Pop-tarts

Alain Crevier

Dec 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/14/96

I hope all of you love Pop-tarts...

Me I bought 6 packs...
And you????

----
AC

MichaelF2

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

I bought two packs. Not very much, but it's what I had the budget for. :(

Smokey

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

6 packs. 1 for me and the rest went in the food drive barrel (makes me
feel all warm and fuzzy inside).
--

Smokey Z.
smo...@worldnet.att.net

rr...@aol.com

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

In article <32B326...@aei.ca>, Alain Crevier <po...@aei.ca> writes:

>I hope all of you love Pop-tarts...

I don't like Strawberry Pop-tarts! But, I but five boxes from three
different stores or a total of 15 boxes. That is 120 Pop-tarts! The
things I'll do for Sailor Moon.

--The Moonlight Knight

Istanis

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

I got five...and my girlfriend got five...*sigh*
Where do you people get the money?? :(

From one who....
definitely can't afford this Sailormoon addiction :P

--

Bernard Tang
bern...@seas.ucla.edu

Ken Arromdee

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

Frankly, I think the whole Pop-Tart idea is supremely idiotic. I never
thought _anyone_ would buy into it (no pun intended), but I suppose I
overestimated the intelligence of the average Sailor Moon fan.
--
Ken Arromdee (arro...@randomc.com, karr...@nyx.nyx.net,
http://www.randomc.com/~arromdee)

"2000 members of the vegetable kingdom and I have to work with _tomatoes_!"

Andrea Doolan

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

mich...@aol.com (MichaelF2) wrote:
>I bought two packs. Not very much, but it's what I had the budget for. :(

Yeah, me too. Actually, it's all my local store had, and my dad
probably wouldn't have let me buy more anyway.

* Andrea Doolan *
* Lover of Star Trek, Sailor Moon, X-Files, *
* Disney, & Gen X. *
* Proud resident of Canada *
* "What day, what month, what YEAR did this *
* happen?!?" - Sailor Mars, episode 83 *
* aj...@king.igs.net *

Cherubae

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

how sad....I went and bought 31 boxes. One store is now completely out,
while another I left 10 or so boxes behind. And you guys are complainig
about 5 boxes?! And you call yourselves SOS supporters.... I plan on
giving them away as xmas gifts or sending them to the local food
drives. Tax deductable that way!

([8]-)
Cherubae

me hp
http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/9895/index.html

Charles Liu

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/15/96

I went pretty bonkers about it. I bought 12 packs at one local
supermarket (which emptied the shelf of Strawberry Pop Tarts) and then
went to another market and got 6 packs of the double sized ones that had
12 in each one.

It worked out really well at the 2nd market because there were some kids
doing a food drive and I was able to donate all the Pop Tarts to them. I
sure can't eat that many! :)

Sailor Sinistra

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

Alain Crevier <po...@aei.ca> wrote:

>I hope all of you love Pop-tarts...

> Me I bought 6 packs...
> And you????

Nine packs. It's Sunday night and I still haven't finished the first
pack yet. The rest are going to a food drive tomorrow or I'll never
eat strawberry anything ever again.
>----
> AC

Samuel Crider

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

Brad Lascelle <pa...@huron.net> wrote:

: Hehehe... well, they're not rocket scientists, Ken. Turning on
: a computer and getting hooked up to the 'Net doesn't exactly require
: much intelligence to pull off.

Mr. Lascelle, your overbearing snotty attitude does the Sailor Moon
Fan community no good service.

Your vendettas and prejudices seriously taint any value you have as
a source of information. I'm always quite skeptical about any thing
I hear from someone with as big a chip on his shoulder as you cart around.

--
Samuel Lewis Crider/allo...@mcs.net: www.mcs.net/~allosaur/home.html
Anime Central Convention: www.mcs.net/~docangst/3w/ac/

Sailor Hydrus

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/16/96

rr...@aol.com wrote:

> I don't like Strawberry Pop-tarts! But, I but five boxes from three
> different stores or a total of 15 boxes. That is 120 Pop-tarts! The
> things I'll do for Sailor Moon.
>
> --The Moonlight Knight

10 boxes. Same store. All unfrosted. They called me a Pop Tart Freak! :(

--
Xem Dragon Sailor Hydrus
=/=\UDIC/=\= S O S

http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/m/mpgemma/home/home.html

StarChibi

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

Well, I haven't bought any. (Please don't attack) I'm saving my money to
order SM merchandise, plus I still have to pay my cousin back who promised
to buy me SM stuff in HK (I told her to go crazy, just as long as the
customs officials aren't gonna be suspicious of the huge bulk of luggage).
Personally, I don't think SM will be back on TV in America, but if I'm
wrong in the future, I don't mind anyone saying I told you so because I'll
be grinning from ear to ear when I _do_ start hauling my butt downstairs
at six am in the morning to watch it.
-StarChibi :)

Jon P. Ogden

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

Tut tut, Samuel. Some day Brad will get a life and stop sharing the state
of his navel lint with the rest of us. But right now he does provide a
useful function. Every time he says something, I bet on the opposite (like
Terri Hawkes skipping out last weekend) and that means that we can probably
look forward to more episodes of Sailor Moon in the U.S...probably as a
direct result of the S.O.S. campaign.

Samuel Crider <allo...@MCS.COM> wrote in article
<5959e4$2...@Jupiter.Mcs.Net>...

Rick Sammartino

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

Brad Lascelle wrote:

> Ken Arromdee <karr...@nyx.cs.du.edu> Writes:
>
> > Frankly, I think the whole Pop-Tart idea is supremely idiotic. I
> > never thought _anyone_ would buy into it (no pun intended), but I
> > suppose I overestimated the intelligence of the average Sailor Moon
> > fan.
>
> Hehehe... well, they're not rocket scientists, Ken. Turning on
> a computer and getting hooked up to the 'Net doesn't exactly require
> much intelligence to pull off. And, if a fancy organization is gonna
> come along with a catchy acronym and whip up a tall tale about how the
> North American television industry can be manipulated by a one-day
> splurge on Kellogg's pop tarts... well, you're going to have a lot of
> giddy Moonies spending their Christmas cash on processed breakfast
> food instead of actual presents for family members.

You know Brad, I think you like being a jerk. You put down every little
thing that goes on here that YOU don't want something to do with. Don't
you understand that things like this are an EFFORT by the people that
want to do SOMETHING. You know 'effort', it's the opposite of sitting
around staring at the wall hoping something will fix itself. It doesn't
matter if the pop tart idea has any effect or not, the point is that
the people who care, TRIED.
--
Rick : *** Card Traders ***
Calgary, Alberta : please go to

Lloyd Gayman

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

Alain Crevier wrote:

> I hope all of you love Pop-tarts...
>
> Me I bought 6 packs...
> And you????
>
> ----
> AC

None, zero, zilch, negative, nil.

Crimson Jacket

sali...@sprintmail.com

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

oh joy! another person who halled her rear out of bed at 6 in the
moring!!! I congradulate you

([8]-)
Cherubae

Hagbard Celine

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96
to j...@rimworlds.com

"Jon P. Ogden" <j...@rimworlds.com> wrote:
>Tut tut, Samuel. Some day Brad will get a life and stop sharing the state
>of his navel lint with the rest of us. But right now he does provide a
>useful function. Every time he says something, I bet on the opposite (like
>Terri Hawkes skipping out last weekend) and that means that we can probably
>look forward to more episodes of Sailor Moon in the U.S...probably as a
>direct result of the S.O.S. campaign.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
aka "delusions of grandeur".
I've got nothing against them, but I distance myself from things when they
are time-wasters. Time not spent promoting pop-tarts can instead be used
to do usefull stuff. And money ($19.99) saved from not buying pop-tarts can
instead be used to pay for Comixx subscription. And so on. If you want, go
ahead. For me, its zero sum, time wasted is time lost doing other things.
The thing I see as making the most difference a few months from now is Comixx,
non-US contracts with DIC, not S.O.S. This thread, and much of SOS, seems to
me (opinion) like a lot of people "exercising" their delusions of grandeur,
strutting their big egos, and posturing/positioning. I don't mean to be
derogatory, as this is what happens to most large, internet-localized
"orgonizations". For influence, "if it exists solely on the internet, it
may as well not exist." If you read this far, maybe you should seek psychiatric
help.
---
HC/LDD

Cernovog

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96
to Brad Lascelle

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Brad Lascelle wrote:

> Hehehe... well, they're not rocket scientists, Ken. Turning on
> a computer and getting hooked up to the 'Net doesn't exactly require
> much intelligence to pull off. And, if a fancy organization is gonna
> come along with a catchy acronym and whip up a tall tale about how the
> North American television industry can be manipulated by a one-day
> splurge on Kellogg's pop tarts...

All this coming from the man who posted this not too long ago:

"DiC has said, "If you want to produce more episodes then you can do
36 but, we won't pay for them." Now we have to find (to quote Randy
Zalken of Kaleidoscope Entertainment Inc.) 'creative ways to finance
new episodes'.

Towards this end we are turning to the fans for support. If people
are truly serious about seeing new dubbed episodes they are
encouraged to send at least $10 to the address at the bottom of this
post."

> There's a sucker born every minute, Ken. And probably a Moonie
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> born every hour. The sucker to Moonie ratio is still about 60:1 at
> least, so there's gonna be a lot of gullible SM fans out there that
> are going to lap up whatever wild logic is tossed their way.

In retrospect, I wonder if you were thinking this when you made that
original post about your... how shall we call it? Scheme?
So, what exactly are you saying Brad? It's okay when *you* ask Sailor
Moon fans to blindly throw their money into a dubious project, but... it's
not okay when SOS asks for money to be spent on something a little more
concrete?
If SOS' procott is as successful as your campaign to fund the dubbing
of more episodes, at least moonies will be able to walk away with two
boxes of Pop Tarts for their money -- something concrete. That's more than
what we can say for Moonies who invested in your original idea.

"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and
besides, the pig likes it."
--George Bernard Shaw

Ross Ridge

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

Brad Lascelle <pa...@huron.net> wrote:
> Hehehe... well, they're not rocket scientists, Ken. Turning on
>a computer and getting hooked up to the 'Net doesn't exactly require
>much intelligence to pull off.

Samuel Crider <allo...@MCS.COM> wrote:
>Mr. Lascelle, your overbearing snotty attitude does the Sailor Moon
>Fan community no good service.

His attitude does it more service than buying pop-tarts does.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rri...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/

Samuel Crider

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/17/96

Brad Lascelle <pa...@huron.net> wrote:

Please see previous posts for the entirety of the article being referred
to below.

: The first rule of Usenet, Mr. Crider, is that you should be
: downright skeptical about anything anyone says or puts forward... that
: goes for myself included.

By invoking generalities you are attempting to weasel away from my main
point: that *you* specifically cause one to *especially* doubt the
particular information that *you* present.

: As far as SOS is concerned, I could care less about vendettas
: or personal grudges...

Your actions prove otherwise. Since for some time before the pop-tart affair
you have certainly acted like some one with a personal conflict with SOS and
attacked them at every opportunity. Your manner of repeating your
criticisms again and again givens the strong suggestion there is something
more behind your words. Maybe there isn't, but that's the impression you
put across while trying to be "direct."

:I simply requested that people evaluate their
:decision before committing to a purchase.

And I simply refer anyone reading this to Mr.Lascelle's previous post,
specifically sections such as the "sucker born every minute" one and let
people decide for themselves if he made a simply "request" or whether he
was making cheap-shots.

:If you would like to
:counter that with some insight on how that's not a direct approach to
:take, go right ahead. I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Sarcasm such as calling SOS "a fancy organization... with a
catchy acronym" communicates no information, just bile. If you have, as you
say, an "opinion button" I suggest you make it more clear what state it is in
at any given moment.

As for directness, I have no difficulty telling when a poster such as
Jerry Shaw is presenting objective information, and when he's expressing
opinion.

To state doubts about how the pop-tart plan could possibly work is one
thing. To accuse SOS of duplicity and to call pop-tart buyers fools,is very
different thing. They are two very different attitudes. You act as if you
can jump from one to the other without them affecting each other.
It doesn't matter how "direct" you are in being in "objective" mode, if your
"opinion" mode is so strongly biased without sufficient explanation...

Samuel Crider

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

Drew Hamilton <dr...@drew-hamilton.net> wrote:

: At least Mr. Lascelle tries to benefit North American Sailor Moon by
: bringing information (and hope) to its fans, and keeping contact with
: the right people, and generally having *good*, *workable*, well-thought-
: out ideas about how we might see more Sailor Moon.

Could you provide an example of one such an idea he's presented?

Drew Hamilton

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

In article <5959e4$2...@jupiter.mcs.net>,

Samuel Crider <allo...@MCS.COM> wrote:
>Brad Lascelle <pa...@huron.net> wrote:
>
>: Hehehe... well, they're not rocket scientists, Ken. Turning on
>: a computer and getting hooked up to the 'Net doesn't exactly require
>: much intelligence to pull off.
>
>Mr. Lascelle, your overbearing snotty attitude does the Sailor Moon
>Fan community no good service.

In this case, Brad might have been overbearing and snotty, but I think
he's right. Do you honestly think that Kellogg (is that who makes
Pop-tarts? I can't remember) is going to notice this "procott"?

When I worked in a supermarket, we would easily sell 500 boxes of
Pop-tarts on a Saturday. And that was a fairly small, local
supermarket. Do you think the extra 5 or 10 boxes of pop-tarts
that you've spent your hard-earned money on are going to be noticed?
No. Even if one supermarked out of every 10 (a *very* generous
estimate) had 20 extra boxes of pop-tarts sold on Saturday (once
again. *very* generous), you'd only see a 0.4% rise in sales.
(Someone correct me if I've forgotten how to do math).

Thad is not going to be noticed by *anybody*, except maybe your dentist
when he gets his $200-$300 per filling that he makes.

At least Mr. Lascelle tries to benefit North American Sailor Moon by
bringing information (and hope) to its fans, and keeping contact with
the right people, and generally having *good*, *workable*, well-thought-
out ideas about how we might see more Sailor Moon.

- Drew

george hong

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

In article <32B714...@cadvision.com>, samm...@cadvision.com says...

>You know Brad, I think you like being a jerk. You put down every little
>thing that goes on here that YOU don't want something to do with. Don't
>you understand that things like this are an EFFORT by the people that
>want to do SOMETHING. You know 'effort', it's the opposite of sitting
>around staring at the wall hoping something will fix itself. It doesn't
>matter if the pop tart idea has any effect or not, the point is that
>the people who care, TRIED.

>Rick : *** Card Traders ***

Yes Brad is pretty harsh on SOS. I think he is still a student so maybe this
little speech I got from my boss at work will be enlightening. "If you think
there is a problem that can be corrected then come to me with a proposal. I
will pitch it to management. Otherwise you are just whining."

Peace on Earth everybody!

--
http://www.io.org/~gjhong/

Thunderbird

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

> You know Brad, I think you like being a jerk. You put down every little
> thing that goes on here that YOU don't want something to do with. Don't
> you understand that things like this are an EFFORT by the people that
> want to do SOMETHING. You know 'effort', it's the opposite of sitting
> around staring at the wall hoping something will fix itself. It doesn't
> matter if the pop tart idea has any effect or not, the point is that
> the people who care, TRIED.

Sides you CAN always eat the pop-tarts, it's not all bad, even if this
doesn't help in the end. (Personally I don't think DIC will ever get it
through their pointed heads that so many people like the series, even if it
is so cut up after editting.)

--
--The great Thunderbird

The biggest Mercury fan on either side of the nega-verse
"You must bring us a shrubbery"--The knights who say....Ni

Brad Lascelle

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96
to j...@rimworlds.com

Jon P. Ogden <j...@rimworlds.com> Writes:

> Tut tut, Samuel. Some day Brad will get a life and stop sharing the
> state of his navel lint with the rest of us. But right now he does
> provide a useful function. Every time he says something, I bet on the
> opposite (like Terri Hawkes skipping out last weekend) and that means
> that we can probably look forward to more episodes of Sailor Moon in
> the U.S...probably as a direct result of the S.O.S. campaign.

Actually, I would very much enjoy reading a polished paper
regarding this ideology, Jon... I'm sure it would prove rather
enriching and enlightening for us all. Maybe you and Samuel and some
of the other naysayers would come up with useful and well-worded and
insightful messages, instead of cluttering up this newsgroup with
unnecessary insults and personal attacks.

Surprisingly enough, in any critical assessment I've made of
the SOS campaign, I've always discussed specific points, issues, and
instead of actually dealing with these issues in a constructive and
effective manner, you seek to side-step them and respond with
derogatory remarks and personal insults. And, that's not something
that's helping out this fanbase, either.

If you bothered to read through the majority of the latest crop
of messages, you would have read that Terri Hawkes had indeed
cancelled late last Thursday, before phoning up Steve Friday morning
and passing along word that she had freed up time in her schedule. I
was doing the fans a public service by passing along advance notice at
the request of the voice cast, as it would have at least given advance
notice to some of the fans that Terri had a schedule conflict and
wouldn't be appearing. Thankfully, she was able to attend and it
worked out well for everyone.

If you've got a problem with me trying to keep the fans
informed beforehand, well, sorry, that's a priority for me... keeping
the fanbase informed has been a personal obligation of mine since
breaking their spirits last March with the news that their favorite
show was being taken off the air... and any information or opinions I
do pass along are strictly what I feel to be in their best interests,
and if you'd like to discuss ANY little detail of information with me
at length, well feel free to pipe over an E-Mail because I'll be happy
to answer it.

There's one thing I do agree with you on... there WILL be new
episodes down the road, however the decision to bring the series will
have very little to do with the SOS movement... a campaign which has
sadly overestimated their sway of influence.

With rash statements from the head organizers to the extent of
"we have to keep in mind... that we are the largest campaign ever...
in the history of television... to save an animated series... or a
children's series... or a syndicated series... no one has received as
much support from fans than us", they've lost sight of the overall
picture and instead have fallen in love with the 'novelty' of the
campaign.

They've generated a lot of publicity and gathered a lot of
signatures, and for that I congratulate them... however, they should
have just been content with that and patiently waited out the storm.
If they had been a little more informed and aware about the situation,
they could have saved the fans of Sailor Moon a lot of needless
purchases last weekend in a movement, which, in itself was
disorganized.

I've lost track of the number of people who wound up buying
frosted strawberry pop tarts when they should have bought unfrosted...
or Canadians who participated in the procott without realizing that
their contributions wouldn't even be registered... these are details
which should have been dealt with beforehand.

And, well, if you'd like to look past all that, and simply
admonish and toss insults my way, well, you can waste your time with
such trivialities if they'll make you feel better. I'll just keep
right on trying to keep the fans of Sailor Moon informed as best as
possible, and continue to be honest with them to the best of my
ability.

-- Brad Lascelle <pa...@huron.net>

* New Dubbed Sailor Moon Episodes On The Way For Summer '97?

Samuel Crider

Brad Lascelle

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96
to dr...@drew-hamilton.net

Drew Hamilton <dr...@drew-hamilton.net> Writes:

> Even if one supermarked out of every 10 (a *very* generous estimate)
> had 20 extra boxes of pop-tarts sold on Saturday (once again. *very*
> generous), you'd only see a 0.4% rise in sales. (Someone correct me
> if I've forgotten how to do math).

> That is not going to be noticed by *anybody*, except maybe your

> dentist when he gets his $200-$300 per filling that he makes.

With regards to the procott, it's also something that's very
vague... SOS is hoping that their procott will register a minute
'blip' in sales for the specific UPC code of their poptart product
some two to three months from now... and even that isn't going to
produce some hard, concrete figures they can tout around to the
advertisers they were planning to reach in their plug in AdWeek
Magazine.

And, Kellogg's is a company that makes 'net' revenues of almost
$800 million annually. The procott itself was mismanaged on the
frosting and international issues discussed earlier. And, Sailor Moon
wasn't even yanked off the air due to lack of advertiser support from
breakfast food companies, either. They'll advertise in the same
timeslots for children's programming... regardless of whether the show
that's being aired is Sailor Moon or Big Bad Beetleborgs.

Finally, I'm being direct and honest with the fans here by
saying that the procott is a meaningless exercise as far as DiC and
all of the other major players are concerned. And, I also don't make
a policy of spreading false rumours or fostering hopes without good
reason, and there's a perfectly solid explanation behind anything and
everything I post. I don't go around starting threads regarding 'new
episodes on the way for summer 1997' or include countdowns in my sigs
for kicks.

One thing I will own up to is that my earlier comments to Ken
WERE on the arrogant side... sadly, I'm not immune to the concept of
frustration. I don't think anybody is really.

-- Brad Lascelle <pa...@huron.net>

* MixxZine Opens Up Its VIP Subscription Lines

Brad Lascelle

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

Cernovog <cern...@eberus.buf.servtech.com> Writes:

> In retrospect, I wonder if you were thinking this when you made that
> original post about your... how shall we call it? Scheme?

> So, what exactly are you saying Brad? It's okay when *you* ask Sailor
> Moon fans to blindly throw their money into a dubious project, but...
> it's not okay when SOS asks for money to be spent on something a
> little more concrete?

Well, with regards to that arrangement back in late August, I'm
glad you mentioned it. A number of people like to dig that 48-hour
event out of the closet as if it's some kind of skeleton or something,
even though that arrangement was being wholly tackled by the voice
cast... it wasn't something that I myself was affiliated with. I was
simply the courier of information just as I am for a lot of other
SM-related bits of information. I forwarded around the MixxZine press
release last Friday as well, although I'm not affiliated with them,
either.

With regards to last August, I'd like to point out that as far
as Steve Mittler and the voice cast knew, they had a firm arrangement
with DiC in place to seek out investment for additional episodes.
Unfortunately, they weren't dealing directly with DiC on the matter...
their lines of communication at the time was being routed through
Randy Zalken of Kaleidoscope Entertainment and through Nicole Thuault
of Optimum Productions. And, the accuracy of the information was
being distorted and convoluted along this chain of communication, and
that led to some extensive confusion... a lot more commotion went on
behind-the-scenes then one might realize.

While not the same kind of situation as SOS' overestimation of
THEIR influence on the fate of new episodes, both Randy and Nicole
were in similar kinds of binds. Randy wanted new episodes to satisfy
the fury of demand up in Canada but couldn't directly deliver them
himself... and Nicole wanted to simply 'project the image' that she
was a 'player' in the whole situation.

As far as Optimum is concerned, the studio has essentially been
shut down since the dubbing production of Sailor Moon ceased early
last October. They own no studio facilities of their own and Nicole
went so far as to suggest that Toei and DiC had dissolved their
licensing agreement back in October over a contractual contingency,
which was essentially a bald-faced lie.

Needless to say, most of the people are going directly to the
source for their information and discussion now, instead of putting
their faith in others to do their talking for them.

Of course, that still doesn't change the fact that going to the
fanbase for cash handouts for investor clout was essentially a pretty
stupid idea... even if it was a decision that was perceived to be in
the fans' best interests. Anyone who did donate cash had their
investments refunded promptly... which is more than I can say for the
folks who went out to buy pop tarts on a whim this past weekend.
Regardless of the sensibilities behind what the VAs tried to do, it
was STILL a more direct means of 'financially' showing one's support
than buying boxes of pop tarts will ever be.

It was hardly a scheme... and it was certainly not a venture
that I had any stake of involvement in. There was no direct intention
to mislead the fans to any degree. It was an unfortunate situation of
miscommunication that simply shouldn't have progressed that far.

Although, the reaction to those events back in August did
essentially spell an end to releasing any kind of 'specific' details
regarding ongoing events in public channels. Nobody wants to deal
with that kind of public backlash again, which is why vague details
and generalities are the best you can expect for some time to come...
as frustrating as that may be.

Janice Sonski may have been making some false generalizations
when stating that the Internet SM fanbase was 'irrational' and 'unable
to please' back on Labor Day weekend, but part of those impressions
certainly ring true with regards to some individuals, and that's why
caution and patience are now the names of the game.

-- Brad Lascelle <pa...@huron.net>

* FSC Fandub Video Clips Now Available Online

Cernovog

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96
to Brad Lascelle

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Brad Lascelle wrote:

> frosting and international issues discussed earlier. And, Sailor Moon
> wasn't even yanked off the air due to lack of advertiser support from
> breakfast food companies, either. They'll advertise in the same
> timeslots for children's programming... regardless of whether the show
> that's being aired is Sailor Moon or Big Bad Beetleborgs.

Your arguement here is flawed. The issue is not whether or not Sailor
Moon was yanked for lack of support from adveriser X or advertiser Y. SOS
is attempting to show that the U.S. Sailor Moon fan base is large enough
and avid enough to support advertisers who support their show.
It is an attempt to show that they love their show so much, they'll
rabidly consume any inane product advertised. Frankly, I believe this is a
fine seling point for the show. As you so eagerly (and often) point out,
it doesn't win any points on the IQ test, but the bottom line is, if it
gets the show back and if it stimulates advertising support, it's
accomplished its purpose. (I can just see you cringing, Brad.)

> I also don't make
> a policy of spreading false rumours or fostering hopes without good
> reason,

I have some old skeletons of yours in my closet. Want I should bring
them out now? Just kidding.

> One thing I will own up to is that my earlier comments to Ken
> WERE on the arrogant side... sadly, I'm not immune to the concept of
> frustration. I don't think anybody is really.

And maybe calling the voice actors attempt to fund the show a "scheme"
was a bit extreme and uncalled for on my part. Somebody throw some kiss
and make up music in the CD player!

The Evil Professor Chronos

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

Brad Lascelle <pa...@huron.net> wrote:

> As far as Optimum is concerned, the studio has essentially been
> shut down since the dubbing production of Sailor Moon ceased early
> last October. They own no studio facilities of their own

[Diabolical cackle] Well, if they like, they can always come and
record the next 65 (or whatever) down here in the Negabasement if
DIC does decide to give us another season. :)

| Mark S Sprague, aka The Evil Professor Chronos |
| Still the Official Head of R&D for the Negaverse |
Current Projects: Finishing Touches on Fandub, Catch Up on Mail

Brad Lascelle

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96
to cern...@eberus.buf.servtech.com

Cernovog <cern...@eberus.buf.servtech.com> Writes:

> SOS is attempting to show that the U.S. Sailor Moon fan base is large
> enough and avid enough to support advertisers who support their show.
> It is an attempt to show that they love their show so much, they'll
> rabidly consume any inane product advertised. Frankly, I believe this

> is a fine selling point for the show. As you so eagerly (and often)

> point out, it doesn't win any points on the IQ test, but the bottom
> line is, if it gets the show back and if it stimulates advertising
> support, it's accomplished its purpose. (I can just see you cringing,
> Brad.)

Ummm... actually, no... I'm not cringing at all.

One 24-hour procott is not going to show the advertisers that
the fanbase for Sailor Moon would buy more poptarts on a consistent
basis than a kid who watches Power Rangers Zeo or Bobby's World.
It would just show them that a bunch of fans are so outrageously
crazed about the departure of their show, that they'll do anything SOS
tells them to do because it 'might' help.

That would have been if the procott was handled WELL... the
advertisers aren't even going to know about it. What the heck is an
ad in AdWeek going to tell them? We'll be making a 'blip' in
Kellogg's sales charts... maybe... in two months time. How the heck
is a 'blip' supposed to raise advertiser confidence? They won't care.
There's nothing consistent showing that SM fans would buy poptarts on
a regular basis to support their show. It's nothing... and that
doesn't even include the frosting issue or the support outside the US
issue. It was an uninformed gesture of desperation. That's all it
was. A 'blip' will not foster advertising support.

The show will likely find its way back to the small screen...
however, it will have little to do with the procott and it will have
little to do with SOS. It will be something that would have happened
in just a matter of time... and if SOS wants to claim some kind of
big dramatic victory because of it, well, so be it. But the same
thing would have transpired had SOS never gotten involved.

And, because of the info I've passed along to you privately,
Cernovog, you're very much aware of why the procott had no bearing on
the overall situation, don't you? :)

Considering that Sailor Moon's future in North America has
never looked brighter, it almost seems like a tired exercise to debate
semantics at this point in time. :)

> I have some old skeletons of yours in my closet. Want I should bring
> them out now? Just kidding.

Hehehe... I think we've already heard my explanation about the
Wizard thing back in August. And, that wasn't MY skeleton, either. :)

-- Brad Lascelle <pa...@huron.net>

* New Dubbed Sailor Moon Episodes On The Way For Summer '97?

Brad Lascelle

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96
to crs...@inforamp.net

Mark Sprague <crs...@inforamp.net> Writes:

> [Diabolical cackle] Well, if they like, they can always come and
> record the next 65 (or whatever) down here in the Negabasement if
> DIC does decide to give us another season. :)

Hehehe... that's a friendly offer there, Mark, however I think
DiC would rather choose a dubbing method that's a little more
professional and reknowned than your spiffy Kitchensync set up.

As for what production facilities DiC would seek out in the
Toronto area remains to be seen... while the Rhythmoband technology is
half-way decent, it can be improved upon and it's unique to Optimum
themselves (although, I don't know how far maintaining a dubbing
technology without an actual studio will get them).

Of course, there are quite a wide number of other production
facilities which are available besides them, and it'll be interesting
to see what route they'd take. Same thing goes for a prospective
production of the SMR Movie... odds are the parties interested in that
venture have their own set ideas about how and where they'd like to
dub it as well.

-- Brad Lascelle <pa...@huron.net>

* Dubbed SMR Movie On The Way For Spring '97?

Brad Lascelle

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96
to bbr...@aloha.net

Thunderbird <bbr...@aloha.net> Writes:

> (Personally I don't think DIC will ever get it through their pointed
> heads that so many people like the series, even if it is so cut up
> after editting.)

I think you should have a little more faith in them than that.
DiC wouldn't have invested a whopping $7 million in the Sailor Moon
franchise in the first place if they didn't believe it could thrive in
a North American marketplace.

DiC's been tackling more behind-the-scenes than one might
initially realize. The assumption that DiC doesn't care at all and
isn't doing a thing to get Sailor Moon back on the air is somewhat of
a misplaced notion.

-- Brad Lascelle <pa...@huron.net>

* FSC Fandub Video Clips Now Available Online

Brad Lascelle

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96
to gjh...@io.org

George Hong <gjh...@io.org> Writes:

> Yes Brad is pretty harsh on SOS. I think he is still a student so
> maybe this little speech I got from my boss at work will be
> enlightening. "If you think there is a problem that can be corrected
> then come to me with a proposal. I will pitch it to management.
> Otherwise you are just whining."

You'll get no argument from me there... I've provided a number
of suggestions to SOS over the months.

The main one involves not preoccupying the group around
directly playing a role in saving the show, choosing to patiently wait
until DiC chooses to take further action on their license, and
instead, use the publicity the group has already garnered to expand
SOS towards objectives which would 'benefit' the fanbase... such as
maintaining an online database of fans which could be sorted by city
so that Moonies can have an opportunity to meet each other and
interact in real life instead of confining themselves to the isolation
of the Internet.

This would also allow them to find fellow Moonies easier and
get access to the original SM material a heck of a lot easier than
dealing with cumbersome orders through the mail. Taking this route
would have fostered the fanbase and helped it to grow by encouraging
fans to interact and start their own local community fangroups until
such a time when SM would hopefully return to North American airwaves.

Simple philosophy when one thinks about it... that's what all
of those Trekkers did when the show got canned from the airwaves in
the late 60s. They kept Trek fandom growing and thriving until such a
time as it was able to make its return. They didn't start nagging
advertisers with desperate pleas to save the show and directly trying
to play a part in getting it back on the air with procotts. They
didn't lose sight of their limited influence and project the false
message that they could directly affect the situation. That's the big
difference.

And, by the way, for those of you who've looked past this
simple philosophy over the last few months and instead have just gone
about labelling me as a naysayer or a pessimist without providing any
specific examples to back up your reasoning... well, folks, THAT'S
whining.

-- Brad Lascelle <pa...@huron.net>

* Screenshots & .MOVs Of Sailor Stars Episode 195 Now On-line

Chi Cheung

Dec 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/20/96

I have been on this newsgroup on and off for about 9 months. Back in the
old days, there were virtually no flame war, except those started by Jackie.
(You know Jackie, the bratty 14 year old that posted under her father's
name?)

I can never understand why people would flame each other like there is no
tomorrow on a newsgroup for an anime about Love, Romance, Friendship, and
Forgiveness. What could Usagi say?

BTW, about Brad's concern about us wasting our money on PopTarts and not
spending them on presents .... Well, the Poptarts come in neat little
boxes, over which you can wrap colorful paper ....

(Hey Connie, guess what you are getting for Christmas?)

--Ming (who still hasn't mailed Connie's present yet)
--
cmch...@teleport.COM Public Access User -- Not affiliated with Teleport
Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-1016 (2400-28800, N81)

Aaron Maupin

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96

I'm going to respond to several messages in this thread at once. Most are
Brad's. (I go away for a week and look what happens.)

> Hehehe... well, they're not rocket scientists, Ken. Turning on
> a computer and getting hooked up to the 'Net doesn't exactly require

> much intelligence to pull off. And, if a fancy organization is gonna
> come along with a catchy acronym and whip up a tall tale about how the
> North American television industry can be manipulated by a one-day

> splurge on Kellogg's pop tarts... well, you're going to have a lot of
> giddy Moonies spending their Christmas cash on processed breakfast
> food instead of actual presents for family members.

Do you realize Brad, that you're insulting Sailor Moon fans here as well
as SOS? The first insult is that Sailor Moon fans are unintelligent, the
second that Save Our Sailors took advantage of that. I agree with
neither. I advise you not to go into politics if things like that are
going to come out of your mouth.

> Let's bring a dose of reality to the situation, though... the
> results of whether or not this procott even makes a remote 'blip' in
> Kellogg's sales reports won't be detected for two months... and by
> then, well, let's just say that the procott results won't make much of
> a difference come February.

The "two months" figure is wrong. Kellogg's is keeping a very strong eye
on the sales of their Pop Tarts, with some new technology that, if
pressed, I know nothing about.

Let me explain this Procott for people like Brad who still don't
understand what it was. It was an effort by fans to show advertisers that
they _understand_ the way the system works, and that they support
advertisers who help pay for their favorite shows. It doesn't matter who
we targetted (Save Our Sailors was very surprised that Pop Tarts won the
online vote) because the same message is being sent to all advertisers.

This may come as a surprise to all the Eeyores out there, but we talked to
a lot of people in the television industry about this before we even
seriously considered doing it, and they _all_ thought it was a good idea.
Recently I had a chance to meet many animation industry employees and talk
about our campaign - they were all very impressed with it.

---
In article <599dg3$5...@bonkers.taronga.com>, ari...@taronga.com
(Stephanie da Silva) wrote:

> This whole buying pop tarts thing is pretty stupid, I must agree. The
> "putting your money where your mouth is" in this instance would apply
> to buying Sailor Moon merchandise, wouldn't one think?

Yes, and we would have procotted Sailor Moon merchandise, except that:

1. It's just not available in most areas (of the U.S.) so a
procott wouldn't be very successful.
2. Sailor Moon fans are going to buy Sailor Moon merchandise
anyway - they're expected to. So we couldn't honestly
say fans were doing it solely as a show of support to the
advertisers.

---

> With rash statements from the head organizers to the extent of
> "we have to keep in mind... that we are the largest campaign ever...
> in the history of television... to save an animated series... or a
> children's series... or a syndicated series... no one has received as
> much support from fans than us", they've lost sight of the overall
> picture and instead have fallen in love with the 'novelty' of the
> campaign.

Since you aren't us, you can keep your opinions on our delusions to
yourself, unless you have specific proof that we believe as you suggest.
The quotation above was David Koenigsberg's answer to a question about
Save Our Sailors's viability towards saving Sailor Moon, though I suppose
if you had included that information it wouldn't have made him seem so
"glory-bound."

> I've lost track of the number of people who wound up buying
> frosted strawberry pop tarts when they should have bought unfrosted...
> or Canadians who participated in the procott without realizing that
> their contributions wouldn't even be registered... these are details
> which should have been dealt with beforehand.

Here I have to admit you are right. We should have realized that a
picture wouldn't be enough of an explanation, and I should have added more
specific text to the procott flyer. But I think it'll be okay.

I don't know what you're talking about in regards to Canadian purchases
not being registered. Kellogg's keeps track of how many Pop Tarts they
sell in foreign markets, too, you know.

---

> Well, with regards to that arrangement back in late August, I'm
> glad you mentioned it. A number of people like to dig that 48-hour
> event out of the closet as if it's some kind of skeleton or something,
> even though that arrangement was being wholly tackled by the voice
> cast... it wasn't something that I myself was affiliated with. I was
> simply the courier of information just as I am for a lot of other
> SM-related bits of information.

Except in this case the courier opened the packet and rewrote it.

Since we're talking about it, what happened is that you tried to get SOS
to support an _illegal_ solicitation plan by telling us certain
individuals and companies were involved which later denied everything.
You told us, for example, that Steve Mittler spoke on behalf of Randy
Zalken. Neither knew what you were talking about, and a lot of time at
DIC and Toei was wasted.

> While not the same kind of situation as SOS' overestimation of
> THEIR influence on the fate of new episodes, both Randy and Nicole
> were in similar kinds of binds.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to send some sort of proof that
we've "overestimated" our role. In general, when you make derogatory
implications/insults (as you often do), you should have some sort of proof
to back it up, otherwise people like me pound tables and exclaim, "Why in
God's name is he saying these things about me and my friends?"

---

> You'll get no argument from me there... I've provided a number
> of suggestions to SOS over the months.

If I may...why don't you try emailing us the suggestions at
s...@dau.physics.sunysb.edu instead of intertwining them with derogatory
implications here and on the Looney and SOS mailing lists? Don't you
think we'd be more receptive to them if they weren't punctuated with
attacks on our intelligence, etc?

> The main one involves not preoccupying the group around
> directly playing a role in saving the show, choosing to patiently wait
> until DiC chooses to take further action on their license, and
> instead, use the publicity the group has already garnered to expand
> SOS towards objectives which would 'benefit' the fanbase... such as
> maintaining an online database of fans which could be sorted by city
> so that Moonies can have an opportunity to meet each other and
> interact in real life instead of confining themselves to the isolation
> of the Internet.

That's a fine idea (I actually think I remember you proposing it), except
that it wouldn't do much to save Sailor Moon. We _do_ believe we can help
save Sailor Moon - I guess if that's the overestimation you mentioned in a

> Simple philosophy when one thinks about it... that's what all
> of those Trekkers did when the show got canned from the airwaves in
> the late 60s.

If I'm not mistaken, Bjo Trimble will be mentioning us in her next newsletter.

Aaron Maupin

/ maup...@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu
/ Site Supervisor of the 18th Ave. Lab

The Evil Professor Chronos

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96

Brad Lascelle <pa...@huron.net> wrote:

>Mark Sprague <crs...@inforamp.net> Writes:

>> [Diabolical cackle] Well, if they like, they can always come and
>> record the next 65 (or whatever) down here in the Negabasement if
>> DIC does decide to give us another season. :)

> Hehehe... that's a friendly offer there, Mark, however I think
> DiC would rather choose a dubbing method that's a little more
> professional and reknowned than your spiffy Kitchensync set up.

Hey! I resent that! Kitchensync is quite professional, or at least
halfway there now that I've got the bugs out of it. :P If you're
talking about the sound quality, that's just to be expected when the
original recordings were done on fuzzy camcorder mikes while the
dishwasher was running in the background. :) Gimme a few decent-
quality microphones, an SVHS tape, and the original music and FX
tracks, and I'm sure I'd be at least up to DIC's standards.

As for renowned, heh, just give me a couple of years. :)

> As for what production facilities DiC would seek out in the
> Toronto area remains to be seen... while the Rhythmoband technology is
> half-way decent, it can be improved upon and it's unique to Optimum
> themselves (although, I don't know how far maintaining a dubbing
> technology without an actual studio will get them).
>
> Of course, there are quite a wide number of other production
> facilities which are available besides them, and it'll be interesting
> to see what route they'd take. Same thing goes for a prospective
> production of the SMR Movie... odds are the parties interested in that
> venture have their own set ideas about how and where they'd like to
> dub it as well.

Hmmm ... I wonder if Roland and Co will suddenly find themselves
shipped off on a road trip to Vancouver ... ;)

Brad Lascelle

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96
to cmch...@teleport.com

Chi Ming Cheung <cmch...@teleport.com> Writes:

> BTW, about Brad's concern about us wasting our money on PopTarts and
> not spending them on presents .... Well, the Poptarts come in neat
> little boxes, over which you can wrap colorful paper ....

Well, if you're looking for quality Christmas presents for
fellow Moonies, there are certainly some better gift ideas out there.

Sailor Stars calendars... MixxZine subscriptions... SM
collector's video tapes... fansubs and fandubs... life-size posters...
SM Christmas CDs. Pop tarts have a little trouble keeping pace with
those stocking stuffers. :)

Mandy Kat

Dec 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/30/96

I haven't bought any either.. I have been busy tracking down the leftover
merchandise that ToysRUs dumped on Walgreens.. I spent 2 months tracking
down a Deluxe Sailor Jupiter.. 2 weeks on Venus.. found lots of Sailor
Moon and Mars.. but only 1 Mercury.. found 2 leftover Videos at ToysRUs..

Mandy Kat

Dec 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/30/96

Everybody Email ROLANDA & Ricki Lake & Oprah for a show called "They
Cancelled My Favorite Show and Now I Am Ticked!!!!!" I am doing it all the
time.. but I don't think they even blink at just one person..

mars3...@aol.com

Jan 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/1/97

Addresses would be nice