Sysadmin price list?

Thomas Koenig

Feb 3, 1995, 4:34:15 PM2/3/95
I've recently seen a "sysadmin price list" somebody had stuck to their
door (somebody who was administring a system besides doing a PhD,
as a sort of sidejob).

It went something like

Fortran question: $2.00
TeX question: $2.00
Reloading a file: $3.00
Restoring mail: $3.50
Writing a Makefile: $5.00

and finished with

It stopped working, and I changed NOTHING: $20.00

Does anybody know where the original came from, or maybe has a few
contribution? A friend needs to put something up at his door
urgently ;-)
--
Thomas Koenig, Thomas...@ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de, ig...@dkauni2.bitnet.
The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double

Douglas G. Henke

Feb 4, 1995, 1:11:14 PM2/4/95
In article <3gu7gn$1...@nz12.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de> ig...@fg70.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de

(Thomas Koenig) writes:
> I've recently seen a "sysadmin price list" somebody had stuck to their
> door...
>[remainder of post omitted]

During my days as a sysadmin at the SSC, I had the following next to the
door for a while:

Price Schedule:
Routine Fix..................$30.00
If you watch.................$40.00
If you help..................$75.00
If you worked on it first...$350.00

(Shamelessly stolen from a similar sign I saw once in an auto mechanic's
shop.)
-DGH

David Meyer

Feb 9, 1995, 4:58:03 AM2/9/95

>Paul Evans' Laws on System Administration:
> #1 If users are made to understand that the system administrator's
>job is to make the computers run, and not to make users happy, they
>can, in fact, be made happy most of the time.
> #2 If users are allowed to believe that the system administrator's
>job is to make users happy, they can, in fact, never be made happy.
>Futhermore, in their quest for happiness, they will cause enough
>resources to be diverted to trying to make them happy that the
>computers will no longer run.
> -- p...@erg.sri.com

This jewel gets posted on the wall, where I'm sure our 'customers' will
enjoy and appreciate it.

Par Leijonhufvud labtek

Feb 14, 1995, 11:32:49 AM2/14/95
How about

Answering the same question the second time..........$20

/P{r
Name: Paer K.G. Leijonhufvud Oh, *practice*. I don't mind
Email: Par.Leij...@labtek.ki.se *practising*. So long as we
Voice: +46-(0)8-758 8459 don't have to do it for real...

Bill Beckner

Feb 14, 1995, 3:11:02 PM2/14/95
Par Leijonhufvud labtek (par...@ki.se) wrote:
> How about

> Answering the same question the second time..........$20

How about this:

Labor Rates

Regular 24.50/hr
If you wait 30.00/hr
If you watch 35.00/hr
If you help 50.00/hr
If you worked on it yourself 60.00/hr
If you laugh 75.00/hr

:)

--

Bill Beckner - SysAdmin for the RSA
If this stuff worked, you wouldn't need me!

Debbie Schwartz

Feb 14, 1995, 9:02:45 PM2/14/95
<par...@ki.se (Par Leijonhufvud labtek)> spake thusly:

>How about
>
>Answering the same question the second time..........$20

Answering the same question the second time when it's asked
right after the first question (maybe he thinks if he asks me
the same question enough times I'll say what he wants to hear)
..........$500)

(Oh, yeah, after he asks me the same question 2 or 3 times,
he will then turn to another sysadmin and ask them the
exact same question.)

--
Debbie Schwartz d...@halcyon.com (Seattle, WA)
"The waltz is a dance of quite too loose a character, and unmarried

Michael Robert Williams

Feb 15, 1995, 10:00:20 AM2/15/95

How about:

Remove 2 (or more) Mac disks from the same drive .......... $50
Look sympathetic when user types for 5 hours, doesn't
save, and looses everything due to a system crash ....... $20

--
In Real Life: Mike Williams | Aerospace Engineer--
e-mail : mr...@virginia.edu| Will build space station for food.

John Kinsella

Feb 15, 1995, 6:17:52 PM2/15/95
hmm...my turn.

Labor Rates

Regular rates: free (there's no such thing as REGULAR!)
If you interrupt me while I was reading news:
$25/hr
If you interrupt me while I was trying to count all the xroaches
on my screen:
$35/hr
If you interrupt me while I was trying to actually fix somebody
else's problem:
$45/hr
If you try to hang around and get me to fix it now
$50/hr
If you expect me to tell you how I fixed it:
$60/hr
If you've come to ask me why something isn't working that I'm
currently working on:
$70/hr
If you're asking me to fix something I fixed for you yesterday:
$75/hr
If you're asking me to fix something I told you I fixed yesterday,
but never did fix:
$85/hr
If you're asking me to fix a quick patch that I made that didn't work:
$95/hr
If you're buggine me while there's another admin in the room who could
have done it for you:
$150/hr

....now, if I could only get paid like this...;)

___
John L. Kinsella | University of California, Davis
jlki...@engr.ucdavis.edu | Finger account for public key!

Derek Peschel

Feb 17, 1995, 1:44:44 PM2/17/95
In article <D41r0...@murdoch.acc.virginia.edu>,
Michael Robert Williams <mr...@fulton.seas.Virginia.EDU> wrote:

>How about:

Questioning the other prices .................................$50

-- Derek

Keith F. Lynch

Feb 17, 1995, 9:39:36 PM2/17/95
In article <D400M...@ki.se>, Par Leijonhufvud labtek <par...@ki.se> wrote:
> Answering the same question the second time..........$20

Thanks.

How much for answering the same question the second time?
--
Keith Lynch, k...@access.digex.net

f p=2,3:2 s q=1 x "f f=3:2 q:f*f>p!'q s q=p#f" w:q p,?$x\8+1*8

Nicholas C. Weaver

Feb 18, 1995, 2:18:08 AM2/18/95
In article <3i3ml8$d...@access2.digex.net>,

Keith F. Lynch <k...@access.digex.net> wrote:
>> Answering the same question the second time..........$20

>How much for answering the same question the second time?

For answering the same question for the nth time, the cost is
$5*(2^n). Care to ask again?
--
Nicholas C. Weaver nwe...@madrone.cs.berkeley.edu
It is a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, .signifying nothing

Joe Morris

Feb 21, 1995, 11:48:30 AM2/21/95
OOhhh, here's one addition....

On 15 Feb 1995 23:17:52 GMT John Kinsella wrote:
> Labor Rates

> Regular rates: free (there's no such thing as REGULAR!)
> If you interrupt me while I was reading news:
> $25/hr
> If you interrupt me while I was trying to count all the xroaches
> on my screen:
> $35/hr
> If you interrupt me while I was trying to actually fix somebody
> else's problem:
> $45/hr
> If you try to hang around and get me to fix it now
> $50/hr
> If you expect me to tell you how I fixed it:
> $60/hr
> If you've come to ask me why something isn't working that I'm
> currently working on:
> $70/hr
> If you're asking me to fix something I fixed for you yesterday:
> $75/hr
> If you're asking me to fix something I told you I fixed yesterday,
> but never did fix:
> $85/hr

If while fixing problem, I fiddle too much and have to restore
something from tape:
$90 flat fee

> If you're asking me to fix a quick patch that I made that didn't work:
> $95/hr
> If you're buggine me while there's another admin in the room who could
> have done it for you:
> $150/hr

> ....now, if I could only get paid like this...;)

> ___
> John L. Kinsella | University of California, Davis
> jlki...@engr.ucdavis.edu | Finger account for public key!

--
Joe Morris, SysAdmin -- Ask me about early graves
Please send me e-mail if you've heard of Peaceworks

Richard Owain Hughes

Feb 22, 1995, 4:53:39 AM2/22/95
In article <D400M...@ki.se>, Par Leijonhufvud labtek <par...@ki.se> wrote:
>How about
>
>Answering the same question the second time..........$20

$200 to walk across a main road and half way through a building to type
boot <enter> on someone's machine because the caretaker had unplugged
it the night before.

Richard
--
Richard Hughes, CPC | These are my opinions, not those of UEA nor CPC
R.Hu...@uea.ac.uk

Michael J. Suzio

Feb 28, 1995, 11:43:42 AM2/28/95
Calling me with a question --- $10
Calling me with a stupid question -- $20
Calling me with a stupid question you can't quite articulate - $30
Implying I'm incompetant because I can't interpret your
inarticulate problem description - $1000+punitive damages

Calling me back with the same problem *after* I fix it once - $100
Insisting that you're not breaking the software, the
problem is on my end somehow - $200
Asking me to walk over to your building to fix the problem - $5/step
Asking me to drive to another town to fix your problem - $50/mile+gas

- Mike

Nathan Hughes

Feb 28, 1995, 5:01:29 PM2/28/95
Making me trek to your office to fix your problem then leaving immediately
after hanging up the phone - $1500.00

Explaining a problem for 1/2 hour over the phone BEFORE mentioning it's
your personal machine at home - $500.00

Self-diagnosing your problem and informing me what to do - $150.00
Having me bail you out when you perform your own repairs I told you not
to do - $300.00
Not telling all of your co-workers about it - $850.00

Figuring out you mean floppy drive when you say hard drive - $50.00
BEFORE I order your replacement hard drive - $250.00

Fixing your "broken" mouse with a mousepad - $25.00
Fixing your "broken" printer with an ink/toner cartridge - $35.00
Fixing your "broken" ANYTHING with the power button - $250.00

Special Rates
-------------
Dealing with user body odor - $75.00/hour
Dealing with user not familiar with the primary language spoken at site
- $50.00/hour
Dealing with user who is (self-proclaimed) smarter than you are, but still
calls every other day for help - $100.00/hour
Dealing with computer hobbiests - $125.00/hour

[...]

--
/(o\ nhu...@umich.edu
\o)/ U of Mich Dearborn Technical Support

Richard Owain Hughes

Mar 2, 1995, 10:21:36 AM3/2/95
In article <nhughes....@tiamat.umd.umich.edu>,

Nathan Hughes <nhu...@tiamat.umd.umich.edu> wrote:
>Making me trek to your office to fix your problem then leaving immediately
>after hanging up the phone - $1500.00

<other stuff deleted>

Do I sense a certain level of annoyance?

Is anyone compiling these (no, I am not volunteering)?

--
Richard Hughes, CPC | I speak for my self. UEA doesn't have an opinion cos
R.Hu...@uea.ac.uk | it's, like, a really *big* building, you know?

Nathan Hughes

Mar 2, 1995, 11:55:48 PM3/2/95
s1...@cpcroh.cpc.uea.ac.uk (Richard Owain Hughes) writes:

>In article <nhughes....@tiamat.umd.umich.edu>,
>Nathan Hughes <nhu...@tiamat.umd.umich.edu> wrote:
>>Making me trek to your office to fix your problem then leaving immediately
>>after hanging up the phone - $1500.00

>Do I sense a certain level of annoyance?

Of course you do. Of course, that comes with the job...

(As probably everyone else who's posted these can attest, these are
actual experiences. *sigh* Believe it or not. All 'o them.)

Michael Rogero Brown (Sys Admin)

Mar 3, 1995, 5:01:26 PM3/3/95
Nathan Hughes (nhu...@tiamat.umd.umich.edu) wrote:

: s1...@cpcroh.cpc.uea.ac.uk (Richard Owain Hughes) writes:

: >In article <nhughes....@tiamat.umd.umich.edu>,
: >Nathan Hughes <nhu...@tiamat.umd.umich.edu> wrote:
: >>Making me trek to your office to fix your problem then leaving immediately
: >>after hanging up the phone - $1500.00

: >Do I sense a certain level of annoyance?

: Of course you do. Of course, that comes with the job...

: (As probably everyone else who's posted these can attest, these are
: actual experiences. *sigh* Believe it or not. All 'o them.)

We can believe it. Unfortunatly.

And can tell of even worse ones. Even more unfortunatly.

--
----------All Opinions Expressed are MINE, not IBM's--------------
Michael Rogero Brown (uK Development System Administrator)

If you think I speak for IBM, then I've got some swamp land^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
real estate to sell you.

Lon Stowell

Mar 2, 1995, 8:02:30 PM3/2/95
In article <3j4nq0$o...@cpca3.uea.ac.uk> s1...@cpcroh.cpc.uea.ac.uk (Richard Owain Hughes) writes:

>Is anyone compiling these (no, I am not volunteering)?

Who NEEDS to compile them. Any sysadmin can just look in their
problem log. >:-)

Arthur Marsh

Mar 4, 1995, 1:45:13 AM3/4/95
Nathan Hughes (nhu...@tiamat.umd.umich.edu) wrote:

: (As probably everyone else who's posted these can attest, these are

: actual experiences. *sigh* Believe it or not. All 'o them.)
: --
: /(o\ nhu...@umich.edu
: \o)/ U of Mich Dearborn Technical Support

OK, how much for restarting a remote machine which involved picking up the
key for the site from a third party, all between Christmas dinner main course
and desert?

--
Arthur Marsh, telephone +61-8-370-2365, fax +61-8-370-2133, +61-8-223-5082
art...@gateway.dircsa.org.au

David Farley

Mar 7, 1995, 9:08:37 PM3/7/95

Richard Owain Hughes <s1...@cpcroh.cpc.uea.ac.uk> wrote:
>In article <nhughes....@tiamat.umd.umich.edu>,
>Nathan Hughes <nhu...@tiamat.umd.umich.edu> wrote:
>>Making me trek to your office to fix your problem then leaving immediately
>>after hanging up the phone - $1500.00

Calling up with a problem which "everybody" in the office is having
and which is "stopping all work." Not being there when I rush over to
look at it and nobody else in the office knows anything about it. -
$1700.00

Smaller problems:

Reporting slow connection by passenger pigeon packets to MPEG archive
in Outer Slobavia as a Mosaic/Netscape/Gopher/FTP client problem -
$25.00

Reporting it more than once - $50.00

Reporting it more than once and implying slothfullness on tech
support's inability to solve problem - $200.00

David