Old Timers

Sailor Terra (Kionon)

Dec 13, 2005, 9:32:24 PM12/13/05
I recently gave a presentation on the history of usenet. I described
some of my experience with AFSM in the nineties. Anyone on here still
from back in the day? I'm curious enough to want to catch up with
people. I see I'm still on the FAQ. ^_^

Ruth Light

Dec 14, 2005, 7:08:12 AM12/14/05
I originally started posting in AFSM back in October or November of
1997. I called myself Sailor Sun (later on Sunniechan), although my
sender name was listed first as "Pamela Jo Reamer" (my mother's name)
and then Ruth Reamer (my maiden name). I was a member of the MSOC, and
really wanted to joing OW! as a Makochanian, but never had the nerve.

I drifted out in mid-1999 because Purdue University didn't carry AFSM,
but after I requested it, they put it on. I stuck around off and on
from 2000 through 2001ish, but then drifted away again because of the
lack of activity. Recently, I decided to give it a go again. There may
not be much activity, but it's nice to be back, and I check for messages
several times a day, even if I don't respond very often.

Your name is familiar to me, but I'm pretty sure I won't be remembered.
^_^ Oh yeah, my one AFSM claim to fame: I met my husband through AFSM. ^_^v

Cheers,
Ruth aka Sunniechan

Lyrical Nanoha

Dec 14, 2005, 7:25:35 AM12/14/05
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Ruth Light wrote:

> Your name is familiar to me, but I'm pretty sure I won't be remembered. ^_^
> Oh yeah, my one AFSM claim to fame: I met my husband through AFSM. ^_^v

I was, infamously, a dubbie in 1997 or so when I first showed up here from
Deja, and later on Google, using a number of different aliases (usually
they had "dosius" somewhere in them). Lost my connection in 2001 when I
moved, got it somewhat back in 2002, but before mid-2003 been completely
reliant on school and public libraries for access. Then I got online from
home. I've lurked here for a while lately, but nothing to say, so I just
stuck in the background, after the infamous TV-Nihon incident. >_<

-uso.

Ruth Light

Dec 14, 2005, 7:34:11 AM12/14/05
Dosius! I remember that name. Oh goodness, I haven't heard about Deja
in ages and ages...

I was a dubbie when I first joined in late 1997, but I had my first
fansubs by February of 1998 and never looked back. Thank you Glen A.
Pearce and Phoenix.

I was a member of the 1k post club. I might have made it to 2k, I can't
remember thought...

Ruth

Sailor Terra (Kionon)

Dec 14, 2005, 1:07:19 PM12/14/05
I've been around since 1998 or so. Not sure who here is new and might
be reading, so I'll introduce myself.

I was one of the signers of the Pink List and a well known rabid
Chibiusa supporter. I was one of the original AFSMers at the Annual
AFSM Party at Akon, although I have not attended in two or three years.
The con, not the party. If I had been at the con, I'd have gone to the
party. You can find pictures of me in a bright pink OW! shirt on
phoenix's page.

I hold both a Luna pin and an Arty pin. Assuming I can remember where I
put them. I think I was smart and had my mother put them in her
super-special jewelry box.

In the OtakuWars! I had two characters, Sailor Terra, the
Minakochanian, and Pockey Knight, the Chibiusachanian. I myself am
actually more of an Amichanian, she is rarely ever attacked. As such,
on the newsgroup in general, I came to represent the pink hordes along
with Phoenix and The Evil Professor Chronos.

If anything, I think my main "claim to fame" (as you put it) is that
Scortia and I attended each others' proms. Whether we were an item or
not in reality is something left better undiscussed. I'm sure she would
rather forget it, and will probably kill me for having posted this. Oh
well. Matter of public record already. Google saves everything.

--
Kionon (SailorTerra)
Protector of the Paragon of Pinkness

tuxgeo

Dec 14, 2005, 1:40:26 PM12/14/05
On 13 Dec 2005 18:32:24 -0800, "Sailor Terra (Kionon)"
<midn.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

My first posting to alt.fan.sailor-moon was on July 2, 1996,
according to the Google archive, using my e-mail address
as my posting name.

That was after lurking for awhile. I had only seen part of
the dub, so I expected discussion of Serena and Lita and
Darien, not Usagi and Makoto and Mamoru. I had no idea
whom these posters were talking about, and it took me a
few weeks to get current. I guess I started reading the
group sometime around May or June, 1996.

For a while, I was listed on John "Phoenix" Brown's list of
a.f.s-m posters -- while he was still maintaining it.

Mott...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2005, 2:40:59 PM12/14/05

Sailor Terra (Kionon) wrote:

> If anything, I think my main "claim to fame" (as you put it) is that
> Scortia and I attended each others' proms. Whether we were an item or
> not in reality is something left better undiscussed. I'm sure she would
> rather forget it, and will probably kill me for having posted this. Oh
> well. Matter of public record already. Google saves everything.

And, of course, it makes me supremely jealous. ^_~

*waves to everybody*

-Ian

Sailor Terra (Kionon)

Dec 14, 2005, 3:16:38 PM12/14/05
Ah, speaking of old timers, it's Ian Motter, everyone.

Scortia's #1 Fanboy.

Rick S

Dec 14, 2005, 7:35:59 PM12/14/05
"Sailor Terra (Kionon)" <midn.c...@gmail.com> wrote in

(Waves)

Hey. I'm the guy who started the uFAQ and got the Luna and Arty pins
made. I still check in here every few days. Not much going on any more
to talk about though.

--
Rick S.
Calgary, Alberta

Lyrical Nanoha

Dec 14, 2005, 9:03:35 PM12/14/05
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Ruth Light wrote:

> Dosius! I remember that name. Oh goodness, I haven't heard about Deja in
> ages and ages...
>
> I was a dubbie when I first joined in late 1997, but I had my first fansubs
> by February of 1998 and never looked back. Thank you Glen A. Pearce and
> Phoenix.

Perhaps as proof that anyone with reasonably mental capacity can't remain
a n00b forever, I started to go subbie in late 1998 when a friend loaned
me a pisspoor quality VHS of the S movie. I moved from a strict foster
family to a much more lenient one in August 1999, and the very next month
I bought a money order and sent it out to Pearce and got the whole S
series on VHS. I also bought the legit releases of the movies about this
time. A couple months later a classmate copied me her Sailor Stars tapes.
So I got real familiar with these. Then sometime the next year I bought
the first 46 eps RAW from Pearce and watched them. *.* If I was a dubbie
before, I sure wasn't now because I had seen the light! xD; I bought R a
year or two later from him, and got the SS DVDs.

My current project is acquiring region-2 rips and dvdisos of BSSM, and I'm
doing very well with that. I want quality AND quantity, lol. And I offer
what I've been able to download of AVIs from my IRC channel, most of these
are 250 MB and over.

And as much as I hate what DIC did to BSSM... I still have a little bit of
a soft spot in my heart for the version that first introduced me to anime.
I have the first 82 English episodes on my computer too, but I'm not
likely to watch them as much as the 186 Japanese episodes I have.

-uso.

Ruth Light

Dec 14, 2005, 9:23:39 PM12/14/05

Lyrical Nanoha wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Ruth Light wrote:
>
> My current project is acquiring region-2 rips and dvdisos of BSSM, and
> I'm doing very well with that. I want quality AND quantity, lol. And I
> offer what I've been able to download of AVIs from my IRC channel, most
> of these are 250 MB and over.

My project is replacing my fansubs with legit copies. I've got classic
and R taken care of, just need S, SuperS, and the movies. And I"m
looking forward to the new Stars releases. As much as I love VKLL for
what they did for Sailor Moon fandom, the Stars I dled a few months ago
gave me a major headache when I watched them. I'm also currently in the
process of watching all of PGSM, although I've been on a bit of a break.

Sailor Moon is no longer my favorite anime, Revolutionary Girl Utena
took that spot from it several years ago, and others have surpassed BSSM
on my list as well. But it will always be the most special to me. It
got me started, after all. I just acquired another artbook today, even.
My collection will continue to grow, I suppose. There's just
something about Sailor Moon, the magic just hasn't worn off, even 8
years later.

Ruth

Lyrical Nanoha

Dec 14, 2005, 9:46:14 PM12/14/05
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Ruth Light wrote:

> Sailor Moon is no longer my favorite anime, Revolutionary Girl Utena took
> that spot from it several years ago, and others have surpassed BSSM on my
> list as well. But it will always be the most special to me. It got me
> started, after all. I just acquired another artbook today, even. My
> collection will continue to grow, I suppose. There's just something about
> Sailor Moon, the magic just hasn't worn off, even 8 years later.

Yeah. My current fav anime is probably Lyrical Nanoha, but BSSM has a
special place as the first anime I saw and got into. I'm sure others can
say much the same thing.

And I know what you mean about the quality of those VKLL-rip AVIs. >_<
There have been a couple attempts to replace them, FoT has started
releasing MP4s, and I've started releasing AVIs, though I'm waiting to
have a complete copy of the first DVD before I go any further.

I've also got a plan for Stars that will blow the bootleg site
http://www.sailor-moon-stars.com/smstars.html out of the water... Damn
them to hell, for selling boots at markup, admitting they're boots and yet
even advertising on Google! >_< Oh well, they'll get theirs. I've got a
copy of DVD Lab Pro and people offering me VOBs of Sailor Stars. And a
reasonably fast line to run BitTorrent from. :P

-uso.

Sailor Terra (Kionon)

Dec 14, 2005, 11:30:11 PM12/14/05
...I must inquire as to the location of your IRC channel.

Rick S. wrote:

> Hey. I'm the guy who started the uFAQ and got the Luna and Arty pins
> made. I still check in here every few days. Not much going on any more
> to talk about though.

That can be corrected. If we manage to even get AFSM into a sort of
bronze age, or silver age (I'd say Golden Age AFSM refers to the years
between 1995-2002), I wouldn't mind fronting the cost for Diana pins.

Lyrical Nanoha

Dec 14, 2005, 11:56:29 PM12/14/05
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Sailor Terra (Kionon) wrote:

> Rick S. wrote:
>
>> Hey. I'm the guy who started the uFAQ and got the Luna and Arty pins
>> made. I still check in here every few days. Not much going on any more
>> to talk about though.
>
> That can be corrected. If we manage to even get AFSM into a sort of
> bronze age, or silver age (I'd say Golden Age AFSM refers to the years
> between 1995-2002), I wouldn't mind fronting the cost for Diana pins.

There's always lesser known BSSM topics. I wonder how many people here
have seen some of the musicals - I've been involved in the torrenting of
several of them, mainly the newer ones.

-uso.

Sailor Terra (Kionon)

Dec 15, 2005, 12:20:39 AM12/15/05

Lyrical Nanoha wrote:

> There's always lesser known BSSM topics. I wonder how many people here
> have seen some of the musicals - I've been involved in the torrenting of
> several of them, mainly the newer ones.

Never seen any of them, actually. But then I don't think the question
is how many people here have seen anything, but rather the question is,
how many people are here PERIOD. I've been looking back, and until my
topic, there was something like ten posts a month, if that. I used to
be on AFSM religiously. I think I can spare at least a post a day.

I still happen to have my VKLL fansubs. I need to replace them, but
I'll never throw them away. All though deteriorated, I like having the
physical object to connect me to the past. It may seem odd to some, but
back in the nineties, as you who have responded know, we didn't have
broadband, let alone peer-2-peer or torrenting. Anime fandom has
changed so drastically in the last ten years and I guess I just like
having the VHS tape in case I need to whip it out and smack a twelve
year old narutard on the head when he complains his 22kb/s torrent
download is too slow. ^_~

Lyrical Nanoha

Dec 15, 2005, 12:40:21 AM12/15/05
On Thu, 14 Dec 2005, Sailor Terra (Kionon) wrote:

> Lyrical Nanoha wrote:
>
>> There's always lesser known BSSM topics. I wonder how many people here
>> have seen some of the musicals - I've been involved in the torrenting of
>> several of them, mainly the newer ones.
>
> Never seen any of them, actually. But then I don't think the question
> is how many people here have seen anything, but rather the question is,
> how many people are here PERIOD.

Prolly not too many. Maybe a handful of us and most of us have been here
the better part of a decade, myself included.

> I've been looking back, and until my
> topic, there was something like ten posts a month, if that. I used to
> be on AFSM religiously. I think I can spare at least a post a day.

Heh. I know what you mean.

> I still happen to have my VKLL fansubs. I need to replace them, but
> I'll never throw them away. All though deteriorated, I like having the
> physical object to connect me to the past. It may seem odd to some, but
> back in the nineties, as you who have responded know, we didn't have
> broadband, let alone peer-2-peer or torrenting. Anime fandom has
> changed so drastically in the last ten years and I guess I just like
> having the VHS tape in case I need to whip it out and smack a twelve
> year old narutard on the head when he complains his 22kb/s torrent
> download is too slow. ^_~

LOL. 22 K/s slow? I can tell you this, 22 K/s is quite normal for me and
I am fully capable of pulling 190. I download from a lot of low-demand
torrents.

And I've dealt with twelve-year-old chumps who insist on getting their
Magiranger fix from me, instead of going to a potentially faster torrent,
and complain when I don't have it the day it comes out. I could prolly
take my VKLL Stars and S and use them as a LART for lusers like that. XD

-uso.

Sailor Terra (Kionon)

Dec 15, 2005, 1:05:28 AM12/15/05

Lyrical Nanoha wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2005, Sailor Terra (Kionon) wrote:
>
> > Lyrical Nanoha wrote:
> Prolly not too many. Maybe a handful of us and most of us have been here
> the better part of a decade, myself included.

1998? Yeah, I think that signifies a "ditto" from me.

BTW, Happy Belated 10th Birthday AFSM!

> LOL. 22 K/s slow? I can tell you this, 22 K/s is quite normal for me and
> I am fully capable of pulling 190. I download from a lot of low-demand
> torrents.

You'd be surprised at what I've heard from younger congers with their
laptops and wireless internet connections. "Dude, this network is so
slow, I can't download this entire series this weekend. What a ripoff."

Ah the days of hooking up seven VCRs at a friends house so after the
showing you could all have your own copy, I remember them well. If
there was an error in one of the first cables, you were all screwed and
you'd have to do it again! I also remember when Fushigi Yuugi first
came out, back in 1998 I think, sitting around watching the raws with
printed our translations from usenet.

> And I've dealt with twelve-year-old chumps who insist on getting their
> Magiranger fix from me, instead of going to a potentially faster torrent,
> and complain when I don't have it the day it comes out. I could prolly
> take my VKLL Stars and S and use them as a LART for lusers like that. XD

"Look here sonny, in my day we had to walk barefoot in the snow uphill
both ways just to get our money order into the post box. If we were
really lucky, it might only take a couple of weeks to get our tapes. If
we were really unlucky, we might have had to send the tapes ourselves,
and child, we LIKED it that way!"

Ruth Light

Dec 15, 2005, 7:04:51 AM12/15/05

Sailor Terra (Kionon) wrote:

> That can be corrected. If we manage to even get AFSM into a sort of
> bronze age, or silver age (I'd say Golden Age AFSM refers to the years
> between 1995-2002), I wouldn't mind fronting the cost for Diana pins.

I still want a Luna pin. ;_; I started posting right after they finally
got rid of the last of 'em, I think. I do have 3 Artemis pins though.
Wait, make that 2. I think I lost the one that was on my backpack. I
was totally gutted when that happened. Of course, if there ever is
demand enough to get a Diana pin done, I will definitely want one.
Hmm...my husband still reads AFSM, and he's great with discussion about
things. I should get him to start posting (he tends to lurk a lot).

Idle curiosity...do they still do the AFSM party at Akon? I always
managed to be in Texas the week before or the week after Akon. I could
never get my act together and get there the right week (I was visiting
my then boyfriend-now husband, Starlight Knight). The only con I've
been able to attend has been Gencon which is a gaming one. But I
attached my Artemis pin proudly to my nametag and hoped against hope
someone might see it and know its significance. Of course, no one did,
but that's beside the point. :p

I would love to see AFSM come a bit more alive. I was out of the Sailor
Moon loop for awhile. Aside from the roleplays and fanfiction I do with
my husband, I didn't watch the show for a long time, even if I thought
about the characters everday. Last February, I decided to buy the VKLL
Stars subs on DVD. Granted, after 3 sets, I still never got them to
work on any of my DVD players or DVD roms, but it started me going
again. And for that, I'm grateful. (Oh, and can I say that Haruka and
Michiru in the last episode or two had me bawling my eyes out?)

Ruth

Lyrical Nanoha

Dec 15, 2005, 8:12:50 AM12/15/05
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Ruth Light wrote:

> Last February, I decided to buy the VKLL Stars subs on DVD. Granted,
> after 3 sets, I still never got them to work on any of my DVD players or
> DVD roms, but it started me going again. And for that, I'm grateful.
> (Oh, and can I say that Haruka and Michiru in the last episode or two
> had me bawling my eyes out?)

There's DVD-R and DVD+R recordable discs and some players reject one or
the other. I find -R the better choice.

I am planning to do DVD-Rs (and possibly dual-layer through a friend) of
Sailor Stars based on region 2 DVD source, and will probably distribute
the VIDEO_TS folders as BitTorrents. These are going to be large
downloads, but will assure that the videos are available WITHOUT being
sold for profit.

-uso.

Rick S

Dec 15, 2005, 9:33:36 AM12/15/05
Ruth Light <ral...@insightbb.com> wrote in

> I still want a Luna pin. ;_;

> Ruth

I have one I can spare. Email me.

Rick S

Dec 15, 2005, 9:35:17 AM12/15/05
"Sailor Terra (Kionon)" <midn.c...@gmail.com> wrote in

We had a hard time getting rid of the Arty pins and we were still a
busy group then. There aren't enough of us now to warrant a new run.

Sailor Terra (Kionon)

Dec 15, 2005, 9:58:44 AM12/15/05

Rick S wrote:
> We had a hard time getting rid of the Arty pins and we were still a
> busy group then. There aren't enough of us now to warrant a new run.

That's, uhm, odd. I'm really surprised at that. Does no one think of
how much they'll be worth in thirty or forty years? >_>

Speaking of spares, in case I can't manage to find mine...

Is there any estimate of how many people actually post here now? Should
I start a new thread marked titled "AFSM Roll Call"?

Message has been deleted

Steve ordering a pizza

Dec 15, 2005, 5:46:03 PM12/15/05
You don't by chance know what I can get an Arty, do you?

/\ Same old\ "The oil companies have gone bankrupt." / Steve /\
/ \ Super \ Things you don't hear every day #154 / Allen / \
\ \ Steve \-----------------------------------------/Richards / /
\ \_________\ http://www.geocities.com/not_bob_dole /_________/ /
\ / /\ Email doesn't work /\ \ /
\/_________/\_\___________________________________/_/\_________\/

The Wanderer

Dec 15, 2005, 7:25:37 PM12/15/05
Sailor Terra (Kionon) wrote:

I don't generally post, because I don't have much to say anymore when
not prompted by existing discussion, but I do still read the newsgroup
whenever there's anything actually posted here.

(The real old-timers probably have no idea who I am, but that's okay. I
don't remember by date when I arrived, but I do know it was just barely
in time to witness the formal declaration of the end of the Otaku
Wars... although the newsgroup didn't get really dead for quite some
while after that.)

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.

Ruth Light

Dec 15, 2005, 8:09:20 PM12/15/05

The Wanderer wrote:

<snip>

> (The real old-timers probably have no idea who I am, but that's okay. I
> don't remember by date when I arrived, but I do know it was just barely
> in time to witness the formal declaration of the end of the Otaku
> Wars... although the newsgroup didn't get really dead for quite some
> while after that.)

The Otaku Wars are over? I mean, obviously they aren't active, by there
was a formal declaration? That's so...sad, actually. While I never
really read much of OW! (I tried because I wanted to join, but I thought
it was too late to get involved), they were such a huge part of every
day's haul of messages. That's really a downer... :( I was so excited
the other day when I saw an OW-related post.

Ruth

Rick S

Dec 15, 2005, 9:12:44 PM12/15/05
"Steve ordering a pizza" <hans...@forpresident.com> wrote in

> You don't by chance know what I can get an Arty, do you?

Yup, I have a couple of those left. Can you send me your address?

The Wanderer

Dec 16, 2005, 1:49:46 AM12/16/05
Ruth Light wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> (The real old-timers probably have no idea who I am, but that's
>> okay. I don't remember by date when I arrived, but I do know it was
>> just barely in time to witness the formal declaration of the end of
>> the Otaku Wars... although the newsgroup didn't get really dead for
>> quite some while after that.)
>
> The Otaku Wars are over? I mean, obviously they aren't active, by
> there was a formal declaration? That's so...sad, actually.

Yes, there was, and yes, it is. (Apparently the end had been announced
before, but this time it appears to have stuck, despite a couple of
early attempts to revive it - although the recent posts may potentially
hold the seed of another resurgence.)

I've tracked it down in my local archive, and my first post to the group
appears to have been on November 3 of '02. (It's been longer than I
thought!) I've been looking around on Google Groups, trying to track
down the exact occasion, and all I've been able to find is a post by
Adrian Tymes responding to the thread I remember... it appears, for
whatever reason, that the thing didn't get archived. (grrr...)

> While I never really read much of OW! (I tried because I wanted to
> join, but I thought it was too late to get involved), they were such
> a huge part of every day's haul of messages. That's really a
> downer... :( I was so excited the other day when I saw an OW-related
> post.

Yeah... I was kind of disappointed, given everything I'd heard about the
Wars, to have managed to just barely miss out on them.

Pook!

Dec 16, 2005, 1:38:13 PM12/16/05
If "Sailor Terra (Kionon)" <midn.c...@gmail.com> had a hammer,
they might have built a post that went like this:

>I recently gave a presentation on the history of usenet. I described
>some of my experience with AFSM in the nineties. Anyone on here still
>from back in the day? I'm curious enough to want to catch up with
>people. I see I'm still on the FAQ. ^_^

Heh. I'm still subscribed to this group in my Agent folder, but I'd
say I check it about once a month. I hang out on Jetwolf's
messageboard to keep up with the people who are there like Nightman,
SuperSteve, Ultrace, CapeMike, Mimi, Jewelle, Farix, Carp, Kane,
DemonStalker, NSK, Aureal, Hydrus, Shawna-chan, etc. Then there's also
the #afsm and #ow IRC channels that are still going with people like
Mord, Eibra and Lauren.

Just about everyone is still floating around out there SOMEwhere, it's
just a matter of finding 'em :)

--Pook! ^_^

I Abibde

Dec 16, 2005, 3:02:35 PM12/16/05
> The Otaku Wars are over? I mean, obviously they aren't active, by
> there was a formal declaration? That's so...sad, actually.

There might be a formal declaration, but a few of us have a hard time
sticking to it. :-) Now that the Wars! have had a couple of years to
cool down a bit, I get the feeling that we will be up and at it again.

> downer... :( I was so excited the other day when I saw an
> OW-related post.

Stay tuned, kids! And bug Super Steve to keep posting! :-D

-- I Abibde, the Mad Dwarf

Ruth Light

Dec 16, 2005, 5:31:38 PM12/16/05

You know, should they resume...I might get involved. And I could
probably bring in Starlight Knight again as well. We were both MSOCers
rather than OW!ers, but we both still had interest.

Ruth

Steve ordering a pizza

Dec 16, 2005, 5:47:41 PM12/16/05
I dunno. You totally caught me at a loss and I was hoping that someone
else would post an event starring someone other than me. 'Else OW!
will officially become The SuperSteve Show.

~Steve
Be it known that if there were to be a rumbling in my bowels, I would
choose Pepto Bismol over Soy milk.

FurrySaint

Dec 16, 2005, 10:57:58 PM12/16/05
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:38:13 GMT, Pook! <fierc...@hottmail.com>
wrote:

What she said. ^_^ Though I check here every day ot so. Since the
series is pretty much done with and out of the public eye, this place
is rather dead...

--John F. Martin
--FurrySaint at hotmail dot com
Makoto! Ami! ArcImpulse! http://arcimpulse.shoujoai.com
YKK Forum: http://members.lycos.co.uk/cafealpha/

Mott...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2005, 1:52:56 PM12/20/05

Hey Pook! (don't forget the SEP) hehe...

How's the Peek! doing?

-Ian

Phoenix

Dec 20, 2005, 6:34:54 PM12/20/05
Sailor Terra (Kionon) wrote:

>I recently gave a presentation on the history of usenet. I described
>some of my experience with AFSM in the nineties. Anyone on here still
>from back in the day? I'm curious enough to want to catch up with
>people. I see I'm still on the FAQ. ^_^

Hi Kionon, it's great that I still get to run into you once in a while
at various cons.

And hi to everyone else. It's so nice to see so many familiar names.

To those who may not know me, I actually made my first post way back
during the first month this newsgroup was created, August 1995. Wow, I
just realized that was 10 years ago.

I'm Phoenix, and was the guy who hosted the first ever
alt.fan.sailor-moon party at Akon 10 back in 1999, Keeper of the Pink
and Black lists and creator of the Phoenix's irrelevant polls that
spawned some wonderfully fierce on-line battles.

I mostly just lurk nowdays, but I do check back every week or so to
see what's up.

Phoenix
http://phoenixanime.com/

Stephane Dumas

Dec 20, 2005, 8:38:11 PM12/20/05

>> Just about everyone is still floating around out there SOMEwhere, it's
>> just a matter of finding 'em :)
>>
>> --Pook! ^_^
>
> Hey Pook! (don't forget the SEP) hehe...
>
> How's the Peek! doing?
>
> -Ian

Hi Ian, a while then I didn't saw you on AFSM ^_^

I'm glad to see some bit of action here from the old timers ^^ and to put a
bit of fun, some old YKYWTMSMW then I spotted on the www
You Freaked when Mara opened a 5th page!
You wonder if you can be Sailor Asteroid Belt.
The spirits in the fire are now calling you and you put them on hold because
Sailor Moon is on.
You join the animal rescue league in hopes that you might find Luna.
You begin to cross your favorite thing with Sailor Moon i.e, Sailor Eponine,
Tuxedo Jones (as in, From Indiana Jones), Sailor Beanie Baby......
You can rattle off more than 50 of these by memory.
You personally own more than 5 Sailor Moon sites.
You have at least 50 or more Sailor Moon sites bookmarked (I counted all of
mine to make sure of the right number!).
You have written numeros letters to Rachel Blanchard (Clueless) asking her
to wear her hair in meatballs on an episode of the show to show
Last summer you were seen running around throwing ice cubes screaming
"Mercury Ice Bubbles Freeze!"
You dress up like Zoisite and go around school trying to find the 7 rainbow
crystals. When people laugh at your costume, you throw rose petals in their
face.
You dress up like Malachite and crash a Sailor Moon stage show, state who
you are, what you want (the crystal) and start throwing pink boomerangs at
them.
When security drags you away you scream out Zoisite's name and yell that
your going to join her real soon.
The security gaurds at the DIC know you by name.
All you have to do is THREATEN to talk about Sailor Moon to shut up your
friends! :)
You play all you Sailor Moon sound files backwards to see it there are any
hidden messages that everyone else missed.
You still like Malachite, even though you know 'the truth'.
You go antiquing for your very own Crystal Key.

Stéphane Dumas

FurrySaint

Dec 21, 2005, 12:33:35 AM12/21/05

Nononono. It's just 'Peek'. No SEP. They get one as a coming of age
thing. And don't forget about the Snooglet. ^_-

Ruth Light

Dec 21, 2005, 2:45:15 PM12/21/05

Phoenix wrote:

> And hi to everyone else. It's so nice to see so many familiar names.
>
> To those who may not know me, I actually made my first post way back
> during the first month this newsgroup was created, August 1995. Wow, I
> just realized that was 10 years ago.
>
> I'm Phoenix, and was the guy who hosted the first ever
> alt.fan.sailor-moon party at Akon 10 back in 1999, Keeper of the Pink
> and Black lists and creator of the Phoenix's irrelevant polls that
> spawned some wonderfully fierce on-line battles.
>
> I mostly just lurk nowdays, but I do check back every week or so to
> see what's up.

Phoenix-san! It's so wonderful seeing names like that, Pook!, and Ian
still. I feel very nostalgic. ^_^ I still have the Chibiusa
collectible card I got in the fansubs I got from you. I believe I was
neither on the Pink or Black lists, as I was more of CHIP person. ^_-

Ruth aka Sunniechan

uc...@crystal-tokyo.com

Dec 21, 2005, 4:22:27 PM12/21/05
Sailor Kionon says

> I've been around since 1998 or so. Not sure who here is new and might
> be reading, so I'll introduce myself.
>
> I was one of the signers of the Pink List and a well known rabid
> Chibiusa supporter. I was one of the original AFSMers at the Annual
> AFSM Party at Akon, although I have not attended in two or three years.
> The con, not the party. If I had been at the con, I'd have gone to the
> party. You can find pictures of me in a bright pink OW! shirt on
> phoenix's page.

So that's why I haven't seen you around. I've been waiting for you
since 2003. Oh well.... For those interested in the party, it's
pending. We have some kinks to work out, but if all goes smoothly,
we'll go on June 9th, 2006 at 4 pm. We'll be waiting for you.

Chris Kern

Dec 21, 2005, 7:04:46 PM12/21/05
On 13 Dec 2005 18:32:24 -0800, "Sailor Terra (Kionon)"
<midn.c...@gmail.com> posted the following:

>I recently gave a presentation on the history of usenet. I described
>some of my experience with AFSM in the nineties. Anyone on here still
>from back in the day? I'm curious enough to want to catch up with
>people. I see I'm still on the FAQ. ^_^

My first post was March 1996, so it's coming up on ten years since I
first read this group. Hard to believe. I haven't watched Sailor
Moon in ages, though.

-Chris

Stephane Dumas

Dec 21, 2005, 10:01:12 PM12/21/05
> My first post was March 1996, so it's coming up on ten years since I
> first read this group. Hard to believe. I haven't watched Sailor
> Moon in ages, though.
>
> -Chris

Looks like my server had skipped some posts, I had to check on Google groups
for the missing posts like Phoenix, Ian, Chris. I'm glad you're ok guys :-)

I wonder if we could have some news from others old timers like Devin de
Gruyl, Xplo Eristotle, Greg Taylor,....? ;-)

and speaking of old times, I spotted on Google videos, the ill-fated "Saban
Moon"
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8672964659370242995&q=sailor+moon
and the Sailor Moon AMV "Senshi on Springer"
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1506417021402216888&q=sailor+moon

Stéphane Dumas

jennif...@hotmail.com

Dec 24, 2005, 10:31:58 AM12/24/05

Sailor Terra (Kionon) wrote:
> I recently gave a presentation on the history of usenet. I described
> some of my experience with AFSM in the nineties. Anyone on here still
> from back in the day? I'm curious enough to want to catch up with
> people. I see I'm still on the FAQ. ^_^

Funny, I just popped in for the first time in years and this was one of
the first messages I saw. :)

I was hanging around here around 97/98 (can't remember the exact year)
under the alias of "Sailor Kydria". I was mostly active in the Otaku
Wars! but did make the occasional other post, although not enough to be
memorable. A lot of the names on this thread are familiar, but I
didn't really have much interaction outside of a few people (pick the
shy, self-conscious teenager at the time! :) ) I've been on a real
nostalgic trip recently, so it's nice to see others from "back in the
day" even if I only knew you by name.

So, er ... hi.

Jen
can't be bothered with fancy .sigs anymore.

Al

Dec 24, 2005, 10:55:35 AM12/24/05
cuteswan <cute...@nofoodproduct.yahew.com> wrote:

>Well, I started lurking here in mid-1999 and still think of myself as a
>newbie (even if I feel very old these days).

It's great to hear from all of you again. I found my way here in
1995, loved the debates inspired by SoS, was inspired by Belial to
join the Amichanian cause for a while (not that he needed my help...).

Keep kicking,
Al

Steven Yoruno

Dec 24, 2005, 9:37:05 PM12/24/05
Hey, I still love it. Maybe this isn't an indication, but for the past
couple of weeks I've seen new wallpapers on Animewallpapers.com on the
Sailor Moon subpage.

Aside from that however, it'll never get old for me. There are fans of
Gundam and other more popular anime that it'll never get old for them.
Sailor Moon's the same way for me.

Mord

Dec 26, 2005, 8:35:04 PM12/26/05
And the Luna Pin is still sitting safely in the desk. Too bad I wasn't
regularly stopping by still when the Arty pins were being done.

Mord

Dec 26, 2005, 8:45:16 PM12/26/05
There wasn't an official, official end declaration although when
myself, Kane, and Kobanal withdrew it pretty much ended. With OW!
there was never a too late or too early to join. Fresh blood always
added a measure of life to it.

Mord

Dec 26, 2005, 8:56:42 PM12/26/05
I don't know about the others although Xplo is still a regular on the
#afsm irc channel on esper.net.

Oh hey, I can see the posts I made earlier already. sw33t.

--
Mordenkainen

The Wanderer

Dec 26, 2005, 9:20:47 PM12/26/05

No, I remember a specific announcement, and people shutting things down
and going away even *in*-continuity, and a failed attempt to defy the
announcement and get things going again - but I haven't been able to
find more than one post from the 'announcement' thread on Google Groups.
(Still, the existence of that one post - made, as I said, by Adrian
Tymes - should be enough to confirm that I'm not just imagining things.)

Mord

Dec 26, 2005, 9:46:36 PM12/26/05
That was a lot of people leaving, and the rest pretty much stopping.
No author has the power to officially end the OW!, not even Adrian.
Even if one declares it, it means nothing as soon as the next person
posts an in-continuity thread. Observe.

The Wanderer

Dec 27, 2005, 12:23:12 AM12/27/05
On 12/26/2005 09:46 PM, Mord wrote:

> That was a lot of people leaving, and the rest pretty much stopping

> No author has the power to officially end the OW!, not even Adrian.
> Even if one declares it, it means nothing as soon as the next person
> posts an in-continuity thread. Observe.

Of course, I'm not disputing that. But since (IIRC) multiple people were
postng "clean-up" pieces, with the machinery of the Wars (big space
stations and the like) shutting down for the long term and the last few
stragglers looking around at the empty places they'd been sharing for so
long, well...

If it had revived, as some people tried to do immediately afterwards,
I'd have felt a little miffed but let it go. Since it stuck, however, I
do consider it as being generally valid.

None of which says that the Wars could not be revived, or even begin
again independently. It's just that they *did* end, rather than just
trailing off in neglect - and for a rather long time, at that.

(On quite another subject, please learn to quote.)

DarkSheer

Dec 27, 2005, 9:47:44 AM12/27/05
Lyrical Nanoha wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2005, Sailor Terra (Kionon) wrote:
>
>> Lyrical Nanoha wrote:
>>
>>> There's always lesser known BSSM topics. I wonder how many people
>>> here have seen some of the musicals - I've been involved in the
>>> torrenting of several of them, mainly the newer ones.
>>
>> Never seen any of them, actually. But then I don't think the question
>> is how many people here have seen anything, but rather the question
>> is, how many people are here PERIOD.
>
> Prolly not too many. Maybe a handful of us and most of us have been
> here the better part of a decade, myself included.

Aye, I've been here for the better part of a decade. Though I hardly ever
posted, yet always read.

>> I've been looking back, and until my
>> topic, there was something like ten posts a month, if that. I used to
>> be on AFSM religiously. I think I can spare at least a post a day.
>
> Heh. I know what you mean.

It seemed like it was going to pick up again after PGSM started, but then it
dwindled again.

>> I still happen to have my VKLL fansubs. I need to replace them, but
>> I'll never throw them away. All though deteriorated, I like having
>> the physical object to connect me to the past. It may seem odd to
>> some, but back in the nineties, as you who have responded know, we
>> didn't have broadband, let alone peer-2-peer or torrenting. Anime
>> fandom has changed so drastically in the last ten years and I guess
>> I just like having the VHS tape in case I need to whip it out and
>> smack a twelve year old narutard on the head when he complains his
>> 22kb/s torrent download is too slow. ^_~
>
> LOL. 22 K/s slow? I can tell you this, 22 K/s is quite normal for
> me and I am fully capable of pulling 190. I download from a lot of
> low-demand torrents.

Hey, I'm still on dial up. No broadband in my area. Was thinking about
that verizon wireless highspeed internet. I've heard some good things and
bad.

> And I've dealt with twelve-year-old chumps who insist on getting their
> Magiranger fix from me, instead of going to a potentially faster
> torrent, and complain when I don't have it the day it comes out. I
> could prolly take my VKLL Stars and S and use them as a LART for
> lusers like that. XD

Good seeing you all again. I hope it continues.

Ryan (luna pin is still on jacket lapel)

Mord

Dec 27, 2005, 12:51:48 PM12/27/05

The Wanderer wrote:
> On 12/26/2005 09:46 PM, Mord wrote:
<snip>

> (On quite another subject, please learn to quote.)

The proper thing to learn in my case is how to use google groups. I
had presumed it was quoting the posts I was responding to, obviously it
was too late by the time I saw what it was doing. :P

--
Mordenkainen

The Wanderer

Dec 27, 2005, 7:07:13 PM12/27/05

<chuckle> 'Kay then. Sorry for the tone, but I've seen so many people
not quoting lately that it's gotten a bit irritating.

For future reference, in case you haven't found out about it yet, be
aware that there are other downsides to using Google Groups to read
Usenet (instead of, say, as an archive service, the way it was
originally intended back in the days of DejaNews) - notably 1) the way
it strips out [square brackets comments] in subject lines (including,
relevantly, the [OW!] tags) when viewing and when replying, and 2) the
way it collapses quoted text and thus renders normal spoiler space
useless (although that's of very limited relevance on this particular
group). Many people still use it anyway - too many, in my opinion,
although that's another topic - but for serious use it can be rather
problematic.

Mord

Dec 28, 2005, 2:38:13 AM12/28/05

The Wanderer wrote:
> On 12/27/2005 12:51 PM, Mord wrote:
> > The proper thing to learn in my case is how to use google groups. I
> > had presumed it was quoting the posts I was responding to, obviously
> > it was too late by the time I saw what it was doing. :P
>
> <chuckle> 'Kay then. Sorry for the tone, but I've seen so many people
> not quoting lately that it's gotten a bit irritating.
>
> For future reference, in case you haven't found out about it yet, be
> aware that there are other downsides to using Google Groups to read
> Usenet (instead of, say, as an archive service, the way it was
> originally intended back in the days of DejaNews) - notably 1) the way
> it strips out [square brackets comments] in subject lines (including,
> relevantly, the [OW!] tags) when viewing and when replying, and 2) the
> way it collapses quoted text and thus renders normal spoiler space
> useless (although that's of very limited relevance on this particular
> group). Many people still use it anyway - too many, in my opinion,
> although that's another topic - but for serious use it can be rather
> problematic.

Yeah, I've already hit the [ ] problem when I posted an OW! post on the
26th. I'm going to have to see if I can find some other way to post,
otherwise I might have to use an (OW!) tag for a while or something.
x_x

--
Mordenkainen

The Wanderer

Dec 29, 2005, 10:52:58 AM12/29/05
On 12/28/2005 02:38 AM, Mord wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:

>> For future reference, in case you haven't found out about it yet,
>> be aware that there are other downsides to using Google Groups to
>> read Usenet (instead of, say, as an archive service, the way it was
>> originally intended back in the days of DejaNews) - notably 1) the
>> way it strips out [square brackets comments] in subject lines
>> (including, relevantly, the [OW!] tags) when viewing and when
>> replying, and 2) the way it collapses quoted text and thus renders
>> normal spoiler space useless (although that's of very limited
>> relevance on this particular group). Many people still use it
>> anyway - too many, in my opinion, although that's another topic -
>> but for serious use it can be rather problematic.
>
> Yeah, I've already hit the [ ] problem when I posted an OW! post on
> the 26th. I'm going to have to see if I can find some other way to
> post, otherwise I might have to use an (OW!) tag for a while or
> something. x_x

For what it's worth, in case it makes any difference to you: the [square
brackets] are only stripped out when a post is viewed or replied to by
Google Groups users. As long as they are there in the Subject line when
*sending* a post, they will be visible to people who read Usenet using
pretty much any other service.

(IOW: Your original [0W!] post in the current thread did in fact have
the brackets tag just fine, although no one using Google Groups will be
able to see them.)

Kane Magus

Feb 16, 2006, 9:05:59 PM2/16/06
Sailor Terra (Kionon) wrote:
> I recently gave a presentation on the history of usenet. I described
> some of my experience with AFSM in the nineties. Anyone on here still
> from back in the day? I'm curious enough to want to catch up with
> people. I see I'm still on the FAQ. ^_^

I'm still around. If, that is, you define "still around" as "still subscribed
to the newsgroup even though the last time I checked it was several months ago".
The fact that I'm only *now* responding to this thread should give you an idea
of how often I check in. ^^; DigiPen is kicking my ass something fierce.

--

Kane Magus
http://kane-magus.livejournal.com/

Kane Magus

Feb 16, 2006, 9:13:04 PM2/16/06

Yeah, the "deathblow" and all that. ;p

For what it's worth, I still have 29 unread OW! posts from the past month or
three sitting here in the OW! subfolder of my inbox. I haven't actually read
them yet because I don't have the frickin' time, but I also haven't just marked
them all as read and summarily forgotten about them either because, you know, I
might *want* to read them at some point when I have a spare moment. >_>

Adrian Tymes

Feb 19, 2006, 11:30:43 PM2/19/06
Kane Magus wrote:
> Mord wrote:
>> There wasn't an official, official end declaration although when
>> myself, Kane, and Kobanal withdrew it pretty much ended.

Some might debate the "officialness" of it. Some of us tried to pretty
strongly hint that, if no replies were coming, ours were the official
end posts. (Which was as close as we could get, since no one officially
"owned" OW! enough to completely officially shut it down even in the
face of new posts.) And until the recent spate of new replies, they
were the end.

*puts back a certain red-and-blue, currently shaped like a referee-like
shirt* :P

> For what it's worth, I still have 29 unread OW! posts from the past
> month or three sitting here in the OW! subfolder of my inbox. I haven't
> actually read them yet because I don't have the frickin' time, but I
> also haven't just marked them all as read and summarily forgotten about
> them either because, you know, I might *want* to read them at some point
> when I have a spare moment. >_>

Ah. So you didn't deliberately lose your faction?

swlucky

Feb 20, 2006, 1:27:17 PM2/20/06
I am in a similar situation. Technically I am still subscribed to the
newsgroup, but I might go for months at a time without looking at it.

Dimp

Mar 8, 2006, 12:43:38 PM3/8/06
>>I recently gave a presentation on the history of usenet. I described
some of my experience with AFSM in the nineties. Anyone on here still
from back in the day? I'm curious enough to want to catch up with
people. I see I'm still on the FAQ. ^_^ <<

Heh it's funny seeing some of the old names! My first post here was in
Aug 1998. I loved visiting here! I didn't get the Luna pin but I have
the Arti pin on my bookshelf behind me.

Back in 2002, I ran the anime club for 8th graders at my school (I was
a computer teacher there). We showed Tenchi Muyo, Ruroni Kenshin,
Evangelion and Sailor Stars there. ALL of viewings were from subbed
tapes I owned or DVDs I rented (no dubs allowed!!). It was a blast!
Some of those in the club have that moved on to high school actually
picked up Japanese language classes because of their interest in our
old anime club. I haven't seen those students in several years now and
I hope they are still interested in and learning Japanese language and
culture! Since then, I've moved to another state so I'm no longer
corrupting young minds to the joys of anime! ^_^

Dimp