It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ...

**Dalin**

Nov 29, 2003, 12:39:26 PM11/29/03
It started snowing last night, big fat flakes coming down which have
turned into an almost blizzard right now. The wind is howling and
very strong and the snow is falling thick and fast. The plows haven't
been seen yet and we've lost our electricity at least five times for
brief periods this morning. Gosh, it's pretty outside, but I'm glad
I'm in!

Dalin

NHunkele

Nov 29, 2003, 12:49:30 PM11/29/03

Dry ground, blue skies and sunshine here. :)

My older son and I did string the Crhistmas ligts around the front door,
though. A bit early but the weather was right.
Norma

Bette

Nov 29, 2003, 1:00:52 PM11/29/03
>Subject: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ...

>From: **Dalin**

>It started snowing last night, big fat flakes coming down which have
>turned into an almost blizzard right now.

Brrrr.. glad I'm inside at the moment in my fleece shirt with two snowmen with
scarves around their necks.. don't forget that when you build yours! ;>)
Bette

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Nov 29, 2003, 2:27:12 PM11/29/03
By contrast, we haven't had a killing frost yet; although, this morning
there was enough frost on the grass to look white, at least until the
sun hit it. I still have a few mums and rudbekia(blackeyed susans) in
bloom. But the berries on the holly hedge have turned red along with
those on the nandinas; so it may look a bit winterish in that direction.
Unless we get one of those Arctic Express surges, winter will start
after Christmas for us. The grass will turn brown. The deciduous trees
will drop their leaves. We will see purple hedgeberries, and red holly
and haw berries, but glossy green magnolias and feathery pines. Maybe
it will snow for New Year's Day. It will dampen the firecrackers.

Happy Snow to you, Dalin.
Blake
---------------------
lj...@mindspring.com (**Dalin**)

**Dalin**

Nov 29, 2003, 3:13:44 PM11/29/03
It sounds really pretty Blake. They did have some snow in Nashville
yesterday, a friend called to tell me. But you are more southerly.
The deer have eaten all the wild berries here.

Dalin

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 13:27:12 -0600 (CST), DittyDu...@webtv.net

RichaLlo3

Nov 29, 2003, 3:17:27 PM11/29/03
> They did have some snow in Nashville

Snowed five inches in Boone (about 110 miles from here in the mountains).

Marian

Nov 29, 2003, 3:55:54 PM11/29/03

Lovely!

Marian says enviously in N.C.
Political Cartoons While I Was Away...
http://www.picturetrail.com/gid1209821

Marian

Nov 29, 2003, 3:57:25 PM11/29/03

>> They did have some snow in Nashville
>
>Snowed five inches in Boone (about 110 miles from here in the mountains).

Wonder what my son & his family will be going home to there in Asheville...
They've been over here this weekend.

Marian

Jean B.

Nov 29, 2003, 7:09:32 PM11/29/03

Enjoy it, Dalin. You can have as much snow as you want. I did
get in my driveway markers today....
--
Jean B.

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Nov 29, 2003, 11:38:34 PM11/29/03
Well Nashville is up on the Highland Rim. Probly have had some snow in
east Tenn, by now, too. But we are in the Miss. Valley that funnels the
warm air up from the Gulf a lot of the time.

The only place we have wild deer is in the bottomlands along the rivers.
Once, when the river bottoms flooded, it forced some deer into south
Mfs. Some of the citzens down there were trying to kill one with
pocket knives when they were spotted by police.

The squirrels have been eating my holly berries. This year we have an
overpopulation of squirrels and chipmunks. My daughter sees ringnecked
doves and a red headed woodpecker at her house. I once saw a grosbeak
in my backyard when it snowed. It came to the bird feeder.
Blake
-------------------
lj...@mindspring.com (**Dalin**)

RichaLlo3

Nov 30, 2003, 5:18:07 AM11/30/03
>>Snowed five inches in Boone (about 110 miles from here in the mountains).

>Wonder what my son & his family will be going home to there in Asheville...
>They've been over here this weekend.
>
>Marian

snowed in Asheville to!

**Dalin**

Nov 30, 2003, 10:53:37 AM11/30/03
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:38:34 -0600 (CST), DittyDu...@webtv.net
wrote:

>Well Nashville is up on the Highland Rim. Probly have had some snow in
>east Tenn, by now, too. But we are in the Miss. Valley that funnels the
>warm air up from the Gulf a lot of the time.
>
>The only place we have wild deer is in the bottomlands along the rivers.
>Once, when the river bottoms flooded, it forced some deer into south
>Mfs. Some of the citzens down there were trying to kill one with
>pocket knives when they were spotted by police.

Some citizens! Did the deer survive? Did the "citizens" get
arrested?

>The squirrels have been eating my holly berries. This year we have an
>overpopulation of squirrels and chipmunks. My daughter sees ringnecked
>doves and a red headed woodpecker at her house. I once saw a grosbeak
>in my backyard when it snowed. It came to the bird feeder.
>Blake

We don't see much here in the winter. Not that things aren't here,
but they seem to hide or hibernate and it's hard except for the birds
for them to navigate through the snow.

I feed the squirrels all year round, putting peanuts on my back deck.
It's hilarious to watch them burying the nuts in the ground in the
fall, then of course when winter comes and the snow is deep they can't
get to them - if they remember where they planted them anyway. I've
read that gray squirrels (the only kind we have here) are very
forgetful, therefore good for the ecology as the seeds and nuts sprout
in the spring. Red squirrels remember where they have stored their
food.

Dalin

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Nov 30, 2003, 7:31:48 PM11/30/03
I suppose we have only grey squirrels here, too. Too, too many.

As I recall about the citizens and the deer, the deer got away, and the
police reprimanded the citizens rather than carting them away to
juvenile detention.

It was 60ish today, so I planted the last of my tulip bulbs. I dug up
some hardy cannas that were growing into the rose bush. The petals fell
off my "last rose of summer" today. It was so pretty, smelled so sweet,
I hate to see it go.

The southwind came and blew the leaves off the yellow gingko tree down
the street. It's funny how they lose all their leaves in one day. They
turn more golden, then fall off. On the ground they keep their color
and make the lawn look gold.

So now the sugar maples, dogwoods and crepe myrtles are mostly bare.
But the oaks are turning red or gold, as the case may be; and the main
understory trees are the Japanese maples, and maybe a few of those
brittle pear trees. It looks more and more like Christmas. Especially
since the man next door put up his animated and lighted snowman,
skating.

Newspaper headline over article about Grand Ole Opry plans for tourism :
It's Yule, Y'all!
Blake
----------------

The only place we have wild deer is in the bottomlands along the rivers.
Once, when the river bottoms flooded, it forced some deer into south
Mfs.   Some of the citzens down there were trying to kill one with

pocket knives when they were spotted by police. Blake
--

Some citizens! Did the deer survive? Did the "citizens" get arrested?

We don't see much here in the winter. Not that things aren't here, but

Lonestar

Nov 30, 2003, 9:58:21 PM11/30/03

**Dalin** wrote:

Welp, it is about 65º here in Fort Worth,Tx. The only thing feeling like
Christmas is reading in the newspaper about the Idiots that arrived at
the malls at 4am to "Shop" the day after Thanksgiving....I read this
morning that a stupid woman standing in line at a Walmart in Orange
County, Florida was knocked to the ground and trampled by the insane
idiots that were rushing to by a $29 DVD player. Walmart informed her
that they "saved" her one. Sheeshe!!! What a bunch of Sick SOB's.
I suppose she will be awarded the Shopper's Purple Heart citation for 2003.
This is the first time in 36 years that me and Judy even visited a mall
on the Idiotic Day after Thanksgiving. We were in the mall a total of 56
minutes while Judy bought a dress for herself. Not a Christmas Present.
And the damn thing wasn't even on sale!
I have a hard time with this kind of insane mentality. Me and Judy "buy"
Christmas presents all thru the year. By "Christmas", we already have
bought most of the presents.
I finished putting up our "outside" decorations today. The "Tree" is
settling in the den letting the limbs get acclimated and we will adorn
it with lights and decorations tomorrow nite,(some are 53 years old from
my granddmom's). We will "top" the tree with a lighted Santa while
enjoying some hot choclate with marshmellows.
Ho Ho Ho!
Robert :-)

Lonestar

Nov 30, 2003, 10:14:13 PM11/30/03
We feed the birds and "squrriels" daily. I bought some real, "killer
diller " squirrel food about 5 years ago, corn tidbits, whole grain, and
some kind of berries. The squrriles wouldn't touch it. I put out hen
scratch that I mix with sunflower seeds. The Red Birds, Blue Jays,
Squirrels, Crackles and sparrows all flock to it.
Robert

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Nov 30, 2003, 11:27:10 PM11/30/03
Well, I'll tell y'all -- for some years I worked in a regional mall.
The day after Thanksgiving, we had to park and walk from the farthest
perimeter of the parking lot if we came in for the late shift. The
shoppers and shoplifters were out in droves and hordes. And I can tell
you, it was dark walking back to the car at 2300 hrs.

I loved the crowds. Most were in town visiting relatives for the
weekend. Many had driven 100 miles to get there that morning -- the
were waiting for the morning shift to arrive at 0600 hrs.
Most were happy, laughing, enjoying looking at all the things --the
choices --
I thought it was a manifestation of the primal hunting/gathering
instinct; as if they had found a herd of easy game, or a large tree of
abundant sweet pecans. (puh-KAHNS -- not pee cans).

I would get to meet their grandchildren, or sisters from Washington
State or the Bahamas, or maybe their mother who was in a wheelchair and
didn't get out much. I helped them find dresses to wear to the special
occasions in their lives, to get things altered to fit well, so they
would feel their best at weddings and parties, the opera or a play in
the Big Apple, and, yes, the occasional funeral. I heard stories of
where they were going, and why. A trip to Hawaii, a cruise, --it's
really hard to find a swimsuit in the winter. It's really interesting
to watch a beautiful girl select a fur coat, while her Marine stands by
uncomfortably looking on. There was always the guy who wanted two
identical coats, one for his wife and the other for his girlfriend.

There were also the professional thieves who could steal with you
looking at them and get by with it. One we called Big Red who always
showed up with her crew on busy days was met at the door by the security
guy, Kenny. When they saw him, they just turned around and mooned him
before leaving. They had their girdles pulled down around their knees,
ready to be filled like Santa's pack.

I met people I hadn't seen since elementary school, some I had known on
other jobs, other occasions, other better times, and some of my ex's
relatives I had never met before. One woman I had grown up with brought
me a snapshot of us in the 7th grade. She died shortly afterward she
gave it to me.

One of the nicest days of all was a Christmas Eve I had off because my
daughter was coming in from someplace up north. I picked her up at the
airport, then I, and my other daughter and SIL, took her shopping so she
could buy little gifties for Christmas.

I enjoyed all the Mallites who came to the Mall and all those Mallites
who worked in the Mall. Fifteen years ago, it was the hottest shopping
spot in Memphis. Now,this Christmas Eve, the Mall is closing. The
anchor stores left two years ago. Mostly it is vacant now--a few shops,
the ice rink, and the county clerk's office where you can renew your
driver's license. A tiny town has died.
Blake

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Nov 30, 2003, 11:44:57 PM11/30/03
Is the hen scratch cheaper than squirrel corn? Or are your squirrels
just eating the sunflower seeds? Blake
---------------------

We feed the birds and "squrriels" daily. I bought some real, "killer
diller " squirrel food about 5 years ago, corn tidbits, whole grain, and
some kind of berries. The squrriles wouldn't touch it. I put out hen
scratch that I mix with sunflower seeds. The Red Birds, Blue Jays,
Squirrels, Crackles and sparrows all flock to it. Robert

Marian

Dec 1, 2003, 7:49:21 AM12/1/03
What a great story, Blake! You are such a fine writer. I feel like I worked
there too. And miss it...

Marian

Vickie

Dec 1, 2003, 8:23:54 AM12/1/03
Lonestar wrote:
[..]

> Welp, it is about 65º here in Fort Worth,Tx. The only thing feeling like
> Christmas is reading in the newspaper about the Idiots that arrived at
> the malls at 4am to "Shop" the day after Thanksgiving....I read this
> morning that a stupid woman standing in line at a Walmart in Orange
> County, Florida was knocked to the ground and trampled by the insane
> idiots that were rushing to by a $29 DVD player. Walmart informed her
> that they "saved" her one. Sheeshe!!! What a bunch of Sick SOB's.
> I suppose she will be awarded the Shopper's Purple Heart citation for 2003.

In our paper it said she was knocked unconscious .. and that they found
a DVD box underneath her. ;)

The "Tree" is
> settling in the den letting the limbs get acclimated and we will adorn
> it with lights and decorations tomorrow nite,(some are 53 years old from
> my granddmom's). We will "top" the tree with a lighted Santa while
> enjoying some hot choclate with marshmellows.
> Ho Ho Ho!
> Robert :-)

Sounds so lovely.

Bobbie

Dec 1, 2003, 8:25:06 AM12/1/03
I agree. I just love your stories, and the way you write, always
interesting, always an education.
Thank you Blake...

Bobbie:-)

"Marian" <lust...@aol.com> wrote in message

Vickie

Dec 1, 2003, 8:51:56 AM12/1/03
How sad, Blake. But a beautiful piece of writing.

Vickie

LoneStar

Dec 1, 2003, 10:30:58 AM12/1/03

DittyDu...@webtv.net wrote:
> Is the hen scratch cheaper than squirrel corn? Or are your squirrels
> just eating the sunflower seeds? Blake

Yes it is cheaper and all birds can eat it. The squirrels will feed on
just about anything.
Robert

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Dec 1, 2003, 10:21:16 AM12/1/03
I thank you all for your compliments.

Beside the ringing of the Salvation Army kettle bells, do you know this
old time fiddle tune?

Christmas is a-comin' and the goose is gettin' fat.
Please to put a penny in an ole man's hat.
If you haven't got a penny, then an 'apenny will do.
If you haven't got an 'apenny, then God Bless You.

My daughter hates it.
Blake

mj

Dec 3, 2003, 4:30:51 PM12/3/03
**Dalin** wrote:

As I've remarked a million times, with a couple of exceptions when up in
the mountains, I have never been in a 'real' snow fall. I'd love to
experience a snowy winter but I'd have a heart attack if I had to drive in
it. After all, I'm a Florida, California and Nevada girl very short on snow
experience. :-)

mj

mj

BeeLady

Dec 3, 2003, 8:17:00 PM12/3/03
Blake, you should send this to the CA. I know they'd love to publish it!
BJ

<DittyDu...@webtv.net> wrote in message

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Dec 3, 2003, 10:20:56 PM12/3/03
Sure, they would, BJ! They are having a contest right now to figure out
what to do with that mall. Also the Pyramid, as soon as it's empty.
Also the colliseum.

Remember Zollie Howard? Used to be City Editor of the Press Scimitar?
Edwin Howard's father? Well, after he retired, he sometimes wrote book
reviews for them. He said they paid him $5 per book review. Me, they
would pay nada. Should I cast my pearls of wisdom before such swine?
My immortal words, lost in that dying rag? Nevah!

Better I should fling them out into cyberspace where they will float
amongst the shining stars, and echo back to haunt all the poor souls who
have nothing better to read until they can get to the library.
So there.
But thank you for the compliment, anyway.
Blake
-----------------
bee...@carolina.rr.com (BeeLady)

Vickie

Dec 4, 2003, 7:09:18 AM12/4/03
DittyDu...@webtv.net wrote:
[..] Should I cast my pearls of wisdom before such swine?

> My immortal words, lost in that dying rag? Nevah!
>
> Better I should fling them out into cyberspace where they will float
> amongst the shining stars, and echo back to haunt all the poor souls who
> have nothing better to read until they can get to the library.
> So there.
> But thank you for the compliment, anyway.
> Blake

:) Yes, please keep flinging them our way, Blake.