12 days of Christmas (Galadriel gave to me)

Scott Marquardt

Dec 24, 2003, 9:59:48 PM12/24/03
No, nothing much here. The kids and I were tearing our hair out trying to
come up with something, though. Problem is, there's either a paucity of
natural falling-into-numbers or too many things competing for just one
number. And the ring thing is terrible -- wish the original hadn't included
5 gold rings.

Anyway, it all started when the kiddo came up with:

1. A fell beast in a dead tree

After that we tried stuff, but weren't too pleased. And it was all over the
map.

We figured Balrogs flamin' have to be in there somewhere, but we're not
sure how many.

We were pretty sure that "seven" should go with "elven," thus:

7. Seven elven archers

Here's the balance of our thoughts on the matter:

2. Two wizards fightin'
3. Three somethin' somethin'...
4. Four brave hobbits
5. Five golden hairs
6.

blah.

We lost momentum.

Help! Help help! Please help us finish this!

- Scott

kitznegari thinks it has wings

Dec 24, 2003, 10:26:34 PM12/24/03
>1. A fell beast in a dead tree

"and a dark lord who wants his jewlrey" sounds kewl too.

>2. Two wizards fightin'

begging your pardon, but in my version that would be "wings on balrogs"

3. elf rings sparkling

>4. Four brave hobbits
>5. Five golden hairs

i like "five palantirs" better.
or "five oliphaunts", hehe.

6. teeth of gollum
7. bites of waybread
8. legs on shelob
9. ringwraiths chasing
10. selfish humans
11. miles to mordor
12. thousand orcs

:)

- k i t z -
what does an evil lord have to do around here to get
freakin' fell beasts with laser beams on their heads?!
http://spinning_plates.tripod.com

Jon Meltzer

Dec 25, 2003, 1:19:57 AM12/25/03

"Scott Marquardt" <wasREM...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> No, nothing much here. The kids and I were tearing our hair out trying to
> come up with something, though. Problem is, there's either a paucity of
> natural falling-into-numbers or too many things competing for just one
> number. And the ring thing is terrible -- wish the original hadn't
included
> 5 gold rings.
>
> Anyway, it all started when the kiddo came up with:
>
> 1. A fell beast in a dead tree
>
> After that we tried stuff, but weren't too pleased. And it was all over
the
> map.
>
> We figured Balrogs flamin' have to be in there somewhere, but we're not
> sure how many.
>
> We were pretty sure that "seven" should go with "elven," thus:
>
> 7. Seven elven archers
>
> Here's the balance of our thoughts on the matter:
>
> 2. Two wizards fightin'
> 3. Three somethin' somethin'...

Three Rings of Power?

Scott Marquardt

Dec 25, 2003, 2:19:41 AM12/25/03
Jon Meltzer wrote:

Well....yeah. But I had this nightmare where the moment I pose that,
everyone'd be clamoring for all the other rings to get a cameo. Before you
know it, something that once knew only five gold rings, is sporting a bevy
of different flavors. ;-)

- Scott

Venger

Dec 25, 2003, 8:40:13 AM12/25/03

"kitznegari thinks it has wings" <kitzn...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >1. A fell beast in a dead tree
>
> "and a dark lord who wants his jewlrey" sounds kewl too.
>
> >2. Two wizards fightin'
>
> begging your pardon, but in my version that would be "wings on balrogs"
>
> 3. elf rings sparkling
>
> >4. Four brave hobbits
> >5. Five golden hairs
>
> i like "five palantirs" better.
> or "five oliphaunts", hehe.
>
> 6. teeth of gollum
> 7. bites of waybread
> 8. legs on shelob
> 9. ringwraiths chasing
> 10. selfish humans
> 11. miles to mordor
> 12. thousand orcs

I really like the way "Five thousand orcs" would sound, when that line is
labored. Most of those are great, 9 Nazgul is nice, as well as the 8 shellob
legs and 11 miles to mordor...

Venger

Tom & Linda

Dec 25, 2003, 9:11:38 AM12/25/03
Somewhere you need some Ents...

Like: 10 Ents a Marching

--Tom

r smith

Dec 25, 2003, 10:18:54 AM12/25/03

>>We figured Balrogs flamin' have to be in there somewhere, but we're not
>>sure how many.
>>
>>We were pretty sure that "seven" should go with "elven," thus:
>>
>>7. Seven elven archers
>>
>>Here's the balance of our thoughts on the matter:
>>
>>2. Two wizards fightin'
>>3. Three somethin' somethin'...

how about 3 hobbit brunches ?

Merry Christmas!

R Smith

Jon Meltzer

Dec 25, 2003, 10:41:24 AM12/25/03

"r smith" <gr8tf...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Nine walkers walking
(or, for those so inclined, Nine Ringwraiths riding)

and

[number please?] shards of Narsil

Bryan S. Slick

Dec 25, 2003, 11:57:36 AM12/25/03
[Jon Meltzer (jonNOSPA...@mindspring.com)]
[Thu, 25 Dec 2003 15:41:24 GMT]

:
:"r smith" <gr8tf...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Six shards of Narsil..

On the first day of Christmas, Galadriel gave to me: a fell beast in a
dead tree.

On the second day of Christmas, Galadriel gave to me: two Eagles
soaring, and a fell beast in a dead tree.

On the third day of Christmas, Galadriel gave to me: three Rings of
Power, two Eagles soaring, and a fell beast in a dead tree.

On the fourth day of Christmas, Galadriel gave to me: four Hobbits
scouring, three Rings of Power, two Eagles soaring, and a fell beast in
a dead tree.

On the fifth day of Christmas, Galadriel gave to me: five Nazgul kings..
four Hobbits walking, three Rings of Power, two Eagles soaring, and a
fell beast in a dead tree.

On the sixth day of Christmas, Galadriel gave to me: six shards of
Narsil, five Nazgul kings, four Hobbits walking, three Rings of Power,
two Eagles soaring, and a fell beast in a dead tree.

On the seventh day of Christmas, Galadriel gave to me: seven Elven
archers, six shards of Narsil, five Nazgul Kings.. four hobbits walking,
three Rings of Power, two Eagles soaring, and a fell beast in a dead
tree.

On the eight day of Christmas, Galadriel gave to me: eight Gondor
beacons, seven Elven archers, six shards of Narsil, five.. Nazgul Kings!
.. four hobbits walking, three Rings of Power, two Eagles soaring, and a
fell beast in a dead tree!

On the ninth day of Christmas, Galadriel gave to me: nine Walkers
Questing, eight Gondor beacons, seven Elven archers, six shards of
Narsil, five.. Nazgul Kings! .. four hobbits walking, three Rings of
Power, two Eagles soaring, and a fell beast in a dead tree!

On the tenth day of Christmas, Galadriel gave to me: ten swords a-
clashing, nine Walkers Questing, eight Gondor beacons, seven Elven
archers, six shards of Narsil, five.. Nazgul Kings! .. four hobbits
walking, three Rings of Power, two Eagles soaring, and a fell beast in a
dead tree!

On the eleventh day of Christmas, Galadriel gave to me: eleven Dwarves
digging, ten swords a-clashing, nine Walkers Questing, eight Gondor
beacons, seven Elven archers, six shards of Narsil, five.. Nazgul Kings!
.. four hobbits walking, three Rings of Power, two Eagles soaring, and a
fell beast in a dead tree!

On the twelfth day of Christmas, Galadriel gave to me: twelve Ents
Entmooting, elven Dwarves digging, ten swords a-clashing, nine Walkers
Questing, eight Gondor beacons, seven Elven archers, six shards of
Narsil, five.. Nazgul Kings! .. four hobbits walking, three Rings of
Power, two Eagles soaring, and a fell beast in a dead tree!

(Your mileage may vary.) ;)

--
Bryan S. Slick, bryan_s at slick-family dot net

"To those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

Scott Marquardt

Dec 25, 2003, 2:19:15 PM12/25/03
Scott Marquardt wrote:

OK, here's an update incorporating what I'm considering to be the best so
far (hey, the OP's prerogative ;-)

I'm a bit concerned about scansion, folks, so anything that fell against
that concern is on the floor.

Further suggestions solicited. I don't think it's quite ready for prime
time:

On the __ day of Christmas Galadriel gave to me:

1. A fell beast in a dead tree

2. Wizards fighting
3. Rings of power
4. scouring Hobbits
5. Nazgul kings
6. Shards of Narsil
7. Elven archers
8. Legs on Shelob
9. Wraiths a-riding
10. Miles to Mordor
11. Ents a-marching
12. Thousands Orcs

I'll add that our household also likes "a dark lord who wants his jewelry"
for day one. ;-)

- Scott

Bryan S. Slick

Dec 25, 2003, 4:03:11 PM12/25/03
[Scott Marquardt (wasREM...@hotmail.com)]
[Thu, 25 Dec 2003 13:19:15 -0600]

:On the __ day of Christmas Galadriel gave to me:

: 1. A fell beast in a dead tree
: 2. Wizards fighting
: 3. Rings of power
: 4. scouring Hobbits
: 5. Nazgul kings
: 6. Shards of Narsil
: 7. Elven archers
: 8. Legs on Shelob
: 9. Wraiths a-riding
:10. Miles to Mordor
:11. Ents a-marching
:12. Thousands Orcs

Hmph!

I don't like using the Nazgul twice, btw.. which is why I didn't use 'em
for 9. I thought using them for 5 was cool, given that anyone who's
read LOTR knows where and why Nazgul in a grouping of 5 was important at
some point.

kitznegari thinks it has wings

Dec 25, 2003, 4:52:46 PM12/25/03
>On the __ day of Christmas Galadriel gave to me:
> 1. A fell beast in a dead tree
> 2. Wizards fighting
> 3. Rings of power
> 4. scouring Hobbits
> 5. Nazgul kings
> 6. Shards of Narsil
> 7. Elven archers
> 8. Legs on Shelob
> 9. Wraiths a-riding
>10. Miles to Mordor
>11. Ents a-marching
>12. Thousands Orcs

wha! no balrogs or palantirs?!

this only upsets me because there's two appearances of the ringwraiths. grr!
bah humbug to the nazgul!

Hasmonean Tazmanian

Dec 25, 2003, 4:43:09 PM12/25/03

Tom & Linda wrote:
> Somewhere you need some Ents...
>
> Like: 10 Ents a Marching

> --Tom
>
> kitznegari thinks it has wings wrote:
>
>>>1. A fell beast in a dead tree
>>
>>"and a dark lord who wants his jewlrey" sounds kewl too.
>>

>>>2. Two wizards fightin'
>>
>>begging your pardon, but in my version that would be "wings on balrogs"
>>
>>3. elf rings sparkling

3 elven boats
5 balrog wings.
elven lords a leaving (note: leaving middle earth via the grey havens)
12 dwarves a mining

etc.

Scott Marquardt

Dec 25, 2003, 6:55:25 PM12/25/03
OK, with a couple edits (I agree that the Nazgul should not appear twice):

> On the __ day of Christmas Galadriel gave to me:
> 1. A fell beast in a dead tree
> 2. Wizards fighting
> 3. Rings of power

> 4. Scouring Hobbits
> 5. Balrog wings
> 6. Shards of Narsil
> 7. Dwarves a-delving

> 8. Legs on Shelob
> 9. Wraiths a-riding
> 10. Miles to Mordor

> 11. Elven lords a-leaving (don't say "eleven," just start with "elven")
> 12. Thousands Orcs

One good alternate so far:

1. and a dark lord who wants his jewelry

- Scott

Ken Walton

Dec 25, 2003, 7:38:34 PM12/25/03

Trying to make this scan right. This is my best effort...

At the end of the Third Age the Dark Lord caused to be:

Twelve thousand orcs
Elven lords a-leaving
Ten miles to Mordor
Nine Wraiths a-riding
Eight legs of Shelob
Seven swanboats sailing
Six Shards of Narsil
Five golden hairs
Four hobbits bold
Three elf rings
Two warring towers
And the One Ring that's precious to me

--
Ken Walton

James Hyder

Dec 25, 2003, 9:28:18 PM12/25/03

"Ken Walton" <ken.w...@freenet.de> wrote

Hmm. 9 should certainly refer to either the Wraiths or the Fellowship. But
"a-riding" for Wraiths?

> Eight legs of Shelob
> Seven swanboats sailing
> Six Shards of Narsil
> Five golden hairs
> Four hobbits bold

Yes. Best so far for 4.

> Three elf rings

Yes. Best so far for 3.

> Two warring towers

Ah, yes. Which *are* the two towers? But for the "2", definitely refer to
towers. "Two evil towers" perhaps?

Hasmonean Tazmanian

Dec 25, 2003, 11:23:34 PM12/25/03

Ken Walton wrote:

> Scott Marquardt wrote:
>>
>> One good alternate so far:
>>
>> 1. and a dark lord who wants his jewelry
>>
>> - Scott
>

> Trying to make this scan right. This is my best effort...

This is so much better!

> At the end of the Third Age the Dark Lord caused to be:
>
> Twelve thousand orcs
> Elven lords a-leaving
> Ten miles to Mordor
> Nine Wraiths a-riding
> Eight legs of Shelob
> Seven swanboats sailing
> Six Shards of Narsil
> Five golden hairs
> Four hobbits bold
> Three elf rings
> Two warring towers

Two towers tall

> And the One Ring that's precious to me

Or maybe:
And the One that is precious to me.

Hasan

JXStern

Dec 25, 2003, 11:46:28 PM12/25/03
On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 01:38:34 +0100, Ken Walton <ken.w...@freenet.de>
wrote:

>Trying to make this scan right. This is my best effort...
>
>At the end of the Third Age the Dark Lord caused to be:
>
>Twelve thousand orcs
>Elven lords a-leaving
>Ten miles to Mordor
>Nine Wraiths a-riding
>Eight legs of Shelob
>Seven swanboats sailing
>Six Shards of Narsil
>Five golden hairs
>Four hobbits bold
>Three elf rings
>Two warring towers
>And the One Ring that's precious to me

Quite good! Gotta luv #11. No way to work in the flaming balrog, too
bad there weren't a few more of them. Could be seven rings for Durin.

Still, you get my vote for the prize, the writer's royalties for the
recording of this by Viggo.

J.

the softrat

Dec 25, 2003, 11:59:57 PM12/25/03
On 25 Dec 2003 21:52:46 GMT, kitzn...@aol.com (kitznegari thinks it
has wings) wrote:

>>On the __ day of Christmas Galadriel gave to me:
>> 1. A fell beast in a dead tree
>> 2. Wizards fighting
>> 3. Rings of power
>> 4. scouring Hobbits
>> 5. Nazgul kings
>> 6. Shards of Narsil
>> 7. Elven archers
>> 8. Legs on Shelob
>> 9. Wraiths a-riding
>>10. Miles to Mordor
>>11. Ents a-marching
>>12. Thousands Orcs
>
>wha! no balrogs or palantirs?!

2. Balrog wings
7. Palantirs

the softrat
"You've seen the epic. Now experience the Whole Story!"
mailto:sof...@pobox.com
--
I don't get even, I get odder.

Scott Marquardt

Dec 26, 2003, 12:28:23 AM12/26/03
OK, I like much of what's been changed. But I do agree that there's a
problem with "wraiths a-riding." This locution conjures images of Nazgul on
a Merry-Go-Round.

Any suggestions for that?

The other piece, though, is preserving some sense of the original. In other
words, this is LOTR monopoly, but the cards are still "community chest" and
"chance." ;-) For that reason I'm skeptical about "At the end of the
Third Age the Dark Lord caused to be:". It's very good, however, if one
wishes to make this a song for any time of the year.

On the __ day of Christmas Galadriel gave to me:
1. A fell beast in a dead tree
2. Wizards fighting
3. Rings of power
4. Scouring Hobbits
5. Balrog wings
6. Shards of Narsil
7. Dwarves a-delving

8. Legs of Shelob

9. Wraiths a-riding
10. Miles to Mordor
11. Elven lords a-leaving

12. Thousand Orcs

I still like these alternates, though.

1. and a dark lord who wants his jewelry

2. Warring towers
4. Hobbits bold
5. Golden hairs

For some reason I don't like these:

> Seven swanboats sailing

> And the One Ring that's precious to me

The "precious to me" is awkward even with the "Dark Lord caused to be"
piece, but it's also awkward with the Galadriel version.

What I'm seeing is sacrifices. It's hard to leave out Sauron, or the
wizards, or the balrog wings (though many ill-informed Tolkien fans have
done so over the years ;-)

Personally, I think (10) could be changed -- but on the other hand it
captures the whole sense of quest, of journey, of telos.

More thought people, c'mon. We only have 12 days to finish this. We'll do a
vote on variants, if anyone's interested.

- Scott

Tar-Elenion

Dec 26, 2003, 12:36:55 AM12/26/03
In article <1midolyw8az55$.d...@marquardts.org>, wasREM...@hotmail.com
says...

Seven Seeing Stones

Five Wizards Staffs

--
Tar-Elenion

Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Christopher Kreuzer

Dec 26, 2003, 5:47:35 PM12/26/03
"Scott Marquardt" <wasREM...@hotmail.com> wrote

> On the __ day of Christmas Galadriel gave to me:
> 1. A fell beast in a dead tree

An eagle in a white tree?

Or something in a white tree.

A white tree please??

Oh, the dead tree _is_white!

Oops. :-)

Odysseus

Dec 26, 2003, 6:38:48 PM12/26/03
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:

> An eagle in a white tree?
>
> Or something in a white tree.
>
> A white tree please??
>
> Oh, the dead tree _is_white!

A sapling of the White Tree?

--
Odysseus

Christopher Kreuzer

Dec 26, 2003, 7:37:24 PM12/26/03
"Odysseus" wrote

Needs to be something _in_ a tree.
To parody a partridge in a pear tree.

Bill O'Meally

Dec 26, 2003, 9:03:27 PM12/26/03

"Christopher Kreuzer" <spam...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

A talan in a Mallorn tree?
--
Bill

"Wise fool"
Gandalf, THE TWO TOWERS
-- The Wise will remove 'se' to reply; the Foolish will not--

Odysseus

Dec 27, 2003, 12:59:37 AM12/27/03
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:

> Needs to be something _in_ a tree.
> To parody a partridge in a pear tree.

Not IMO ... I've seen a number of parodies of the song that don't
attempt to reproduce the wording so precisely but remain perfectly
recognizable from the metre or rhyme. For example there's a fairly
popular 'Ukrainian food' one with the tag-line "A big bowl of sour cream."

--
Odysseus

Christopher Kreuzer

Dec 27, 2003, 1:10:24 AM12/27/03
"Odysseus" <odysseu...@yahoo-dot.ca> wrote in message

What? For Queen Beruthial's cats? :-)

--
---
Replace spamgard with isengard to reply

Ken Walton

Dec 27, 2003, 4:01:27 AM12/27/03
I once wrote a version that ended (I've forgotten the rest)

5 old things
4 jolly lairds
3 felt pens
2 purple gloves
and a portable colour tv...

--
Ken Walton

Scott Marquardt

Dec 25, 2004, 1:22:18 PM12/25/04
Last year my kiddo spontaneously came up with the first day of the song,
with a LOTR theme. Several folks chimed in with their ideas.

Anyone have any ideas this year? This is, as I understand it, the first day
of Christmas, so I'll reiterate what the kiddo came up with last year:

1. A fell beast in a dead tree

Other ideas we came up with were "Balrogs flamin' " and so forth.

We were pretty sure that "seven" should go with "elven," thus:

7. Seven elven archers

And this one seemed obvious, even though the numbers not quite right:

5. Five golden hairs

We lost momentum.

Help! Help help! Please help us finish this!

--

Scott

Prai Jei

Dec 25, 2004, 5:21:58 PM12/25/04
Scott Marquardt (or somebody else of the same name) wrote thusly in message
<1nvmibav...@marquardts.org>:

Nine riders riding (of course!)
--
Paul Townsend
Pair them off into threes

Interchange the alphabetic letter groups to reply

Gregg Cattanach

Dec 27, 2004, 9:55:47 AM12/27/04

Pretty weak (I suppose) but here's what I came up with:
Twelve Men a-marching,
Eleven Harad Oliphants,
Ten Dwarves a-delving,
Nine Nazgul riding,
Eight Orcs a-fighting,
Seven archers arching,
Six Horselords charging,
Five palintiri,
Four hobbits trekking,
Three elven rings,
Two wizard's staffs,
and a fell beast in a dead tree.

Yuk Tang

Dec 27, 2004, 10:44:29 AM12/27/04
"Gregg Cattanach" <gcattana...@prodigy.net> wrote in

Doesn't equal the one sung by English fans during the 5th Test in the
02-03 Ashes series.

http://www.geocities.com/ccsi20/8b_Oz_Cricket.htm

On the 12th day of Christmas my Nasser sent to me
12 weeks of drinking
11 fit players
10 Aussie wickets
9 short for Shane Warne