AFRJ History Chapter 2. "A Crown of Swords", "A Path of Daggers" and "The World of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time"

1 view

Chucky & Janica

Oct 20, 2002, 3:23:58 PM10/20/02

"A Crown of Swords", "A Path of Daggers" and "The World of Robert
Jordan's Wheel of Time"

"A Crown of Swords"

By the time AFRJ was founded, fans all over the world were eagerly
awaiting the publication of "A Crown of Swords", the seventh book in
the Wheel of Time series.

Due to the slow traffic in the group, discussion preceding the seventh
book was scarce, but there were the occasional predictions about what
the new book would contain. CherylReyn, for example, displayed an
optimism now rarely found in WoT-fans when she hypothesised that "most
definitely the end of book 7 will be Shai'tan breaking free..." ("Re:
Predictions for Book 7", 24.1.1995). Boy, must she have been
disappointed. Three times. Wayne C. McCullough was already a fan
hardened by multiple setbacks, and suggested instead that "In 'Crown
of Swords' we can expect Sammael to be faced, and possibly the tower
to be faced. /.../ But then, I expected Sammael to be dealt with in
LoC. How foolish of me." ("Number of books left", 3.1.1996). Well, one
out two isn't bad. His third prediction was interestingly phrased:
"Also, the Morgase/whitecloak problem could cumulate." *This* is the
sort of prediction a true fan would make. Very, very careful.

Luckily, though, the early readers of the group had the great pleasure
of witnessing a visit from Robert Jordan himself ("I am almost
finished.", 27.2.1996), with the following earth-shattering
revelation: "In this book the Aes Sedai will have a great battle with
the Asha'man and somebody will die." I'm sure everyone was surprised -
usually, we go for books on end without anybody dying. Indeed, Jordan
was nice enough to give the fans a choice - "Please write and tell me
who should die" signing the whole thing with "-Your illustrious
leader, Bob Jordan". Now that's style.

Comments concerning the quality of aCoS were few and far apart - in
fact, nobody had anything much to say about it. Sarlic had a small
complaint. "What happened to all of the great artwork that used to be
on the covers of all the books? Granted, they were not always correct,
but the artwork was still good.... ACoS is just..... there! Was there
some kind of mix up or something?" ("ACoS - Paperback - What's up with
the cover?", 3.10.1997). Mix up. I like that. Someone tacked the wrong
cover onto the book. Glenn Wyatt started realising what direction WoT
was about to take when he read aCoT: "Is it just me or does each of
R.J.s books get more and more long winded and have less and less
story? I am currently on page 590 of A Crown of Swords and absolutely
nothing has happened yet!" ("Just wondering?", 17.1.1998). Maarten D.
de Jong was of a different opinion, though, and felt that he had to
stand up for Jordan. "Okay, everybody's entitled to their own opinion
about things, but if you consider things, you simply know that ACoS
simply cannot proceed at the same pace of TEotW - there's many more
storylines to follow. And if you read ACoS closely, you know that the
story is hardly loosing steam. Okay, some twists were introduced to
complicate things considerably (Cadsuane, True Power, Moridin, to name
three), but Jordan has broken off each storyline at a point where you
think: 'Damn! Now what is going to happen to <pick-any-name>? 'I call
that 'building up pressure'." Jordan is definitely good at building up
pressure. Why, with the split in the White Tower, he's been building
up pressure for six years and counting. But Maarten continues, "For
this, and its zany humour, ACoS ranks amongst my top-three." Zany
humour is not an expression I'd use to describe Jordan, but to each
their own.

After aCoS, there was some small talk about how many more books there
would be. "Back when I was young and innocent, My guess was there
would be seven... one book per seal. But I doubt the next book will be
the last", Wayne C. McCullough said, but now, "My guess is as few as
three more (including CoS), assuming forsaken and seals are dealt with
in a timely manner." ("Number of books left", 3.1.1996). Technical
Support felt quite confident about his reasoning when he voiced his
opinion. "*WHEEL* of Time people. How many spokes are there to a wagon
wheel? 10. There ya go." ("Re: 13 books in all???", 1.5.1997). You
learn something new every day. I didn't know there was an
international norm as to how many spokes a wagon wheel should have.
Steven Wolfe didn't care how many books there would finally be. "I
could certainly handle it if he wrote a hundred. I think that the
world he has created has enough richness, depth, and background to
write that many." ("Re: rumor about the length of the series",
4.8.1997). I don't know about depth or background, but there's
certainly plenty of women to describe. "Is'nt part 8 supposed to be
the last book?", lowbass asked ("The last book?", 5.10.1998). "Nope,"
replied Paul Wilkins, "there's supposed to be 11 books in total, give
or take - take hopefully." ("Re: The last book?", 6.10.1998). Some
went so far as to take Jordan's word for it. "Signing in Nashville
back in 96, he told me he was looking to do at least ten books. His
words. I assumed that was the original plan", Leonard C. Chadwick told
the group ("Re: series length", 17.11.1998). Well, since Robert Jordan
said so, we must be looking forward to the last book now. No, wait,
apparently that's *not* what Robert Jordan is saying. Leonard C.
Chadwick suspected that Jordan "probably made an open ended contract
geared to finish up no sooner that book 10." ("Re: series length",
16.11.1998). Nathan Dunning knew for sure that Jordan had said
something completely different. "Actually, RJ has said (many times)
that he thought the series would take 4-5, possibly 6 books. He says
now that he thinks there are 3 more books left." ("Re: series length",
16.11.1998). Wow. Could it be that Jordan doesn't know what he's
talking about? Surely not. He's got it all planned out, after all.

Readers have also tried to figure out how many books there would be by
looking at clues in the books. I already mentioned the "10 spokes in a
wheel" theory, but here are some more. Jason Blore said "Before
reading 'A Crown of Swords' my cousin told me that it would be the
final book in the series. Seven books for seven spokes on the Wheel of
Time. Now obviously this has turned out to be false... So has anyone
heard anything official?" ("A question and a topic for discussion",
9.5.1998). Nope, sorry, still no official word. Your cousin is an
idiot, though. JKul came to the conclusion that there would be 13
books, "for the 13 aes sedai/myrddraal." ("Re: Book #8?", 16.5.1998).
Others have also voted for 13 books, but for different reasons.
Imladolen0 thought it was because "RJ loves to play with ideas and
stories that seem famaliar, and seems to like the number 13 a heck of
a lot" ("Re: How long do you think?", 15.6.1998), whereas Darren
Hoshek's News felt it would be because "by the way how many forsaken
where there again?" ("Re: 12 books????? was: Re: Disappointment -
Ouch !!", 12.10.1999). Emet1 suggested it was because "13 is an
important number in the series as a whole so it would be cool if the
total number of books equalled 13." ("Re: milk", 17.4.2000). I think
Robert E. gave this line of thought its best answer when he replied to
Emet1: "That has gotta be the stupidest fuckin...
thwapThwapTHWAPTHWAPTHWAP*" ("Re: milk", 18.4.2000).

While everyone was waiting for the next book, Path of Daggers, meaghan
buchanan started a thread called "new book!" with the following joyous
news: "just a note to say that book 7-A Crown of Swords is now
officially for sale, at least in Canada!" (23.9.1998). I thought it
was Australia that was several years behind the rest of the world.
Didn't know Canada belonged to that group too.

"A Path of Daggers"

No matter how people felt about "A Crown of Swords", there was still
plenty of interest in "Path of Daggers". The first question to ask, of
course, was when the book would be out, and what it would be called.
Storm wrote to the group on 22.9.1996 ("LAST BOOK !!!!!!!!!!!"),
telling everyone how he had "CALLED THE PUBLISHER" and they had told
him that "MR. JORDANS LAST BOOK IN THE WHEEL OF TIME SERIES WILL COME
OUT IN 1997". Storm was devastated, almost shattered. "WE MUST WRITE
TO RJ AND EXPLAIN THAT IN ORDER TO FINISH THIS SERIES IN THE TRADITION
AND QUALITY OF HIS PREVIOUS BOOKS IN THE SERIES, THAT IT WOULD TAKE AT
LEAST TWO OR THREE MORE BOOKS." There was too much left unsaid, Storm
insisted. "HE HAS NOT DEALT WITH THE COORAMOR AND THE PROPHECIES ABOUT
HIM", and "WHAT ABOUT HOW MATT WILL LOSE HALF THE WORLD TO DARKNESS",
and "WHAT ABOUT THE FOXES AND SNAKES AND THERE CONNECTION WITH LUC AND
LANS BROTHER", not to mention that "THE LAST BATTLE ITSELF SHOULD
COVER A WHOLE BOOK".

Others took the whole situation a bit more calmly, and a bit less
capitally. The next book would probably be out sometime in '98. "I
heard spring of '98", Harry Oberg told the group ("Re: HURRY, BOOK
8!!", 15.2.1997), "Although the question remains; 1998 or 2098?"
Solomon had more info than that. "It's called, _The Breaking Storm_",
he said ("Re: Anybody know when the next book is coming and its
title?", 26.2.1997). paul welch jr. disagreed: "Some sources say that
it will be called 'Fain's Pride'" ("Path of Daggers or Fain's Pride?",
8.8.1997). Luckily, Josh "talked to a lady at Walden books" ("Re:
sequel to crown of swords", 12.8.1997) who knew to tell him that "the
next book was entitled 'The Strike at Shaoyl Gul'". Had this been
true, it would certainly have left a lot of people mystified, and
Jordan's editor deservedly unemployed. It wasn't until 12.12.1997 when
someone knew what they were talking about. "The next book 'A path of
daggers' is due out in the first Quarter of 1998, about March, April",
Anthony Clendinen notified everyone ("Re: When's the next book
coming?"), "I think it is called Fall in the Northern Hemesphere". No,
Anthony, it was called "A Path of Daggers" in the northern hemisphere
too. And March-April is spring. So in any case, the next book was now
established as PoD. At which point Moose couldn't help but ask "Pardon
me for being ignorant.... Ummmm but whats the name of the new book??
other that PoD" ("Re: Can't.. hold out..", 4.10.1998).

Iceberg took the whole thing with the humour that would become more
and more prevalent as time passed when the question of the next book
would be discussed. "After consulting with Stephen King, Jordan has
decided to issue the rest of the books one chapter at a time, every
other year. The 30 page pamphlets will be $14.95 each, published by PT
Barnum Publishing and TOBEM Books. When asked about this odd
arrangement in the latest World Wide Weekly Star-Inquirer, Jordan said
he was God and he can do anything he wants, as long as his wife and
mother -and contrary to rumors his wife and mother are not the same
person - said it was OK." ("Re: Anybody know when the next book is
coming and its title?", 27.2.1997). Questions about the next book
still abounded, though - here's an example: "Nice People, My mom, an
EOTW fan till she dies, has asked me to pop in and ask if there is
even a tentative release date on the next book of the series. Any info
greatly appreciated by the Momster." (From: Mamie, "Release Date?",
15.6.1998). Jennifer Lewis was nice enough to give the required info -
next book tentatively scheduled for November 1998 - and received a
heartfelt thanks. "Oh, you have made my Mommy a very happy woman! May
your camels never have fleas and your children never need
orthodontia." (From: Mamie, "Re: Release Date?", 15.6.1998). I wish
everyone had as much style when asking for the next book.

So, let's look at some predictions and wishes for PoD.

Maarten D. de Jong ("Re: Moiraine will return, I actually have some
proof", 18.9.1996): "How I am looking forward to Sorilea vs.
Cadsuane!" And how disappointed he must have been when that scene
fizzled about as much as glass of coke that's spent a day out in the
sun.

elgin ("Re: Atha-an Miere and Mat", 2.12.1996): "The general concensus
is that we will finally find out about TDotNM in the next book, but
maybe not." This is a nice prediction too. The general consensus can't
quite seem to decide what the general consensus is.

Andrew J Codling ("Re: Moirane and Lanfear", 3.1.1998: "I think that
Moraine will return and he has called Lanfears wickedness into
question often enough that she will no doubt return and pledge herself
to the light." I would now like to make a solemn vow, dear readers,
and I call on you to be my witnesses. If Jordan ever brings Lanfear
back and has her recant her evilness, beg the Light's forgiveness and
help Rand win a glorious victory, I will personally hunt Jordan down
and bitchslap him. Thank you.

Klayman ("Re: A little hint on The Path of Daggers", 2.5.1998) treated
the question of what would happen with fashionable ennui: "This has
been run into the ground so many times it's hardly worth mentioning
anymore, but yes, the 8th book will probably deal with the Seanchan,
Mat's upcoming marriage, Rand's battle with Sammael, Logain's pulling
Callandor and deposing Taim, first use of the Bowl of Winds, Moiraine
and Lanfear's reappearance, the discovery that Morgase is still alive,
and several other subplot loose ends being tied up." Man, that's a
*lot* of stuff to put in one book. My suspicion is, Klayman hadn't
actually read any of the books. Or he was expecting PoD to be 3500
pages long.

Raphael ("Re: A little hint on The Path of Daggers", 3.5.1998)
elabourated on the theories about Mat's part in PoD: "Remember the end
in A Crown of Swords? Mat is foretold to marry the Daughter of the
Nine Moons, who just happenes to be the Empress' daughter, or some
such. Just at the end of ACoS Mat feels the dice spinning, and when a
house collapses on him and the Seanchan march in; the book ends. So,
naturally, Mat will be a 'slave', or whatever nifty thing the Seanchan
calls their subjects and taken as Suroths 'pet' back to the Empire.
She had such aspirations, I seem to recall ...." Yes, naturally.
Suroth is aspiring to get a pet and go back to Seanchan. How could I
have missed that.

Gopher ("Path of Daggers cover...", 20.7.1998) tried to guess what
would happen in the book after seeing the new cover on a website: "Any
ideas on what it means? Rand holding Callandor and leading an army.
Hmmm..." It doesn't look like Callandor to me. Looks like a sword. It
is interesting that he's leading an army, though, since he seems to
spend only a fraction of the whole series doing that.

A ("PoD proposed plots", 20.8.1998) had several predictions to offer.
"Perrin meets the whitecloaks again. This time they join him following
Galad's leadership. Galad then meets Berelain and starts on the path
that will lead him to the Sun Throne. I think Morgase will also join
this group." I'd be interested in seeing how Galad would go about
convincing the Whitecloaks to follow Perrin. Or why Galad himself
would follow Perrin and his Manetheren banner. "Thom and Mat will
enter another redstone terangreal to the snakes and foxes where Mat
will lose his eye and Thom will rescue Moiraine." This is a familiar
prediction, and it crops up before Winter's Heart too. We'll just have
to wait and see.

Here's a predecessor of the "shit we'll never see..." project
Cyberwollf started. Jason ("Wouldn't it be cool...", 10.1.1998):
"Wouldn't it be cool if Matt slapped Elayne. So hard he broke her jaw.
She needs it. I really think she does. Wouldn't it be cool if Taim had
secretly been training the entire black tower to be loyal to the Dark
One? Wouldn't it be cool if Rand and the Asha'man raided Salidar and
killed all the Warders?" Yes, it probably would. Won't happen though.

Areff D ("Re: Wouldn't it be cool...", 11.1.1998): "Wouldn't it be
cool if Nynaeve tugs her braid and finally pulls her whole damn scalp
off?" All she needs. Another reason to bitch. She'd probably blame it
on a man too.

Not everyone was interested in this sort of discussion - the group was
still too obsessed with seriousness. Doc Hogan ("Re: Wouldn't it be
cool...", 11.1.1998): "Wouldn't it be cool if idiots were sterilized?"
This is reminiscent of the Idiot Cull-idea introduced later by Jade
Tseng. But that's another story.

The idea was alluring, though, and others also started making posts
displaying their own wishes.

Alexander Kyle ("What do YOU want to happen?", 15.5.1998): "use the
damn bowl NOWWWWWWWW!!!!" Well, I guess Jordan was paying attention.
"I think a new character must be added to slap Elayne, just to slap
her and do nothing else. slap slap slap." Nah, we just need to get
Lini back into Andor. "Moiraine has been on vacation TOO long now. I
don't care if she falls out of a mirror, doorway, box, or Rand's bed,
but she's gotta get back and rescue Rand from all the many 'daggers'
lining his path." Yay. Just as everything seems to be going to hell,
Moiraine will appear out of nowhere and save the day. No thanks. "I
want another book WITHOUT Perrin's perspective." *snigger* Well, they
got a book that was missing *one* character, at least.

Etherman ("Re: What do YOU want to happen?", 16.5.1998) had the
following wishes: "Rand: Travel to the WT and Balefire every AS and
Accepted. The Novices will be much more pliant after that. Use
Compulsion to make Egwene take an oath of fealty." This would
definitely make things a lot easier. But think of all the agonising
soul-searching we'd have to put up with from Rand after that. "Perrin:
Slap your bitch up. Bend Berelain over and dry fuck her up the ass,
then kick her to the curb." *snigger* Etherman was, contrary to
popular belief, the man who paved the way for what AFRJ is today.
"Elayne: Remove steel rod from ass. Lower nose." See? "Aviendha: Have
a threesome with Elayne and Min. Min: Kill Elayne and Aviendha after
aforementioned threesome." See? See? "Verin: Admit that you're the
Daughter of the Nine Moons." I'd pay good money to see that. "Siuane:
Put out to pay off your debt." I wouldn't pay money to see that.
"Taim: Admit that your secret identity is Owyn." Ah yes, Etherman's
pet theory. "Chosen, er, um...I mean Forsaken: Just gang up on Rand."
Such a simple suggestion, and so difficult to accomplish. "DO: No one
is so far from the Light..." *shudder* That would be terrible.

Hotaru825 ("Re: What do YOU want to happen?", 17.5.1998): "Egwene
sends a letter to Rand that says, "Guess what? I'm the Amrylin Seat.
Wanna come over for tea sometime?" That would be neat. But it would
also require communication, and we just can't be having with that.
"Lanfear emerges from *finnland horribly disfigured and with a nice
silver collar around her neck, and Moi with the bracelets." This would
also be neat. But a mindtrap is good too. "Rand somehow hooks up with
the aforementioned pair and decides to do a little hands-on research
as to whether having a threesome is more fun with the collar/bracelet
set..." With Moiraine? *shudder* "Verin turns out to be Lini's mother.
Laras turns out to be ta'veren. Sevanna killed Asmodean. Bela killed
Asmodean. Asmodean killed himself. Bela is ta'veren." These are all
silly, I refuse to comment. "It turns out that Machin Shin isn't a
killer; it's just misunderstood. It apologizes for fouling up the Ways
and works with Loial to regrow them." Now *this*, I like.

ErrandW18 also had a prediction ("Re: Path of Daggers"): "My
prediction for PoD: Egwene gets laid" to which Cowman (5.10.1998)
made the brilliant comeback, "No she won't cos she has a Headache."
But S. Topp had a solution (6.10.1998): "Yeah ... but then Halima
comes in, massages her temples, and things start going from there ...
Then, in December, the XXX video of PoD comes out ..."

Soon, the big day was approaching, and people were looking forward to
it with great anticipation. "Is it just me, or does anyone else think
that Robert Jordan should stop writing all these other stories and get
on with WoT?? /.../ I'm sooooooo sick of waiting for PoD to come out.
I wish Jordan would stop getting sidetracked and start writing the
things everybody wants to really read!!" (from JC, "Re: For All You
Thirsty People", 21.9.1998). Sam Spencer started counting days
("Countdown to PoD.", 3.1.1998): "Due to (absolutely no) popular
demand, I'm going to keep a counter in my sig to the release of PoD.
Since we have no specific date, this will have to be in (approximate)
months, or even seasons." And he did, ending up with the following
sig.:

--
Sam - sp...@spen.demon.co.uk <remove p in spam to email>
"I don't mind feeling like a confused rodent and working long hours,

Tsk tsk. Too many lines. LowCunning also started counting days, but at
least he waited until there was a specific date ("Can't.. hold out..",
4.10.1998): "*Pant* Wait almost painful... Must hold out 16 more
days... Re-read series... Need new book... " It woke up other people
in the group. "ACK!!! does the new book come out in 16 day?????
Crap!!! thats not enought time to re-read the series!!!! Dear lord
WAHT AM I GOING TO DO!!!!" (from Moose, "Re: Can't.. hold out..",
4.101998). First, slowly move your finger away from the capslock
key...that's a good lad...

Vermilion finally got tired of the whole hype ("Re: Ship date of POD
if ordered from amazon.com", 5.9.1998) when a poster by the name of
Lord Jeb wrote about how he had ordered the book from Amazon. "I just
received a reply to an e-mail I sent to amazon.com", Jeb wrote, "It
seems that they will be shipping my copy of POD on the day of release
or the day after. Of course I promply cancelled my order and reserved
a copy at my local independant bookseller. If you have to have this
book as soon as possible, don't get it from amazon.com!" Vermillion
was a bit disgusted. "Of course, if you're able to take a deep breath
and realize that having to wait one or two whole extra days to read
this book isn't going to mean a damn thing in the final accounting of
your life, Amazon.com is an easy and convenient way to get a copy."

After all this fussing, the mood soon turned black when more and more
people got the book and read it.

Rovers2000 ("What I thought of Path of Daggers", 21.10.1998): "Good
lord, I waited for a freakin year for this damn book to come out and
it was the most disapointing read in the entire series. I doesnt do
squat to tie up any loose ends and creates alot more, while this isnt
really a bad thing it was just one of the many things that pissed me
off. /.../ now I must wait another long year for the next book......"
A year? What an optimist.

Sandy ("review", 24.10.1998): "It seems to me after 4000+ pages Mr.
Jordan ought to be through introducing characters, resurrecting bad
guys from the dead and presenting even the most useless information in
microscopic detail. I am starting to get the impression Jordans' main
concern is not to entertain but to cash the checks these books bring
in as long as possible." A similar opinion was voiced by many others.
But hey, Jordan's got to make a living, I guess.

Nathan Dunning didn't mean to criticise PoD when he wrote, "I'd look
it up, but my copy is currently floating about 100 miles offshore" - I
seem to recall Nathan working for the navy - but John Hilsman turned
the comment upside down with the retort, "I knew some ppl were upset
about PoD, but this seems extreme :) Nice throw!" ("Re: Lan & Rand
q's", 4.11.1998). Not bad, Hilsman. Not bad at all.

Jeff Wescott ("Path of Daggers", 11.11.1998) "I just finished his
latest, Path of Daggers. And after years of waiting, I must say I am
disappointed. The book is about 90 percent filler/literary padding and
about 10 percent good plot. He seems to blow more time on telling us
how his bitchy female characters can't seem to get along (despite the
fact that the world is at stake) and other minor character details
that he has already hammered in previous novels. The only real
interest crops up at the butt end of the book, with the siege of Tar
Valon and Elayne's entrance into Camelyn and maybe with Faile's
capture by the Shaido. And there he leaves us." Yup. In fact, he
leaves us waiting for the siege for more than just PoD. "Don't get me
wrong. I am a HUGE Jordan fan. But this book just seems like a
slipshod job, a cop out. The technical writing skills are there but
there is no creativity. Oh well. Maybe in another two or three years
his next will be better." Optimism still blooms, despite everything.

Evan Asselstine ("POD Is Jordan Losing it??", 13.11.1998): "There are
a number of discrepancies and backward moves in this book that make me
think that Jordan is experiencing something close to what Elayne felt
as she tried to unweave her portal. /.../ A whole book without one
mention of Matt Cauthon anywhere. I think Jordan wrote himself into a
corner in COS with the wall falling on Matt and now can't think of a
way to extricate him from that situation." What? i thought Jordan had
the whole series planned out. "At the end of Crown of Swords we see a
much more rational Rand who is coming to grips with some of his
demons. Great expectations for POD and yet here he is on the brink of
madness and Cadusanne not helping him at all." Damn that Cadusanne.
"The maidens abandoning Rand, beating him after they know what he went
through with Aes Sadai. I DON"T THINK SO!! Get a grip Jordan, no
matter how they felt their honor had been sullied they also know what
happenned." I agree with this. Rand has a big, unhealed wound in his
side, and his protectors decide to beat him up. "What did this book
really accomplish? Nothing. Maybe it's time Jordan picked up the weave
and finished off the series before he loses touch totally with what is
going on."

Many readers were especially miffed at the fact that Mat got no
mention whatsoever, and was stranded under a house for what seemed
like months. Webby dispersed this suspicion with "Actually, PoD
covered about one week of Randland time. So Mat was only under a house
for one week" ("Re: Path of Daggers too short (SPOILERS)",
30.12.1998). I wonder if this was supposed to cheer people up. No no,
he wasn't under the house for three months - only a week!

Thomas Moore ("Did RJ write tPoD?", 22.1.2000): Does anyone else
notice the format writing in tPoD? It does not seem like the other
books, the writing is flat and almost format: when describing Faile
use bird imagery, Perrrin use canine analogies, Rand use steel and
cold images, etc." Well yes, but that's because Faile is the falcon,
and Perrin is the wolfbrother, and Rand has to be really hard and cold
to ... er ... right.

Ye Naing Oo ("Re: POD", 18.8.1999) put into words what the basic
problem with PoD was. "POD is Half a book, not whole....... it
finishes too abruptly and does not end like the others..... important
details are missing too (such as quotations of one or more prophecys
of the dragon at the end of each book). Soooooooo, to make it look as
big and as complete as the others, and basically make us spend money
fooling us into thinking we'll be getting as good a book as previous,
TOR made the letters and spacing extra BIG. Just so the book would be
thicker. Seems that way. Look and compare."

Now, don't get me wrong. Not everyone thought PoD was a bad book, and
there was plenty of praise offered too.

Digital ("Re: POD Is Jordan Losing it??", 23.11.1998): "PoD is an
incredible piece of work with almost no flaws." Okay, okay, let's not
exaggerate. Sheesh. From one extremity to another.

When Rusty Trosclair was upset at the fact that Jordan was missing
from PoD - "MAT IS NOT EVEN MENTIONED IN PATH OF DAGGERS!! What the
hell is wrong with RJ?? We all need our Mat fix!" - AKO curtly
replied, "It's called 'suspense'. Look it up." ("Re: What the hell is
wrong with Robert Jordan?!?", 2.3.2000). Looking it up won't help,
since Jordan has his own definition of 'suspense'. It goes, 'nothing
less than four years'.

rarehero ("Re: My first post here. Take it easy now... ;)",
27.3.1999): "Path of Daggers rocked. All his books rock. I would read
600 pages of Rand taking a shit and enjoy it." You know, I don't doubt
it. Good Lord. Jordan could probably write quite a long description of
that, too. Starting with the texture of the toilet paper.

Okay, now beside the people who felt the book was terrible, and the
ones that felt ... well, like rarehero, there were those who went for
the middle ground. One of them was Creepy Ghoul himself ("Re: PoD -
BIG disappointment *spoilers*", 17.12.1998): "i thought POD was more a
filler, a calm in the storm. something to whet your appetite before
the next booms into something big. i thought it promised more for the
next than actually being a disappointment. no, it wasn't
action-packed, but it brought the characters to their new places for
something special. the siege is now ready to being, elayne is where
she ought to be." Yes, she was. And she still is, isn't she? *smirk*
"a disappointment? i don't think so. i was surprised that it didn't
have a climactic ending, but was pleased that something new had been
done, because i found i actually expected a climactic ending. nice to
see it was instead a 'setting up of events' book. after all, RJ isn't
writing a collection of 'complete' novels, but rather, a
loooooooooooooooooooooong story." Well, yes. And obviously, eight
books was nowhere near long enough.

Squeebo had similar thoughts about PoD ("Re: Disappointment - Ouch
!!", 10.10.1999): "I think book 8 was an alignment book. He's planning
some great plot happenings in book 9 /.../ A the very least, we're
going to be seeing a battle at Tar Valon, and Rand has some major shit
on his hands with some Asha'man turning on him. PW Perrin won't have
the spotlight he did in book 8, since he's making the long journey
with the Prophet, so we won't have to read about him trying to assert
his masculinity with Faile. The girls are going to actually be doing
something now /.../ At the worst, book 9 ought to be better than 8."

And then, as always, the wait for the next book began. And I know the
wait feels long every time, but I must say Enigma was exaggerating a
bit when s/he wrote, "It has been about two years and I'm wondering if
Robert Jordan has plans to release a new book?" Eric Truong was of the
same opinion as I am, and replied with "You're trolling, right?" ("Re:
New BOOK!!!!!!!!!", 23.12.1998). T Sean Connolly, in his reply,
displayed a mindset that would soon become prevalent in AFRJ when he
said, "RJ will be releasing his long awaited new book "A Track of
Knives" in March 99. The prologue can be viewed on Tor's website at:
www.tor.com/prologue/troll" ("Re: New BOOK!!!!!!!!!", 23.12.1998).

"The World of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time"

In between the actual novels, Jordan had time to write - or at least
collaborate on - what is popularly known as "The Guide". There was a
lot less anticipation when fans were waiting for it to be published
than there usually is with a book, and there was also only a small
amount of rumours. Constance had a vague memory of hearing about it:
"I *do* remember something about this new WoT Guide, but I can't
recall where I read about it. It's supposed to have some great new
artwork, maps and background information not in the series." ("Re:
Next Book?", 27.11.1996). *muffled sniggering* Yeah. Marisa was also
optimistic: "I think Jordan said something about the depictions of
characters being supervised by him or something." ("Re: Book Covers
(was Hello and a Question)", 24.11.1996). Hee hee hee...yeah...

Illusions were shattered quite soon. David Schumacher ("Re: Guide to
the Wheel of Time", 28.10.1997): "I just bought the Guide today and to
say that I was disappointed with the artwork is about as gross an
understatement as I can make. In fact, to even call the "works" in
this book art is a disgrace to the profession. /.../ The picture of
Lan is so out of proportion that I find myself questioning if the
"artist" has any formal training at all. /.../ I can only hope that
Robert Jordan did NOT approve these because if he did - he hasn't been
paying attention to the descriptions that he himself has written. And
to Mr. Todd Cameron Hamilton I can only say one thing - GO BACK TO ART
SCHOOL!" Oh my, that was harsh. Not undeserved, though. Word got
around about the quality, and when St. Chucky the Chunderous found his
work being compared - favourably, I might add - to that in the Guide,
he commented, "The Guide must somehow manage to both suck and blow at
the same time" ("Re: ISN'T ANYBODY GOING TO SAY THESE ARE CRAP?",
14.9.1999). And it sort of does.

Ben Stahl took an interesting view on these complainst about artwork,
though. "You can't blame Robert Jordan because it's not his book, just
some fans trying to make a buck." ("Re: What gives with his newest
$39.00 book "Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time"?", 30.11.1997). Wow, well,
somebody had better notify Jordan now. He seems to have no idea his
copyrighted material is being exploited by a fan out to make a buck.
Why, they even printed his name on the cover, the dastardly fiends.

Aside from the artwork, though, what has there been to say about the
Guide? Some people were suspicious of it. S. Topp wasn't even planning
on buying the book. "I've always had a hard time reading Encyclopedias
and the like. It's just not that exciting for me." ("Re:
Channeler/Non-Channelers Romance", 6.10.1998).

Bukeye27 didn't want to buy it either, because "from what I saw, the
book wasn't exactly teeming with information." Sam Spencer couldn't
help but ask, "Did you not look at any of the words?" ("Re: What gives
with his newest $39.00 book "Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time"?",
30.11.1997).

The complaint was also that the book shouldn't be used in debates. As
Nathan Dunning said, "you shouldn't site the Guide for anything. It's
not canonical. RJ didn't even write most of it." ("Re: Graendel not
even in the top 3 or 4 suspects", 6.1.1999). My question to this is,
and always has been, why did Jordan let someone publish false
information about his story, using his name?

Most fans, though, have accepted the Guide as a useful source for
background information, especially concerning the Forsaken and the
various countries and their peculiarities. In fact, Radiant took the
existence of the Guide as proof that Jordan was an unusually
convoluted and intricate author. "How many book series do you know of
that have something like the Guide out to help explain them?", she
asked.

Wait, I know what you're going to say now. Chuck&Janica already said
it ("Re: Who's in Rand's head?", 8.6.2000): "Tolkien's Middle Earth,
CS Lewis' Narnia, Piers Anthony's Xanth, Pratchett's Discworld..."
Those two. Always spoiling a good point.

C&J

--
13 & 13b of the CMM Collective
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!

He Who Is Shannon

Oct 20, 2002, 3:55:50 PM10/20/02
Absolutely fascinating, guys. Janica rocks.

Shannon
--
"Combat, in its simplest form,involves shooting, blowing up, or
otherwise wreaking havoc on your enemies."-- The fabulous Ghost Recon manual

"And that's the Majesty of Rock!
The Mystery of Roll!
The darning of the sock!
The scoring of the goal!
The farmer takes a wife!
The barber takes a pole!
We're in this together...and ever..." -- Spinal Tap, "The Majesty of Rock"

"Drink and Drink and Drink and Drink and Drink and Drink and Fight!" --
Buck O Nine, "Irish Drinking Song"

Cass

Oct 20, 2002, 4:38:01 PM10/20/02

"Chucky & Janica" <janica....@pp.inet.fi> wrote in message

> "A Crown of Swords", "A Path of Daggers" and "The World of Robert
> Jordan's Wheel of Time"
<snippies>

> Luckily, though, the early readers of the group had the great pleasure
> of witnessing a visit from Robert Jordan himself ("I am almost
> finished.", 27.2.1996), with the following earth-shattering
> revelation: "In this book the Aes Sedai will have a great battle with
> the Asha'man and somebody will die." I'm sure everyone was surprised -
> usually, we go for books on end without anybody dying. Indeed, Jordan
> was nice enough to give the fans a choice - "Please write and tell me
> who should die" signing the whole thing with "-Your illustrious
> leader, Bob Jordan". Now that's style.

Hehe - And I'm sure the answer then would have been what it is now - Faile
must die.

Technical
> Support felt quite confident about his reasoning when he voiced his
> opinion. "*WHEEL* of Time people. How many spokes are there to a wagon
> wheel? 10. There ya go." ("Re: 13 books in all???", 1.5.1997).

Heh, I would've been behind that theory.

Emet1 suggested it was because "13 is an
> important number in the series as a whole so it would be cool if the
> total number of books equalled 13." ("Re: milk", 17.4.2000). I think
> Robert E. gave this line of thought its best answer when he replied to
> Emet1: "That has gotta be the stupidest fuckin...
> thwapThwapTHWAPTHWAPTHWAP*" ("Re: milk", 18.4.2000).

Ah, Robert E. Where are ya, man?

> elgin ("Re: Atha-an Miere and Mat", 2.12.1996): "The general concensus
> is that we will finally find out about TDotNM in the next book, but
> maybe not." This is a nice prediction too. The general consensus can't
> quite seem to decide what the general consensus is.

*giggle* don't spare the snark, Janica!

I would now like to make a solemn vow, dear readers,
> and I call on you to be my witnesses. If Jordan ever brings Lanfear
> back and has her recant her evilness, beg the Light's forgiveness and
> help Rand win a glorious victory, I will personally hunt Jordan down
> and bitchslap him. Thank you.

I'll carry your bags.

> Here's a predecessor of the "shit we'll never see..." project
> Cyberwollf started. Jason ("Wouldn't it be cool...", 10.1.1998):
> "Wouldn't it be cool if Matt slapped Elayne. So hard he broke her jaw.
> She needs it. I really think she does. Wouldn't it be cool if Taim had
> secretly been training the entire black tower to be loyal to the Dark
> One? Wouldn't it be cool if Rand and the Asha'man raided Salidar and
> killed all the Warders?" Yes, it probably would. Won't happen though.

We need to revive that thread for the upcoming book. There is an upcoming
book isn't there?

> "Taim: Admit that your secret identity is Owyn." Ah yes, Etherman's
> pet theory.

Hmmm...fascinating. But I'm squarely in the Taim is Taim, dammit group and
therefore can't theorize that Taim could be Owyn.

Vermillion
> was a bit disgusted. "Of course, if you're able to take a deep breath
> and realize that having to wait one or two whole extra days to read
> this book isn't going to mean a damn thing in the final accounting of
> your life, Amazon.com is an easy and convenient way to get a copy."

*giggle*

> "The World of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time"

Ah, yes, never actually read it but I've heard it been called "the big white
book of ugly art"

In fact, Radiant took the
> existence of the Guide as proof that Jordan was an unusually
> convoluted and intricate author. "How many book series do you know of
> that have something like the Guide out to help explain them?", she
> asked.
>
> Wait, I know what you're going to say now. Chuck&Janica already said
> it ("Re: Who's in Rand's head?", 8.6.2000): "Tolkien's Middle Earth,
> CS Lewis' Narnia, Piers Anthony's Xanth, Pratchett's Discworld..."
> Those two. Always spoiling a good point.

Yeah, and adding, you know, sense.

Loved it, Janica. Well done. And the scary thing - recognising a lot of
those quoted.

Cass

Ouriana Sedai et al

Oct 21, 2002, 1:13:34 AM10/21/02

Thus spake C&J:

>"A Crown of Swords", "A Path of Daggers" and "The World of Robert
>Jordan's Wheel of Time"

Yah! More History!

>Lord Jeb wrote about how he had ordered the book from Amazon. "I just
>received a reply to an e-mail I sent to amazon.com", Jeb wrote, "It
>seems that they will be shipping my copy of POD on the day of release
>or the day after. Of course I promply cancelled my order and reserved
>a copy at my local independant bookseller. If you have to have this
>book as soon as possible, don't get it from amazon.com!"

That is frightening. God forbid that after waiting two years, one would have to
wait two more days to read the next book.

>After all this fussing, the mood soon turned black when more and more
>people got the book and read it.

There is a surprise.

>Thomas Moore ("Did RJ write tPoD?", 22.1.2000): Does anyone else
>notice the format writing in tPoD? It does not seem like the other
>books, the writing is flat and almost format: when describing Faile
>use bird imagery, Perrrin use canine analogies, Rand use steel and
>cold images, etc." Well yes, but that's because Faile is the falcon,
>and Perrin is the wolfbrother, and Rand has to be really hard and cold
>to ... er ... right.

Uh-huh. Pervy Rand-Fancier, you are.

>rarehero ("Re: My first post here. Take it easy now... ;)",
>27.3.1999): "Path of Daggers rocked. All his books rock. I would read
>600 pages of Rand taking a shit and enjoy it." You know, I don't doubt
>it. Good Lord. Jordan could probably write quite a long description of
>that, too. Starting with the texture of the toilet paper.

*pays*

*collapses*

Julie
--
Fallen Angel
CMM Collective 9 of 6

Marek Mercury

Oct 21, 2002, 9:34:38 AM10/21/02
janica....@pp.inet.fi (Chucky & Janica) scrawled:

Excellent work Janica. Eeenteresting. I see you are becoming more
sardonic as the history continues.

I was curious at the response to Strike at Shayol Ghul. Was there one?

Marek

--
Screw you guys, I'm going home.
-Eric Cartman

bruce

Oct 21, 2002, 8:48:32 AM10/21/02
On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 19:23:58 GMT Chucky & Janica <janica....@pp.inet.fi> wrote:

> "A Crown of Swords", "A Path of Daggers" and "The World of Robert
> Jordan's Wheel of Time"

Well done. Excellent work as always. Some notes..

> By the time AFRJ was founded, fans all over the world were eagerly
> awaiting the publication of "A Crown of Swords", the seventh book in
> the Wheel of Time series.

The group was created in '93, which is the year tFoH was published. I'm sure
you meant to say something like, "By the time AFRJ had regular traffic" :)

> Readers have also tried to figure out how many books there would be by
> looking at clues in the books. I already mentioned the "10 spokes in a
> wheel" theory, but here are some more. Jason Blore said "Before
> reading 'A Crown of Swords' my cousin told me that it would be the
> final book in the series. Seven books for seven spokes on the Wheel of
> Time. Now obviously this has turned out to be false... So has anyone
> heard anything official?" ("A question and a topic for discussion",
> 9.5.1998). Nope, sorry, still no official word. Your cousin is an
> idiot, though. JKul came to the conclusion that there would be 13
> books, "for the 13 aes sedai/myrddraal." ("Re: Book #8?", 16.5.1998).
> Others have also voted for 13 books, but for different reasons.
> Imladolen0 thought it was because "RJ loves to play with ideas and
> stories that seem famaliar, and seems to like the number 13 a heck of
> a lot" ("Re: How long do you think?", 15.6.1998), whereas Darren
> Hoshek's News felt it would be because "by the way how many forsaken
> where there again?" ("Re: 12 books????? was: Re: Disappointment -
> Ouch !!", 12.10.1999). Emet1 suggested it was because "13 is an
> important number in the series as a whole so it would be cool if the
> total number of books equalled 13." ("Re: milk", 17.4.2000). I think
> Robert E. gave this line of thought its best answer when he replied to
> Emet1: "That has gotta be the stupidest fuckin...
> thwapThwapTHWAPTHWAPTHWAP*" ("Re: milk", 18.4.2000).

There's a "13 book" thread you haven't mentioned, perhaps because it was
only earlier this year. I can't google up the details as I'm not online atm,
but I remember I replied to it, listing some of the less well-known
instances of the number 13 in the books. Things like Suroth commissioning 13
bells for the celebrations, there being 13 sins carved on the Knitting
Circle's mantelpiece, 13 Eldest in the knitting circle, 13 Atha'an Miere
matriarchs (the First 12 + the Wave Mistress), etc.

I don't subscribe to that theory myself. I have no idea how many books he'll
eventually write, except I think there must be 3 or 4 more, at least (1 for
TG, the other 2-3 to clean up dangling plot threads)

> While everyone was waiting for the next book, Path of Daggers, meaghan
> buchanan started a thread called "new book!" with the following joyous
> news: "just a note to say that book 7-A Crown of Swords is now
> officially for sale, at least in Canada!" (23.9.1998). I thought it
> was Australia that was several years behind the rest of the world.
> Didn't know Canada belonged to that group too.

Hehe. Could this have been a paperback release? ISTR someone posting about
aPoD's release over a year late too.

> next book was entitled 'The Strike at Shaoyl Gul'". Had this been

When did tSaSG go online? Was there any sort of announcement on the group?

> Here's a predecessor of the "shit we'll never see..." project
> Cyberwollf started. Jason ("Wouldn't it be cool...", 10.1.1998):
> "Wouldn't it be cool if Matt slapped Elayne. So hard he broke her jaw.
> She needs it. I really think she does. Wouldn't it be cool if Taim had
> secretly been training the entire black tower to be loyal to the Dark
> One? Wouldn't it be cool if Rand and the Asha'man raided Salidar and
> killed all the Warders?" Yes, it probably would. Won't happen though.

I wonder what Jason expected them to do with the Aes Sedai? (apart from the
obvious..) This was before we knew of "the extra bit."

> Alexander Kyle ("What do YOU want to happen?", 15.5.1998): "use the
> damn bowl NOWWWWWWWW!!!!" Well, I guess Jordan was paying attention.
> "I think a new character must be added to slap Elayne, just to slap
> her and do nothing else. slap slap slap." Nah, we just need to get

Hehe. Avi did the slapping in WH. Wish she'd do more of it..

> Soon, the big day was approaching, and people were looking forward to
> it with great anticipation. "Is it just me, or does anyone else think
> that Robert Jordan should stop writing all these other stories and get
> on with WoT?? /.../ I'm sooooooo sick of waiting for PoD to come out.
> I wish Jordan would stop getting sidetracked and start writing the
> things everybody wants to really read!!" (from JC, "Re: For All You
> Thirsty People", 21.9.1998). Sam Spencer started counting days

Speaking of his other stuff, have you encountered much mention of it in your
study of the History? I keep meaning to read _The Conan Chronicles_ (the
library has it). Not so sure I want to read the Fallon trilogy though - it's
US civil war, and that just doesn't interest me, at all. Is there anything
else?

> Nathan Dunning didn't mean to criticise PoD when he wrote, "I'd look
> it up, but my copy is currently floating about 100 miles offshore" - I
> seem to recall Nathan working for the navy - but John Hilsman turned
> the comment upside down with the retort, "I knew some ppl were upset
> about PoD, but this seems extreme :) Nice throw!" ("Re: Lan & Rand
> q's", 4.11.1998). Not bad, Hilsman. Not bad at all.

Where is Hilsman these days? I can't even think of when he last posted. You
still lurking John?

> Most fans, though, have accepted the Guide as a useful source for
> background information, especially concerning the Forsaken and the
> various countries and their peculiarities. In fact, Radiant took the

I'm pretty sure the other group consider it non-canonical.

Recently I saw a paperback version of the guide (sans artwork) selling for
$5.95 (for the foreigners: that's ultra cheap - a paperback novel goes for
around $20). I'm thinking of buying it.
--
Joshua "bruce" Crawford Registered Linux user #173468
Replace "deadspam" with "hotpop" for email http://counter.li.org

Chucky & Janica

Oct 21, 2002, 12:18:58 PM10/21/02
Way back on Sun, 20 Oct 2002 19:55:50 GMT, this dweeb called He Who Is
Shannon <revsh...@IDONTLIKESPAM.earthlink.net> kirjoitti viestissä:

>Absolutely fascinating, guys. Janica rocks.

[J] I try. It was a bit unfortunate that I finished the History for
this weekend, when both you and Chucky also posted your stories. But
ah, it can't be helped.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 21, 2002, 12:19:00 PM10/21/02
Way back on Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:38:01 GMT, this dweeb called "Cass"
<cassio...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> who should die" signing the whole thing with "-Your illustrious
>> leader, Bob Jordan". Now that's style.
>
>Hehe - And I'm sure the answer then would have been what it is now - Faile
>must die.

[J] Very probable. Although there were quite a few people who probably
would have voted for Elayne.

>> Emet1 suggested it was because "13 is an
>> important number in the series as a whole so it would be cool if the
>> total number of books equalled 13." ("Re: milk", 17.4.2000). I think
>> Robert E. gave this line of thought its best answer when he replied to
>> Emet1: "That has gotta be the stupidest fuckin...
>> thwapThwapTHWAPTHWAPTHWAP*" ("Re: milk", 18.4.2000).
>
>Ah, Robert E. Where are ya, man?

[J] Yeah, I know. He came back once, stayed long enough to pull his
spork from the ceiling in the Inn, and then he disappeared again.

>> elgin ("Re: Atha-an Miere and Mat", 2.12.1996): "The general concensus
>> is that we will finally find out about TDotNM in the next book, but
>> maybe not." This is a nice prediction too. The general consensus can't
>> quite seem to decide what the general consensus is.
>
>*giggle* don't spare the snark, Janica!

[J] Oh, okay. Next time I'll stop being nice, then.

>> I would now like to make a solemn vow, dear readers,
>> and I call on you to be my witnesses. If Jordan ever brings Lanfear
>> back and has her recant her evilness, beg the Light's forgiveness and
>> help Rand win a glorious victory, I will personally hunt Jordan down
>> and bitchslap him. Thank you.
>
>I'll carry your bags.

[J] Hee hee hee, no need, Chucky already promised to come along, and
the bag-carrying is his job. We can concentrate our energies on Jordan
instead.

>> Here's a predecessor of the "shit we'll never see..." project
>

>We need to revive that thread for the upcoming book. There is an upcoming
>book isn't there?

[J] Yep, I've actually thought about that. "Crossroads of Twilight" is
scheduled for January 2003 over here, and I'm assuming that's fairly
close to the world-wide release date. In a month or two, I'm
predicting an upsurge in on-topic posts and returning posters, and
that might be the time to start this thread again. Close enough to the
release date so that nobody loses interest in between.

>> "Taim: Admit that your secret identity is Owyn." Ah yes, Etherman's
>> pet theory.
>
>Hmmm...fascinating. But I'm squarely in the Taim is Taim, dammit group and
>therefore can't theorize that Taim could be Owyn.

[J] Oh, that's okay, nobody but Etherman ever bought that theory
anyway.

>> "The World of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time"
>
>Ah, yes, never actually read it but I've heard it been called "the big white
>book of ugly art"

[J] It really is rather ugly. Like very bad water colour paintings.
But it's still worth it, I think, for the information it offers. I
actually saw it as a paperback copy a few eeks ago, costing about 8 US
dollars.

>> Wait, I know what you're going to say now. Chuck&Janica already said
>> it ("Re: Who's in Rand's head?", 8.6.2000): "Tolkien's Middle Earth,
>> CS Lewis' Narnia, Piers Anthony's Xanth, Pratchett's Discworld..."
>> Those two. Always spoiling a good point.
>
>Yeah, and adding, you know, sense.
>
>Loved it, Janica. Well done. And the scary thing - recognising a lot of
>those quoted.

[J] *grin* I know what you mean. But don't feel frightened - from now
on, I'll be jumping back and forth in time quite a lot, especially
when I talk about different theories and stuff. So there will be more
and more familiar names.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 21, 2002, 12:19:02 PM10/21/02
Way back on 21 Oct 2002 05:13:34 GMT, this dweeb called
xylo...@aol.comewithme (Ouriana Sedai et al) kirjoitti viestissä:

>>Lord Jeb wrote about how he had ordered the book from Amazon. "I just
>>received a reply to an e-mail I sent to amazon.com", Jeb wrote, "It
>>seems that they will be shipping my copy of POD on the day of release
>>or the day after. Of course I promply cancelled my order and reserved
>>a copy at my local independant bookseller. If you have to have this
>>book as soon as possible, don't get it from amazon.com!"
>
>That is frightening. God forbid that after waiting two years, one would have to
>wait two more days to read the next book.

[J] *grin* Indeed. I can't believe he had the audacity to be indignant
about the fact that Amazon wouldn't sell the book before it was
officially released.

>>After all this fussing, the mood soon turned black when more and more
>>people got the book and read it.
>
>There is a surprise.

[J] Hah, yeah. I've tentatively identified a wave-motion on the group,
and I'm now waiting for it to be confirmed. About a month before each
book, there are a bunch of posts about the books and the different
theories when everyone is waiting for the new book. Then there is a
period of a few weeks when everyone is quiet, reading the new book.
Then, everyone goes "Oh." and sits around morosely, complaining about
how bad the book was.

>>Thomas Moore ("Did RJ write tPoD?", 22.1.2000): Does anyone else
>>notice the format writing in tPoD? It does not seem like the other
>>books, the writing is flat and almost format: when describing Faile
>>use bird imagery, Perrrin use canine analogies, Rand use steel and
>>cold images, etc." Well yes, but that's because Faile is the falcon,
>>and Perrin is the wolfbrother, and Rand has to be really hard and cold
>>to ... er ... right.
>
>Uh-huh. Pervy Rand-Fancier, you are.

[J] Hey, who could resist those well-turned calves?

I never really understood that phrase, by the way. Well-turned?

>>rarehero ("Re: My first post here. Take it easy now... ;)",
>>27.3.1999): "Path of Daggers rocked. All his books rock. I would read
>>600 pages of Rand taking a shit and enjoy it." You know, I don't doubt
>>it. Good Lord. Jordan could probably write quite a long description of
>>that, too. Starting with the texture of the toilet paper.
>
>*pays*
>
>*collapses*

[J] *grin* Glad you liked it. More to follow.

~Brian~

Oct 21, 2002, 4:05:15 PM10/21/02
From: "Chucky & Janica" <janica....@pp.inet.fi>

> [J] I try. It was a bit unfortunate that I finished the History for
> this weekend, when both you and Chucky also posted your stories. But
> ah, it can't be helped.

Someone else is writing stories? Who would that be? *grin*

Again with the kudus Mrs. Hindle!

~B

--
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dungeon/4871

alt.fan.robert-jordan
http://www.afrj-monkeyhouse.org/

We actually do have a research team on crack.

He Who Is Shannon

Oct 21, 2002, 5:09:32 PM10/21/02

Chucky & Janica wrote:
> Way back on Sun, 20 Oct 2002 19:55:50 GMT, this dweeb called He Who Is
> Shannon <revsh...@IDONTLIKESPAM.earthlink.net> kirjoitti viestissä:
>

>>Absolutely fascinating, guys. Janica rocks.
>

> [J] I try. It was a bit unfortunate that I finished the History for
> this weekend, when both you and Chucky also posted your stories. But
> ah, it can't be helped.

By the way, Chucky, I've begun work on a project titled "Not Another
Robert Jordan Movie", featuring Stifler.

Satsujinki - Kabuki Man Extraordinaire - I like big butts and I cannot lie u other brotherz can't deny when a girl walks in with a itty, bitty, waist and a round thing in ur face u get sprung

Oct 21, 2002, 9:18:17 PM10/21/02
"Ouriana Sedai et al" <xylo...@aol.comewithme> wrote in message

| That is frightening. God forbid that after waiting two years, one would have to
| wait two more days to read the next book.

heh I think I mentioned I wait at least 6 months to a year after the release to buy it as
its at this time the books are on sale for about NZ$5, thats about US$2.50 (pronounced two
fitty.)

--
"Bushido is Being Dead"

altCMMCollective: 0088 of 1000
"You Bastards are Irrelevent."

<Zhang ZiYi as a hat>

Never, EVER go to google and do a search for "who let the dogs out" and click I'm feeling
lucky. NEVER!!!!

Mosuke Ichikawa-san of the Ninja Burger Ninja Clan

Battle mail Kung Fu grandmaster of the Voodoo Pimp daddy style

"It's the man's obligation
to stick his boneration
in the woman's separation
to increase the population
of the younger generation."
- Eric Cartman

Uncle Traveling Matt

Oct 21, 2002, 9:52:41 PM10/21/02
Chucky & Janica wrote:

> Way back on Sun, 20 Oct 2002 19:55:50 GMT, this dweeb called He Who Is
> Shannon <revsh...@IDONTLIKESPAM.earthlink.net> kirjoitti viestissä:
>
> >Absolutely fascinating, guys. Janica rocks.
>
> [J] I try. It was a bit unfortunate that I finished the History for
> this weekend, when both you and Chucky also posted your stories. But
> ah, it can't be helped.

Truth be told, it was the only one I read.

Well...skimmed really. But you know me - that took major effort.

Matt

--

"I take a whiskey drink,
I take a chocolate drink,

Uncle Traveling Matt

Oct 21, 2002, 9:53:09 PM10/21/02
~Brian~ wrote:

> From: "Chucky & Janica" <janica....@pp.inet.fi>
>
> > [J] I try. It was a bit unfortunate that I finished the History for
> > this weekend, when both you and Chucky also posted your stories. But
> > ah, it can't be helped.
>
> Someone else is writing stories? Who would that be? *grin*

Tony.

M@

Uncle Traveling Matt

Oct 21, 2002, 10:00:06 PM10/21/02
Chucky & Janica wrote:

> Way back on 21 Oct 2002 05:13:34 GMT, this dweeb called
> xylo...@aol.comewithme (Ouriana Sedai et al) kirjoitti viestissä:
>
> >That is frightening. God forbid that after waiting two years, one would have to
> >wait two more days to read the next book.
>
> [J] *grin* Indeed. I can't believe he had the audacity to be indignant
> about the fact that Amazon wouldn't sell the book before it was
> officially released.

And that they don't have a method to ship instantaneously.

> [J] Hah, yeah. I've tentatively identified a wave-motion on the group,
> and I'm now waiting for it to be confirmed. About a month before each
> book, there are a bunch of posts about the books and the different
> theories when everyone is waiting for the new book. Then there is a
> period of a few weeks when everyone is quiet, reading the new book.
> Then, everyone goes "Oh." and sits around morosely, complaining about
> how bad the book was.

That last part continuing until about a month before the next release,
punctuated by dick and poo jokes.

> >>Thomas Moore ("Did RJ write tPoD?", 22.1.2000): Does anyone else
> >>notice the format writing in tPoD? It does not seem like the other
> >>books, the writing is flat and almost format: when describing Faile
> >>use bird imagery, Perrrin use canine analogies, Rand use steel and
> >>cold images, etc." Well yes, but that's because Faile is the falcon,
> >>and Perrin is the wolfbrother, and Rand has to be really hard and cold
> >>to ... er ... right.
> >
> >Uh-huh. Pervy Rand-Fancier, you are.
>
> [J] Hey, who could resist those well-turned calves?
>
> I never really understood that phrase, by the way. Well-turned?

It means he has disfigured legs. Sort of bendy the wrong way, ala
Misery.

That's why everybody keeps noticing them.

Matt

Ouriana Sedai et al

Oct 22, 2002, 1:47:25 AM10/22/02

Thus spake M@:

>> >That is frightening. God forbid that after waiting two years, one would
>have to
>> >wait two more days to read the next book.
>>
>> [J] *grin* Indeed. I can't believe he had the audacity to be indignant
>> about the fact that Amazon wouldn't sell the book before it was
>> officially released.
>

>And that they don't have a method to ship instantaneously.

And assuming that Amazon did have a teleportaion device and could have gotten
it to him the instant his credit card was approved, he would have whined about
the extra shipping charge.

Standard Shipping (7-10 days) - $5.99
Priority Shipping (2-3 days) - $10.99
Overnight Shipping (next day) - $15.99
Instantaneous shipping using alien technology - (4.572 nanoseconds) $109.99

Funny thing is, I went to the bookstore the day ACoS was released, a mistake I
will never make again.

I have ordered the subsequent books on either Barnes and Noble or Amazon, and
waited the extra 72 hours.

Better than getting trampled by the hordes of drooling fanboys that were
ransacking the science fiction/fantasy section the day ACoS came out. [1]

[1] Of course, since Rj's novels *and* the cover art are both getting
progressively worse, I am sure the fanboys are no longer coming in hordes.
Packs, maybe.

Fae Bard

Oct 22, 2002, 4:53:38 AM10/22/02

"Ouriana Sedai et al" <xylo...@aol.comewithme> wrote in message

> Thus spake C&J:

> >rarehero ("Re: My first post here. Take it easy now... ;)",
> >27.3.1999): "Path of Daggers rocked. All his books rock. I would read
> >600 pages of Rand taking a shit and enjoy it." You know, I don't doubt
> >it. Good Lord. Jordan could probably write quite a long description of
> >that, too. Starting with the texture of the toilet paper.

... and the long, arduous battle against mildew and staph, and exactly what
tactics the outhouse janitors used.

Meghan

***
From the Ashes: an urban fantasy novel set against the backdrop of Pendragon
Renaissance Faire.

Find it at http://www.faire-folk.com

Chucky & Janica

Oct 22, 2002, 1:59:52 PM10/22/02
Way back on 22 Oct 2002 05:47:25 GMT, this dweeb called

xylo...@aol.comewithme (Ouriana Sedai et al) kirjoitti viestissä:

>And assuming that Amazon did have a teleportaion device and could have gotten

>it to him the instant his credit card was approved, he would have whined about
>the extra shipping charge.
>
>Standard Shipping (7-10 days) - $5.99
>Priority Shipping (2-3 days) - $10.99
>Overnight Shipping (next day) - $15.99
>Instantaneous shipping using alien technology - (4.572 nanoseconds) $109.99

Bahahahahaha!! *pays*

Chucky & Janica

Oct 22, 2002, 1:59:51 PM10/22/02
Way back on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:47:07 -0400, this dweeb called John
Hilsman <spam...@this-aint-it.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>>Where is Hilsman these days? I can't even think of when he last posted. You
>>still lurking John?
>

>It has been awhile, I'm still subscribed but I don't follow everything
>in here. I look at the headers once a week or so to see if there's
>anything interesting, this history was pretty cool. Rather surprised
>to see my name in there, too - I've never been one to post a lot.

Glad to see that you're paying attention to the quality stuff. Sorry
if it meant you had to de-file us, narf narf.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 22, 2002, 1:59:55 PM10/22/02
Way back on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:05:15 GMT, this dweeb called "~Brian~"
<bbra...@carolina.nospam> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> [J] I try. It was a bit unfortunate that I finished the History for
>> this weekend, when both you and Chucky also posted your stories. But
>> ah, it can't be helped.
>
>Someone else is writing stories? Who would that be? *grin*

[C] Nobody. I just retired.

>Again with the kudus Mrs. Hindle!

[J] Thanks.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 22, 2002, 2:00:00 PM10/22/02
Way back on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:47:02 -0400, this dweeb called John
Hilsman <spam...@this-aint-it.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>>Nathan Dunning didn't mean to criticise PoD when he wrote, "I'd look

>>it up, but my copy is currently floating about 100 miles offshore" - I
>>seem to recall Nathan working for the navy - but John Hilsman turned
>>the comment upside down with the retort, "I knew some ppl were upset
>>about PoD, but this seems extreme :) Nice throw!" ("Re: Lan & Rand
>>q's", 4.11.1998). Not bad, Hilsman. Not bad at all.
>

>Well thank you.. A mention in the history and a compliment - are you
>running a fever? :)

[J] *grin* Well, I'm trying to make this an impartial History. It
*won't* be, of course, not completely, but I'm still trying to give
credit where credit is due. It was a funny comment, and it illustrated
a point I was making, hence the quote and the compliment.

I hope you won't hold it against me if I occasionally mention you in a
slightly less favourable light. *grin* I can promise I won't make as
much fun of you as I will of Mister C.

>Interesting reading, thanks for compiling and posting these.

[J] Hey, thanks for reading. It's been a pleasure working with this
project, and I'm only just getting started.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 22, 2002, 1:59:57 PM10/22/02
Way back on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:48:32 +1000, this dweeb called bruce
<mor...@deadspam.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> By the time AFRJ was founded, fans all over the world were eagerly
>> awaiting the publication of "A Crown of Swords", the seventh book in
>> the Wheel of Time series.
>
>The group was created in '93, which is the year tFoH was published. I'm sure
>you meant to say something like, "By the time AFRJ had regular traffic" :)

[J] Oh, well yes. The group was created quite late in the year, so I'm
presuming the book was already out. In fact, I'd guess the heightened
traffic caused by the book was what triggered Thomas' creation of the
group in the first place.

>There's a "13 book" thread you haven't mentioned, perhaps because it was
>only earlier this year. I can't google up the details as I'm not online atm,
>but I remember I replied to it, listing some of the less well-known
>instances of the number 13 in the books. Things like Suroth commissioning 13
>bells for the celebrations, there being 13 sins carved on the Knitting
>Circle's mantelpiece, 13 Eldest in the knitting circle, 13 Atha'an Miere
>matriarchs (the First 12 + the Wave Mistress), etc.

[J] I haven't reached that thread in my research yet, but I'll get to
it. I'm trying to deal with subjects that wouldn't have been discussed
in more recent times, and if I find quotes pertaining to older
chapters, I'll update them. Thanks for the reminder, I'll keep an eye
out.

>I don't subscribe to that theory myself. I have no idea how many books he'll
>eventually write, except I think there must be 3 or 4 more, at least (1 for
>TG, the other 2-3 to clean up dangling plot threads)

[J] He seems to say, "about three more" after each book, so I really
won't say anything. I don't see the series finishing any time soon,
unless there are some radical changes in the next book. I certainly
doubt that Jordan has been strewing subtle hints in the books.

>> While everyone was waiting for the next book, Path of Daggers, meaghan
>> buchanan started a thread called "new book!" with the following joyous
>> news: "just a note to say that book 7-A Crown of Swords is now
>> officially for sale, at least in Canada!" (23.9.1998). I thought it
>> was Australia that was several years behind the rest of the world.
>> Didn't know Canada belonged to that group too.
>
>Hehe. Could this have been a paperback release? ISTR someone posting about
>aPoD's release over a year late too.

[J] Yep, I had that one archived as well, but I didn't want to sound
like Terry Brooks. I have to pick and choose.

>> next book was entitled 'The Strike at Shaoyl Gul'". Had this been
>
>When did tSaSG go online? Was there any sort of announcement on the group?

[J] I can't remember when it went online. The Guide was published when
the group was still fairly quiet, so maybe that's why there wasn't
much.

>Speaking of his other stuff, have you encountered much mention of it in your
>study of the History? I keep meaning to read _The Conan Chronicles_ (the
>library has it). Not so sure I want to read the Fallon trilogy though - it's
>US civil war, and that just doesn't interest me, at all. Is there anything
>else?

[J] There hasn't been much mention. Some people have read the Conan
books and found them tolerable, and there have been some positive
comments about Fallon Blood. Other stuff? Hmmm...

*rummages*

Pseudonyms used by James Oliver Rigney:

Robert Jordan -- "Wheel of Time" and "Conan" series.

Reagan O'Neal -- "The Fallon Blood", "The Fallon Pride", and "The
Fallon Legacy"

Jackson O'Reilly -- "Cheyenne Raiders"

Chang Lung -- contributions to various periodicals including Library
Journal, Fantasy Review, and Science Fiction Rewiew.

Chang Lung? Sheesh.

>> Most fans, though, have accepted the Guide as a useful source for
>> background information, especially concerning the Forsaken and the
>> various countries and their peculiarities. In fact, Radiant took the
>
>I'm pretty sure the other group consider it non-canonical.

[J] Oh, they do. And I don't blame them as such - I'm just curious. As
far as i've seen, the Guide doesn't contradict the actual books, only
the comments supposedly made by Jordan. In fact, if anyone in this
group ever goes to a signing, this would be a question to ask - how
reliable is the information in the Guide, and if it's actually false,
why was it published?

Chucky & Janica

Oct 22, 2002, 2:00:01 PM10/22/02
Way back on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:52:41 -0400, this dweeb called Uncle
Traveling Matt <mat...@aol.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> >Absolutely fascinating, guys. Janica rocks.
>>
>> [J] I try. It was a bit unfortunate that I finished the History for
>> this weekend, when both you and Chucky also posted your stories. But
>> ah, it can't be helped.
>
>Truth be told, it was the only one I read.
>
>Well...skimmed really. But you know me - that took major effort.

[J] Don't think I don't appreciate the enormous effort you go through.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 22, 2002, 1:59:48 PM10/22/02
Way back on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:09:32 GMT, this dweeb called He Who Is
Shannon <revsh...@IDONTLIKESPAM.earthlink.net> kirjoitti viestissä:

>By the way, Chucky, I've begun work on a project titled "Not Another

>Robert Jordan Movie", featuring Stifler.

Bahahahahaha!! I love it already.

But this means you're not going to finish the Saga of UuuuUUUUUuuuUU,
doesn't it?

Chucky & Janica

Oct 22, 2002, 2:00:03 PM10/22/02
Way back on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:00:06 -0400, this dweeb called Uncle

Traveling Matt <mat...@aol.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> [J] Hah, yeah. I've tentatively identified a wave-motion on the group,

>> and I'm now waiting for it to be confirmed. About a month before each
>> book, there are a bunch of posts about the books and the different
>> theories when everyone is waiting for the new book. Then there is a
>> period of a few weeks when everyone is quiet, reading the new book.
>> Then, everyone goes "Oh." and sits around morosely, complaining about
>> how bad the book was.
>
>That last part continuing until about a month before the next release,
>punctuated by dick and poo jokes.

[J] Well, obviously.

>> [J] Hey, who could resist those well-turned calves?
>>
>> I never really understood that phrase, by the way. Well-turned?
>
>It means he has disfigured legs. Sort of bendy the wrong way, ala
>Misery.
>
>That's why everybody keeps noticing them.

[J] This makes more sense than Chucky's explanation.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 22, 2002, 1:59:59 PM10/22/02
Way back on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:34:38 GMT, this dweeb called
m.me...@eudoramail.comNOSPAM (Marek Mercury) kirjoitti viestissä:

>Excellent work Janica. Eeenteresting. I see you are becoming more
>sardonic as the history continues.

[J] I think I was having a bad day. And anyway, some chapters will be
more ... deserving of sarcasm, some less. I'm playing it by ear.

>I was curious at the response to Strike at Shayol Ghul. Was there one?

[J] There was actually very little response. The group was still
fairly quiet at the time. "New Spring" gave rise to much more
discussion.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 22, 2002, 1:59:50 PM10/22/02
Way back on Sun, 20 Oct 2002 19:23:58 GMT, this dweeb called
janica....@pp.inet.fi (Chucky & Janica) kirjoitti viestissä:

Skippy, be careful in the water.

>optimism now rarely found in WoT-fans when she hypothesised that "most
>definitely the end of book 7 will be Shai'tan breaking free..." ("Re:
>Predictions for Book 7", 24.1.1995). Boy, must she have been
>disappointed. Three times.

[C] *snicker*

I love these predictions. And the whole "Matt is now on his way to
Seanchan" thing was hilarious too.

>His third prediction was interestingly phrased:
>"Also, the Morgase/whitecloak problem could cumulate." *This* is the
>sort of prediction a true fan would make. Very, very careful.

[C] CUMULATE: Turn into a giant cloud of vapour. All of Jordan's plots
do this eventually.

>revelation: "In this book the Aes Sedai will have a great battle with
>the Asha'man and somebody will die." I'm sure everyone was surprised -
>usually, we go for books on end without anybody dying.

[C] This would be funny enough without your sass, young lady.

>Indeed, Jordan
>was nice enough to give the fans a choice - "Please write and tell me

>who should die" signing the whole thing with "-Your illustrious
>leader, Bob Jordan". Now that's style.

[C] He should have called himself Bobby J. And insulted Eddings in his
post.

>but the artwork was still good.... ACoS is just..... there! Was there
>some kind of mix up or something?"

[C] A mix up. Yes. They used the wrong cover.

>Could it be that Jordan doesn't know what he's
>talking about? Surely not. He's got it all planned out, after all.

[C] But he said...

>Robert E. gave this line of thought its best answer when he replied to
>Emet1: "That has gotta be the stupidest fuckin...
>thwapThwapTHWAPTHWAPTHWAP*" ("Re: milk", 18.4.2000).

[C] *roars of laughter*

>Storm wrote to the group on 22.9.1996 ("LAST BOOK !!!!!!!!!!!"),
>telling everyone how he had "CALLED THE PUBLISHER" and they had told
>him that "MR. JORDANS LAST BOOK IN THE WHEEL OF TIME SERIES WILL COME
>OUT IN 1997". Storm was devastated, almost shattered. "WE MUST WRITE
>TO RJ AND EXPLAIN THAT IN ORDER TO FINISH THIS SERIES IN THE TRADITION
>AND QUALITY OF HIS PREVIOUS BOOKS IN THE SERIES, THAT IT WOULD TAKE AT
>LEAST TWO OR THREE MORE BOOKS." There was too much left unsaid, Storm
>insisted. "HE HAS NOT DEALT WITH THE COORAMOR AND THE PROPHECIES ABOUT
>HIM", and "WHAT ABOUT HOW MATT WILL LOSE HALF THE WORLD TO DARKNESS",
>and "WHAT ABOUT THE FOXES AND SNAKES AND THERE CONNECTION WITH LUC AND
>LANS BROTHER", not to mention that "THE LAST BATTLE ITSELF SHOULD
>COVER A WHOLE BOOK".

[C] *waggles finger in ear*

>Others took the whole situation a bit more calmly, and a bit less
>capitally.

[C] Capitally. Nice.

>Andrew J Codling ("Re: Moirane and Lanfear", 3.1.1998: "I think that
>Moraine will return and he has called Lanfears wickedness into
>question often enough that she will no doubt return and pledge herself
>to the light." I would now like to make a solemn vow, dear readers,

>and I call on you to be my witnesses. If Jordan ever brings Lanfear
>back and has her recant her evilness, beg the Light's forgiveness and
>help Rand win a glorious victory, I will personally hunt Jordan down
>and bitchslap him. Thank you.

[C] Since Cass already offered to carry your bags, I will just be
there in the off chance that you decide he also needs to be shouted at
by a man with tits.

>Yes, naturally.
>Suroth is aspiring to get a pet and go back to Seanchan. How could I
>have missed that.

[C] She was told to do so in that big Darkfriend meeting at the start
of The Great Hunt. "SUROTH, YOU WILL GO TO CHAGGABAGGAWOGGALAND. YOU
WILL PICK UP A PET BOY. YOU WILL THEN RETURN TO SEANCHAN, AND USE HIM
TO CUT DOWN THE LARGEST OAK TREE IN THE WHOLE FOREST..."

>"Wouldn't it be cool if Matt slapped Elayne. So hard he broke her jaw.
>She needs it. I really think she does. Wouldn't it be cool if Taim had
>secretly been training the entire black tower to be loyal to the Dark
>One? Wouldn't it be cool if Rand and the Asha'man raided Salidar and
>killed all the Warders?" Yes, it probably would. Won't happen though.

[C] *sigh*

>"I think a new character must be added to slap Elayne, just to slap
>her and do nothing else. slap slap slap."

[C] I love it. I want to see it.

"And who are you? Ow! What did you do that for? OW!!"

*wistful*

>Slap your bitch up. Bend Berelain over and dry fuck her up the ass,
>then kick her to the curb." *snigger* Etherman was, contrary to
>popular belief, the man who paved the way for what AFRJ is today.

[C] It's a dark chapter in our history, and one that we have tried to
cover up. I was in the unenviable position of the guy who had to send
the Secret Police out to silence Janica, but then had to stop them
because she is the only one who knows how the coffee machine works.

Now I am all bruised and Janica won't make me coffee.

>Crap!!! thats not enought time to re-read the series!!!! Dear lord
>WAHT AM I GOING TO DO!!!!" (from Moose, "Re: Can't.. hold out..",
>4.101998). First, slowly move your finger away from the capslock
>key...that's a good lad...

[C] You've talked down many a Capslocker before.

>Rovers2000 ("What I thought of Path of Daggers", 21.10.1998): "Good
>lord, I waited for a freakin year for this damn book to come out and

[C] And that just about sums it up.

>Digital ("Re: POD Is Jordan Losing it??", 23.11.1998): "PoD is an
>incredible piece of work with almost no flaws." Okay, okay, let's not
>exaggerate. Sheesh. From one extremity to another.

[C] Almost no flaws. Even the foamer couldn't say it was perfect.

>Okay, now beside the people who felt the book was terrible, and the
>ones that felt ... well, like rarehero, there were those who went for
>the middle ground. One of them was Creepy Ghoul himself ("Re: PoD -
>BIG disappointment *spoilers*", 17.12.1998): "i thought POD was more a
>filler, a calm in the storm. something to whet your appetite before

[C] Yep, that's CGP Online alright.

>the next booms into something big. i thought it promised more for the
>next than actually being a disappointment. no, it wasn't
>action-packed, but it brought the characters to their new places for
>something special. the siege is now ready to being, elayne is where

[C] *fast-forwards*

>done, because i found i actually expected a climactic ending. nice to
>see it was instead a 'setting up of events' book. after all, RJ isn't
>writing a collection of 'complete' novels, but rather, a

[C] Yep, it's him.

>around about the quality, and when St. Chucky the Chunderous found his
>work being compared - favourably, I might add - to that in the Guide,
>he commented, "The Guide must somehow manage to both suck and blow at
>the same time" ("Re: ISN'T ANYBODY GOING TO SAY THESE ARE CRAP?",
>14.9.1999). And it sort of does.

[C] I should add that these were my humourous stick-figure-style
scrawls, and they were still being described as better than the stuff
in the Big Ugly Book of Bad Art.

>The complaint was also that the book shouldn't be used in debates. As
>Nathan Dunning said, "you shouldn't site the Guide for anything. It's
>not canonical. RJ didn't even write most of it." ("Re: Graendel not
>even in the top 3 or 4 suspects", 6.1.1999). My question to this is,
>and always has been, why did Jordan let someone publish false
>information about his story, using his name?

[C] But a web interview with him where he says something and it isn't
even in any book, that's acceptable over the Guide. *snort*

>Wait, I know what you're going to say now. Chuck&Janica already said
>it ("Re: Who's in Rand's head?", 8.6.2000): "Tolkien's Middle Earth,
>CS Lewis' Narnia, Piers Anthony's Xanth, Pratchett's Discworld..."
>Those two. Always spoiling a good point.

[C] *grin* For a story as big as the Wheel of Time, it has remarkably
few additional sources. The whole Lord of the Rings series wasn't much
bigger than two Jordan books, and look at everything in that. And
Narnia, that was tiny.

Lovely work, as usual. Of course.

He Who Is Shannon

Oct 22, 2002, 3:32:49 PM10/22/02

Chucky & Janica wrote:
> Way back on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:09:32 GMT, this dweeb called He Who Is
> Shannon <revsh...@IDONTLIKESPAM.earthlink.net> kirjoitti viestissä:
>

>>By the way, Chucky, I've begun work on a project titled "Not Another
>>Robert Jordan Movie", featuring Stifler.
>

> Bahahahahaha!! I love it already.
>
> But this means you're not going to finish the Saga of UuuuUUUUUuuuUU,
> doesn't it?

I may, or may not, the U Saga is a complete bitch to write, whereas
NARJM is complete mental wanking.

~Brian~

Oct 22, 2002, 6:16:30 PM10/22/02
From: "Ouriana Sedai et al" <xylo...@aol.comewithme>

> I have ordered the subsequent books on either Barnes and Noble or Amazon,
and
> waited the extra 72 hours.

I don't know if TOR goofed or Border.com (before Amazon.com bought them out)
but I received WH about 12 days before the official release date.

I remember wanting to read the book and post spoilers in my subject line
over at Rec.arse but I didn't actually start the book until a week later.

Would have been fun...

Uncle Traveling Matt

Oct 22, 2002, 9:47:49 PM10/22/02
He Who Is Shannon wrote:

> Chucky & Janica wrote:
>
> > [J] Don't think I don't appreciate the enormous effort you go through.
> >

> Funny, that's what his girlfriend used to say, too.

Or she would have, were she capable of human emotions.

Uncle Traveling Matt

Oct 22, 2002, 9:50:22 PM10/22/02
Chucky & Janica wrote:

> Way back on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:00:06 -0400, this dweeb called Uncle
> Traveling Matt <mat...@aol.com> kirjoitti viestissä:
>
> >> [J] Hah, yeah. I've tentatively identified a wave-motion on the group,
> >> and I'm now waiting for it to be confirmed. About a month before each
> >> book, there are a bunch of posts about the books and the different
> >> theories when everyone is waiting for the new book. Then there is a
> >> period of a few weeks when everyone is quiet, reading the new book.
> >> Then, everyone goes "Oh." and sits around morosely, complaining about
> >> how bad the book was.
> >
> >That last part continuing until about a month before the next release,
> >punctuated by dick and poo jokes.
>
> [J] Well, obviously.
>
> >> [J] Hey, who could resist those well-turned calves?
> >>
> >> I never really understood that phrase, by the way. Well-turned?
> >
> >It means he has disfigured legs. Sort of bendy the wrong way, ala
> >Misery.
> >
> >That's why everybody keeps noticing them.
>
> [J] This makes more sense than Chucky's explanation.

The lathe? Yeah - someone who worked at an orange factory would say
that.

Cass

Oct 23, 2002, 12:18:28 AM10/23/02

> Way back on Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:38:01 GMT, this dweeb called "Cass"
> <cassio...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä:
>
> >Hehe - And I'm sure the answer then would have been what it is now -
Faile
> >must die.
>
> [J] Very probable. Although there were quite a few people who probably
> would have voted for Elayne.

*weighs* Faile, Elayne...Elayne, Faile....hmmm....tough choice. Anyone?

> >Ah, Robert E. Where are ya, man?
>
> [J] Yeah, I know. He came back once, stayed long enough to pull his
> spork from the ceiling in the Inn, and then he disappeared again.

With his spork? But that was stopping the Inn from falling!

> >*giggle* don't spare the snark, Janica!
>
> [J] Oh, okay. Next time I'll stop being nice, then.

Exactly. We love snarky Janica.

> >> I would now like to make a solemn vow, dear readers,
> >> and I call on you to be my witnesses. If Jordan ever brings Lanfear
> >> back and has her recant her evilness, beg the Light's forgiveness and
> >> help Rand win a glorious victory, I will personally hunt Jordan down
> >> and bitchslap him. Thank you.
> >
> >I'll carry your bags.
>
> [J] Hee hee hee, no need, Chucky already promised to come along, and
> the bag-carrying is his job. We can concentrate our energies on Jordan
> instead.

*rubs hands together* excellent. I'm already preparing as i have a terrible
feeling we might be needed.

By the way, can Chucky carry my bags too then?

> >We need to revive that thread for the upcoming book. There is an upcoming
> >book isn't there?
>
> [J] Yep, I've actually thought about that. "Crossroads of Twilight" is
> scheduled for January 2003 over here, and I'm assuming that's fairly
> close to the world-wide release date. In a month or two, I'm
> predicting an upsurge in on-topic posts and returning posters, and
> that might be the time to start this thread again. Close enough to the
> release date so that nobody loses interest in between.

Man, I have become so jaded I had no idea when the next book was coming out.
But I'm coming up with some delightful hopes and wishes for it.

> >> "Taim: Admit that your secret identity is Owyn." Ah yes, Etherman's
> >> pet theory.
> >
> >Hmmm...fascinating. But I'm squarely in the Taim is Taim, dammit group
and
> >therefore can't theorize that Taim could be Owyn.
>
> [J] Oh, that's okay, nobody but Etherman ever bought that theory
> anyway.

Taim is Taim, dammit.

> >> "The World of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time"
> >
> >Ah, yes, never actually read it but I've heard it been called "the big
white
> >book of ugly art"
>
> [J] It really is rather ugly. Like very bad water colour paintings.
> But it's still worth it, I think, for the information it offers. I
> actually saw it as a paperback copy a few eeks ago, costing about 8 US
> dollars.

There's a copy around the house somewhere...maybe if I cover up the
pictures?

> [J] *grin* I know what you mean. But don't feel frightened - from now
> on, I'll be jumping back and forth in time quite a lot, especially
> when I talk about different theories and stuff. So there will be more
> and more familiar names.

Heh! Maybe even some quotes I remember! Can't wait!

Cass

Uncle Traveling Matt

Oct 23, 2002, 8:56:49 AM10/23/02
"Cass" <cassio...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<oqpt9.45505$Hj7.19797@rwcrnsc53>...

> "Chucky & Janica" <janica....@pp.inet.fi> wrote in message
> > Way back on Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:38:01 GMT, this dweeb called "Cass"
> > <cassio...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä:
> >
> > >Hehe - And I'm sure the answer then would have been what it is now -
> Faile
> > >must die.
> >
> > [J] Very probable. Although there were quite a few people who probably
> > would have voted for Elayne.
>
> *weighs* Faile, Elayne...Elayne, Faile....hmmm....tough choice. Anyone?

Who says it can't be both?

The only real question is how long do they suffer (off-camera of
course) before dying? Weeks or months?

> > >Ah, Robert E. Where are ya, man?
> >
> > [J] Yeah, I know. He came back once, stayed long enough to pull his
> > spork from the ceiling in the Inn, and then he disappeared again.
>
> With his spork? But that was stopping the Inn from falling!

It was a load bearing spork!

> > >*giggle* don't spare the snark, Janica!
> >
> > [J] Oh, okay. Next time I'll stop being nice, then.
>

> Exactly. We love snorky Janica.

Ha - Snorks!

> > [J] Hee hee hee, no need, Chucky already promised to come along, and
> > the bag-carrying is his job. We can concentrate our energies on Jordan
> > instead.
>
> *rubs hands together* excellent. I'm already preparing as i have a terrible
> feeling we might be needed.
>
> By the way, can Chucky carry my bags too then?

I'll carry your fun bags...

> > >Hmmm...fascinating. But I'm squarely in the Taim is Taim, dammit group
> and
> > >therefore can't theorize that Taim could be Owyn.
> >
> > [J] Oh, that's okay, nobody but Etherman ever bought that theory
> > anyway.
>
> Taim is Taim, dammit.

I don't know - Taim is Owyn sounds rather nice to me.

*pokes Cass*

Matt

Marek Mercury

Oct 23, 2002, 10:24:02 AM10/23/02
"Cass" <cassio...@hotmail.com> scrawled:

>"Chucky & Janica" <janica....@pp.inet.fi> wrote in message

>> >Hehe - And I'm sure the answer then would have been what it is now -
>Faile
>> >must die.
>>
>> [J] Very probable. Although there were quite a few people who probably
>> would have voted for Elayne.
>
>*weighs* Faile, Elayne...Elayne, Faile....hmmm....tough choice. Anyone?

Well, Elayne is doing stuff. Faile has no purpose except as a wife and
character killer for Perrin. Name something Faile has done that
couldn't have been carried out by an anvil.

>Man, I have become so jaded I had no idea when the next book was coming out.
>But I'm coming up with some delightful hopes and wishes for it.

My emotions on the new book are staying flat. If i have no
expectations, then i won't get halfway through and think, 'shouldn't
something have happened by now?'. At least, that's the theory.

Marek

--
Screw you guys, I'm going home.
-Eric Cartman

Marek Mercury

Oct 23, 2002, 10:11:38 AM10/23/02
janica....@pp.inet.fi (Chucky & Janica) scrawled:

>Way back on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:34:38 GMT, this dweeb called
>m.me...@eudoramail.comNOSPAM (Marek Mercury) kirjoitti viestissä:
>
>>Excellent work Janica. Eeenteresting. I see you are becoming more
>>sardonic as the history continues.
>
>[J] I think I was having a bad day. And anyway, some chapters will be
>more ... deserving of sarcasm, some less. I'm playing it by ear.

Ah yes. A Jedi's weapon. Keep the drippings coming, it only adds to
the atmosphere.

>>I was curious at the response to Strike at Shayol Ghul. Was there one?
>
>[J] There was actually very little response. The group was still
>fairly quiet at the time. "New Spring" gave rise to much more
>discussion.

I see, or at least, i will see. I am looking forward to the Take-over
episode. Having only heard about this in song and legend. A term used
discussed in tones of awe.

Marek Mercury

Oct 23, 2002, 10:11:39 AM10/23/02
janica....@pp.inet.fi (Chucky & Janica) scrawled:

>Way back on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:05:15 GMT, this dweeb called "~Brian~"

><bbra...@carolina.nospam> kirjoitti viestissä:
>
>>> [J] I try. It was a bit unfortunate that I finished the History for
>>> this weekend, when both you and Chucky also posted your stories. But
>>> ah, it can't be helped.
>>
>>Someone else is writing stories? Who would that be? *grin*
>
>[C] Nobody. I just retired.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

But then, i think you wanted that response.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 24, 2002, 12:54:05 PM10/24/02
Way back on Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:11:39 GMT, this dweeb called

>>>Someone else is writing stories? Who would that be? *grin*
>>
>>[C] Nobody. I just retired.
>
>noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

You're just telling me what I wanted to hear.

>But then, i think you wanted that response.

You old charmer.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 24, 2002, 12:54:07 PM10/24/02
Way back on Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:24:02 GMT, this dweeb called

m.me...@eudoramail.comNOSPAM (Marek Mercury) kirjoitti viestissä:

>Well, Elayne is doing stuff. Faile has no purpose except as a wife and

>character killer for Perrin. Name something Faile has done that
>couldn't have been carried out by an anvil.

That whole scene where she went off with Bain and Chiad, and made
Perrin and Loial tag along behind, even though they were the ones on
the quest (never mind that Perrin could have solved it by asking a
simple question, I still think he did well to just spank her and not
knock a few teeth loose), bringing great annoyance to everybody and
making Loial's ears droop unhappily at least seventeen times.

That would have been better with an anvil.

>My emotions on the new book are staying flat. If i have no
>expectations, then i won't get halfway through and think, 'shouldn't
>something have happened by now?'. At least, that's the theory.

Hah, nice theory. I like it.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 24, 2002, 12:54:06 PM10/24/02
Way back on Tue, 22 Oct 2002 19:32:49 GMT, this dweeb called He Who Is
Shannon <revsh...@IDONTLIKESPAM.earthlink.net> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> But this means you're not going to finish the Saga of UuuuUUUUUuuuUU,

>> doesn't it?
>
>I may, or may not, the U Saga is a complete bitch to write,

I noticed that you'd sort of gone, "Dragonlance plot? We don't need no
steenkeeng Dragonlance plot" somewhere there. Not that, uh, I can
comment.

>whereas
>NARJM is complete mental wanking.

Yeah. You can do it with one hand and it's kinda fun if nobody is
watching you.

*looks around suddenly silent room*

Don't you hate it when that happens?

Chucky & Janica

Oct 24, 2002, 12:54:28 PM10/24/02
Way back on Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:50:22 -0400, this dweeb called Uncle

>> >It means he has disfigured legs. Sort of bendy the wrong way, ala
>> >Misery.
>> >
>> >That's why everybody keeps noticing them.
>>
>> [J] This makes more sense than Chucky's explanation.

Hey.

>The lathe?

That's what turning is done on!

>Yeah - someone who worked at an orange factory would say that.

Hey!

Chucky & Janica

Oct 24, 2002, 12:54:31 PM10/24/02
Way back on Wed, 23 Oct 2002 04:18:28 GMT, this dweeb called "Cass"
<cassio...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> [J] Very probable. Although there were quite a few people who probably

>> would have voted for Elayne.
>
>*weighs* Faile, Elayne...Elayne, Faile....hmmm....tough choice. Anyone?

[J] I vote for Elayne. She's a selfish little teen. At least Faile
works for the good of her husband. And she doesn't bow and
scrape/sniff and tug around Rand, the way most other characters do.

>> >Ah, Robert E. Where are ya, man?
>>
>> [J] Yeah, I know. He came back once, stayed long enough to pull his
>> spork from the ceiling in the Inn, and then he disappeared again.
>
>With his spork? But that was stopping the Inn from falling!

[J] No wonder Debs disappeared.

>> >*giggle* don't spare the snark, Janica!
>>
>> [J] Oh, okay. Next time I'll stop being nice, then.
>
>Exactly. We love snarky Janica.

[J] Some time ago I was told by one of my students that I was treating
them "like that woman on the 'Weakest Link'". After that, I decided to
accept my nature.

>> [J] Hee hee hee, no need, Chucky already promised to come along, and
>> the bag-carrying is his job. We can concentrate our energies on Jordan
>> instead.
>
>*rubs hands together* excellent. I'm already preparing as i have a terrible
>feeling we might be needed.
>
>By the way, can Chucky carry my bags too then?

[C] I am considering changing my name to Sherpa Chucky.

>> [J] Yep, I've actually thought about that. "Crossroads of Twilight" is
>> scheduled for January 2003 over here, and I'm assuming that's fairly
>> close to the world-wide release date. In a month or two, I'm
>> predicting an upsurge in on-topic posts and returning posters, and
>> that might be the time to start this thread again. Close enough to the
>> release date so that nobody loses interest in between.
>
>Man, I have become so jaded I had no idea when the next book was coming out.
>But I'm coming up with some delightful hopes and wishes for it.

[J] I checked at the bookstore the other day. Mainly because I was
checking on when the next GRRM book was out, and remembered Jordan
while I was there.

Incidentally, Chucky posted his "The Pavin'" over in the other group,
and one poster is now admonishing him for using such derogatory terms
about an author who has presumably given us many an enjoyable moment,
and who selflessly spends his life writing only so we can be
entertained. We had a mutual chuckle at that.

>> [J] Oh, that's okay, nobody but Etherman ever bought that theory
>> anyway.
>
>Taim is Taim, dammit.

[J] And better than Logain, right?

*is in-fight savvy*

>> [J] It really is rather ugly. Like very bad water colour paintings.
>> But it's still worth it, I think, for the information it offers. I
>> actually saw it as a paperback copy a few eeks ago, costing about 8 US
>> dollars.
>
>There's a copy around the house somewhere...maybe if I cover up the
>pictures?

[J] You'd better do that. I think they put those pictures in ther so
that the cover art - which was given a small section in the middle of
the book - would not look quite so crappy.

>> [J] *grin* I know what you mean. But don't feel frightened - from now
>> on, I'll be jumping back and forth in time quite a lot, especially
>> when I talk about different theories and stuff. So there will be more
>> and more familiar names.
>
>Heh! Maybe even some quotes I remember! Can't wait!

[J] Soon.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 24, 2002, 12:54:32 PM10/24/02
Way back on Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:11:38 GMT, this dweeb called

m.me...@eudoramail.comNOSPAM (Marek Mercury) kirjoitti viestissä:

>>[J] I think I was having a bad day. And anyway, some chapters will be

>>more ... deserving of sarcasm, some less. I'm playing it by ear.
>
>Ah yes. A Jedi's weapon. Keep the drippings coming, it only adds to
>the atmosphere.

[J] Well, okay. I'm just worried over what will happen when I start
quoting people who are still around.

>>[J] There was actually very little response. The group was still
>>fairly quiet at the time. "New Spring" gave rise to much more
>>discussion.
>
>I see, or at least, i will see. I am looking forward to the Take-over
>episode. Having only heard about this in song and legend. A term used
>discussed in tones of awe.

[J] It was, truly, an interesting time to be alive. But before I can
get to that, I have to describe the group as it was before the
takeover. There'll probably be a few chapters on netiquette, posters
and suchlike.

He Who Is Shannon

Oct 24, 2002, 3:44:44 PM10/24/02
Chucky & Janica wrote:

> I noticed that you'd sort of gone, "Dragonlance plot? We don't need no
> steenkeeng Dragonlance plot" somewhere there. Not that, uh, I can
> comment.

My problem is I tend to read fantasy in clumps, so it all sort of blends
together. "U" has, in the tradition of the Rocky Alt.Fan Picture Show,
barreled off in its own direction.

> Yeah. You can do it with one hand and it's kinda fun if nobody is
> watching you.
>
> *looks around suddenly silent room*
>
> Don't you hate it when that happens?

*stays silent*

Marek Mercury

Oct 24, 2002, 11:49:00 PM10/24/02
janica....@pp.inet.fi (Chucky & Janica) scrawled:

>Way back on Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:24:02 GMT, this dweeb called

>m.me...@eudoramail.comNOSPAM (Marek Mercury) kirjoitti viestissä:
>
>>Well, Elayne is doing stuff. Faile has no purpose except as a wife and
>>character killer for Perrin. Name something Faile has done that
>>couldn't have been carried out by an anvil.
>
>That whole scene where she went off with Bain and Chiad, and made
>Perrin and Loial tag along behind, even though they were the ones on
>the quest (never mind that Perrin could have solved it by asking a
>simple question, I still think he did well to just spank her and not
>knock a few teeth loose), bringing great annoyance to everybody and
>making Loial's ears droop unhappily at least seventeen times.
>
>That would have been better with an anvil.

That was my thinking. And at least Perrin could use the anvil to beat
Berelain over the head.

Or bend her over it.
Hey, stop corrupting me!

>>My emotions on the new book are staying flat. If i have no
>>expectations, then i won't get halfway through and think, 'shouldn't
>>something have happened by now?'. At least, that's the theory.
>
>Hah, nice theory. I like it.

But as with many theories, it probably won't work in reality.

Marek Mercury

Oct 24, 2002, 11:49:01 PM10/24/02
janica....@pp.inet.fi (Chucky & Janica) scrawled:

>Way back on Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:11:38 GMT, this dweeb called

>m.me...@eudoramail.comNOSPAM (Marek Mercury) kirjoitti viestissä:
>
>>>[J] I think I was having a bad day. And anyway, some chapters will be
>>>more ... deserving of sarcasm, some less. I'm playing it by ear.
>>
>>Ah yes. A Jedi's weapon. Keep the drippings coming, it only adds to
>>the atmosphere.
>
>[J] Well, okay. I'm just worried over what will happen when I start
>quoting people who are still around.

The depends on the desired reaction. Although the Steal confirms you
can have fun, and not loose friends.

>>>[J] There was actually very little response. The group was still
>>>fairly quiet at the time. "New Spring" gave rise to much more
>>>discussion.
>>
>>I see, or at least, i will see. I am looking forward to the Take-over
>>episode. Having only heard about this in song and legend. A term used
>>discussed in tones of awe.
>
>[J] It was, truly, an interesting time to be alive. But before I can
>get to that, I have to describe the group as it was before the
>takeover. There'll probably be a few chapters on netiquette, posters
>and suchlike.

Ok. It'll just make the reading more worthwhile - the RJ philosophy.
I'll await with breath bated.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 25, 2002, 8:52:07 AM10/25/02
Way back on Fri, 25 Oct 2002 03:49:00 GMT, this dweeb called

m.me...@eudoramail.comNOSPAM (Marek Mercury) kirjoitti viestissä:

>>>Well, Elayne is doing stuff. Faile has no purpose except as a wife and
>>>character killer for Perrin. Name something Faile has done that
>>>couldn't have been carried out by an anvil.
>>
>>That whole scene where she went off with Bain and Chiad, and made
>>Perrin and Loial tag along behind, even though they were the ones on
>>the quest (never mind that Perrin could have solved it by asking a
>>simple question, I still think he did well to just spank her and not
>>knock a few teeth loose), bringing great annoyance to everybody and
>>making Loial's ears droop unhappily at least seventeen times.
>>
>>That would have been better with an anvil.
>
>That was my thinking. And at least Perrin could use the anvil to beat
>Berelain over the head.

*snicker*

I'm just seeing all of Faile's scenes with her as an anvil now. Perrin
has a big argument with this lump of metal, then storms off, Bain and
Chiad walk up and hoist the anvil up onto the back of a horse, Loial's
ears droop unhappily, they ride off into the Ways, Perrin and Gaul
follow along, Perrin finally loses his bottle and rushes up to the
anvil and gives it a good smacking...

And then there's the wonderfully slapstick Aiel Kidnap During the
Falconing scene. In fact, the anvil falconing is funny too.

*whud*

Good shot, anvil!

>Or bend her over it.
>Hey, stop corrupting me!

I didn't say anything.

>>>My emotions on the new book are staying flat. If i have no
>>>expectations, then i won't get halfway through and think, 'shouldn't
>>>something have happened by now?'. At least, that's the theory.
>>
>>Hah, nice theory. I like it.
>
>But as with many theories, it probably won't work in reality.

Reality is arbit-

Sorry. I'll leave you alone.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 25, 2002, 8:52:06 AM10/25/02
Way back on Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:44:44 GMT, this dweeb called He Who Is
Shannon <revsh...@IDONTLIKESPAM.earthlink.net> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> I noticed that you'd sort of gone, "Dragonlance plot? We don't need no

>> steenkeeng Dragonlance plot" somewhere there. Not that, uh, I can
>> comment.
>
>My problem is I tend to read fantasy in clumps, so it all sort of blends
>together. "U" has, in the tradition of the Rocky Alt.Fan Picture Show,
>barreled off in its own direction.

And a damn good thing too. The Chronicles series was silly. And you'd
have had to bring in a second Contro to play Fizban.

>> Yeah. You can do it with one hand and it's kinda fun if nobody is
>> watching you.
>>
>> *looks around suddenly silent room*
>>
>> Don't you hate it when that happens?
>
>*stays silent*

*drinks*

Chucky & Janica

Oct 25, 2002, 8:52:53 AM10/25/02
Way back on Fri, 25 Oct 2002 03:49:01 GMT, this dweeb called

m.me...@eudoramail.comNOSPAM (Marek Mercury) kirjoitti viestissä:

>>[J] Well, okay. I'm just worried over what will happen when I start

>>quoting people who are still around.
>
>The depends on the desired reaction. Although the Steal confirms you
>can have fun, and not loose friends.

[C] But you can annoy the people you want to. It's great. I want to
know why everybody doesn't do it.

>>[J] It was, truly, an interesting time to be alive. But before I can
>>get to that, I have to describe the group as it was before the
>>takeover. There'll probably be a few chapters on netiquette, posters
>>and suchlike.
>
>Ok. It'll just make the reading more worthwhile - the RJ philosophy.
>I'll await with breath bated.

[J] I'll try not to wait two years before the next part.

bruce

Oct 25, 2002, 1:08:01 PM10/25/02
repost

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 17:59:57 GMT Chucky & Janica <janica....@pp.inet.fi> wrote:
> Way back on Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:48:32 +1000, this dweeb called bruce
> <mor...@deadspam.com> kirjoitti viestiss?:
>
>>> By the time AFRJ was founded, fans all over the world were eagerly
>>> awaiting the publication of "A Crown of Swords", the seventh book in
>>> the Wheel of Time series.
>>
>>The group was created in '93, which is the year tFoH was published. I'm sure
>>you meant to say something like, "By the time AFRJ had regular traffic" :)
>
> [J] Oh, well yes. The group was created quite late in the year, so I'm
> presuming the book was already out. In fact, I'd guess the heightened
> traffic caused by the book was what triggered Thomas' creation of the
> group in the first place.

No argument with that.

At that time they would have been waiting for LoC, not aCoS. I was trying to
reconcile "By the time AFRJ was founded" with a book published in '96 (or
was it '97 even? I don't have it to check, and didn't read it until aPoD was
out).

>>Speaking of his other stuff, have you encountered much mention of it in your
>>study of the History? I keep meaning to read _The Conan Chronicles_ (the
>>library has it). Not so sure I want to read the Fallon trilogy though - it's
>>US civil war, and that just doesn't interest me, at all. Is there anything
>>else?
>
> [J] There hasn't been much mention. Some people have read the Conan
> books and found them tolerable, and there have been some positive
> comments about Fallon Blood. Other stuff? Hmmm...
>
> *rummages*
>
> Pseudonyms used by James Oliver Rigney:
>
> Robert Jordan -- "Wheel of Time" and "Conan" series.
>
> Reagan O'Neal -- "The Fallon Blood", "The Fallon Pride", and "The
> Fallon Legacy"

What's interesting is that these books say on the cover, "Robert Jordan
writing as Reagan O'Neal" (or something similar). A pseudonym writing under
a pseudonym.

> Jackson O'Reilly -- "Cheyenne Raiders"

This is the one I forgot. Haven't read it either. Anyone out there have a
review?

> Chang Lung -- contributions to various periodicals including Library
> Journal, Fantasy Review, and Science Fiction Rewiew.
>
> Chang Lung? Sheesh.

Didn't know of this name. You'd think that he'd do something under his own
name, wouldn't you?

>>> Most fans, though, have accepted the Guide as a useful source for
>>> background information, especially concerning the Forsaken and the
>>> various countries and their peculiarities. In fact, Radiant took the
>>
>>I'm pretty sure the other group consider it non-canonical.
>
> [J] Oh, they do. And I don't blame them as such - I'm just curious. As
> far as i've seen, the Guide doesn't contradict the actual books, only
> the comments supposedly made by Jordan. In fact, if anyone in this
> group ever goes to a signing, this would be a question to ask - how
> reliable is the information in the Guide, and if it's actually false,
> why was it published?

I don't think it is meant to be 100% reliable. It's an encyclopaedia,
written from the PoV of someone in Randland (from his academy?). Someone who
knows more than they should, perhaps, but I'd still expect it to have biases
and assumptions written in.
--
Joshua "bruce" Crawford Registered Linux user #173468
Replace "deadspam" with "hotpop" for email http://counter.li.org
---
Jesusfreak "Zebra bastard zebra zebra zebra zebra fucker"
Father of forty dogs
---
The software said it requires Windows 95 or better, so I installed Linux

Marek Mercury

Oct 26, 2002, 10:32:06 AM10/26/02
janica....@pp.inet.fi (Chucky & Janica) scrawled:

>Way back on Fri, 25 Oct 2002 03:49:00 GMT, this dweeb called

Very funny. I hadn't gone to that level in my thoughts. But you made
me laugh again. Tanks

>>Or bend her over it.
>>Hey, stop corrupting me!
>
>I didn't say anything.

Yeah, right. I'm on the internet here. I know about mind controlling.

>>>Hah, nice theory. I like it.
>>
>>But as with many theories, it probably won't work in reality.
>
>Reality is arbit-

A bit? Yes it is. But perhaps not quite the other.

>Sorry. I'll leave you alone.

For how long though?

Marek Mercury

Oct 26, 2002, 10:32:08 AM10/26/02
janica....@pp.inet.fi (Chucky & Janica) scrawled:

>Way back on Fri, 25 Oct 2002 03:49:01 GMT, this dweeb called

>m.me...@eudoramail.comNOSPAM (Marek Mercury) kirjoitti viestissä:
>
>>>[J] Well, okay. I'm just worried over what will happen when I start
>>>quoting people who are still around.
>>
>>The depends on the desired reaction. Although the Steal confirms you
>>can have fun, and not loose friends.
>
>[C] But you can annoy the people you want to. It's great. I want to
>know why everybody doesn't do it.

Just not as talented as you.

>>>[J] It was, truly, an interesting time to be alive. But before I can
>>>get to that, I have to describe the group as it was before the
>>>takeover. There'll probably be a few chapters on netiquette, posters
>>>and suchlike.
>>
>>Ok. It'll just make the reading more worthwhile - the RJ philosophy.
>>I'll await with breath bated.
>
>[J] I'll try not to wait two years before the next part.

Yeah, but with RJ we get 700 pages in a go. There's an idea. Why
doesn't he release a chapter say every two or three weeks? Of course,
they would probably still charge the same price for each one.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 26, 2002, 12:39:01 PM10/26/02
Way back on Sat, 26 Oct 2002 03:08:01 +1000, this dweeb called bruce
<mor...@deadspam.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> [J] Oh, well yes. The group was created quite late in the year, so I'm
>> presuming the book was already out. In fact, I'd guess the heightened
>> traffic caused by the book was what triggered Thomas' creation of the
>> group in the first place.
>
>No argument with that.
>
>At that time they would have been waiting for LoC, not aCoS. I was trying to
>reconcile "By the time AFRJ was founded" with a book published in '96 (or
>was it '97 even? I don't have it to check, and didn't read it until aPoD was
>out).

[J] '96, I think. Late '96. But be that as it may, aCoS is the first
book anyone on the group posted predictions for.

>> Pseudonyms used by James Oliver Rigney:
>>
>> Robert Jordan -- "Wheel of Time" and "Conan" series.
>>
>> Reagan O'Neal -- "The Fallon Blood", "The Fallon Pride", and "The
>> Fallon Legacy"
>
>What's interesting is that these books say on the cover, "Robert Jordan
>writing as Reagan O'Neal" (or something similar). A pseudonym writing under
>a pseudonym.

[J] Heh, yeah. I've never seen any of them at the bookstore here -
apparently they deal with the US Civil War. I think he published them
before the WoT, or in the early days of WoT, and then when the name
"Robert Jordan" became famous, they were re-printed with the new name
on the cover.

>> Jackson O'Reilly -- "Cheyenne Raiders"
>
>This is the one I forgot. Haven't read it either. Anyone out there have a
>review?

[J] I'm pretty sure nobody has ever posted about it on the group. It
must be one of his early works too.

>> Chang Lung -- contributions to various periodicals including Library
>> Journal, Fantasy Review, and Science Fiction Rewiew.
>>
>> Chang Lung? Sheesh.
>
>Didn't know of this name. You'd think that he'd do something under his own
>name, wouldn't you?

[J] Hee hee hee, that would make sense.

>> [J] Oh, they do. And I don't blame them as such - I'm just curious. As
>> far as i've seen, the Guide doesn't contradict the actual books, only
>> the comments supposedly made by Jordan. In fact, if anyone in this
>> group ever goes to a signing, this would be a question to ask - how
>> reliable is the information in the Guide, and if it's actually false,
>> why was it published?
>
>I don't think it is meant to be 100% reliable. It's an encyclopaedia,

[J] Um, not really. It's not set up as an encyclopaedia, but more like
a ... well, guide. A chapter on history, a chapter on the Forsaken, a
chapter on Shadowspawn, a chapter on Aes Sedai, a chapter on Hawkwing,
and so on.

>written from the PoV of someone in Randland (from his academy?). Someone who
>knows more than they should, perhaps, but I'd still expect it to have biases
>and assumptions written in.

[J] If it was meant to read like that, they did a piss-poor job of it.
Nobody in Chaggabaggawoggaland could have written that book, since it
has, for example, detailed information about the Age of Legends,
Seanchan and Birgitte. There are some parts of it that are
"eye-witness accounts" from "ancient manuscripts", but apart from a
very few of those (eg. "Strike at Shayol Ghul"), the book is not
written from anyone's point of view.

Nothing like using the word "Chaggabaggawoggaland" to make you sound
serious, eh?

Infinity

Oct 26, 2002, 11:58:38 PM10/26/02
> >> Pseudonyms used by James Oliver Rigney:
> >>
> >> Robert Jordan -- "Wheel of Time" and "Conan" series.

You're saying that Robert Jordan is a pseudonym? Like, /really/?
*disbelieves*

> Nothing like using the word "Chaggabaggawoggaland" to make you sound
> serious, eh?

What happened to "Randland"? Or am I missing something?

Infinity.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 27, 2002, 6:56:58 AM10/27/02
Way back on Sat, 26 Oct 2002 14:32:06 GMT, this dweeb called

m.me...@eudoramail.comNOSPAM (Marek Mercury) kirjoitti viestissä:

>>And then there's the wonderfully slapstick Aiel Kidnap During the

>>Falconing scene. In fact, the anvil falconing is funny too.
>>
>>*whud*
>>
>>Good shot, anvil!
>
>Very funny. I hadn't gone to that level in my thoughts. But you made
>me laugh again. Tanks

If something is funny on one level, join me in the basement.

>>I didn't say anything.
>
>Yeah, right. I'm on the internet here. I know about mind controlling.

You're not wearing your foil hat? Fool!

Um, "fool" as in the affectionate, non-insulting, friendly version of
fool, so you don't cry.

>>Sorry. I'll leave you alone.
>
>For how long though?

*clenches*

As long as I can!

Chucky & Janica

Oct 27, 2002, 6:56:59 AM10/27/02
Way back on Sun, 27 Oct 2002 03:58:38 +0000 (UTC), this dweeb called
"Infinity" <lewsth...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>You're saying that Robert Jordan is a pseudonym? Like, /really/?
>*disbelieves*

[C] His name is James Oliver Rigney. And we don't care if you
disbelieve.

>> Nothing like using the word "Chaggabaggawoggaland" to make you sound
>> serious, eh?
>
>What happened to "Randland"? Or am I missing something?

[C] Why am I listening to your objections to the Steal, when you
haven't fucking read it?

Chucky & Janica

Oct 27, 2002, 6:57:30 AM10/27/02
Way back on Sat, 26 Oct 2002 14:32:08 GMT, this dweeb called

m.me...@eudoramail.comNOSPAM (Marek Mercury) kirjoitti viestissä:

>>>The depends on the desired reaction. Although the Steal confirms you

>>>can have fun, and not loose friends.
>>
>>[C] But you can annoy the people you want to. It's great. I want to
>>know why everybody doesn't do it.
>
>Just not as talented as you.

Well, of course. But they could still try. I'd be a good sport about
it.

>Yeah, but with RJ we get 700 pages in a go. There's an idea. Why
>doesn't he release a chapter say every two or three weeks? Of course,
>they would probably still charge the same price for each one.

He'd still wait a year between each chapter, too.

Infinity

Oct 27, 2002, 11:59:03 AM10/27/02
> [C] His name is James Oliver Rigney. And we don't care if you
> disbelieve.

Woah.

> >> Nothing like using the word "Chaggabaggawoggaland" to make you sound
> >> serious, eh?
> >
> >What happened to "Randland"? Or am I missing something?
>
> [C] Why am I listening to your objections to the Steal, when you
> haven't fucking read it?

I /have/ fucking read it - although most of it /was/ a number of months
back. And I've heard both terms used to describe the world, in the Steal and
out here in the newsgroup. Hence, I'm asking if there's a subtle difference
between the terms. Cretin.

Didn't Debs refer to "Randland" when she materialised in Seanchan at the
beginning? I could'a sworn she did.

Infinity.

Aaron F. Bourque

Oct 27, 2002, 12:03:29 PM10/27/02
From: janica....@pp.inet.fi (Chucky & Janica)

>Way back on Sun, 27 Oct 2002 03:58:38 +0000 (UTC), this
>dweeb called "Infinity" <lewsth...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti
>viestissä:

>>You're saying that Robert Jordan is a pseudonym? Like,
>>/really/?
>>*disbelieves*
>
>[C] His name is James Oliver Rigney.

Actually, his name is James Oliver Rigney, junior.

Nyaah.

And you're arrogant.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque
--
Women supposedly mature at a faster rate than men
If that is true, how come they live so much longer then . . ?

Aaron F. Bourque

Oct 27, 2002, 12:09:12 PM10/27/02
From: "Infinity" lewsth...@hotmail.com

>Didn't Debs refer to "Randland" when she materialised in
>Seanchan at the beginning? I could'a sworn she did.

"Chaggabaggawoggaland" is the name the Seanchan use to refer
to what we, the fans, call Randland.

I think it's spread to what the Randlandians call Randland, too, but it's been
a while . . .

Infinity

Oct 27, 2002, 12:43:44 PM10/27/02
> >Didn't Debs refer to "Randland" when she materialised in
> >Seanchan at the beginning? I could'a sworn she did.
>
> "Chaggabaggawoggaland" is the name the Seanchan use to refer
> to what we, the fans, call Randland.

Ah, makes sense now. Thanks.

Infinity

Oct 27, 2002, 12:44:14 PM10/27/02
> >[C] His name is James Oliver Rigney.
>
> Actually, his name is James Oliver Rigney, junior.

How do we know this, anyway?

> And you're arrogant.

Damn right ;)

Infinity

Oct 27, 2002, 3:01:52 PM10/27/02
> >> Actually, his name is James Oliver Rigney, junior.
> >
> > How do we know this, anyway?
>
> He said so at a book-signing :)

Yes, but considering the amount of utter bullshit he's alleged to have said
at book-signings...

bruce

Oct 27, 2002, 12:39:41 PM10/27/02
more reposts.

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 16:39:01 GMT Chucky & Janica <janica....@pp.inet.fi> wrote:
> Way back on Sat, 26 Oct 2002 03:08:01 +1000, this dweeb called bruce

> <mor...@deadspam.com> kirjoitti viestiss?:

>>At that time they would have been waiting for LoC, not aCoS. I was trying to
>>reconcile "By the time AFRJ was founded" with a book published in '96 (or
>>was it '97 even? I don't have it to check, and didn't read it until aPoD was
>>out).
>
> [J] '96, I think. Late '96. But be that as it may, aCoS is the first
> book anyone on the group posted predictions for.

Just remembered I've got a bibliography in with my e-books (it's his page
from ifsdb <http://www.sfsite.com/ifsdb>). LoC was '94, so I guess there
wasn't enough people here to worry about it. Also, aCoS was the first 2 year
wait.

>>> Reagan O'Neal -- "The Fallon Blood", "The Fallon Pride", and "The
>>> Fallon Legacy"
>>
>>What's interesting is that these books say on the cover, "Robert Jordan
>>writing as Reagan O'Neal" (or something similar). A pseudonym writing under
>>a pseudonym.
>
> [J] Heh, yeah. I've never seen any of them at the bookstore here -
> apparently they deal with the US Civil War. I think he published them
> before the WoT, or in the early days of WoT, and then when the name
> "Robert Jordan" became famous, they were re-printed with the new name
> on the cover.

According to ifsdb, _Fallon Blood_ was published in '95, _Fallon Pride_ in
'96, and it doesn't say about _Fallon Legacy_.

>>> Jackson O'Reilly -- "Cheyenne Raiders"
>>
>>This is the one I forgot. Haven't read it either. Anyone out there have a
>>review?
>
> [J] I'm pretty sure nobody has ever posted about it on the group. It
> must be one of his early works too.

Published in 1982. Around the same time he started the Conan books.

>>> [J] Oh, they do. And I don't blame them as such - I'm just curious. As
>>> far as i've seen, the Guide doesn't contradict the actual books, only
>>> the comments supposedly made by Jordan. In fact, if anyone in this
>>> group ever goes to a signing, this would be a question to ask - how
>>> reliable is the information in the Guide, and if it's actually false,
>>> why was it published?
>>
>>I don't think it is meant to be 100% reliable. It's an encyclopaedia,
>
> [J] Um, not really. It's not set up as an encyclopaedia, but more like
> a ... well, guide. A chapter on history, a chapter on the Forsaken, a
> chapter on Shadowspawn, a chapter on Aes Sedai, a chapter on Hawkwing,
> and so on.

Encyclopaedias aren't always organised alphabetically. For example, my copy
of _The Australian Junior Encyclopaedia_ (published 1951, and better than
anything I saw while in school) has its information grouped by topic. It
starts with an overview of Australia, then moves onto (section titles)
Astronomy and Geology, The Aborigines, Geography, Cities and Government,
History, and The Defence of Australia. And that's just volume 1 of 3.

I'd like to think that the Australian Educational Foundation of the '50s
knew what constitutes an encyclopaedia.

>>written from the PoV of someone in Randland (from his academy?). Someone who
>>knows more than they should, perhaps, but I'd still expect it to have biases
>>and assumptions written in.
>
> [J] If it was meant to read like that, they did a piss-poor job of it.
> Nobody in Chaggabaggawoggaland could have written that book, since it
> has, for example, detailed information about the Age of Legends,
> Seanchan and Birgitte. There are some parts of it that are
> "eye-witness accounts" from "ancient manuscripts", but apart from a
> very few of those (eg. "Strike at Shayol Ghul"), the book is not
> written from anyone's point of view.

Yeah, I worded what I said badly. What I meant was that it was written as
though it'd been compiled by Chaggabaggawoggians who knew a lot more than
they should (not "someone", but "some people").

I haven't read it for a couple of years, but that's the impression that's
stuck with me - a piss-poor effort at writing a Chaggabaggawoggian
encyclopaedia. If that's not what it is, then it must be a piss-poor effort
at writing a guide, considering how much isn't explained in there.

> Nothing like using the word "Chaggabaggawoggaland" to make you sound
> serious, eh?

It sounds better than "Randland". I should use it more often.

--
Joshua "bruce" Crawford Registered Linux user #173468
Replace "deadspam" with "hotpop" for email http://counter.li.org
---
Jesusfreak "Zebra bastard zebra zebra zebra zebra fucker"
Father of forty dogs
---

It's a JOKE, like the funny kind but different.

Uncle Traveling Matt

Oct 27, 2002, 1:39:31 PM10/27/02
"Aaron F. Bourque" wrote:

> From: janica....@pp.inet.fi (Chucky & Janica)
>
> >Way back on Sun, 27 Oct 2002 03:58:38 +0000 (UTC), this
> >dweeb called "Infinity" <lewsth...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti
> >viestissä:

> >>You're saying that Robert Jordan is a pseudonym? Like,
> >>/really/?
> >>*disbelieves*
> >
> >[C] His name is James Oliver Rigney.
>
> Actually, his name is James Oliver Rigney, junior.
>
> Nyaah.
>
> And you're arrogant.

And you are accusatory!

Matt

--

Damocles took my seat

bruce

Oct 27, 2002, 2:37:26 PM10/27/02

He said so at a book-signing :)

--
Joshua "bruce" Crawford Registered Linux user #173468
Replace "deadspam" with "hotpop" for email http://counter.li.org
---
Jesusfreak "Zebra bastard zebra zebra zebra zebra fucker"
Father of forty dogs
---

Compiling...Linking...Dialing Copyright Lawyer...

Aaron F. Bourque

Oct 27, 2002, 6:50:03 PM10/27/02
>From: "Infinity" lewsth...@hotmail.com

>> >[C] His name is James Oliver Rigney.
>>
>> Actually, his name is James Oliver Rigney, junior.
>
>How do we know this, anyway?

He dedicated one of the early books, The Great Hunt or The
Dragon Reborn, I'm pretty sure, to James Oliver Rigney, senior.

Infinity

Oct 27, 2002, 6:56:09 PM10/27/02
> >> Actually, his name is James Oliver Rigney, junior.
> >
> >How do we know this, anyway?
>
> He dedicated one of the early books, The Great Hunt or The
> Dragon Reborn, I'm pretty sure, to James Oliver Rigney, senior.

Doesn't mean 's 'is father. 'e could be anybody.

Infinity.

Aaron F. Bourque

Oct 27, 2002, 7:04:20 PM10/27/02
Swords", "A Path of Daggers" and "The World of Robert Jordan's Wheel

. . .

You're right, I was lying the whole time. His real name was
Johannah Bobberybrook Mckilney O'Dimpfingerus IV. You can
see why he would want to keep that secret, though.

. . .

Chucky & Janica

Oct 28, 2002, 1:06:35 PM10/28/02
Way back on Sun, 27 Oct 2002 16:59:03 +0000 (UTC), this dweeb called

>> >What happened to "Randland"? Or am I missing something?
>>
>> [C] Why am I listening to your objections to the Steal, when you
>> haven't fucking read it?
>
>I /have/ fucking read it - although most of it /was/ a number of months
>back. And I've heard both terms used to describe the world, in the Steal and
>out here in the newsgroup. Hence, I'm asking if there's a subtle difference
>between the terms.

It's not used to describe the world. It's used to describe the
continent that isn't Seanchan. And the part, specifically, of the
continent that isn't the Aiel Waste, the Blight, or Shara. But yeah,
the continent in general. If you want to be picky. And I know you do,
because you're doing that thing you always do when you want to be
picky.

Breathing.

>Didn't Debs refer to "Randland" when she materialised in Seanchan at the
>beginning? I could'a sworn she did.

Yes. Do you want to exercise your alleged brain and try to figure out
why that would be? Or would you rather call *me* a cretin?

Chucky & Janica

Oct 28, 2002, 1:07:12 PM10/28/02
Way back on Sun, 27 Oct 2002 20:01:52 +0000 (UTC), this dweeb called

I'm glad you're saving your sarcasm for a worthy cause. But do you
think you could dust off your sense of humour?

Chucky & Janica

Oct 28, 2002, 1:07:10 PM10/28/02
Way back on 27 Oct 2002 17:03:29 GMT, this dweeb called
aaronb...@aol.commandment (Aaron F. Bourque) kirjoitti viestissä:

>>[C] His name is James Oliver Rigney.
>
>Actually, his name is James Oliver Rigney, junior.
>
>Nyaah.
>
>And you're arrogant.

Yeah, but you're paranoid.

Infinity

Oct 28, 2002, 3:09:12 PM10/28/02
> I'm glad you're saving your sarcasm for a worthy cause. But do you
> think you could dust off your sense of humour?

Why bother? It'll only gather dust again waiting for you to say something
witty.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 28, 2002, 1:07:11 PM10/28/02
Way back on 27 Oct 2002 17:09:12 GMT, this dweeb called

aaronb...@aol.commandment (Aaron F. Bourque) kirjoitti viestissä:

>>Didn't Debs refer to "Randland" when she materialised in

>>Seanchan at the beginning? I could'a sworn she did.
>
>"Chaggabaggawoggaland" is the name the Seanchan use to refer
>to what we, the fans, call Randland.
>
>I think it's spread to what the Randlandians call Randland, too, but it's been
>a while . . .

Not as far as I know. But maybe a couple of the afrjers use it.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 28, 2002, 1:07:13 PM10/28/02
Way back on 28 Oct 2002 00:04:20 GMT, this dweeb called

aaronb...@aol.commandment (Aaron F. Bourque) kirjoitti viestissä:

>>> He dedicated one of the early books, The Great Hunt or The

>>> Dragon Reborn, I'm pretty sure, to James Oliver Rigney,
>>> senior.
>>
>>Doesn't mean 's 'is father. 'e could be anybody.
>
>. . .
>
>You're right, I was lying the whole time. His real name was
>Johannah Bobberybrook Mckilney O'Dimpfingerus IV. You can
>see why he would want to keep that secret, though.

I admire your patience. I really, really do.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 28, 2002, 1:07:15 PM10/28/02
Way back on Mon, 28 Oct 2002 04:39:41 +1100, this dweeb called bruce
<mor...@deadspam.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>more reposts.

[C] Yay! And Christmas isn't for another couple of months.

>> [J] '96, I think. Late '96. But be that as it may, aCoS is the first
>> book anyone on the group posted predictions for.
>
>Just remembered I've got a bibliography in with my e-books (it's his page
>from ifsdb <http://www.sfsite.com/ifsdb>). LoC was '94, so I guess there
>wasn't enough people here to worry about it. Also, aCoS was the first 2 year
>wait.

[J] And I've got a few funny quotes that relate to that...

>> [J] Heh, yeah. I've never seen any of them at the bookstore here -
>> apparently they deal with the US Civil War. I think he published them
>> before the WoT, or in the early days of WoT, and then when the name
>> "Robert Jordan" became famous, they were re-printed with the new name
>> on the cover.
>
>According to ifsdb, _Fallon Blood_ was published in '95, _Fallon Pride_ in
>'96, and it doesn't say about _Fallon Legacy_.

[J] Odd, I was under the impression they were older.

>> [J] Um, not really. It's not set up as an encyclopaedia, but more like
>> a ... well, guide. A chapter on history, a chapter on the Forsaken, a
>> chapter on Shadowspawn, a chapter on Aes Sedai, a chapter on Hawkwing,
>> and so on.
>
>Encyclopaedias aren't always organised alphabetically. For example, my copy
>of _The Australian Junior Encyclopaedia_ (published 1951, and better than
>anything I saw while in school) has its information grouped by topic. It
>starts with an overview of Australia, then moves onto (section titles)
>Astronomy and Geology, The Aborigines, Geography, Cities and Government,
>History, and The Defence of Australia. And that's just volume 1 of 3.
>
>I'd like to think that the Australian Educational Foundation of the '50s
>knew what constitutes an encyclopaedia.

[J] There's a funny line that I could make here, but I won't - I'll
just say, okay, you can have this round.

>> [J] If it was meant to read like that, they did a piss-poor job of it.
>> Nobody in Chaggabaggawoggaland could have written that book, since it
>> has, for example, detailed information about the Age of Legends,
>> Seanchan and Birgitte. There are some parts of it that are
>> "eye-witness accounts" from "ancient manuscripts", but apart from a
>> very few of those (eg. "Strike at Shayol Ghul"), the book is not
>> written from anyone's point of view.
>
>Yeah, I worded what I said badly. What I meant was that it was written as
>though it'd been compiled by Chaggabaggawoggians who knew a lot more than
>they should (not "someone", but "some people").

[J] I didn't really get that impression. Apart from the 'historical
quotes', there doesn't seem to be a voice that tells the tale.

>I haven't read it for a couple of years, but that's the impression that's
>stuck with me - a piss-poor effort at writing a Chaggabaggawoggian
>encyclopaedia. If that's not what it is, then it must be a piss-poor effort
>at writing a guide, considering how much isn't explained in there.

[J] Well, writing a Guide for a half-finished series isn't much of an
idea in the first place. But I still hold to my guns. There is no
'author' within the Guide. There is no political, historical or racial
bias displayed by the text. As such, I will assume that the Guide
really is a Guide, and I will continue to consider it as such until
Jordan explains to me why it was (supposedly) published with false
information.

>> Nothing like using the word "Chaggabaggawoggaland" to make you sound
>> serious, eh?
>
>It sounds better than "Randland". I should use it more often.

[C] Try not to use it too often. It makes the echoing, vaulted
emptiness inside Infinicky's head hurt.

*grin*

Infinity

Oct 28, 2002, 3:06:47 PM10/28/02
> If you want to be picky. And I know you do,
> because you're doing that thing you always do when you want to be
> picky.
>
> Breathing.

*giggles*

> >Didn't Debs refer to "Randland" when she materialised in Seanchan at the
> >beginning? I could'a sworn she did.
>
> Yes. Do you want to exercise your alleged brain and try to figure out
> why that would be?

*sigh*
It wasn't /obvious/, okay? Excuse me for being slightly less quick on the
update than the person who /wrote/ the thing in the first place.

> Or would you rather call *me* a cretin?

No, I think I'll leave that observation for someone else this time ;)

Infinity

Oct 28, 2002, 3:14:07 PM10/28/02
> >> Nothing like using the word "Chaggabaggawoggaland" to make you sound
> >> serious, eh?
> >
> >It sounds better than "Randland". I should use it more often.
>
> [C] Try not to use it too often. It makes the echoing, vaulted
> emptiness inside Infinicky's head hurt.

lol
You do rub things in, don't you?

With sandpaper.

Infinity

Oct 28, 2002, 3:12:07 PM10/28/02

> >>Doesn't mean 's 'is father. 'e could be anybody.
> >
> >. . .
> >
> >You're right, I was lying the whole time. His real name was
> >Johannah Bobberybrook Mckilney O'Dimpfingerus IV. You can
> >see why he would want to keep that secret, though.
>
> I admire your patience. I really, really do.

It could be an uncle. Or a mentor of some description. Unless you have
additional evidence, it's not conclusive. And Chucky, I /do/ have a valid
point, damn you for the festering spawn of an unholy union twixt a lizard
and a mountain goat. No offence.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 29, 2002, 12:42:38 PM10/29/02
Way back on Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:12:07 +0000 (UTC), this dweeb called
"Infinity" <lewsth...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> >You're right, I was lying the whole time. His real name was

>> >Johannah Bobberybrook Mckilney O'Dimpfingerus IV. You can
>> >see why he would want to keep that secret, though.
>>
>> I admire your patience. I really, really do.
>
>It could be an uncle.

It's not.

>Or a mentor of some description.

It isn't.

>Unless you have additional evidence, it's not conclusive.

We do.

[J] The easiest solution, of course, is to go to www.google.com, type
"James Oliver Rigney" in the search box, and see what you get. Here's
a sample:

http://students.db.erau.edu/~sachss/Bios/jordan.html

>And Chucky, I /do/ have a valid
>point, damn you for the festering spawn of an unholy union twixt a lizard
>and a mountain goat. No offence.

You don't.

Aaron F. Bourque

Oct 29, 2002, 1:17:11 PM10/29/02
From: janica....@pp.inet.fi (Chucky & Janica)

>[J] The easiest solution, of course, is to go to www.google.com, type

>"James Oliver Rigney" in the search box, and see what you get. Here's
>a sample:
>
>http://students.db.erau.edu/~sachss/Bios/jordan.html

"Rigney's other writings under the Jordan pseudonym include the 'Wheel of Time'
fantasy series about the struggle between good and evil in a long-ago land of
brutality and sorcery."

Oh man. I wish.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; "brutality and sorcery"--that's better than
the
whole series!

Infinity

Oct 29, 2002, 1:45:14 PM10/29/02
> >You do rub things in, don't you?
> >
> >With sandpaper.
>
> *grin*
>
> You're getting it.

Yes.

Every time I post something, seems like.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 29, 2002, 12:35:21 PM10/29/02
Way back on Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:06:47 +0000 (UTC), this dweeb called
"Infinity" <lewsth...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> Yes. Do you want to exercise your alleged brain and try to figure out

>> why that would be?
>
>*sigh*
>It wasn't /obvious/, okay?

Much as I would like to write an obvious version of the story for you,
I just don't have time. I tried to make it as simple and
funny-rather-than-involved as I could. The whole Chaggabaggawoggaland
thing is pretty darn simple.

>Excuse me for being slightly less quick on the
>update than the person who /wrote/ the thing in the first place.

Nobody else seems to have a problem with it. Case in point, Janica and
bruce talking about it just now. Neither of them wrote the story
either. Janica would have canned it in post-production if she thought
it was stupid or difficult. She's done it a few times. Which is why
she always gets the special credit.

>> Or would you rather call *me* a cretin?
>
>No, I think I'll leave that observation for someone else this time ;)

I'll be waiting. I hope to smirk and smarm and smug at them too.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 29, 2002, 12:35:23 PM10/29/02
Way back on Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:14:07 +0000 (UTC), this dweeb called
"Infinity" <lewsth...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> [C] Try not to use it too often. It makes the echoing, vaulted

>> emptiness inside Infinicky's head hurt.
>

>You do rub things in, don't you?
>
>With sandpaper.

*grin*

You're getting it.

C&J

Infinity

Oct 29, 2002, 1:44:22 PM10/29/02
> >Unless you have additional evidence, it's not conclusive.
>
> We do.

Good.

> [J] The easiest solution, of course, is to go to www.google.com, type
> "James Oliver Rigney" in the search box, and see what you get. Here's
> a sample:
>
> http://students.db.erau.edu/~sachss/Bios/jordan.html

Thank you.

> >And Chucky, I /do/ have a valid
> >point, damn you for the festering spawn of an unholy union twixt a lizard
> >and a mountain goat. No offence.
>
> You don't.

I /did/ have a point. It might have been incorrect - well, it /was/
incorrect - but it was still valid for the information I possessed.

He Who Is Shannon

Oct 29, 2002, 11:42:29 PM10/29/02
Infinity wrote:

> I /did/ have a point. It might have been incorrect - well, it /was/
> incorrect - but it was still valid for the information I possessed.

*Translates again*

"I was a fuckwit. Rather than possibly conceding someone might possibly
be right, I stuck to my fuckwit guns, thus making myself look like even
more of a fuckwit."

Shannon

--
"Combat, in its simplest form,involves shooting, blowing up, or
otherwise wreaking havoc on your enemies."-- The fabulous Ghost Recon manual

"And that's the Majesty of Rock!
The Mystery of Roll!
The darning of the sock!
The scoring of the goal!
The farmer takes a wife!
The barber takes a pole!
We're in this together...and ever..." -- Spinal Tap, "The Majesty of Rock"

"Drink and Drink and Drink and Drink and Drink and Drink and Fight!" --
Buck O Nine, "Irish Drinking Song"

~Brian~

Oct 30, 2002, 4:58:50 PM10/30/02
From: "Aaron F. Bourque"

> >Doesn't mean 's 'is father. 'e could be anybody.
>
> . . .
>
> You're right, I was lying the whole time. His real name was
> Johannah Bobberybrook Mckilney O'Dimpfingerus IV. You can
> see why he would want to keep that secret, though.

I thought James Oliver Rigney was RJ porn name? They called him the "Big
O".

You might have seen him in such films as 'Dos Chicos', staring along side
Terry "Give It To Me" Goodkind.

~B

--
http://www.geocities.com/perrin24/jordan_goodkind.jpg

Infinity

Oct 31, 2002, 12:19:28 AM10/31/02
> "I was a fuckwit. Rather than possibly conceding someone might possibly
> be right, I stuck to my fuckwit guns, thus making myself look like even
> more of a fuckwit."

<translates>
"I'm being an objectionable, insulting little git"
</translates>

I always accept that someone else might possibly be right. 's what a debate
/is/. 's where you /think/ you're right, but concede that you might not be,
and attempt to work it out by logical discussion.

Lurn.

Infinity.

Aaron F. Bourque

Oct 31, 2002, 12:33:01 AM10/31/02
From: "Infinity" lewsth...@hotmail.com

>I always accept that someone else might possibly be right. 's
>what a debate /is/. 's where you /think/ you're right, but concede
>that you might not be, and attempt to work it out by logical
>discussion.

That's the pussiest style of debate I've ever heard--oh. REAL
debate. Not Usenet debate.

But, Infinicky, if this is really what you were like, then you would
have SHUT THE GOD-DAMN FUCKING SHIT-FUCK UP BY
FUCKING-SHIT NOW!

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; instead, you must have the
last word.

Infinity

Oct 31, 2002, 1:53:23 AM10/31/02
> But, Infinicky, if this is really what you were like, then you would
> have SHUT THE GOD-DAMN FUCKING SHIT-FUCK UP BY
> FUCKING-SHIT NOW!

I beg your fucking pardon?

Infinicky.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 31, 2002, 1:33:06 PM10/31/02
Way back on Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:23:42 -0000, this dweeb called
A11otrios <o...@orgasmatron.de***mon.co.uk> kirjoitti viestissä:

>Oh come on you two!
>
>I am sure you can flame better than that.

I can't flame at all.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 31, 2002, 1:33:07 PM10/31/02
Way back on 29 Oct 2002 18:17:11 GMT, this dweeb called

aaronb...@aol.commandment (Aaron F. Bourque) kirjoitti viestissä:

>>http://students.db.erau.edu/~sachss/Bios/jordan.html

>"Rigney's other writings under the Jordan pseudonym include the 'Wheel of Time'
>fantasy series about the struggle between good and evil in a long-ago land of
>brutality and sorcery."
>
>Oh man. I wish.
>
>Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque; "brutality and sorcery"--that's better than
>the whole series!

Bahahahaha!!

I also like how it's a long-ago land with fossilized Mercedes-Benz
hood ornaments.

Oh right. Time is a Wheel. But we're supposed to be kept in suspense
as to whether or not the Dark One will bring all that to an end.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 31, 2002, 1:33:08 PM10/31/02
Way back on Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:44:22 +0000 (UTC), this dweeb called
"Infinity" <lewsth...@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> >And Chucky, I /do/ have a valid

>> >point, damn you for the festering spawn of an unholy union twixt a lizard
>> >and a mountain goat. No offence.
>>
>> You don't.
>
>I /did/ have a point. It might have been incorrect - well, it /was/
>incorrect - but it was still valid for the information I possessed.

But it wasn't valid in the larger reality outside the tomato-sized
growth between your shoulders which seems to exist purely to give your
torso some sense of closure.

Chucky & Janica

Oct 31, 2002, 1:33:09 PM10/31/02
Way back on Wed, 30 Oct 2002 04:42:29 GMT, this dweeb called He Who Is
Shannon <revsh...@IDONTLIKESPAM.earthlink.net> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> I /did/ have a point. It might have been incorrect - well, it /was/
>> incorrect - but it was still valid for the information I possessed.
>
>*Translates again*
>
>"I was a fuckwit. Rather than possibly conceding someone might possibly
>be right, I stuck to my fuckwit guns, thus making myself look like even
>more of a fuckwit."

Have you ever considered working for the UN?

Ouriana Sedai et al

Oct 31, 2002, 3:38:30 PM10/31/02

Thus spake C&J:

>But it wasn't valid in the larger reality outside the tomato-sized
>growth between your shoulders which seems to exist purely to give your
>torso some sense of closure.

*pays in newly minted Andoran weight Sarcasm*

Julie
--
Fallen Angel
CMM Collective 9 of 6
A slut will sleep with everyone.
A bitch will sleep with everyone but you.

Infinity

Oct 31, 2002, 6:45:37 PM10/31/02
> It is Aaron.

Yes? It was kinda obvious. So what?

Infinity

Oct 31, 2002, 6:46:13 PM10/31/02
> > I always accept that someone else might possibly be right.
>
> No you don't.

Yes I do. Even if it doesn't come across that way.

I hate it when people try to claim that they know more about me than I do.
Hint: STOP IT.

Infinity

Oct 31, 2002, 6:48:52 PM10/31/02
> But it wasn't valid in the larger reality outside the tomato-sized
> growth between your shoulders which seems to exist purely to give your
> torso some sense of closure.

I'm afraid I have to allow this blatant insult on grounds of wit.

Uncle Traveling Matt

Oct 31, 2002, 8:12:11 PM10/31/02

*winds up Infinicky for another round*

M@

--

Damocles took my seat

Infinity

Oct 31, 2002, 8:18:52 PM10/31/02
> > I hate it when people try to claim that they know more about me than I
do.
> > Hint: STOP IT.
>

> *winds up Infinicky for another round*

*giggles*

He Who Is Shannon

Oct 31, 2002, 8:37:39 PM10/31/02
Chucky & Janica wrote:

>> *Translates again*
>>
>> "I was a fuckwit. Rather than possibly conceding someone might
>> possibly be right, I stuck to my fuckwit guns, thus making myself
>> look like even more of a fuckwit."
>

> Have you ever considered working for the UN?

Too plainspoken. As Infinity has shown, my relentless rendering of
bullshit into English tends to get panties wadded.

It is loading more messages.