Grading systems

Ted Frank

Mar 2, 1994, 7:02:15 AM3/2/94
In article <2l12db$e...@panix.com> v139...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Oren Zeve) writes:
>In article <2kspq1$m...@panix.com>, th...@midway.uchicago.edu (Ted Frank) writes.
>>Yes, but the more finely individuated the grades, the less such an effect
>>hurts you.
>
>I agree. The more differentiations a professor can make, the more "exact" the
>grading will be in the long run. My problem is not the numerous levels, but
>the administrators who are wasting their time and ours developing these
>"alternative" grading systems. If U.Buffalo wants to have H, Q+, Q, Q-, D, F,
>or U.Washington wants four different levels that denote acceptable work,
>then why not just use A-F with plusses and minuses in between, or call them
>A-F w/o the accessories? Grading by euphemism just makes it more difficult
>for others to read transcripts, an already difficult process in a world where
>different schools with identical grading systems have to be compared.

In the case of Chicago, as far as I can tell in my discussions with
faculty on the subject, we have a strange and mysterious grading system
precisely *because* they want to discourage comparisons of a Chicago
transcript with a transcript from a different school. I wouldn't be
surprised if Washington or Buffalo have similar motivations. Different
schools have different curves and different standards; different grading
systems prevent facile comparisons that would be unfair.

Of course, then you end up with situations like Einstein's, where there's
a persistent urban legend that he did poorly in school, when in reality
his school used a grading system that was the reverse of that commonly
used in his neck of the woods. (Don't have a reference for this; is it
true? Or a strange meta-urban legend?)

(Please set urban legend followups to the folklore groups and discussions
about law school grading to the legal newsgroups. Thanks.)
--
ted frank | "People who quote my .sig in followups are morons" -- Kibo
the u of c | beable, beable, beable, beable, beable, beable, beable, beable,

Jordan Schwartz

Mar 2, 1994, 1:39:23 PM3/2/94
th...@midway.uchicago.edu (Ted Frank) writes:

>Of course, then you end up with situations like Einstein's, where there's
>a persistent urban legend that he did poorly in school, when in reality
>his school used a grading system that was the reverse of that commonly
>used in his neck of the woods. (Don't have a reference for this; is it
>true? Or a strange meta-urban legend?)

As I remember reading, his school reversed its grading system mid-way
through his time there, so where a 5 had originally been terrible and a
one great, the reverse became true. I remember reading this in a
biography of his, and will get a reference if anyone cares enough.

Jordan

Matthew B. Landry

Mar 2, 1994, 3:20:21 PM3/2/94
In article <2l1v87$s...@panix.com>
th...@midway.uchicago.edu (Ted Frank) writes:

> Of course, then you end up with situations like Einstein's, where there's
> a persistent urban legend that he did poorly in school, when in reality
> his school used a grading system that was the reverse of that commonly
> used in his neck of the woods. (Don't have a reference for this; is it
> true? Or a strange meta-urban legend?)

I thought the reason for that was because he took his examinations
in a language he didn't speak very well (ie exams were in French, but
he only spoke German).
--
Matthew B. Landry
President of Project SAVE

Juan Molinari

Mar 16, 1994, 7:33:29 PM3/16/94
>th...@midway.uchicago.edu (Ted Frank) writes:
>> Of course, then you end up with situations like Einstein's, where there's
>> a persistent urban legend that he did poorly in school, when in reality
>> his school used a grading system that was the reverse of that commonly
>> used in his neck of the woods. (Don't have a reference for this; is it
>> true? Or a strange meta-urban legend?)

I heard he did poorly in Math class. I didn't know about his
other subject matters.

The moral, of course, is that's it's ok to do badly in school.

--
Juan G. Molinari (716) 475-3643 465 Grace Watson Hall ____
ju...@clark.net jgm...@rit.edu RIT, Rochester, NY 14623 \HI/

Schizoid

Mar 16, 1994, 8:24:24 PM3/16/94
ju...@clark.net (Juan Molinari) writes (about Einstein):

> I heard he did poorly in Math class. I didn't know about his
> other subject matters.

I heard and read that he did so badly they thought he was retarded,
and that his high-school math teacher said "You'll never amount to
anything, Einstein."

~Adam "My high school math teacher was a Giants fan, but they
win sometimes anyway." Aulick
Adam Aulick || This .signature file contains absolutely no
a-au...@uiuc.edu || references to buffers, whatsoever.
<a http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~a-aulick/home.html>Come check out my home page!</a>

Sendhil Revuluri

Mar 17, 1994, 2:14:29 AM3/17/94
From the keyboard of a-au...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Schizoid):

> I heard and read that he did so badly they thought he was retarded,
> and that his high-school math teacher said "You'll never amount to
> anything, Einstein."

Hate to spoil the BS-flinging, but as in the case of many a UL, the
truth is more complex and more interesting than the legend. I take
the information presented here from Abraham Pais' biography "'Subtle
is the Lord...': The Science and the Life of Albert Einstein". [I
recommend this book highly for both the general reader, and for the
physicist who is interested in Einstein's scientific work as well as
his "life and times". For the latter especially, it is the best book
I've found.]

Einstein received his first instruction at home at the age of 5.
"This episode came to an abrupt end when Einstein had a tantrum and
threw a chair at the woman who taught him." At 6, he entered public
school. "He was a reliable, persistent, and slow-working pupil who
solved his mathematical problems with self-assurance though not
without computational errors. He did very well." His mother Pauline
wrote to her mother, "...he [AE] was again number one, his report card
was brilliant."

Then, when he went on to gymnasium (at Luitpold) "he earned either the
highest or the next highest mark in mathematics and in Latin" every
year. He disliked school for other reasons; however, his uncle Jakob
posed mathematical problems for him "and after he had solved them 'the
boy experienced a deep feeling of happiness'." With the assistance of
Max Talmud, a poor Jewish medical student who often visited the
Einstein home, he studied science and philosophy, and he "also
continued to study mathematics on his own." At 12 "he was given a
small book on Euclidean geometry, which he later referred to as the
holy geomettry book." Then, from age 12 to 16, "he studied
differential and integral calculus by himself."

When his family moved to Italy, he was left in Munich to finish
school. He decided to follow them instead, and studied for his
college entrance exams himself. At 16, he went to the ETH examination
in Zurich, and "failed, although he did well in mathematics and the
sciences." He decided to obtain the Matura (high school diploma) and
went to the cantonal school in Aarau, Switzerland. He enjoyed school
and did well. In fall 1896, he passed the Matura, with the grades
(out of 6): "German 5, Italian 5, history 6, geography 4, algebra 6,
geometry 6, descriptive geometry 6, physics 6, chemistry 5, natural
history 5, drawing (art) 4, drawing (technical) 4." He enrolled at
the ETH, and as they say, the rest is history.

As Pais notes, "the widespread belief that he was a poor pupil is
unfounded."

Sendhil "Darn, there goes my excuse" Revuluri
--

Sendhil Revuluri (s-rev...@uchicago.edu)
University of Chicago

Alon Drory

Mar 17, 1994, 10:23:54 AM3/17/94
In article <1994Mar17....@midway.uchicago.edu> re...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>From the keyboard of a-au...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu (Schizoid):
>> I heard and read that he did so badly they thought he was retarded,
>> and that his high-school math teacher said "You'll never amount to
>> anything, Einstein."
>
>Hate to spoil the BS-flinging, but as in the case of many a UL, the
>truth is more complex and more interesting than the legend.

[ rest of details deleted]

>Sendhil "Darn, there goes my excuse" Revuluri
>--

All true, but there were reasons why the myth arised. First, it is
correct that one of Einstein's teachers told him he would never amount
to anything. This was apparently because Einstein detested the german
teaching method, and made no attempt to disguise it. He was therefore
dubbed a trouble maker, which didn't endear him to his teachers. Also
, though he did very well in some subjects, he was, by his own admission,
hopeless in several branches of the humanities. Unfortunately, these
were probably the very subjects the teacher who made the remark thought
were most important (science didn't seem to have enjoyed a high status
then. Remember, this was the end of the 19-th century).

The fear that Einstein was retarded originated in his family, because he
didn't speak until he was about three years old. The worry quickly
disappeared, but I suppose that in later years it would be a much
repeated anecdote that Einstein's own parents feared for his mental
capacities.

The "bad student" myth has the most interesting origin of all. The marks
in german schools went from 1 to 6. However, when Einstein was young,
the highest mark was 1 and the lowest was 6. Midway through Einstein's
schooling years, however, the grading system was reversed, and 6 became
the highest grade, 1 the lowest. (I may have consistently reversed the
orders, but the reversal occured anyway). Einstein's notes in
mathematics, for example were consistently the highest possible, but
they shifted from 1 to 6 in a year because of the grading system change.
Early biographers were apparently unaware of this shift and assumed the
earlier marks denoted very poor grades. The legend was too good to die
when the error was detected. It has been the consolation of anxious
parents and unsuccessful students ever since.
--
- Alon
Furious activity is no substitute for understanding

Ted Frank

Mar 17, 1994, 11:01:41 AM3/17/94
In article <2m9sma$9...@news.bu.edu> dr...@buphyk.bu.edu (Alon Drory) writes:
>The fear that Einstein was retarded originated in his family, because he
>didn't speak until he was about three years old. The worry quickly
>disappeared, but I suppose that in later years it would be a much
>repeated anecdote that Einstein's own parents feared for his mental
>capacities.

Which reminds me of the following piece of apocryphia:

The three-year old Einstein speaks his first words at the dinner table:
"The soup is too hot."

His parents exclaim in surprise, happy that their boy Albert has started
talking. "But," they ask curiously, "why haven't you said anything before?"

"Up until now, everything was satisfactory!"

Is it really true Einstein was a late talker? (I'm fairly certain the
story I tell is a late addition to the canon.)

At any rate, here's another retelling of the grading system issue:

>The "bad student" myth has the most interesting origin of all. The marks
>in german schools went from 1 to 6. However, when Einstein was young,
>the highest mark was 1 and the lowest was 6. Midway through Einstein's
>schooling years, however, the grading system was reversed, and 6 became
>the highest grade, 1 the lowest. (I may have consistently reversed the
>orders, but the reversal occured anyway). Einstein's notes in
>mathematics, for example were consistently the highest possible, but
>they shifted from 1 to 6 in a year because of the grading system change.
>Early biographers were apparently unaware of this shift and assumed the
>earlier marks denoted very poor grades. The legend was too good to die
>when the error was detected. It has been the consolation of anxious
>parents and unsuccessful students ever since.
--

ted frank
the law school
the u of c
djkibo#=0.5

Andrew Rogers

Mar 17, 1994, 12:23:43 PM3/17/94
In article <1994Mar17.1...@midway.uchicago.edu> th...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>Which reminds me of the following piece of apocryphia:
>
>The three-year old Einstein speaks his first words at the dinner table:
> "The soup is too hot."
>
>His parents exclaim in surprise, happy that their boy Albert has started
>talking. "But," they ask curiously, "why haven't you said anything before?"
>
>"Up until now, everything was satisfactory!"

Jeez... I heard this as a joke about a nameless "mute" (no idea what the
current PC term is) back in elementary school circa 1960... and now it's
being attributed - albeit apocryphally (so far) - to Einstein! When will
the old "bottom of the [Beethoven's] Ninth, score tied, basses loaded..."
joke about <your favorite conductor> be reported as biographical fact?

I suspect a lot of urban legends start out as jokes... like the late-60's
Playboy Party Joke about "LSD-spiked birth control pills - so you can take a
trip without the kids" which, minus its punchline, has been repeated as fact
by assorted fire 'n' brimstone types...

Andrew

john baez

Mar 17, 1994, 1:47:27 PM3/17/94
In article <2m9sma$9...@news.bu.edu> dr...@buphyk.bu.edu (Alon Drory) writes:

>The fear that Einstein was retarded originated in his family, because he
>didn't speak until he was about three years old.

I seem to recall some story like this, not necessarily about Einstein.
(I will modify it a bit to make it more fun.) The kid, who everyone
thinks is retarded because he hasn't spoken until age 3, says to a house
guest "Could you please smoke somewhere else?" The parents, shocked,
ask the kid why he just started talking. He replies "Previously
everything was satisfactory."

Does anyone know where this story got started?

Ron Maimon

Mar 17, 1994, 3:08:02 PM3/17/94
In article <1994Mar17....@midway.uchicago.edu>, re...@kimbark.uchicago.edu (Sendhil Revuluri) writes:

|> As Pais notes, "the widespread belief that he was a poor pupil is
|> unfounded."

The point is not that Einstein was a bad student, just that he wasn't
the best student among his peers, and really didn't stand out too much
until he started publishing revolutionary papers from a patent office.

Ron Maimon

Brad Kepley

Mar 18, 1994, 7:19:55 PM3/18/94

>Which reminds me of the following piece of apocryphia:
>
>The three-year old Einstein speaks his first words at the dinner table:
> "The soup is too hot."

Benny Hill did that one playing the father, mother and child only the kid
tasted the soup, made a face and said "Sheep dip!"

I guess it's a joke that's been around.

| "The natural progress of things is for government |
| to gain ground and for liberty to yield" |
| Thomas Jefferson |
| Brad Kepley kep...@photon.phys.unca.edu |

Sendhil Revuluri

Mar 18, 1994, 7:32:52 PM3/18/94
Einstein was probably a slightly delayed talker; until high school, he
was very quiet and shy. When he left Munich for Italy, he became more
independent and happier, and when he studied for the Matura, he really
enjoyed school and "came out of his shell". I don't think he was very
much different from many children in this respect.

Sendhil "Until now, my cornflakes were crisp" Revuluri

Sendhil Revuluri

Mar 18, 1994, 7:38:14 PM3/18/94
From the keyboard of rma...@husc9.Harvard.EDU (Ron Maimon):

> |> As Pais notes, "the widespread belief that he was a poor pupil is
> |> unfounded."
>
> The point is not that Einstein was a bad student, just that he wasn't
> the best student among his peers, and really didn't stand out too much
> until he started publishing revolutionary papers from a patent office.

How would you -expect- him to act? Many people do well in school. A
few people are geniuses. Some of the latter are the former as well;
some others are not. I don't know that there have been enough
geniuses for people to have any sort of valid conceptions of what they
are usually like as children. (One thing that comes to mind is that
prodigies often "fail to fulfill their promise". I think this is a
misconception; simply, geniuses are far more rare than prodigies, and
the two in fact are not necessarily the same people. Or maybe it's
related to the extinct .400 hitter. I'm babbling now, so I'll stop.)

Sendhil "washed-up child prodigy, just like Krusty the Clown" Revuluri

Chip Dunham

Mar 18, 1994, 8:38:28 PM3/18/94
In article <2mcps3$8...@scunix2.harvard.edu>, rma...@husc9.Harvard.EDU (Ron Maimon) writes:
>This has nothing to do with Einstein, but when I was in kindergarten, the
>teacher came up to my mother and grandfather and told them that they have
>a problem- that I fall asleep in class, I never participate, I refuse to
>recite the alphabet, and I can't count. She concluded that I am very
>probably mentally retarded, and should be tested and put in a special
>school.
>
>My grandfather looked surprized and told her, "but you do know that this
>child can read fluently and count up to a thousand?"
>
>She says, "Denying the problem is not going to solve it".
>

>Ron Maimon
When I was in Kindergarden, I came home one day with a button that said
"I know my colors". My mother got VERY suspicious, because I am very
color blind.

She went to school the following day with me and spoke with the teacher.
The teacher said that she was surprised how well I knew them and continued
ad nausium. My mother then asked to see what she used to "test" us.
There were about a dozen Donald Duck characters, each a different
color, with the color written under the duck.

To prove her point, my mother had to cover the words and asked me what color
each of the ducks were. I couldn't tell. The teacher was a bit pissed off,
claiming that I had someone tell me what the colors were, etc. Nope. I just
read them.

She sent me home with a note on a similar subject a few months later. This time
she had written in script. I read the note and had a debate over the contents.

After that she learned......

* Chip Dunham, NYS EMT-D, NREMT * Houston Field House EMS *
* Coordinator of EMS Operations * HD0...@albnyvms.bitnet *
*If it wasn't for stupid people doing stupid things, I'd be unemployed!*
* A .sig with a fever keeps the Vicki Robinson virus away *

Kas...@cps.msu.edu

Mar 19, 1994, 8:46:04 AM3/19/94
rma...@husc9.Harvard.EDU (Ron Maimon) writes:

>This has nothing to do with Einstein, but when I was in kindergarten, the
>teacher came up to my mother and grandfather and told them that they have
>a problem- that I fall asleep in class, I never participate, I refuse to
>recite the alphabet, and I can't count. She concluded that I am very
>probably mentally retarded, and should be tested and put in a special
>school.

>My grandfather looked surprized and told her, "but you do know that this
>child can read fluently and count up to a thousand?"

>She says, "Denying the problem is not going to solve it".

Sounds similar to what happened to my brother. The kindergarten teacher
asked if he could count to one hundred. He said no. So she called my
parents and recommended additional schooling for him. My parents were
shocked, since my brother would always impress the rest of us by how high
he could count (to at least a thousand).

My parents asked him why he told the teacher he couldn't count to one
hundred. He said he said no because he could count a _lot_ higher...

Timothy Harrison

Mar 19, 1994, 10:37:29 AM3/19/94
Kas...@cps.msu.edu writes:

>rma...@husc9.Harvard.EDU (Ron Maimon) writes:

When my brother was in first grade, the teacher thought he had trouble
reading until she saw him reading a book upside down (and was able to read
it to her fine that way).

Tim

Ron Maimon

Sendhil Revuluri

Mar 18, 1994, 7:07:12 PM3/18/94
From the keyboard of dr...@buphyk.bu.edu (Alon Drory):

> All true, but there were reasons why the myth arised. First, it is
> correct that one of Einstein's teachers told him he would never amount
> to anything. This was apparently because Einstein detested the german
> teaching method, and made no attempt to disguise it. He was therefore
> dubbed a trouble maker, which didn't endear him to his teachers.

I have yet to see a source for this quote, in several biographies I
have perused. Pais said a teacher once got mad at him for disrupting
the class by sitting in the back of the room and smiling all the time,
undercutting the teacher's authority.

> Also
> , though he did very well in some subjects, he was, by his own admission,
> hopeless in several branches of the humanities.

I wouldn't call him hopeless. He was competent in several languages
(Italian, Latin, English, German, though not Hebrew) and was very good
at music. Even as a child, he showed interest and competence in
philosophy. In any case, you shouldn't expect him to be a polymath
-just- because he was a genius. Don't you think you're being a little
demanding, hm?

> The "bad student" myth has the most interesting origin of all. The marks
> in german schools went from 1 to 6. However, when Einstein was young,
> the highest mark was 1 and the lowest was 6. Midway through Einstein's
> schooling years, however, the grading system was reversed, and 6 became
> the highest grade, 1 the lowest.

This is interesting. I can see how people would want to believe it :)

Sendhil "they switched the grades on me, too, yeah" Revuluri

John Kondis

Mar 20, 1994, 5:01:33 PM3/20/94
>>The "bad student" myth has the most interesting origin of all. The marks
[shnip]

>>earlier marks denoted very poor grades. The legend was too good to die
>>when the error was detected. It has been the consolation of anxious
>>parents and unsuccessful students ever since.

Ahh... It makes you think. In this modern world of jets and spaceships,
nothing flies like baloney!

...John

Edward Tsong

Mar 21, 1994, 7:54:09 PM3/21/94
Ron Maimon (rma...@husc9.Harvard.EDU) wrote:
: This has nothing to do with Einstein, but when I was in kindergarten, the

: teacher came up to my mother and grandfather and told them that they have
: a problem- that I fall asleep in class, I never participate, I refuse to
: recite the alphabet, and I can't count. She concluded that I am very
: probably mentally retarded, and should be tested and put in a special
: school.

: My grandfather looked surprized and told her, "but you do know that this
: child can read fluently and count up to a thousand?"

: She says, "Denying the problem is not going to solve it".

: Ron Maimon

This reminds me of my cousin, who in kindergarten was diagnosed to be
learning-disabled by her teachers. Ignore the fact that up until then she
had only spoken Taiwanese at home... and after Yale undergrad she's now at
Johns Hopkins med school. Some of these teachers need to get a clue...

________________________
Ed Tsong
edt...@husc.harvard.edu

Drs. H.J. Kooy Jr.

Mar 22, 1994, 7:09:00 AM3/22/94
Chip Dunham (hd0...@albnyvms.bitnet) wrote:
[...lots deleted...]
: To prove her point, my mother had to cover the words and asked me what color

: each of the ducks were. I couldn't tell. The teacher was a bit pissed off,
: claiming that I had someone tell me what the colors were, etc. Nope. I just
: read them.
Sounds like my putonghwa teacher of about two years ago. Some kind of
substitutiuon drill, and I rattled off the sentence before she could give the
example...
:
:She sent me home with a note on a similar subject a few months later. This time

:she had written in script. I read the note and had a debate over the contents.
:
: After that she learned......
After my teacher figured it out, she asked me *NOT* to look in the book, but
listen... I never figured out whether one was supposed to read them or do
them by sound only:-) (So flame me for the :-))
:
: ************************************************************************

: * Chip Dunham, NYS EMT-D, NREMT * Houston Field House EMS *
: * Coordinator of EMS Operations * HD0...@albnyvms.bitnet *
: ************************************************************************
Drs. H.J. Kooy, EMail: HJK...@hkuxa.hku.hk, HJK...@hkucc.bitnet
Department. of Physics, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Rd, HONG KONG
Ph: (852)859-2360(Gen. Office) FAX:(852)559-9152, Tlx: 71919 CEREB HK

Juan Ingles

Mar 24, 1994, 7:31:40 PM3/24/94

>When I was in Kindergarden, I came home one day with a button that said
>"I know my colors". My mother got VERY suspicious, because I am very
>color blind.

My best friend in kindergarden was held back and thought to be retarded
because he couldn't learn his colors. They later figured out that he
was color blind.

Juan Ingles
<DACRXL01...@tcp30.dx.deere.com>

Sunita Kumari Bhatia

Mar 25, 1994, 5:07:02 PM3/25/94
In article <2mv480$d...@hpcan240.mentorg.com> d...@wv.mentorg.com
(Dave Ferguson) writes:
[deletia]

>My parents were told (while I was in kindergarden) that I was retarded.
>This particularly surprised my father, since he was a special-education
>teacher with quite considerable training in recognizing real problems.
>When pressed, the teacher's rationale was "He can't cut a straight line
>with scissors".
>
>-Dave Ferguson

My parents were told that I was learning disabled because in
kindergarden (I was 4) I couldn't walk on the balance beam or
color inside the lines. My parents told the teacher that the
fact that I could read showed I wasn't an idiot.

Maybe I should send my kindergarden teacher a copy of my thesis.

----- Sunita Bhatia

Cynthia Kandolf

Mar 27, 1994, 5:32:01 PM3/27/94
Scot Johnson writes:
>My personal favorite is my "Allen Wrench" (as opposed to screwdriver)
> - Scotch and Price Chopper Orange soda

Ah, but do they sell it in the cafeteria at IKEA?

-Cindy "if you have to ask, you'll never get it" Kandolf
ci...@lise.unit.no
Trondheim, Norway

JabberWokky

Mar 28, 1994, 6:59:12 PM3/28/94
Tino D'Amico sat down and said:

> (I would appreciate hearing from anyone with similar stories of
>elementary and high school horror, by the way. I have a Philosophy of
>Education project I'm supposed to be working on, and any anecdotes would
>be most helpful.)

A friend of mine is 19, and a junior in High School. He'll
be 21 when he graduates. He was a year ahead until 4th grade
when he was held back for several years. Turns out it took
them that long to discover he was going blind due to a genetic
condition.

Horror stories among the visually impaired abound. Not
only for the students, but there are also some students who
recieve diplomas with little more than an elementary school
education. (of course this happens in mainstream society).
It's getting better, however.

I, personally, was considered slow... instead of doing
my math homework in 2nd grade, I was playing with sine and
cosine functions (Ah, the education I got from Applesoft
Basic). In third grade, there was a big mess over a book report
I had done on "Jaws". The teacher and principal insisted
that I couldn't have read it, that it was much higher level
than any third grader could handle. My parents finally
had to come in. My mother simply asked the question "What
were your favorite parts of the book". The principal's
secretary, the only person who had read the book besides
me, chatted with me for a while about the book. I was almost
expelled, and no one had even thought to ask me *about* the
book. I took the PSAT that year. As a sophomore in HS, I got a 1580
SAT. (34, I believe on the ACT, but that may very well be wrong).
I am now a triple major at UCF, and as long as I get my
coursework done, and stop writing odd Operating Systems and
wierd utilities, I'm doing fine.

/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
| \_/\--/\_/ | God is real... | Evan A. Edwards |
| < \ / > | unless declared | (also: JabberWokky ) |
| \ / | integer. | ind0...@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu |
| |)(| |-----------------------| These views do not reflect |
| -- |WeSingThePrasesOfLlamas| all the voices in my skull. |

JabberWokky

Mar 28, 1994, 7:20:18 PM3/28/94
Juan Ingles sat down and said:
>I once heard that mixing alcohol with gatorade caused the alcohol to go
>straight to the bloodstream when imbibed and was declared illegal in
>some states.

Well, considering that alcohol will be absorbed directly into
the bloodstream, no matter *what* you do (right into the blood
vessels in the stomach), the gatorade+alcohol sounds like
a good way to ruin gatorade.

Jeff Hillis

Mar 29, 1994, 12:31:35 AM3/29/94
Derek Tearne (de...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz) wrote:

: Alcohol and Gatorade (whatever that may be) will also go pretty much
: straight into the bloodstream. Alcohol mixed with _water_ will go
: pretty much straight into the blood stream. Alcohol mixed with LSD
: will go pretty much straight into the blood stream.

Gatorade is a 'high-powered' sports drink designed to replenish the
body's nutrients and stuff. Actually quite good. Seems to work the
intended purpose quite well, but there is much debate on that too.

The story goes that it was invented by a University of Florida coach for
the football team(the GATORS - hence, GatorAid)

Derek Tearne

Mar 30, 1994, 12:05:54 AM3/30/94
In article <2n7l9h$s...@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu> mmc...@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu (Malinda McCall) writes:
>Tezt trial of Zima followz.
>
>1] Todd orderz Zima, having been annoyed enough by the commercialz
>to be curiouz.

..... Lotsa stuff deleted.

I puzzled over this post for ages before realising what she was testing.

cat /home/users/mmccall/.article | sed "s/s/z/g"

Although why anyone would give it a special name is beyond me.

Derek "Must be where syzzyg comes from too" Tearne

--
Derek Tearne. -- de...@fujitsu.co.nz -- Fujitsu New Zealand --
Some of the more environmentally aware dinosaurs were worried about the

Solomon Braunstein

Mar 31, 1994, 10:27:47 PM3/31/94
>up until now everything was satisfactory

Peter Sellers told this joke in an interview with Michael Parkinson (?)
though the subject was unnamed and did not speak these first words
until adolescence.

Boyd, Elizabeth L.

Apr 1, 1994, 11:30:00 AM4/1/94
In article <2n8efn$g...@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu>, ind0...@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Jeff Hillis) writes...

GATORADE??? GOOD???!!!
^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
Isn't there some kindof a false advertising prohibition in
this country??? We must be careful of what we tell our foreign friends!
"Gatorade tastes like someone else's sweat!" she opined.
----Betsy

Glenn K!

Apr 1, 1994, 12:13:01 PM4/1/94
>>The story goes that it was invented by a University of Florida coach for
>>the football team(the GATORS - hence, GatorAid)

Gee, just think if it were invented by another well-known university - it
could've been named Seminole Fluid.

Glenn K!
(ducking for cover)

Brian Scearce

Apr 1, 1994, 12:39:39 PM4/1/94
ind0...@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Jeff Hillis) writes:
> The story goes that it was invented by a University of Florida coach
> for the football team (the GATORS - hence, GatorAid).

And if it had been invented at Florida State, it would have been called
Seminole Fluid.

Brian "sorry" Scearce
--
Brian Scearce b...@sector7g.eng.sun.com
The above does not necessarily represent Sun policy.

Thomas T. Cheng

Apr 1, 1994, 2:10:47 PM4/1/94
Boyd, Elizabeth L. (st...@elroy.uh.edu) wrote:
: GATORADE??? GOOD???!!!

: ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
: Isn't there some kindof a false advertising prohibition in
: this country??? We must be careful of what we tell our foreign friends!
: "Gatorade tastes like someone else's sweat!" she opined.
: ----Betsy
Hey, it's an acquired taste.
Translation: When you're thirsty, you'll drink anything. Besides, if
you get powdered (as opposed to bottled) Gatorade, you can add extra mix
so it tastes slightly better. Anyway, Gatorade still tastes better than
the other piss they give you, like 10-K or Snap-up.

--
Thomas T. Cheng Friendship is the only cement that
will ever hold the world together.

Daniel B Case

Apr 1, 1994, 5:20:00 PM4/1/94
In article <2n8efn$g...@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu>, ind0...@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Jeff Hillis) writes...
>Derek Tearne (de...@nezsdc.icl.co.nz) wrote:
>
>: Alcohol and Gatorade (whatever that may be) will also go pretty much
>: straight into the bloodstream. Alcohol mixed with _water_ will go
>: pretty much straight into the blood stream. Alcohol mixed with LSD
>: will go pretty much straight into the blood stream.
>
>Gatorade is a 'high-powered' sports drink designed to replenish the
>body's nutrients and stuff. Actually quite good. Seems to work the
>intended purpose quite well, but there is much debate on that too.

Consumer Reports took up sports drinks, and found that they do do what they
claim to, but as for working "faster than water", that is true to such a small
extent that it only makes a difference if you're working out at the level of a
pro athlete. It may work for Michael, but not so much for you.
In fact, they suggested you'd save yourself money by just buying fruit juice and
making a 50% water solution with it. You'd get the same benefits.

But I still like the taste, though.

>The story goes that it was invented by a University of Florida coach for
>the football team(the GATORS - hence, GatorAid)

No, Sue Mudgett came up with it and the UF football coach stole the credit.

Dan "And he's in deep shit now" Case

Daniel Case State University of New York at Buffalo
Prodigy: WDNS15D | GEnie: DCASE.10
Ceci n'est pas une pipe
V140...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu dc...@acsu.buffalo.edu

Len Berlind

Apr 2, 1994, 9:00:20 AM4/2/94
Brian Scearce, (and one other, I believe) writes:

>> The story goes that it was invented by a University of Florida coach
>> for the football team (the GATORS - hence, GatorAid).
>
>And if it had been invented at Florida State, it would have been called
>Seminole Fluid.

All true Floridonians know that it is never "Seminoles", but always
"'Noles". Therefore it would have been called: 'Nole Nectar.

--Len

daniel r. reitman, attorney to be

Apr 2, 1994, 7:18:17 PM4/2/94
In article <297438456...@psilink.com>,

Not Nole-aids? How do you misspell relief? :-)

Dan, ad nauseum

"[A] court cannot either mandate or enjoin an act after it has been completed,
at least not until the cosmological theory of reversible time is better
established." Kay v. David Douglas School Dist., 303 Or. 574, 577, 738 P.2d
1389, 1390 (1987).