Turkey's in the over or Neat things SANTA brought me...

Ruddell

Dec 25, 2002, 2:52:24 PM12/25/02

Bit of time to kill (kids are busy with their bounty) so...

A book (this time a paper one with pages?)

Vintage Style (Tiffany Dubin/Ann E.Berman) which is basically a glossary
of women's fashion from the 50's to the 90's...only glanced at it and
I'm sure there's more ;-)

And the coolest 2003 calendar! VOGUE 'A Collection of Vintage Fashion
Images' which has covers from the 30's/40's/50's. So, looks like I've
got a year to start making frames...

And then the Teri Agins Book 'the end of FASHION' which I actually
purchased, but my wife decided would make a great *secret* stocking
stuffer, so I guess it was a shocker???

With this hour to waste away, I think I'll pour myself a drink and toast
afer's Merry Christmas to you all from all of us...

Cheers

Dennis

--
http://www.ejacanada.com

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

Stevie

Dec 25, 2002, 4:01:19 PM12/25/02
so how much of the candy is left?
Stevie

Ruddell

Dec 25, 2002, 3:04:27 PM12/25/02

Stevie wrote:

> so how much of the candy is left?

LOL, kaput!

Stevie

Dec 25, 2002, 4:41:10 PM12/25/02
WOW!! that's fast. anything you *really* liked?
Stevie

"Ruddell" <ruddell'Elle-Kabong'@accesscomm.ca> wrote in message

Jenny

Dec 25, 2002, 11:02:20 PM12/25/02

Santa did very well by me!

A very cool retro looking Fossil watch with a dark red leather watchband

black nylon Kate Spade bag (my first!)

black land's end suede clogs (already have the red and love them, and a
great gift to ask for from in-laws on a fixed income, since they are
only about $25)

maroon land's end cashmere sweater

lots of festive peppermint patties in a punched out-design tin that can
be reused as a votive holder, very pretty (but how am I going to keep
from eating all that candy?)

gkaz

Dec 26, 2002, 9:58:32 AM12/26/02
Happy Holidays to all from a reader not usually a poster (Ooo lurker sounds
so spooky),

Santa (a.k.a. hubby) was very good to me too. He knows how much I love MAC
cosmetics, so in my stocking I found a backstage pass to a MAC event that
includes a demo from one of the MAC makeup artists named John Stapleton and
an opportunity to buy products from a "trunk" show. I have never been to
one of these events before, so I really don't know what to expect.
Although, I hope it will be fun.
My husband (ooops! Santa) was told that there will be a lot of stuff that is
not normally sold in stores since it is a special event, so if anyone has
been I'd love to know what you thought of it, and if there are any must
haves I should look for.
Also, Santa bought me these adorable P.Js with sheep on them by a company
called P.J. Salvage. Santa said that they looked really cosy so he thought
I'd like them plus they were also like ones worn by Alley McBeal. Gosh, I
love Santa.

Anyway, hope everyone had a great Christmas and has a happy new year!!!!

The Anti Kathy

Dec 26, 2002, 11:19:37 AM12/26/02
> anyway, here's the picture of my Granddaddy's dresser:
>http://www.bmeworld.com/myneedle/dresser.jpg

That's BEAUTIFUL! I love the oak leaves. I'm sure that you love it more than
I, since it's family, but I still say it's lovely! Now, go take some aspirin
and a nice hot shower for your poor back!

Anti

CarolCorb

Dec 26, 2002, 12:49:22 PM12/26/02
Wow, that is a very nice dresser!! But it looks very heavy, no wonder your
back hurts.

Nice to have that furniture though.

Carol

Linda

Dec 26, 2002, 12:55:40 PM12/26/02
That's a very nice dresser that looks/sounds like it has a bit of history
behind it. I hope you enjoy it.

Linda

Ruddell

Dec 27, 2002, 12:37:09 PM12/27/02
In <8n7m0vg53qcs039sv...@4ax.com> Richard Hunter wrote:
> i didn't get much for xmess, and that's fine. but the major things
> stand out: my mom bought me a truck.

Your mum bought you a truck! What kind??? Sheesh, talk about a haul:-)

Ruddell

Dec 27, 2002, 12:39:59 PM12/27/02
In <v0k9fea...@corp.supernews.com> Stevie wrote:

> WOW!! that's fast. anything you *really* liked?

Have to admit, we're candy freaks in the first degree.

The TOFFEE!!! and the chocolates are incredible.

Thanks Stevie for introducing me to See's. It's a bit more expensive
than the others, but then again, so is Pola ;-)

Merry Christmas from all of us

Dennis

--
http://ejacanada.com

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply

Amelia

Dec 27, 2002, 6:31:51 PM12/27/02

>Santa (a.k.a. hubby) was very good to me too. He knows how much I love MAC
>cosmetics, so in my stocking I found a backstage pass to a MAC event that
>includes a demo from one of the MAC makeup artists named John Stapleton and
>an opportunity to buy products from a "trunk" show.

You have such a considerate husband!! Consider yourself lucky!! ;-)
For Christmas my personal 'santa', my boyfriend, got me a Stila
Holiday 5-Pan :) (amoung other 'non-makeup' things). The other day I
was chatting with my sister about high-end makeup, and she couldn't
name any brands :P And then le boyfriend perks up and names around 8
different brands (Stila, MAC, Becca, Nars etc..) - I was *SO* proud of
him!! :)

Amelia

http://amelia_m.livejournal.com/

http://amelia_m.livejournal.com/

SoozH

Dec 27, 2002, 5:37:36 PM12/27/02
>was chatting with my sister about high-end makeup, and she couldn't
>name any brands :P And then le boyfriend perks up and names around 8
>different brands (Stila, MAC, Becca, Nars etc..) - I was *SO* proud of
>him!! :)

Wow! What a guy! My husband's like that too. I got Bobbi Brown, MAC, etc.
from him this Christmas, and some real jewelry too. (He's so good at knowing
what I like.)

~~
Sooz

LRISR

Dec 27, 2002, 8:35:00 PM12/27/02
I had a blue box Christmas. I was very very excited to get not one but 2
Tiffany's boxes!!! I also got the Godiva Parka bear and a Sandicast Westie
which looks just like my dog. Santa was very good to me this year!!

Lourdes :-)

Claire in SF

Dec 28, 2002, 12:27:42 AM12/28/02
I'd just like to share that in addition to very thoughtful gifts, once again
my sweetie did the most wonderful job matching the giftwrap to the gift
recipient and doing a wonderful wrapping job--he likes to do the style where
all the tape is hidden. I do a more ornamental style of wrapping but with
the tape showing. His gifts all look like magic wrapping! You can tell he
cares!
Claire in SF

Jules

Dec 28, 2002, 1:00:39 AM12/28/02
In article <aujcmt$7i9cr$1...@ID-131371.news.dfncis.de>, "Claire in SF"
<clai...@notaol.com> wrote:

Oh wow! That is so cool! In my house, wrapping is as important as the
gift! We shop for wrapping related stuff year round, looking for special
paper, bows. We have bows and little name tags dating back to when I was
a kid! For those *special presents*

I get a huge thrill out of spending hours putting together the perfect
looking package on the outside...almost as much time as I spend finding
the perfect gift. I love watching people unwrap the presents, too. It's
all about the surprise, the effort and the discovery. A woman in my
office just dumps stuff in those decorated bags with tissue or wraps in
newsprint - it just isn't my thing.

IMO, the wrapping is as much a part of the fashion as the goodies in the
package! My mom is stellar at a good wrapping...I take it as such a sign
of her love for me and the thought and effort she puts into the giving.

jules

--
Ask not for whom the dog barks.
The dog barks for thee.

Vicki in DC

Dec 28, 2002, 8:23:18 AM12/28/02
"Claire in SF" <clai...@notaol.com> wrote in message news:<aujcmt$7i9cr$1...@ID-131371.news.dfncis.de>...

Claire:

I wonder if your sweetie is a distant relation of my dad's. In his
younger heartier days, he would wrap many of the family gifts so well
he nearly made hospital corners on those boxes! He taught me how to
do perfect corners, how to center the wrap, how to measure the ribbon
at the right place and how to crease it perfectly around the corners.
While my dad taught me the "technical" aspects of wrapping, mom taught
me the aesthetic. Her packages were always gorgeous, the tags and
ribbons matching perfectly. And she always got the prettiest wrapping
paper - on sale the day after Xmas.

You are so lucky to have such an attentive sweetie! I think guys who
devote this much attention to the wrapping as well as the gift inside
are the exceptions rather than the rule.

V in DC

Vicki in DC

Dec 28, 2002, 8:30:40 AM12/28/02
Jules <lyth...@attbi.comma> wrote in message news:<lythium99-79D02...@netnews.attbi.com>...

What Jules said. My family recycles the gift tags and we also have
many that date years back. I think my mom must have enough wired
ribbon and wrap to open her own Hallmark store. Last night when we
finished opening presents (we had Xmas at my parents' house last
night) she still said she had unwrapped rolls of paper upstairs. I'm
not beyond doing the gift bag thing if my time is really limited and I
*would* wrap in newsprint, IF it's the funnies and the package is for
a kid or one of my quirkier friends or my DH who would appreciate the
funnies as giftwrap.

My mom also wraps beautifully. She's older now, caring for my father
most of the time, yet we still had beautifully wrapped gifts in
beautiful papers and trims, under the tree last night :-). She really
loves doing it and loves us, and both show.

Vicki in DC

Vicki in DC

Dec 28, 2002, 8:45:06 AM12/28/02
Jenny <sil...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<251220022302318358%sil...@mindspring.com>...

Now that my Xmas is fully over I can post about what I got:

From a dear AFer - Paula Dorf's Naughty and Nice credit card palette.
This is GREAT and may be the best thing anyone's given me in awhile.
I liked it so much I bought a duplicate yesterday. Colors include
lipstick in Pretty (warm medium pink) and Taboo (deep crimson), cheek
cream in Candy Apple and eye shadow in Stilleto (pewter grey).

Goodies for foot pampering from the Body Shop (again the same dear
AFer was Santa)

Beautiful black devore velvet scarf from my sister with iridescent
black beading. This I'll wear on New Year's eve.

Bathroom scale from mom. ACK! But I do need to lose weight and am
back to seriously trying to now that Xmas is over

Heated foot and hand massager that I will share with DH, from my folks

$$$$ from my folks

Faux sapphire and silver choker and hoop earrings from my DH. Again,
will wear them New Year's Eve

Scarves and belts from my MIL.

Very cool paperweight from my mom, made of marble from the steps of
the US Capitol

A book on household hints and tips from my mom

A LOT of things for the house including a gorgeous hand blown cobalt
punch set, a cobalt candy jar in the shape of a persian cat and a
cobalt dessert plate w/ kitten motif, all from my DH, an assortment of
candle holders and candles from my MIL, and a gorgeous assortment of
Xmas ornaments with a Puss in Boots type theme from my sister.

Eclectic haul, not all necessarily AF related, but I love everything.

Vicki in DC

Claire in SF

Dec 28, 2002, 4:54:14 PM12/28/02

"Vicki in DC" <Nickycha...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

They might be partially related--- my sweetie does the neat corners, creases
the corners, tries to center the wrap, etc., though no bows or ribbons.
Those just don't suit him :) He uses a different paper for each person. Yes,
I feel lucky to have such a caring gift-giver!

This year I watched the Chanticleer (men's choral group) Christmas program
on PBS while wrapping gifts.

Claire in SF

Vicki in DC

Dec 29, 2002, 12:25:55 PM12/29/02
"Claire in SF" <clai...@notaol.com> wrote in message news:<aul6gj$7tnmt$1...@ID-131371.news.dfncis.de>...

He sounds alot like my dad used to be when he was still wrapping our
gifts, except pop went for the bows and ribbons and sometimes would
put 3 little bows across a large present. Sometimes they'd match the
paper, sometimes not. My father really went for the "technical" part
of gift wrapping and he always loved using foil wrap because the
corners would crease better - he suggested I do the same and maybe
that's why I'm still partial to it now.

My DH and I wrapped gifts and saw various versions of a Christmas
Carol, the one w/ Patrick Stewart (whoosh!) that aired last Sunday, an
animated version IIRC the 1970s Rankin Bass, and one more, an english
version that was made in the 1960s.

Vicki in DC

Kate Fulwell

Dec 29, 2002, 5:49:48 PM12/29/02
Well, my husband really did well for me this year .... Loot was:

Amanda Lacey cleansing pomade
Amanda Lacey Persian Rosewater
Amanda Lacey scented candles set
Ren rosewood and chamomile soap
Ren Moroccan Rose bath oil
Ren Damask Rosewater facial toning mist
Ren Rose otto and camellia moisturiser
Robbie Williams' new CD
Alisha's Attic CD
Pretty Woman DVD
Michael Connelly novel

Really pleased with everything!

Kate

Dr. Sooz

Dec 30, 2002, 4:32:47 PM12/30/02
>I wonder if your sweetie is a distant relation of my dad's. In his
>younger heartier days, he would wrap many of the family gifts so well
>he nearly made hospital corners on those boxes! He taught me how to
>do perfect corners, how to center the wrap, how to measure the ribbon
>at the right place and how to crease it perfectly around the corners.
~~snipped 4 bandwidth~~

My dad too....he once did a bunch of small gifts for my mom as a train, engine,
cars, caboose......it circled the tree in its sparkly choo-choo-ness.
~~
Sooz

Dr. Sooz

Dec 30, 2002, 4:34:27 PM12/30/02
>Since so many of our gifts must be sent to other states and countries, we
>wrap most gifts-to-go in white tissue and red yarn.

I thought it was a bad idea to giftwrap things going overseas, because customs
may have a random inspection, opening the package and then unwrapping the
gift......Is this correct? Anyone know?
~~
Sooz

Dr. Sooz

Dec 30, 2002, 4:37:34 PM12/30/02
>He sounds alot like my dad used to be when he was still wrapping our
>gifts, except pop went for the bows and ribbons and sometimes would
>put 3 little bows across a large present.

I love to *cover* a present with about 15 bows (the pre-fab kind you buy in big
bags at CostCo). Very plush look.

I LOVE the Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart, *and* the Chanticleer men's
chorus was wonderful this year on TV!

~~
Sooz

Vicki in DC

Dec 31, 2002, 8:44:14 AM12/31/02
diva...@aol.compuppies (Dr. Sooz) wrote in message news:<20021230163734...@mb-mj.aol.com>...

Hmmm...that look sounds very cool. I'll have to try that w/ various
peoples' presents next year!

Missed the Chanticleer men's chorus this year but will try to catch it
again next year. My DH and I try to watch just about everything at
Xmastime; Charlie Brown, a few versions of a Christmas Carol,
Scrooged, the old Rankin Bass specials we grew up with. Thank gawd
for video and DVD!

Vicki in DC