I need...

Jjjjjulie

Jan 19, 2004, 5:19:10 PM1/19/04
The thread on wedding attire lead me to think that we all probably need
something in our wardrobes--and I don't mean another pair of black shoes. ;-)

What do you need?

an ensemble for a late afternoon wedding? for a formal wedding? for a morning
wedding in the winter?

a second interview outfit?

a "take the interns out on their last day dinner" suit?

something for a third date?

What do you need? And ideally, what would you like to buy?

And you've just filled one of these types of gaps in your wardrobe, what did
you buy and why?

--
Julie P.
"don't want to learn about etiquette/from glossy magazines"--Bryan Ferry

ahmward

Jan 19, 2004, 5:44:22 PM1/19/04

"Jjjjjulie" <jjjj...@aol.comehither> wrote in message

I just ordered a black lambskin jacket which will hopefully fit well. I
have lots of outfits
on hand for weddings no matter what time of the day. My best investment
this fall was a four piece Tahari
suit, black with a thin raspberry pinstripe. There's slacks, a jacket,
sleeveless raspberry top and short
straight skirt.
I went to an Oscar trunk show last fall and pre-selected two outfits for the
spring. The item that does need to
be replaced is my beige silk RL pantsuit. I like the color and style but
want something a bit more updated.
What are the styles and colors for spring?
Audrey

Trilby

Jan 19, 2004, 5:47:25 PM1/19/04
In article <20040119171910...@mb-m26.aol.com>,

Jjjjjulie <jjjj...@aol.comehither> wrote:
>The thread on wedding attire lead me to think that we all probably need
>something in our wardrobes--and I don't mean another pair of black shoes. ;-)
>
>What do you need?

Lilly Pulitzer separates and Hermes scarves.

Oh you mean, *need*.

I need a few more dresses. Believe it or not, I only own two daytime
dresses!

I need a couple more daytime suits to wear to ladies-who-lunch events,
church, board meetings, etc.

I don't own a pantsuit, and I'd really like to get a couple.

Strangely enough, I also need pantyhose. Every time I get dressed up I'm
scrambling for some. I stocked up a while ago and I guess it's time to
restock.

I need more wool trousers--flat front, to take the place of the pairs of
tapered, pleated ones I have. :P

I need a brown toggle coat to wear with the brown clothes Claire made me
buy. And brown gloves to go with the coat. ;)

And at the rate I'm losing weight, I'm going to need all new spring/summer
clothes.

Priscilla

--
ps...@midway.uchicago.edu "Here comes the most beautiful woman in puppetland!"

EMiriamD

Jan 19, 2004, 6:59:37 PM1/19/04
OK, nobody faint but I need things that aren't...black.

Seriously. I'm ready.

EMiriamD

"No fashion is ever a success unless it is used as a form of seduction."
-- Christian Dior

ahmward

Jan 19, 2004, 7:01:31 PM1/19/04

"EMiriamD" <emir...@aol.com> wrote in message

I know several ladies who can point you toward Lily Pulitzer. When we met
you were wearing colors and
looked great.
Audrey

Erin

Jan 19, 2004, 7:34:55 PM1/19/04
>And you've just filled one of these types of gaps in your wardrobe, what did
>you buy and why?

I just bought a black pinstripe pant suit from Petite Sophisticate for my
"interview suit." I never really felt I was a "suit girl" but when I tried
this suit on, it looked like it was made for me. Hopefully, this suit will get
me a job!! :)

Now I need a "second interview" suit. I'm not that big on Navy, which is a
classic, so what would you all suggest???

Erin

Mceezee

Jan 19, 2004, 7:41:54 PM1/19/04

>Now I need a "second interview" suit. I'm not that big on Navy, which is a
>classic, so what would you all suggest???

Possibly gray or black with a pinstripe.

Caryperk39

Jan 19, 2004, 8:18:30 PM1/19/04
I need a really fun swimsuit coverup. I have lots of sarong thingys but I'd
like a killer coverup that goes with lots of different bathing suits.

All my vacations seem to involve beaches or resorts or pools. I'm happy about
this.

But this is a serious hole in my wardrobe.

I also need some shoes to replace the ever comfortable Steve Madden black
slides that I could run a marathon in, but which went out of style 2 years ago.

That is all.

(shades of Steve Martin in The Jerk - "and this chair")

cary

Trilby

Jan 19, 2004, 8:39:15 PM1/19/04
In article <20040119185937...@mb-m05.aol.com>,

EMiriamD <emir...@aol.com> wrote:
>OK, nobody faint but I need things that aren't...black.
>
>Seriously. I'm ready.
>
>EMiriamD

EMD, I'm getting seriously into brown. Just ask Claire, whose enabling is
both ruthless and thorough.

So think about brown. It's warm, snuggly, and cozy, yet somehow hip,
youthful and urban ... Downtown Chocolate Brown.

Priscilla who is hungry all of a sudden

KMS

Jan 19, 2004, 8:55:15 PM1/19/04

Jjjjjulie wrote:

> What do you need? And ideally, what would you like to buy?

I desperately need cold-weather dressy clothes. Not frou-frou dressy, but
something appropriate for a funeral, a nice dinner party, an evening event that
doesn't require a cocktail dress, etc. I'm thinking pantsuit, though a long
skirt/dress might do as well. I have no idea. Which is why I don't own anything
that meets this description yet, except for a 20-year-old Norma Kamali pantsuit
that looks it.

I also really need a new black coat. Preferably something fitted. Leather would
be nice, but is not an absolute requirement. I have a long black double-breasted
trench but it's a bit too much for most of what I wear, and I don't think even
Goodwill would touch my old ON black parka at this point.

If I decide to start attending the free-to-members yoga classes at the
neighborhood center, I'll need stuff for that because I have *nothing*,
exercise-wise. I will of course check Tarjay first! Thanks to AF, I know what to
get - I just have to go out and get it!

Skinny pants! I need some! The mags all say they're back, but I can't find them
anywhere. Not for under $100, anyway, which is pretty much my pants limit,
especially when it comes to trendy shapes.

More bra tanks/camis in white and nude, gearing up for spring/summer.

Black-framed prescription sunglasses. I have brown, but need black. In fact, I
could use some new eyeglasses too. I don't absolutely need them, I suppose,
because I don't think my prescription has changed much this year. But I'm sort
of bored with what I have.

-KMS

Stevie

Jan 19, 2004, 9:02:26 PM1/19/04

"EMiriamD" <emir...@aol.com> wrote in message
> OK, nobody faint but I need things that aren't...black.
>
> Seriously. I'm ready.
>
> EMiriamD
>
> add in colored tops... that's the cheapest most effective way to start!
Then start adding in colored pants OR jackets because it always works with
black
Stevie

Caryperk39

Jan 19, 2004, 9:06:37 PM1/19/04
>So think about brown. It's warm, snuggly, and cozy, yet somehow hip,
>youthful and urban ... Downtown Chocolate Brown.
>
>Priscilla who is hungry all of a sudden
>
>--
>ps...@midway.uchicago.edu "Here comes the most beautiful woman in
>puppetland!"

Priscilla, I beat you to brown. I fell in love with brown last spring & I
absolutely adore it with pink, baby blue, lime green and even some shades of
red.

Maybe we can swap wardrobes because i'm starting to feel lilly-ish.

cary

Sleepi8

Jan 19, 2004, 9:19:55 PM1/19/04
I need some cute "going out" tops for spring/summer, BUT I don't want anything
that's sleeveless or has cap sleeves, and I don't like deep vees or wide scoop
necks so I have my work cut out for me.

Shari

Jennifer R.

Jan 19, 2004, 10:22:05 PM1/19/04
"Jjjjjulie" <jjjj...@aol.comehither> wrote in message
> The thread on wedding attire lead me to think that we all probably need
> something in our wardrobes--and I don't mean another pair of black shoes.
;-)

> What do you need?

Great thread!

I need a lot, so don't laugh. :) I'm a lowly college student and never have
a need for anything outside of my daily garb.

- Black pants. I seriously don't own a single pair... I am a skirt person!
- A few nice tops for dates, to pair with my dressier skirts.
- Feminine casual knee-length skirts. I love this look but am incredibly
picky about which ones I want to buy. I'm thinking of hitting up Wet Seal
and the like to see what they have to offer. I haven't been in one for 5+
years, but it seems like they might have something!
- A suit for potential suit-appropriate events.
- Boots to wear with miniskirts in the winter. Minis are a pretty big part
of my wardrobe, and I hate not being able to wear them for so long. I am
really liking the Frye harness brown boots, but am waiting to see if I can
find them for under $100. :)
- Dresses with varying degrees of fanciness. I have a black evening dress I
bought on ebay that I adore, but of course it is the most impractical. :) I
really need some for weekend wear, potential dates, fancy dinners, cruises,
theater, etc.
- An evening clutch. Preferably black and a silky, feminine material. It
is probably the most un-needed thing on my needs list, but its one I look
most forward to finding. :)

Jennifer

Chris Braun

Jan 19, 2004, 10:30:27 PM1/19/04
I will be attending a large formal wedding in June -- that of my
niece. It will be a black tie evening wedding, taking place at the
Museum for Women in the Arts, here in Washington, DC (a very elegant
room). I'm not ready to shop just yet, but am starting to think about
it. I'd welcome advice now and will definitely be asking more
questions later.

The groom's family is quite wealthy and from New York City, and when
I've met them before they've been very fashionably dressed -- more
than we are used to on our side :-). I would expect a lot of the
guests to also be very fashionable. My sister-in-law is definitely
encouraging us to indulge in dressy clothes for this affair. I'd
describe my niece and her fiance's style as classic modern -- clean
lines, elegant.

A couple of early questions:

1. What's the thinking on black for weddings? And if black isn't
good, what sort of color would be? I'd like something I can wear to
other formal occasions in the spring/summer. And I don't think
something like a floral print would be suitable.

2. I want to wear a dress rather than pants. Is a long dress the
only way to go for a black tie event? Or is something like tea-length
okay?

3. Is it acceptable to wear something that shows a lot of neck and
shoulder? (I've never really worn anything like that but would kind
of like to, as I really like my collarbone/shoulder area. Of course,
this will create an undergarment challenge for me :-).)

4. This will be a Jewish ceremony -- reform. Does that affect
clothing choice?

Oh -- this probably matters: I'm 55 years old (actually, 56 by then)
5'5", size 12, muscular build with sort of an hourglass shape. I have
fairly short medium brown hair, blue eyes, fair skin, and glasses.
I'm not the tall elegant type, I'm afraid.

Chris

Jules

Jan 19, 2004, 10:56:30 PM1/19/04

Oh boy...so much to need, so little time. ;-)

I need:

A great gray pencil skirt

A good black wool or cashmere 3/4 coat

A white blouse I actually like

A new "little black dress", the several I have are just boring me now

A new black cashmere sweater (my other two are looking a bit worse for
the wear)

And finally, I need a pair of white leather gloves. Well, not need per
se, but really, really want.

jules

--
Every hours wounds.
The last one kills.

Bbnuke

Jan 19, 2004, 11:03:36 PM1/19/04
>Jjjjjulie wrote:
What do you need? And ideally, what would you like to buy?>

I need business suits and, like KMS, dressy cold weather clothes.

I recently filled a major hole in my wardrobe by purchasing a black nearly
ankle-length lambswool coat. It is fitted and has a small collar and cuffs with
silvery tipped short black fur (hard to describe, but the fur is smooth not
fluffy) It goes well with business clothes, dressy clothes and even jeans and
boots. I had been getting by with various long jackets or no coat at all, but
now I have a real grownup coat. I love it.

Bebe

Trilby

Jan 19, 2004, 11:23:12 PM1/19/04
In article <20040119210637...@mb-m01.aol.com>,
I worked my way up to chocolate brown by means of a couple of seasons of
caramel colored things for spring and fall. Then I bought the Lilly bark
brown corduroy bee pants and all was lost. Now I am drowning in a sea of
fudge.

Priscilla

Veronica Moonlit

Jan 19, 2004, 11:29:12 PM1/19/04

Again with this "things that aren't black". There is only black.
No matter what happens, black will be there for you to return.
Black is an unconditional love. Even if you turn to "color"
Black will be waiting.

Veronica

--
Makeup, it takes believing in. Like a magic carpet, it's
belief that makes it fly. Otherwise, it's just a rug. If

Veronica Moonlit

Jan 19, 2004, 11:32:36 PM1/19/04

I need a black pencil skirt.

I need more separates.

I need black mary janes

I need cute black sandals for summer.

I need a cute trench.

naffi

Jan 19, 2004, 11:30:53 PM1/19/04

"Chris Braun" <braun...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> I will be attending a large formal wedding in June -- that of my
> niece. It will be a black tie evening wedding, taking place at the
> Museum for Women in the Arts, here in Washington, DC (a very elegant
> room). I'm not ready to shop just yet, but am starting to think about
> it. I'd welcome advice now and will definitely be asking more
> questions later.
>
> The groom's family is quite wealthy and from New York City, and when
> I've met them before they've been very fashionably dressed -- more
> than we are used to on our side :-). I would expect a lot of the
> guests to also be very fashionable. My sister-in-law is definitely
> encouraging us to indulge in dressy clothes for this affair. I'd
> describe my niece and her fiance's style as classic modern -- clean
> lines, elegant.
>
> A couple of early questions:
>
> 1. What's the thinking on black for weddings? And if black isn't
> good, what sort of color would be? I'd like something I can wear to
> other formal occasions in the spring/summer. And I don't think
> something like a floral print would be suitable.

When i got married last year, i am had few people ask me if i minded if they
wore black to my wedding, as they believed it was ok to wear back as long as
the bride okayed it.

naffi

naffi

Jan 19, 2004, 11:33:17 PM1/19/04
i desparately need some new shoes for casual and work wear, also a pair of
black knee high boots for winter.
A pair of black dress pants, these have been missing from my wardrobe for
quite a while now.

naffi

Charles Perrin

Jan 20, 2004, 12:05:31 AM1/20/04
On 19 Jan 2004 22:19:10 GMT, Jjjjjulie wrote:

>What do you need?

>a second interview outfit?

Maybe a first interview outfit for starters.

OTOH, I haven't done had an interview since the Carter Administration.

>What do you need?

I probably need a good funeral suit (kind of like an interview
outfit).

>And ideally, what would you like to buy?

A new wardrobe in a smaller size.

Chris Braun

Jan 20, 2004, 12:07:09 AM1/20/04
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 04:10:21 GMT, S./NYC
<TAKEguiltyTH...@hotpop.com> wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>braun...@mindspring.com says...

>> I will be attending a large formal wedding in June
>>

>> A couple of early questions:
>>
>> 1. What's the thinking on black for weddings?
>

>In DC? I wouldn't.

>> 3. Is it acceptable to wear something that shows a lot of neck and
>> shoulder?
>>

>> 4. This will be a Jewish ceremony -- reform. Does that affect
>> clothing choice?
>

>If the ceremony is at the reception site, no problem. But bare shoulders
>are as inappropriate in a synagogue as they would be in a church.
>
>-S./NYC

Thanks. I wasn't too keen on black myself, except that it's always
the first thing that comes to mind when I think of really dressy
clothing. I'll look for something else, though.

Yes, the ceremony is at the reception site.

Chris

Erin

Jan 20, 2004, 12:15:24 AM1/20/04
>Possibly gray or black with a pinstripe.

I like the grey idea, the first suit I bought is a black with pinstripe, so I
don't want the same thing.

I would up going down to Petite Sophisticate again tonight and bought a jacket
and skirt in Brownstone. It's a smokey brown color. I figured it would look
cute with a pink striped blouse for spring. The skirt and jacket were only
$77.00 together. I am so excited (Reg price for jacket is $139 and the skirt
is reg. $69!) I went online and ordered the pants that go with it. I may take
back the skirt, because I really wanted the pants, but in case they weren't
online, I bought them anyway! (this was what the ladies at the store told me to
do!!)

So now I have two suits!! Maybe a grey one is in my future now!

Erin

Claire in SF

Jan 20, 2004, 12:43:42 AM1/20/04

"ahmward" <nospam....@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I am clueless as to what is planned but I'm hoping turquoise/aqua for
completely self-centered reasons.
Claire

Claire in SF

Jan 20, 2004, 12:49:43 AM1/20/04

"Trilby" <ps...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote in message

> In article <20040119185937...@mb-m05.aol.com>,
> EMiriamD <emir...@aol.com> wrote:
> >OK, nobody faint but I need things that aren't...black.
> >
> >Seriously. I'm ready.
> >
> >EMiriamD
>
> EMD, I'm getting seriously into brown. Just ask Claire, whose enabling is
> both ruthless and thorough.
>
> So think about brown. It's warm, snuggly, and cozy, yet somehow hip,
> youthful and urban ... Downtown Chocolate Brown.
>
> Priscilla who is hungry all of a sudden

Zara drew me in a little over two years ago with a fabulous choc brown wool
sweater at an outrageously wonderful price. Prior to that I'd had brown
shoes but mainly to wear with navy, gray, and olive toned outfits or jeans.

Today I received a beautiful snuggly darm brown wool scarf hand knitted by a
good friend.

I didn't realize I was ruthless but I probably am.

Claire, fainting despite EMD's admonishment

Parakeet

Jan 20, 2004, 12:54:19 AM1/20/04

"Claire in SF" <clai...@aol.com> wrote in message

Cocktail wear, I have "formal dressy" and "work" and "play" nothing that
could go from work to cocktails or straight to cocktails.

I'm so lame.

Laurie0512

Jan 20, 2004, 1:41:20 AM1/20/04
Sometimes I can be lazy about buying basics I need.

I need...
Basics:
*more pairs of black pants - just got the Express "Editor" flat front pants
the other day and love them. My favorite pairs of black pants (from Express
las year) have started fading, so I really could use more.
*a couple of black cardigans
*a pair of gray pants - I should get the Express gray Editor pants...
*another pair of khaki or tan pants
*a basic black knee-length skirt

Other nearly basic things I need/want:
*the perfect cord knee length skirt that would go well with my Frye campus
Banana boots
*a black pleated above the knee skirt
*a denim pleated above the knee skirt
*some fun bright colors for spring
*another pair of designer jeans....probably either Sevens or COH. I'm still
thinking about the Sevens from Saks with the $50 off code...

Laurie

Hateithere

Jan 20, 2004, 4:23:53 AM1/20/04

>What do you need?
>
>an ensemble for a late afternoon wedding? for a formal wedding? for a
>morning
>wedding in the winter?
>
>a second interview outfit?

Actually, I just need a few more Little Black Dresses. I searched high and low
during the Christmas season thinking surely there'll be a bunch for sale but no
luck. I need these for company parties and I'm sick of mine :(

Dana in DE

A Adams

Jan 20, 2004, 5:39:37 AM1/20/04

"Trilby" <ps...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote in message

Now I am drowning in a sea of
> fudge.

There are worse things in life :-)

I am still hunting for the perfect V neck black cashmere sweater. So far it
has eluded me.

Jjjjjulie

Jan 20, 2004, 6:56:21 AM1/20/04

>From: Chris Braun braun...@mindspring.com

>I will be attending a large formal wedding in June -- that of my
>niece. It will be a black tie evening wedding, taking place at the
>Museum for Women in the Arts, here in Washington, DC (a very elegant
>room). I'm not ready to shop just yet, but am starting to think about
>it. I'd welcome advice now and will definitely be asking more
>questions later.

>A couple of early questions:

>1. What's the thinking on black for weddings? And if black isn't
>good, what sort of color would be? I'd like something I can wear to
>other formal occasions in the spring/summer. And I don't think
>something like a floral print would be suitable.

Why not? John Galliano has consistently included beautiful floral long dresses
in his collections, and they regularly turn up on women in the pages of _Vogue_
and _Town and Country_. I would not wear black in the summer in DC, and I
would not wear black to a wedding (anywhere, and also especially in DC).

As for what to buy, there are lots of options out there, so you might want to
stop by Neiman Marcus, Saks-Jandel, Rizik Brothers, Harriet Kassman, etc., to
see what they have and to talk with the salespeople to see what they expect to
get in in the next few months.

>2. I want to wear a dress rather than pants. Is a long dress the
>only way to go for a black tie event? Or is something like tea-length
>okay?

The correct option is a long dress, cut close to the body [as opposed to a ball
gown, which is "white tie" attire for women]), or what used to be called a
"dinner dress."

>3. Is it acceptable to wear something that shows a lot of neck and
>shoulder? (I've never really worn anything like that but would kind
>of like to, as I really like my collarbone/shoulder area. Of course,
>this will create an undergarment challenge for me :-).)

I'm rather modest and I tend to dress in a way that reflects thatk so salt my
comments to taste, but I think that in a case like this it's best not to draw
that kind of attention to oneself. YMMV.

Jrgboj M. Gpkgbdfike Jr.

Jan 20, 2004, 8:16:25 AM1/20/04
As re. brown:

I am VERY slowly warming up to it. Mostly in leather things. I recently
rediscovered a pair of mocha brown driving gloves, plus I have added various
shades of it in shoes & belts.

Overall, though, brown looks horrid on me, and I have been outside a lot and
have that tan thing going, I look like a core sample from a Snickers when I
wear it.

Having said that, I think I need more cufflinks. I only have 2 sets in active
rotation (cloisonne signet, monogrammed) and 3 sets that mostly do black-tie
duty.

-Joe in SoFla

I don't care, and you can't make me.

Jrgboj M. Gpkgbdfike Jr.

Jan 20, 2004, 8:17:57 AM1/20/04
Oh, and more about brown...

I am currently lusting after these:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/images/products/lg/55236_LG.jpg

Race driving penny loafers! Excellent! (& on sale, too)

Faintly McAbre, The Singular Pocketwop

Jan 20, 2004, 12:17:10 PM1/20/04
jjjj...@aol.comehither (Jjjjjulie) wrote in message news:<20040119171910...@mb-m26.aol.com>...

> And you've just filled one of these types of gaps in your wardrobe, what did
> you buy and why?

I had a serious gap in my coats, actually. I have the long Burberry
trench with a zip-in lining, but that's not enough for the weather
we've been having. And I have a short fluffy "velvet" coat that I got
at a Talbot's clearance many ages ago that is warm, and a short
leather jacket with a zip-in lining that is almost as warm... but I
didn't have a nice, long, extremely warm coat.

Something told me I should check out the Salvation Army; I had
actually been thinking post-Christmas might be a good time to find
some interesting old housewares. I struck out on the housewares, but
found that coats were 1/2 off that day, and at those prices ($15
each!), I felt no need to have to choose between the two coats I liked
best - a 3/4 black fake fur, and a full length black lambswool (both
of which I've already raved about elsewhere).

I still need more of what I refer to as "gig clothing" - lots of
simple blacks that can be combined and recombined for a heavy
performance season. This sounds easier than it is - skirts have to be
long and somewhat full, sleeves have to be unobstrusive (but
present!), necklines can't gap (I'd prefer not to flash the audience
when I bow). I'm hurting the most on things for extremely cold
weather, though one short black wool blazer I have has been
outrageously useful, since it looks very different depending upon
what's underneath it. I could really use another plain long black
dress that can be dressed up or down, though, and the trick is that it
needs to have sleeves and a longer, fuller skirt. I'll have to order
from Chadwick's, I think.

Fondly,
Faintly McAbre

Maria

Jan 20, 2004, 1:13:25 PM1/20/04
As far as I know, at weddings female guests generally abstain from
wearing either black or white. Of course everyone is free to do
whatever they want but I believe that's the normal etiquette.

Since this is a black-tie evening? event I think you should be able to
wear something low cut and/or open (within reason) it will give you a
great chance to wear any important jewelry you own, or wear a fabulous
piece/set of costume jewelry.

--Maria

Blazin' Tommy D.

Jan 20, 2004, 2:58:15 PM1/20/04

"Jjjjjulie" <jjjj...@aol.comehither> wrote in message
> The thread on wedding attire lead me to think that we all probably need
> something in our wardrobes--and I don't mean another pair of black shoes.
;-)

> What do you need?

[clip]

1) a red silk ruffle shirt

2) a Grey silk ruffle shirt

3) A fitted dark wash cropped denim shirt with mother of pearl snaps

4) cream leather ankle boots (heeled)

5) heeled or wedge thong sandals

6) black stretch jeans

7) warm chaps for the remainder of coldness with cotton padded ass warmers
(luxury add on feature)

Blazin' Tommy D.

Jan 20, 2004, 3:02:09 PM1/20/04

"Faintly McAbre, The Singular Pocketwop" <faintly...@hotmail.com> wrote
in message news:17b5c09f.04012...@posting.google.com...

BTD: DearFM:)
Have you tried Newport News? They have some exceptional values there.

res0...@gte.net

Jan 20, 2004, 7:37:11 PM1/20/04
I love brown and it's a great color for me, I'm glad it's popular so
it's easy to find. For the longest time you could never find brown.

ronda

KMS

Jan 20, 2004, 8:11:04 PM1/20/04

res0...@gte.net wrote:

> I love brown and it's a great color for me, I'm glad it's popular so
> it's easy to find. For the longest time you could never find brown.

Y'all are killing me with this brown talk. For years that was all I wore. Then
AF prompted me to add lots of black to my wardrobe. Now I'm a walking bruise,
pretty much.

I'm seeing tons of brown this year, even in the spring stuff, which is a first!

-KMS

ahmward

Jan 20, 2004, 8:30:29 PM1/20/04

"KMS" <badge...@puttyhead.combustible> wrote in message
You and me both. I had very little black in my wardrobe before alt.fashion.
I never thought I looked
good in it (some high school sewing teacher steered me wrong). Now for
winter it's brown, black or
gray with lots of red and green.
Audrey

Chris Braun

Jan 20, 2004, 8:42:49 PM1/20/04

Yes, it's an evening event, and black tie. Anything low cut I do
would definitely be within reason :-). I'm pretty conservative, and
55 years old. The jewelry is a plus I hadn't even thought of.

I didn't really know what the rules were about black, as I haven't
considered it before for a wedding, but from what I'm hearing here I
won't go that way. Besides, it will be summer in Washington :-). I
know white isn't usually worn at weddings, and wouldn't have thought
of getting a white dress.

I'm looking forward to shopping for this. I don't know that there
will be the right sorts of things in the stores yet, but perhaps so.
For formal events people like to shop ahead of time, I guess. One
reason I don't want to buy something too early is that I'm still
losing weight -- albeit slowly -- and don't want to end up with
something that's too loose.

Chris

Chris Braun

Jan 20, 2004, 8:43:46 PM1/20/04
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:07:15 -0500, "S. Gupta"
<shalini.gupta[a]@saic.com> wrote:

>"Chris Braun" <braun...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>> I will be attending a large formal wedding in June -- that of my
>> niece. It will be a black tie evening wedding, taking place at the
>> Museum for Women in the Arts, here in Washington, DC (a very elegant
>> room). I'm not ready to shop just yet, but am starting to think about
>> it. I'd welcome advice now and will definitely be asking more
>> questions later.
>>

>> The groom's family is quite wealthy and from New York City, and when
>> I've met them before they've been very fashionably dressed -- more
>> than we are used to on our side :-). I would expect a lot of the
>> guests to also be very fashionable. My sister-in-law is definitely
>> encouraging us to indulge in dressy clothes for this affair. I'd
>> describe my niece and her fiance's style as classic modern -- clean
>> lines, elegant.
>>

>> A couple of early questions:
>>
>> 1. What's the thinking on black for weddings? And if black isn't
>> good, what sort of color would be? I'd like something I can wear to
>> other formal occasions in the spring/summer. And I don't think
>> something like a floral print would be suitable.
>

>Personally, I am a traditionalist when it comes to dressing up for weddings
>so no black to a wedding. I'm sure you also look good in other colors. For
>an evening wedding in the summer, I would wear something in a lovely lilac
>or lavender with some beading. The image I am getting is Uma Thurman in the
>lilac Prada gown she wore to the Oscars several years ago. Think clean
>lines, beautiful color, and beading to add the appropriate sparkle for
>evening.

>> 2. I want to wear a dress rather than pants. Is a long dress the
>> only way to go for a black tie event? Or is something like tea-length
>> okay?
>

>The longer the better.

>> 3. Is it acceptable to wear something that shows a lot of neck and
>> shoulder? (I've never really worn anything like that but would kind
>> of like to, as I really like my collarbone/shoulder area. Of course,
>> this will create an undergarment challenge for me :-).)
>

>If you like necklaces, a dress showing off neck, shoulder area would be
>great.

>> 4. This will be a Jewish ceremony -- reform. Does that affect
>> clothing choice?
>

>I don't know anything about that though as long it is not an Orthodox
>ceremony, I think you would be okay. But don't hold me to that.
>
>> Oh -- this probably matters: I'm 55 years old (actually, 56 by then)
>> 5'5", size 12, muscular build with sort of an hourglass shape. I have
>> fairly short medium brown hair, blue eyes, fair skin, and glasses.
>> I'm not the tall elegant type, I'm afraid.
>>
>> Chris
>
>Shalini

Thanks for all the great advice!

Chris

Chris Braun

Jan 20, 2004, 8:44:16 PM1/20/04

Me too :-) !

Chris

Charles Perrin

Jan 20, 2004, 10:40:38 PM1/20/04
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 01:11:04 GMT, KMS wrote:

>I'm seeing tons of brown this year, even in the spring stuff, which is a first!

I just hope that they come out with some yellow Chucks. I get asked on
a semi-daily basis where to find them and all I can say is "eBay...
all the normal retailers I know have sold out!"

Dr. Sooz

Jan 21, 2004, 1:42:47 AM1/21/04
I need almost everything. I'm serious. Well, okay, I don't need long-sleeved
t-shirts.

But I do, actually and really, need everything else.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Jrgboj M. Gpkgbdfike Jr.

Jan 21, 2004, 6:24:44 AM1/21/04
>I need almost everything. I'm serious. Well, okay, I don't need
>long-sleeved
>t-shirts.
>
>But I do, actually and really, need everything else.

You dress like Donald Duck?

Marnie

Jan 21, 2004, 11:43:24 AM1/21/04
Chris Braun <braun...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<4bmr009pfkl7oudnk...@4ax.com>...

Me three - I've been buying a lot of brown basics while they're around
- I figure eventually they will be hard to find again. If they're
still around in spring collections, I'm going to be very happy! I
have a lot of black too, but the right brown looks so much better on
me.

Marnie

Dr. Sooz

Jan 21, 2004, 12:30:04 PM1/21/04
>You dress like Donald Duck?

Haw!
(I'm practically wearing rags)

Linda Apholz

Jan 21, 2004, 2:44:06 PM1/21/04
Chris Braun <braun...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<r0mr00dq631ut36c5...@4ax.com>...

> I didn't really know what the rules were about black, as I haven't
> considered it before for a wedding, but from what I'm hearing here I
> won't go that way. Besides, it will be summer in Washington :-). I
> know white isn't usually worn at weddings, and wouldn't have thought
> of getting a white dress.

I strongly disagree about black being in appropriate at a wedding.
UNLESS it's very conservative/traditional. If those getting married
are young, hip, and stylish as you said, I would think black would be
more than OK. I'd be willing to bet there will be women at that
wedding dressed in black. I've attended numerous weddings in the past
3 years where many women wore black. Heck, I was IN 3 weddings where
we, the bridesmaids, wore black. I think it's completely acceptable
in most cases. If you wanted to wear black, I agree with the other
posted who asked the bride if she feels it's OK. I'd do that in a
heartbeat. But only if you find a dress that is black, otherwise if
you go with something else it's obviously not an issue.

Just my $.02.

Linda in tampa/st. pete

Vicki in DC

Jan 21, 2004, 3:55:33 PM1/21/04
"ahmward" <nospam....@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<U5WdnZPJZZd...@giganews.com>...
> "EMiriamD" <emir...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > OK, nobody faint but I need things that aren't...black.
> >
> > Seriously. I'm ready.
> >
> > EMiriamD
> >
> > "No fashion is ever a success unless it is used as a form of seduction."
> > -- Christian Dior
>
> I know several ladies who can point you toward Lily Pulitzer. When we met
> you were wearing colors and
> looked great.
> Audrey

Here's a place to get started, Girlfriend:

http://www.lillypulitzer.com/index1.html

There are links to locations and a search on Ebay will produce even
more lust worthy Lilly.

As for what I need, I actually need another pair of black shoes. I
was wearing my black snake print loafers to pay respects to my dad
over the holidaze. It was a muddy mess at Arlington National, I
charged forth and um, all I can say is I got eaten by the mud and lost
one shoe there. I looked like someone from that recent mud footrace
that happened in the UK (IIRC? It took place there in the past few
weeks). I have other black loafers but these were by far and away the
most comfortable I had.

The groundskeepers are going to wonder when they dig up the one black
shoe. But then again, it was so muddy, I imagine they will find lots
of odd shoes there.

Vicki in DC, who *needs* nothing else(I swear) but *wants* more Lilly
(sigh).

Marnie

Jan 22, 2004, 4:45:22 PM1/22/04
jjjj...@aol.comehither (Jjjjjulie) wrote in message news:<20040119171910...@mb-m26.aol.com>...
> The thread on wedding attire lead me to think that we all probably need
> something in our wardrobes--and I don't mean another pair of black shoes. ;-)
>
> What do you need?

I need:

New eyeglass frames - and maybe I'll get 2 or 3 pairs this time!

Variety in my outer wear - more coats and jackets.

Dark brown leather flat/low heel shoes to wear with business pants.

Tailored shirts, with stripes in spring's fun colors.

Another pair of weekend jeans.

And if I needed to attend something like a formal winter wedding or
formal Valentine's ball, I would need to go shopping!

And I guess if I were off to a Caribbean isle tomorrow, I'd need a new
bathing suit, an elegant coverup, and a great dance skirt/dress in a
colorful (fuschia, yellow, lime) print! Hmmm - maybe if I get this
stuff, the opportunity for a trip will magically appear... isn't that
what they say - "luck favors the prepared" ??!!

Marnie

Poetic Badgers

Feb 6, 2004, 5:05:51 PM2/6/04
emir...@aol.com (EMiriamD) wrote on 19 Jan 2004:

> OK, nobody faint but I need things that aren't...black.
>
> Seriously. I'm ready.
>
> EMiriamD
>
> "No fashion is ever a success unless it is used as a form of
> seduction."
> -- Christian Dior

Oh! Good for you! :-) What are some colors you like?

--
Poetic Badgers
Smeeter #32

"Thank G*d I took off my heels, and put on my... HIMALAYAN WALKING
SHOES!!!" -Elaine Benes, writing copy for JPeterman's

Veronica Moonlit

Feb 7, 2004, 1:03:58 AM2/7/04
Poetic Badgers wrote:
> emir...@aol.com (EMiriamD) wrote on 19 Jan 2004:
>

>>OK, nobody faint but I need things that aren't...black.
>>
>>Seriously. I'm ready.
>>
>>EMiriamD
>>
>>"No fashion is ever a success unless it is used as a form of
>>seduction."
>> -- Christian Dior
>>

> Oh! Good for you! :-) What are some colors you like?

Don't encourage Emiriam in her current delusion. Emiriam loves
Black don't you sweetie. Black is the most perfect color. One
could base an entire chic and fashionable wardrobe on black. And
all the best shoes are black. And you know what goes good with
black? Red lipstick. You want to keep wearing red lipstick don't
you?

Veronica, doing a Blackette Squad intervention.

--
Makeup, it takes believing in. Like a magic carpet, it's
belief that makes it fly. Otherwise, it's just a rug. If
you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own. Of
course, makeup is only dime-store magic. But it works well
enough, when it's used properly.", the makeup artist, from
the book Sooner or Later, based on the 1978 TV movie of
the same name.

kayper

Feb 7, 2004, 5:35:16 AM2/7/04
Jjjjjulie wrote:
> The thread on wedding attire lead me to think that we all probably need
> something in our wardrobes--and I don't mean another pair of black shoes. ;-)
>
> What do you need?

*Brown "dress" shoes with a little bit of a heel.
But only looking at the moment.
*a longer, warm coat that will do for casual or
"church" dress. Again, only looking.

I would like to say I "need" another pair of black
pants, but I really just *want* another pair of
black pants. kayper

EMiriamD

Feb 7, 2004, 8:02:45 AM2/7/04
>*Brown "dress" shoes with a little bit of a heel.

How funny! I was just thinking that I'd love to get back into wearing brown,
now that I'm getting thoroughly tired of all-black, all the time.

I also need lots of other new colors. And maybe even patterns (!).

Lutachris

Feb 7, 2004, 1:48:23 PM2/7/04

>How funny! I was just thinking that I'd love to get back into wearing brown,
>now that I'm getting thoroughly tired of all-black, all the time.
>
>I also need lots of other new colors. And maybe even patterns (!).
>
>EMiriamD

(going outside to see if the sky is falling, if pigs are flying, if hell is
freezing over, etc.....)

Donna5657

Feb 7, 2004, 2:51:18 PM2/7/04
I need...

- a new haircut and color
- brown dress shoes (preferably with a nice heel)
- a good cotton white blouse
- a few more suits that can be either dressy or conservative.

Poetic Badgers

Feb 7, 2004, 2:54:02 PM2/7/04
Veronica Moonlit <Veronic...@mchsi.com> wrote on 07 Feb 2004:

> Poetic Badgers wrote:
>> emir...@aol.com (EMiriamD) wrote on 19 Jan 2004:
>>

>>>OK, nobody faint but I need things that aren't...black.
>>>
>>>Seriously. I'm ready.
>>>
>>>EMiriamD
>>>
>>>"No fashion is ever a success unless it is used as a form of
>>>seduction."
>>> -- Christian Dior
>>>

>> Oh! Good for you! :-) What are some colors you like?
>>

> Don't encourage Emiriam in her current delusion. Emiriam loves
> Black don't you sweetie. Black is the most perfect color. One
> could base an entire chic and fashionable wardrobe on black. And
> all the best shoes are black. And you know what goes good with
> black? Red lipstick. You want to keep wearing red lipstick don't
> you?
>
> Veronica, doing a Blackette Squad intervention.

Hee hee hee! Too funny, Veronica. :)

Veronica Moonlit

Feb 7, 2004, 5:47:51 PM2/7/04

Wait, if EMiriam wears patterns that means the Cubs will win the
World Series this year because hell has frozen over.

Veronica

Cindy

Feb 7, 2004, 5:57:01 PM2/7/04
I need brown dress sandals, black cardigan or black overcoat of some
kind, lots of perfumes and makeup, other stuff I can't remember lol

Veronica Moonlit

Feb 7, 2004, 6:05:42 PM2/7/04
Poetic Badgers wrote:
> Veronica Moonlit <Veronic...@mchsi.com> wrote on 07 Feb 2004:
>

>>Poetic Badgers wrote:

>>>Oh! Good for you! :-) What are some colors you like?
>>>

>>Don't encourage Emiriam in her current delusion. Emiriam loves
>>Black don't you sweetie. Black is the most perfect color. One
>>could base an entire chic and fashionable wardrobe on black. And
>>all the best shoes are black. And you know what goes good with
>>black? Red lipstick. You want to keep wearing red lipstick don't
>>you?
>>
>>Veronica, doing a Blackette Squad intervention.
>>

> Hee hee hee! Too funny, Veronica. :)

I must admit a sin. I have been pairing color with black and it
has been working for me. Doesn't mean I don't have a lot of black.

And worse, I desired a coral pink suit.

http://tinyurl.com/2mljk

Not even a touch of black trim on it. I decided the suit
wouldn't be a good buy, wouldn't get much use out of it. It's
one of those ladylike spring suits, great for tea/lunch/brunch
with the gals at a fancy
place, but just a little bit too,.. I don't know. I still want
it though. I don't even know if the color would be flattering.

And there are some cute pink Sam & Libby flats I saw in the March
Glamour. I mean, PINK.

If I am going gaga for pink, it really must be the "must have"
color this spring.

I think I need an intervention myself. Sob.

Veronica

Erin

Feb 7, 2004, 7:06:42 PM2/7/04
Donna wrote:

>- a good cotton white blouse

Nordstrom has a line of wrinkle-free blouses by Foxcraft. They come in all
sorts of colors and just wash up beautifully. (I bought mine in white for
under my suit!) They retail for $34.00. You may want to check them out!!

HTH

Erin

maud silver

Feb 8, 2004, 4:08:20 AM2/8/04
On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 23:05:42 GMT, Veronica Moonlit
<Veronic...@mchsi.com> wrote:

>And worse, I desired a coral pink suit.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/2mljk

That's lovely, and I think it would really suit you. I
picture you sitting wearing it in a street cafe, surrounded
by expensive looking shopping bags. Does that help? ;)
--
m a u d i e
Maudie's "when I feel like it" services:

Dr. Sooz

Feb 8, 2004, 1:18:03 PM2/8/04
>>And worse, I desired a coral pink suit.
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/2mljk
>
>That's lovely, and I think it would really suit you. I
>picture you sitting wearing it in a street cafe, surrounded
>by expensive looking shopping bags. Does that help? ;)

Veronica! That is adorable! But, blast you -- now I want one in the spring
green. Uh oh.

val189

Feb 8, 2004, 4:00:10 PM2/8/04
a navy fanny pack, including the strap - I finally found one in white,
but the darned strap is still black.

a twin set which is two separate pieces, not that sewn together type,
in the beige family

valerie

Veronica Moonlit

Feb 8, 2004, 11:20:22 PM2/8/04
maud silver wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 23:05:42 GMT, Veronica Moonlit
> <Veronic...@mchsi.com> wrote:
>

>>And worse, I desired a coral pink suit.
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/2mljk
>

> That's lovely, and I think it would really suit you. I
> picture you sitting wearing it in a street cafe, surrounded
> by expensive looking shopping bags. Does that help? ;)

I do hope you've seen my picture on the AF yahoo picture group. :-)

Your description is exactly how I imagine the suit. That's a
lunch with the gals/upscale shopping kind of suit, and I don't
have that sort of lifestyle. And since I' ma different size top
and bottom I would need to buy two of them. If I could order the
jacket and skirt separately it would be on it's way to my house
by now. And I don't have an appropriate bag or shoes either
because I'm a blackette.

I am so tempted to get it, and then wear it on my birthday (May
9) and go shopping say to a Sephora or MAC counter. Hmm I just
checked, that's mothers day too. I doubt she'd want to do a
"girls day out" with me though.

You've come very close to enabling me, Maud.

Veronica Moonlit

Feb 8, 2004, 11:36:25 PM2/8/04
Dr. Sooz wrote:
>>>And worse, I desired a coral pink suit.
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/2mljk
>>
>>That's lovely, and I think it would really suit you. I
>>picture you sitting wearing it in a street cafe, surrounded
>>by expensive looking shopping bags. Does that help? ;)
>

> Veronica! That is adorable! But, blast you -- now I want one in the spring
> green. Uh oh.
> ~~
> Sooz
> -------

I like the spring green too, but the coral pink one is the one I
like the best. I really don't know why. I never was really into
color before.

I don't know how the quality is on it though. The quality has
been ok on my other JC penney purchases though and I have
received compliments on various things. Not that I trust the
compliments.

Sigh, it's just not the sort of suit aimed at people of my
socioeconomic status. Maybe I'm being a reverse snob there and
I'm sorry for that. I guess I don't feel that I deserve it. To
me that's the sort of suit AFers like Trilby and Poetic Badgers
would wear to their brunches. No offense intended to either one
of them if they wouldn't wear a suit like that.

Thats a suit for a true "lady".and that isn't me.

Sigh. But I want it anyway. There I go again.

Veronica

Parakeet

Feb 9, 2004, 2:35:50 AM2/9/04

"Veronica Moonlit" <Veronic...@mchsi.com> wrote in message

You ARE a true lady, you wear the suit with pride! No such thing as you
don't deserve it, now you march on over to the web site or store and buy
what you want and wear it proudly.

Brunch, lunch, dinner, split it with other outfits, you are what you
wish to project. This suit is just the beginning!

So there <g>

maud silver

Feb 9, 2004, 5:39:30 AM2/9/04
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 04:20:22 GMT, Veronica Moonlit
<Veronic...@mchsi.com> wrote:

>maud silver wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 23:05:42 GMT, Veronica Moonlit
>> <Veronic...@mchsi.com> wrote:
>>

>>>And worse, I desired a coral pink suit.
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/2mljk
>>

>> That's lovely, and I think it would really suit you. I
>> picture you sitting wearing it in a street cafe, surrounded
>> by expensive looking shopping bags. Does that help? ;)
>
>I do hope you've seen my picture on the AF yahoo picture group. :-)

I've seen your pictures on your own website, and I'm very
clear that the cut and colour would look good on you. I
don't _do_ bullshit, so you'll just have to trust me. ;)

>Your description is exactly how I imagine the suit. That's a

See?

>lunch with the gals/upscale shopping kind of suit, and I don't
>have that sort of lifestyle. And since I' ma different size top

I think the word you're looking for there is "yet". Buy the
suit, and then you'll get that "street cafe, good life"
feeling every time you wear it. And before you know it,
you'll be sitting sipping an espresso and skimming the arts
pages of your preferred daily paper, and wondering what all
the fuss was about. I am a _big_ believer in you are what
you wear.

>and bottom I would need to buy two of them. If I could order the
>jacket and skirt separately it would be on it's way to my house
>by now. And I don't have an appropriate bag or shoes either
>because I'm a blackette.

Find a friend who will share, who's the right size to swap
halves -- or more likely, sell the spare two parts on ebay.

The bag and shoes will sort themselves out. They always do.

>I am so tempted to get it, and then wear it on my birthday (May

Perfect!

>9) and go shopping say to a Sephora or MAC counter. Hmm I just

Double perfect. Don't forget to stop for a coffee when you
have those bags ready for propping against your chair legs.

>checked, that's mothers day too. I doubt she'd want to do a
>"girls day out" with me though.

You don't know till you ask. And if that doesn't work, just
find another nice day and do it for the fun.

>You've come very close to enabling me, Maud.

Well, I hope I've done a better job this time! ;)

Veronica Moonlit

Feb 9, 2004, 9:07:16 AM2/9/04
maud silver wrote:

>>>That's lovely, and I think it would really suit you. I
>>>picture you sitting wearing it in a street cafe, surrounded
>>>by expensive looking shopping bags. Does that help? ;)
>>
>>I do hope you've seen my picture on the AF yahoo picture group. :-)
>

> I've seen your pictures on your own website, and I'm very
> clear that the cut and colour would look good on you. I
> don't _do_ bullshit, so you'll just have to trust me. ;)

Oh well then, I trust you. And I do mean that.

>>Your description is exactly how I imagine the suit. That's a
>

> See?
>

>>lunch with the gals/upscale shopping kind of suit, and I don't
>>have that sort of lifestyle. And since I' ma different size top
>

> I think the word you're looking for there is "yet". Buy the
> suit, and then you'll get that "street cafe, good life"
> feeling every time you wear it. And before you know it,
> you'll be sitting sipping an espresso and skimming the arts
> pages of your preferred daily paper, and wondering what all
> the fuss was about. I am a _big_ believer in you are what
> you wear.

Well I don't drink coffee. :-) I guess it will have to be tea.

>>and bottom I would need to buy two of them. If I could order the
>>jacket and skirt separately it would be on it's way to my house
>>by now. And I don't have an appropriate bag or shoes either
>>because I'm a blackette.
>

> Find a friend who will share, who's the right size to swap
> halves -- or more likely, sell the spare two parts on ebay.
>
> The bag and shoes will sort themselves out. They always do.

They had this nice looking t-strap in a coordinating color from
Bisou bisou called Faye: http://tinyurl.com/3ef8c

And there was this sophisticated little clutch called Miranda:
http://tinyurl.com/3dz5d

Plus a silk scarf that was interesting:http://tinyurl.com/yupbh
It was out of stock though.

>>I am so tempted to get it, and then wear it on my birthday (May
>

> Perfect!
>

>>9) and go shopping say to a Sephora or MAC counter. Hmm I just
>

> Double perfect. Don't forget to stop for a coffee when you
> have those bags ready for propping against your chair legs.

Yes that would be nice. I've been promising myself a visit to
Sephora and MAC for ages now.would make a nice present to myself.
I should have went last year. I would most certainly be over
dressed but an AFers first visit to a Sephora and MAC is a
special occasion deserving of a special outfit. The closest ones
are in Oak Brook Centre in Oak Brook in the Chicago Burbs. Are
there any nice places to sit and have a spot of tea?

>>checked, that's mothers day too. I doubt she'd want to do a
>>"girls day out" with me though.
>

> You don't know till you ask. And if that doesn't work, just
> find another nice day and do it for the fun.

Oh yes. I must do something special.

>>You've come very close to enabling me, Maud.
>

> Well, I hope I've done a better job this time! ;)

Why yes you did, enabler. :-) You see last year when Legally
Blonde 2 came out I so wanted a pink suit to wear when I saw it.
And then last week, I was going to a meeting and the lippie I had
put on looked a little bright springy pink for what I was wearing
and I thought, this lippie would be great with some spring type
pink suit or something.

I was staying up with a sick family member and started up a bag
on the website. And put it away for a couple of hours. then
reading the post I'm replying to, made up my mind.

I thought the shoes might get a little bored if I wore them only
with the suit so I also got this in coral too:
http://tinyurl.com/2deh6

I would have got the black one too, but I have 3 similar dresses
to the black one already. Doesn't mean I won't get it when it
goes on clearance. :-)

I was planning to pick up some springy separates, twin set type
items for more wardrobe versatility anyway, I just got less of
them. And yes the ones I got, were pink.

I have to turn in my Blackette club membership card now. I don't
think Lilly has a plus size line so I think I'm safe from
becoming a Lillyette.Not that some of the Lilly clothes aren't
cute, because they are.

Any remaining Blackettes are probably thinking about an
intervention or else "If Veronica has gone pink for spring on us
we might as well too." :-)

And Maud, thank you. I really do mean that.

Veronica

maud silver

Feb 9, 2004, 1:57:35 PM2/9/04
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 14:07:16 GMT, Veronica Moonlit
<Veronic...@mchsi.com> wrote:

>maud silver wrote:
>
>> I've seen your pictures on your own website, and I'm very
>> clear that the cut and colour would look good on you. I
>> don't _do_ bullshit, so you'll just have to trust me. ;)
>
>Oh well then, I trust you. And I do mean that.

I'm honoured.

>> pages of your preferred daily paper, and wondering what all
>> the fuss was about. I am a _big_ believer in you are what
>> you wear.
>
>Well I don't drink coffee. :-) I guess it will have to be tea.

Tea would work. :)

>> The bag and shoes will sort themselves out. They always do.
>
>They had this nice looking t-strap in a coordinating color from
>Bisou bisou called Faye: http://tinyurl.com/3ef8c

That's pretty. And I really like the suggestion that came up
as "you might also like" as well. Seems to be called
"Ownership" which is a bit odd!

>And there was this sophisticated little clutch called Miranda:
>http://tinyurl.com/3dz5d

Now I like that a lot, and very reasonably priced.

>Plus a silk scarf that was interesting: http://tinyurl.com/yupbh
>It was out of stock though.

Nice scarf, though I wouldn't (personal choice here) wear a
scarf with that suit. I think part of the appeal is the
lovely tailored lines of the front, and the shaping of the
lapels -- and anything that detracts seems a bit of a shame.
Plus, you're starting to get a _lot_ of items to coordinate
the colours of, unless you go for all cream or ivory
accessories, so that differences in shade are less obvious?

>> Double perfect. Don't forget to stop for a coffee when you
>> have those bags ready for propping against your chair legs.
>
>Yes that would be nice. I've been promising myself a visit to
>Sephora and MAC for ages now.would make a nice present to myself.
>I should have went last year. I would most certainly be over
>dressed but an AFers first visit to a Sephora and MAC is a
>special occasion deserving of a special outfit. The closest ones

:) nice point!

>are in Oak Brook Centre in Oak Brook in the Chicago Burbs. Are
>there any nice places to sit and have a spot of tea?

I'm sure a local will be along with advice soon!

>> Well, I hope I've done a better job this time! ;)
>
>Why yes you did, enabler. :-) You see last year when Legally

Hurrah!

>Blonde 2 came out I so wanted a pink suit to wear when I saw it.
>And then last week, I was going to a meeting and the lippie I had
>put on looked a little bright springy pink for what I was wearing
>and I thought, this lippie would be great with some spring type
>pink suit or something.

The inner pink you is obviously clamouring for attention.
Time to listen. :)

>I was staying up with a sick family member and started up a bag
>on the website. And put it away for a couple of hours. then
>reading the post I'm replying to, made up my mind.
>
>I thought the shoes might get a little bored if I wore them only
>with the suit so I also got this in coral too:
>http://tinyurl.com/2deh6

Very elegant. And another good price, which is always nice.

>I would have got the black one too, but I have 3 similar dresses
>to the black one already. Doesn't mean I won't get it when it
>goes on clearance. :-)

:)

>I was planning to pick up some springy separates, twin set type
>items for more wardrobe versatility anyway, I just got less of
>them. And yes the ones I got, were pink.

You're going to have to change your usenet surname to Sunset
or Dawn at this rate!

>I have to turn in my Blackette club membership card now. I don't
> think Lilly has a plus size line so I think I'm safe from
>becoming a Lillyette.Not that some of the Lilly clothes aren't
>cute, because they are.
>
>Any remaining Blackettes are probably thinking about an
>intervention or else "If Veronica has gone pink for spring on us
>we might as well too." :-)

Spreading the good word. I love pink.

>And Maud, thank you. I really do mean that.

You're entirely welcome, it's been a pleasure playing with
your wardrobe, thank you. :)

Dr. Sooz

Feb 9, 2004, 4:57:07 PM2/9/04

>I don't know how the quality is on it though. The quality has
>been ok on my other JC penney purchases though and I have
>received compliments on various things. Not that I trust the
>compliments.
>
>Sigh, it's just not the sort of suit aimed at people of my
>socioeconomic status. Maybe I'm being a reverse snob there and
>I'm sorry for that. I guess I don't feel that I deserve it. To
>me that's the sort of suit AFers like Trilby and Poetic Badgers
>would wear to their brunches. No offense intended to either one
>of them if they wouldn't wear a suit like that.
>
>Thats a suit for a true "lady".and that isn't me.
>
>Sigh. But I want it anyway. There I go again.
>
>Veronica

Veronica, I'm stunned. I have always thought of you as the sort of lady that
suit needs. Truly. I've seen you dressed in your sweater sets, and it's very
you (that suit). Maybe you just need to go out to divine lunches more often,
dolling.

Veronica Moonlit

Feb 9, 2004, 11:19:26 PM2/9/04
maud silver wrote:

>>>The bag and shoes will sort themselves out. They always do.
>>
>>They had this nice looking t-strap in a coordinating color from
>>Bisou bisou called Faye: http://tinyurl.com/3ef8c
>

> That's pretty. And I really like the suggestion that came up
> as "you might also like" as well. Seems to be called
> "Ownership" which is a bit odd!

The name is a bit odd. I liked the Ownership in black but not so
much the pink ones, which are more of a dusky pink. It is a
pretty shoe, not on sale, and "Faye" was.

>>And there was this sophisticated little clutch called Miranda:
>>http://tinyurl.com/3dz5d
>

> Now I like that a lot, and very reasonably priced.

I thought it would make a good suit bag, unless I can find one
better.

>>Plus a silk scarf that was interesting: http://tinyurl.com/yupbh
>>It was out of stock though.
>

> Nice scarf, though I wouldn't (personal choice here) wear a
> scarf with that suit. I think part of the appeal is the
> lovely tailored lines of the front, and the shaping of the
> lapels -- and anything that detracts seems a bit of a shame.
> Plus, you're starting to get a _lot_ of items to coordinate
> the colours of, unless you go for all cream or ivory
> accessories, so that differences in shade are less obvious?

I actually agree, I'm thinking of more wearing it on the head. It
just was interesting.

>>>Double perfect. Don't forget to stop for a coffee when you
>>>have those bags ready for propping against your chair legs.
>>
>>Yes that would be nice. I've been promising myself a visit to
>>Sephora and MAC for ages now.would make a nice present to myself.
>>I should have went last year. I would most certainly be over
>>dressed but an AFers first visit to a Sephora and MAC is a
>>special occasion deserving of a special outfit. The closest ones
>

> :) nice point!
>

>>are in Oak Brook Centre in Oak Brook in the Chicago Burbs. Are
>>there any nice places to sit and have a spot of tea?
>

> I'm sure a local will be along with advice soon!

I hope so Who are the Chicago area AFers? I know of Trilby and
Fig, of course. But I think they are from the city itself and not
the burbs.

>>>Well, I hope I've done a better job this time! ;)
>>
>>Why yes you did, enabler. :-) You see last year when Legally
>

> Hurrah!
>

>>Blonde 2 came out I so wanted a pink suit to wear when I saw it.
>>And then last week, I was going to a meeting and the lippie I had
>>put on looked a little bright springy pink for what I was wearing
>>and I thought, this lippie would be great with some spring type
>>pink suit or something.
>

> The inner pink you is obviously clamouring for attention.
> Time to listen. :)

I've said myself, if something (item of fashion) speaks to you it
might be for a reason.

>>I was staying up with a sick family member and started up a bag
>>on the website. And put it away for a couple of hours. then
>>reading the post I'm replying to, made up my mind.
>>
>>I thought the shoes might get a little bored if I wore them only
>>with the suit so I also got this in coral too:
>>http://tinyurl.com/2deh6
>>

> Very elegant. And another good price, which is always nice.

I get compliments on the similar black ones all the time.

>>I would have got the black one too, but I have 3 similar dresses
>>to the black one already. Doesn't mean I won't get it when it
>>goes on clearance. :-)
>

> :)
>

>>I was planning to pick up some springy separates, twin set type
>>items for more wardrobe versatility anyway, I just got less of
>>them. And yes the ones I got, were pink.
>

> You're going to have to change your usenet surname to Sunset
> or Dawn at this rate!

Ha ha. Very cute But I don't think so. I don't want to go through
the hassle of changing everything again. The transition from
WebTV cost me some contacts.

Besides I still like the Moon. There's something magical about
Moonlight.

>>Any remaining Blackettes are probably thinking about an
>>intervention or else "If Veronica has gone pink for spring on us
>>we might as well too." :-)
>

> Spreading the good word. I love pink.

Me too. :-)

>>And Maud, thank you. I really do mean that.
>

> You're entirely welcome, it's been a pleasure playing with
> your wardrobe, thank you. :)

I am honestly very welcome for your advice.

Veronica (Ne!, Improved! All new Pink loving version!)

Veronica Moonlit

Feb 10, 2004, 12:43:01 AM2/10/04
Dr. Sooz wrote:

>>I don't know how the quality is on it though. The quality has
>>been ok on my other JC penney purchases though and I have
>>received compliments on various things. Not that I trust the
>>compliments.
>>
>>Sigh, it's just not the sort of suit aimed at people of my
>>socioeconomic status. Maybe I'm being a reverse snob there and
>>I'm sorry for that. I guess I don't feel that I deserve it. To
>>me that's the sort of suit AFers like Trilby and Poetic Badgers
>>would wear to their brunches. No offense intended to either one
>>of them if they wouldn't wear a suit like that.
>>
>>Thats a suit for a true "lady".and that isn't me.
>>
>>Sigh. But I want it anyway. There I go again.
>>
>>Veronica
>

> Veronica, I'm stunned. I have always thought of you as the sort of lady that
> suit needs. Truly. I've seen you dressed in your sweater sets, and it's very
> you (that suit). Maybe you just need to go out to divine lunches more often,
> dolling.

Gee, I'm glad I bought it then. :-)I hope the suit is me, won't
know till it arrives. Fingers crossed.

cycjec

Feb 10, 2004, 11:03:46 PM2/10/04
Jjjjjulie <jjjj...@aol.comehither> wrote:
> The thread on wedding attire lead me to think that we all probably need
> something in our wardrobes--
> and I don't mean another pair of black shoes. ;-)

Actually I might.

> What do you need?

I just discovered I _don't_ need a nice navy sweater jacket since
I found one wrapped in another garment.

I _don't_ need the black oxfords that dig just a bit into
the back of my heels. The salt and ice water a week ago
reminded me why they had been forgotton. I'll have to
think about a replacement.

I do need some polypropelene tops to put under cotton
sweaters. Urban sub-hypothermia is no fun.

I could think of lots of other stuff, no doubt more interesting
than most of the above.

Poetic Badgers

Feb 16, 2004, 5:39:21 PM2/16/04
jmgar...@aol.comply (Jrgboj M. Gpkgbdfike Jr.) wrote on 20 Jan 2004:

> Having said that, I think I need more cufflinks. I only have 2 sets in
> active rotation (cloisonne signet, monogrammed) and 3 sets that mostly
> do black-tie duty.

DF said just about the same thing about wanting more/different cufflinks
before the Holidays, so I obliged. :)