More of that "adult" behavior that the leftards love to display to the world

John De Gennaro

Aug 31, 2004, 3:31:02 PM8/31/04

August 31, 2004
CONFRONTATIONS
Protesters' Encounters With Delegates on the Town Turn Ugly
By RANDAL C. ARCHIBOLD

Outside a hotel in Times Square, delegates to the Republican National
Convention were swarmed by protesters dressed in black and swearing at them.
Blocks away, delegates engaged in shoving matches with protesters seeking to
spoil their night at the theater. And outside "The Lion King" on 42nd
Street, a delegate was punched by a protester who ran by.

Although the organized protests yesterday and Sunday have been largely
peaceful, there has been a starkly different tone to smaller incidents in
Midtown and elsewhere: angry encounters and planned harassment of convention
delegates as they go out on the town.

Sometimes the delegates answer back in toe-to-toe, finger-pointing shouting
matches. Other times the police, who are guarding delegate gatherings, have
dispersed protesters, who move on to other locations to taunt other
delegates.

The harassment of delegates came as organized protests continued to draw
thousands of people. The Still We Rise march by advocates for social issues
was peaceful, and a Poor People's March, a column several blocks long,
proceeded from the United Nations to the Madison Square Garden yesterday
after the police decided to let it go ahead without a permit.

When marchers approached the Garden, a police detective was knocked off his
scooter. He was then repeatedly kicked and punched in the head by at least
one male demonstrator, the police said.

The detective, William Sample, was listed in serious condition at St.
Vincent's Manhattan Hospital, where Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Police
Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly both visited him, the police said. There was
no immediate word of an arrest in the assault, but as of 9 p.m., the police
said there had been 11 protest-related arrests.

The heavy police presence at the Garden apparently inspired the coordinated
plan by anarchists and other radicals to strike out at the delegates at
their hotels, breakfasts, parties, and on the streets.

The incidents are the result of months of planning by opposition groups, who
report that they have obtained copies of plans and addresses for delegates'
parties, caucuses and other gatherings outside the Garden.

Their efforts are aided by a support network that uses cellphone text
messaging. Text message was also used extensively in a bike protest on
Friday night and during demonstrations in Times Square on Sunday.

"CT delegation breakfast everyday @ Maison (7th ave & 53rd) from 7-8:30. Can
we get some dissenters?" said one text message yesterday, apparently
referring to the Connecticut delegation's plan to gather at a Midtown
restaurant. "Maison has outdoor buffet. It would be direct contact with
delegates."

One Internet discussion list used by protesters posted an advisory about
where some delegate buses would be idling in Midtown every morning. Another
message included phone numbers and e-mail addresses for convention officials
and advised that delegate hotels would be busiest in the morning and
evening.

The police are bracing for another round of unsanctioned demonstrations
today, which protesters have designated a day of "nonviolent civil
disobedience and direct action." Among the parties expected to be a target
is the Tennessee delegation's gathering at Sotheby's. A group calling itself
the Man in Black Bloc plans to protest it, saying it is angered that the
convention intends to honor the late country singer Johnny Cash.

Yesterday, Jamie Moran, who lives in Brooklyn and describes himself as an
anarchist and helps direct the rncnotwelcome.org Web site, was roaming Times
Square with a band of protesters shouting at delegates. "These people are in
a bubble," he said. "This is absolutely better than standing outside the
Garden and shouting to let them know they are not welcome here."

As delegate buses arrived at the Garden yesterday afternoon, protesters who
had gathered for a demonstration screamed obscenities and gestured rudely at
them. When the police spotted Pete Coors, a Republican candidate for Senate
from Colorado, walking near the group, they swiftly steered him away.

Clearly, the protesters were not deterred by entreaties by former Mayor
Edward I. Koch that New Yorkers be nice and an offer by Mayor Michael R.
Bloomberg to give peaceful protesters buttons and shopping discounts.

Adam Chase, 23, who said he came from Michigan for the protests, said that
while he believed demonstrators should not be violent, "I think it is quite
unfair for the R.N.C. and the delegates to tell us we should not be telling
them we think they are exploiting the fears of the people."

Mindful that delegates are targets, police officers guard their hotels and
ride aboard their chartered buses around town, and several receive police
escorts to various events.

"New York City is a fortress, and I love it," Joseph Kyrillos, the New
Jersey state Republican chairman, said yesterday at a delegate breakfast.
"We need to thank the New York police for all the protection."

Leonardo Alcivar, a spokesman for the convention, said officials recommended
that delegates not respond to heckling and taunts, which he said have been
"few and far between."

Still, he said, "Our delegates understand the old adage, do unto others as
they do unto you."

The tensest encounters between delegates and protesters so far occurred
Sunday evening when large groups of demonstrators moved through the theater
district while delegates were attending shows under arrangements prepared by
convention planners. Several protesters were arrested for trying to block
hotel and theater entrances, and face-to-face standoffs abounded.

Outside "Bombay Dreams" demonstrators shouted at and videotaped people
standing outside for intermission.

At "Aida," a group of protesters unfurled a banner and hurled invective at
delegates leaving the show. Some looked nervous, but a few shouted back,
"You're sick, sick."

Delegates lined up to see "Phantom of the Opera" ended up in a sing-song,
tit-for-tat with protesters. One protester shouted, "The phantom dies at the
end."

Flora Rohrs, a delegate from Colorado, burst into song, "This is my
country," with bits of "God Bless America" thrown in. She said, "What is
going on here is we are still going to get George Bush re-elected."

For some, there was no escape even at dinner.

"A person came by and used an explicative and stuck his finger in our face,"
said Deb Etcheson, an alternate delegate from Iowa. "But I don't blame that
on New Yorkers. I just love this city."

Some delegates seemed perplexed, even hurt, not because they did not expect
protesters to be here, but because they did not expect them to get personal.
"They were using foul language, getting real ugly," said Kim Kirkwood, a
delegate from Amarillo, Tex. Her husband, Jim, said he could not understand
it. "I have friends who are Democrats in Texas, and we talk about things,
agree to disagree."

--
Help me remove Congressman David Dreier from office (R) San Dimas
http://www.dojak.net