#Bruce Springsteen's Angry Patriotism

2884 Dead

Feb 20, 2012, 12:31:12 AM2/20/12
http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/320-80/10054-bruce-
springsteens-angry-patriotism

[Zeppnote: not long after the first time I heard James McMurtry's
stunning, savage "We Can't Make It Here", I wondered, "What the fuck ever
became of Springstreen? At one time, he was going to be the next Dylan,
but now, when people talk about songs with a social message, they talk
about Earle, or Cave. He isn't even on the list" Well, it looks like
Springsteen asked himself a similar question.]

Bruce Springsteen's Angry Patriotism

By Fiachra Gibbons, Guardian UK

19 February 12

The Boss explains why there is a critical, questioning and angry
patriotism at the heart of his new album, Wrecking Ball.

t a Paris press conference on Thursday night, Bruce Springsteen was asked
whether he was advocating an armed uprising in America. He laughed at the
idea, but that the question was even posed at all gives you some idea of
the fury of his new album Wrecking Ball.

Indeed, it is as angry a cry from the belly of a wounded America as has
been heard since the dustbowl and Woody Guthrie, a thundering blow of New
Jersey pig iron down on the heads of Wall Street and all who have sold
his country down the swanny. Springsteen has gone to the great American
canon for ammunition, borrowing from folk, civil war anthems, Irish rebel
songs and gospel. The result is a howl of pain and disbelief as visceral
as anything he has ever produced, that segues into a search for
redemption: "Hold tight to your anger / And don't fall to your fears ...
Bring on your wrecking ball."

"I have spent my life judging the distance between American reality and
the American dream," Springsteen told the conference, where the album was
aired for the first time. It was written, he claimed, not just out of
fury but out of patriotism, a patriotism traduced.

"What was done to our country was wrong and unpatriotic and un-American
and nobody has been held to account," he later told the Guardian. "There
is a real patriotism underneath the best of my music but it is a
critical, questioning and often angry patriotism."

The tone is set from the start with the big, bombastic We Take Care of
Our Own - a Born in the USA for our times - where the most sacred
shibboleth of Ordinary Joe America is sung with mocking irony through
clenched teeth by a heart that still wants it to be true. "From the
shotgun shack to the Superdome/ There ain't no help, the cavalry stayed
home." It is a typical Springsteen appeal to a common decency beyond the
civil war he sees sapping America.

Like Born in the USA, which got pressed into service as the anthem of the
first Gulf war, he's aware it has the potential to be hijacked by the
angry right. But Springsteen says that to anyone who cares to listen to
the lyrics, the message is clear.

"A big promise has been broken. You can't have a United States if you are
telling some folks that they can't get on the train. There is a cracking
point where a society collapses. You can't have a civilisation where
something is factionalised like this."

Springsteen plunges into darker, richer musical landscapes in a sequence
of breath-taking protest songs - Easy Money, Shackled and Drawn, Jack of
All Trades, the scarily bellicose Death to My Hometown and This
Depression with Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine - before the
album turns on Wrecking Ball in search of some spiritual path out of the
mess the US is in.

But it is also an ode to hard work, to the dignity it brings, and the
blue-collar values he claims made America:

"Freedom son's a dirty shirt
The sun on my face and my shovel in the dirt
A shovel in the dirt keeps the devil gone
I woke up this morning shackled and drawn"

Asked where the fury of this lyric had come from, he talks movingly of
his father who had been "emasculated by losing his job" in the 70s and
never recovered from the damage to his pride. "Unemployment is a really
devastating thing. I know the damage it does to families. Growing up in
that house there were things you couldn't say. It was a minefield. My
mother was the breadwinner. She was steadfast and relentless and I took
that from her.

"Pessimism and optimism are slammed up against each other in my records,
the tension between them is where it's all at, it's what lights the fire."

Hope is there. But it is a tempered hope. Land of Hope and Dreams is a
plea for America's newest immigrants, those risking their lives to ride
the trains up from central America. "This train ... carries saints and
sinners ... losers and winners ... whores and gamblers ... Dreams will
not be thwarted ... Faith will be rewarded."

Springsteen, 62, says he is not afraid of how the album will be received
in election-year America: "The temper has changed. And people on the
streets did it. Occupy Wall Street changed the national conversation -
the Tea Party had set it for a while. The first three years of Obama were
under them.

"Previous to Occupy Wall Street, there was no push back at all saying
this was outrageous - a basic theft that struck at the heart of what
America was about, a complete disregard for the American sense of history
and community ... In Easy Money the guy is going out to kill and rob,
just like the robbery spree that has occurred at the top of the pyramid -
he's imitating the guys on Wall Street. An enormous fault line cracked
the American system right open whose repercussion we are only starting to
be feel.

"Nobody had talked about income inequality in America for decades - apart
from John Edwards - but no one was listening. But now you have Newt
Gingrich talking about 'vulture capitalism' - Newt Gingrich! - that would
not have happened without Occupy Wall Street."

Having previously backed Obama, Springsteen says he would prefer to stay
on the sidelines this time. "I don't write for one side of the street ...
But the Bush years were so horrific you could not just sit around. It was
such a blatant disaster. I campaigned for Kerry and Obama, and I am glad
I did. But normally I would prefer to stay on the sidelines. The artist
is supposed to be the canary in the cage."

Obama hasn't done bad, Springsteen says. "He kept General Motors alive,
he got through healthcare - though not the public system I would have
wanted - he killed Osama Bin Laden, and he brought sanity to the top
level of government. But big business still has too much say in
government and there has not been as many middle- or working-class voices
in the administration as I expected. I thought Guantanamo would have been
closed but now, but he got us out of Iraq and I guess we will soon be out
of Afghanistan."

The album is the last on which Clarence Clemons, the legendary
saxophonist from the E Street Band, played on before he died last year.
"When the sax comes up on Land of Hope and Dreams," Springsteen says,
"it's a lovely moment for me."

• Wrecking Ball is released on 5 March via Columbia.

--
Subscribe:
zepps_essay...@yahoogroups.com

Not dead, in jail or a slave? Thank a liberal!

--
“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution
inevitable” -JFK

Steve

Feb 20, 2012, 6:38:32 AM2/20/12
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 05:31:12 +0000 (UTC), 2884 Dead <de...@gone.com>
wrote:

>http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/320-80/10054-bruce-
>springsteens-angry-patriotism
>
>[Zeppnote: not long after the first time I heard James McMurtry's
>stunning, savage "We Can't Make It Here", I wondered, "What the fuck ever
>became of Springstreen? At one time, he was going to be the next Dylan,

Does that mean people thought he'd drug himself so much that he could
hardly speak?

>but now, when people talk about songs with a social message, they talk
>about Earle, or Cave.

Who?????

Matt

Feb 20, 2012, 9:46:53 AM2/20/12
On Feb 20, 4:38 am, Steve <stevencan...@yahooooo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 05:31:12 +0000 (UTC), 2884 Dead <d...@gone.com>
> wrote:
>
> >http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/320-80/10054-bruce-
> >springsteens-angry-patriotism
>
> >[Zeppnote: not long after the first time I heard James McMurtry's
> >stunning, savage "We Can't Make It Here", I wondered, "What the fuck ever
> >became of Springstreen?  At one time, he was going to be the next Dylan,
>
> Does that mean people thought he'd drug himself so much that he could
> hardly speak?
>
> >but now, when people talk about songs with a social message, they talk
> >about Earle, or Cave.
>
> Who?????

Steve Earle, one of the finest songwriters of any generation. He wrote
for, among
others, Vince Gill and Carl Perkins. Mostly country, but he did a fair
amount of blues
too.

Cave refers to Nick Cave, an Australian songwriter. I suggest you look
him up. A
bit more modern than you probably like, Cave's stuff is considered to
be a bit after
punk. He does, however, write phenomenal music.

Matt

> > He isn't even on the list"  Well, it looks like
> >Springsteen asked himself a similar question.]- Hide quoted text -

Phlip

Feb 20, 2012, 10:37:12 AM2/20/12
> "Previous to Occupy Wall Street, there was no push back at all saying
> this was outrageous - a basic theft that struck at the heart of what
> America was about, a complete disregard for the American sense of history
> and community ...

One of the best kept secrets in rock music: Bruce Springsteen is only
4 feet tall.

Reaper G

Feb 20, 2012, 10:59:32 AM2/20/12
On Feb 19, 9:31 pm, 2884 Dead <d...@gone.com> wrote:

> http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/320-80/10054-bruce-
> springsteens-angry-patriotism
>
> [Zeppnote: not long after the first time I heard James McMurtry's
> stunning, savage "We Can't Make It Here", I wondered, "What the fuck ever
> became of Springstreen?  At one time, he was going to be the next Dylan,
> but now, when people talk about songs with a social message, they talk
> about Earle, or Cave.  He isn't even on the list"  Well, it looks like
> Springsteen asked himself a similar question.]

Um, "The Rising", Zepp?

While I would say Springsteen is my favorite music artist, "We Take
Care of Our Own" really sounds too much like a DNC anthem.

pyjamarama

Feb 20, 2012, 11:32:14 AM2/20/12
> zepps_essays-subscr...@yahoogroups.com
> zepps_news-subscr...@yahoogroups.com
> Unsubscribe:
> zepps_essays-unsubscr...@yahoogroups.com
> zepps_news-unsubscr...@yahoogroups.com
>
> Not dead, in jail or a slave? Thank a liberal!
>
> --
> “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution
> inevitable” -JFK

Bruce Springsteen -- that most fraudulent creation of Jon Landau,
brought to public attention by shameless media hype (see: Time,
Newsweek, Oct. '75) and the purveyor of the whitest, boxiest,
swingless, graceless, granitic 'music' since a post-Velvet Lou Reed
spoke-sneered monotonously over a relentless, deathless 4/4 beat while
playing electric guitar badly.

And given that he's spent the lion's share of his 'glory days' holed
up in a gated Beverly Hills estate, he's hardly the blue-collar Joe
he's been posing to be all these years.

Wonder what percentage of his millions ended up going to charity?

'Bout the same as Al Gore and Obama, I'll bet.

God knows he didn't pay the E Street band shit...

Steve

Feb 20, 2012, 12:00:34 PM2/20/12
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 06:46:53 -0800 (PST), Matt
<mattt...@sprynet.com> wrote:

>On Feb 20, 4:38 am, Steve <stevencan...@yahooooo.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 05:31:12 +0000 (UTC), 2884 Dead <d...@gone.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/320-80/10054-bruce-
>> >springsteens-angry-patriotism
>>
>> >[Zeppnote: not long after the first time I heard James McMurtry's
>> >stunning, savage "We Can't Make It Here", I wondered, "What the fuck ever
>> >became of Springstreen?  At one time, he was going to be the next Dylan,
>>
>> Does that mean people thought he'd drug himself so much that he could
>> hardly speak?
>>
>> >but now, when people talk about songs with a social message, they talk
>> >about Earle, or Cave.
>>
>> Who?????
>
>Steve Earle, one of the finest songwriters of any generation. He wrote
>for, among
>others, Vince Gill and Carl Perkins. Mostly country, but he did a fair
>amount of blues
>too.

Thanks for the info. I did a wiki on him and see that he did write
for a lot of good people so he must have been pretty good. I checked
my Winamp files and see one mention of his name, a duet with Emmylou
called "I remember you," which doesn't really appeal to me. I
inherited a good size chunk of my Winamp files from a retired DJ and
the "composer" data is pretty bleak. I may have some tracks that he
wrote, but none of what I see on his website or wiki or other sites
about him ring any bells for me.

>Cave refers to Nick Cave, an Australian songwriter. I suggest you look
>him up. A
>bit more modern than you probably like, Cave's stuff is considered to
>be a bit after
>punk. He does, however, write phenomenal music.

A quick wiki of him confirms why I never heard of him... not my style
at all...

2884 Dead

Feb 20, 2012, 2:09:51 PM2/20/12
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 06:46:53 -0800, Matt wrote:

> On Feb 20, 4:38 am, Steve <stevencan...@yahooooo.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 05:31:12 +0000 (UTC), 2884 Dead <d...@gone.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/320-80/10054-bruce-
>> >springsteens-angry-patriotism
>>
>> >[Zeppnote: not long after the first time I heard James McMurtry's
>> >stunning, savage "We Can't Make It Here", I wondered, "What the fuck
>> >ever became of Springstreen?  At one time, he was going to be the next
>> >Dylan,
>>
>> Does that mean people thought he'd drug himself so much that he could
>> hardly speak?
>>
>> >but now, when people talk about songs with a social message, they talk
>> >about Earle, or Cave.
>>
>> Who?????
>
> Steve Earle, one of the finest songwriters of any generation. He wrote
> for, among
> others, Vince Gill and Carl Perkins. Mostly country, but he did a fair
> amount of blues
> too.

Best known for the song "Copperhead Road", but his finest album has to be
"Jerusalem".

> Cave refers to Nick Cave, an Australian songwriter. I suggest you look
> him up. A
> bit more modern than you probably like, Cave's stuff is considered to be
> a bit after
> punk. He does, however, write phenomenal music.

Best known for "There She Goes My Beautiful World", and best album
probably is "Abattoir Blues" Also known for the award winning movie "The
Proposition" (a western on the level of "The Unforgiven") and a noted
essayist.

> Matt
>

>> > He isn't even on the list"  Well, it looks like
>> >Springsteen asked himself a similar question.]- Hide quoted text -

Steve

Feb 20, 2012, 3:33:21 PM2/20/12
On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 19:09:51 +0000 (UTC), 2884 Dead <de...@gone.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 06:46:53 -0800, Matt wrote:
>
>> On Feb 20, 4:38 am, Steve <stevencan...@yahooooo.com> wrote:

>>> Does that mean people thought he'd drug himself so much that he could
>>> hardly speak?

>>> Who?????
>>
>> Steve Earle, one of the finest songwriters of any generation. He wrote
>> for, among
>> others, Vince Gill and Carl Perkins. Mostly country, but he did a fair
>> amount of blues
>> too.
>
>Best known for the song "Copperhead Road", but his finest album has to be
>"Jerusalem".

I just listened to youtube versions of Copperhead Road and Jerusalem..
I'm not going to be buying them...

>> Cave refers to Nick Cave, an Australian songwriter. I suggest you look
>> him up. A
>> bit more modern than you probably like, Cave's stuff is considered to be
>> a bit after
>> punk. He does, however, write phenomenal music.
>
>Best known for "There She Goes My Beautiful World", and best album
>probably is "Abattoir Blues" Also known for the award winning movie "The
>Proposition" (a western on the level of "The Unforgiven") and a noted
>essayist.

Not even going to listen/watch to them....