What Would Reagan Do?

dot...@notdotnetdotcom.net

Apr 7, 2001, 12:47:27 PM4/7/01
On July 3, 1988, the US shot down a commercial airliner over the
Strait of Hormuz. Flight 655 had 290 men, women, and children on
board. All died. "Thanks," God-fearing family-values
conservatives of America. All hail Reagan.

Chief

Apr 7, 2001, 11:28:36 AM4/7/01

Ever consider that the plane might have been piloted or influenced by
someone or group that wanted the plane to be shot down or least fired upon.
Any pilot in that area would have known that a rapid descent towards US
warships could potentially result in such action. And in defense of our
military, which is not always on the right side, it is often a very
difficult choice between action and inaction because you can be damned if
you do and damned if you don't.

DiLithiumXtals

Apr 7, 2001, 5:48:53 PM4/7/01
"Chief" little.b...@prodigy.net wrote:

>> On July 3, 1988, the US shot down a commercial airliner over the
>> Strait of Hormuz. Flight 655 had 290 men, women, and children on
>> board. All died. "Thanks," God-fearing family-values
>> conservatives of America. All hail Reagan.
>
>Ever consider that the plane might have been piloted or influenced by
>someone or group that wanted the plane to be shot down or least fired upon.

This is utter bullshit. It was a regularly-scheduled commercial flight.

>Any pilot in that area would have known that a rapid descent towards US
>warships could potentially result in such action.

It had just taken off and was <not> rapdily descending. Its radar signature
was NOT that of a fighter.

And in defense of our
>military, which is not always on the right side, it is often a very
>difficult choice between action and inaction because you can be damned if
>you do and damned if you don't.

The Board of Inquiry blamed the captain.

Look: There is no doubt our military screwed up in the Iran situation. But the
entire world saw the anguish of our crew when they learned that what they shot
down was <not> a plane "diving toward them", but an airliner on the ascent.

We paid compensation to the relatives of the victims. The career of the
captain of the ship was ruined. We apologized to iran. What more does anyone
expect? Perfection? It's not like the U.S. has a track record of shooting
down planes, you know....can't say that for the Russkies or
Chinese.............

p.s.: anyone got the date for the Vincennes incient? I thought it happened
under Bush, not Reagan.

Chief

Apr 7, 2001, 6:17:49 PM4/7/01
> This is utter bullshit. It was a regularly-scheduled commercial flight.
>
> >Any pilot in that area would have known that a rapid descent towards US
> >warships could potentially result in such action.
>
> It had just taken off and was <not> rapdily descending. Its radar
signature
> was NOT that of a fighter.

Whoa, I'm offering a perspective, not a declaration of fact. I don't really
know nor care to know what really happened. It's settled, hopefully. And
it doesn't matter if it's not a fighter but a regularly scheduled flight, it
could still slam into a ship. But these things can happen. Look at the
Cole. If procedures were strictly enforced those bombers would have been
shot long before they reached the ship; and then what if that was done only
to find out they were just a couple of "Joes" who didn't understand military
concerns very well? Can you picture the crying wives holding their orphan
children. It's never as straight forward as it may seem, or at least the
way it's conveyed by the manipulative press. If the press was held more
accountable these things would be much less likely to occur.

Brett Kottmann

Apr 9, 2001, 11:55:43 PM4/9/01

Silly: Reagan apologized. The Chinese have not.

Stupendous Man
http://reagan.webteamone.com/
The Truth About the 1980s