[F] DWCon 2006 Report

Kimberley Verburg

Aug 28, 2006, 6:24:30 PM8/28/06
It is late, but the people I've been nagging for photos won't let me get
away with not posting a report. Fair's fair, I suppose. :-)

It was, yet again, an excellent con. The attendees were generally funny,
helpful and creative.

THURSDAY

Just before noon, shared a taxi to the hotel with Eve of the Dark Clerks
and Yvonne. Taxi driver asks if we're going "to that Disco thing."

Made myself useful. After finishing the exciting task of helping Liz and
Keith put guild reminder stickers on the attendees' envelopes, I went
down to the Hub to help with Registration. I found myself sitting next
to Karen/hypatia's #2 who made short jokes at me (she's been taller than
me since she was 11 but still hasn't run out of jokes). I met people
from the middle of the alphabet and I heard someone laughing over my
Stephen Briggs bio which was a relief.

The afternoon's downpour exposed the inadequacies of the car park
drainage system. "The car with licence plate XX-11-YY might want to
think about moving their car. The chance of engine flooding is rather
high." -- Dónal addresses everybody in the hotel (i.e. the queue for the
buffet)

After dinner it was time for personal humiliation at the hands of Jenny
Delaney and her evil pub quiz. Did any of the cloggies get the special
Dutch question right?

FRIDAY

Though it was early in the day, the hall costumes were great. My
favourite was a young Auditor who stood silent and unmoving next to me
for some minutes. This was sufficiently disturbing that I gave him a
hall costume token in the hope he would go away. (On the subject of
disturbing, try Ops dancing to Dragostea Din Tei early in the morning.)

In the Hub, there was a large pile of foreign editions which Colin
Smythe had donated. Attendees got one book in their goody bags and were
allowed to take another one from the table. This turned into a nice
social activity as people swapped books and tried to identify the
various languages.

I thought that I would spend most of my time having a nice sit down in
Registration but there were more than enough gophers to help so I mostly
wound up answering questions and stuff. So far, I've seen one photo of
me and I'm a blur, which about sums up the con for me.

At the end of the afternoon, it was time for my Lovely Assistant Leo and
me to run Werewolf. Werewolf is an icebreaker game which employs the
friendly method of murder. Nirvana did the best death ever -- I've never
seen a corpse do the splits before. The kids' Werewolf which we ran
right after was even more fun, if possible. Unlike the adults, they
didn't need any encouragement to lynch their fellow villagers.

I saw the Opening Ceremony for the second time ever, I must be getting
into bad habits. It was worth it, where else can you hear Take 5
arranged for kazoos?

SATURDAY

One item I was determined to get to was How to Buckle a Swash. It was
educational to see what happened when rapiers, short swords, spears,
axes, etc. were matched against each other (not all at the same time,
mostly). The best bit was the Circle of Betrayal(?) when the helpful
audience didn't warn Orjan that he was about to die.

Another item I wanted to get to was Graham Higgins storytelling. It was
as good as I'd heard, a mix of funny, sweet and sad stories.
Unfortunately, it was cut a bit short because people wanted to get to
the Maskerade.

Right before dinner, various people were summoned out of Ops by
Alchemist Deputies Patrick and Eelco to watch the Alchemists and
Seamstresses movie that they'd written and shot that day. It was so good
that we were giving other people tokens so that they could go see it.

The Hedgehog Party was a great success. Two Germans (Robert & ??) tried
to persuade me to eat some ginger bears and dubious peas. I met one
person who I hadn't seen before, Jens Ayton, but spent most of the time
catching up with oldbies like Bernd (Tefkab) and Jeremy Stark who I
hadn't seen in years. I also purchased a moratorium on short jokes from
Karen's #2.

After the party, I went to the Hub where I found that the Voodoo Board
had committed suicide, so had to get the gaffer tape. Again. A bunch of
people, Len Oil, Eelco, Cybercat, Ali (who was still embroidering a DW
bookmark), Leo, Snow and some others were lounging about in the Hub so I
joined them. It was one of those late night conversations where you go
from songs about frogs to weddings, to a civil(!) argument about the
Middle East, until it's 3am and the knock knock jokes start.

SUNDAY

I was woken shortly after 8am It was either a family of giant
woodpeckers or builders doing renovations right above my head. Argh.

On my way to breakfast, two Conjurers carrying beautifully made Feegle
dolls asked if I would like to see their new disappearing Feegle trick
(the one that didn't involve running away). As I'd only had four hours
sleep, I opted to pay an extra token to have it performed "with
sympathy". She asked me to close my eyes and hold out my hand. After a
moment, I was allowed to open my eyes and the Feegles had disappeared
under her colleague's cloth. She then adopted her most sympathetic voice
and said, while stroking my hand reassuringly, "there, there, nasty
Feegle all gone now, they won't come back."

By 10am I was up in Ops, helping someone enter an article for the
Chronicle Live. They had a toddler with an imaginary PDA...

At noon, I was in Treacle Mines with Alex Carlton and David Cook, doing
the second juggling workshop of the weekend. Saturday tends to have the
fast learners, Sunday the slower ones for some reason. It is incredibly
satisfying to see struggling beginners persevere and suddenly "get"
three balls.

I escaped from Ops in time to catch the last half of Terry and The Mob
talking about Hogfather. So someone is going to have to explain about
the tentacles because I missed it. I did get to see the clip of Nobby
visiting the Hogfather. As far as I'm concerned they got Nobby right --
not only does he look like he could sidle while standing still, his face
has sidling capabilities too.

The response to the clip was overwhelming, I hadn't expected such a
strong reaction from the audience. Afterwards, the Mob handed out the
teeth as souvenirs -- there were all sorts, not just molars. Now that's
attention to detail. Anyway, based on this, I'm sure people will enjoy
the movie and there'll be just enough to complain about to keep the fans
happy. :-)

As soon as that ended, I accompanied Bernard to get a pile of programme
books signed as prizes, fed him strong coffee and very apologetically
herded him to the Charity Auction for which he was the auctioneer. He
even abandoned his sandwich for me. I'm going to hell.

Usually I'm not one for book signings, but I'd finally remembered to
bring my copy of Good Omens which Neil had signed four years ago in
Rotterdam so had to get "apply holy match here" from Terry. As he was
signing, Rob Wilkins came up with a Hogfather tooth that had a hanger
set into it and asked Terry if it was okay if someone (Barrie Wakeford?)
sold them. It had taken less than an hour between the teeth being handed
out and the finished product. I believe the word "loonies" was used. :-)

Sometime after midnight, a confused Committee member asked over the
radio, "why are there teeth in my bed?"

MONDAY

Just after 8am and the giant woodpeckers with drills are back. I fail to
meet the Assassins Guild on the way to breakfast.

There were still people asking questions but noticeably less than before
as the attendees had settled into the rhythm of the con. My memory is
hazy at this point but I do remember thinking just how *nice* and
patient the attendees were. Inevitably there will be organisational
hiccups but everyone was at pains to assure me that I didn't have to
rush to solve their particular problem. Which makes you want to work all
the harder.

The Closing Ceremony: people were thanked, awarded, applauded and
(almost?) sung at by the fat lady.

After dinner, I caught the tail end of the Dead Monkey party in Hub.
Various cloggies and other people were occupying couches there, so I
joined them and laughed at silly things until it hurt.

TUESDAY

Much saying of goodbyes and standing on tippy toes for hugs. Karen's #2
reminded me that the moratorium on short jokes had ended.

Get home, post two articles to the Chronicle Live and pray they are
coherent. Am amazed at the amount of stuff that the team have posted
over the weekend. I still don't think I've read it all.

Collapse into bed. I did crawl out the day after to go to dance class.
"What did you do during your weekend?" they asked.

"Well..."

--
Kimberley Verburg, k...@lspace.org

** Discworld Con 2008: We'll be back! **

Eric Jarvis

Aug 29, 2006, 10:05:56 AM8/29/06
Kimberley Verburg k...@lspace.org wrote in <4lh8v6F...@individual.net>:

> I saw the Opening Ceremony for the second time ever, I must be getting
> into bad habits. It was worth it, where else can you hear Take 5
> arranged for kazoos?

Arranged?

--
eric
www.ericjarvis.co.uk

Julian Hall

Aug 29, 2006, 11:29:39 AM8/29/06
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:05:56 +0100, Eric Jarvis wrote:

> Kimberley Verburg k...@lspace.org wrote in <4lh8v6F...@individual.net>:
>>
>> I saw the Opening Ceremony for the second time ever, I must be getting
>> into bad habits. It was worth it, where else can you hear Take 5
>> arranged for kazoos?
>>

> Arranged?

Possibly in the context of having 'arranged' for some people to be stood
within shouting distance (not necessarily eyesight) of some sheet music
that may or may not have a Take 5 tune on it?
--
Kind regards,

Julian Hall
"I'm only on the planet because I missed the bus home"

Kimberley Verburg

Aug 29, 2006, 1:23:55 PM8/29/06
Julian Hall wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:05:56 +0100, Eric Jarvis wrote:

>> Arranged?
>
> Possibly in the context of having 'arranged' for some people to be stood
> within shouting distance (not necessarily eyesight) of some sheet music
> that may or may not have a Take 5 tune on it?

Perhaps I misused the word under the strain of summing up the Con in a
mere :-) 1500 words. Let it be said that five upstanding members of the
Musicians Guild verbed Take 5 on kazoos in front of an audience of
hundreds...

Actually, I'm just proud I managed to identify *one* of the eight tunes.

--
Kimberley Verburg
k...@lspace.org

Message has been deleted

Sabremeister Brian

Aug 29, 2006, 2:16:47 PM8/29/06
In a speech called 4ljbnfF...@individual.net,
Kimberley Verburg (k...@lspace.org) spake thusly:

Nine tunes. I think I got most of them, and had to whisper about half
of those to Andrew, who was sitting next to me going "what's that one
again?"

--
www.sabremeister.me.uk
www.livejournal.com/users/sabremeister/

Orjan Westin

Aug 29, 2006, 4:19:38 PM8/29/06
Kimberley Verburg wrote:

> One item I was determined to get to was How to Buckle a Swash.

I'm flattered. I hope you enjoyed it.

> It was
> educational to see what happened when rapiers, short swords, spears,
> axes, etc. were matched against each other (not all at the same time,
> mostly). The best bit was the Circle of Betrayal(?) when the helpful
> audience didn't warn Orjan that he was about to die.

I was surprised, actually, as I had expected the reasonably large afper
contigent to shout "Behind you!" in unison, but in hindsight I realise that
my untimely death was a lot more entertaining.

It's called a "Circle of Treachery", by the way, but "Betrayal" is close
enough.

<snip>

> Much saying of goodbyes and standing on tippy toes for hugs. Karen's
> #2 reminded me that the moratorium on short jokes had ended.

She should compile them into a book.

Of course, you could retaliate with "stick figure" jokes.

Orjan
--
The Tale of Westala and Villtin
http://tale.cunobaros.com/

Ssirienna

Aug 29, 2006, 5:58:15 PM8/29/06

"Eric Jarvis" <er...@ericjarvis.co.uk> wrote in message

> Kimberley Verburg k...@lspace.org wrote in <4lh8v6F...@individual.net>:
>>
>> I saw the Opening Ceremony for the second time ever, I must be getting
>> into bad habits. It was worth it, where else can you hear Take 5
>> arranged for kazoos?
>>

> Arranged?

That's the right technical term for a piece of music
cunningly thrown together to sound like something?

Ssirienna

Eric Jarvis

Aug 29, 2006, 6:41:45 PM8/29/06
Sabremeister Brian bpwak...@hotmail.com wrote in
<4ljekiF...@individual.net>:

> In a speech called 4ljbnfF...@individual.net,
> Kimberley Verburg (k...@lspace.org) spake thusly:
>
> > Julian Hall wrote:

> >> Possibly in the context of having 'arranged' for some people to be
> >> stood within shouting distance (not necessarily eyesight) of some
> >> sheet music that may or may not have a Take 5 tune on it?
> >
> > Perhaps I misused the word under the strain of summing up the Con in
> > a mere :-) 1500 words. Let it be said that five upstanding members of
> > the Musicians Guild verbed Take 5 on kazoos in front of an audience
> > of hundreds...
> >
> > Actually, I'm just proud I managed to identify *one* of the eight
> > tunes.
>
> Nine tunes. I think I got most of them, and had to whisper about half
> of those to Andrew, who was sitting next to me going "what's that one
> again?"

Not bad considering that "I think I got most of them" is about as good as
any of us armed with kazoos managed.

Bodo `Garfield' Bellut

Aug 29, 2006, 7:05:55 PM8/29/06
Kimberley Verburg <k...@lspace.org> wrote:

[snip]

>The Hedgehog Party was a great success. Two Germans (Robert & ??) tried

That might have been me.

>to persuade me to eat some ginger bears and dubious peas. I met one

The ginger gums were shaped like little devils, like that might be a
giveaway ^__^;

http://www.baeranland.com/ and search for "ingwer"

Try a Google images search on +wasabi +peas

cu, Bodo
--
Bodo Bellut bo...@bellut.net | USE PGP! +-----------+
Stangefolstr. 17 Fax/Mobile: just ask | (key via server |\ O---m /|

Anastasia

Aug 29, 2006, 8:15:31 PM8/29/06

"Bodo `Garfield' Bellut" <use...@spambin.de> wrote in message

> Kimberley Verburg <k...@lspace.org> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>The Hedgehog Party was a great success. Two Germans (Robert & ??) tried
>
> That might have been me.
>
>>to persuade me to eat some ginger bears and dubious peas. I met one
>
> The ginger gums were shaped like little devils, like that might be a
> giveaway ^__^;

I deeply wish to know where the gummi chili peppers came from. I want a
crate of them.

--
4th swordswoman of the afpocalypse, AFPMinister of Flexible Weapons,
Bondage-happy predator, Speaker-To-Students,

Bodo `Garfield' Bellut

Aug 29, 2006, 11:30:03 PM8/29/06
Anastasia <esmer...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"Bodo `Garfield' Bellut" <use...@spambin.de> wrote in message
>> Kimberley Verburg <k...@lspace.org> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>>The Hedgehog Party was a great success. Two Germans (Robert & ??) tried
>>
>> That might have been me.
>>
>>>to persuade me to eat some ginger bears and dubious peas. I met one
>>
>> The ginger gums were shaped like little devils, like that might be a
>> giveaway ^__^;
>
>I deeply wish to know where the gummi chili peppers came from. I want a
>crate of them.

They came from the same source:

http://www.baerenland.com/

Onlineshop -> Detailsuche -> chili

Unfortunately they won't sell outside of Germany. If you really want some,
I can get some and mail them to you, there may be import regulations on
food(ish stuff) though.

(And _this_ time, there's no typo in the URL...)

Kimberley Verburg

Aug 30, 2006, 12:50:59 PM8/30/06
Eric Jarvis wrote:
> Sabremeister Brian bpwak...@hotmail.com wrote in

>> Nine tunes. I think I got most of them, and had to whisper about half

>> of those to Andrew, who was sitting next to me going "what's that one
>> again?"
>
> Not bad considering that "I think I got most of them" is about as good as
> any of us armed with kazoos managed.

It's more than the Musicians Guild Close-but-no-cigar Harmony Singers
managed. I can't believe I paid five tokens to get Edmund to change
songs, I should have known better.

--
Kimberley Verburg
k...@lspace.org

Kimberley Verburg

Aug 30, 2006, 12:51:06 PM8/30/06
Bodo `Garfield' Bellut wrote:
> Kimberley Verburg <k...@lspace.org> wrote:

>> The Hedgehog Party was a great success. Two Germans (Robert & ??) tried
>
> That might have been me.

Was it? Sorry if it was. I tend to remember serial volunteers. :-)

> The ginger gums were shaped like little devils, like that might be a
> giveaway ^__^;
>
> http://www.baeranland.com/ and search for "ingwer"
>
> Try a Google images search on +wasabi +peas

I heard someone say later on that they were covered in wasabi but I
thought I'd misheard. All noted for future reference...

--
Kimberley Verburg
k...@lspace.org

Bodo `Garfield' Bellut

Aug 30, 2006, 1:59:10 PM8/30/06
Kimberley Verburg <k...@lspace.org> wrote:
>Bodo `Garfield' Bellut wrote:
>> Kimberley Verburg <k...@lspace.org> wrote:
>
>>> The Hedgehog Party was a great success. Two Germans (Robert & ??) tried
>>
>> That might have been me.
>
>Was it? Sorry if it was.

Might have been someone else. 'twas me who brought them, though.

> I tend to remember serial volunteers. :-)

*g* And now that I've volunteered to be organisational involved, I live in
constant fear...

>> The ginger gums were shaped like little devils, like that might be a
>> giveaway ^__^;
>>
>> http://www.baeranland.com/ and search for "ingwer"
>>
>> Try a Google images search on +wasabi +peas
>
>I heard someone say later on that they were covered in wasabi but I
>thought I'd misheard. All noted for future reference...

The peanuts with habanero coating were nice, too. ^_^

Eric Jarvis

Aug 30, 2006, 1:19:08 PM8/30/06
Kimberley Verburg k...@lspace.org wrote in <4llu5jF...@individual.net>:

Close but no cigar harmony singing isn't easy. It should only be attempted
by experienced musicians, and preferably experienced and inebriated
musicians. Just bear in mind that no matter how it sounded to anyone else,
it was louder for us.

Anastasia

Aug 30, 2006, 1:22:37 PM8/30/06

> Anastasia <esmer...@earthlink.net> wrote:
<snip>

>>I deeply wish to know where the gummi chili peppers came from. I want a
>>crate of them.
>
> They came from the same source:
>
> http://www.baerenland.com/
>

> Unfortunately they won't sell outside of Germany. If you really want some,
> I can get some and mail them to you, there may be import regulations on
> food(ish stuff) though.

My German's not up to navigating that site. Hmmm, where does one find out
whether it's legal to send gummi chilis through international post?

And how much would a couple of packets plus postage cost?

Shift to e-mail unless there's deep, group-wide interest in gummi chilis. My
reply-to is valid.

Anastasia

Aug 30, 2006, 2:46:40 PM8/30/06

> Kimberley Verburg <k...@lspace.org> wrote:
>>Bodo `Garfield' Bellut wrote:

>>> Try a Google images search on +wasabi +peas
>>
>>I heard someone say later on that they were covered in wasabi but I
>>thought I'd misheard. All noted for future reference...

Nope, I keep a large container of them on my kitchen table at all times.
When it runs low, I go get more.

> The peanuts with habanero coating were nice, too. ^_^

Damn, I missed those!

Aquarion

Aug 29, 2006, 10:40:31 AM8/29/06
Take a letter Miss Jones: To Kimberley Verburg, [F] DWCon 2006 Report:

> I saw the Opening Ceremony for the second time ever, I must be getting
> into bad habits. It was worth it, where else can you hear Take 5
> arranged for kazoos?

Arranged implies a level of organisation and planning that is not in keeping
with anything the musicians guild had any business being involved with.

--
Aquarion, www.aquarionics.com (Mail to mailinator.com is publicly displayed)
Kellys' Second Law

Richard Bos

Aug 30, 2006, 4:00:55 PM8/30/06
Kimberley Verburg <k...@lspace.org> wrote:

> Bodo `Garfield' Bellut wrote:

> > Try a Google images search on +wasabi +peas

Those are luverly. I would be addicted to them if my supply weren't so
unreliable.

> I heard someone say later on that they were covered in wasabi but I
> thought I'd misheard. All noted for future reference...

Are you still/again in the Netherlands? Some Xenos stores sell them. But
not, blast them, my local Xenos.

Richard

tamara

Aug 31, 2006, 3:16:53 AM8/31/06
Richard Bos wrote:
> Kimberley Verburg <k...@lspace.org> wrote:
>> Bodo `Garfield' Bellut wrote:
>>> Try a Google images search on +wasabi +peas
> Those are luverly. I would be addicted to them if my supply weren't so
> unreliable.

I am addicted, and my supply is not that reliable [1]. And I made my
brother addicted to it - and his supply relies on how often I remember
to send him a tin or two.

> Are you still/again in the Netherlands? Some Xenos stores sell them. But
> not, blast them, my local Xenos.

The Xenos ones are nice, but not as good as the Japanese ones, IMO. I'm
lucky enough to live in a big enough suburb [2] to have many chinese
supermarkets about; They don't always have wasabi peas on stock, but
generally if you can't find the peas in one store you can find it in
another.

Xenos also sell wasabi coated peanuts, though I'm still not sure about
how good those are in comparison.

tamara,
A big city girl stuck in Eindhoven

[1] It depends on how desperate I am to go look for the peas (it still
takes time to run around to all the chinese supermarkets), and on when
they last got the stock in.
[2] Technically a city, but it doesn't feel like one...
--
"From now on, I'll describe the cities to you," the Khan had said, "in
your journeys you will see if they exist."

Julian Hall

Aug 31, 2006, 10:10:03 AM8/31/06

Self inflicted = no sympathy ;)

Richard Bos

Aug 31, 2006, 3:38:19 PM8/31/06
tamara <sp...@blue-infinity.net> wrote:

> Richard Bos wrote:
> > Kimberley Verburg <k...@lspace.org> wrote:
> > Those are luverly. I would be addicted to them if my supply weren't so
> > unreliable.
>
> I am addicted, and my supply is not that reliable [1]. And I made my
> brother addicted to it - and his supply relies on how often I remember
> to send him a tin or two.
>
> > Are you still/again in the Netherlands? Some Xenos stores sell them. But
> > not, blast them, my local Xenos.
>
> The Xenos ones are nice, but not as good as the Japanese ones, IMO. I'm
> lucky enough to live in a big enough suburb [2] to have many chinese
> supermarkets about;

Unfortunately, I live in a small enough town that we're lucky to have a
halal shop. Which is useful as well, because it sells lamb and can be
relied on to have fresh mint when AH doesn't. But no Chinese shops, and
no Japanese wasabi peas.

But fate intervened. I passed Xenos this afternoon, and thought, why
not, might as well check. And they had wasabi peas again! Oh, frabjous
day! I can be a wasabi pea junkie once more!

> Xenos also sell wasabi coated peanuts, though I'm still not sure about
> how good those are in comparison.

I've never even seen those, but if I find them I'll have a try.

Richard

Message has been deleted

Robert Flach

Sep 1, 2006, 10:01:41 PM9/1/06
Bodo `Garfield' Bellut wrote:

> Kimberley Verburg <k...@lspace.org> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>The Hedgehog Party was a great success. Two Germans (Robert & ??) tried
>
> That might have been me.

It certainly was you... (and me ;-)

>>to persuade me to eat some ginger bears and dubious peas. I met one
>
> The ginger gums were shaped like little devils, like that might be a
> giveaway ^__^;
>
> http://www.baeranland.com/ and search for "ingwer"

ok, you already corrected that typo...

> cu, Bodo

Robert

Robert Flach

Sep 1, 2006, 10:03:40 PM9/1/06
Bodo `Garfield' Bellut wrote:

>>>That might have been me.
>>
>>Was it? Sorry if it was.
>
> Might have been someone else. 'twas me who brought them, though.
>
>> I tend to remember serial volunteers. :-)
>
> *g* And now that I've volunteered to be organisational involved, I live in
> constant fear...

You just have to bid a grand at some item at the auction and you will be
banned for upcoming conventions ;-)

>>>The ginger gums were shaped like little devils, like that might be a
>>>giveaway ^__^;
>>>
>>>http://www.baeranland.com/ and search for "ingwer"
>>>
>>>Try a Google images search on +wasabi +peas

OK, we have to find something else for the next event.
Ever tasted Chocolate with Chili? Tastes really good (if you do not have
too much ;-))

>>I heard someone say later on that they were covered in wasabi but I
>>thought I'd misheard. All noted for future reference...
>
> The peanuts with habanero coating were nice, too. ^_^

I disagree, they were _much_ better (and hotter)...

> cu, Bodo

Robert

Suzi

Sep 2, 2006, 5:53:34 AM9/2/06
In article <edaoq4$tcb$2...@steve.prima.de>, Robert Flach r...@prima.de
wibbled...

[Snip]

> OK, we have to find something else for the next event.
> Ever tasted Chocolate with Chili? Tastes really good (if you do not have
> too much ;-))

[Snip]

Can I just, at this point, make a plea for making sure that such items
are labelled and not just given to unsuspecting people - some of us are
allergic to stuff :-/

Suzi

Kayla

Sep 2, 2006, 10:05:11 AM9/2/06
On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 04:03:40 +0200, Robert Flach <r...@prima.de> wrote:

[...]

> OK, we have to find something else for the next event.
> Ever tasted Chocolate with Chili? Tastes really good (if you do not have
> too much ;-))

*g* Many regular attendees at DW events may have tried it - at CCDE
last year I had a variety of sample bits for people to try before
buying. I'm currently trying to convince my supplier (a local, to me,
chocolatier) that dark chocolate with chilli would be at least as good
a seller as the milk chocolate version.

I have to agree with Suzi... not labelling such things can be a bad
idea. It might sound like a "great prank/trick" but some people can
be made very ill if they eat the wrong foods.

Kayla
--
Lady Kayla Designs Studio
Coombe Lane, Shepton Mallet, Somerset, BA4 5XD (01749)342501

Bodo `Garfield' Bellut

Sep 2, 2006, 11:27:43 AM9/2/06

The spicy stuff I brought to the Hedgehog Party was clearly labeled with an
A4 sized biohazard sign. If that's not working, nothing is. I even kept the
bags in case someone wanted to know the ingredients.
Of course there're always people taking things from tables and giving them
to others without telling them what they're eating, there's nothing you can
do against that.

Bodo `Garfield' Bellut

Sep 2, 2006, 11:33:05 AM9/2/06
Robert Flach <r...@prima.de> wrote:

>>>Was it? Sorry if it was.
>>
>> Might have been someone else. 'twas me who brought them, though.
>>
>>> I tend to remember serial volunteers. :-)
>>
>> *g* And now that I've volunteered to be organisational involved, I live in
>> constant fear...
>
>You just have to bid a grand at some item at the auction and you will be
>banned for upcoming conventions ;-)

Maybe I'm lucky, nobody asked me to participate, yet. Then again, the
concom's probably still sleeping. ^_^

>OK, we have to find something else for the next event.
>Ever tasted Chocolate with Chili? Tastes really good (if you do not have
>too much ;-))

Chocolate with chili's not new, I brought some in 2004 and there was a lot
this time, too.

I'm sure I'll find something appropriate in the next two years.

>> The peanuts with habanero coating were nice, too. ^_^
>
>I disagree, they were _much_ better (and hotter)...

Compared to the wasabi peas? But of course, that's what made them that nice.
^__^;

Ailbhe

Sep 2, 2006, 4:17:50 PM9/2/06
Kayla <use...@kayla.nospam.wibble.org> wrote
(on Sat, 2 Sep 2006 15:05:11 +0100):

> I'm currently trying to convince my supplier (a local, to me,
> chocolatier) that dark chocolate with chilli would be at least as good
> a seller as the milk chocolate version.
>
> I have to agree with Suzi... not labelling such things can be a bad
> idea. It might sound like a "great prank/trick" but some people can
> be made very ill if they eat the wrong foods.

The hotel cleaners have the restaurant staff to blame for having to clean
up a huge poolside nappy explosion during dwcon 2004, for example. "No
butter on those spuds, love, only olive oil" indeed.

A.

The Flying Hamster

Sep 3, 2006, 3:55:28 PM9/3/06
On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 15:05:11 +0100, Kayla <use...@kayla.nospam.wibble.org> wrote:
> *g* Many regular attendees at DW events may have tried it - at CCDE
> last year I had a variety of sample bits for people to try before
> buying. I'm currently trying to convince my supplier (a local, to me,

I felt like a pusher of sugar related products at this year's con.
"Want to try some chocolate? Free sample...."

--
The Flying Hamster <ham...@korenwolf.net> http://www.korenwolf.net/
We're all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars (O Wilde)

Kimberley Verburg

Sep 4, 2006, 6:29:26 PM9/4/06
Robert Flach wrote:

> OK, we have to find something else for the next event.
> Ever tasted Chocolate with Chili? Tastes really good (if you do not have
> too much ;-))

I'd just bought some chocolate from Hamster and was about to continue on
my way when he suggested a taste of chilli chocolate. For once I decided
to be brave and cautiously took the teeny tiny square offered. I
couldn't really taste the chilli at first and was congratulating myself
on having survived when it hit the back of my throat. Oh lordy.

--
Kimberley Verburg
k...@lspace.org

Bodo `Garfield' Bellut

Sep 4, 2006, 9:28:22 PM9/4/06

I didn't taste Hamster's chocolate (at least not knowingly) but I know the
chili chocolate from Leisieffer[1][2] which I'd describe similar. I really
like it, but the one with the black pepper in is even better. <fx:crincle of
chocolate wrapping/>

cu, Bodo

[1] http://www.leysieffer.de/
[2] brought some in 2004, too

Arthur Hagen

Sep 5, 2006, 12:51:16 AM9/5/06
Bodo `Garfield' Bellut <use...@spambin.de> wrote:

> --
> Bodo Bellut bo...@bellut.net | USE PGP!
> +-----------+
> Stangefolstr. 17 Fax/Mobile: just ask | (key via server |\
> O---m /|
> 44141 Dortmund Fon: +49-700-77-BELLUT | or on request)
> |/---------\|
> PGP: 768/FA18A639 AE 5A 47 40 5A A0 D6 15 8E 54 44 AA 8D DD 6E
> BD+-----------+

You know, using the full 80 characters per line is not a good idea. Not
only do some clients wrap at 7x characters, but some clients which display
80 characters per line will wrap if character 80 on one line and character 1
on the next are both non-space (to avoid ambiguity on whether it's a single
long line broken in the middle or two lines), and your signature then shows
up as gibberish.

Regards,
--
*Art

Bodo `Garfield' Bellut

Sep 5, 2006, 3:54:09 AM9/5/06
Arthur Hagen <a...@broomstick.com> wrote:
>Bodo `Garfield' Bellut <use...@spambin.de> wrote:

[signature]

>You know, using the full 80 characters per line is not a good idea. Not
>only do some clients wrap at 7x characters, but some clients which display
>80 characters per line will wrap if character 80 on one line and character 1
>on the next are both non-space (to avoid ambiguity on whether it's a single
>long line broken in the middle or two lines), and your signature then shows
>up as gibberish.

That would be broken clients, then? As long as the signature separator is
correct (which mine is), clients can recognise the signature and not wrap.

cu, Bodo

The Flying Hamster

Sep 5, 2006, 4:22:16 PM9/5/06
On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 23:29:26 +0100, Kimberley Verburg <k...@lspace.org> wrote:
> I'd just bought some chocolate from Hamster and was about to continue on
> my way when he suggested a taste of chilli chocolate. For once I decided
> to be brave and cautiously took the teeny tiny square offered. I

There's a reason I only offered very small chunks of that one as a
taster :)

> couldn't really taste the chilli at first and was congratulating myself
> on having survived when it hit the back of my throat. Oh lordy.

Oh yes, the time bomb chocolate complete with built in 20 second delay.
I did make sure everyone understood the nature of the offerings "here,
try some of .. and .. and now there's this one banned under the Geneva
convention....

People keep coming back for more :)

The Flying Hamster

Sep 5, 2006, 4:23:09 PM9/5/06
On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 01:28:22 GMT, Bodo `Garfield' Bellut <use...@spambin.de> wrote:
> I didn't taste Hamster's chocolate (at least not knowingly) but I know the
> chili chocolate from Leisieffer[1][2] which I'd describe similar. I really
> like it, but the one with the black pepper in is even better. <fx:crincle of
> chocolate wrapping/>

There was a stack of it at the hedgehog party (partly melted thanks to
an abortive stall in June in stupid heat)

CCA

Sep 5, 2006, 5:14:30 PM9/5/06
The Flying Hamster wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 01:28:22 GMT, Bodo `Garfield' Bellut <use...@spambin.de> wrote:

> > I didn't taste Hamster's chocolate (at least not knowingly) but I know the
> > chili chocolate from Leisieffer[1][2] which I'd describe similar. I really
> > like it, but the one with the black pepper in is even better. <fx:crincle of
> > chocolate wrapping/>

> There was a stack of it at the hedgehog party (partly melted thanks to
> an abortive stall in June in stupid heat)

And it practically ran off the table! There was hardly any left by the
end of the evening, and what was left got hoovered up the next night.
CCA

Bodo `Garfield' Bellut

Sep 5, 2006, 7:04:07 PM9/5/06
The Flying Hamster <ham...@lspace.org> wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 01:28:22 GMT, Bodo `Garfield' Bellut
><use...@spambin.de> wrote:
>> I didn't taste Hamster's chocolate (at least not knowingly) but I know the
>> chili chocolate from Leisieffer[1][2] which I'd describe similar. I really
>> like it, but the one with the black pepper in is even better. <fx:crincle of
>> chocolate wrapping/>
>
>There was a stack of it at the hedgehog party (partly melted thanks to
>an abortive stall in June in stupid heat)

So those were yours. I did taste some of them, then, and nice they were,
too.

cu, Bodo

The Flying Hamster

Sep 6, 2006, 4:35:47 PM9/6/06
On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 23:04:07 GMT, Bodo `Garfield' Bellut <use...@spambin.de> wrote:
> The Flying Hamster <ham...@lspace.org> wrote:
>>On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 01:28:22 GMT, Bodo `Garfield' Bellut
>><use...@spambin.de> wrote:
>>> I didn't taste Hamster's chocolate (at least not knowingly) but I know the
>>> chili chocolate from Leisieffer[1][2] which I'd describe similar. I really
>>> like it, but the one with the black pepper in is even better. <fx:crincle of
>>> chocolate wrapping/>
>>
>>There was a stack of it at the hedgehog party (partly melted thanks to
>>an abortive stall in June in stupid heat)
>
> So those were yours. I did taste some of them, then, and nice they were,
> too.

Well, herself's, I was just minding the stall, being the packhorse to
unload the car (had help loading it up again at the end of the weekend
thanks to a very nice gopher) and being a stand-in Kayla for the weekend
while she was off enjoying herself shouting at the hotel :)

<obPlug>the chocolate is available online on a certain short person's
website :)</>

The Flying Hamster

Sep 6, 2006, 4:36:39 PM9/6/06

Cool, glad to hear it went down well, not that we had any fears on that
count, not knowing just how chocoholic afpers are (I still remember the
chocolate covered sausage).

Jens Ayton

Sep 6, 2006, 5:37:25 PM9/6/06
Kimberley Verburg:

> So far, I've seen one photo of
> me and I'm a blur, which about sums up the con for me.

I think the top of your head is in the stack on the left of this one:
http://flickr.com/photos/ahruman/222112203/

--
\\\\ Jens Ayton, Fratello di Vetinari 36.3636363636364% insane
\\\\\__, Bringing sarcastic one-liners to the common hedgehog since 1999

Jens Ayton

Sep 6, 2006, 5:41:20 PM9/6/06
Bodo `Garfield' Bellut:
> Kimberley Verburg:

>> to persuade me to eat some ginger bears and dubious peas. I met one
>
> The ginger gums were shaped like little devils, like that might be a
> giveaway ^__^;

Damn! How'd I miss those?

Most of my Tyrkisk Peber went uneaten, although the other stuff went.
The fact that the powder on the surface melted in the heat, causing them
to join into one disturbingly shiny black blob, might have had something
to do with it. Also, Supermouse and Geekling weren't there. Anyway, that
left the backup bag to give to Pterry.

Jens Ayton

Sep 6, 2006, 5:46:41 PM9/6/06
The Flying Hamster

> Oh yes, the time bomb chocolate complete with built in 20 second delay.
> I did make sure everyone understood the nature of the offerings "here,
> try some of .. and .. and now there's this one banned under the Geneva
> convention....

(and yet)

> People keep coming back for more :)

That must be *so* satisfying for you.

Bodo `Garfield' Bellut

Sep 6, 2006, 7:56:00 PM9/6/06
Jens Ayton <HEFXRE...@spammotel.com> wrote:
>Bodo `Garfield' Bellut:
>> Kimberley Verburg:
>>>
>>> to persuade me to eat some ginger bears and dubious peas. I met one
>>
>> The ginger gums were shaped like little devils, like that might be a
>> giveaway ^__^;
>
>Damn! How'd I miss those?

Now that they use natural ginger aroma instead of the artifical stuff,
they are much less spicy -- unfortunately, of course. ^_^

>Most of my Tyrkisk Peber went uneaten, although the other stuff went.

And I missed those. The fact that we can keep going on and on about which
wonderful creations we missed shows the grandness of this year's Hedgehog
Party. Improvement will be a tough one, but I'm sure we will manage. ^_^

Winterbay

Sep 7, 2006, 9:39:25 AM9/7/06
Jens Ayton skrev:

> Most of my Tyrkisk Peber went uneaten, although the other stuff went.
> The fact that the powder on the surface melted in the heat, causing them
> to join into one disturbingly shiny black blob, might have had something
> to do with it. Also, Supermouse and Geekling weren't there. Anyway, that
> left the backup bag to give to Pterry.

We were a couple of persons standing by the Tyrkisk Peber and Hekseyl
giving them away to people passing by just to watch their reactions. It
was pretty fun :)

/Winterbay

Karl

Sep 7, 2006, 2:09:31 PM9/7/06
In article <4gHLg.15480$E02....@newsb.telia.net>,
Jens Ayton <HEFXRE...@spammotel.com> wrote:

> Most of my Tyrkisk Peber went uneaten, although the other stuff went.
> The fact that the powder on the surface melted in the heat, causing them
> to join into one disturbingly shiny black blob, might have had something
> to do with it.

well, it *is* made with stuff you can use as a weedkiller and incendiary
accelerant..

Robert Flach

Sep 9, 2006, 6:13:06 PM9/9/06
The Flying Hamster wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 15:05:11 +0100, Kayla <use...@kayla.nospam.wibble.org> wrote:
>> *g* Many regular attendees at DW events may have tried it - at CCDE
>> last year I had a variety of sample bits for people to try before
>> buying. I'm currently trying to convince my supplier (a local, to me,
>
> I felt like a pusher of sugar related products at this year's con.
> "Want to try some chocolate? Free sample...."

I coudn't really sleep after the hedgehog party this time.
Too many CCCBs...

Robert Flach

Sep 9, 2006, 6:19:50 PM9/9/06
Kayla wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 04:03:40 +0200, Robert Flach <r...@prima.de> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> OK, we have to find something else for the next event.
>> Ever tasted Chocolate with Chili? Tastes really good (if you do not have
>> too much ;-))
>
> *g* Many regular attendees at DW events may have tried it - at CCDE
> last year I had a variety of sample bits for people to try before
> buying.

Sure, but chocolate with chili is not chocolate with chili ;-)

There was one thing I tasted on the Convention, which was not really
hot/tasting "chilli-ish".
I like the Leysieffer (https://www.leysieffer.de/), which is quite
expensive, but some of the strange flavours take really good.

> I'm currently trying to convince my supplier (a local, to me,
> chocolatier) that dark chocolate with chilli would be at least as good
> a seller as the milk chocolate version.

I recently bought a "half-dark" (55% cacao) chocolate with chili, which
is really nice (you might ask Bodo about it ;-)
https://www.leysieffer.de/templates/shop_produktliste_detail.html?product_id=200606

> I have to agree with Suzi... not labelling such things can be a bad
> idea. It might sound like a "great prank/trick" but some people can
> be made very ill if they eat the wrong foods.

Like this one? ;-)
http://pics.my-disc.de/dwcon2004/tn/IMG_1630.JPG.html

SCNR

> Kayla

Robert

Anastasia

Sep 15, 2006, 2:46:26 AM9/15/06
Kimberley Verburg wrote:
> It is late, but the people I've been nagging for photos won't let
> me get away with not posting a report. Fair's fair, I suppose. :-)

Hallo, just looking for an appropriate place to post my incomplete report.

It's here:
http://esmeraldus.blogspot.com/2006/09/my-dwcon-report-finally.html

I hope to write up the rest later.

--
Call for Papers: Representing the Other, Gender and Sexuality in the
Fantastic (International Association of the Fantastic in the Arts, Ft

Blog: http://www.esmeraldus.blogspot.com/