lake ghost #1

SageMonk1

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
We built a house on a lake in Michigan. The house is actually on an island in
the lake, no roads on the island, no roads to the island. You have to get
there by boat. There are 10 houses on this island & about 10 empty (wooded)
lots, plus the center of the island is wooded, no houses.
When we were first building, my kids & I found some really old (prob. from the
40s or 50s) marbles in the water, right up by shore where we were putting in
our dock. Sorry this isn't exciting yet, have to give a little background
first.
Well, we have been seeing the ghost of a man on the island for about 12 years
now. My daughter first saw him one day...yes in the day...while we were
walking around the island. She asked me "Mommy, who is that man"? I didn't
see anyone, but she said she saw a man sort of standing behind a tree, with a
large black bag in his hand. He had a hat & a long coat on that came down just
past his knees. I thought he might be a neighbor, but when we got to his
house, he was mowing his yard in shorts & no shirt (no hat either). Well, I
didn't know what/who she saw, so we sort of just "dropped it".
About a year later, my son started seeing the same man at night. We had
finally gotten the house finished enough to actually live in & many nights I
would hear footsteps comming up the stairs (outside), walking across the deck &
then down the path. At first, I figured it was one of our neighbors, but this
happened even when we were alone on the island. I was sleeping there with my
kids one night. I was having a very vivid dream and in it, I was watching a
man checking out our boats on the dock. He then started walking up the stairs
to our deck. It was night in my dream & because of the shadows made by the
moonlight on the trees, shadows covered part of him as he came up the steps.
In my dream, I watched him walk up the steps& onto the deck. He walked across
the deck, stopped and looked into the windows. Just then, my son woke me up
saying "Mommy, Mommy, there is a a magical man on the deck!" I asked him what
he ment & he described exactally what I was seeing in my dream, a man in a long
dark coat & a hat comming slowly up the stairs, onto the deck & looking in our
windows! I asked him what was magical about the man & Jake (my son) said "I
could hear him walking, but he had no legs". In my dream, the shadows covered
him from the waist down, so I couldn't see his legs while he was on the deck!
It was like Jake was seeing exactally what I had been dreaming, or was dreaming
what he was seeing!
Well, from then on, my son started sleeping in the living room almost every
night. He would sleep there so he could see the "magical man". The man always
did the same thing, walk up the steps, across the deck, pause to look in the
windows & then go off the deck & down the path. When I found out Jake was
sleeping in the living room just to see the man, it really bugged me, I didn't
want him becomming friendly with a ghost! But Jake was never afraid of the
man, he said he felt the man was just comming to check on us, make sure
everything was ok. My daughter saw him a few times too, and said it was the
same man she had seen in the woods that one day. But, she was afraid & would
not sleep in the living room very often because of it. I continued to hear the
footsteps on the stairs, deck & down the path.
This went on for years & we tried to find out who the man could be. There is
another island on the lake, right across from us, called Snake Island by
everyone on the lake, but maps lable it as Strawberry Island. A friend
happened to give us an old map of the lake & we saw that Snake Island was
labled Scout Island on that map. We asked around about that & found an
explination for our ghost I think.
Back in the early 50s, Scout Island was owned by the Boy Scouts & they used to
camp out there. One night, while they were camping, really big storm came up.
The wind & lightening was really strong & because of the fear of fire &
falling trees, the scout master decided to get the boys off the island. Back
then, they used large row boats to cross the island. The scout master got all
the boys in the boat & started rowing for the main land. They didn't make it,
all 8 boys and the scout master drowned. I don't know for sure where the boat
sunk, & I assume they recovered all the bodies. After hearing that story &
since then finding several written accounts of the event, we decided our ghost
might be the scout master. Maybe he really is just "checking on Jake", making
sure he is ok. Jake has always had the feeling that the man was just checking
on him. I think the marbles we found were "boy scout marbles".
We continue to see the scout leader on a regular basis every summer. I have
also seen what I think is the boy scout boat a few times. I like to sit on the
dock at night & one night while sitting there, watching the stars, I noticed a
long boat about about midway between our island & snake island. The boat was
in the shadow of snake island & had no lights on. thought "what are those guys
doing?" So, I shined my flashlight on the boat & when I did, the part of the
boat that should have been in the light, was NOT THERE! There was nothing
there, but the part of the boat my light was not shining on, WAS! I could see
1/2 of a boat! I freaked & ran up to the house. But, since then, I have seen
the boat a few more times & am not so scared. It just "floats" in the shadows
between our island & snake island. When it gets past snake island, it
disappears.
Sorry this was so long, & I will tell the story of the other ghost on the
island another time.
SageMonk

kar...@webtv.net

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
very cool story!! i am going to have to look on the map to see where
this is..

i can't wait to hear the next story!!!

karlii (who lives in the U.P.!)

Richard Kiene

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
Weird!!!

scratchie

VegasGrrrrl_Carlina_Mindspring

Sep 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/2/98
Awesome story...can't wait to hear the others! :)

~C

SageMonk1 wrote in message
<199809021242...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

LITTLEPJoo

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
Absolutely fantastic! How were you not scared to see this???
PJ

PAdams4232

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
I enjoyed reading your "story" : ) It gave me the shivers but they were not the
bad/scared shivers : ). They were the good/safe shivers.

Thanks Again,
Paula
(I enjoy this newsgroup-glad I found it awhile ago : ))

**We built a house on a lake in Michigan. The house is actually on an island

SageMonk1

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
Glad you liked the story of our Scout Leader. BTW, we call him Dick Tracy
because several years after my son started seeing him, the movie Dick Tracy
came out. Jake had gotten a happy meal or something & it came with a sticker
of Dick Tracy inside. It was a square deep blue sticker with a big yellow
"moon". On this moon was the black sillowet (sp..sorry) of Dick Tracy's head,
hat & all. Jake's eyes got real big when he saw it & said, "that's him! that's
him Mom, the man who watches over me!" So, we have called him Dick Tracy since
then. Jake stuck the sticker on his bunk bed.
Karlii, you are from the UP!? My absolute favorite place in the whole world!
Jake wants to live there when he grows up! Our lake is in S.W. Michigan, not
too far from St. Joe.

John Patrick Riley

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
If I can just jump in here, I'd like to say "hi" to all you Michigan people from
Vassar, Michigan (in the "thumb" part of the Lower peninsula.) Unfortunately,
things are slow here ghost-wise. :) -John

SageMonk1

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
Hi John,
Glad to know you are here! The "thumb" is a really pretty area! But then, I
think all of Michigan is!
SageMonk
ps...looking forward to hearing your stories.

Heather FitzGerald

Sep 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/3/98
Hi, just thought I'd chime in and say hello to all the other Michiganders!
I am in Kalamazoo which is in the SW part of the state, about a half an
hour from the Lake Michigan shoreline. In fact we're not too far from St.
Joe and Sagemok's lake I think. Unfortunately I don't know of any hauntings
around the Kalamazoo area but if I find out about any I'll be sure to pass
them on!

In article <199809031429...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
sage...@aol.com (SageMonk1) wrote:

--
"How sweet to be a cloud, floating in the blue, every little cloud should
always sing aloud." WTP

SageMonk1

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
Hi Fitz! You are right, Kalamazoo is not too far from our lake, we are about
20 - 30 min. from the shore line (Lake Michigan) too, but south of you. I'll
look for a story from you!
SageMonk

John Patrick Riley

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
Since you mentioned my stories, I think I must have mistakenly implied that I'm
new here. I've been gone most of the summer, but I've actually posted here for
years. Unfortunately I used all my stories up a long time ago, I'm afraid. I just
didn't know there were other Michigan people here and wanted to say something.
:) -John

kar...@webtv.net

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
hmmm.. yep!! i am here in the U.P., but i am not a born Yooper.. :-)
just a transplant!

i live in the Soo... and gee.. there just aren't too many yet.. that i
have found.. but maybe this fall.. when the tourists go.. there will be
more..

and when they have the free day for the locals at the museum ship the
valley camp..i think i will try to go.. i have been before.. but wan't
looking for ghosts..

there is a piece of a life boat from the edmond fitzgerald there.

rather i think i would like to visit the shipwreck museum up the coast
of superior farther.. but we shall see..

there is a little cemetary not too far from me.. but when i went.. there
wasn't anything going on..

it gets a little spookier closer to halloween though. so i will try to
get some pics!!!

the ghosts in astoria, oregon, and san francisco were more apparant to
me.. *shrug*..

anyhow.. those lake stories were fabulous!!

got anymore?

karlii

kar...@webtv.net

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
i love amazing grace!! and also.. (can't think of the name right off..)
the scottish one.. "you take the high road and i'll take the low
road...." Loch Lomond? something like that..

gotta be on the pipes...

then. i like nights in white satin too..

creepier songs..

American Pie..
The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald..
2001: a space odyssey

i am not fond of the songs with a style like a gemanic march.. or
russian march.. can't think of any.. but they always sound apocalytic to
me...

karlii

SageMonk1

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
Karlii, have you picked up a shipwreck map yet? Amazing how many there are
(wrecks, not maps). I don't scuba, but if I did, I would be checking those
out. Have you seen the piece of life boat from the edmond fitz.? Just reading
that made me feel really sad.
I have a book on ancient mysteries in Michigan & much of the stuff is in the
UP, but I left the book at the lake. Next time we go up, Oct or Nov, I will
bring it back with me & let you know if there is stuff to check out near you.
and, yes, I have more lake stories! Glad you like reading them! : )
SageMonk
off the subject, have you read any of Cully Gage's books? Not ghost stories,
but Northwoods tales of the UP. Really great, funny stuff! Even my kids love
his books!

SageMonk1

Sep 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/4/98
ok John. I'm the new one here, sorry. Glad you said "hi"!
SageMonk

LITTLEPJoo

Sep 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/5/98
> sage...@aol.com (SageMonk1) wrote:

Ok, SageMonk, now that you are in NC you will have to get a "Ghost Fleet of the
Outer Banks" map. I picked one up at Kitty Hawk last year and it's spooky how
many ships have gone down in that one area. My friens says that on a clear day
at low tide, you can see parts of some of the ships sticking out of the
water.<shiver>
PJ

SageMonk1

Sep 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/7/98