mar10.0...@news.eng.convex.com> da...@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>I wonder what they'll do with Wayne's World: "This man has no penis" and
>"He blows goats. I have proof" (quotes may be inexact).

What's wrong with those lines?

SNL had an entire sketch, set in a nudist colony, where the jioke was that
everyone referred to each other's penis, e.g. "Boy, that's a nice penis
you've got, Jim."

And David Letterman used to have a running joke about the fact that he
wasn't allowed to use the phrase "blow me". He kept using it, and wasn't
bleeped.
--
Barry Margolin
System Manager, Thinking Machines Corp.

bar...@think.com {uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

JOHN PERRIN

Mar 11, 1992, 9:13:51 AM3/11/92

>bar...@think.com {uunet,harvard}!think!barmar
'PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS PENIS ALL DAY LONG'
- The penis song

Jay Denebeim P025

Mar 11, 1992, 10:33:44 AM3/11/92
In article <11...@sail.LABS.TEK.COM> ter...@sail.LABS.TEK.COM writes:
>In article <28...@brahms.udel.edu> ro...@brahms.udel.edu (Scott W Roby) writes:
>>Blazing Saddles:
>>
>>"The little bastard shot me in the ass!"
>>
>>becomes:
>>
>>"The little... punk shot me in the you-know!"
>
> And an old lady saying "Up yours, nigger" turned into "Out of my way"...
>>Honest! (circa 1980 on TV)

The one that cracked me up is Madalyn Kahn's character in the movie
was named Lilly von Schtup (schtup is yiddish for fuck), they bleeped
out her name 'schsch*mumble*'. I'm fairly certain, this is the only
time a character's name was bleeped.

snopes

Mar 11, 1992, 2:54:22 AM3/11/92

In article <krr3ub...@early-bird.think.com>,
bar...@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes...

>What's wrong with those lines?

>SNL had an entire sketch, set in a nudist colony, where the jioke was that
>everyone referred to each other's penis, e.g. "Boy, that's a nice penis
>you've got, Jim."

Yes, but when the "Wayne's World" movie airs on network TV, it's not going to
be at 11:30 PM.

- snopes

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| NOTE: This signature for adults only. Sale to minors prohibited.
| All characters 18 years of age or older. For private home use only.
| Any other use, copying, reproduction or performance in public, in
| whole or in part, will be prosecuted.
|
| + David Mikkelson Digital Equipment Corporation, Culver City, CA USA +
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

Andy Fraser

Mar 11, 1992, 12:31:57 PM3/11/92

>The one that cracked me up is Madalyn Kahn's character in the movie
>was named Lilly von Schtup (schtup is yiddish for fuck), they bleeped
>out her name 'schsch*mumble*'. I'm fairly certain, this is the only
>time a character's name was bleeped.

Yup and also the scene where Lily and Clevon Little are alone
in the dark - she says "It's twuw; it's twue". His reply was
cut from the movie (I'm told);

"Lady, you're sucking on my arm!"

Andy Fraser fra...@siamez.dec.com
--or-- ...!decwrl!css.dec.com!fraser
--or-- fraser%siame...@decwrl.dec.com
--or-- SIAMEZ::FRASER

+===========================================================+
| Alligator sandwich, and make it _snappy_! |
| Because |
| CROC'n'ROLL is here to stay! |
+===========================================================+

CMDT...@uiamvs.bitnet

Mar 11, 1992, 3:11:49 PM3/11/92

writes:

>One of my favorites was in 'The Jerk' when Navin (Steve Martin) was writing
>home about his first 'blow job'. His mother reads the letter, "Oh, by the
way,
>Patty gave me my first blow job." But on T.V., they cut out the word 'blow'.
>Navin's older brother starts cracking up after mom reads the letter and if you
>hadn't seen the real version, I'm sure it would be confusing as to why he is
>laughing...

On a WGN broadcast of Porky's (I myself saw the Broadway version with the young
Olivier as Tommy Turner) the shower scene was altered so that it was a tongue
that was stuck through the peep hole. My sheltered went-to-an-all-boys-school
roommate couldn't understand what the big deal was about Bulah demanding to see
a line up of tongues. Kind of wrecked the scene dramatically, especially after
seeing Olivier.

Chris R

Matthew P Wiener

Mar 11, 1992, 3:25:29 PM3/11/92
In article <61...@shodha.enet.dec.com>, fraser@level (Andy Fraser) writes:
> Yup and also the scene where Lily and Clevon Little are alone
> in the dark - she says "It's twuw; it's twue". His reply was
> cut from the movie (I'm told);

> "Lady, you're sucking on my arm!"

Pretty funny, but it was not in the movie. It may have been a joke that
they cut, or something, or more likely, your friends are pulling your leg.
--
-Matthew P Wiener (wee...@libra.wistar.upenn.edu)

Craig Becker

Mar 10, 1992, 4:13:00 PM3/10/92
The teevee version of _Scarface_: "Thank you!" "No, don't thank me,
thank you!" etc etc etc.

Craig
-- "To every man is given the Craig Becker, Object Technology Products --
-- key to the gates of heaven; Internet: cra...@ot.austin.ibm.com --
-- the same key opens the gates Austin: cra...@woofer.austin.ibm.com --
-- of hell" - Buddhist proverb VNET: CRAIGB at AUSVM1 --

The Ahkond of Swat

Mar 11, 1992, 8:52:16 PM3/11/92
In article <69...@netnews.upenn.edu> wee...@libra.wistar.upenn.edu (Matthew P Wiener) writes:
>In article <61...@shodha.enet.dec.com>, fraser@level (Andy Fraser) writes:

(Sheriff Bart's missing line, cut before release (it's twue!))

>> "Lady, you're sucking on my arm!"
>
>Pretty funny, but it was not in the movie. It may have been a joke that
>they cut, or something, or more likely, your friends are pulling your leg.

When Mel Brooks recently appeared on the NBC show "Later with
Bob Costas", he said that this was cut from the movie, over his
objections. The studio put their collective foot down. According
to Mel, this was the only thing which the studio demanded be removed
from the film.

When Mel told the story, it was simply "You're sucking on my arm".

Bill "Those schnitzengrubens can wipe you out" Sherman

--
Bill Sherman R^n / Z^n = T^n she...@math.ucla.edu
"Every time I see "Fantasia", I see ... different things ..."

The Ahkond of Swat

Mar 11, 1992, 3:42:54 PM3/11/92

Strangely enough, Baron Rolf von Schtupp's name
is NOT bleeped in network broadcasts of "The Great Race".

Perhaps the censors are more on the alert for double entendres in
Mel Brooks' work than Buck Henry's (he did direct it, didn't he?).

(note: spelling in Yiddish is a matter of personal taste. According
to Leo Rosten, it should probably be "shtup". Omitting the 'c' gives
it less of a Germanic feel.)

Bill "Rolfie, you rogue, have you been dueling again?" Sherman

Ron Dippold

Mar 11, 1992, 11:03:21 PM3/11/92
she...@oak.math.ucla.edu (The Ahkond of Swat) writes:
>>was named Lilly von Schtup (schtup is yiddish for fuck), they bleeped
>>out her name 'schsch*mumble*'. I'm fairly certain, this is the only
>>time a character's name was bleeped.

>Strangely enough, Baron Rolf von Schtupp's name
>is NOT bleeped in network broadcasts of "The Great Race".

Nor is it in rebroadcasts of Saturday Night Live, in the beatnik cafe
scene with Steve Martin. And it's not even a name there, but a verb...
--
They were such a progressive couple they tried to adopt a gay baby.

Mike Berger

Mar 12, 1992, 11:41:43 AM3/12/92
bar...@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
>In article <1992Mar10.0...@news.eng.convex.com> da...@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>>I wonder what they'll do with Wayne's World: "This man has no penis" and
>>"He blows goats. I have proof" (quotes may be inexact).

>What's wrong with those lines?

>SNL had an entire sketch, set in a nudist colony, where the jioke was that
>everyone referred to each other's penis, e.g. "Boy, that's a nice penis
>you've got, Jim."

>And David Letterman used to have a running joke about the fact that he
>wasn't allowed to use the phrase "blow me". He kept using it, and wasn't
>bleeped.

*----
Letterman also had a long camera shot of a statue (M's David?). As
the camera zoomed in, Letterman commented that it was the first time
a penis was shown on network television.

Bug Guts

Mar 12, 1992, 2:25:02 PM3/12/92
> And David Letterman used to have a running joke about the fact that he
> wasn't allowed to use the phrase "blow me". He kept using it, and wasn't
> bleeped.

I'm pretty sure it was "bite me". I think it began with "Flunky the Clown".
Someone wrote in "Dear Dave, Flunky sucks!" and Dave thanked the viewer for
writing and said that NBC wanted to give Flunky a chance to respond. Bill
Wendell read this long, funny, almost legal-sounding disclaimer ("In the
interest of fairness, NBC and its parent company ... equal time ... The
opinions expressed by Flunky do not necessarily represent those of NBC,
...") that probably ended with something about the National Council of
Churches, like most of their disclaimers do. So after about two minutes of
policy reading, Flunky takes a cigarette out of his mouth and says,
"Hey, you little weasel, bite me!" I think they followed it with another
minute of disclaiming and policy reading. It was really funny. Then it
went like this:

Dave: "Hey, Paul, that was the last 'bite me', you know."
Paul: "Huh?"
Dave: "We can't say 'bite me' anymore."
Paul: "We can't say what?"
Dave: "'Bite me'. We had a long talk with the lawyers this afternoon
and they said we could only say 'bite me' one more time and that
was it. It's the new NBC 'bite me' clause."

and, of course, this went on and on with Dave saying 'bite me' about 50
more times.

Well, that's how I remember it, but it's been several years. Anybody seen
it recently in re-runs?

Flunky was about the only running character that was hilarious every time
he was on. Too bad the writer who portrayed him left the show.

I hope "Shakes the Clown" is half as good.

Mike "Bugguts" Bacigalupi
(m...@bugs.aero.org)

"I am skin and bones, I am pointy nose!
But it mother@#$!in' makes me try!"

-- J.'s A.

Thomas Hyer

Mar 12, 1992, 10:39:04 AM3/12/92
In article <17...@awdprime.UUCP>, jlpi...@woofer.austin.ibm.com (Craig Becker)
says:

>The teevee version of _Scarface_: "Thank you!" "No, don't thank me,
>thank you!" etc etc etc.

Or for that matter the original _Scarface_:

"Fut you!"
"No, fut you, fut you!"
"Fut you, fut you, fut you!"

Or was it "Fut Chu!"...

Tom Hyer

Ashley Stroupe

Mar 12, 1992, 3:12:55 PM3/12/92
In article <28...@brahms.udel.edu> ro...@brahms.udel.edu (Scott W Roby) writes:
>Blazing Saddles:
>
>"The little bastard shot me in the ass!"
>
>becomes:
>
>"The little... punk shot me in the you-know!"
>
>--
>Scott W. Roby

I noticed this too. I really surprised me, since so many of the other
scenes in the movie were shot twice: one for a PG version and one for
the R version. You can tell because they just aren't dubs, and there are
scenes in each that don't appear in the other. They made two different
movies. I guess they missed this scene and had to dub it, or didn't
feel it was bad enough to change (and then the networks disagreed).

Ashley W. Stroupe Wherever you go, there you are.
astr...@ic.sunysb.edu --Buckaroo Banzai

Lorne Epp

Mar 12, 1992, 6:20:22 PM3/12/92

Worst one I ever heard:

In the TV cut of "Used Cars", "Jesus Christ!" becomes "Cheese and Rice!"

In the TV version of "Midway" a guy, upon learning that his sweetheart
has married someone else, exclaims (choking back tears), "Gosh-darn it!"

Larry Setlow

Mar 12, 1992, 7:50:48 PM3/12/92
[Followups are set to rec.arts.tv]
In article <1992Mar12....@speedy.aero.org> m...@bugs.aero.org (Bug Guts) writes:
somebody writes in <krr3ub...@early-bird.think.com>:

> And David Letterman used to have a running joke about the fact that he
> wasn't allowed to use the phrase "blow me".

I'm pretty sure it was "bite me".

Definitely "bite me".

I think it began with "Flunky the Clown".

I don't think it began there; I seem to remember Paul saying "Bite me,
Dave" a number of times prior to the Flunky episode, which sets up the
following a little better:

Dave: "Hey, Paul, that was the last 'bite me', you know."
Paul: "Huh?"

[...]

Flunky was about the only running character that was hilarious every time
he was on. Too bad the writer who portrayed him left the show.

Yeah, Flunky was one funny guy.

My favorite Flunky appearance was in response to a letter from a guy
named John (or something) Plastiras. Dave fumbled with the last name
for a while, finally settling on "PlasterAss" as the preferred
pronunciation, and repeating it several times. This had my stomach
sore from laughter (this was back when I stayed up to watch it (since
I didn't have a vcr then), so things seemed funnier), then when Flunky
came out and did his short bit, I was in tears.

The hell of it is that I can't for the life of me remember what Flunky
said. I'm pretty sure the letter read, "I've lost [or "I'm losing"]
the will to live," but I have no clue about Flunky's reply.

I hope "Shakes the Clown" is half as good.

Who?

ObUL: Flunky (with his emotional and skin disorders) is an accurate
portrayal of circus people in general, and clowns in particular.
--
I am a mutant strain of the .signature virus. Copy me into your
.sig and great things will happen to you. Really. Would I lie?

PETE MARTIN

Mar 13, 1992, 8:34:00 AM3/13/92
In article <1992Mar12....@speedy.aero.org>, m...@bugs.aero.org (Bug Guts) writes...

>> And David Letterman used to have a running joke about the fact that he
>> wasn't allowed to use the phrase "blow me". He kept using it, and wasn't
>> bleeped.
>
>I'm pretty sure it was "bite me". I think it began with "Flunky the Clown".
>Flunky was about the only running character that was hilarious every time
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>he was on. Too bad the writer who portrayed him left the show.
^^^^^^^^^^^
What about THE GUY UNDER THE SEATS???!?!?!?! I think that was hilarious
*every* time it was on. "One of these days mister, you and I are going to
go round and round..."

> -- J.'s A.
* Pete Martin *
* NASA Lewis Research Center *
* Cleveland, OH *
* (216)433-8731 afm...@lims01.lerc.nasa.gov *

Doug Atkinson

Mar 13, 1992, 4:23:46 AM3/13/92
In article <1992Mar9.1...@hemlock.cray.com>, je...@cray.com (Jeff Neau) writes:
> In article <1992Mar9.1...@midway.uchicago.edu> th...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>>> The stupidest silencing I ever heard was in Fox's showing of
>>>_Monty Python and the Holy Grail_, in the Castle Anthrax scene. "And then
>>>the (pause) sex!"
>
> One of my favorites was in 'The Jerk' when Navin (Steve Martin) was writing
> home about his first 'blow job'. His mother reads the letter, "Oh, by the way,
> Patty gave me my first blow job." But on T.V., they cut out the word 'blow'.
> Navin's older brother starts cracking up after mom reads the letter and if you
> hadn't seen the real version, I'm sure it would be confusing as to why he is
> laughing...
Another one I just remembered:

"You are in more dire need of a real job than anyone in history"
(_Good Morning Vietnam_).
Or something like that...I'm pretty sure they cut the "white man"
part of the original as well as mauling the joke beyond all recognition anyway.
--Doug

Stephen Jonke

Mar 13, 1992, 1:01:11 PM3/13/92
In article <13MAR199...@lims04.lerc.nasa.gov>, afm...@lims04.lerc.nasa.gov (PETE MARTIN) writes:

> In article <1992Mar12....@speedy.aero.org>, m...@bugs.aero.org (Bug Guts) writes...
> >> And David Letterman used to have a running joke about the fact that he
> >> wasn't allowed to use the phrase "blow me". He kept using it, and wasn't
> >> bleeped.
> >
> >I'm pretty sure it was "bite me". I think it began with "Flunky the Clown".
> >Flunky was about the only running character that was hilarious every time
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >he was on. Too bad the writer who portrayed him left the show.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
> What about THE GUY UNDER THE SEATS???!?!?!?! I think that was hilarious
> *every* time it was on. "One of these days mister, you and I are going to
> go round and round..."

Both were characters by the same guy -- Chris Elliot. He was primarily a
writer and I think that although DL is still one of the best things on TV,
it definitely lost alot when Elliot left. He went on to do the unsuccessful
Get A Life series on the Fox network -- the last episode was on last
weekend. Hopefully he'll go back to DL now.

Why are we talking about this in rec.arts.movies anyway?

Steve

Matthew P Wiener

Mar 13, 1992, 12:13:00 PM3/13/92
In article <1992Mar12....@mala.bc.ca>, epp@mala (Lorne Epp) writes:
>In the TV cut of "Used Cars", "Jesus Christ!" becomes "Cheese and Rice!"

I know of some rabbis who only say "Cheese and Rice" or even "Mr Rice".
I've also seen a Jewish group set up a table next to a Jews for J***s
group. The Jewish group had a "Jews for Cheeses" sign up and lots of
cheese samples.

Larry Setlow

Mar 13, 1992, 3:18:35 PM3/13/92
[Followups set to rec.arts.tv]

In article <1992Mar13....@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov> jo...@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Stephen Jonke) writes:
In article <13MAR199...@lims04.lerc.nasa.gov>, afm...@lims04.lerc.nasa.gov (PETE MARTIN) writes:

> What about THE GUY UNDER THE SEATS???!?!?!?! I think that was hilarious
> *every* time it was on. "One of these days mister, you and I are going to
> go round and round..."

Both were characters by the same guy -- Chris Elliot.

Flunky was not Chris Elliot. I think he wasn't Matt Wickline or Sandy
Frank either, but when the Flunky writer left (to write for _In Living
Color_; Flunky and Homey are the creations of the same guy (this is
from an interview with one of the Wayanses, (probably) on Costas's
show)), the last bumper shot on the show was "Good luck [insert
non-Elliot name]" over a photo of Flunky. Tall blond guy, but I seem
to be blocking on his name.

Life...

Mar 13, 1992, 3:09:03 PM3/13/92
da...@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) writes:

>>@ () writes:

>>> "You cost 200 bucks damage to my car, you son of a butthead."
>>>(_Back to the Future_)

>Sigh. Bitch is just fine on TV now, and has been used as far back as
>Gilda Rander's Emily Latella character on SNL.

Indeed, on an episode of Herman's Head, there was a scene where (name
eludes me, does voice for Maggie Simpson) says that "you can't say
circumstances you can say son of a bitch." <hangup, walked to Herman>
"Herman you SON of a BITCH!"

--
/// ____ \\\ | CAUTION:
| |/ / \ \| | | Avoid eye contact. In case of contact, flush
\\_|\____/|_// | mind for 15 minutes. See a psychiatrist if
\_)\\/ | irritation persists. Not to be taken
gberigan `-' cse.unl.edu | seriously. Keep out of sight of children.

S. Mudgett aka little gator

Mar 13, 1992, 10:56:12 AM3/13/92

In article <40...@shamash.cdc.com> dte...@duke.cdc.com
(David Ternes) writes:
(Sender was: use...@shamash.cdc.com)

> I get kind of sad everytime I hear the dog called Stupid instead of Shithead.

i knew a cat named shitface once and have known dogs named shithead, pus, and
boobs. (the things you learn working for a vet).

has anyone ever met someone famous who had an unusually named dog?
--
-- little gator aka S. Mudgett email: s...@harvee.uucp
-- friend of a gator is a friend of mine

S. Mudgett aka little gator

Mar 13, 1992, 11:03:18 AM3/13/92

> >Blazing Saddles:
> >
> >"The little bastard shot me in the ass!"
> >
> >becomes:
> >
> >"The little... punk shot me in the you-know!"

worse than that, in the fart scene, horses whinnying are substituted for
fart sounds.

Gary Double Time Huckabay

Mar 13, 1992, 7:31:42 PM3/13/92
jo...@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Stephen Jonke) writes:
>> >I'm pretty sure it was "bite me". I think it began with "Flunky the Clown".
>> >Flunky was about the only running character that was hilarious every time
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> >he was on. Too bad the writer who portrayed him left the show.
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^
>> What about THE GUY UNDER THE SEATS???!?!?!?! I think that was hilarious
>> *every* time it was on. "One of these days mister, you and I are going to
>> go round and round..."
>
>Both were characters by the same guy -- Chris Elliot. He was primarily a
>writer and I think that although DL is still one of the best things on TV,
>it definitely lost alot when Elliot left. He went on to do the unsuccessful
>Get A Life series on the Fox network -- the last episode was on last
>weekend. Hopefully he'll go back to DL now.

Chris Elliott was indeed The Guy Under the Seats, but was NOT, repeat,
NOT, Flunky the Late Night Clown. [tm]

Elliott also immortalized The Conspiracy Guy (The very first running
'guy' character), The Regulator Guy, and several other 'guy'
characters.

But then again, since your question is of a technical nature, let's
take you to Jimmy Fitzgerald in 'Technician's Corner.'

"All you need is a 2"x4", some 12-inch nails, and the element of
surprise. With a little ingenuity, you'll even have some pies left
over for yourself."

"I call this one 'The Cookout.'"

--
* Gary Huckabay * "It's not just something deep inside my head... *
* "He comes to play." * It's not just for the Dead." *

Greg Bole

Mar 13, 1992, 6:12:26 PM3/13/92
>(name eludes me, does voice for Maggie Simpson)

Maggie Simpson? You mean the one time she said "Moe!" in the
"Flaming Moe" episode? :^)

I think you meant Lisa Simpson... (not a flame, just saw a good set-up)

Greg Bole "Remember Bart, you said you'd Moe the lawn."
bo...@hmivax.humgen.upenn.edu "Sure Mom, but you said you'd pay me Moe money."
"Moe moe moe-moe, moe Moe moe. Moe moe-moe."

Stephanie da Silva

Mar 13, 1992, 2:19:26 PM3/13/92
In article <1992Mar12.2...@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, astr...@engws8.ic.sunysb.edu (Ashley Stroupe) writes:
> >Blazing Saddles:
>
> Really surprised me, since so many of the other scenes in the movie were
> shot twice: one for a PG version and one for the R version. You can tell
> because they just aren't dubs, and there are scenes in each that don't
> appear in the other. They made two different movies.

They did that with the movie "10" too.

A couple notable scenes: the one where Dudley Moore goes over to the
house across the way and attends the "orgy." In the movie version,
they're all running around three-quarters nekkid, but in the televised
version, they're wearing bathing suits and more.

Then at the very end during the seduction scene when Dudley asks Bo
what she likes to do to Prokovief, she answers, "Make love."
Lost a lot of impact in the translation, somehow...
--
Stephanie da Silva Taronga Park * Houston, Texas
ari...@taronga.com 568-0480 568-1032

snopes

Mar 13, 1992, 3:30:17 PM3/13/92

In article <231...@harvee.UUCP>,
s...@harvee.UUCP (S. Mudgett aka little gator) writes...

>has anyone ever met someone famous who had an unusually named dog?

I believe Winston Churchill did.

- snopes

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| | |
| David P. Mikkelson | Just when my ant farm started showing a |
| Digital Equipment Corporation | profit, an ant bank foreclosed on it. |
| Culver City, CA USA | |
| | |
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

snopes

Mar 13, 1992, 3:25:52 PM3/13/92

In article <1992Mar12.2...@sbcs.sunysb.edu>,
astr...@engws8.ic.sunysb.edu (Ashley Stroupe) writes:

> Really surprised me, since so many of the other scenes in the movie were
> shot twice: one for a PG version and one for the R version. You can tell
> because they just aren't dubs, and there are scenes in each that don't
> appear in the other. They made two different movies.

This is common practice. I once watched the filming of part of a movie shot
on location near where I lived. They filmed the same scene twice, once with
four-letter words, and once without.

- snopes

| "Unfortunate indeed is the man who works for a firm covered by insurance, |
| for even his slightest injury may result in cancer." |
| -- R. Crane |
| "The Relationship of a Single Act of Trauma to Subsequent Malignancy" (1959)|
| David P. Mikkelson Digital Equipment Corporation Culver City, CA USA |

George Fergus

Mar 13, 1992, 4:45:09 PM3/13/92
In article <13MAR199...@lims04.lerc.nasa.gov>
afm...@lims04.lerc.nasa.gov (PETE MARTIN) writes
re the David Letterman show:

>What about THE GUY UNDER THE SEATS???!?!?!?! I think that was hilarious
>*every* time it was on. "One of these days mister, you and I are going to
>go round and round..."

Wasn't that Chris Elliott, now starring in GET A LIFE?

Scott the Great

Mar 14, 1992, 1:59:16 AM3/14/92
In article <1992Mar13.2...@lmpsbbs.mot.com>,

Yep, but he couldn't hold a candle to "The Regulator Guy" and his awesome
go-cart, weaponry and situational music from Escape from New York.

Scott

"Shift your fat ass Henry, but slowly, or you'll swamp the damned boat!"
-George Washington

It is loading more messages.