Cannibalism

1 view

Kathy P.

Sep 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/6/97

The portion of Oliver Sacks' book "The Island of the Colorblind" , which I
mentioned in regard to Spam and cannibalism is as follows:"(L)ater, when I
came to read Paul Theroux's book _The Happy Isles of Oceania_, I found his
hypothesis about this universal Spam mania:
'It was a theory of mine that former cannibals of Oceania now feasted on
Spam because Spam came the nearest to approximating the porky taste of human
flesh. "Long pig" as they called a cooked human being in much of Melanesia.
It was a fact that the people-eaters of the Pacific had all evolved, or
perhaps degenerated , into Spam-eaters. And in the absence of Spam they
settled for corned beef, which also had a corpsy flavor.'"
Sacks adds below this story - "So far as I knew, though, there was no
tradition of cannibalism on Pingelap." That was the island on which some of
the color blind whom he was studying lived - and ate Spam.....
There was a footnote directly noted after "Pingelap", however, I did not
copy that. Anyone who is interested this cite is from the book mentioned
above and Spam is noted and footnoted on page 49.
Kathy "I used to like Spam" Pearlman

Pete Fraser

Sep 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/7/97

In article <5ussiu$lhv$1...@newsfep3.sprintmail.com>, "Kathy P."
<kath...@sprintmail.com> wrote:

> The portion of Oliver Sacks' book "The Island of the Colorblind" , which I
>mentioned in regard to Spam and cannibalism is as follows:"(L)ater, when I
>came to read Paul Theroux's book _The Happy Isles of Oceania_, I found his
>hypothesis about this universal Spam mania:
>'It was a theory of mine that former cannibals of Oceania now feasted on
>Spam because Spam came the nearest to approximating the porky taste of human
>flesh. "Long pig" as they called a cooked human being in much of Melanesia.
>It was a fact that the people-eaters of the Pacific had all evolved, or
>perhaps degenerated , into Spam-eaters. And in the absence of Spam they
>settled for corned beef, which also had a corpsy flavor.'"
>Sacks adds below this story - "So far as I knew, though, there was no
>tradition of cannibalism on Pingelap." That was the island on which some of
>the color blind whom he was studying lived - and ate Spam.....
>There was a footnote directly noted after "Pingelap"

[21]

"Canninalism," wrote Stevenson, "is traced from end to end of the Pacific,
from the Marquesas to New Guinea, from New Zealand to Hawaii.... All Melanesia
seems tainted...[but] in Micronesia, in the Marshalls, with which my
acquaintance is no more than that of a tourist...I could find no trace at all."

But Stevenson never visited the Carolines, and O'Connell does claim to
have witnessed cannibalism on one of Pingelap's sister atolls, Pakin
(which he calls Wellington Island):

I did not believe, till my visit, that the natives of Wellington Island
were cannibals; then I had an occular demonstration. It seemed with
them an ungovernable passion, the victims being not only captives,
but presents to the chiefs from parents, who appeared to esteem the
acceptance of their children, for a purpose so horrid, an honor.
Wellington Island...is, in fact, three islands, bounded by a reef.
One of them is inhabited, and the other two are uninhabited spots,
claimed by different chiefs, as to afford a pretext for war, and
the gratification of their horrible passion for human flesh.

--
To get random signatures put text files into a folder called ³Random Signatures² into your Preferences folder.

MichaelOMS

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

Sorry, I'm not going to even attempt an accurate quote of the previous
postings. However, I will feel free to comment without authority on
Spam-eating stemming from former cannibalism. If this were to be the case,
how then to explain Spam being a part of native Hawaiian islanders current
diet? I know many Hawaiians who stir-fry Spam and eat it with eggs, or rice
and that seaweed stuff that sushi is wrapped in (I forget its name).
Because Spam is a cheap and easily stored food, I though that it would be
more accessible to poor, colonized native islanders than other meats. It
seems to me that this social situation would also apply in other Pacific
islands. Comments?

Michael Cole

TMOliver

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

MichaelOMS wrote:

If this were to be the case,
> how then to explain Spam being a part of native Hawaiian islanders current
> diet?

I guess, prior to the exploitation of tourists at imitation Polynesian
barbecues and ukelele music, they must have practiced a bit of
cannibalism...a bit of long pig garnished with pineapple chunks.

> Because Spam is a cheap and easily stored food, I though that it would be
> more accessible to poor, colonized native islanders than other meats. It
> seems to me that this social situation would also apply in other Pacific
> islands. Comments?

Easily stored, yes, cheap, no. Since the inhabitants of other pacific
islands were likely exposed by the Brits earlier on to the joys of bully
(corned) beef, why didn't that delightful delicacy have greater impact?

Simply put, the popularity of Spam dates to the vast forced migration of
US Servicemen, 1942-45, who, true to Napoleonic maxim, traveled on their
stomachs and treated the indigenes everywhere to the distribution (real
or by cumshaw) of Spam, the first "stowable" meat to hit the beach in
large, widely distributed quantities. Spam is no reminder of a cannibal
past, only of the tender ministrations of Uncle sam unleashed...

--
Famous "BigSig" on leave of absence at nearby "FatFarm" seeking
substantial

Kathy P.

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

MichaelOMS wrote in article
<19970908164...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

>Sorry, I'm not going to even attempt an accurate quote of the previous
>postings. However, I will feel free to comment without authority on

>Spam-eating stemming from former cannibalism. If this were to be the case,

>how then to explain Spam being a part of native Hawaiian islanders current

>diet? I know many Hawaiians who stir-fry Spam and eat it with eggs, or rice
>and that seaweed stuff that sushi is wrapped in (I forget its name).

>Because Spam is a cheap and easily stored food, I though that it would be
>more accessible to poor, colonized native islanders than other meats. It
>seems to me that this social situation would also apply in other Pacific
>islands. Comments?
>

>Michael Cole
Spam isn't cheap or easily available to the tiny countries I found mention
of. In fact, Oliver Sacks was amazed that they went to so much trouble to
get Spam, which in turn led to the story about it being an offshoot of
cannibalism. The truth is not for certain, but those were the allegations I
presented. Native Hawaiians of course had to have come form somewhere else,
BTW, because the Hawaiian Islands are made from volcanoes erupting millions
of years ago, weren't they?
JMHO
Kathy "no potted meat either" Pearlman

Jeremy W. Burgeson

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

TMOliver <swr...@iamerica.net> wrote:
about Spam

>Easily stored, yes, cheap, no. Since the inhabitants of other pacific
>islands were likely exposed by the Brits earlier on to the joys of bully
>(corned) beef, why didn't that delightful delicacy have greater impact?

In the CNMI Spam takes more US Dollars to purchase than it does in
Lincoln Nebraska, USA. But, it takes even more US Dollars to buy fresh
beef and pork there than here. Doesn't make it cheap, but it is quite
reasonably priced in comparison to other meats (except fish, but then
here I am suffering from being a long way from an ocean).

>Simply put, the popularity of Spam dates to the vast forced migration of
>US Servicemen, 1942-45, who, true to Napoleonic maxim, traveled on their
>stomachs and treated the indigenes everywhere to the distribution (real
>or by cumshaw) of Spam, the first "stowable" meat to hit the beach in
>large, widely distributed quantities. Spam is no reminder of a cannibal
>past, only of the tender ministrations of Uncle sam unleashed...

This is from my sister responding to my question about Spam and cannibalism.
"
Jeremy, I think you made the whole Spam thing up. It was given out free
when the U.S. invaded Saipan and totally devastated the island. I've never
heard another version.
"

she also wrote
"
In further response to your _very_ serious question, I am quite sure that
the Chamorros were not cannibals. Can't speak for other Micronesians, however
"

Jeremy

Maggie Newman

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97

Kathy P. <kath...@sprintmail.com> wrote:

>Spam isn't cheap or easily available to the tiny countries I found mention
>of. In fact, Oliver Sacks was amazed that they went to so much trouble to
>get Spam, which in turn led to the story about it being an offshoot of
>cannibalism. The truth is not for certain, but those were the allegations I
>presented. Native Hawaiians of course had to have come form somewhere else,

It's important to note, regarding the selection from Sacks's book that you
quoted earlier (thanks!) that Sacks himself did not put forth any theory
about cannibalism. He was merely quoting Paul Theroux, who is a travel
writer not an anthropologist and quite likely was writing
semi-facetiously in any case.

Maggie "relieved to find my regard for Sacks undiminished" Newman

Seth Deitch

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

On 8 Sep 1997 16:41:22 GMT, micha...@aol.com (MichaelOMS) wrote:

>Sorry, I'm not going to even attempt an accurate quote of the previous
>postings. However, I will feel free to comment without authority on
>Spam-eating stemming from former cannibalism. If this were to be the case,
>how then to explain Spam being a part of native Hawaiian islanders current
>diet? I know many Hawaiians who stir-fry Spam and eat it with eggs, or rice
>and that seaweed stuff that sushi is wrapped in (I forget its name).
>Because Spam is a cheap and easily stored food, I though that it would be
>more accessible to poor, colonized native islanders than other meats. It
>seems to me that this social situation would also apply in other Pacific
>islands. Comments?

Can we truly explain spam eating in anyone? Its a bizarre practice by
almost any standard you might care to set.

>Michael Cole

cbi...@scruznet.com

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

In article <3416c90a...@news.tiac.net>, dok...@SPAMtiac.net (Seth
Deitch) wrote:

The San Jose Mercury News (CA, USA) today (970910) has an article in the
Food Section on Spam sushi.

It is a staple food in Hawai'i and also the Phillipines [1]. My theory is
that it was supplied by the US during wartime and perhaps before since it
is a easily storable source of protein. An acquired taste perhaps, but for
me regular sushi would be one as well.

On a related note, there are often food items, like spam, (and for a
while, Tang) that acquire the status of a punch line or catch phrase.
Mention them and the teller is assured of a laugh. Those who actually do
like them are reluctant to speak up until a few do then others join in the
defense of the item. Spam is being mentioned favorably more and more and
whether this will lead to its rehabilitation I don't know. Trendy
restaurants will hardly serve it in the future, but perhaps I can mention
that I like it in polite company. Not that I would eat a loco moco [2].

[1] In Hawai'i it is served in combination with rice, eggs and others in
most fast food and lower to middle scale restaurants. In the Phillipines,
I'm not sure.

[2] In Hawai'i a quick meal consisting of rice, under spam, under fried
eggs, the whole thing topped with gravy.

Charles, insert Monty Python sketch here, Bishop

John Varela

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

In <cbishop-1009...@cbishop.sc.scruznet.com>, cbi...@scruznet.com
writes:

>On a related note, there are often food items, like spam, (and for a
>while, Tang) that acquire the status of a punch line or catch phrase.
>Mention them and the teller is assured of a laugh. Those who actually do
>like them are reluctant to speak up until a few do then others join in the
>defense of the item.

OK, I'll go first.

I like Spam, as a breakfast meat with eggs with or without grits, and as a
sandwich meat.

John "fried, of course" Varela
(delete . between os2 and bbs to e-mail me)

CKoehnen

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

In article <5v9uds$4...@news1.mnsinc.com>, j...@os2.bbs.com (John Varela) writes:

>OK, I'll go first.
>
>I like Spam, as a breakfast meat with eggs with or without grits, and as a
>sandwich meat.

Hi John, and welcome to your first meeting of People United for
Konsumption of Emetics, most commonly reffered to as PUKE. Thank you for
being so honest with us, and sharing your secret. You can feel comfortable
with us here, we won't judge you. Be sure to stick around after the
meeting for flemwiches and warmed racoon urine.

Yours upheavingly

CKoehnen

mitcho

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

Seth Deitch wrote:

> Can we truly explain spam eating in anyone? Its a bizarre practice by
> almost any standard you might care to set.

Backpackers having gone for several days eating only dehydrated food
will fall upon Spam with voracious abandon.

Mitcho
Been there, ate that

Rick Tyler

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:41:14 -0700, mitcho <mit...@netcom.com> wrote:

:
I believe you misltpted "fall upon water" &tc.

-- Rick "The bird croaked 'water' and died" Tyler

The Microsoft motto is, "Quality is Job 1.1."

Visit the FAQ and TAFKAC at www.urbanlegends.com.

Bo Bradham

Sep 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/15/97

I have nothing to add to this thread, except to offer evidence in
support of my theory that any book you read will be liable to have some
afu-relevance.

In "Fiddling Georgia Crazy," the biography of "Fiddling John"
Carson, the following dialogue from one of Carson's comedy skits
is presented:

Revenuer: Where is he [Carson]? We've found his liquor, now we
have to arrest him.

Carson's daughter: Well, that's all you can do. You can't eat
him, 'cause then you'd have more brains in your stomach than you
have in your head.

That's from "You Can't Get Milk From a Cow Named Ben" by the way.

Bo "what's relevance got to do with anything?" Bradham
--
"If it's their mistake, tough. If it's our mistake we negotiate."
- Overheard

Jredwine

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97
to cr...@pacific.net.sg

you wrote:

> micha...@aol.com (MichaelOMS) wrote:
>
> > I know many Hawaiians who stir-fry Spam and eat it with eggs, or rice
> >and that seaweed stuff that sushi is wrapped in (I forget its name).
>
> It's called "seaweed".
>
> Cheers,
>

> -- Craig
You may think youebeing witty, but the word Michael was thinking of was
"Nori" which is a type of processed seaweed made for wrapping sushi in.

--Jennifer

Unknown

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97

Jredwine <jred...@berksys.com> cost the Net hundreds, if not
thousands of dollars writing in <3426B4...@berksys.com>:

>you wrote:
>> micha...@aol.com (MichaelOMS) wrote:
>>
>> > I know many Hawaiians who stir-fry Spam and eat it with eggs, or rice
>> >and that seaweed stuff that sushi is wrapped in (I forget its name).
>>
>> It's called "seaweed".
>>

>You may think youebeing witty, but the word Michael was thinking of was
>"Nori" which is a type of processed seaweed made for wrapping sushi in.

You may think you're smart by knowing the Japanese word for the stuff,
but I happen to know what it's called in English: toasted seaweed.
Said so on the wrapper.
+-- Hans Derycke -- If you don't know my address, I don't want your mail --+
This space intentionally left blank for obnoxious shrill bitchmatic
Feminazis to insert poor joke -- Mike Holmans