[shop] What is your underlying philosophy?

Alexandra

Mar 28, 2005, 7:26:38 PM3/28/05
Since I was a teenager, I was an existentialist, although I was too
afraid to admit that; I worried people would think me a pessimist. I
WAS pessimistic, and failed to understand that existentialism is
anything but. But recently, it became very plain to me that I am an
existentialist. After many, many years, I started to reread
Kierkegaard, de Beauvoir and Sartre. I would say I was more in anguish
in my teens, crying about how absurd life is. Now, I am enamored with
the goals of existentialism--responsiblity and definition of self.

This philosophy has affected the way I write, though I was
semi-conscious of it all along. I always admired writers who were
deeply affected by these ideas: Ralph Ellison, Flannery O'Connor,
Albert Camus. When I look at what I've written, I see that my
characters strive to find a balance between infinitude and finitude, or
they are overwhelmed by infinitude or finitude. When one of my
character tries to strike the balance between the two, the story is not
necessarily upbeat, as the character discovers the work she has to do
at the end in order to define herself. But, when my characters are
overwhelmed with finitude and infinitude, they head for disaster, as
their selves become lost.

I was curious as to what ideas propel your stories. Would like to see
your thoughts.

Best,
Alex

RWW

Mar 28, 2005, 8:12:52 PM3/28/05
On 28 Mar 2005 16:26:38 -0800, "Alexandra" <ajd74...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

I too love the Existentialists. Mostly the form of fiction. REading
Sartre is about as boring as it gets, but Nausea? O, man, that drives
it home.

One book that deals with Existentialism in the arts is Irrational
Man--and I can't remember the author (barrett, I think). It was
required in graduate school, and really gave me a dose of all the
major players, and minor ones. I doubt I would have discovered Celine
if I hadn't read that.

Anyway, interesting how the realisation of finite existence, a
non-determined life, and the responsibility and freedom that come with
it leads your characters to head for disaster. I think that's true for
a lot of people who find despair in the existentialist concepts, as
opposed to, what I feel, incredible joy that my life is mine, and I am
free to do evil or good and each day can be made better by making
choices.

So, in response to yoru question, I guess I attempt to integrate
existentialism into my stories too, but usually from the point of view
of individuals who can't or won't accept that they are free, and
consequently are afraid, or feel trapped.

I also like to focus on the forces that loom in an absurd world. The
out of the blue fucking monstrous acts that occur, the fanged mouth
agape and poised over the child, the earth splitting open in utter
disgust and swallowing the motherfuckering populous all.

Okay, that felt good.

Cool post. Thanks.

--R

Servo

Mar 28, 2005, 8:11:28 PM3/28/05

Alexandra <ajd74...@yahoo.com> wrote

> I was curious as to what ideas propel your stories. Would like to see
> your thoughts.

I'm a botulist.

Botulism is not very widespread, and since it often causes
paralysis, perhaps that would explain why few talk about it.

In its more salutary forms, however, it can help a writer
purge their systems and get things flowing.

Servo

Wind River

Mar 28, 2005, 8:34:30 PM3/28/05
Alexandra wrote:

> I was curious as to what ideas propel your stories. Would like to see
> your thoughts.

As most here know, nature and tying humans into it. Also using wildlife
to symbolize human emotional states.

Sue

Dr Zen

Mar 28, 2005, 9:52:35 PM3/28/05

Alexandra wrote:
> Since I was a teenager, I was an existentialist, although I was too
> afraid to admit that; I worried people would think me a pessimist. I
> WAS pessimistic, and failed to understand that existentialism is
> anything but.

Quite. Existentialism is a valiant, but failed, attempt to bring
meaning a world that it recognises a priori lacks it. That's
essentially optimistic.

It fails because it never satisfactorily places meaning externally to
the self. This wouldn't be a problem if it was idealist but it is not.
The conflict between a materialist understanding of phenomena and a
conception of meaning that makes it a product of mind alone) is
particularly apparent when existentialists insist on universals. If we
are entirely separate and entirely free, we cannot be bound by anything
shared.

Personally, I am more persuaded by materialism than Sartre and more
convinced that meaning is entirely absent and must be constructed. I
suppose this would make me a nihilist.

Do I write that into my fiction? Not really. Not always, although I'd
say that I do steer clear of presupposed meanings.

But I do not write about nihilist heroes struggling with the
ramifications of their philosophy. I write about human beings who are
convinced that there is meaning and try to understand it.

> But recently, it became very plain to me that I am an
> existentialist. After many, many years, I started to reread
> Kierkegaard, de Beauvoir and Sartre.

Poor you! Once is enough for any one of the three. I studied Sartre and
had to read a great deal, more than once. Why do Frenchies have such a
love of long words and convoluted prose? De Beauvoir is entirely a
waste of paper.

> I would say I was more in anguish
> in my teens, crying about how absurd life is. Now, I am enamored
with
> the goals of existentialism--responsiblity and definition of self.

Are they goals? I rather felt Sartre believed they were imperatives.

> This philosophy has affected the way I write, though I was
> semi-conscious of it all along. I always admired writers who were
> deeply affected by these ideas: Ralph Ellison, Flannery O'Connor,
> Albert Camus. When I look at what I've written, I see that my
> characters strive to find a balance between infinitude and finitude

You what?

> or
> they are overwhelmed by infinitude or finitude.

How?

> When one of my
> character tries to strike the balance between the two, the story is
not
> necessarily upbeat, as the character discovers the work she has to do
> at the end in order to define herself.

What does defining yourself have to do with finitude exactly? I'm not
asking what Heidegger says. I'm asking what you say.

> But, when my characters are
> overwhelmed with finitude and infinitude, they head for disaster, as
> their selves become lost.

Are you a fan at all of Emerson? He was no existentialist although he
did believe in defining yourself.

> I was curious as to what ideas propel your stories. Would like to
see
> your thoughts.

In La chute, the main character, I felt, could not separate his
internal sense of meaning from that imposed from outside. Do you think
perhaps Camus was trying to tell us that existentialism could never
succeed because it could never free itself from a frame of reference?
And that if you cannot do that you cannot hope to be the sole arbiter
of meaning?

I think the postmodernists took that disjunction as their starting
point and were far closer to the "truth" than the existentialists. I'm
not surprised the latter appeal to you though, nor that they appeal to
Robert. You're both essentially modernists and a little afraid of
postmodernism. Having had that kind of education, I am too, but I've
begun to learn how my understanding of art and aesthetics can fit into
a more postmodern understanding of the world and how meaning is arrived
at. I probably could have done without my eyes' being opened because I
wrote a lot more when I was as enamoured of "art" as Robert is. I find
myself stuck in a halfway house. I would like my writing more were it
more modernist, if you like, but temperamentally I can no longer write
that way easily. I would in particular find it hard to inject the
notion of the universal truth, which so inspired modernism (and by
extension existentialists), into it.

Z.

Electric Angel

Mar 28, 2005, 10:30:44 PM3/28/05
My underlining philosophy is Christianity. A more in-house debate ranging in
my mind is the conflict between Calvinism and Arminianism. This is basically
a theological debate on the existence of free will - more specifically the
depravity of human nature and whether or not depraved human beings can
freely choose to follow God.

Connected to this is the ongoing struggle between the flesh and holy living.
Must be why I like Prince so much.

EA

"I wouldn't mind being in an American film for a laugh, but I certainly
don't want to be in Thingy Blah Blah 3, if you know what I mean."

- French actress Audrey Tautou.
"Alexandra" <ajd74...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Dr Zen

Mar 28, 2005, 11:19:52 PM3/28/05

Electric Angel wrote:
> My underlining philosophy is Christianity. A more in-house debate
ranging in
> my mind is the conflict between Calvinism and Arminianism. This is
basically
> a theological debate on the existence of free will - more
specifically the
> depravity of human nature and whether or not depraved human beings
can
> freely choose to follow God.

You mean that if God has created them depraved they cannot truly be
said to be free to choose?

It's an interesting issue. If God creates us with a propensity to sin,
how can he then be angry that we sin? If he does not, who or what gave
us the propensity to sin? Are you attracted at all to gnosticism, EA?

> Connected to this is the ongoing struggle between the flesh and holy
living.

Frankly, I don't think God would give a fuck. His notion of good and
the Victorian morality that most biblethumpers espouse are very
unlikely to coincide. He would not have created us as creatures of the
flesh if he thought fleshliness was a bad thing, surely? Or perhaps he
created us as perfect beings and someone else introduced the
fleshliness?

> Must be why I like Prince so much.

Perhaps you have a touch of goat in you?

Z.

Message has been deleted

smelly rabbit

Mar 29, 2005, 5:06:14 PM3/29/05
The stories I have been writing recently (not ones I've posted here)
are concerned with characters who are flawed, and vulnerable, and
limited in their understanding of both society and their own "self" by
their upbringing and their surroundings, but who nevertheless try to do
what they consider to be "right". They don't always succeed, but there
is always the hope they might. They don't always do what others might
consider to be "right", but I would hope their motivation is enough to
show it is what they would believe to be right. I don't know if this
is optimistic or not. Sometimes my characters come out on the losing
end, but I don't think that's depressing either. The fact is, at least
they try. I don't always like my characters, but I try to treat them
with what I consider to be fairness and balance, so I tell their story.
I think this helps.

Did I answer your question, Alexandra?

Alexandra

Mar 29, 2005, 7:12:16 PM3/29/05
> I too love the Existentialists. Mostly the form of fiction. REading
> Sartre is about as boring as it gets, but Nausea? O, man, that drives
> it home.

I'm reading Being and Nothingness. It's not horrible if you read
slowly and carefully. I've read a lot worse. But, I think I like
Kierkegaard the best. I like de Beauvoir, especially what she says
about the artist and the critic. <g>

> One book that deals with Existentialism in the arts is Irrational
> Man--and I can't remember the author (barrett, I think). It was
> required in graduate school, and really gave me a dose of all the
> major players, and minor ones. I doubt I would have discovered Celine
> if I hadn't read that.

I need to put Celine on my list.

> Anyway, interesting how the realisation of finite existence, a
> non-determined life, and the responsibility and freedom that come
with
> it leads your characters to head for disaster. I think that's true
for
> a lot of people who find despair in the existentialist concepts, as
> opposed to, what I feel, incredible joy that my life is mine, and I
am
> free to do evil or good and each day can be made better by making
> choices.

That's it, pretty much. I feel a lot of joy in looking at how I can
define my life and its course.

> So, in response to yoru question, I guess I attempt to integrate
> existentialism into my stories too, but usually from the point of
view
> of individuals who can't or won't accept that they are free, and
> consequently are afraid, or feel trapped.
>
> I also like to focus on the forces that loom in an absurd world. The
> out of the blue fucking monstrous acts that occur, the fanged mouth
> agape and poised over the child, the earth splitting open in utter
> disgust and swallowing the motherfuckering populous all.
>
> Okay, that felt good.
>
> Cool post. Thanks.

Ha! Well, when something's on my mind, I bring it up and see if anyone
else is on my wavelength.

Alexandra

Mar 29, 2005, 7:55:09 PM3/29/05
I think what you're saying is fair. But I had been in academia for a
long time and was exposed to postmodernism to the point where it
stifled my creativity. During the years I was in college and grad
school, I stopped writing fiction, which was astonishing as I had been
churning out stories since I was six years old. (I have a graduate
degree in history; I wrote a master's thesis about the U.S.
intervention debates at the height of the Bosnian Crisis.) Perhaps I
WAS afraid of postmodernism, and I am not afraid to admit that it's a
disconcerting way of looking at life. What disconcerted me about
postmodernism was that after all the deconstruction, what then could I
create out of this intellectual fallout? I couldn't create anything
under the postmodernist aesthetic. For me, it was like throwing up
confetti and keeping it suspended long enough for everyone to see it
and say, "Oh yeah, it's confetti suspended in the air." Then the stuff
would fall and wither away and no one would care. Maybe I am being
facile about the whole thing, and some postmodern writer would swat my
wrists and say how irreverent I am, etc., etc., but the postmodern
aesthetic doesn't work for me. Period.

But there are plenty of writers out there who are not exactly
postmodern, and that's comforting. (Ian McEwan, Donna Tartt, Alice
McDermott aren't particularly postmodern.) I do appreciate
postmodernism because after existentialism had its go, the time came
for new ideas. A good friend of mine is studying social theory and is
a huge fan of Foucault and Judith Butler because as a gay man,
postmodernist ideas are the right fit for him. One's philosophy is a
personal thing; a set of ideas has to feel right as well seem right.
Electric Angel is a Christian. I am an existentialist. Bob has a
kinship with the existentialists too. I could write volumes on my own
history, but the underlying theme of my last 31 years has been my NEED
for freedom, something existentialists hold dear. Take it away and I
am absolutely miserable. I am deadly serious when I say that.

Thanks for your points. I like having the opportunity to reaffirm my
beliefs.

Alex

Alexandra

Mar 29, 2005, 7:57:52 PM3/29/05
Yup. <g> Sounds like what you do is kind of similar to what I do.

Servo

Mar 29, 2005, 7:57:29 PM3/29/05

tm <t...@tmoero.invalid> wrote in message
> Servo wrote:
> > Alexandra wrote

> > > I was curious as to what ideas propel your stories. Would like to see
> > > your thoughts.
> >
> > I'm a botulist.
> >
> > Botulism is not very widespread, and since it often causes
> > paralysis, perhaps that would explain why few talk about it.
> >
> > In its more salutary forms, however, it can help a writer
> > purge their systems and get things flowing.
>
> Perhaps I'm shallow, but for me its all about the clothes. Writers
> have the best wardrobes.

Good to know. I just ordered eight $1500 suits. How long before
the effects show up in my writing?

Servo

Dr Zen

Mar 30, 2005, 12:20:07 AM3/30/05

Alexandra wrote:
> I think what you're saying is fair. But I had been in academia for a
> long time and was exposed to postmodernism to the point where it
> stifled my creativity. During the years I was in college and grad
> school, I stopped writing fiction, which was astonishing as I had
been
> churning out stories since I was six years old. (I have a graduate
> degree in history; I wrote a master's thesis about the U.S.
> intervention debates at the height of the Bosnian Crisis.) Perhaps I
> WAS afraid of postmodernism, and I am not afraid to admit that it's a
> disconcerting way of looking at life.

Yes but it's more honest.

> What disconcerted me about
> postmodernism was that after all the deconstruction, what then could
> create out of this intellectual fallout? I couldn't create anything
> under the postmodernist aesthetic.

Well, you can't judge what you've created.

> For me, it was like throwing up
> confetti and keeping it suspended long enough for everyone to see it
> and say, "Oh yeah, it's confetti suspended in the air." Then the
stuff
> would fall and wither away and no one would care. Maybe I am being
> facile about the whole thing, and some postmodern writer would swat
my
> wrists and say how irreverent I am, etc., etc., but the postmodern
> aesthetic doesn't work for me. Period.

It's the reason to care that is most brittle though. In a philosophical
sense, I find it difficult to give reason. In a practical sense, of
course, it's different.

> But there are plenty of writers out there who are not exactly
> postmodern, and that's comforting. (Ian McEwan, Donna Tartt, Alice
> McDermott aren't particularly postmodern.)

No, they're not at all postmodern. The aesthetic of "literary fiction"
is still resolutely modernist. That's partly why literary fiction has
increasingly become irrelevant.

Ian McEwan's an interesting case. He has become more of a modernist in
the grand style as he has progressed. He's become thematically less
challenging as his prose has become more formalised.

Donna Tartt is much less interesting, on account of being ferociously
overrated. Still, overrated tends to lead to overpaid, so it's not all
bad.

> I do appreciate
> postmodernism because after existentialism had its go, the time came
> for new ideas.

Well, existentialism was just so clearly wrong. It's wrong though to
see postmodernism as a replacement of existentialism. It's more broadly
a rejection of modernism, which represents much more than
existentialism.

> A good friend of mine is studying social theory and is
> a huge fan of Foucault and Judith Butler because as a gay man,
> postmodernist ideas are the right fit for him.

I wouldn't piss on Judith Butler if she was on fire. She's a chancer, a
pisstaker. She's never had any ideas and covers up for their lack by
writing impenetrably. Part of the difficulty in postmodernism is that
it has encouraged the notion that being difficult to read is the same
thing as being profound.

> One's philosophy is a
> personal thing; a set of ideas has to feel right as well seem right.

Well yes, to some extent.

> Electric Angel is a Christian. I am an existentialist. Bob has a
> kinship with the existentialists too. I could write volumes on my
own
> history, but the underlying theme of my last 31 years has been my
NEED
> for freedom, something existentialists hold dear.

Yes indeed, but philosophy is ultimately a great deal more than how you
feel about the world. What you are describing is religion. What I'm
describing is the work of reason, to which feeling is subsumed.

> Take it away and I
> am absolutely miserable. I am deadly serious when I say that.
>
> Thanks for your points. I like having the opportunity to reaffirm my
> beliefs.

LOL. I wish you had made some attempt to answer my questions rather
than stubbornly assert your *faith* in existentialism.

Z.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

RWW

Mar 30, 2005, 12:41:18 PM3/30/05
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:13:04 +0900, tm <t...@tmoero.invalid> wrote:

>Alexandra wrote:
>
>> Yup. <g> Sounds like what you do is kind of similar to what I do.
>

>I'm at a loss to respond, not knowing "what you do".

Noticed you've come aboard. Sorry for the aggression I spat at you in
alt.config. You seem to be a witty character. Do you write fiction? If
so, post some. I'd like to read it.

BTW, what do you like to be called?

--Robert

Andrew Callahan

Mar 30, 2005, 2:22:07 PM3/30/05
Servo, if you're getting new suits, maybe you could send me a couple of your
old ones.

Thanks.
Andrew

--
Andrew D. Callahan, Owner
Deadlines Typing Service

"Servo" <divi...@zero.nnoc> wrote in message

Andrew Callahan

Mar 30, 2005, 2:30:52 PM3/30/05

> I was curious as to what ideas propel your stories. Would like to see
> your thoughts.
>
> Best,
> Alex

Mostly my stories have something to do with confusion. I had never really
thought about it before, but almost everything I have posted has confusion
as a significant element. (I have written a few other things that have
either involved cheese, or a guy named Alaric, and occasionally both.)

I really don't know why confusion seems significant to me. I've been
pondering over it for about two hours now, since I first read your post. I
have been flooded with divergent answers, but none of them seem to clear up
why confusion seems significant to me.

I hope this answers your question.

Servo

Mar 30, 2005, 6:23:47 PM3/30/05

Andrew Callahan <and...@spamitupanytype.com> wrote in message

> Servo, if you're getting new suits, maybe you could send me a couple of
your
> old ones.
>
> Thanks.
> Andrew

Do you look good in red plastic?

Servo

Servo

Mar 30, 2005, 6:26:13 PM3/30/05

Andrew Callahan <and...@spamitupanytype.com> wrote

> I really don't know why confusion seems significant to me. I've been
> pondering over it for about two hours now, since I first read your post.
> have been flooded with divergent answers, but none of them seem to clear
up
> why confusion seems significant to me.

So... that would make you confused about the significance of
confusion?

Seems consistent enough to me. Heh.

Servo

Message has been deleted

nativelaw

Mar 30, 2005, 7:22:38 PM3/30/05
To never let philosophy interfere with Story.

Andrea

Alexandra

Mar 30, 2005, 7:35:20 PM3/30/05

nativelaw wrote:
> To never let philosophy interfere with Story.

That's fair because a philosophical tract isn't fiction. But isn't it
wonderful when a writer tells a story while ever so subtly showing what
her view on the world is, thus enlightening her reader? That's what
Flannery O'Conner did. When a writer can do that, I not only care
about the story, but I am also moved to ponder about life.

Andrew Callahan

nati...@hotmail.com

Mar 31, 2005, 5:57:03 PM3/31/05

We may be saying the same thing in different ways. I love many
Flannery O'Connor stories, but I guess I don't ascribe what I get from
them as necessarily having anything to do with her "world view." With a
good story, there may be many messages, and they may have nothing to do
with world view of the author. They may actually call more upon the
"world view" of the reader, if there is such a thing (I am not sure
there really is.) For example, I've been going back to the "classics"
a lot lately and rereading oldies; most recently, Kate Chopin's The
Awakening. Loved that book even 20 years later. Do I think the
author's world view is that suicide is a good way out if you're
desperately in love and broken-hearted? Do I think the author wants us
to get upset with Edna for taking what could be considered "the easy
way out?" Neither. I think the author wanted to tell a story, make it
real for the readers. I'm not sure what Chopin's world view is but I'm
sure that she wrote well about passions and about the characters in her
stories.

If we read, think, breathe, our views are often a mixture of many
different philosophies, taking the good from each, and will change
dependent on our stages in life and our experiences, often. To me
it's not an author's "world view" that enlightens me as reader, but
rather, the portrayal of characters, moments, conflicts, the telling of
a story that lets me figure something out I didn't know before about
some aspect of life, human relationships, etc. The "implied author"
may inform the mold and the "author's voice" may add zest and flavor to
a piece --there are some authors voices I get such comfort from I could
just sit and listen to the flow and beat of the words forever -- but
I'm just not sure their world views -- other than that they are
intelligent, sentient, sensitive beings -- have much to do with their
gift of story.

Of course, it's probably a spectrum kind of thing... I'd probably be
most accurate if there was a range of truth here with story that has a
strong message that hits a reader over the head (and thus the author's
"world view" seems most implied) to story that is susceptible of many
interpretations. But for me the best stories are not slaves to the
author's view at all. Why I said "don't interfere with" -- doesn't
mean there won't be influence, just I don't want what the author thinks
he/she knows or believes to muck things up. I like best when I am
lucky enough to write a story that surprises me or that I can learn
from.

You raise lots of intelligent questions, Alexandra; I bet your stories
would be good too. Consider posting one, or a section of one? I know
you would benefit greatly from the feedback, even more than shop talk.
The latter has value, of course, but it's no substitute.

Best,
Andrea

nati...@hotmail.com

Mar 31, 2005, 6:09:04 PM3/31/05

We may be saying the same thing in different ways. I love many

Alexandra

Mar 31, 2005, 7:05:35 PM3/31/05
> We may be saying the same thing in different ways. I love many
> Flannery O'Connor stories, but I guess I don't ascribe what I get
from
> them as necessarily having anything to do with her "world view." With
> good story, there may be many messages, and they may have nothing to
do
> with world view of the author.

Hmm. Flannery O'Connor was a devout Catholic, and much of her short
stories deal with spirituality. She shows her views without preaching.
Take a look at "Revelation." I don't think writers deliberately
infuse messages that have nothing to do with their world view. You
can't get away from your perceptions when you write a story.

They may actually call more upon the
> "world view" of the reader, if there is such a thing (I am not sure
> there really is.)

Well, here you raise an interesting point, as the a lot of literary
critics make something out of a work that the writer might not have
consciously intended to show. Sometimes a literary critic articulates
what the writer DID intend to show. But, I think writers do and should
have their eyes wide open and every word they write should be
intentional. Of course, sometimes you have, as what O'Connor used to
say, a "happy accident." But even after experiencing one of those, one
ought to reflect on it and develop it. Then at that point, the
"accident" becomes conscious.

For example, I've been going back to the "classics"
> a lot lately and rereading oldies; most recently, Kate Chopin's The
> Awakening. Loved that book even 20 years later.

I read that in 1991--senior year in high school. I prefer Madame
Bovary. Chopin is middle-brow in my view.

Do I think the
> author's world view is that suicide is a good way out if you're
> desperately in love and broken-hearted? Do I think the author wants
us
> to get upset with Edna for taking what could be considered "the easy
> way out?" Neither. I think the author wanted to tell a story, make
it
> real for the readers. I'm not sure what Chopin's world view is but
I'm
> sure that she wrote well about passions and about the characters in
her
> stories.

If I recall correctly, Chopin was trying to show the consequences of a
woman's decision to explore her sensuality via an extra-marital affair.
It's not that she "gets what she deserves" or that suicide is the only
solution; rather, the story is about a woman falling into a predicament
whose conditions come crashing down on her.

> If we read, think, breathe, our views are often a mixture of many
> different philosophies, taking the good from each, and will change
> dependent on our stages in life and our experiences, often. To me
> it's not an author's "world view" that enlightens me as reader, but
> rather, the portrayal of characters, moments, conflicts, the telling
of
> a story that lets me figure something out I didn't know before about
> some aspect of life, human relationships, etc. The "implied author"
> may inform the mold and the "author's voice" may add zest and flavor
> a piece --there are some authors voices I get such comfort from I
could
> just sit and listen to the flow and beat of the words forever -- but
> I'm just not sure their world views -- other than that they are
> intelligent, sentient, sensitive beings -- have much to do with their
> gift of story.

That's fair.

> Of course, it's probably a spectrum kind of thing... I'd probably be
> most accurate if there was a range of truth here with story that has
> strong message that hits a reader over the head (and thus the
author's
> "world view" seems most implied) to story that is susceptible of many
> interpretations.

See Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man for such an experience. One of my
favorite existentialist works.

But for me the best stories are not slaves to the
> author's view at all. Why I said "don't interfere with" -- doesn't
> mean there won't be influence, just I don't want what the author
thinks
> he/she knows or believes to muck things up. I like best when I am
> lucky enough to write a story that surprises me or that I can learn
> from.

> You raise lots of intelligent questions, Alexandra; I bet your
stories
> would be good too. Consider posting one, or a section of one?

I posted a journal entry a while back that I have developed into a
story. It's drafted, but I like to let it stew a while before I go
back and review it again. Perhaps I'll post it later. It's a good
5000 words, though.

I know
> you would benefit greatly from the feedback, even more than shop
talk.
> The latter has value, of course, but it's no substitute.
>
> Best,
> Andrea

Sure.

Cheers,
Alex

nati...@hotmail.com

Mar 31, 2005, 8:54:35 PM3/31/05

Alexandra wrote:

> For example, I've been going back to the "classics"
> > a lot lately and rereading oldies; most recently, Kate Chopin's The
> > Awakening. Loved that book even 20 years later.
>
> I read that in 1991--senior year in high school. I prefer Madame
> Bovary. Chopin is middle-brow in my view.

Well, shucks. Must be why I like her.

Alaric

Apr 1, 2005, 1:07:35 PM4/1/05
> Alexandra wrote:
>>
> Chopin is middle-brow in my view.

I think it depends. If you do your chopin in the mall, that's low brow.
Oxford Street, on the other hand....

doc

Apr 1, 2005, 1:35:42 PM4/1/05

Low-brow: Boone's Farm, 7-11, Wal-Mart, Toys-R-Us
High-brow: Chateauneuf du Pape, Starbucks, Saks Fifth Avenue, FAO Schwartz
Middle-brow: ?

doc

Josh Hill

Apr 1, 2005, 2:15:37 PM4/1/05

Macy's

--
Josh

nati...@hotmail.com

Apr 1, 2005, 5:47:25 PM4/1/05

Is that one anything like Fifth Avenue in NYC in its glory days? I
expect so.

And then, of course, there's unibrow. But that's regularly remodeled
into dualbrow in highbrow salons everywhere.

Alexandra

Apr 1, 2005, 6:34:30 PM4/1/05

Chopin is middle-brow in my view.

> >> Well, shucks. Must be why I like her.
> >
> >Low-brow: Boone's Farm, 7-11, Wal-Mart, Toys-R-Us
> >High-brow: Chateauneuf du Pape, Starbucks, Saks Fifth Avenue, FAO
Schwartz
> >Middle-brow: ?
>
> Macy's

Yeah, Macy's is middle-brow, if I'm being objective. But I hate
f***ing Macy's, especially the one in Herald Square. Rude sales
associates, lousy store layout. Saks is like walking into a museum.
Bloomies is all right. Nice sales associates, nice merchandise. I
haven't been to Bloomies in a while, as I don't work in Manhattan
anymore. (I work in Weehawken.) But I would rather read and write
than shop.

Hey, Andrea, I meant no disrespect about my view of Chopin. By now,
you ought to know that I'm very aboveboard, but I never mean to hurt
anyone's feelings. We Aquarians are like that. <g>

Best,
Alex

doc

Apr 1, 2005, 6:59:03 PM4/1/05

It's a start.

High-brow: Napa Valley wine-tasting, Aida, Cary Grant
Low-brow: Budweiser brewery tour, Tommy, Jim Carrey
Middle-brow: ?

Dr Zen

Apr 1, 2005, 7:20:32 PM4/1/05

Absolutely typical. You sniff a serious discussion, have nothing
whatsoever to offer to it, and try to derail it. Welcome back, you
inch-high blob.

Z.

Josh Hill

Apr 1, 2005, 7:41:33 PM4/1/05

Lowenbrau, The Pines of Rome, Edith Piaf

--
Josh

Josh Hill

Apr 1, 2005, 7:49:01 PM4/1/05
On 1 Apr 2005 15:34:30 -0800, "Alexandra" <ajd74...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Yeah, Macy's is middle-brow, if I'm being objective. But I hate
>f***ing Macy's, especially the one in Herald Square. Rude sales
>associates, lousy store layout. Saks is like walking into a museum.
>Bloomies is all right. Nice sales associates, nice merchandise. I
>haven't been to Bloomies in a while, as I don't work in Manhattan
>anymore. (I work in Weehawken.) But I would rather read and write
>than shop.

I've a theory that Macy's puts their salespeople through a slow
checkout course. Still, now that I live in the boonies, I miss Herald
Square -- the shopping mall Macy's here retains the phony sales and
the long lines, but otherwise it's to the real thing as Pizza Hut
pizza is to the drippy oily soft-hard crusty pizzeria article.

--
Josh

doc

Apr 1, 2005, 8:18:36 PM4/1/05

Do they still brew Lowenbrau in the US or did they finally give up on that?
It sure didn't taste like the stuff from Bavaria and I haven't touched it
in years.

Not sure where Edith Piaf fits with Cary Grant and Jim Carrey. Those two
had diametrically opposed comedic talents, although If you really want
low-brow, you can't go much lower than Ben Stiller.

Respighi's operas probably float a little above the forehead of most
middle-brows (whatever they are).

Thanks!

doc

Josh Hill

Apr 1, 2005, 8:59:52 PM4/1/05

True, true -- I'm not much on actors, couldn't think of a good example
-- Robin Williams, maybe, though I'm not sure whether you'd call him
middle or low.

>Respighi's operas probably float a little above the forehead of most
>middle-brows (whatever they are).

Heh, well, call me a snob.

And I like Tommy . . .

--
Josh

doc

Apr 1, 2005, 9:39:41 PM4/1/05

If you average out his on-stage performances with his movie roles, he's
probably hovering around the middle somewhere.

> >Respighi's operas probably float a little above the forehead of most
> >middle-brows (whatever they are).
>
> Heh, well, call me a snob.

Nah. I swore off insults for a while.

> And I like Tommy . . .

Me too.

High-Brow: Lawn tennis, chateaubriand, tea parties
Low-brow: Tractor pulls, chicken-fried steak, beer ball games
Middle-brow: ?

Josh Hill

Apr 1, 2005, 11:22:06 PM4/1/05
On 02 Apr 2005 02:39:41 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>joshu...@gmail.com wrote:

>> On 02 Apr 2005 01:18:36 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Respighi's operas probably float a little above the forehead of most
>> >middle-brows (whatever they are).
>>
>> Heh, well, call me a snob.
>
>Nah. I swore off insults for a while.

So have I, you scabrous louse-infested three-headed slime toad . . .

>> And I like Tommy . . .
>
>Me too.
>
>High-Brow: Lawn tennis, chateaubriand, tea parties
>Low-brow: Tractor pulls, chicken-fried steak, beer ball games
>Middle-brow: ?

Bridge, bagels, cocktail parties

--
Josh

doc

Apr 2, 2005, 12:06:00 AM4/2/05
joshu...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 02 Apr 2005 02:39:41 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:

> So have I, you scabrous louse-infested three-headed slime toad . . .

Saw my picture, eh?

> >> And I like Tommy . . .
> >
> >Me too.
> >
> >High-Brow: Lawn tennis, chateaubriand, tea parties
> >Low-brow: Tractor pulls, chicken-fried steak, beer ball games
> >Middle-brow: ?
>
> Bridge, bagels, cocktail parties
>
> >High-Brow: Bach, wood floors, pâté
> >Low-brow: Liberace, wall-to-wall carpet, Doritos
> >Middle-brow: ?

Billy Joel, area rugs, guacamole

High brow: Fyodor Dostoevsky, escargot, Bentley Arnage RL
Low-brow: Jacqueline Susann, Buffalo wings, Ford F150
Middle-Brow: ?

Alaric

Apr 2, 2005, 6:19:33 AM4/2/05
Did somebody speak?

"Dr Zen" <drz...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Alaric

Apr 2, 2005, 6:21:55 AM4/2/05
Oxford Street's past its glory days too.

I'm old enough to remember Carnaby Street.

<nati...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Josh Hill

Apr 2, 2005, 8:04:32 AM4/2/05
On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 11:21:55 +0000 (UTC), "Alaric"
<alar...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Oxford Street's past its glory days too.
>
>I'm old enough to remember Carnaby Street.

Wow. That's old. If I were that old, I'd remember that my mother
visited Carnaby Street when I was 13 or so and bought me a pair of
velvet bellbottoms and a paisley shirt with epaulets. How
embarrassing! Of course, I loved them.

--
Josh

Josh Hill

Apr 2, 2005, 9:18:38 AM4/2/05

--
Josh

Josh Hill

Apr 2, 2005, 4:44:01 PM4/2/05
On 02 Apr 2005 19:50:27 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>joshu...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On 02 Apr 2005 05:06:00 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>

>> >High brow: Fyodor Dostoevsky, escargot, Bentley Arnage RL
>> >Low-brow: Jacqueline Susann, Buffalo wings, Ford F150
>> >Middle-Brow: ? Ayn Rand, nachos and melted cheese, Miata MX-5
>

>Hey, those're pretty good! I almost went for nachos for low-brow but I
>can't get them at my local Gas-n-Go. Wings, yes. Pretty good, too.

Wings was inspired.

>> >High brow: The New York Review of Books, the Late Quartets, Audio
>> >Research Low-brow: People, Born in the USA, Bose
>> >Middle-Brow: ?
>

>Dang! I was holding "People" in reserve! But Bose? Oh, well.

Shoulda stuck with Casio, I guess . . . but Techics is spot on.

>Southern Living, The Age of Innocence, Technics
>
>High-brow: Chef Alain Ducasse, The Plaza, fly fishing
>Low-brow: Chef Boy-ar-dee, Motel 6, TNT
>Middle-brow: ? Chef Emeril Lagasse, The Hilton, PBS

High-brow: Oliver Wendell Holmes, The Times, the Hamptons
Low-brow: Judge Judy, The Daily Mirror, Disney World
Middle-brow: ?

--
Josh

doc

Apr 2, 2005, 5:19:40 PM4/2/05
joshu...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 02 Apr 2005 19:50:27 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
> >joshu...@gmail.com wrote:

> >Hey, those're pretty good! I almost went for nachos for low-brow but I
> >can't get them at my local Gas-n-Go. Wings, yes. Pretty good, too.
>
> Wings was inspired.

> >Dang! I was holding "People" in reserve! But Bose? Oh, well.
>
> Shoulda stuck with Casio, I guess . . . but Techics is spot on.
>
> >Southern Living, The Age of Innocence, Technics
> >
> >High-brow: Chef Alain Ducasse, The Plaza, fly fishing
> >Low-brow: Chef Boy-ar-dee, Motel 6, TNT
> >Middle-brow: ? Chef Emeril Lagasse, The Hilton, PBS

Excellent! I was torn between Emeril and the original Iron Chefs, myself. I
like the PBS as opposed to TNT, but I was thinking more in terms of
TNT=dynamite when referring to fishing. Shoulda said that.

> High-brow: Oliver Wendell Holmes, The Times, the Hamptons
> Low-brow: Judge Judy, The Daily Mirror, Disney World
> Middle-brow: ?

All right, you got me; I laughed at the Judge Judy. Good one.

M-B: Lance Ito, Newsweek, Colonial Williamsburg

Pretty weak, I guess. Can't top Judge Judy.

High-brow: Foxhall, "Master and Commander" Violin Concerto No. 3, fillet of
sole
Low-Brow: Foxhall's Trailer Park, "Deliverance" Dueling Banjos, catfish
nuggets
Middle-brow: ?

Josh Hill

Apr 2, 2005, 6:56:17 PM4/2/05
On 02 Apr 2005 22:19:40 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>joshu...@gmail.com wrote:

>> On 02 Apr 2005 19:50:27 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>>
>> >High-brow: Chef Alain Ducasse, The Plaza, fly fishing
>> >Low-brow: Chef Boy-ar-dee, Motel 6, TNT
>> >Middle-brow: ? Chef Emeril Lagasse, The Hilton, PBS
>
>Excellent! I was torn between Emeril and the original Iron Chefs, myself. I
>like the PBS as opposed to TNT, but I was thinking more in terms of
>TNT=dynamite when referring to fishing. Shoulda said that.

Laughed anyway when you explained it. When I was diving off the Sinai
Desert, someone said that the Bedouins somehow find WW II mines and
use them to kill fish.

Guess I should change that to troll fishing . . .

>> High-brow: Oliver Wendell Holmes, The Times, the Hamptons
>> Low-brow: Judge Judy, The Daily Mirror, Disney World
>> Middle-brow: ?
>
>All right, you got me; I laughed at the Judge Judy. Good one.
>
>M-B: Lance Ito, Newsweek, Colonial Williamsburg
>
>Pretty weak, I guess. Can't top Judge Judy.

I'm not sure who I'd put in there -- Scalia? Second should be a
British newspaper, though I'm afraid I didn't make that clear -- could
have said "The Times of London," but the "ahem" would have been
audible all the way across the Atlantic . . .

>High-brow: Foxhall, "Master and Commander" Violin Concerto No. 3, fillet of
> sole
>Low-Brow: Foxhall's Trailer Park, "Deliverance" Dueling Banjos, catfish
> nuggets
>Middle-brow: ?

Middle Brow: Foxhall Mall, "10" Bolero, King Crab

High-brow: Dalton, Klosters, Truffles
Low-Brow: George Washington HS, Mt. Snow, Pringles
Middle-brow: ?

--
Josh

doc

Apr 2, 2005, 8:03:24 PM4/2/05
joshu...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 02 Apr 2005 22:19:40 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
> >joshu...@gmail.com wrote:

> >Excellent! I was torn between Emeril and the original Iron Chefs,
> >myself. I like the PBS as opposed to TNT, but I was thinking more in
> >terms of TNT=dynamite when referring to fishing. Shoulda said that.
>
> Laughed anyway when you explained it. When I was diving off the Sinai
> Desert, someone said that the Bedouins somehow find WW II mines and
> use them to kill fish.

My kind of people.

Quick joke:

Ned the poacher had avoided capture for years and the game warden finally
decided to take the direct approach. "Ned," he said, "the next time you go
fishing, I'd be much obliged if you'd let me come along."

Ned looked at him and said, "Goin' right now. Hop in the boat."

So he does and Ned starts up the motor and heads for his favorite fishing
spot. When they get there, Ned cuts the motor, reaches into a bag, pulls
out a stick of dynamite, lights it, and tosses it into the water. The
dynamite goes off and dead and stunned fish float to the surface.

The warden is astounded. "Ned! I can't believe you just did that! Can't you
see I'm the warden? How could you do such a thing in front of me? Do you
know the penalty for dynamiting fish?"

Ned listens for a moment as the warden goes on then reaches into the bag
again, pulls out another stick of dynamite, lights it, and tosses it into
the startled warden's lap.

"You gonna sit there and yap," Ned asks, "or are you gonna fish?"

> Guess I should change that to troll fishing . . .
>
> >> High-brow: Oliver Wendell Holmes, The Times, the Hamptons
> >> Low-brow: Judge Judy, The Daily Mirror, Disney World
> >> Middle-brow: ?
> >
> >All right, you got me; I laughed at the Judge Judy. Good one.
> >
> >M-B: Lance Ito, Newsweek, Colonial Williamsburg
> >
> >Pretty weak, I guess. Can't top Judge Judy.
>
> I'm not sure who I'd put in there -- Scalia? Second should be a
> British newspaper, though I'm afraid I didn't make that clear -- could
> have said "The Times of London," but the "ahem" would have been
> audible all the way across the Atlantic . . .

I think Scalia is unibrow, if I recall his photograph correctly. British
newspapers, huh? And here I was thinking New York Times and New York Daily
Mirror. I don't even know if there *is* a New York Daily Mirror, come to
think of it. New York Daily News, maybe? Yeah, the "ahem" would certainly
have been heard, even though I'm sure New Yorkers and Los Angelenos refer
to their papers as "The Times" also. But I guess London gets first dibs,
just like San Franciscans get to say "Bay Area" even though it's hardly the
only bay in the country, much less the world.

> >High-brow: Foxhall, "Master and Commander" Violin Concerto No. 3, fillet
> > of
> > sole
> >Low-Brow: Foxhall's Trailer Park, "Deliverance" Dueling Banjos, catfish
> > nuggets
> >Middle-brow: ?
>
> Middle Brow: Foxhall Mall, "10" Bolero, King Crab

Y'know, I think I'm beginning to get an idea of what middle-brow is. Good
choices!

> High-brow: Dalton, Klosters, Truffles
> Low-Brow: George Washington HS, Mt. Snow, Pringles
> Middle-brow: ?

Had to look up Dalton. Ye gods! Twenty-five large a year starting with
kindergarten? Someone get the net!

I would have put Mt. Snow and its neighbors (Stowe, etc.) as middle-brow
and for low-brow I'd have gone with the opening scene from the old "ABC
Wide World Sports" where the "agony of defeat" is depicted by some guy
absolutely demolishing himself off a ski jump. I think watching that's as
close as your dyed-in-the-wool low-brow will ever get to a pair of skis. I
know I fit that description.

Anyway:

M-B: Generic parochial, Sun Valley, Entenmann's

Tough ones, Josh! Whew!

High-brow: Spode china, Waterford crystal, Irish linen
Low-brow: Chinette, Dixie, Bounty
Middle-brow: ?

Andrew Callahan

Apr 2, 2005, 8:12:53 PM4/2/05
Is paisley out of style? I just bought a paisley leisure suit, but I don't
want to wear it if paisley is out of style. I could wear my burnt orange
leisure suit instead, with the imitation satin shirt.

Let me know.

Thanks.

--
Andrew D. Callahan, Owner
Deadlines Typing Service
Anytype Dot Com Typing and Transcription Service
http://www.anytype.com

"Josh Hill" <usere...@gmail.com> wrote in message

jooleee

Apr 2, 2005, 8:26:22 PM4/2/05
On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:12:53 -0600, Andrew Callahan wrote:

> Is paisley out of style? I just bought a paisley leisure suit, but I
> don't want to wear it if paisley is out of style. I could wear my burnt
> orange leisure suit instead, with the imitation satin shirt.
>
> Let me know.
>
> Thanks.

I think paisley's great. It's all about odd cut and retro backdrop.
What's really great is *every* color combination is in.

Wind River

Apr 2, 2005, 8:30:06 PM4/2/05
Andrew Callahan wrote:

> Is paisley out of style? I just bought a paisley leisure suit, but I don't
> want to wear it if paisley is out of style. I could wear my burnt orange
> leisure suit instead, with the imitation satin shirt.
>
> Let me know.

You're safe as long as it has a nehru collar.

Alaric

Apr 2, 2005, 9:16:37 PM4/2/05
Yeah.

Or more appropriately, yeah yeah yeah.

I had the epaulets too. The Sergeant Pepper ones.

Sadly, I also tried for the Lennon moustache.

I wasn't THAT old. It looked VERY silly.

Josh Hill

Apr 2, 2005, 10:13:22 PM4/2/05
On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 02:16:37 +0000 (UTC), "Alaric"
<alar...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Yeah.
>
>Or more appropriately, yeah yeah yeah.
>
>I had the epaulets too. The Sergeant Pepper ones.
>
>Sadly, I also tried for the Lennon moustache.
>
>I wasn't THAT old. It looked VERY silly.

LOL

I had a counselor at Camp who had one, and the glasses too -- he
looked exactly like Lennon.

All I had at 13 was peach fuzz . . . which grew in the course of my
high school years into even more peach fuzz.

--
Josh

Josh Hill

Apr 2, 2005, 10:15:46 PM4/2/05
On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:30:06 -0500, Wind River <wind...@voyager.net>
wrote:

My father came home one day sporting a Neru jacket . . . must have
wised up that night, because it disappeared and we never heard from it
again.

--
Josh

Josh Hill

Apr 2, 2005, 10:17:58 PM4/2/05
On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 19:12:53 -0600, "Andrew Callahan"
<and...@spamitupanytype.com> wrote:

>Is paisley out of style? I just bought a paisley leisure suit, but I don't
>want to wear it if paisley is out of style. I could wear my burnt orange
>leisure suit instead, with the imitation satin shirt.
>
>Let me know.
>
>Thanks.

If I can settle my stomach down . . .

And now you have me thinking of platform shoes. And mohawks.

--
Josh

Andrew Callahan

Apr 2, 2005, 10:19:15 PM4/2/05
"Alaric" <alar...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> Yeah.
>
> Or more appropriately, yeah yeah yeah.
>
> I had the epaulets too. The Sergeant Pepper ones.
>
> Sadly, I also tried for the Lennon moustache.
>
> I wasn't THAT old. It looked VERY silly.

Alaric,
This is good, especially for someone who has had writer's block for multiple
years, but a few minor nits.

In the first two lines try to vary your word choice. You may not have
noticed this, but you have seven words there, four of which are "yeah." Try
to expand your vocabulary. You'll be glad you did.

The next two lines are good, but be careful with your use of adverbs. Show
us, don't tell us. Show your sadness, don't tell us about it. Is the "too"
really necessary when talking about your epaulets? Expert writers can
sometimes get away with sticking in a non-sentence that looks like a
sentence. "The Sergeant Pepper ones." doesn't seem like a sentence to me.
Perhaps some of the others who are better at grammar can help with this one.

Now, the ending, unfortunately that wasn't satisfying to me. I think the
overuse of the CAPITALIZATION all on one line actually distracts. And, of
course, both of the words that you emphasized were those darn MODIFIER words
again that are so out of vogue in modern writing. Try to show us, not tell
us. What, for example, is the difference between "silly" and "very silly"?
I mean, what is the "real difference"? See, the adverb doesn't add anything
to the meaning.

Overall, a VERY good effort, and I'd be happy to see the re-write if you do
one (which I would encourage).

I'm VERY excited to see that you are conquering the writer's block.

doc

Apr 2, 2005, 10:33:44 PM4/2/05

If you truly want to be safe in the ever-changing and sometimes fickle
world of style, there's only one item that transcends all passing fancies
and has firmly established itself as eternally fashionable: spats. White,
of course.

All the best,
doc

Andrew Callahan

Apr 3, 2005, 12:16:33 AM4/3/05
I have gray spats. I wear them with my sandals so they kind of look like
gray shoes. Sometimes I wear gray socks too, and then most people think I'm
wearing gray shoes.

I love them.

Thanks for the tip about white spats never going out of style. I'm going to
get some.

--
Andrew D. Callahan, Owner
Deadlines Typing Service
Anytype Dot Com Typing and Transcription Service
http://www.anytype.com

"doc" <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote in message

Wind River

Apr 3, 2005, 10:38:10 AM4/3/05

It's still there. It's waiting. Don't let your guard down! :)

-Sue

Wind River

Apr 3, 2005, 10:45:52 AM4/3/05

Oh gosh, the picture that's forming in my mind! Paisley suit with spats.
I guess we should add some suspenders and an ascot.

-Sue

Andrew Callahan

Apr 3, 2005, 12:40:05 PM4/3/05
An Ascot!!!

Oh, Sue. Great Idea. I can make one out of a bandana my uncle Herb left
me!

Oh, it will take me about a week to get it all together, then come by my
house and take my picture standing to the cardboard cut out of Elvis!

--
Andrew D. Callahan, Owner
Deadlines Typing Service
Anytype Dot Com Typing and Transcription Service
http://www.anytype.com

"Wind River" <wind...@voyager.net> wrote in message

doc

Apr 3, 2005, 1:03:00 PM4/3/05
Wind River <wind...@voyager.net> wrote:

> Oh gosh, the picture that's forming in my mind! Paisley suit with spats.
> I guess we should add some suspenders and an ascot.

Add a hot pink tri-corner hat with a looooong feather and you've leveraged
your synergies to make a bold fashion statement worthy of any neo-classical
Beau Brummel. Sans the pocket watch and large gold chain, of course; that
would be gauche. Funny thing is, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to
see one of today's pro athletes show up for a press conference in such an
outfit.

doc

Wind River

Apr 3, 2005, 2:41:16 PM4/3/05

You're right. I can see that, too.

Sue

nativelaw

Apr 4, 2005, 3:23:55 PM4/4/05

> Is paisley out of style? I just bought a paisley leisure suit, but I
> don't want to wear it if paisley is out of style. I could wear my burnt
> orange leisure suit instead, with the imitation satin shirt.
>
> Let me know.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Andrew D. Callahan, Owner

Hi Andrew,

I think paisley is still in style. It's the leisure suits that are out.

But I imagine you guessed that : ).

Best,
Andrea

Dr Zen

Apr 4, 2005, 9:03:49 PM4/4/05

Josh Hill wrote:

> On 02 Apr 2005 02:39:41 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
> >joshu...@gmail.com wrote:

> >> Heh, well, call me a snob.
> >
> >Nah. I swore off insults for a while.

> So have I, you scabrous louse-infested three-headed slime toad . . .
>
> >> And I like Tommy . . .
> >
> >Me too.
> >
> >High-Brow: Lawn tennis, chateaubriand, tea parties
> >Low-brow: Tractor pulls, chicken-fried steak, beer ball games
> >Middle-brow: ?
>
> Bridge, bagels, cocktail parties

It seems almost a pity to have to point out that bagels are not steaks.

> >High-Brow: Bach, wood floors, pâté
> >Low-brow: Liberace, wall-to-wall carpet, Doritos
> >Middle-brow: ?

One despairs to be among people who believe pate (LB can't spell, MB
uses diacritics, HB doesn't use them) is "high brow".

Z.

doc

Apr 4, 2005, 9:31:33 PM4/4/05
"Dr Zen" <drz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Josh Hill wrote:

> wrote:

<SNIP>

> > >High-Brow: Lawn tennis, chateaubriand, tea parties
> > >Low-brow: Tractor pulls, chicken-fried steak, beer ball games
> > >Middle-brow: ?
> >
> > Bridge, bagels, cocktail parties
> >

> It seems almost a pity to have to point out that bagels are not steaks.

Not a problem; it's difficult enough trying to define "middle-brow."

> > >High-Brow: Bach, wood floors, p=E2t=E9

> > >Low-brow: Liberace, wall-to-wall carpet, Doritos
> > >Middle-brow: ?
>
> One despairs to be among people who believe pate (LB can't spell, MB

> uses diacritics, HB doesn't use them) is "high brow".=20

Well, desperation comes in many different flavors, colors, sizes, and
circumstances, doesn't it, Zen?

As an aside: HB doesn't post to newsgroups, MB posts in TEXT, LB is
ignorant of Usenet posting conventions.

> Z=2E

Z=2E?

Dang!

Shows what I know about impedance, and I thought I was pretty good in
electronic theory. So, the impedance of a circuit (Z) is equal to twice the
square of the speed of light (C) multiplied by the mass (M) of the circuit?

Shoot!

Shows what I know about atomic physics, and I operated nuclear reactors for
35 years.

Someone should have told Einstein and saved us all a lot of grief.

All the best,
doc

Josh Hill

Apr 4, 2005, 9:33:30 PM4/4/05
On 4 Apr 2005 18:03:49 -0700, "Dr Zen" <drz...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Josh Hill wrote:

>most

>> >Nah. I swore off insults for a while.
>>
>> So have I, you scabrous louse-infested three-headed slime toad . . .

>> >Me too.
>> >
>> >High-Brow: Lawn tennis, chateaubriand, tea parties
>> >Low-brow: Tractor pulls, chicken-fried steak, beer ball games
>> >Middle-brow: ?
>>
>> Bridge, bagels, cocktail parties
>>

>It seems almost a pity to have to point out that bagels are not steaks.

Misteaks happen.

>> >High-Brow: Bach, wood floors, pâté
>> >Low-brow: Liberace, wall-to-wall carpet, Doritos
>> >Middle-brow: ?
>
>One despairs to be among people who believe pate (LB can't spell, MB
>uses diacritics, HB doesn't use them)

"What was supposed to be a foie gras napoleon was made with pâté, not
the fresh liver."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D06E1DB163FF934A15750C0A9639C8B63

> is "high brow".

Is here.

--
Josh

doc

Apr 4, 2005, 9:47:19 PM4/4/05
joshu...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 4 Apr 2005 18:03:49 -0700, "Dr Zen" <drz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >Josh Hill wrote:

> >wrote:

<SNIP>

> >It seems almost a pity to have to point out that bagels are not steaks.
>
> Misteaks happen.

Heh.

> >One despairs to be among people who believe pate (LB can't spell, MB
> >uses diacritics, HB doesn't use them)
>
> "What was supposed to be a foie gras napoleon was made with pâté, not
> the fresh liver."
>
> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D06E1DB163FF934A15750C0A9
> 639C8B63
>
> > is "high brow".
>
> Is here.

Someone once told me, "The one thing that's sure to kill you is the liver,
either your own or some damn bird's."

I've always secretly hoped she wasn't including chickens amongst that
group.

All the best,
doc

Josh Hill

Apr 4, 2005, 10:17:30 PM4/4/05
On 05 Apr 2005 01:47:19 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>Someone once told me, "The one thing that's sure to kill you is the liver,
>either your own or some damn bird's."
>
>I've always secretly hoped she wasn't including chickens amongst that
>group.

My own theory is that we evolved livers to discourage other animals
from eating us.

--
Josh

Josh Hill

Apr 4, 2005, 10:18:28 PM4/4/05
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 09:38:10 -0500, Wind River <wind...@voyager.net>
wrote:

I already found the baldness, the pot belly, and the gray hairs . . .

--
Josh

Dr Zen

Apr 4, 2005, 10:34:31 PM4/4/05

How very infra dig.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D06E1DB163FF934A15750C0A9639C8B63

Since when was a newspaper "high brow"?

> > is "high brow".
>
> Is here.

I think that if you were to read the quote you brandished, you would
see clearly that the author was expressing disappointment at its use in
a high brow dish.

Z.

doc

Apr 4, 2005, 10:51:47 PM4/4/05
"Dr Zen" <drz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since when was a newspaper "high brow"?

Good point, Zen, but who else would subscribe to the Wall Street Journal
and not just buy it off the local newsstand a few days late?

All the best,
doc

Josh Hill

Apr 4, 2005, 11:00:23 PM4/4/05
On 4 Apr 2005 19:34:31 -0700, "Dr Zen" <drz...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Josh Hill wrote:
>> >
>> >One despairs to be among people who believe pate (LB can't spell, MB
>> >uses diacritics, HB doesn't use them)
>>
>> "What was supposed to be a foie gras napoleon was made with pâté,
>not
>> the fresh liver."
>
>How very infra dig.
>
>http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D06E1DB163FF934A15750C0A9639C8B63
>>
>Since when was a newspaper "high brow"?

Since there were low and middlebrow newspapers, one supposes.

>> > is "high brow".
>>
>> Is here.
>>

>I think that if you were to read the quote you brandished, you would
>see clearly that the author was expressing disappointment at its use in
>a high brow dish.

That it would be wrong to use a preserve in a dish calling for fresh
fruit doesn't mean that the preserve is lowbrow.

--
Josh

Dr Zen

Apr 5, 2005, 1:41:08 AM4/5/05

Did you not feel the disdain for the substitute? It struck me that the
author felt that the cook had slipped.

Z.

Josh Hill

Apr 5, 2005, 8:46:50 AM4/5/05

To be sure.

--
Josh

Alaric

Apr 5, 2005, 1:13:04 PM4/5/05

"doc" <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote in message

Heh.

Alaric

Apr 5, 2005, 1:15:56 PM4/5/05

> Alaric,
> This is good, especially for someone who has had writer's block for
> multiple years, but a few minor nits.
>
> In the first two lines try to vary your word choice. You may not have
> noticed this, but you have seven words there, four of which are "yeah."
> Try to expand your vocabulary. You'll be glad you did.

Yeah, yeah....

> The next two lines are good, but be careful with your use of adverbs.
> Show us, don't tell us. Show your sadness, don't tell us about it. Is
> the "too" really necessary when talking about your epaulets?

I had too. There's no point in just having one.

> Expert writers can sometimes get away with sticking in a non-sentence
> that looks like a sentence.

I get away with a non-sense that looks like a sentence.

Josh Hill

Apr 5, 2005, 1:24:58 PM4/5/05
On 03 Apr 2005 01:03:24 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>joshu...@gmail.com wrote:

>> >All right, you got me; I laughed at the Judge Judy. Good one.
>> >
>> >M-B: Lance Ito, Newsweek, Colonial Williamsburg
>> >
>> >Pretty weak, I guess. Can't top Judge Judy.
>>
>> I'm not sure who I'd put in there -- Scalia? Second should be a
>> British newspaper, though I'm afraid I didn't make that clear -- could
>> have said "The Times of London," but the "ahem" would have been
>> audible all the way across the Atlantic . . .
>
>I think Scalia is unibrow, if I recall his photograph correctly.

I'd almost forgotten about Lance Ito -- in retrospect, I think it was
a pretty good choice.

>British
>newspapers, huh? And here I was thinking New York Times and New York Daily
>Mirror. I don't even know if there *is* a New York Daily Mirror, come to
>think of it. New York Daily News, maybe? Yeah, the "ahem" would certainly
>have been heard, even though I'm sure New Yorkers and Los Angelenos refer
>to their papers as "The Times" also. But I guess London gets first dibs,
>just like San Franciscans get to say "Bay Area" even though it's hardly the
>only bay in the country, much less the world.

The British paper, being the original and first, is just "The Times."
IIRC, there was a New York Daily Mirror, but it died in the '63
newspaper strike.

>> High-brow: Dalton, Klosters, Truffles
>> Low-Brow: George Washington HS, Mt. Snow, Pringles
>> Middle-brow: ?
>
>Had to look up Dalton. Ye gods! Twenty-five large a year starting with
>kindergarten? Someone get the net!

And people line up to get their kids into those schools . . . the
competition starts in pre-kindergarten.

>I would have put Mt. Snow and its neighbors (Stowe, etc.) as middle-brow
>and for low-brow I'd have gone with the opening scene from the old "ABC
>Wide World Sports" where the "agony of defeat" is depicted by some guy
>absolutely demolishing himself off a ski jump. I think watching that's as
>close as your dyed-in-the-wool low-brow will ever get to a pair of skis. I
>know I fit that description.
>
>Anyway:
>
>M-B: Generic parochial, Sun Valley, Entenmann's

Hey, Entenmann's is pretty good. I used to devour those French apple
pies . . .

Generic parochial would I think be low. Middle? A good suburban HS, I
suppose, or one of the selective public schools if you're talking NYC.

>Tough ones, Josh! Whew!
>
>High-brow: Spode china, Waterford crystal, Irish linen
>Low-brow: Chinette, Dixie, Bounty
>Middle-brow: ?

Ouch

I should be up on this because my grandmother was an avid collector of
things middlebrow and breakable, but I'm afraid my interest in her
explanations went only as far as being politer, so I'm afraid I have
to cede this round

High-brow: Gilbert and Sullivan, Akira Kurosawa, annuals
Low-brow: Andrew Lloyd Webber, Ron Howard, artificial
Middle-brow: ?

--
Josh

doc

Apr 5, 2005, 5:24:25 PM4/5/05
joshu...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 03 Apr 2005 01:03:24 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
> >joshu...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> On 02 Apr 2005 22:19:40 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
> >Had to look up Dalton. Ye gods! Twenty-five large a year starting with
> >kindergarten? Someone get the net!
>
> And people line up to get their kids into those schools . . . the
> competition starts in pre-kindergarten.

I have led such a sheltered life. . . .

> >M-B: Generic parochial, Sun Valley, Entenmann's
>
> Hey, Entenmann's is pretty good. I used to devour those French apple
> pies . . .

Love their raspberry crumb cakes.

> Generic parochial would I think be low. Middle? A good suburban HS, I
> suppose, or one of the selective public schools if you're talking NYC.

I suggested it because you have to pay tuition although the tuition is
usually far from the likes of Dalton. I'm still stunned; you can get an
Associate's--maybe even a Bachelor's--degree for less than kindergarten at
Dalton.

> >Tough ones, Josh! Whew!
> >
> >High-brow: Spode china, Waterford crystal, Irish linen
> >Low-brow: Chinette, Dixie, Bounty
> >Middle-brow: ?
>
> Ouch
>
> I should be up on this because my grandmother was an avid collector of
> things middlebrow and breakable, but I'm afraid my interest in her
> explanations went only as far as being politer, so I'm afraid I have
> to cede this round

No prob; almost anything from Crate and Barrel or Bed Bath and Beyond would
do.

> High-brow: Gilbert and Sullivan, Akira Kurosawa, annuals
> Low-brow: Andrew Lloyd Webber, Ron Howard, artificial
> Middle-brow: ?

Aww, poor Opie!

Lerner and Loewe, Stanley Kubrik, perennials

High-brow: capital gains, Latin, Cote d'Azure
Low-brow: tips and gratuities, pig latin, Lake of the Ozarks
Middle-brow: ?

Josh Hill

Apr 5, 2005, 6:24:27 PM4/5/05
On 05 Apr 2005 21:24:25 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>joshu...@gmail.com wrote:

>> >Had to look up Dalton. Ye gods! Twenty-five large a year starting with
>> >kindergarten? Someone get the net!
>>
>> And people line up to get their kids into those schools . . . the
>> competition starts in pre-kindergarten.
>
>I have led such a sheltered life. . . .

I've heard the same thing said about those of us who went to those
schools . . .

>> >M-B: Generic parochial, Sun Valley, Entenmann's

>> Hey, Entenmann's is pretty good. I used to devour those French apple
>> pies . . .
>
>Love their raspberry crumb cakes.

Getting fat just thinking about them

>> Generic parochial would I think be low. Middle? A good suburban HS, I
>> suppose, or one of the selective public schools if you're talking NYC.
>
>I suggested it because you have to pay tuition although the tuition is
>usually far from the likes of Dalton. I'm still stunned; you can get an
>Associate's--maybe even a Bachelor's--degree for less than kindergarten at
>Dalton.

One of the reasons the middle class no longer finds NYC affordable.
OTOH, about 36% of Dalton grads go on to an Ivy, so from a purely
economic perspective it may be a reasonable investment. And not all
the kids who attend those schools pay full tuition -- my parents forex
weren't rich & couldn't have sent my brothers and I without a
scholarship. (On the flip side, I heard some years ago that the price
of admission to Dalton for kids who didn't qualify was a $20,000
annual contribution. Assume that's higher now . . . )

>> High-brow: Gilbert and Sullivan, Akira Kurosawa, annuals
>> Low-brow: Andrew Lloyd Webber, Ron Howard, artificial
>> Middle-brow: ?
>
>Aww, poor Opie!
>
>Lerner and Loewe, Stanley Kubrik, perennials

Lerner and Loewe's a great choice

>High-brow: capital gains, Latin, Cote d'Azure
>Low-brow: tips and gratuities, pig latin, Lake of the Ozarks
>Middle-brow: ?

Bonuses, French, Fire Island

High-brow: Freud, brie, "evening dress"
Low-brow: Dr. Joyce Brothers, pasteurized process cheese food spread,
"tux"
Middle-brow: ?

--
Josh

doc

Apr 5, 2005, 9:56:06 PM4/5/05
joshu...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 05 Apr 2005 21:24:25 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
> >joshu...@gmail.com wrote:

> >I have led such a sheltered life. . . .
>
> I've heard the same thing said about those of us who went to those
> schools . . .

I should be calling you "sir," sir.

> One of the reasons the middle class no longer finds NYC affordable.
> OTOH, about 36% of Dalton grads go on to an Ivy, so from a purely
> economic perspective it may be a reasonable investment. And not all
> the kids who attend those schools pay full tuition -- my parents forex
> weren't rich & couldn't have sent my brothers and I without a
> scholarship. (On the flip side, I heard some years ago that the price
> of admission to Dalton for kids who didn't qualify was a $20,000
> annual contribution. Assume that's higher now . . . )

From their website:

Tuition and Financial Aid
Tuition for the 2004-2005 academic year is as follows:
First Program (Grade K-3) $24,560
Middle School (Grades 4-8) $25,410
Upper School (Grades 9-12) $25,910

I wonder what the criteria are to get a scholarship for kindergarten.

> >Lerner and Loewe, Stanley Kubrik, perennials
>
> Lerner and Loewe's a great choice

'Kew

> >High-brow: capital gains, Latin, Cote d'Azure
> >Low-brow: tips and gratuities, pig latin, Lake of the Ozarks
> >Middle-brow: ?
>
> Bonuses, French, Fire Island

heh, heh, heh

Those are good.

> High-brow: Freud, brie, "evening dress"
> Low-brow: Dr. Joyce Brothers, pasteurized process cheese food spread,
> "tux"
> Middle-brow: ?

R. D. Laing, feta (or ricotta), three-piece suit

High-brow: private jet, St. Andrew's, masquerade ball
Low-brow: Greyhound, miniature golf, Klan meeting
Middle-brow: ?

"Insanity--a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world."
R. D. Laing

Josh Hill

Apr 5, 2005, 10:52:47 PM4/5/05
On 06 Apr 2005 01:56:06 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>joshu...@gmail.com wrote:

>> >I have led such a sheltered life. . . .
>>
>> I've heard the same thing said about those of us who went to those
>> schools . . .
>
>I should be calling you "sir," sir.

Nah, I'm one of their mistakes. Kind of depressing to see what my
classmates are up to . . .

>From their website:
>
>Tuition and Financial Aid
>Tuition for the 2004-2005 academic year is as follows:
>First Program (Grade K-3) $24,560
>Middle School (Grades 4-8) $25,410
>Upper School (Grades 9-12) $25,910
>
>I wonder what the criteria are to get a scholarship for kindergarten.

Not to mention their criteria for admissions . . . "Biff did not once
soil his pants, or bite the other children . . . "

>> High-brow: Freud, brie, "evening dress"
>> Low-brow: Dr. Joyce Brothers, pasteurized process cheese food spread,
>> "tux"
>> Middle-brow: ?
>
>R. D. Laing, feta (or ricotta), three-piece suit

Funny that you mentioned Laing -- I was just remembering Knots

>High-brow: private jet, St. Andrew's, masquerade ball
>Low-brow: Greyhound, miniature golf, Klan meeting
>Middle-brow: ?

American Airlines, the New London Country Club, Republican National
Convention

High-brow: Setters, Matisse, Nature
Low-brow: Pit bulls, Keane, Popular Mechanics
Middle-brow: ?

>"Insanity--a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world."
> R. D. Laing

Only in America . . .

--
Josh

Wind River

Apr 6, 2005, 12:13:37 AM4/6/05

Spaniels, Rockwell, People

doc

Apr 5, 2005, 11:34:52 PM4/5/05
Wind River <wind...@voyager.net> wrote:
> Josh Hill wrote:

> > High-brow: Setters, Matisse, Nature
> > Low-brow: Pit bulls, Keane, Popular Mechanics
> > Middle-brow: ?
>
> Spaniels, Rockwell, People

Wow! Great choices, Sue.

Now, where's your next set of HB, LB, and MB?

All the best, doc

doc

Apr 6, 2005, 12:11:11 AM4/6/05
joshu...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 06 Apr 2005 01:56:06 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:

> >I should be calling you "sir," sir.
>
> Nah, I'm one of their mistakes. Kind of depressing to see what my
> classmates are up to . . .

Probably not thinking of what middle-brows are doing tonight.

> >I wonder what the criteria are to get a scholarship for kindergarten.
>
> Not to mention their criteria for admissions . . . "Biff did not once
> soil his pants, or bite the other children . . . "

LOL!

> >> High-brow: Freud, brie, "evening dress"
> >> Low-brow: Dr. Joyce Brothers, pasteurized process cheese food spread,
> >> "tux"
> >> Middle-brow: ?
> >
> >R. D. Laing, feta (or ricotta), three-piece suit
>
> Funny that you mentioned Laing -- I was just remembering Knots

Supposedly, he knew it would either be a big success or a bomb. Bit of a
gamble for someone who knows paranoia.

> >High-brow: private jet, St. Andrew's, masquerade ball
> >Low-brow: Greyhound, miniature golf, Klan meeting
> >Middle-brow: ?
>
> American Airlines, the New London Country Club, Republican National
> Convention

Loved that last one.

> High-brow: Setters, Matisse, Nature
> Low-brow: Pit bulls, Keane, Popular Mechanics
> Middle-brow: ?

Would that be Bil Keane?

Jack Russels, LeRoy Nieman, Consumer Reports

> >"Insanity--a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world."
> > R. D. Laing
>
> Only in America . . .

So true.

Wasn't he British?

High-brow: The Origin of Species, charity, BBC news
Low-brow: Genesis, faith, Fox news
Middle-brow: ?

Josh Hill

Apr 6, 2005, 11:58:03 AM4/6/05
On 06 Apr 2005 04:11:11 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>joshu...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On 06 Apr 2005 01:56:06 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>

>> >I should be calling you "sir," sir.
>>
>> Nah, I'm one of their mistakes. Kind of depressing to see what my
>> classmates are up to . . .
>
>Probably not thinking of what middle-brows are doing tonight.

It's kind of funny actually to see what they're all doing. The kid I
used to race slot cars with teaches the philosophy of science at
Cambridge -- saw a photo of him holding some of Newton's manuscripts
-- and the Mad Coiler teaches it at Columbia . . .

>> >High-brow: private jet, St. Andrew's, masquerade ball
>> >Low-brow: Greyhound, miniature golf, Klan meeting
>> >Middle-brow: ?
>>
>> American Airlines, the New London Country Club, Republican National
>> Convention
>
>Loved that last one.

First uninspired. New London Country Club was an inside joke -- I live
there.

>> High-brow: Setters, Matisse, Nature
>> Low-brow: Pit bulls, Keane, Popular Mechanics
>> Middle-brow: ?
>
>Would that be Bil Keane?

Margaret Keane --

http://www.keane-eyes.com/

The one with four eyes is particularly terrifying.

>Jack Russels, LeRoy Nieman, Consumer Reports

>> >"Insanity--a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world."
>> > R. D. Laing
>>
>> Only in America . . .
>
>So true.
>
>Wasn't he British?

Heh -- there is that.

>High-brow: The Origin of Species, charity, BBC news
>Low-brow: Genesis, faith, Fox news
>Middle-brow: ?

Stephen Jay Gould, lawn care, the News Hour with Jim Lehrer

High-brow: Princeton, brie, mahogany
Low-brow: San Francisco State, pasteurized process cheese food,
laminated particle board
Middle-brow: ?

--
Josh

Josh Hill

Apr 6, 2005, 12:21:19 PM4/6/05
On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:13:37 -0500, Wind River <wind...@voyager.net>
wrote:

>Josh Hill wrote:

Isn't that the second mention for poor People?

--
Josh

Wind River

Apr 6, 2005, 10:33:49 AM4/6/05

High-brow: Swordfish, Orchids, Velvet
Low-brow: Catfish, Mums, Polyester
Middle-brow: ?

(I haven't been keeping up with them all; hope I haven't repeated.)

Sue

doc

Apr 7, 2005, 2:06:27 AM4/7/05
Wind River <wind...@voyager.net> wrote:
> doc wrote:

> > Now, where's your next set of HB, LB, and MB?
>
> High-brow: Swordfish, Orchids, Velvet
> Low-brow: Catfish, Mums, Polyester
> Middle-brow: ?
>
> (I haven't been keeping up with them all; hope I haven't repeated.)

Tilapia, tulips, tricot

Not sure about that last, but I wanted to make sure I dotted all my 'i's
and crossed all my 't's.

Super set, Sue.

doc

doc

Apr 7, 2005, 2:35:07 AM4/7/05
joshu...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 06 Apr 2005 04:11:11 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>

> It's kind of funny actually to see what they're all doing. The kid I
> used to race slot cars with teaches the philosophy of science at
> Cambridge -- saw a photo of him holding some of Newton's manuscripts
> -- and the Mad Coiler teaches it at Columbia . . .

I love it that there's a 'philosphy of science' course. They don't offer it
at my local community college.

The Mad Coiler, eh? There's a story there, I'm betting.

> >> American Airlines, the New London Country Club, Republican National
> >> Convention
> >
> >Loved that last one.
>
> First uninspired. New London Country Club was an inside joke -- I live
> there.

On a golf course? Do you have plexiglass windows?

> >> High-brow: Setters, Matisse, Nature
> >> Low-brow: Pit bulls, Keane, Popular Mechanics
> >> Middle-brow: ?
> >
> >Would that be Bil Keane?
>
> Margaret Keane --
>
> http://www.keane-eyes.com/

Ahh. Bil Keane does the comic strip, "Family Circus." More cute than
surreal.

> The one with four eyes is particularly terrifying.

Thank God it wasn't eight.

> Stephen Jay Gould, lawn care, the News Hour with Jim Lehrer

Lawn care. Don't get me started.

Haven't watched Lehrer in quite a while. I suppose the McNeil-Lehrer report
is now defunct.

> High-brow: Princeton, brie, mahogany
> Low-brow: San Francisco State, pasteurized process cheese food,
> laminated particle board
> Middle-brow: ?

I see Princeton finally won a lacrosse game, although it took them two OTs
to do it. When they were 0-4, they were still ranked in the top ten. After
losing to Syracuse, the pollsters finally saw the light.

USNA, sharp cheddar, oak.

High-brow: wine cellar, croquet, Orvis
Low-brow: crawl space, nine-ball, Zebco
Middle-brow: ?

nativelaw

Apr 7, 2005, 9:31:23 AM4/7/05

> Wind River <wind...@voyager.net> wrote:
>> doc wrote:
>
>> > Now, where's your next set of HB, LB, and MB?

The cholesterols, right? I still need to have mine checked.

A.

Josh Hill

Apr 7, 2005, 12:13:30 PM4/7/05
On 07 Apr 2005 06:35:07 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>joshu...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On 06 Apr 2005 04:11:11 GMT, doc <docfa...@yahooNOSPAM.com> wrote:
>>

>> It's kind of funny actually to see what they're all doing. The kid I
>> used to race slot cars with teaches the philosophy of science at
>> Cambridge -- saw a photo of him holding some of Newton's manuscripts
>> -- and the Mad Coiler teaches it at Columbia . . .
>
>I love it that there's a 'philosphy of science' course. They don't offer it
>at my local community college.
>
>The Mad Coiler, eh? There's a story there, I'm betting.

It was junior high school, and we'd just been introduced to Special
Relativity. Studious future profs that we were, one of us borrowed H.
A Lorentz's initials and invented a quirky purveyor of rare
electronics parts, H. A. Viento, who from his headquarters in Mt.
Haus, Italy did a thriving trade in 12 branhos Ghezebohn diodes,
Faeltrach capacitors, and aether machines. This last naturally
demanded to be constructed, so after stripping our houses of Christmas
tree lights, toasters, and model rockets, we headed off to Jon's house
to outdo Michelson and Morely. There David discovered his vocation --
mad coiler -- and the strange device took shape -- a device that, were
this a story rather than a faithfully transcribed memory, would have
created a much larger ruckus than it did when we demonstrated it at
school . . .

>> The one with four eyes is particularly terrifying.
>
>Thank God it wasn't eight.

Heh

I'm just glad she doesn't have nuclear weapons

>> Stephen Jay Gould, lawn care, the News Hour with Jim Lehrer
>
>Lawn care. Don't get me started.
>
>Haven't watched Lehrer in quite a while. I suppose the McNeil-Lehrer report
>is now defunct.

McNeil is defunct, I think -- I saw the hyphen collecting unemployment
insurance.

>> High-brow: Princeton, brie, mahogany
>> Low-brow: San Francisco State, pasteurized process cheese food,
>> laminated particle board
>> Middle-brow: ?
>
>I see Princeton finally won a lacrosse game, although it took them two OTs
>to do it. When they were 0-4, they were still ranked in the top ten. After
>losing to Syracuse, the pollsters finally saw the light.

>USNA, sharp cheddar, oak.
>
>High-brow: wine cellar, croquet, Orvis
>Low-brow: crawl space, nine-ball, Zebco
>Middle-brow: ?

finished basement, table tennis, Mitchell

High-brow: crew, freebase, Woodrow Wilson
Low-brow: darts, crack, George W. Bush
Middle-brow: ?

--
Josh

Josh Hill

Apr 7, 2005, 12:16:39 PM4/7/05

Wow -- a man who not only knows ichthyology, botany, and textiles, but
can alliterate as well.

Dude, I'm impressed.

--
Josh

Wind River

Apr 7, 2005, 3:15:12 PM4/7/05

Yeah, me too. Doc does dot "i"s darn decently.