Silmarillion Chapter of the Week discussions

Christopher Kreuzer

Sep 12, 2005, 6:34:53 PM9/12/05
This post is following up on a recent series of postings about the
proposals to carry on the Tolkien 'Chapter of the Week' discussions in
these newsgroups. These discussions started with /The Hobbit/ and /The
Lord of the Rings/ and the proposal is to carry on and discuss /The
Silmarillion/ in the same way, or a similar way.

Everyone should take a look at the current CotW page for TH and LotR, to
see how the (nearly finished) project was run and what the page looks
like:

http://parasha.maoltuile.org/

As far as I can tell, what needs doing for a Chapter of the Week project
on /The Silmarillion/ is:

0) RESOURCES: Finding webspace to host the project page. One person
(Larry Swain) has already offered webspace, so hopefully that will work
out. Remember that this would need to be available for at least a year
or two, and it would be nice if the page URL was around for longer than
that.

- Anyone have a nice stable URL to host the page at?

1) PROJECT PAGE: The initial page needs to be written and uploaded. I've
already posted a chapter list for /The Silmarillion/ which I will add in
a reply to this post. The page would also need a provisional start date
and a schedule with planned breaks at regular intervals. There should
also be a set of guidelines on this page, similar to what is already on
the maoltuile page, plus the names and contact e-mails of those running
the project (so people can sign up), and, finally, a link to, and
acknowledement of the original maoltuile page (and hopefully that page
would also link to this one).

- Anyone want to write this page?

2) VOLUNTEERS: Compile provisional list of people from older appeal
(April 2005), write to them and confirm whether they can still take
part. Also, anyone can volunteer now by saying so in a reply to this
post!

- I'll do this bit, post the list here, write to people, and pass the
results to the Faithful Page Attendant.

3) FAITHFUL PAGE ATTENDANT: Someone to (a) accept people signing up for
chapters; (b) update the list on the page by putting names of volunteers
next to the chapter they have volunteered for; (c) update the page with
links to the discussions; (d) either upload the new page or send it to
someone to upload for them.

- Anyone want to do this?

4) FAITHFUL PROJECT STEWARD: Someone to move things along: to remind
people that they are next up to do a discussion; to remind people if
they haven't posted their discussion; to organise someone else at the
last minute if needed; to appeal for more volunteers if an unassigned
chapter is coming up.

- Anyone want to do this?

Plus anything I've forgotten.

Still to be decided, confirmed or done:

- hosting webspace and page URL
- text of project page
- provisional start date
- scheduled breaks
- Faithful Page Attendant
- Faithful Project Steward
- initial group of volunteers
- assignment of first few chapters
- further appeals for volunteers

Christopher

--
---
Reply clue: Saruman welcomes you to Spamgard

Christopher Kreuzer

Sep 12, 2005, 7:41:37 PM9/12/05
Contents list and proposed schedule below. Scroll down.

Christopher Kreuzer <spam...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> This post is following up on a recent series of postings about the
> proposals to carry on the Tolkien 'Chapter of the Week' discussions in
> these newsgroups. These discussions started with /The Hobbit/ and /The
> Lord of the Rings/ and the proposal is to carry on and discuss /The
> Silmarillion/ in the same way, or a similar way.

http://parasha.maoltuile.org/

<snip>

> 1) PROJECT PAGE: The initial page needs to be written and uploaded.
> I've already posted a chapter list for /The Silmarillion/ which I
> will add in a reply to this post. The page would also need a
> provisional start date and a schedule with planned breaks at regular
> intervals. There should also be a set of guidelines on this page,
> similar to what is already on the maoltuile page, plus the names and
> contact e-mails of those running the project (so people can sign up),
> and, finally, a link to, and acknowledement of the original maoltuile
> page (and hopefully that page would also link to this one).

<snip>

> Still to be decided, confirmed or done:

<snip>

> - text of project page

Here is the contents list of /The Silmarillion/:

<START QUOTE>

- Foreword

- Ainulindalë

- Valaquenta

- Quenta Silmarillion

1) Of the Beginning of Days
2) Of Aulë and Yavanna
3) Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor
4) Of Thingol and Melian
5) Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië
6) Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor
7) Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor
8) Of the Darkening of Valinor
9) Of the Flight of the Noldor
10) Of the Sindar
11) Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor
12) Of Men
13) Of the Return of the Noldor
14) Of Beleriand and its Realms
15) Of the Noldor in Beleriand
16) Of Maeglin
17) Of the Coming of Men into the West
18) Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin
19) Of Beren and Lúthien
20) Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad
21) Of Túrin Turambar
22) Of the Ruin of Doriath
23) Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin
24) Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath

- Akallabêth

- Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

- Tables

Genealogies
I - The House of Finwë
II - The Descendents of Olwë and Elwë
III - The House of Bëor
IV and V - The House of Hador and the People of Haleth

The Sundering of the Elves

- Note on Pronunciation

- Index of Names

- Appendix: Elements in Quenya and Sindarin names

<END QUOTE>

> - provisional start date

Picking a random date from the air: 17 October 2005.
Please suggest earlier or later start dates if preferred.

> - scheduled breaks

Plus a proposal on how to schedule things, and what to discuss:

Should Christopher Tolkien's 'Foreward' be discussed? Should the
discussion then start with 'The Ainulindale'? Or should it start with
the first chapter of 'Quenta Silmarillion', with 'The Ainulindale' and
'Valaquenta' discussed later, or separately?

I'd say start with Ainulindale and do a week each. Even though some
chapters of Quenta Silmarillion are very long and some are very short,
the short ones will provide a natural sort of break. I would suggest
that four chapters are given two weeks of discussion, namely the two
longest chapters in Quenta Silmarillion ('Of Beren and Luthien' and 'Of
Turin Turambar') and the two long texts that follow Quenta Silmarillion
('Akallabeth' and 'Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age'). This
should also provide some natural breaks in the schedule. In other words,
the schedule will appear full, but the natural variation in content and
time allowed, will let people catch their breath every now and then.
Plus a real break every 6 weeks, or at natural break points; these also
allow catch-up time and fall-back time if someone is late by a week.

As for the last four bits (tables and pronunciation guides and other
stuff), they pair up logically as I suggest below, and the final
discussion can encompass anything and everything, and bring in
Christopher Tolkien's 'Foreward' as well (several versions apparently).

So the schedule would then be:

START

17/10/2005 - Ainulindalë
24/10/2005 - Valaquenta

- Quenta Silmarillion

31/10/2005 - 1) Of the Beginning of Days
07/11/2005 - 2) Of Aulë and Yavanna
14/11/2005 - 3) Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor
21/11/2005 - 4) Of Thingol and Melian

28/11/2005 - BREAK

05/12/2005 - 5) Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië
12/12/2005 - 6) Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor
19/12/2005 - 7) Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor
26/12/2005 - 8) Of the Darkening of Valinor

02/01/2006 - BREAK

09/01/2006 - 9) Of the Flight of the Noldor
16/01/2006 - 10) Of the Sindar
23/01/2006 - 11) Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor
30/01/2006 - 12) Of Men

06/02/2006 - BREAK

06/02/2006 - 13) Of the Return of the Noldor
13/02/2006 - 14) Of Beleriand and its Realms
20/02/2006 - 15) Of the Noldor in Beleriand
27/02/2006 - 16) Of Maeglin
06/03/2006 - 17) Of the Coming of Men into the West

13/03/2006 - BREAK

20/03/2006 - 18) Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin
27/03/2006 - 19) Of Beren and Lúthien
03/04/2006 - EXTRA WEEK'S DISCUSSION
10/04/2006 - 20) Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad

17/04/2006 - BREAK

24/04/2006 - 21) Of Túrin Turambar
01/05/2006 - EXTRA WEEK'S DISCUSSION
08/05/2006 - 22) Of the Ruin of Doriath
15/05/2006 - 23) Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin
22/05/2006 - 24) Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath

29/05/2006 - BREAK

05/06/2006 - Akallabêth
12/06/2006 - EXTRA WEEK'S DISCUSSION

19/06/2006 - Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age
26/06/2006 - EXTRA WEEK'S DISCUSSION

03/07/2006 - Tables (Genealogies; The Sundering of the Elves)
03/07/2006 - Index of Names
03/07/2006 - Map

[All above three in same week]

10/07/2006 - Note on Pronunciation
10/07/2006 - Appendix: Elements in Quenya and Sindarin names

[All above two in same week]

17/07/2006 - Foreword
17/07/2006 - Open Discussion on /The Silmarillion/

[All above two in same week]

END

This schedule would go from 17/10/2005 to 17/07/2006. Which is 41 weeks
(or just over 8 months), with 6 breaks built into the schedule. To
compare, the LotR discussions took over a year and a half!!

Does this proposed schedule seem reasonable?

Troels Forchhammer

Sep 13, 2005, 3:39:19 AM9/13/05
In message <news:RmoVe.107689$G8.9...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>
"Christopher Kreuzer" <spam...@blueyonder.co.uk> enriched us with:

> Contents list and proposed schedule below. Scroll down.

I've been more or less out cold for some months now in the CotW
project (and RABT/AFT, unfortunately), but I intend to return for the
Silmarillion, and will of course also volunteer to do some chapters.

<snip>

> Picking a random date from the air: 17 October 2005.
> Please suggest earlier or later start dates if preferred.

I'd love to do the Ainulindalė, and won't be able to do it before 17
October anyway, so that would fit me quite well.

>> - scheduled breaks
>
> Plus a proposal on how to schedule things, and what to discuss:

<snip>

> I'd say start with Ainulindale and do a week each.

I agree. Any discussion of the foreword is bound to turn to HoMe and
possibly become a very technical discussion, which is, IMO, best
taken either together with the individual chapters (some note on the
sources Christopher used would be a legitimate subject for the
introductions, I'd say) or in the end (though I suspect that there
will be some discussion of the whole 'Quenta Silmarillion' editing
during the discussion of 'Of the Ruin of Doriath').

> Even though some chapters of Quenta Silmarillion are very long and
> some are very short,

[...]

> these also allow catch-up time and fall-back time if someone is
> late by a week.

This all sounds excellent to my ears.

> 17/10/2005 - Ainulindalė

I am willing, if it is not already spoken for.

<snip schedule>

> Does this proposed schedule seem reasonable?

Very much, IMO.

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <t.forch(a)email.dk>

Taking fun
as simply fun
and earnestness
in earnest
shows how thouroughly
thou none
of the two
discernest.
- Piet Hein, /The Eternal Twins/

nand...@transact.bm

Sep 13, 2005, 5:38:24 AM9/13/05

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
> <snip>>
> - Quenta Silmarillion

<snip>

> 13) Of the Return of the Noldor
> 14) Of Beleriand and its Realms
> 15) Of the Noldor in Beleriand

<snip>

I would like to do the CHOW summaries for one or more of these
chapters, if possible.

Neil Anderson

Chris Kern

Sep 13, 2005, 7:22:18 AM9/13/05
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:39:19 GMT, Troels Forchhammer
<Tro...@ThisIsFake.invalid> posted the following:

>(some note on the
>sources Christopher used would be a legitimate subject for the
>introductions, I'd say)

Feel free to use this post of mine:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.books.tolkien/browse_frm/thread/3b28dd5aff2616dc/ffa864798a0022e3?lnk=st&q=construction+of+published+silmarillion&rnum=1&hl=en#ffa864798a0022e3

-Chris

Larry Swain

Sep 13, 2005, 1:25:28 PM9/13/05

Yes, I think this looks good.

Taemon

Sep 13, 2005, 2:49:28 PM9/13/05
Larry Swain wrote:

<snip>

Could you snip unecessary content, please? Thank you.

T.

Larry Swain

Sep 13, 2005, 5:06:09 PM9/13/05

In this case, since the full content of the previous message was in
question, there was little if any "unnecessary" content. I guess this
is a case of one's man's unnecessary is another's necessity....

RoRowe

Sep 13, 2005, 5:43:14 PM9/13/05
I'd like to be on the initial list of volunteers.

Thanks,
RoRowe

Taemon

Sep 13, 2005, 5:51:46 PM9/13/05
Larry Swain wrote:

> Taemon wrote:
>> Larry Swain wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Could you snip unecessary content, please? Thank you.

> In this case, since the full content of the previous message was in
> question, there was little if any "unnecessary" content. I guess
> this
> is a case of one's man's unnecessary is another's necessity....

Please. Thank you.

T.

R. Dan Henry

Sep 13, 2005, 7:34:49 PM9/13/05
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:34:53 GMT, "Christopher Kreuzer"
<spam...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>2) VOLUNTEERS: Compile provisional list of people from older appeal
>(April 2005), write to them and confirm whether they can still take
>part. Also, anyone can volunteer now by saying so in a reply to this
>post!

I'd like to do a chapter or two, but it'd have to be after November.
Looking at your provisional schedule, that doesn't seem too limiting.

--
R. Dan Henry
danh...@inreach.com

Huan the hound

Sep 13, 2005, 8:32:35 PM9/13/05
May I volunteer for a chapter now or wait until there's a web site and
manager?
Message has been deleted

Troels Forchhammer

Sep 17, 2005, 3:09:31 PM9/17/05
In message <news:2iddi1tehre7glerh...@4ax.com>
Chris Kern <chris...@gmail.com> enriched us with:

> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:39:19 GMT, Troels Forchhammer
> <Tro...@ThisIsFake.invalid> posted the following:
>>
>> (some note on the sources Christopher used would be a legitimate
>> subject for the introductions, I'd say)
>
> Feel free to use this post of mine:

<google.com/groups?threadm=v4khu058lrd53iqu3...@4ax.com>

Right, I'd forgot about that.

I don't know how far we ought to go in our discussions of /The
Silmarillion/ -- I would like to see (where possible) a discussion also
of the history of the text, but in any case this is certainly an
excellent resource to use.

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <t.forch(a)email.dk>

Knowing what
thou knowest not
is in a sense
omniscience
- Piet Hein, /Omniscience/

AC

Sep 21, 2005, 12:12:25 PM9/21/05

I'd like to do something too, but my books are in storage and I probably
won't be able to do anything until December or thereabouts.

--
Aaron Clausen
mightym...@hotmail.com

Troels Forchhammer

Oct 9, 2005, 8:12:41 AM10/9/05
In message <news:Xns96D06184...@131.228.6.99>
Troels Forchhammer <Tro...@ThisIsFake.invalid> enriched us with:

> In message <news:RmoVe.107689$G8.9...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>
> "Christopher Kreuzer" <spam...@blueyonder.co.uk> enriched us
> with:

<snip>

>> 17/10/2005 - Ainulindalė
>
> I am willing, if it is not already spoken for.

What, if anything, is the status of this now?

I have been working on the Ainulindalė, but will admit that an extra
week wouldn't hurt ...

So, since I don't recall any conclusion coming out of this or the
other thread, I thought I'd ask -- are we ready at all to start the
Silmarillion CotW, and is somebody going to follow up on the twenty-
fourth if I post on the seventeenth?

(Unless I hear something, I shall assume that it is okay to wait
until the twenty-fourth and then post a summary for the Ainulindalė
on that date.)

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <t.forch(a)email.dk>

<http://chat.carleton.ca/~tcstewar/grooks/grook - t. t. t..gif>

Put up in a place
where it's easy to see
the cryptic admonishment
T. T. T.

When you feel how depressingly
slowly you climb,
it's well to remember that
Things Take Time.
- Piet Hein, /T.T.T./

Larry Swain

Oct 9, 2005, 2:12:34 PM10/9/05
Troels Forchhammer wrote:
> In message <news:Xns96D06184...@131.228.6.99>
> Troels Forchhammer <Tro...@ThisIsFake.invalid> enriched us with:
>
>>In message <news:RmoVe.107689$G8.9...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>
>>"Christopher Kreuzer" <spam...@blueyonder.co.uk> enriched us
>>with:
>>

> <snip>
>

>>>17/10/2005 - Ainulindalė
>>
>>I am willing, if it is not already spoken for.
>

> What, if anything, is the status of this now?
>
> I have been working on the Ainulindalė, but will admit that an extra
> week wouldn't hurt ...
>
> So, since I don't recall any conclusion coming out of this or the
> other thread, I thought I'd ask -- are we ready at all to start the
> Silmarillion CotW, and is somebody going to follow up on the twenty-
> fourth if I post on the seventeenth?
>
> (Unless I hear something, I shall assume that it is okay to wait
> until the twenty-fourth and then post a summary for the Ainulindalė
> on that date.)

Good job Troels. Ok, here's what I propose in the spirit of many hands
making quick work. I'll go ahead and do the web page. I'll put
together the page with dates and people who have signed up. But I'll
need someone to a) ride herd on who has posted what when and b) to shoot
me th eoccastional reminder to update things. I usually do, but
sometimes forget. So Christopher ir either you or you Troels can take
on the job of reminding Larry, I'll do the rest.

In the meantime, below is a list of contents of the Silm. Sign up. Did
we agree to do one a week or one every 2 weeks? I think 2 weeks might
be best. In the meantime, here's the list:

Foreward-Preface (optional)
Ainulindale--Troels
Valaquenta

Quenta Silmarillion (24 parts, I arbitrarily divided them into units,
usually covering between 10-15 pages, some are longer).
I-III (Beginning of Days, Of Aule and Yavanna, Coming of the Elves and
Captivity of Melkor)
IV-VI (Thingol and Melian, Eldarmar and the Princes of the Eldalie,
Feanor and the Unchaining of Melkor)
VII-VIII (Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor, Darkening of
Valinor)
IX-X (Flight of the Noldor, Of the Sindar)
Xi-Xii ( Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor,Of Men)
Xiii Of the Return of the Noldor
XIV-XV Of Beleriand and its Realms, Of the Noldor in Beleriand)
XVI-XVII (Of Maeglin, Coming of Men into the West)
XVIII (Of the RUin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin)
XIX-(Of Beren and Luthien)
XX-Of the Fifth Battle:Nirnaeth Arnoediad)
XXi--(Of Turin Turambar) [VERY LONG-we could extend this discussion, or
cut it up into smaller sections too.]
XXii-XXiii (Of the Ruin of Doriath and Of the Fall of Gondolin)
XXiv (Of the Voyage of Earendil and the War of Wrath)

Akallabeth-

Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

Tables

i-ii--House of Finwe, Descendants of Olwe and Elwe
iii-v ouse of Beor, House of Hador, People of Haleth

Sundering of the Elves

Note on Pronunciation, Index of Names, Elements in Quenya and Sindarin names

Map.

Any commments or questions welcome, otherwise, start signing up!

Troels Forchhammer

Oct 9, 2005, 5:26:24 PM10/9/05
In message <news:xaadnWL7XYI...@rcn.net>
Larry Swain <thes...@operamail.com> enriched us with:

> Troels Forchhammer wrote:

<snip>

>> (Unless I hear something, I shall assume that it is okay to wait
>> until the twenty-fourth and then post a summary for the

>> Ainulindalë on that date.)

> Good job Troels. Ok, here's what I propose in the spirit of many
> hands making quick work. I'll go ahead and do the web page.

Brilliant!

Put me down for the Ainulindalë on the 24th, then, please

<snip>

> So Christopher ir either you or you Troels can take on the job of
> reminding Larry, I'll do the rest.

I'll help, certainly (I hope the email is correct), but Christopher
being so much more organised than me, it's probably best to have him
along as well ;-)

> In the meantime, below is a list of contents of the Silm.

Christopher also put up a list higher up in the thread, including a
provisional schedule.
<RmoVe.107689$G8.9...@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.tolkien/msg/6d9aac136d4ccf3d>

If you adopt that schedule, then please push things one week from the
beginning ;-)

> Any commments or questions welcome, otherwise, start signing up!

Neil Anderson wanted one or both of
--- 13) Of the Return of the Noldor
--- 14) Of Beleriand and its Realms 15) Of the Noldor in Beleriand
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.tolkien/msg/bc0521d68c8d59aa>

Neil is the only one except myself that I can find who named specific
chapters, but there were some others who wanted to volunteer:

Huan the hound wanted to volunteer earlier
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.tolkien/msg/b585b56fba0e2831>

As did RoRowe
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.tolkien/msg/44474c6543ab3623>

R. Dan Henry wanted 'a chapter or two', but 'after November.'
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.tolkien/msg/6af777c074a9aa0>

And AC ('won't be able to do anything until December or thereabouts.')
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.tolkien/msg/6e197de9df30a257>

When I look over this, I think we need to discuss the timing -- how
many will be able to participate, and do the introductions, before
December?

Will it make more sense to start out such that e.g. the first break (in
Christopher's schedule) fits either 26 December or 2 January (this
would mean that I should post about the Ainulindalë on 14 November or
21 November)?

There were a number of people who didn't speak up, so we might be
perfectly safe, starting out on 24 October (or, if somebody would want
to make an introduction for the Foreword for the 17th), but we need to
know.

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <t.forch(a)email.dk>

To make a name for learning
when other roads are barred,
take something very easy
and make it very hard.
- Piet Hein, /Wide Road/

Troels Forchhammer

Oct 9, 2005, 5:40:19 PM10/9/05
In message <news:Xns96EAEE72...@130.133.1.4> Troels

Forchhammer <Tro...@ThisIsFake.invalid> enriched us with:

> Neil Anderson wanted one or both of
> --- 13) Of the Return of the Noldor
> --- 14) Of Beleriand and its Realms 15) Of the Noldor in Beleriand

Sorry, he also included 15) 'Of the Noldor in Beleriand' in his list

--
Troels Forchhammer
Valid e-mail is <t.forch(a)email.dk>

Smile
a while
ere day
is done
and all
your gall
will soon
be gone.
- Piet Hein, /Advice at Nightfall/

Christopher Kreuzer

Oct 9, 2005, 8:38:38 PM10/9/05
Troels Forchhammer <Tro...@ThisIsFake.invalid> wrote:

> What, if anything, is the status of this now?

It seemed to be in limbo because I hadn't found time to work on it, but
I was gathering a few things together behind the scenes. Unfortunately I
forgot to keep people informed. I'll have time to do some more
organisation tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have some more news by then.

Please do keep preparing something for the Ainulindale!

The important thing is to do what Larry has already done and encourage
people to sign up for the chapters. The webpage would be nice, but that
can be sorted a little bit later. The important thing is to get people
signed up for the first few chapters, and then keep things rolling.

So I'm off to sign up for a chapter! And everyone else who wants to
volunteer for a chapter should do the same, while remembering that the
dates are not fixed in stone yet and are very likely to change...

Christopher Kreuzer

Oct 9, 2005, 8:41:34 PM10/9/05
Larry Swain <thes...@operamail.com> wrote:

> In the meantime, below is a list of contents of the Silm. Sign up.

> I - Of the Beginning of Days

I'd like to start this discussion, please.

Larry Swain

Oct 10, 2005, 2:46:33 PM10/10/05

I don't really care which list we use: Christopher's original is
probably better. What we need is for people to sign up.

Dates are tentative at the moment, and I've only listed through 23 May,
figuring we'll see how far we get and add dates when we get some under
our belt. So folks sign up!

- Foreword 24 Oct ? (Should this be done? My thought is that CT's
words ought to be discussed too)

- Ainulindalë---Troels 31 October

- Valaquenta 14 November

- Quenta Silmarillion

1) Of the Beginning of Days Christopher K. 28 Nov.
2) Of Aulë and Yavanna 12 Dec.

CHRISTMAS BREAK

3) Of the Coming of the Elves and the Captivity of Melkor 2 Jan 2006
4) Of Thingol and Melian 16 Jan
5) Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië 30 Jan
6) Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor 13 Feb
7) Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor 27 Feb
8) Of the Darkening of Valinor 13 March
9) Of the Flight of the Noldor 27 March
10) Of the Sindar 10 April
11) Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor 24 April
12) Of Men 9 May
13) Of the Return of the Noldor Neil A. 23 May

14) Of Beleriand and its Realms Neil A.
15) Of the Noldor in Beleriand Neil A.

16) Of Maeglin
17) Of the Coming of Men into the West
18) Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin
19) Of Beren and Lúthien
20) Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad
21) Of Túrin Turambar
22) Of the Ruin of Doriath
23) Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin

24) Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath Larry S.

- Akallabêth Larry S.

Yuk Tang

Oct 10, 2005, 5:30:51 PM10/10/05
Larry Swain <thes...@operamail.com> wrote in

> In the meantime, below is a list of contents of the Silm. Sign
> up. Did we agree to do one a week or one every 2 weeks? I think
> 2 weeks might be best. In the meantime, here's the list:
>
> Foreward-Preface (optional)
> Ainulindale--Troels
> Valaquenta
>
> Quenta Silmarillion (24 parts, I arbitrarily divided them into
> units, usually covering between 10-15 pages, some are longer).
> I-III (Beginning of Days, Of Aule and Yavanna, Coming of the Elves
> and Captivity of Melkor)
> IV-VI (Thingol and Melian, Eldarmar and the Princes of the
> Eldalie, Feanor and the Unchaining of Melkor)
> VII-VIII (Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor, Darkening
> of Valinor)
> IX-X (Flight of the Noldor, Of the Sindar)
> Xi-Xii ( Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor,Of Men)
> Xiii Of the Return of the Noldor
> XIV-XV Of Beleriand and its Realms, Of the Noldor in Beleriand)
> XVI-XVII (Of Maeglin, Coming of Men into the West)
> XVIII (Of the RUin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin)
> XIX-(Of Beren and Luthien)
> XX-Of the Fifth Battle:Nirnaeth Arnoediad)

Bagsies the Nirnaeth.

--
Cheers, ymt.

Huan the hound

Oct 12, 2005, 9:34:36 PM10/12/05
On 2005-10-09, Troels Forchhammer <Tro...@ThisIsFake.invalid> wrote in
<Xns96EAEE72...@130.133.1.4>:

> Huan the hound wanted to volunteer earlier
><http://groups.google.com/group/alt.fan.tolkien/msg/b585b56fba0e2831>

Thanks for remembering. I don't care too much what chapter I cover. The
one about Maeglin, or (naturally) Beren and Luthien are my favorites, but
I suspect those are popular with many people, so I don't need to take one
of them. Whatever is left over, maybe. :-)

--
Huan, the hound of Valinor

Christopher Kreuzer

Oct 16, 2005, 8:34:50 AM10/16/05
An update on the 'Silmarillion Chapter of the Week' discussions.

I am working on updating the webpage and should have it ready today. I
am using the schedule I suggested in Troels's link below, but starting
on the 24th October instead of the 17th October (tomorrow) as per
Troels's request and also to allow time for more people to volunteer to
start the discussions.

I am also staying with a week per chapter, as the project says, rather
than the suggestion of one every two weeks (though the longer chapters
or sections are given two weeks of discussion time).

We have volunteers for the Foreward (well, that's me tomorrow on the
17th...) and for the Ainulindale (Troels, next week on the 24th) and for
"Of the Beginning of Days" (two weeks after that in November sometime),
but we do need someone to volunteer to start the discussion on "The
Valaquenta". In fact, the discussion of the Ainulindale might need a
full two weeks, with the Valaquenta being added to the discussion in the
second week.

And I'll try to remember all the other volunteers for the future
chapters. If you have volunteered and aren't mentioned elsewhere in this
thread, then please post a reminder!

Christopher