Schlock Value

Dale Kirby

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
At 10:54 AM 3/18/96, dawnmarie wrote:
>Out of curiousity - how do you guys do it? i wander off for a while,
>and when i come back i find all sorts of references that make me think
>of the novel i am presently reading.... whose name just escaped me....
>Gibson, William.... ah! _Neuromancer_. Sure, you might be talking
>about AI and Turing tests anyway, but i'll interpret this as a sign to
>spend more time with all y'all loverly people.....
> -dm-

Good interpretation dm. Actually you are our central processing unit and
we just run little subroutines off of whatever you're occupying your mind
with. You read Gibson, we drink gin, that kind of thing.

So if Tom Robbins wrote Neuromancer how would it read?

Gibson: "The sky above the port was the color of television tuned to a dead
channel."

Channeled Robbins: The television is the most unselfish of lovers. It
transmits not disease but ease, not intellectual challenge, but soothing
conformist propaganda. TV is not like the electronic weenie they call the
vibrator, which recalls with its amorous hum the beach blanket bimbos of
Beach Boy songs, the hum of surf, the hum of wannabee cosmic
sensationalists on a bad Hari day, the hum of slow waves on a day the
surfers sleep in, the hum of two lips pressed just THERE! No, television
doesn't demand attention, intention or pretention, you just lie back and
enjoy it. That's why the television, not the vibrator, is the official
electrical device of this novel, this novel called Neurodancer

Dale

Janet Craig

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
Dale channeled:

>So if Tom Robbins wrote Neuromancer how would it read?
>
>Gibson: "The sky above the port was the color of television tuned to a dead
>channel."
>
>Channeled Robbins: The television is the most unselfish of lovers. It
>transmits not disease but ease, not intellectual challenge, but soothing
>conformist propaganda. TV is not like the electronic weenie they call the
>vibrator, which recalls with its amorous hum the beach blanket bimbos of
>Beach Boy songs, the hum of surf, the hum of wannabee cosmic
>sensationalists on a bad Hari day, the hum of slow waves on a day the
>surfers sleep in, the hum of two lips pressed just THERE! No, television
>doesn't demand attention, intention or pretention, you just lie back and
>enjoy it. That's why the television, not the vibrator, is the official
>electrical device of this novel, this novel called Neurodancer
>
>Dale

Perfect schtick! I just had to applaud!

>>janet<<

Dale Kirby

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96

Hey, she likes my schtick! Does Jim know about this?

Dale

Dave Pearson

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
Dale Kirby <da...@RAIN.ORG> wrote:

> Gibson: "The sky above the port was the color of television tuned to a dead
> channel."
>
> Channeled Robbins: The television is the most unselfish of lovers. It
> transmits not disease but ease, not intellectual challenge, but soothing
> conformist propaganda. TV is not like the electronic weenie they call the
> vibrator, which recalls with its amorous hum the beach blanket bimbos of
> Beach Boy songs, the hum of surf, the hum of wannabee cosmic
> sensationalists on a bad Hari day, the hum of slow waves on a day the
> surfers sleep in, the hum of two lips pressed just THERE! No, television
> doesn't demand attention, intention or pretention, you just lie back and
> enjoy it. That's why the television, not the vibrator, is the official
> electrical device of this novel, this novel called Neurodancer

ROTFL.

That just fell into my fortune file, cheers.

--
Dave Pearson | w3ng - The WWW Norton Guide Reader.
da...@hagbard.demon.co.uk | ng2html - The NG To HTML Converter.

Janet Craig

Mar 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/19/96
In article <v01530500ad747458edb9@[198.68.144.177]>, da...@RAIN.ORG says...

>At 11:00 PM 3/18/96, Janet Craig wrote:
>>Dale channeled:
>>
>>>So if Tom Robbins wrote Neuromancer how would it read?
>>>
>>>Gibson: "The sky above the port was the color of television tuned to a dead
>>>channel."
>>>
>>>Channeled Robbins: The television is the most unselfish of lovers. It
>>>transmits not disease but ease, not intellectual challenge, but soothing
>>>conformist propaganda. TV is not like the electronic weenie they call the
>>>vibrator, which recalls with its amorous hum the beach blanket bimbos of
>>>Beach Boy songs, the hum of surf, the hum of wannabee cosmic
>>>sensationalists on a bad Hari day, the hum of slow waves on a day the
>>>surfers sleep in, the hum of two lips pressed just THERE! No, television
>>>doesn't demand attention, intention or pretention, you just lie back and
>>>enjoy it. That's why the television, not the vibrator, is the official
>>>electrical device of this novel, this novel called Neurodancer
>>>
>>>Dale
>>

>>Perfect schtick! I just had to applaud!

>Hey, she likes my schtick! Does Jim know about this?
>
>Dale

I saw what you did there...