Just to make clear between 3d & 2d

Todd Sempel

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

Bing Wu wrote:

> Stefan Rimaila wrote:
> >
> > Just to make clear of Sonic "3D" and the "old" 2D.
> > You can never ever make a 3D character to look as good as the "original"
> > 2D character (or something to that direction..). Anyway, 2D is _always_
> > better that 3D (think of Sonic with the Quake engine..), if the game
> > have been published as 2D, it should stay as 2D and not "get the hype"
> > or "the evolution". The evolution says that a precise year all the
> > computer games should move to 3D (a rule??), anyway think even of Sonic
> > 3D (like Quake) or then with a external view (ewww...). Get the hype
> > thing is like people in Finland; MY neighbor brought a car, I brought
> > two. If someone makes a "cool" 3D game, everyone else makes the same;
> > tries to make a "copy" of it instead of sitting back in the old (not
> > _always_ necessary). The "old" can also be good. The word "old" does
> > NEVER EVER mean that "Teehee, that game's a platform type. It's shit and
> > no-one wants it..", but in the fact it's not really like that. People
> > will always sometime love a platform-jumper so they're going to exist
> > (almost) forever as long as people want them. My opinion of Sonic 3D (or
> > if it were Sonic Jam.. not sure) that f**k the 3D engine. People could
> > love that game but they will never win the first and original Sonic 1
> > Platform (Genesis / Master System).

> Well, I liked the 3D world in Sonic Jam, and this is only 32 bit. So the
> 64 bit 3D Sonic game should be better. And the Sonic stories (Sega)
> points to a exploration kind of game, so 3D is better than 2D for Sonic.

I disagree. To me, part of what make Sonic games Sonic is the fact that
they are 2 dimensional, the wicked multi-parralax backgrounds. It was
like in Sonic 3D Blast, that was the first Sonic game (not including
Spinball) where I actually got bored of it the first time I played it.
I think that the Sonic video game series has probably run it's course.

Todd

Stefan Rimaila

Aug 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/28/97

TailsTT wrote:

> Stefan Rimaila <ste...@sci.fi> said:
>

> >Just to make clear of Sonic "3D" and the "old" 2D.
> >

> >You can never ever make a 3D character to look as good as the "original"
> >
> >2D character (or something to that direction..). Anyway, 2D is _always_
> >
> >better that 3D (think of Sonic with the Quake engine..), if the game
> >
> >have been published as 2D, it should stay as 2D and not "get the hype"
> >
> >or "the evolution". The evolution says that a precise year all the
> >
> >computer games should move to 3D (a rule??), anyway think even of Sonic
> >
> >3D (like Quake) or then with a external view (ewww...). Get the hype
> >
> >thing is like people in Finland; MY neighbor brought a car, I brought
> >
> >two. If someone makes a "cool" 3D game, everyone else makes the same;
> >
> >tries to make a "copy" of it instead of sitting back in the old (not
> >
> >_always_ necessary). The "old" can also be good. The word "old" does
> >
> >NEVER EVER mean that "Teehee, that game's a platform type. It's shit and
> >
> >no-one wants it..", but in the fact it's not really like that. People
> >
> >will always sometime love a platform-jumper so they're going to exist
> >
> >(almost) forever as long as people want them. My opinion of Sonic 3D (or
> >
> >if it were Sonic Jam.. not sure) that f**k the 3D engine. People could
> >
> >love that game but they will never win the first and original Sonic 1
> >
> >Platform (Genesis / Master System).
> >

> >Does all this sound a bit confusing?? ..
> >

> > - Stuf
>
> Hmmm.... You have a point. The new supposed "Sonic X-Treme" can never
> compare to the original Sonic 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles, etc. They were the best
> and always will be. Unfortunately, the idiots at Sega don't seem to realize
> that. So instead expect alot more of those "3-D" games onstead. Oh, well...
> TailsTT
> (Tai...@aol.com)
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/fl/Juliesu14/index.html
> StH JJ1 Arc+++ AdS-- Son+ Sal+++! Tal++" Rot++i Knu+^ Amy+++! Amc+ P++ Dw
> $++ A14 GM

Well, Sonic X-Treme wont come out. Sega has gone on a new project named
Sonic Jam.. :(

- Stuf

| The OFFICIAL home of the Red Alert INI Editors: |
| Stuf's Red Alert INI Editor Page! |
| AND! |
| XM/S3M/MDL/MOD Music coming soon as a Pascal & |
| Visual Basic page and a Sonic the Hedgehog page |
| |
| Updated soon! (Does this remind all of you of |
| TV Shop?? :) |
| http://www.sci.fi/~steffi |