swine flue

Jean B.

Nov 10, 2009, 8:28:31 AM11/10/09
Much to my dismay, my broker, whom we spent much time with on
Saturday, has the swine flu. I am sure he must have been
contagious when we saw him. Please send positive vibes--directing
them especially at my daughter.
--
Jean B.

Bobbie

Nov 10, 2009, 9:10:10 AM11/10/09

Sorry to hear this Jean. I hope very much that you and Leah might be
spared infection.

Bobbie

Jean B.

Nov 10, 2009, 9:41:54 AM11/10/09

Gee. I didn't even spell flu right. :-( I really do need to be
more careful about that.

I need to look up zinc + flu--maybe zinc would be useful? OTOH,
one of my arms was aching yesterday, even before I heard this, and
now the other one is. I sure hope it is just an anomaly!

--
Jean B.

Marsha

Nov 10, 2009, 9:45:35 AM11/10/09
Most certainly, maybe you should call your doctor and tell him
"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote in message

Don

Nov 10, 2009, 10:34:17 AM11/10/09

Jean B.

If zinc doesn't work try rubbing some oinkment on it:-) I just had
to say it. Seriously though maybe it isn't the swine flu but the
regular one. It is going around here as well.

Don

Joy

Nov 10, 2009, 1:29:34 PM11/10/09
"Don" <d.e...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Jean B.

Don

***

Better yet, I hope it's just a temporary ache and no kind of flu at all.

Joy

normak

Nov 10, 2009, 1:37:57 PM11/10/09

"Joy" <toa...@real-me.net> wrote in message

i would gues that to be the case as well.

I have aches and pains this time of the year with some arthritic joints and
then the muscles also hurt. I use a nice ointment and some aleve, and it is
much better.

However, my grandchildren have the flu with the usual cough and cold-like
stuff. The last two years, I got it from them, so I am taking popsicles and
things to them and staying out of range. Hope it works.

Our clinic didn't get the regular flu vaccine, so I'm not sure if I will try
to find some or not. Maybe the public health dept. will come through.

NormaK

ylem

Nov 10, 2009, 2:36:19 PM11/10/09

Hope you guys don't get it...I can't keep track of all the contagions
going on right now...Swine, H1N1...
Viruses ... they're a marvel of evolutionary efficiency.
Don't know what to say...lots of rest and fluids...chicken soup?
:/
Ylem

toci

Nov 10, 2009, 2:53:24 PM11/10/09

And keep a box of tissues handy. Toci

Marian

Nov 10, 2009, 5:49:01 PM11/10/09

What's the incubation period? Need to know how long I to keep my
fingers crossed... for you two

Keep rested; drink lotsa fluids: chicken soup, orange juice, Coke
(really)....

All best wishes, Jean!

Marian

Lorraine

Nov 10, 2009, 6:52:21 PM11/10/09

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote in message

Oh my Jean, I hope you and Leah won't catch it.

One of my grand nephews caught it last week (Wednesday). He has been in bed
since. He is 24 and said to my brother (his grand-father) that he feels
like 100 years old. One of our employees caught it...been at home since
last Thursday. Doctor said to rest and take Tylenol every 4 hours. It
seems that there is not much to do when we get it.

Sending positive vibes.........

Lorraine

Gregory Hall

Nov 10, 2009, 6:59:14 PM11/10/09
"Lorraine" <lorrai...@home.com> wrote in message

Some people are such sissies! I got it last July and I was only ill for
three days with muscle aches, fever in the 102 range, loss of appetite, sore
throat, snotty nose, etc. I didn't even let it alter my regular routine and
put over 300 miles training on my bicycle that week.

People need to get their lazy butts out of bed because that alone prolongs
the flu forever and often turns it into pneumonia. You don't get pneumonia
when you are up and active even while you are running a fever. And lay off
the Tylenol. That stuff does NOTHING for the cause. It just masks the
symptoms a little.

People are such ignorant drones these days. . .

--
Gregory Hall

Lorraine

Nov 10, 2009, 10:34:02 PM11/10/09

"Gregory Hall" <greg...@home.fake> wrote in message
I wonder if you are a real man Gregory....no man on this earth will do what
you just wrote LOL.

No need to continue with you on the subject until you can assess that you
are a real male :-)

Lorraine

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Nov 11, 2009, 12:46:06 AM11/11/09
Jean, I am thinking of Leah and hoping she has not been infected. They
are telling us here that the treatment for seasonal flue and swine flu
is the same, also the symptoms are very similar.
The clue is, to watch, if the child's fever breaks, and seems to be
getting well, then returns. Watch for coughing and breathing problems.
The second time around may be very bad. Most cases have been mild,
here; most children hav e not needed hospitalization. They are
expecting the really bad outbreak to come later in the winter. If Leah
gets it this time and recovers well, then she will be immune for the
virulent attacks they are expecting as the epidemic returns. I hope
Leah will remain well and not be infected.HOw about you? Watch yourself
for symptoms. Use it as an excuse to goof off some, if you feel the
slightest ache. Don't push yourself and get exhausted. Let us know how
you get along. Blake

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Nov 11, 2009, 12:57:49 AM11/11/09
I had heard 3 days incubation period. Then instead of leaving when the
fever goes down, the infection stays and is possible to infect others
for 5 more days,

So today, Tues. might start symptoms. Watch for it.

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Nov 11, 2009, 12:51:20 AM11/11/09
They are saying Tamiflu is working on most cases here. I think the main
monitoring is of children by the local children's hospital.
The aching is supposed to be general, not on one arm or leg. Cough and
fever will show up, if it is seasonal or whatever. Monitor the fever.

Graham

Nov 11, 2009, 3:12:24 AM11/11/09

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> schreef in bericht

And I get my first swine flu shot Friday, Friday the thirteenth that is, not
a great sign. Hope you and Lea stay fit.
L.
G.

Jean B.

Nov 11, 2009, 8:54:23 AM11/11/09

Yes, Leah is a concern. I do know the warning signs--esp. that
returning fever. I have stashed information about when to see a
doctor, and actually could find that and send it to my broker. If
need be, I'll review it.

Thanks to you and everyone else who sent good vibes!

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Nov 11, 2009, 8:56:30 AM11/11/09
That's an issue, since I have a chronic cough and throat issues.
Leah denies being sick (in general, not speaking of now) until it
becomes totally undeniable.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Nov 11, 2009, 8:58:27 AM11/11/09

Heh! Well, if the dates haven't changed we have important
transactions to deal with on Friday. It's lucky we are not
superstitious!

I am happy to hear you will be getting some protection in the next
few days.

Love,

--
Jean B.

Graham

Nov 11, 2009, 9:03:55 AM11/11/09

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> schreef in bericht

Would you believe it will be 2015 before another Friday the thirteenth, and
we have to be so 'lucky' this week.
L.
G.

Jean B.

Nov 11, 2009, 9:11:14 AM11/11/09

Now, you have shucked other superstitions, so I hope you aren't
too serious about this one!

Love,

--
Jean B.

Graham

Nov 11, 2009, 9:42:14 AM11/11/09

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> schreef in bericht

Ask me Friday;-)
L.
G.

Gregory Hall

Nov 11, 2009, 12:21:10 PM11/11/09
"Lorraine" <lorrai...@home.com> wrote in message

What keep training on my bicycle in spite of a little fever and other
symptoms? Lots of people keep training through their little colds and flu.
We athletes have learned we can shorten the length and severity by
continuing to train.

> No need to continue with you on the subject until you can assess that you
> are a real male :-)
>
> Lorraine

You should try proofreading your posts. You don't make a lick of sense.
Especially the last sentence. And, is being a 'real male' have any real
bearing on Usenet? I think not. I could be a female for all you know about
me.

--
Gloria Hall

Bioboffin

Nov 13, 2009, 9:18:34 AM11/13/09

"Graham" <j.hu...@chello.nl> wrote in message

Hello Graham,

Nice to see you on here. I got my swine 'flu vaccination last Saturday
(swine in the right arm, seasonal in the left arm). It did cause a mini
muscle ache for a couple of days. I have to go back in three weeks for a
'booster' thanks to my underlying condition, but Alison is now all done.
(She got the jabs because she is my "carer" - although sometimes, I wonder
who is looking after whom).

--

John

Bioboffin

Nov 13, 2009, 9:32:00 AM11/13/09

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote in message
Hello Jean,

Sorry to hear you are struck down with 'flu'. You are quite right to be
concerned - 'flu is frequently underestimated, not least by those men who
think they have 'flu when in fact they have a bad cold. (And yes, it is
usually men, in my experience).

Contrary to some advice you might have read on here, keeping warm is
important in reducing the risk of onset of the subsequent pneumonia.

As someone else suggested, keep a close eye on body temperature - the high
temperature is the most distinctive feature of influenza vs colds. I've
found also, on the relatively few occasions when I have had 'flu rather than
a cold, that it seems to start bottom up - i.e. lungs first with the cough
and sore throat, later developing into the muscle aches and headache. Runny
nose, if at all comes late on (and may actually be one of those follow-on
infections).

I hope you don't need any of these comments - good luck to you and Leah.

--

John

Jean B.

Nov 13, 2009, 9:45:21 AM11/13/09
Thanks, John. Actually, so far, so good. My broker was not able
to attend yesterday's meeting. The seller's broker was MOST
concerned about having been exposed to the flu (see, I really do
know how to spell this when I am not in "autotype" mode!) on
Saturday. It made me feel quite calm by comparison!

I still haven't looked into minimum and maximum incubation
periods. [pause] Our Center for Disease Control says "The
estimated incubation period is unknown and could range from 1-7
days, and more likely 1-4 days." If that is true, we may be okay.

Nice to see you posting, John. I hope all is okay with you and
Alison.

--
Jean B.

Bioboffin

Nov 13, 2009, 10:51:12 AM11/13/09

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote in message
We're fine, thanks. Early on in this pandemic, I seem to recall hearing that
the incubation period was thought to be about a week. I don't think that was
particularly definitive though.

--

John

normak

Nov 13, 2009, 11:08:29 AM11/13/09

"Bioboffin" <J...@myhouse.invalid> wrote in message

My grandchildren are at my house, and very sick with swine flu "after"
getting the nasal vaccine. They have been really sick. Hopefully we won't
get it, but their mother did. We'll see.

NormaK

**Dalin**

Nov 13, 2009, 11:27:44 AM11/13/09
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:08:29 -0600, "normak" <njk...@qREMOVETHIS.com>
wrote:

Gee, the vaccine isn't supposed to give you the flu! I know my
brother-in-law is still sick after a month. I hope your grands will
be ok and that you won't catch it from them. I know caring for sick
children can really wear you out and you don't need that. Good luck
Norma.

Dalin

Jean B.

Nov 13, 2009, 11:56:42 AM11/13/09
I don't like that nasal vaccine! I hope your family will soon be
well.

--
Jean B.

Marsha

Nov 13, 2009, 12:02:32 PM11/13/09
That's what they seem to be giving kids. Next week starts with out high
school kids, then the younger ones. The younger ones already got the regular
flu mist

Graham

Nov 13, 2009, 6:09:45 PM11/13/09

"Bioboffin" <J...@myhouse.invalid> schreef in bericht

>> Ask me Friday;-)
>> L.
>> G.
>
> Hello Graham,
>
> Nice to see you on here. I got my swine 'flu vaccination last Saturday
> (swine in the right arm, seasonal in the left arm). It did cause a mini
> muscle ache for a couple of days. I have to go back in three weeks for a
> 'booster' thanks to my underlying condition, but Alison is now all done.
> (She got the jabs because she is my "carer" - although sometimes, I wonder
> who is looking after whom).
>
> --
>
> John
One in each arm? Here there has to be a month between seasonal and swine, so
today I got my first swine shot, the second (everybody is getting 2 here) in
3 weeks time. No aches a month ago or today, bit boring actually ;-)
G.

Jean B.

Nov 13, 2009, 9:07:56 PM11/13/09
Graham wrote:
> One in each arm? Here there has to be a month between seasonal and
> swine, so today I got my first swine shot, the second (everybody is
> getting 2 here) in 3 weeks time. No aches a month ago or today, bit
> boring actually ;-)
> G.

Sometimes boring is good.

--
Jean B.

DittyDu...@webtv.net

Nov 13, 2009, 10:10:07 PM11/13/09
We were told that the nasal spray vaccine is made from live virus, then
some folks didn't want their children to have it. When it came in and
was available, they changed their minds, as by then a healthy 7th grade
kid, football boy, had died from swine flu. That scared everybody.
Still haven't gotten h1n1 vaccine here.
Got seasonal flu vaccine some time ago. About that time, as school
started we had an epidemic of flu, and a parent panic attack. That was
when our Children's hospital erected a tent outside the ER and equipped
it like an ER, with all the personnel they could muster at the time. It
blew over, without very many children having to be admitted to the
hospital

They announced then that the seasonal flu vaccine seemed to help ward
off some of the swine flu infections. or make for lighter cases. They
are still saying that they expect a resurge of h1n1 when the flu season
starts, and that it will cause more severe cases than now. So we wait
to see if we will get any of the swine vaccine. We have had only enough
to inoculate health care workers, plus some of the nasal spray. and
also the special kind approved for small children,
So we wait. I hope not to be exposed.
blake

Bioboffin

Nov 15, 2009, 6:19:08 AM11/15/09

"Graham" <j.hu...@chello.nl> wrote in message

We were told that they put one in each arm, so that if there is a reaction
they have an indication of which vaccine caused it. In the UK we have two
types of vaccine: Pandemrix and Celvapan. Celvapan always needs two shots,
but Pandemrix (which is made in the traditional way in eggs) only needs one
for most people. I'm not sure what is in use in the rest of Europe, I
believe there are differences from one country to another.

--

John

Graham

Nov 15, 2009, 9:01:37 AM11/15/09

"Bioboffin" <J...@myhouse.invalid> schreef in bericht

I did a search and in Holland we are vaccinating with two vaccines:
. Focetria from Novartis and
. Pandemrix from GlaxoSmithKline
I read that Focetria was authorised by the EU (The European Medicines
Agency) a week earlier than Celvapan, which may explain why we ordered it. I
have no idea which one I got I can only presume on you information
Pandemrix, I will ask to see the vile in 3 weeks time.
I very occasionally get itchy legs at night, some people say this may have
to do with the Statin I take, (Lipitor) that I take before bed time, I have
no idea, nor do I care much, but the last couple of nights since the shot it
has been happening, this may or may not be a reaction between the two, who
knows. Anyway four months ago I ordered ten tubes of Aqueous cream from
Amazon UK (not sold here) for problems with my complexion (spots) it was
absolutely useless and I have found something else that clears it up
wonderfully. Again the complexion problem could be a reaction to one of the
eight medications I use, don't know or much care as it is no longer a
problem. Anyway to cut a short story long, a nice thick spreading of the
Aqueous cream (thank goodness I have found a use for it) stops the itching
immediately. I haven't reported this as a side effect I guess they have
better things to do right now.
Aqueous cream use by date six months;-)
Graham

Graham

Nov 15, 2009, 9:08:58 AM11/15/09

"Graham" <j.hu...@chello.nl> schreef in bericht

Sorry wrong glasses.... Aqueous cream use by date three months. A month ago
;-)
G.

Jean B.

Nov 15, 2009, 9:18:12 AM11/15/09
I wonder whether that is a REAL expiration date? So many such
things are not, with the item being perfectly fine LONG after the
given date.

--
Jean B.

Graham

Nov 15, 2009, 9:24:43 AM11/15/09

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> schreef in bericht

Works fine, I have no intention of dumping 8 tubes, mind you it was dirt
cheap, a pound a tube, as long as it works, I only need it once a month or
so ......
G.

Bioboffin

Nov 15, 2009, 10:24:05 AM11/15/09

> "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> schreef in bericht

Anyway to cut a short story long, a

>>> Sorry wrong glasses.... Aqueous cream use by date three months. A month
>>> ago ;-)
>>> G.
>>>
>> I wonder whether that is a REAL expiration date? So many such things are
>> not, with the item being perfectly fine LONG after the given date.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.
>
> Works fine, I have no intention of dumping 8 tubes, mind you it was dirt
> cheap, a pound a tube, as long as it works, I only need it once a month or
> so ......
> G.

I think you've done well to find a cream which stops itching. I get eczema
from time to time, and the stuff sold for that to ease itching does
absolutely nothing as far as I can tell!

We have quite a collection of old medicines with expired use by dates in the
medicine cabinet. I'd be concerned about using one for something serious,
but for most of the run-of-the mill irritants, I usually take a chance! No
noticeable ill-effects so far.

--

John

Message has been deleted