Book Review

Son of Pedro

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
Just before buying the next round, Paul Foster paused to say :

>I have read Sorcery before but cant remember every little detail about the
>story. im only on page 80, and there's no way i can finish it and do a
>review of it for Friday (18th Feb). Thanks
>
>Please send any replies to P.Fo...@Daelnet.co.uk
>

> Paul 'Fozzy' Foster, 15 (Year 10)

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I acn almost see the replies
now, filled with Irony, Sarcasm, and anti-facts about Sorcery that
will be contradictory and confusing. I can't wait to see them, i
really can't...

I would say Do Your Own Homework, but other people will have said
that more than once...

The wonderful thing is, you *could* have got the information you
needed, if only you had looked at the group and thought, rather than
seeing the group name and posting...

You haven't had one of these for a while guys[1].... have fun! :)

Gareth
[1] and gals, and all that jaz

Paul Foster

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
fuck you
Son of Pedro <ga...@ultimate42.f9.co.uk> wrote in message

Son of Pedro

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
Paul Foster pointed his finger at me and, at the top of their voice,
screamed:

>fuck you
<snip my reply>

Wow, that's such a personal insult, it's not like you say that
everyday and strip all meaning from it. That's just so harsh, I
think I'm going to cry, I really do. Boo-hoo.

'fuck you' doesn't mean anything. Or rather it does, but I can tell
from the way you used it that it doesn't mean anything to *you*. It
just came from the mouth, not from the 'head' or the 'heart', just
from the mouth. It's like shouting ALL THE TIME. No-one knows when
you mean it.

And it's a shame, because words can be so powerful. They can make
you happy, and laugh (and of Pterry hasn't made you laugh, then just
give up now), and they can make you sad, and cry. And these are
just words from books; written by someone who is writing to masses,
not to you personally. If you can use words towards someone
personally, directly, you can do as much emotionally as you can with
spoken words[1]. Just because you can't see someone, doesn't mean
you can't be personal.

I suggest you stick around, young Mr. Foster, although I wouldn't
post too much unless you can manage to twist your attitude into a
more pleasant shape. Not because anyone would value your opinion,
as I'm sure you have nothing worthwhile to contribute. tbh, I'm
surprised you managed to send those four posts without any offensive
language in them. For someone of your apparent age that must have
been a great strain on your resources.
No, stay and read, because you might learn something[2] There are
people here from across the water that speak better English than you
ever will. There are people here who know how to insult people
properly, without using stings of slang that you find on other
groups and message boards across the Internet.

I really do doubt that you have been given 3 days to read a book and
write a report, especially if it's GCSE coursework. If it's
correct, then I do sincerely apologise, but more likely the case is
that you were given a far longer time to write the Macbeth essay,
and then given the book report, but you've only left yourself 3
days. You are allowed to read books other than when you have to,
you know. Some people even read for fun[3]. You could have read
Sorcery in your spare time, and left plenty of time to write a
report.
It's your own fault for leaving yourself 3 days to do the whole
thing, and I'm sure you'll have other homework to do that will take
even more time away from you. If that's all you've got, then you
should have chosen a smaller book.

Knuckle down and read the book. You've got enough time if you
really go at it. If that's too much of a strain, you could go to
the local library and take out the audio version, which will give
you the gist that you are after.

I'll leave you now, as I'm sure you need to go and do some reading,
and I wouldn't want your brain to over-heat.

Gareth - who has found some anger bubbling up from some depth, and
doesn't know why.

[1] Almost, atleast.
[2] Simpsons: "Hey, he's learning on his own. Let's get him!" :)
[3] My, what freaks these people must be, to want to read books.
Surely they must all be insane.

--
hmm, I feel a bit better now. Still some more to come out
somewhere, though

Shim

Feb 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/15/00
On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:16:31 +0000, Son of Pedro <ga...@ultimate42.f9.co.uk>
expounded:

(...)

>You haven't had one of these for a while guys[1].... have fun! :)
>
>Gareth
>[1] and gals, and all that jaz

So jazz is sexless, then? <g>

-Shim.

Charles A. Lieberman

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:16:31 +0000
Son of Pedro

>The wonderful thing is, you *could* have got the information you
>needed, if only you had looked at the group and thought, rather than
>seeing the group name and posting...

Or if he'd RTFB! It's not all that long!

--
Charles A. Lieberman Brooklyn, NY, USA FairGo on L-space IRC
AFP Code 2.0 AGo/Li-US d(--) s: a-- U++>+ R F++ h- P! OS--:- C++ M-

Dragon Prince

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00

Paul Foster <P.Fo...@Daelnet.co.uk> wrote in message

| Son of Pedro <ga...@ultimate42.f9.co.uk> wrote in message
| > Just before buying the next round, Paul Foster paused to say :
| >
| > >I have read Sorcery before but cant remember every little detail
about
| the
| > >story. im only on page 80, and there's no way i can finish it and
do a
| > >review of it for Friday (18th Feb). Thanks

Sheesh, the uoff of today. maybe you should find out something about
time management, not get home, jump on the pute,surf the net, play
three hours of quake watch an hours tv. bugger off round mates for a
while and actualy DO DO what you should be doing.namely your GCSE work.
its more important in the long run.

when exactly did you get the book to review yesterday? or several weeks
ago. I'm sorry that its probably beyond the stage of *the cat sat on
the mat* but unfortunatly if thats what you hoped for, then you have
messed up big time. instead of reading the book you wasted your time
and ours by comeing here with your winging request. You could for
example have looked to see what you could have found on the web, its
called research, and properly accreadited is allowable in a review. If
you had bothered to read the FAQ's for this group it states *We don't do
your home work!* your not the first to have questions turned away, and
you certainly won't be the last. grow up, act in a more mature manner
than the spoiled brat you come across as, there are younger persons
posting here, who quite frankly show a better understanding of group
dynamics than you do and at the rate of the detritus you have expunged
onto the group you will nead to do a lot of catching up....

| > > Paul 'Fozzy' Foster, 15 (Year 10)
| >

| > I would say Do Your Own Homework, but other people will have said
| > that more than once...

{moved for comprehension, as cited poster is obviously clue lacking!

| fuck you

if he had half a brain he'd join the [1] party unfortunatly he seams to
lack that qualification :(

I would at this point say *plonk* but I want to see the next move!

[1] insert objectionable political party/group here eg. national
fron*,NRa &c

Dragon Prince
--

"The wise win before the fight whilst the ignorant fight to win"
Sun Tzu-'The Art of war'

Paul Foster

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
i do read for fun, ive read nearly every discworld book bar about 4 i think

here ya go, hows this for an insult

u r a fucking pufter with a brain the size of an undeveloped peanut. ur
mother was as slack as an overstretched elastic band due to the fact that
she tried for 30 years for a baby with as many blokes as she could and then
was given the great dissappointment of u slipping out.

r u all as thick as u sound? i have already mentioned several times that i
have read the book b4.

Son of Pedro <ga...@ultimate42.f9.co.uk> wrote in message

Jens Ayton

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
Paul Foster wrote:

> i do read for fun, ive read nearly every discworld book bar about 4 i think
>
> here ya go, hows this for an insult
>
> u r a fucking pufter with a brain the size of an undeveloped peanut. ur
> mother was as slack as an overstretched elastic band due to the fact that
> she tried for 30 years for a baby with as many blokes as she could and then
> was given the great dissappointment of u slipping out.

No, not very impressive, sorry. The fact that you couldn't manage to do
that and spell at the same time is downright pitiable. I feel inclined
to floccinaucinihilipilificate you entirely.

> r u all as thick as u sound? i have already mentioned several times that i
> have read the book b4.

I don't belive you have; in fact, I do belive you haven't.

--
Jens Ayton, Fratello di Vetinari

Relieve guilt and hunger in one fell swoop: http://www.thehungersite.com

Jennie Lees

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
In article <38aaf6d4$0$16...@news.zetnet.co.uk>, Paul Foster apparently
said, in reply to Son of Pedro...

> i do read for fun, ive read nearly every discworld book bar about 4 i think
>
> here ya go, hows this for an insult
>
> u r a fucking pufter with a brain the size of an undeveloped peanut. ur
> mother was as slack as an overstretched elastic band due to the fact that
> she tried for 30 years for a baby with as many blokes as she could and then
> was given the great dissappointment of u slipping out.

Says a lot for my taste in men, that. Thanks...

Gareth - where's the aardvark got to?

> r u all as thick as u sound? i have already mentioned several times that i
> have read the book b4.

Not to my recollection...

Jennie
--
Allegedly written by Jennie Lees +++ afpiancée to Jonathan H, Mary M
and Leo Ba., and Gareth's afparamour +++ mailto:jl...@ukonline.co.uk

Paul Foster

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
try reading the original post
Jennie Lees <afpu...@lineone.net> wrote in message

Steven Megson

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
Jens Ayton <sp...@dev.null> wrote in message

> Paul Foster wrote:
> >
> > i do read for fun, ive read nearly every discworld book bar about 4 i
think

> > here ya go, hows this for an insult
> >
> > u r a fucking pufter with a brain the size of an undeveloped peanut.
ur
> > mother was as slack as an overstretched elastic band due to the fact
that
> > she tried for 30 years for a baby with as many blokes as she could and
then
> > was given the great dissappointment of u slipping out.
>
> No, not very impressive, sorry. The fact that you couldn't manage to do
> that and spell at the same time is downright pitiable. I feel inclined
> to floccinaucinihilipilificate you entirely.

Oh come now, I for one am quite phrasmotic for the pericombobulation Paul
has suffered, and can only wish that in future he will have the sense to
complete his assignments more interphrastically.

> > r u all as thick as u sound? i have already mentioned several times that
> > have read the book b4.
>

> I don't belive you have; in fact, I do belive you haven't.

Well technically, he mentioned it four times in his original posts, though
that hardly counts. Certainly he has done nothing to indicate that it is
true, though.

BTW, im much fikker that wot i sound, cos every1 nows this is how 2 sound
clevver.

--
Steve Megson sm...@cam.ac.uk
Churchill College, Cambridge

Martin Wisse

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:13:40 -0000, "Paul Foster"
<P.Fo...@Daelnet.co.uk> wrote:

>i do read for fun, ive read nearly every discworld book bar about 4 i think
>
>here ya go, hows this for an insult
>
> u r a fucking pufter with a brain the size of an undeveloped peanut. ur
>mother was as slack as an overstretched elastic band due to the fact that
>she tried for 30 years for a baby with as many blokes as she could and then
>was given the great dissappointment of u slipping out.
>

>r u all as thick as u sound? i have already mentioned several times that i
>have read the book b4.

At least he didn't take his spelling lessons from Prince.

A nice story for your education:

Once upon a time there was a lazy computer science student who didn't
want to do his assignment. Too difficult to do and too much to ask,
thought he. Of course if he didn't do this assignment he would fail his
course, which was unfair. So what to do, what to do?

Then one day he hit upon the answer: ask the kind folks of a local
newsgroup to help. He knew these people liked to help others as he had
seen them do it many times and so he posted his assignment, mentioning
that any answers should be sent to his e-ail address, given to him by
the CS department.

Unknown to him however, one of the oldest and most respected members o
that newsgroup was a teacher at the very same CS depravement, in fact
the teacher who had handed him the assignment in the first place.

That same day the student got enlightened.

Moral: Asking others to do your work for you can easily offend.

Martin Wisse
--
"She's dead. Now can i keep the job?"
"She's not dead."

T Mark Hall

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
In article <38aaf6d4$0$16...@news.zetnet.co.uk>, Paul Foster
<P.Fo...@Daelnet.co.uk> writes

>i do read for fun, ive read nearly every discworld book bar about 4 i think
>
>here ya go, hows this for an insult

Sorry, but you give mediocrity a bad name.
--
T Mark Hall
Wrestle poodles and win!

Jens Ayton

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
Richard Eney wrote:

> This is a service announcement:
>
> Every time you answer an obvious troll, you feed his tiny ego.
>
> A.F.P. has a tradition of not indulging in idiocy like flame competitions.
> We leave it to our experts and go on about our business.
>
> Move along now. Nothing to be seen here.

But... it's such a _cute_ little nanimal.

Richard Eney

McCarthy

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00

Richard Eney <dic...@Radix.Net> wrote in message

Well, in that spirit;

Lovely weather we're having. For the time of year. Gosh, doesn't that cloud
look like a weasel... or possibly a whale?
Actually, maybe a fire engine.

(Has he gone?)

thom

--
thom willis
sc...@mostly.com

Son of Pedro

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00
Just before buying the next round, Richard Eney paused to say :

>This is a service announcement:
>
>Every time you answer an obvious troll, you feed his tiny ego.
>
>A.F.P. has a tradition of not indulging in idiocy like flame competitions.
>We leave it to our experts and go on about our business.
>
>Move along now. Nothing to be seen here.
>

>=Tamar

Awww.. but I like playing with the 'ickle man. You're right
though. <sigh>

Sorry Fozzy, but I have to go home for my tea now. It's been fun
;0)

Gareth
--
and just to make sure...
...this thread reminds me of Hitler...

David Chapman

Feb 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/16/00

> try reading the original post

Oddly enough, Paul does claim to have read Sourcery before in the original
post. However, that doesn't change the fact that he has shit for brains -
so that's all right, isn't it?

--
I was always going to be something someday.
And eventually, they're going to find out what it is.

Suzi

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
In article <slrn8amb99...@roadkill.highwayone.net>, Peter Ellis
wibbled...

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:13:40 -0000, Paul Foster wrote:
[Snip]

> That's odd. There's some quite long words there spelled all right, which
> makes me sus[icious when he gets the rest so wrong? Just what is a
> "pufter"? Someone with a dragon fetish? Or just someone who breathes too
> much? No, I don't buy it. I think this is a code. Or rather, an
> anagram.

Would that it were so... but the posting history in deja shows the
normal pimply-faced-teenage pattern of posting to many games groups.

Suzi
--
AFP Help? <afp-...@lspace.org> & LSpace Web http://www.lspace.org/
Online Guide at http://www.aber.ac.uk/~cap96/afpguide/afpguide.html

Paul Wilkins

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
Jens Ayton wrote

> Richard Eney wrote:
> > Move along now. Nothing to be seen here.
> But... it's such a _cute_ little nanimal.

Yeah, but if you keep feeding it you just know that it's going to want to
carry on sticking around, don't you?

--
Paul Wilkins
pm...@paradise.net.nz

Oggham

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
You get to do a review on a Discworld book? We had crap like
Tess of the Durbevilles and other frock drama romances.
Geez, I could have a Doctorate by now going to your school.

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

Mad Dragon

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00

Peter Ellis wrote in message

:Just what is a "pufter"? Someone with a dragon fetish?

Peter you are a mean and wicked boy.. If it wasn't for the fact that
I know you would enjoy it.. I would singe you backside...

Mad Dragon

Jens Ayton

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
Miq wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Paul Foster <P.Fo...@Daelnet.co.uk> wrote
> <stuff>
>
> Okay, Paul, you win. The answer to your question is:

<snip masterful summation>

Bravo! This should be in an[1] FAQ.

[1] Because "eff-eh-queue" sounds _much_ beter than "fack."

Jens Ayton

Feb 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/17/00
Paul Wilkins wrote:

> Jens Ayton wrote
> > Richard Eney wrote:
> > > Move along now. Nothing to be seen here.
> > But... it's such a _cute_ little nanimal.
>
> Yeah, but if you keep feeding it you just know that it's going to want to
> carry on sticking around, don't you?

Yes, but it would probably eventually learn about sarcasm, realize that
it tends to be its butt[1] and may, perhaps, realize the purpose of
spelling, the usefulness of manners and the joy of mental excercise, and
grow into a fine upstanding citizen. If not, we can throw him in the
snake pit[2].

[1] This does not mean that the idiot == the idiot bottom, but rather
that the sarcasm will inevitably tend te be aimed at said idiot. Just so
you know.
[2] To be the snake, that is.[3]
[3] Which, young mister Foster, is a reference to Sourcery. Fancy that!

ingenious paradox

Feb 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/19/00
Miq <Mi...@kew1.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Paul Foster <P.Fo...@Daelnet.co.uk> wrote
><stuff>
>
>Okay, Paul, you win. The answer to your question is:
>

>SPOILERS below for Sourcery

oooh Miq, you meanie!

This should go on that false facts page: it's so near the truth!

(it's after his deadline now, I can write this...)

Logical bonds

Julie
--
...a strange singing girl...

parasta miehelle }:-|

Paul Foster

Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
>get that hang of
> snipping unnecessary quoted text, and you'll be well on your way.
>
> Gareth

Kinda like this then?

Eric Jarvis

Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00

yep...kinda like that...but leaving the previous contributor's name in
at the top as well as the sign off underneath...though I'm a relative
newbie too and may be wrong [1] about that

[1] learning the rules and customs of AFP is proving to be slightly
harder than University level physics [2]

[2] and almost as amusing

eric

"the alternative to seeing things in black and white is to see them in
full colour"

Jens Ayton

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
Paul Foster wrote:

> >get that hang of
> > snipping unnecessary quoted text, and you'll be well on your way.
> >
> > Gareth
>
> Kinda like this then?

Just about. An attribution at the top would have been nice. Proper
spelling was a nice addition. Welcome to the world of jocular Pratchett
fans who find themselves too clever by half, and let's not mention this
book report business again, shall we?

Lindsay Endell

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
Eric Jarvis wrote:

> [1] learning the rules and customs of AFP is proving to be slightly
> harder than University level physics [2]
>
> [2] and almost as amusing

You jest! The rules and customs of AFP do not change on an annual
basis. University level physics tends to go "What we taught you last
year wasn't quite true. Learn this rule"...

Linz

Jennifer Gray

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
And then, on Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Lindsay Endell <go...@nospam.demon.co.uk>

Sounds a lot like A-level chemistry. Which I haven't started yet but
apparently they spend a good part of the course telling you that what
you learnt for GCSE was wrong.

Love from
Jennifer

--
AFPniece to Irina, AFPiancee to Shim, AFPsister to James.
Also a Guardian Angel in Heaven's Little Angels and a member of WWACCDE99

Rosemary Warner

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000 07:15:21 +0000, Jennifer Gray
<Jenn...@cloud926.idps.co.uk> wrote:

>And then, on Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Lindsay Endell <go...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
>suddenly felt compelled to write:
>>Eric Jarvis wrote:
>>>
>>> [1] learning the rules and customs of AFP is proving to be slightly
>>> harder than University level physics [2]
>>>
>>> [2] and almost as amusing
>>
>>You jest! The rules and customs of AFP do not change on an annual
>>basis. University level physics tends to go "What we taught you last
>>year wasn't quite true. Learn this rule"...
>
>Sounds a lot like A-level chemistry. Which I haven't started yet but
>apparently they spend a good part of the course telling you that what
>you learnt for GCSE was wrong.

Oh yes. Tell me about it. 6 months of A level Chemistry and almost all
of GCSE is down the pan. And when we had the concept of electron
orbits explained with balloons of different shapes, I started to
wonder about theaccuracy (and sanity) about the A level. In two years
time I'm fairly sure I'll be saying that plenty of the A level
syllabus is a lie too...... (university.....eek....the big wide
world.......)

Rosemary "1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2........."

Member of WWACCDE99,Sister of Vetinari.|**VIOLA PRIDE!**|

It takes 42 muscles in the face to frown....
or 4 muscles in the arm to smack the ba*d!

Mark Brown

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
go...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Lindsay Endell) writes:

> Eric Jarvis wrote:

> > [1] learning the rules and customs of AFP is proving to be slightly
> > harder than University level physics [2]

> You jest! The rules and customs of AFP do not change on an annual

> basis. University level physics tends to go "What we taught you last
> year wasn't quite true. Learn this rule"...

I haven't really noticed them doing too much of that to me. Normally
it's either "Here's how we got the answers we made you learn by rote
last year." or "Here's a different way of tackling problems.".
Generally, if there are holes in what they're saying they'll at least
tell you about them.

--
Mark Brown mailto:bro...@tardis.ed.ac.uk (Trying to avoid grumpiness)
http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/

Tera

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
On Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:10:00 GMT, rw...@lghs.demon.co.uk (Rosemary
Warner) wrote:

> Jennifer Gray
>> Lindsay Endell

>>>You jest! The rules and customs of AFP do not change on an annual
>>>basis. University level physics tends to go "What we taught you last
>>>year wasn't quite true. Learn this rule"...
>>

>>Sounds a lot like A-level chemistry. Which I haven't started yet but
>>apparently they spend a good part of the course telling you that what
>>you learnt for GCSE was wrong.
>>
>Oh yes. Tell me about it. 6 months of A level Chemistry and almost all
>of GCSE is down the pan. And when we had the concept of electron
>orbits explained with balloons of different shapes, I started to
>wonder about theaccuracy (and sanity) about the A level. In two years
>time I'm fairly sure I'll be saying that plenty of the A level
>syllabus is a lie too...... (university.....eek....the big wide
>world.......)
>
>Rosemary "1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2........."

Goddamn hedgehogging transition metals! Turns out not even harmless
little metal ions are on their own, they've been surrounded!
Co-ordinated! Wrapped up in complicated ligands with lots of teeth!
[this is how the madman chem teech explained polydentate, see]

And if that wasn't enough, they're explaining it all by
anthropomorphising the d**n electrons! They want to be on their own,
do they? Have you asked them, Dr Cox? Have they whispered in little
charged voices in your ear, like Sooty and Matthew Corbett, that they
vant to be alone? Have they? Have they?

No, they haven't. So give us the bloody wave equation and talk some
sense, man.

Tera, feeling much better now thank you doctor.
Skiver, reader and Turing test failure
go.to/aimlessnameless