I can walk with jezus...

Anthony Myers

Jan 9, 2003, 2:10:51 AM1/9/03
Real Conversation:

A little kid just comes back from the bathroom at a Perkins restaurant:

Dad: Did you go potty?
Kid: Yeah
Dad: Did you wash your hands?
Kid: Yeah
Dad: Do you love Jesus?
Kid: Yeah.

.... I don't know if he always asked the kid that, or if he thought
something might have happened in the toilet that would turn the kid against
the Lord.

Strabbo

Jan 9, 2003, 9:17:39 AM1/9/03
"Anthony Myers" <tonym...@earthlink.net> wrote in

That's okay, I do the same thing with my kids, only I substitute "the
Beatles" for "Jesus". Gotta keep them away from bad influences, y'know.

BTW, my daughter's best friend likes nothing but rap. So I asked her
(she's 5) what she thought of rap, and she told me that the voices just
sound "weird", and she likes the "cool" songs, but not most of them.

She made up her mind by herself. I'm so proud! :-)

Marty

Anthony Myers

Jan 10, 2003, 1:45:35 AM1/10/03
That's okay, I do the same thing with my kids, only I substitute "the
Beatles">>

I can't listen to the Beatles anymore. The music just reminds me of too many
people and things that aren't around anymore.

I bought George's album and Paul's live thing, but haven't felt like
listening. I think I just bought them to keep my collection complete.

johnny dupe

Jan 10, 2003, 2:16:37 AM1/10/03

"Anthony Myers" <tonym...@earthlink.net> wrote

> I can't listen to the Beatles anymore. The music just reminds me of too
many
> people and things that aren't around anymore.

I can totally relate.

During Christmas, I had a sorta emotional meltdown, and the soundtrack to
all that was Rolling Stones "40 Licks". I can't listen to "Wild Horses" any
more because it was in my car stereo and I listened to it on my way to the
liquor store to buy my first taste of alcohol since August.

Bad memories can destroy good music. There is no question about that. It's a
shame, Tony, that the Beatles' music conjures bad memories for you. I hope
that passes with time.

-John

johnny dupe

Jan 10, 2003, 4:42:06 PM1/10/03

"nowhere man" <nom...@mail.com> wrote

> I'm just back from the store and have my three bottles of white wine
> sitting here, ready for later, John. I hate the taste of the stuff, but
it
> takes me away from this existence for a little while.

Oh how I know the feeling. Having a few belts was great escapism.

> Is 40 Licks there new greatest hits? I am not that familar with their
> albums. Sorry to hear that it brings back a bad memory.

Think of it as a Rolling Stones version of the Beatles "1"- only it has two
CD's and doesn't necessarily have their greatest hits as much as a good
sampling of every era of their musical career.

Plus they're all remastered, and some of the songs sound so fresh. It has
Ruby Tuesday and She's A Rainbow, which represented their psychedelic era,
as well as the real old ones like "Satisfaction", and it jumps around to
Jumping Jack Flash and alot of their 80's and 90's output. Fantastic set!
It's a great introduction to what the Stones were all about.

> There are tracks that bring back memories for me.......usually of first
> dances and old girlfriends. Lionel Ritchie had a number one hit here with
> 'Hello' in 1984. That was always OUR song (me and le girlfriend of the
> time). Billy Joel's 'Innocent Man' brings back memories of a time and
> place in my life.
>
> I have quite a few tracks that bring back memories, some good, but all of
> them emotionally charged.

topjimmy

Jan 10, 2003, 7:30:24 PM1/10/03

"nowhere man" <nom...@mail.com> wrote in message
> "topjimmy" <mtombs-...@shadowrealms.com> wrote in
>

> > I can't listen to Sting's "Set them free" song without wanting to
> > strangle him or, at the very least, spit on his face. I had an ex
> > girlfriend actually claim that Sting was "talking to her in a way"
> > telling her that she must be "set free". This occuring after a 4 year
> > relationship of course. We were engaged too.
>
> sorry to hear about that break-up, Mike.

Thanks. It was rough for awhile but I got over it. I'm a better man now
because of it anyway.

> Although I do like some of his tracks (fields of barley, englishman in
> new york) Sting can be hard to stomach at the best of times. Such an
> ego.

I like his work with The Police and I do like *some* of his solo work but he
does have an ego.

> It's a tragedy when you invest so much time and emotion in a long
> relationship, only for that type of thing to happen.
>
> I've been there too. It is heartbreaking.
>
> I don't know how anyone can be rationale and stay friends with the
> person. It was beyond me. Many woman are odd in that they can so
> quickly move on and can change the relationship mode to 'let's be
> friends'. That was never my scene. My heart rules my head and
> mouth......unfortunately.

Me too. I hate the "lets be friends" thing. Never works. Best to move on to
greener pastures.

> > I told her that she was
> > lucky that I didnt take music that I listened to to heart. Motley
> > Crue's "Knock Em Dead Kid" was in my cassette player at the time.
>
> lol

Ehtue

Jan 11, 2003, 2:32:37 AM1/11/03
nowhere man <nom...@mail.com> writes:

> I'm just back from the store and have my three bottles of white wine
> sitting here, ready for later, John. I hate the taste of the stuff,
> but it takes me away from this existence for a little while.

Yeah, 3 bottles of wine ought to do it!

Strabbo

Jan 13, 2003, 1:51:50 PM1/13/03
nowhere man <nom...@mail.com> wrote in news:Xns92FFC7C649229nowhereman@
130.133.1.4:

> Although I do like some of his tracks (fields of barley, englishman in
> new york) Sting can be hard to stomach at the best of times. Such an
> ego.

Hey, if you could have an hour-long orgasm, wouldn't you have an ego
too? ;-)

Seriously, I'm a Sting fan myself... I think he's gotten lazy at times,
and I'm much more opt to putting 'Ten Summoner's Tales' on the player
than his latest, but I like a lot of the directions he's tried to push
himself, musically.

And the guy lives in a castle. How cool is that?

> It's a tragedy when you invest so much time and emotion in a long
> relationship, only for that type of thing to happen.
>
> I've been there too. It is heartbreaking.

Ditto. And ditto.

> I don't know how anyone can be rationale and stay friends with the
> person. It was beyond me. Many woman are odd in that they can so
> quickly move on and can change the relationship mode to 'let's be
> friends'. That was never my scene. My heart rules my head and
> mouth......unfortunately.

It can be done, but it takes a certain "kind" of compatibility, one that
I've never experienced. I could be wrong of course, but I'd suspect that
the more emotional and heart-driven a person is (as opposed to head-
driven), the less likely such a transition could take place.

And Will, get rid of that word, "unfortunately". It's far better for
your spirit to listen to your heart. Your head (not yours specifically,
but everyone's) can't be trusted to lead you to happiness.

Marty

Strabbo

Jan 13, 2003, 1:54:59 PM1/13/03

> "johnny dupe" <du...@noreply.com> wrote in

>> During Christmas, I had a sorta emotional meltdown, and the
>> soundtrack to all that was Rolling Stones "40 Licks". I can't listen
>> to "Wild Horses" any more because it was in my car stereo and I
>> listened to it on my way to the liquor store to buy my first taste of
>> alcohol since August.
>>
>> Bad memories can destroy good music. There is no question about that.
>> It's a shame, Tony, that the Beatles' music conjures bad memories for
>> you. I hope that passes with time.
>

> I'm just back from the store and have my three bottles of white wine
> sitting here, ready for later, John. I hate the taste of the stuff,
> but it takes me away from this existence for a little while.
>

> Is 40 Licks there new greatest hits? I am not that familar with their
> albums. Sorry to hear that it brings back a bad memory.
>

> There are tracks that bring back memories for me.......usually of
> first dances and old girlfriends. Lionel Ritchie had a number one hit
> here with 'Hello' in 1984. That was always OUR song (me and le
> girlfriend of the time). Billy Joel's 'Innocent Man' brings back
> memories of a time and place in my life.

I've got a few of those. Most anything by Queen, especially "Bohemian
Rhapsody" is an absolute nada for me. Thanks to the same bit-uhh---
person, just about everything off Fleetwood Mac's green-covered greatest
hits album is out too. Though after having become acquainted with their
Peter Green era, I think some common sense plays into that too.

Marty

Ehtue

Jan 14, 2003, 1:20:18 AM1/14/03

> And Will, get rid of that word, "unfortunately". It's far better for
> your spirit to listen to your heart. Your head (not yours specifically,
> but everyone's) can't be trusted to lead you to happiness.

Not taking it along for the journey can get you in a hell of a lot of
trouble.

Strabbo

Jan 14, 2003, 9:18:18 AM1/14/03
Ehtue <eh...@aa.com> wrote in news:C_NU9.674508$%m4.3388749
@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net:

Nothing wrong with hearing the head's input. But, like the input of
another particular organ that likes to lead the way sometimes, one must
take its input with a grain (or perhaps an entire shaker) of salt.

Marty