The infamous routing codes..

David M. Davis - Public Safety

Jun 14, 1993, 3:53:24 AM6/14/93
Whoa... I posted the story told to me about the racial epitaths
being routing codes created by the goverment. I have received
everything from mild rebukes to some Emails that melted the access
port. I apologise to everyone who became offended by the post. I
posted in the hopes of a confirmation or refutation of the story.
Since it has caused such a stink, I will research it and Email the
results to anyone who requests it. Once again my profound apologies.

David, Round Eyes, Honky, Racist, &^%(*^$%(*, Davis
dav...@ucs.orst.edu
a humbled sig

Terry Chan

Jun 14, 1993, 4:52:59 AM6/14/93
dav...@ucs.orst.edu (David M. Davis - Public Safety) writes:
+Whoa... I posted the story told to me about the racial epitaths
^^^^^^^^
+being routing codes created by the goverment. I have received
+everything from mild rebukes to some Emails that melted the access
+port. I apologise to everyone who became offended by the post. I
+posted in the hopes of a confirmation or refutation of the story.
+Since it has caused such a stink, I will research it and Email the
+results to anyone who requests it. Once again my profound apologies.

I dunno, David, I haven't seen "CHINC" on too many tombstones lately.

Hm. That's too bad. It seemed like a reasonably asked question,
though certainly one where the follow-ups are ripe for abuse. But
it's not like it hardly happens here. Sheesh! Wonder how some
folklorist like Dundes could ever write a book like _Cracking Jokes_.

Terry "Here I sit broken hearted...oh, wait...that's not an epitath" Chan
--
Energy and Environment Division | Internet: TWC...@lbl.gov
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory |

Phil Gustafson

Jun 15, 1993, 2:20:31 PM6/15/93
dav...@ucs.orst.edu (David M. Davis - Public Safety) writes:

+Whoa... I posted the story told to me about the racial epitaths
^^^^^^^^
+being routing codes created by the goverment. I have received
+everything from mild rebukes to some Emails that melted the access
+port. I apologise to everyone who became offended by the post. I
+posted in the hopes of a confirmation or refutation of the story.
+Since it has caused such a stink, I will research it and Email the
+results to anyone who requests it. Once again my profound apologies.

I don't think any apologies are necessary. These words exist: they
are legitimate objects for study. These words have have caused
suffering: learning about them is more likely, I think, to defang them
a bit than to encourage their use. A hundred years or so ago, my
grandparents could have been called "squareheads" or "herring chokers".
With any luck, the slurs you mentioned will soon sound just as silly.

Your acronymic etymology was, as I posted, bogus, but that's all right.
Hell, if none of us posted till we knew we were right, the group
would be pretty dull. And we wouldn't hear a word from Bill Nelson.

Terry Chan, of course, agrees with me:

>I dunno, David, I haven't seen "CHINC" on too many tombstones lately.

Straight out of "Phil's New Netiquette": No spelling flames unless they're
funny.

>Hm. That's too bad. It seemed like a reasonably asked question,
>though certainly one where the follow-ups are ripe for abuse. But
>it's not like it hardly happens here. Sheesh! Wonder how some
>folklorist like Dundes could ever write a book like _Cracking Jokes_.

An ideal reference. In fact, I think I'll post a brief review and
ISBN for that fine work, as soon as I find the damn thing.

Phil
--
| ph...@rahul.net Phil Gustafson 408-286-1749 |
| How many boards would the Mongols hoard if the Mongol hordes got bored? |

S. Mudgett aka little gator

Jun 16, 1993, 9:53:02 AM6/16/93
In <C8oDM...@rahul.net>, Phil Gustafson writes:

>a bit than to encourage their use. A hundred years or so ago, my
>grandparents could have been called "squareheads"

can you explain the derivation of this one?

less than 20 years ago, my grandfatherinlaw called himself that.
--
-- little gator aka s. mudgett email: s...@harvee.billerica.ma.us
-- friend of a gator is a friend of mine

Paul Tomblin

Jun 16, 1993, 5:07:13 PM6/16/93
s...@harvee.billerica.ma.us (S. Mudgett aka little gator) writes:
>In <C8oDM...@rahul.net>, Phil Gustafson writes:
>>a bit than to encourage their use. A hundred years or so ago, my
>>grandparents could have been called "squareheads"
>can you explain the derivation of this one?
>less than 20 years ago, my grandfatherinlaw called himself that.

A girl from Quebec told me that Franco Canadians call Anglo Canadians
"square-heads". Mind you, she also told me that we supposedly call them
"pea soupers".

Gee - I always called them "frogs" up until then....

Paul "Will not insult cute female franco-canadians for anything" Tomblin

Warren Burstein

Jun 15, 1993, 6:45:12 AM6/15/93

>Terry "Here I sit broken hearted...oh, wait...that's not an epitath" Chan

That was you? I thought it was society!
--
/|/-\/-\ In real life, the Vice President chastises Murphey Brown
|__/__/_/ for her morals. Bill Clinton plays the sax on "Arsenio
|warren@ Hall." Though "Batman Returns" is fiction, it's not too
/ nysernet.org much stranger than truth - Caryn James, The New York Times

R Clement

Jun 17, 1993, 8:02:11 AM6/17/93
In article <H.eg.cJa...@harvee.billerica.ma.us> s...@harvee.billerica.ma.us writes:
>In <C8oDM...@rahul.net>, Phil Gustafson writes:
>
>>a bit than to encourage their use. A hundred years or so ago, my
>>grandparents could have been called "squareheads"
>
>can you explain the derivation of this one?
>
>less than 20 years ago, my grandfatherinlaw called himself that.

Less than 5 years ago Iggy Pop sang "I ain't gonna be no squarehead".
(the song may have been co-written by Steve Jones, ex-pistol, though).

Cheers,

Ross-c

Hans Huttel

Jun 17, 1993, 11:05:03 AM6/17/93

Interestingly enough, James Jewell Osterberg (= Iggy Pop)'s
grandparents were Danish and Norwegian. Is he trying to play down his own
Nordicness?

--
Hans Huttel email: ha...@dcs.ed.ac.uk
LFCS, Dept. of Computer Science

Ray Depew

Jun 17, 1993, 3:42:33 PM6/17/93
In alt.folklore.urban, ab...@freenet.carleton.ca (Paul Tomblin) writes:

> A girl from Quebec told me that Franco Canadians call Anglo Canadians
> "square-heads". Mind you, she also told me that we supposedly call them
> "pea soupers".
>
> Gee - I always called them "frogs" up until then....

Bien oui. We were all "te^tes-carree's." I never heard the "pea soupers"
one, although we definitely told a lot of jokes involving pea soup and people
with names like Jean-Jacques. "Frog" was one of the first victims of
Political Correctness in this century, at least in H'bury.

> Paul "Will not insult cute female franco-canadians for anything" Tomblin

Ray "yeah, what he said -- it's more fun to flirt with them" Depew