The Librarian

T C Kennick

Feb 16, 1994, 6:06:36 PM2/16/94

Let us true Pratchett fans mount a campain to KEEP CAMBRIDGE OUT

P.S. do any of you cam lot Have a bike any

Where on your persons I could borrow
Tony Kennick <T.C.K...@Sheffield.ac.uk>

D.J.S. Damerell

Feb 20, 1994, 9:02:26 AM2/20/94
In article <2ju8ts$i...@hippo.shef.ac.uk> el93...@silver.shef.ac.uk (T C Kennick) writes:

>Let us true Pratchett fans mount a campain to KEEP CAMBRIDGE OUT

Yes! Count me in! We can't have cam.ac.uk dominating us! <Glances at own E-
mail address>. Oops.

>P.S. do any of you cam lot Have a bike any

>Where on your persons I could borrow

On my person? <Looks in pockets>. Nope.

>Tony Kennick <T.C.K...@Sheffield.ac.uk>

David Damerell, Gorn Confederation Academy. djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk
Real Life: Trinity College, Cambridge. |These opinions are mine alone.
"Who wants to live forever?" -Queen "ME!" -me| Who else would want them?
Books: Niven, Eddings | RPGs: AD&D, Cthulhu | Computer games: Elitist
TV: Any Star Trek | WARG: Star Fleet Battles | Music: Queen & classical

R.J. Kettlewell

Feb 20, 1994, 11:04:09 AM2/20/94
In article <djsd100.11...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (D.J.S. Damerell) writes:
>In article <2ju8ts$i...@hippo.shef.ac.uk> el93...@silver.shef.ac.uk (T C
>Kennick) writes:

>>Let us true Pratchett fans mount a campain to KEEP CAMBRIDGE OUT

>Yes! Count me in! We can't have cam.ac.uk dominating us! <Glances at own E-
>mail address>. Oops.

>>P.S. do any of you cam lot Have a bike any
>>Where on your persons I could borrow

>On my person? <Looks in pockets>. Nope.

Perhaps we should lend him a 'community' bike.. :)

>>Tony Kennick <T.C.K...@Sheffield.ac.uk>
>
>David Damerell, Gorn Confederation Academy. djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk
>Real Life: Trinity College, Cambridge. |These opinions are mine alone.
>"Who wants to live forever?" -Queen "ME!" -me| Who else would want them?
>Books: Niven, Eddings | RPGs: AD&D, Cthulhu | Computer games: Elitist
>TV: Any Star Trek | WARG: Star Fleet Battles | Music: Queen & classical

If you're going to chuck Cambridge off afp, start on the Trekkies....

:)

ObAFP: I see that the CUSFS Drinks list has come back to haunt us. Perhaps
'what is green lager?' should go in FAQ? :)

Hmm. Too many smileys there.

Richard Kettlewell rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk

V.K. Wilks

Feb 20, 1994, 11:19:51 AM2/20/94
In article <djsd100.11...@hermes.cam.ac.uk>, djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (D.J.S. Damerell) writes:
|> In article <2ju8ts$i...@hippo.shef.ac.uk> el93...@silver.shef.ac.uk (T C Kennick) writes:
|>
|> >Let us true Pratchett fans mount a campain to KEEP CAMBRIDGE OUT
|>
|> Yes! Count me in! We can't have cam.ac.uk dominating us! <Glances at own E-
|> mail address>. Oops.
|>
|> >P.S. do any of you cam lot Have a bike any
|>
|> >Where on your persons I could borrow
|>
|> On my person? <Looks in pockets>. Nope.
|>
|> >Tony Kennick <T.C.K...@Sheffield.ac.uk>
|>
|> David Damerell, Gorn Confederation Academy. djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk
[sig deleted]

Agh! Traitor! Get him, folks - he is tryng to scupper our plan!

One question b4 I go though - why exactly does someone in Sheffield want to
borrow a bike off someone in Cambridge? Bit of a long way to ride, innit?
Oh well. Whatever turns you on, as they say...

Vik.
--
VICKY WILKS |
| DISCLAIMER : I am a CompSci.
Clare College |
Cambridge | RECLAIMER : MINE! Give it back!
CB2 1TL |
ENGLAND | EXCLAIMER : WOW!

J. Cameron

Feb 20, 1994, 12:20:05 PM2/20/94
In article <1994Feb20.1...@infodev.cam.ac.uk>, vkw...@cl.cam.ac.uk (V.K. Wilks) writes:

|> [sig deleted]
|>
|> Agh! Traitor! Get him, folks - he is tryng to scupper our plan!

I reckon we should chuck out these wets from Trinity and Churchill and stage a
CLARE takeover of afp...

|> Vik.
|> --
|> VICKY WILKS |

--
jim (also from Clare)

jc1...@phx.cam.ac.uk
jc1...@hermes.cam.ac.uk
jc1...@cus.cam.ac.uk

O.S. Dunn

Feb 21, 1994, 5:53:26 AM2/21/94
In article <1994Feb20....@infodev.cam.ac.uk> jc1...@cus.cam.ac.uk (J. Cameron) writes:
>From: jc1...@cus.cam.ac.uk (J. Cameron)
>Subject: Re: The Librarian
>Date: Sun, 20 Feb 1994 17:20:05 GMT

_I_ never have had a bike because _I_ knew about the Reverse Gravity
Phenomenon before I got here.

^^^^^^^
Aaaaargggh! We're multiplying!

>|> [sig deleted]
>|>
>|> Agh! Traitor! Get him, folks - he is tryng to scupper our plan!

What plan? The bizarre plot to get afp threads relevant to their subject
lines? (Oook)

>I reckon we should chuck out these wets from Trinity and Churchill and stage a
>CLARE takeover of afp...

>|> Vik.
>|> --

>--
>jim (also from Clare)

I think this is all getting too silly and nobody from Cambridge should post
anything at all unless it is totally irrelevant.

Owen.

osd...@hermes.cam.ac.uk | Real life: Caius College, Cambridge, CB2 1TA
Owen S. Dunn | "Wit is the lowest form of sarcasm..."

R.J. Kettlewell

Feb 21, 1994, 6:49:13 AM2/21/94
In article <osd1000.1...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> osd...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (O.S. Dunn) writes:
>_I_ never have had a bike because _I_ knew about the Reverse Gravity
>Phenomenon before I got here.

_You_ have never had a bike because you regard it as too plebian a form of
transport, Tory bastard! :)

>I think this is all getting too silly and nobody from Cambridge should post
>anything at all unless it is totally irrelevant.

Always willing to oblige...

GLOBAL ALERT FOR ALL --- CAMBRIDGE IS COMING SOON

The CUSFS drinks list, the UU scarf, the missing chapter and interminable
debate on roundabouts are signs that this newsgroups's history is coming to
a climax. The human race has trampled on Pterry's Constitution, as given in
Dark Side of the Sun 20:1-17 (King James Version), and Cambridge is coming
to polish it off. These rapidly accelerating signs are an indication that
the Wombles are coming soon (with a 1000 elephants!!!!!)

[...]

If you want to know what's about to happen, please study the books of
Rincewind and Carrot which are set in the Orang-Utan's world, the DW. They
are not sealed or closed books. They can and must be understood by all.
Every word in the from TCOM to UP is true. The Mappe and the Mappe only must
be your guide.

When Pterry's Law (the Constitution for the Universe) is consistently
ignored, disregarded, changed, and questioned, He permits certain events to
occur to wake us up. I would urge all, wherever you are and regardless of
the circumstances, to directly call on the creator and ask Him to intervene
in your life.

The creator, who created this disk and every living creature in it and on
it, was off sick that day, and is now in Heaven laughing at you. Pterry is
the only One who can rescue us from the slavery, misery, and flamewars DNA
is causing us.

[...]

Please note that when Pterry says the (7+1)th day, he means Octeth (the
(7+1)th day of the week) not Sunday (1st day of the week).

[...]

I also recommend that the following books be obtained and closely studied:

[everything Pterry's written, of course...]

Clarence L. Womble IV

(rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk)

H.R. Mills

Feb 21, 1994, 6:59:18 AM2/21/94
>From: osd...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (O.S. Dunn)
>Subject: Re: The Librarian
>Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 10:53:26 GMT

>In article <1994Feb20....@infodev.cam.ac.uk> jc1...@cus.cam.ac.uk (J.
>Cameron) writes:
>>From: jc1...@cus.cam.ac.uk (J. Cameron)
>>Subject: Re: The Librarian
>>Date: Sun, 20 Feb 1994 17:20:05 GMT

>own E-

>_I_ never have had a bike because _I_ knew about the Reverse Gravity
>Phenomenon before I got here.

I did have a bike, but I can't remember where I left it...

> ^^^^^^^
> Aaaaargggh! We're multiplying!

>djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk

>What plan? The bizarre plot to get afp threads relevant to their subject
>lines? (Oook)

What plan was this? We can't have that - destroying our most deeply-held
beliefs and traditions! It's just not on. No absolutely not. I mean, we'd
have to have threads called:

Re: Beer (was: Re: Terry)
Re: Cambridge takeover of the Net (was: Re: Beer)
Re: Assorted road traffic control plans (Was: Re: Cambridge...)
Re: Pronunciation of "What?" (was: Re: Assorted...)

>>I reckon we should chuck out these wets from Trinity and Churchill and stage
>>CLARE takeover of afp...

>>--
>>jim (also from Clare)

>I think this is all getting too silly and nobody from Cambridge should post
>anything at all unless it is totally irrelevant.

>Owen.

Are you implying that people from Cambridge should post *relevant* things?

> osd...@hermes.cam.ac.uk | Real life: Caius College, Cambridge, CB2 1TA

^^^^^
Shouldn't that be Cauis, or Keys, or Cairns, or Cains, or... ?

> Owen S. Dunn | "Wit is the lowest form of sarcasm..."

Hugo.

The Creature from the Black Logon hr...@hermes.cam.ac.uk
===== "Sesquippledan," he would say. "Sesquippledan Verboojuice." ====

Mark Thompson

Feb 21, 1994, 8:19:11 AM2/21/94
R.J. Kettlewell (rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk) wrote:

[Resonably amusing stuff-ectomy]

: If you want to know what's about to happen, please study the books of

: Rincewind and Carrot which are set in the Orang-Utan's world, the DW. They
: are not sealed or closed books. They can and must be understood by all.
: Every word in the from TCOM to UP is true. The Mappe and the Mappe only must
: be your guide.

Would it have been that much bother, seing as how you were going to
type all that stuff in anyway, to type out the extra (erm ...) 12 letters of
Unclear Physics as opposed to just "UP"? Especially since it hasn't even been
sent to the publishers yet!

I think that the extra effort required to type (for instance) "Good
Omens" as opposed to "GO" is well worth it when you take into account the
huge amount of head-scratching what-the-hell-does-that-mean-ing time saved
up and down this country (and even some others) by this simple process.

And besides, IAN. (Initialisations Are Naff).

Mark

Mark Thompson - ICL "Let's go to work..."

N.S. Munn

Feb 21, 1994, 8:51:20 AM2/21/94
In article <1994Feb20....@infodev.cam.ac.uk>, jc1...@cus.cam.ac.uk (J. Cameron) writes:
|> I reckon we should chuck out these wets from Trinity and Churchill and stage a
|> CLARE takeover of afp...

Not while I live and have an X-terminal before me!

Nick Munn
- Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge; small, friendly & darn good at flag football.

James H G Owen

Feb 21, 1994, 8:58:14 AM2/21/94
In article <1994Feb20.1...@infodev.cam.ac.uk> vkw...@cl.cam.ac.uk (V.K. Wilks) writes:
>In article <djsd100.11...@hermes.cam.ac.uk>, djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (D.J.S. Damerell) writes:
>|> In article <2ju8ts$i...@hippo.shef.ac.uk> el93...@silver.shef.ac.uk (T C Kennick) writes:

[stuff deleted]

>Agh! Traitor! Get him, folks - he is tryng to scupper our plan!
>
>One question b4 I go though - why exactly does someone in Sheffield want to
>borrow a bike off someone in Cambridge? Bit of a long way to ride, innit?
>Oh well. Whatever turns you on, as they say...
>
>Vik.
>--
>VICKY WILKS |
> | DISCLAIMER : I am a CompSci.
>Clare College |
>Cambridge | RECLAIMER : MINE! Give it back!
>CB2 1TL |
>ENGLAND | EXCLAIMER : WOW!

Yes, especially as they have their wonderful new Supertram system to ride on.

James

N.S. Munn

Feb 21, 1994, 12:35:17 PM2/21/94
I always knew Cambridge students had an ego problem, but really! If we were all
true expressions of Pterry's will, we'd be _much_ funnier.

As for the heretic who posted this: if you're so sure of this, why didn't you
post it to all the newsgroups you could find, huh? Do they not need to hear of
the Comic Messiah himself?

All of this will soon appear in a film, General Synod's "Life of Rincewind". This
MISSING CHAPTER of Rincewind's life on Disc, in which the true significance of
MUFFINS is revealed, in the ONLY WAY to get another casting thread running.
Knowing Rincewind, it'll be running very fast, and away. Only Pterry can give
this newsgroup ETERNAL LIFE, and while opinions vary as to which DW book is in
fact the GOOD BOOK, everyone on afp except the odd misguided nucleic acid fan
thinks some of Pterry's books are good.

There is no Terry but PTERRY, and Granny Weatherwax would be His prophet, were it
not for the fact that technically she'd be a prophetess, and would in any case
disapprove of being a prophet(ess) because people need to work things out for
themselves. [1]

Rise up and laugh!

Nick.

- All parodies are nearly as bizarre as the original.

[1] Like, where have all the footnotes gone, and who should play Magrat?

n.b. _I've_ always pronounced it MAGrat. Who wouldn't?

Ian Sharrock

Feb 21, 1994, 12:37:48 PM2/21/94
In article <1994Feb21.1...@black.ox.ac.uk>

jhg...@black.ox.ac.uk "James H G Owen" writes:

>In article <1994Feb20.1...@infodev.cam.ac.uk> vkw...@cl.cam.ac.uk
> (V.K. Wilks) writes:
> Kennick) writes:
>>|>
>[stuff deleted]
>

>>Agh! Traitor! Get him, folks - he is tryng to scupper our plan!
>>
>>One question b4 I go though - why exactly does someone in Sheffield want to
>>borrow a bike off someone in Cambridge? Bit of a long way to ride, innit?
>>Oh well. Whatever turns you on, as they say...
>>

>Yes, especially as they have their wonderful new Supertram system to ride on.

Wonderful? Sod off yer sarky bugger :-)

--
Ian Sharrock i...@bertie.demon.co.uk

#include <spew.h>
"Space Aliens from Watford landed in my garden and inserted 32 token ring
adapters into my cat." burbles deranged Sheffield pox-doctor.
-- IBM files suit claiming breach of copyright.

O.S. Dunn

Feb 21, 1994, 1:33:41 PM2/21/94
In article <1994Feb21....@infodev.cam.ac.uk> ns...@cus.cam.ac.uk (N.S. Munn) writes:
>From: ns...@cus.cam.ac.uk (N.S. Munn)
>Subject: Re: Global alert for all - Cambridge is coming soon!
>Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 17:35:17 GMT

>I always knew Cambridge students had an ego problem, but really! If we were all
>true expressions of Pterry's will, we'd be _much_ funnier.

Ego problem? I don't know about Richard "Womble" Kettlewell, but I have no
problem with my ego. I _know_ Cambridge is the centre of the universe.

Owen

Simon Cooke

Feb 21, 1994, 1:39:42 PM2/21/94
In article <1994Feb21.1...@black.ox.ac.uk> jhg...@black.ox.ac.uk (James H G Owen) writes:
>From: jhg...@black.ox.ac.uk (James H G Owen)
>Subject: Re: The Librarian
>Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 13:58:14 GMT

>In article <1994Feb20.1...@infodev.cam.ac.uk> vkw...@cl.cam.ac.uk
>(V.K. Wilks) writes:
>Kennick) writes:
>>|>
>[stuff deleted]

>>Agh! Traitor! Get him, folks - he is tryng to scupper our plan!
>>
>>One question b4 I go though - why exactly does someone in Sheffield want to
>>borrow a bike off someone in Cambridge? Bit of a long way to ride, innit?
>>Oh well. Whatever turns you on, as they say...

>Yes, especially as they have their wonderful new Supertram system to ride on.
> James

Now hang on a mo... if you mean the metrolink, you're thinking of
Manchester... you bast...

Simon Cooke
(Your Sinclair's Spec Tec Jr)

I'm a freelance journalist, author, programmer,juggler, magician,
general layabout (I study physics at Uni), and hopefully a nice guy.
Who could ask for anything more? (except for a shorter sig maybe?)
INET: C...@FS2.EE.UMIST.AC.UK JANET: C...@UK.AC.UMIST.EE.FS2

D.J.S. Damerell

Feb 21, 1994, 1:48:57 PM2/21/94

>>I always knew Cambridge students had an ego problem, but really! If we were all
>>true expressions of Pterry's will, we'd be _much_ funnier.

>Ego problem? I don't know about Richard "Womble" Kettlewell, but I have no
>problem with my ego. I _know_ Cambridge is the centre of the universe.

>Owen

> osd...@hermes.cam.ac.uk | Real life: Caius College, Cambridge, CB2 1TA
> Owen S. Dunn | "Wit is the lowest form of sarcasm..."

Bzzt! Wrong! Trinity College is the centre of the universe. We're not
arrrogant, King's is arrogant, we're just superior. :-)

David Damerell, Gorn Confederation Academy. djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk

Richard Kettlewell

Feb 21, 1994, 1:54:19 PM2/21/94
In article <1994Feb21....@infodev.cam.ac.uk> ns...@cus.cam.ac.uk (N.S. Munn) writes:
>I always knew Cambridge students had an ego problem, but really! If we were
>all true expressions of Pterry's will, we'd be _much_ funnier.

SWITCH FLAME

If I had an ego that big do you _really_ think I'd equate myself with Mr.
post-to-two-thousand-groups? I think perhaps you are missing the point.

And it wasn't me boasting about their xterm a few postings ago either. And
there _are_ non-humorous characters in Pterry's books.

So there.

SWITCH NOFLAME

:)

>As for the heretic who posted this: if you're so sure of this, why didn't you
>post it to all the newsgroups you could find, huh? Do they not need to hear of
>the Comic Messiah himself?

Yeah --- spend 10 minutes hacking out a low grade parody then the next three
days posting it...

Hmm. On the other hand, seeing as I've nothing better to do...

>There is no Terry but PTERRY, and Granny Weatherwax would be His prophet, were
>it
>not for the fact that technically she'd be a prophetess, and would in any case
>disapprove of being a prophet(ess) because people need to work things out for
>themselves. [1]

So. Is the new calender going to run from the date of Pterry's birth or from
his first publication?

]sigh[

Back to the drawing board...

Richard Kettlewell rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk

Richard Kettlewell

Feb 21, 1994, 8:51:20 PM2/21/94
In article <CLKt0...@oasis.icl.co.uk> m...@oasis.icl.co.uk (Mark Thompson) writes:
> Would it have been that much bother, seing as how you were going to
>type all that stuff in anyway, to type out the extra (erm ...) 12 letters of
>Unclear Physics as opposed to just "UP"? Especially since it hasn't even been
>sent to the publishers yet!

It probably wouldn't have been much bother at all. I abase myself in
grovelling apology, etc, etc, etc.

(I didn't type it all in, I just edited a copy of the original cross**2000-
posting. That's why some of it seems a bit confused...)

> I think that the extra effort required to type (for instance) "Good
>Omens" as opposed to "GO" is well worth it when you take into account the
>huge amount of head-scratching what-the-hell-does-that-mean-ing time saved
>up and down this country (and even some others) by this simple process.

> And besides, IAN. (Initialisations Are Naff).

I tend to abbreviate quite a lot of things, it comes of studying maths where
writing everything out in full would tend to lead to extremely verbose
lecture notes with minimal gain in comprehensibility.

For example, I'd usually write the above ``I'm a mathmo => I abbreviate a
lot.''

Richard Kettlewell rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk

Torsten Lif

Feb 22, 1994, 3:07:17 AM2/22/94
In article 000B...@hermes.cam.ac.uk, hr...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (H.R. Mills) writes:

>Are you implying that people from Cambridge should post *relevant* things?

No, that would imply that people from Cambridge *could* post relevant things...

---
Torsten Lif
Ericsson Telecom AB, EO/ETX/TX/AD
S-126 25 STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
Phone: +46 8 719 4881

Hugh Evans

Feb 22, 1994, 4:25:21 AM2/22/94
In article <rjk1002.1...@phx.cam.ac.uk>, rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk (R.J. Kettlewell) writes:

|> GLOBAL ALERT FOR ALL --- CAMBRIDGE IS COMING SOON

Aggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

SWIM FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Hugh Evans
European Space Research and Technology Centre - Noorwijk, Netherlands

"Stress is when the mind overrules the bodies to desire to knock the
shit out of some bastard for incompetence"

O.S. Dunn

Feb 22, 1994, 6:24:13 AM2/22/94
In article <CLKt0...@oasis.icl.co.uk> m...@oasis.icl.co.uk (Mark Thompson) writes:
>From: m...@oasis.icl.co.uk (Mark Thompson)
>Subject: Re: Global alert for all --- Cambridge is coming
>Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 13:19:11 GMT

>R.J. Kettlewell (rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk) wrote:

> [Resonably amusing stuff-ectomy]

>: If you want to know what's about to happen, please study the books of

>: Rincewind and Carrot which are set in the Orang-Utan's world, the DW. They
>: are not sealed or closed books. They can and must be understood by all.
>: Every word in the from TCOM to UP is true. The Mappe and the Mappe only must
>: be your guide.

> Would it have been that much bother, seing as how you were going to

>type all that stuff in anyway, to type out the extra (erm ...) 12 letters of
>Unclear Physics as opposed to just "UP"? Especially since it hasn't even been
>sent to the publishers yet!

Typing UP in full would also mean using the space bar :)

> I think that the extra effort required to type (for instance) "Good
>Omens" as opposed to "GO" is well worth it when you take into account the
>huge amount of head-scratching what-the-hell-does-that-mean-ing time saved
>up and down this country (and even some others) by this simple process.

Ah, but we in Cam.ac.uk are _so_ concerned re: pollution of the electronic
ether with excess ASCII that we abbrev. thgs IMHO v. effectively with
TLAs, FFLAs & RVSFLAs (3 Letter Acronyms, Frivolous 4 Letter
Acronyms, & Really Very Silly 5 Letter Acronyms). AFAIK there have been 0
complaints worth considering.

> And besides, IAN. (Initialisations Are Naff).

> Mark
>--

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Mark Thompson - ICL "Let's go to work..."

^^^
Oho! It's a TLA!

Owen

Richard Kettlewell

Feb 22, 1994, 11:29:27 AM2/22/94
>Typing UP in full would also mean using the space bar :)

Bizarrely, I have nothing against space bars.

>Ah, but we in Cam.ac.uk are _so_ concerned re: pollution of the electronic
>ether with excess ASCII that we abbrev. thgs IMHO v. effectively with
>TLAs, FFLAs & RVSFLAs (3 Letter Acronyms, Frivolous 4 Letter
>Acronyms, & Really Very Silly 5 Letter Acronyms). AFAIK there have been 0
>complaints worth considering.

Well, you might be concerned but I'm just lazy.

Anyway, I thought that the correct abbreviation for '4 letter abbreviation'
was ETLA. Which would make a five letter one a FETLA.

>Owen

Finished digesting the consequences yet, Owen? (We'll never let you forget
that...)

Richard Kettlewell rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk

Simon Cooke

Feb 22, 1994, 1:00:15 PM2/22/94
In article <RJK1002.5...@phx.cam.ac.uk> RJK...@phx.cam.ac.uk (Richard Kettlewell) writes:

>For example, I'd usually write the above ``I'm a mathmo => I abbreviate a
>lot.''

>Richard Kettlewell rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk

Doesn't that mean "I'm a mathmo tends to I abbreviate a lot?"

Erk?

Whiplash

Feb 22, 1994, 2:58:50 PM2/22/94
c...@fs2.ee.umist.ac.uk (Simon Cooke) writes:

>>For example, I'd usually write the above ``I'm a mathmo => I abbreviate a
>>lot.''

>Doesn't that mean "I'm a mathmo tends to I abbreviate a lot?"

You *could* read it as
"I'm a mathmo if and only if I abbreviate a lot"[1]

Which would make some sense *&)

Whippy

[1] The only thing that you are guaranteed as a CS student is that they
*will* find at least 4 different meanings for each symbol.[2]
[2] You know, I could get quite used to this footnotes thang *&)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
* \^/ |-| | |' |' \/ * "You must understand Tao before * o_, o *
* / * transcending structure." *<\__, v|> *
* whi...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk * The Tao of Programming * | < \ *
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Simon Cooke

Feb 22, 1994, 4:00:07 PM2/22/94
In article <1994Feb22.1...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk> whi...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk (Whiplash) writes:
>From: whi...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk (Whiplash)

>Subject: Re: Global alert for all --- Cambridge is coming
>Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 19:58:50 GMT

>c...@fs2.ee.umist.ac.uk (Simon Cooke) writes:

>>>For example, I'd usually write the above ``I'm a mathmo => I abbreviate a
>>>lot.''

>>Doesn't that mean "I'm a mathmo tends to I abbreviate a lot?"

>You *could* read it as
> "I'm a mathmo if and only if I abbreviate a lot"[1]

>Which would make some sense *&)

>Whippy

Hmmm... just thought... it should be "I'm a mathmo which implies that I
abbreviate a lot"

Oh well...

>[1] The only thing that you are guaranteed as a CS student is that they
> *will* find at least 4 different meanings for each symbol.[2]

>[2] You know, I could get quite used to this footnotes thang *&) [3]

[3] Me too

T C Kennick

Feb 22, 1994, 10:43:11 PM2/22/94
Two points 1) SuperTram is not running yet (and has turned the whole of sheffield into a set of road works)
and 2) there is only one thing more anoying than wandering off the thread and that is people over comenting on a reply so you get >>>> nests 57 layers deep

T.C.K...@Sheffield.ac.uk. Awibble

Andrew Ellam

Feb 23, 1994, 11:51:39 AM2/23/94
In article <2kejcf$g...@hippo.shef.ac.uk>,

el93...@silver.shef.ac.uk (T C Kennick) writes:
>Two points 1) SuperTram is not running yet (and has turned the whole of sheffield into a set of road works)
>and 2) there is only one thing more anoying than wandering off the thread and that is people over comenting on a reply so you get >>>> nests 57 layers deep

No, there's something more annoying than that.

Andy.

V.K. Wilks

Feb 23, 1994, 12:07:54 PM2/23/94

"Relevant Things".

Happy now? (you should be......)

Vik

D.J.S. Damerell

Feb 23, 1994, 1:16:22 PM2/23/94
In article <1994Feb23.1...@infodev.cam.ac.uk> vkw...@cl.cam.ac.uk (V.K. Wilks) writes:

>|> No, that would imply that people from Cambridge *could* post relevant things...
>|>

> "Relevant Things".

Traitor! Breaking the rules of the a.f.p. takeover by posting the 'R' word!
How dare you! (nice .sig, though. Give Rob Wilcox a wave sometime if U know
him...)

> Happy now? (you should be......)

>Vik
>--
>VICKY WILKS |
> | DISCLAIMER : I am a CompSci.
>Clare College |
>Cambridge | RECLAIMER : MINE! Give it back!
>CB2 1TL |
>ENGLAND | EXCLAIMER : WOW!

David Damerell, Gorn Confederation Academy. djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk

Chris Owen

Feb 23, 1994, 6:31:26 PM2/23/94
In article <djsd100.12...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (D.J.S. Damerell) writes:
>In article <osd1000.1...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> osd...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (O.S. Dunn) writes:
>
>>> I always knew Cambridge students had an ego problem, but really! If we were
>>>all true expressions of Pterry's will, we'd be _much_ funnier.
>
>>Ego problem? I don't know about Richard "Womble" Kettlewell, but I have no
>>problem with my ego. I _know_ Cambridge is the centre of the universe.
>
>Bzzt! Wrong! Trinity College is the centre of the universe. We're not
>arrrogant, King's is arrogant, we're just superior. :-)

Gerroff! It's just a pale shadow of the Only True Trinity College -
Trinity College, Oxford (holy horns!). We're the Original And Best (TM)
while you swamp-dwellers are just flogging an inferior imitation...

- Chris Owen, Trinity College (the one and only _real_ one)

Pete Biggs

Feb 24, 1994, 3:55:37 AM2/24/94
I was just going to let the denizens of fen bog poly fight it out
for a while. Then when they had exhausted themselves, the occupants of
the senior university could come in and pick up the pieces.

Anyway, Chirst Church is far superior to any of the minor places of
supposed learning mentioned so far :-)

Pete
Pete Biggs :{) Janet: pe...@uk.ac.ox.physchem
Internet: pe...@physchem.ox.ac.uk

Colm Buckley

Feb 24, 1994, 4:55:53 AM2/24/94
> == tr9...@black.ox.ac.uk (Chris Owen)
>> == djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (D.J.S. Damerell)

>>Bzzt! Wrong! Trinity College is the centre of the universe. We're not
>>arrrogant, King's is arrogant, we're just superior. :-)

> Gerroff! It's just a pale shadow of the Only True Trinity College -
>Trinity College, Oxford (holy horns!). We're the Original And Best (TM)
>while you swamp-dwellers are just flogging an inferior imitation...

Yer *both* wrong! The one and only Real True Honest-to-Goodness Trinity
College is Trinity College, Dublin. *AND* we don't have to share our
university with anyone else. (see http://www.tcd.ie/ for more details) Just
because we're only four hundred years old doesn't mean we're not the
Original and Best!

Now, why do all three royal universities have a Trinity College? Is this
one of the great Mysteries, or is there a perfectly mundane explanation?

Are there constituent colleges within the Unseen University, mewonders? I
can just see the annual Quirm College versus Hippo College tiddlywinks
match, at which all competitors and spectators must wear red bow-ties and
long, pointed shoes.

--
Colm Buckley Colm.B...@cs.tcd.ie
+-----------------------------------------+------------------------------+

P J Bleackley

Feb 24, 1994, 5:48:19 AM2/24/94
In article <osd1000.1...@hermes.cam.ac.uk>, osd...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (O.S. Dunn) writes:

|> Ego problem? I don't know about Richard "Womble" Kettlewell, but I have no
|> problem with my ego. I _know_ Cambridge is the centre of the universe.

By a simple geometical arguement, we find it is impossible for Cambridge to be
the centre of the Universe (It's too flat- the Ramtops are closer to the hub and
hence more magical than the Sto Plains).

Try Durham.

PETER J. BLEACKLEY

I ATEN'T DEAD

A G Jackson

Feb 24, 1994, 7:56:31 AM2/24/94

Following on logically from your argument, we discover that the Bailey colleges,
being lower down, cannot represent the centre of the Universe. So the centre of
the Universe is somewhere between Van Mildert and Mary's.

What a hideous thought.

| Adrian Jackson | a.g.j...@durham.ac.uk | 27 North Bailey, DURHAM |
| Vote YES for comp.sys.acorn.games... |
| ...you know it makes sense. |

Dave Shield

Feb 24, 1994, 8:16:47 AM2/24/94
In article <1994Feb24.0...@cs.tcd.ie>, cbuc...@cs.tcd.ie (Colm Buckley) writes:
> Now, why do all three royal universities have a Trinity College?
^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

Self evident, surely?

Dave
Dave Shield D.T.S...@compsci.liverpool.ac.uk
Dept. of Computer Science,
Liverpool University, "I _order_ you to help!
PO Box 147, You're a machine and you must do
Liverpool, L69 3BX what you're told." T. Pratchett, _Diggers_

Tom Wade, Systems

Feb 24, 1994, 6:49:45 PM2/24/94
In article <CLKt0...@oasis.icl.co.uk>, m...@oasis.icl.co.uk (Mark Thompson) writes:

> Would it have been that much bother, seing as how you were going to
> type all that stuff in anyway, to type out the extra (erm ...) 12 letters of
> Unclear Physics as opposed to just "UP"? Especially since it hasn't even been
> sent to the publishers yet!
>
> I think that the extra effort required to type (for instance) "Good
> Omens" as opposed to "GO" is well worth it when you take into account the
> huge amount of head-scratching what-the-hell-does-that-mean-ing time saved
> up and down this country (and even some others) by this simple process.

I also find this abbreviation extremely irritating. But you must remember
that the people who do this are probably Unix users, whose command interface
is designed solely to minimize the distance that fingers travel over a keyboard
when typing a command.

Tom Wade | Internet: T.W...@cc.ucd.ie (all domain mailers).
Speaker To VAXes | Bitnet: T_WADE@CCVAX
EuroKom | PSI-Mail: PSI%27243154000712::T.WADE
University College | DEC EASYnet: DECWRL::"t.w...@cc.ucd.ie" (VMS Mail)
Belfield | JANET: t.wade%ie.u...@UK.AC.EARN-RELAY
Dublin 4 | X400: [Address Exceeds 65536 byte buffer]
Ireland | Telex: (0500) 91178 UCD EI ("TO: WADE" at start)
--------------------+----------------------------------------------------------
Voice: +353-1-697890| Official Disclaimer: "This is not a disclaimer"
Fax: +353-1-838605|

M.D. Mackey

Feb 24, 1994, 12:18:31 PM2/24/94
In article <djsd100.13...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (D.J.S. Damerell) writes:
>In article <1994Feb23.1...@infodev.cam.ac.uk> vkw...@cl.cam.ac.uk (V.K. Wilks) writes:
>
>> "Relevant Things".
>
>Traitor! Breaking the rules of the a.f.p. takeover by posting the 'R' word!
>How dare you! (nice .sig, though. Give Rob Wilcox a wave sometime if U know
>him...)

And can find him, of course. The wisest move is probably to run as fast as
possible in the opposite direction instead. (Hi Rob! Hi Dave!)[1].
Mark.

Mark Mackey | "I detect an illogical sequence of events which
mdm...@cus.cam.ac.uk | included a violence" The hapless No. 3.

[1]. Q. What's more annoying than a Cambridge takeover of afp [2]?
A. Yes, you guessed it, a 'cliquey' Cambridge takeover of afp!
[2] Speaking as an expat (temporarily:) Aussie, I think the recent English
domination of this traditionally Australian newsgroup is disgusting.
Where's a Melbourne vs. Sydney thread when you need one?
[3] Obligatory silly footnote [3].

D.J.S. Damerell

Feb 24, 1994, 1:11:01 PM2/24/94
In article <1994Feb24....@infodev.cam.ac.uk> mdm...@cus.cam.ac.uk (M.D. Mackey) writes:

>In article <djsd100.13...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (D.J.S. Damerell) writes:
>>In article <1994Feb23.1...@infodev.cam.ac.uk> vkw...@cl.cam.ac.uk (V.K. Wilks) writes:
>>
>>> "Relevant Things".
>>
>>Traitor! Breaking the rules of the a.f.p. takeover by posting the 'R' word!
>>How dare you! (nice .sig, though. Give Rob Wilcox a wave sometime if U know
>>him...)
>>
>And can find him, of course. The wisest move is probably to run as fast as
>possible in the opposite direction instead. (Hi Rob! Hi Dave!)[1].
> Mark.

>Mark Mackey | "I detect an illogical sequence of events which
>mdm...@cus.cam.ac.uk | included a violence" The hapless No. 3.

>[1]. Q. What's more annoying than a Cambridge takeover of afp [2]?
> A. Yes, you guessed it, a 'cliquey' Cambridge takeover of afp!
>[2] Speaking as an expat (temporarily:) Aussie, I think the recent English

^^^^^^^

> domination of this traditionally Australian newsgroup is disgusting.
> Where's a Melbourne vs. Sydney thread when you need one?

ENGLISH! I've never been so insulted in the last 15 minutes or so! Never say
that again! :-(

David "Whose mother is from Edinburgh, dammit" Damerell

C.J Scarborough

Feb 24, 1994, 6:48:21 PM2/24/94
A G Jackson (A.G.J...@durham.ac.uk) wrote:

: |> |> Ego problem? I don't know about Richard "Womble" Kettlewell, but I

have no problem with my ego. I _know_ Cambridge is the centre of the
universe.

: |> By a simple geometical arguement, we find it is impossible for
Cambridge to be the centre of the Universe (It's too flat- the Ramtops are
closer to the hub and hence more magical than the Sto Plains).

: |> Try Durham.

: Following on logically from your argument, we discover that the Bailey
colleges, being lower down, cannot represent the centre of the Universe.
So the centre of the Universe is somewhere between Van Mildert and Mary's.

: What a hideous thought.

It's really much simpler than that. The exact centre of the universe
fluctuates in a small radius around Hatfield college, Durham, depending
on where I happen to be at the time.

Christian

--
Christian Scarborough - Co-Moderator, Fidonet Team OS/2 echo (2:250/127.9)
<Insert warlordable item of your choice here>

Charles H King

Feb 25, 1994, 6:01:36 AM2/25/94
In article <1994Feb24.1...@ccvax.ucd.ie>

t_w...@ccvax.ucd.ie "Tom Wade, Systems" writes:
>I also find this abbreviation extremely irritating. But you must remember
>that the people who do this are probably Unix users, whose command interface
>is designed solely to minimize the distance that fingers travel over a keyboard
>when typing a command.

AFAIK many of us R MS-DOS. UNIX is OK IMHO and ISTR most OS usrs
use abbrevs 2 make commds quicker.

BTW, just re-read G!G!.

ROTFL!

Chaz. :)
| -=< Charles H King >=- \ |
| \ Think Ahea|
|InterNet: Char...@prospect.demon.co.uk \ d|

R.J. Kettlewell

Feb 25, 1994, 6:53:16 AM2/25/94

No. Cambridge is the Mk II version of Oxfrod, with most of the errors ironed
out. The only significant problem remaining is Trinity College.

> - Chris Owen, Trinity College (the one and only _real_ one)

Real? REAL? What's reality got to do with it?

Richard Kettlewell rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk

Vivek Dasmohapatra

Feb 25, 1994, 6:42:04 AM2/25/94
In article <djsd100.12...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (D.J.S. Damerell) writes:
>From: djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (D.J.S. Damerell)
>Subject: Re: Global alert for all - Cambridge is coming soon!
>Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 18:48:57 GMT

>In article <osd1000.1...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> osd...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (O.S.
>Dunn) writes:

>>>I always knew Cambridge students had an ego problem, but really! If we were
>all
>>>true expressions of Pterry's will, we'd be _much_ funnier.

>>Ego problem? I don't know about Richard "Womble" Kettlewell, but I have no
>>problem with my ego. I _know_ Cambridge is the centre of the universe.

>>Owen
>> osd...@hermes.cam.ac.uk | Real life: Caius College, Cambridge, CB2 1TA
>> Owen S. Dunn | "Wit is the lowest form of sarcasm..."

>Bzzt! Wrong! Trinity College is the centre of the universe. We're not

>arrrogant, King's is arrogant, we're just superior. :-)

Oi! I resent that!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A G Jackson

Feb 25, 1994, 10:16:28 AM2/25/94
In article <2kl28b$o...@mercury.dur.ac.uk>, "P.K.N. Bowman" <P.K.N....@durham.ac.uk> writes:
|> C.J Scarborough (C.J.Sca...@durham.ac.uk) wrote:

|> : A G Jackson (A.G.J...@durham.ac.uk) wrote:
|>
|> : : |> |> Ego problem? I don't know about Richard "Womble" Kettlewell, but I
|> : have no problem with my ego. I _know_ Cambridge is the centre of the
|> : universe.
|>
|> : : |> By a simple geometical arguement, we find it is impossible for
|> : Cambridge to be the centre of the Universe (It's too flat- the Ramtops are
|> : closer to the hub and hence more magical than the Sto Plains).
|> :
|> : : |> Try Durham.
|>
|> : : Following on logically from your argument, we discover that the Bailey
|> : colleges, being lower down, cannot represent the centre of the Universe.
|> : So the centre of the Universe is somewhere between Van Mildert and Mary's.
|>
|> : : What a hideous thought.
|>
|> : It's really much simpler than that. The exact centre of the universe
|> : fluctuates in a small radius around Hatfield college, Durham, depending
|> : on where I happen to be at the time.
|>
|> : Christian
|>
|> Humm, well, for a small radius round Hatfield (sorry to the rest of the
|> World for this thread :-), I'd have to recommend that bit just up a hill,
|> Durham Castle as being the *obvious* centre of the universe. It's even
|> the right shape for an axis, and has a *much* better bar.

Oh, well if we're going by quality of bars, then the centre of the universe just
has to be right down the end of the Bailey, near Prebends bridge. And it's not a
college, either... :-)

Well, now that this group has been wrested from the evil claws of the
Cambridgers, we return you to your scheduled alt.fan.pratchetting...

Adrian

| Adrian Jackson | a.g.j...@durham.ac.uk | 27 North Bailey, DURHAM |

| - "It looks worse than you can imagine!" |
| - "I can imagine some pretty bad things!" |
| - "That's why I said *worse*!" |
| -- (Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures) |

Andrew Ellam

Feb 25, 1994, 11:22:49 AM2/25/94
mc...@cs.vu.nl (mcv) writes:
>Char...@prospect.demon.co.uk (Charles H King) writes:
>: In article <1994Feb24.1...@ccvax.ucd.ie>

>: t_w...@ccvax.ucd.ie "Tom Wade, Systems" writes:
>: >I also find this abbreviation extremely irritating. But you must remember
>: >that the people who do this are probably Unix users, whose command interface

>: AFAIK many of us R MS-DOS. UNIX is OK IMHO and ISTR most OS usrs
>
>Are most of us indeed dos-users? I wonder . .

Wouldn't say *most*. *Many*, possibly.

>I'm using unix, and several others I've seen here too. Maybe it's
>time we figured out which operating system most of us use.
>unix, dos, or Risc OS?

If anyone's bothered enough to do it.

Andy. (risc os)
--
"It's the Wrong Trousers, Gromit - And they've gone wrong!"

Colin MacDonald

Feb 25, 1994, 8:35:53 AM2/25/94
In article <CLs5G...@cs.vu.nl> mc...@cs.vu.nl (mcv) writes:
>From: mc...@cs.vu.nl (mcv)

>Subject: Re: Global alert for all --- Cambridge is coming
>Date: Fri, 25 Feb 1994 12:31:25 GMT

>Char...@prospect.demon.co.uk (Charles H King) writes:

>: In article <1994Feb24.1...@ccvax.ucd.ie>

>: t_w...@ccvax.ucd.ie "Tom Wade, Systems" writes:
>: >I also find this abbreviation extremely irritating. But you must remember
>: >that the people who do this are probably Unix users, whose command interface
>: >is designed solely to minimize the distance that fingers travel over a keyboard
>: >when typing a command.
>:
>: AFAIK many of us R MS-DOS. UNIX is OK IMHO and ISTR most OS usrs

>Are most of us indeed dos-users? I wonder . .

>I'm using unix, and several others I've seen here too. Maybe it's

>time we figured out which operating system most of us use.
>unix, dos, or Risc OS?

Who cares?

Colin

==========================================|=#===|=#===|=#===========
Colin MacDonald | # . | # . | #
Department of Clinical Neurosciences | # . | #
Edinburgh University | #

Markus Imhof

Feb 25, 1994, 11:01:23 AM2/25/94
In article <CLs5G...@cs.vu.nl>, mc...@cs.vu.nl (mcv) wrote:

> Are most of us indeed dos-users? I wonder . .
>
> I'm using unix, and several others I've seen here too. Maybe it's
> time we figured out which operating system most of us use.
> unix, dos, or Risc OS?
>

> Regards,
> mcv. <><

Ey, wait a second... If you start an OS war, don't you dare to forget
the best OS of all: APPLE SYSTEM 7 !!!

Markus Imhof (bd...@ibm3090.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de)

Vivek Dasmohapatra

Feb 25, 1994, 6:35:31 AM2/25/94
In article <csl.184....@fs2.ee.umist.ac.uk> c...@fs2.ee.umist.ac.uk (Simon Cooke) writes:
>From: c...@fs2.ee.umist.ac.uk (Simon Cooke)

>Subject: Re: Global alert for all --- Cambridge is coming
>Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 18:00:15 GMT

>Kettlewell) writes:

>>For example, I'd usually write the above ``I'm a mathmo => I abbreviate a
>>lot.''

>>Richard Kettlewell rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk

>Doesn't that mean "I'm a mathmo tends to I abbreviate a lot?"

>Erk?

>Simon Cooke
>(Your Sinclair's Spec Tec Jr)

No, it means that "I'm a mathmo IMPLIES I abbreviate a lot", and that I
abbreviate a lot is necessary but NOT sufficient to imply that I'm a mathmo."

Or something like that anway.

J A Smith

Feb 25, 1994, 9:54:06 AM2/25/94
In article <2kl28b$o...@mercury.dur.ac.uk>, "P.K.N. Bowman" <P.K.N....@durham.ac.uk> writes:
|> C.J Scarborough (C.J.Sca...@durham.ac.uk) wrote:
|> : A G Jackson (A.G.J...@durham.ac.uk) wrote:

|> : : |> Try Durham.

|> : : Following on logically from your argument, we discover that the Bailey
|> : colleges, being lower down, cannot represent the centre of the Universe.
|> : So the centre of the Universe is somewhere between Van Mildert and Mary's.
|>
|> : : What a hideous thought.
|>
|> : It's really much simpler than that. The exact centre of the universe
|> : fluctuates in a small radius around Hatfield college, Durham, depending
|> : on where I happen to be at the time.
|>
|> : Christian
|>

|> Humm, well, for a small radius round Hatfield (sorry to the rest of the
|> World for this thread :-), I'd have to recommend that bit just up a hill,
|> Durham Castle as being the *obvious* centre of the universe. It's even
|> the right shape for an axis, and has a *much* better bar.

WRONG AGAIN!!!!!
Try the Math's department

ObPratchett: FYI, everyone asking about PTerry sigs, I've uploaded one to tudelft,
it was taken from a quote I got Terry to sign for me when he was at the Cathedral
900 Lit-fest here in Durham sometime last year

James Smith

mcv

P.K.N. Bowman

Feb 25, 1994, 9:33:47 AM2/25/94
[...]

Phil Bowman =);-)>
p.k.n....@durham.ac.uk
PGP Public Keys available by fingering d1a...@vega.dur.ac.uk (slow!)

Is there anywhere on this planet I can get a decent cup of Tea?

M Wallis

Feb 25, 1994, 10:06:01 AM2/25/94
In article <CLs5G...@cs.vu.nl> mc...@cs.vu.nl (mcv) writes:
[deleted]

>:
>: AFAIK many of us R MS-DOS. UNIX is OK IMHO and ISTR most OS usrs
>
>Are most of us indeed dos-users? I wonder . .
>
>I'm using unix, and several others I've seen here too. Maybe it's
>time we figured out which operating system most of us use.
>unix, dos, or Risc OS?
>

>Regards,
>mcv. <><

Well, ATM I have a Novell account, a PC at home, a SunOs account, and a
confocal microscope running OS9.
Oh, and an IRIX account for graphical work.
And I forgot the Apple Macintosh I use as a Pen recorder...
Therefore, I use DOS, NetWare, SunOs, IRIX, OSK, and MacOs.
Sad innit....
Mi...@work.again.

| "The next person to ask about my girlfriend gets their genitals removed."|

John Elliott

Feb 25, 1994, 1:45:43 PM2/25/94
mcv (mc...@cs.vu.nl) wrote:
[CUT][PARA][CUT]

: Are most of us indeed dos-users? I wonder . .

: I'm using unix, and several others I've seen here too. Maybe it's
: time we figured out which operating system most of us use.
: unix, dos, or Risc OS?

: Regards,
: mcv. <><

CP/M Plus and +3DOS. If you want to compare rates of typing, think of PIP
instead of COPY...

John Elliott |BLOODNOK: "Why have you got such a long face, Seagoon?"
m93...@ecs.ox.ac.uk |SEAGOON: "Heavy dentures, Sir!" -The Goon Show
:--------------------------------------------------------------------------)

Simon E Spero

Feb 25, 1994, 8:17:21 PM2/25/94
Would our friends from the Fenland community colleges kindly
restrain themselves. Any college where you can't set up a snipers nest and
bag a few Iraqi diplomats is a long way from geocentricity.

--
Hackers Local 42- National Union of Computer Operatives, Chapel Hill section
Tar Heel Information Services - Nothing but net! | WAIS/Z39.50 spoken here

Colm Buckley

Feb 26, 1994, 8:07:35 AM2/26/94
mc...@cs.vu.nl (mcv) writes:

>I'm using unix, and several others I've seen here too. Maybe it's
>time we figured out which operating system most of us use.
>unix, dos, or Risc OS?

Tell yez what. Mail me with your preferences - I'll tally 'em up and post
the results; even with the extremes of tolerance seen on this group, I
don't think a couple of hundred "well, I use UNIX" messages are going to
be very interesting.

Include a URL for your home web pages, if you have any - a list of those
might be interesting.

--
Colm Buckley Colm.B...@cs.tcd.ie
<A HREF="http://vangogh.cs.tcd.ie/cbuckley/cbuckley.html">WWW Home Page</A>

| Image Synthesis Group, | "My program doesn't work." |
| Department of Computer Science, | "You forgot the semicolon." |
| Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland. | "But..." |
| Phone : +353 1 702 1436 | "Line 376. Check." |

+------------------------------------------+ "But..." |

| All the usual disclaimers apply. | "Trust me." |

+------------------------------------------+------------------------------+

J. Cameron

Feb 26, 1994, 8:24:10 AM2/26/94
In article <1994Feb24.0...@physchem.ox.ac.uk>, pe...@physchem.ox.ac.uk (Pete Biggs) writes:

|> > Gerroff! It's just a pale shadow of the Only True Trinity College -
|> > Trinity College, Oxford (holy horns!). We're the Original And Best (TM)
|> > while you swamp-dwellers are just flogging an inferior imitation...
|> >
|> I was just going to let the denizens of fen bog poly fight it out
|> for a while. Then when they had exhausted themselves, the occupants of
|> the senior university could come in and pick up the pieces.
|>
|> Anyway, Chirst Church is far superior to any of the minor places of
|> supposed learning mentioned so far :-)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! Invaded by the Other Place! Quick lads and Viks! Squash'em!
Oxturd must be STAMPED OUT!

--
jim

jc1...@phx.cam.ac.uk
jc1...@hermes.cam.ac.uk
jc1...@cus.cam.ac.uk

Emily Lawson

Feb 26, 1994, 5:32:44 PM2/26/94
> In article <osd1000.1...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> osd...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (O.S. Dunn) writes:
>
> >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > osd...@hermes.cam.ac.uk | Real life: Caius College, Cambridge, CB2 1TA
> > Owen S. Dunn | "Wit is the lowest form of sarcasm..."
> >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terry is our god of humour, but Professor ap Rees is god of Directors of
Study - right Owen?

Emily Lawson (Caius 86-89)

Paul Bolchover

Feb 26, 1994, 8:15:00 PM2/26/94
In article <1994Feb24.0...@physchem.ox.ac.uk> pe...@physchem.ox.ac.uk (Pete Biggs) writes:
>From: pe...@physchem.ox.ac.uk (Pete Biggs)

>Subject: Re: Global alert for all - Cambridge is coming soon!
>Date: Thu, 24 Feb 1994 08:55:37 GMT

>In article <1994Feb23.2...@black.ox.ac.uk>, tr9...@black.ox.ac.uk (Chris Owen) writes:

>> >Bzzt! Wrong! Trinity College is the centre of the universe. We're not
>> >arrrogant, King's is arrogant, we're just superior. :-)
>>
>> Gerroff! It's just a pale shadow of the Only True Trinity College -
>> Trinity College, Oxford (holy horns!). We're the Original And Best (TM)
>> while you swamp-dwellers are just flogging an inferior imitation...
>>
>I was just going to let the denizens of fen bog poly fight it out
>for a while. Then when they had exhausted themselves, the occupants of
>the senior university could come in and pick up the pieces.

>Anyway, Chirst Church is far superior to any of the minor places of
>supposed learning mentioned so far :-)

How dare you compare Trinity (Cambridge, of course) with such minor centres of
learning as Trinity B (Oxford), or Christchurch. Excellence is proportional to
size (of number of students, and of courts)

>Pete
>--
>=============================================================================
>Pete Biggs :{) Janet: pe...@uk.ac.ox.physchem
> Internet: pe...@physchem.ox.ac.uk
>=============================================================================

Paul

Daniel Barlow

Feb 27, 1994, 3:13:39 AM2/27/94

Tom Wade, Systems <t_w...@ccvax.ucd.ie> wrote:
>I also find this abbreviation extremely irritating. But you must remember
>that the people who do this are probably Unix users, whose command interface
>is designed solely to minimize the distance that fingers travel over a keyboard
>when typing a command.

Nope, doesn't follow. Abbreviations designed by unix users will all
be in lower case...

--
Daniel...@sjc.ox.ac.uk dba...@teaching.physics.ox.ac.uk
"He'd never wanted much, except perhaps to be left alone and not woken up

J.I.F. Larmour

Feb 27, 1994, 5:14:37 AM2/27/94
HAHA! But Clare College, Cambridge produces its trump card.... ME! No longer will
afp be populated be people who don't know the back of a punt from the front.
Instead I shall hack every usenet server in the world and start my domination.
Moving from afp to alt.sex.pastrami to even the notorious "test" newsgroup. It
will be mine, all mine. Hehehehehehehehehehehe *evil cackle*!! I shall smash the
evil oiks - possibly at university challenge (coming back soon at an antenna
near you!).

AARGH! SPLAT! WIBBLE-IBBLE-IBBLE-IBBLE!!!!!!!!!

Ahem! Don't quite know what came over me, must be that green Cam water I drank
earlier. I just wanted to prove to you, and warn you that REINFORCEMENTS ARE
GATHERING!!!!!!!!

__________ ______ ^ ^
____/ | | | Cambridge,
| | England.
_______ ______
Email: JIF...@uk.ac.cam.phx (JANET)
\________/ or JIF...@phx.cam.ac.uk (I'net)
And verily I say unto you....... wibble.

Andrew Ellam

Feb 27, 1994, 5:53:29 AM2/27/94
jif...@cl.cam.ac.uk (J.I.F. Larmour) writes:
>Ahem! Don't quite know what came over me, must be that green Cam water I drank
>earlier. I just wanted to prove to you, and warn you that REINFORCEMENTS ARE
>GATHERING!!!!!!!!

Bash them over the head with your .sig, that's what I say. :-)

>--
>__________ ______ ^ ^
> | | o o
> | _______ |___ Jonathan Larmour
>____/ | | | Cambridge,
> | | England.
> _______ ______
> Email: JIF...@uk.ac.cam.phx (JANET)
> \________/ or JIF...@phx.cam.ac.uk (I'net)
>And verily I say unto you....... wibble.

Andy.

The Nuclear Ninja Gerbil

Feb 27, 1994, 1:16:27 PM2/27/94

Aye, laddie! Whi don' ye break oot the Glenlivet an' email me a wee dram,
the blood o' the highlands flows in ma veins yet...
An' chop the wee winkles off the Sassenachs while we're at it!

I don't believe in unecessary violence, honest. - Dis-claymore
Dan Stock, Trinity College, | #### "The bird flies - rssss!
Oxford OX1 3BH, England. | @ 00 @ The fish swims - vssss!
WATCH THIS SPACE, IT MIGHT | \__/ The fungi-squirrel run - gsrsss!
JUST DO SOMETHING CLEVER | ww The wheel turns, and all is One." -TP

Douglas Reay

Feb 27, 1994, 2:28:42 PM2/27/94

Nyah ha ha haaa. Dominion is mine, sayeth the GM, for I shall be running
this year's Oxford-Cambridge role playing varsity match, and it shall be
set on the Disc. Allegations of chosing a senario that will favour the
Pratchett-phile denisens of Cambridge shall be treated with appropriate
peals of laughter - I have been informed that Oxford role players have
no sense of humour. Bribes should be sent in mixed denomination notes.

PS We are better at punting too. 8-)

Melanie Dymond Harper

Feb 27, 1994, 3:54:04 PM2/27/94
In article <1994Feb27....@random.ccs.northeastern.edu>
pall...@ccs.neu.edu "Douglas Reay" writes:

Well, Oxford trashed Cambridge in 1988 -- and senses of humour abound,
who is spreading false rumours?

> PS We are better at punting too. 8-)

Nooooo comment.

Mel (captain of above-mentioned 1988 Oxford team)
--
Melanie Dymond Harper work: tcs...@aie.lreg.co.uk
home: m...@servalan.demon.co.uk

"I think this calls for a nice cup of, a nice cup of cold water."

Robert E Arthur

Feb 27, 1994, 6:49:03 PM2/27/94
Whiplash <whi...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk> wrote:

>c...@fs2.ee.umist.ac.uk (Simon Cooke) writes:
>
>>>For example, I'd usually write the above ``I'm a mathmo => I abbreviate a
>>>lot.''
>
>>Doesn't that mean "I'm a mathmo tends to I abbreviate a lot?"

Nope, -> means "tends to", => means "implies"

>You *could* read it as
> "I'm a mathmo if and only if I abbreviate a lot"[1]
>
>Which would make some sense *&)

Nope again, cos a) that's more logic than maths and b) it is written <->.

=> definitely means "implies" and the closest to iff is <=> which means
"implies and is implied by".

Of course, most symbols mean more than one thing - any mathematicians want to
tell me what |X| means?

Byeeeeee,
Bob.

P.S. "Implies" can also be read as "which implies", but it leads to the
same thing.

P.P.S. I'm a mathematician, and have *never* used the word "Mathmo".

P.P.P.S. I also study compsci!

P.P.P.P.S. And do theory of Postscripts in my spare time 8^)

Hugh Evans

Feb 28, 1994, 5:32:17 AM2/28/94
In article <2km7v1$9...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu>, s...@tipper.oit.unc.edu (Simon E Spero) writes:

|>Would our friends from the Fenland community colleges kindly
|>restrain themselves. Any college where you can't set up a snipers nest and
|>bag a few Iraqi diplomats is a long way from geocentricity.

Indeed. Long live LIMP [*] !

[*] For those uninitiated: London Imperial, where the best view of the
SAS storming of the Iranian Embassy was. Also, conveniently sandwiched
between the Iranian and Iraqi embassies.

--
Hugh Evans
European Space Research and Technology Centre - Noorwijk, Netherlands
Internet: hev...@wm.estec.esa.nl SPAN: ESTWM2::hevans

There's a door
Where does it go ?
It stays where it is, I think,
(Terry Pratchett, Eric)

Hugh Evans

Feb 28, 1994, 5:44:36 AM2/28/94
In article <1994Feb27.0...@inca.comlab.ox.ac.uk>, Daniel...@sjc.oxford.ac.uk (Daniel Barlow) writes:
|>In article <1994Feb24.1...@ccvax.ucd.ie>,
|>Tom Wade, Systems <t_w...@ccvax.ucd.ie> wrote:
|>>I also find this abbreviation extremely irritating. But you must remember
|>>that the people who do this are probably Unix users, whose command interface
|>>is designed solely to minimize the distance that fingers travel over a keyboard
|>>when typing a command.
|>
|>Nope, doesn't follow. Abbreviations designed by unix users will all
|>be in lower case...

Which implies that DEATH, uses DOS (Dead Operating System) not Unix.

Just a little attempt to make this thread relevant to the group.

--
Hugh Evans
European Space Research and Technology Centre - Noorwijk, Netherlands
Internet: hev...@wm.estec.esa.nl SPAN: ESTWM2::hevans

But the point is ... the point is ... the point is we've not been experienced
for a lot longer than you. (Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad)

Nathan James Phillips

Feb 28, 1994, 6:14:47 AM2/28/94
[....]

>|>Nope, doesn't follow. Abbreviations designed by unix users will all
>|>be in lower case...
>|>

>Which implies that DEATH, uses DOS (Dead Operating System) not Unix.
>
>Just a little attempt to make this thread relevant to the group.

Oh dear - when will these people learn?
Why should this thread be any different to the others?
What has it done to deserve being forced to discuss Pterry and the like (and in
this group of all places)[1]

Nathan P.

.no sig (again)

>--
>Hugh Evans
>European Space Research and Technology Centre - Noorwijk, Netherlands
>Internet: hev...@wm.estec.esa.nl SPAN: ESTWM2::hevans
>
>But the point is ... the point is ... the point is we've not been experienced
> for a lot longer than you. (Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad)

[1] Sorry, but I'm getting nostalgic for the footnotes so I thought I'd see how
this one fits here? Nicely placed don't you think?

H.R. Mills

Feb 28, 1994, 6:23:22 AM2/28/94
In article <1994Feb2...@estwm0.wm.estec.esa.nl> hev...@estwm0.wm.estec.esa.nl (Hugh Evans) writes:
>From: hev...@estwm0.wm.estec.esa.nl (Hugh Evans)

>Subject: Re: Global alert for all --- Cambridge is coming
>Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 09:25:21 GMT

>In article <rjk1002.1...@phx.cam.ac.uk>, rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk (R.J.
>Kettlewell) writes:

>|> GLOBAL ALERT FOR ALL --- CAMBRIDGE IS COMING SOON

> Aggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

> SWIM FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!

What, in the Cam? Not bloody likely.

Hugo.

The Creature from the Black Logon hr...@hermes.cam.ac.uk
In the event of the Last Trump, form an orderly queue and await judgment

J...@ib.rl.ac.uk

Feb 28, 1994, 11:38:51 AM2/28/94
In article <2kjec5$n...@mercury.dur.ac.uk>

"C.J Scarborough" <C.J.Sca...@durham.ac.uk> writes:

>A G Jackson (A.G.J...@durham.ac.uk) wrote:
>
>: |> |> Ego problem? I don't know about Richard "Womble" Kettlewell, but I

>have no problem with my ego. I _know_ Cambridge is the centre of the
>universe.
>
>: |> By a simple geometical arguement, we find it is impossible for
>Cambridge to be the centre of the Universe (It's too flat- the Ramtops are
>closer to the hub and hence more magical than the Sto Plains).
>
>: |> Try Durham.

So if the centre of the universe is the Ramtops the geographical
equivelant here is Bath university which is the highest above sea level
in the country :-)

Jason Blight (an exiled BU student)

J...@ib.rl.ac.uk

Feb 28, 1994, 11:46:07 AM2/28/94
I'd just like to add that the most magical place in the country is
the Beehive in Bath, but I think that has a lot to do with the cheap
scrumpy and not it's height above sea level.

Jason Blight (Still an exiled Bath University Student)

R.J. Kettlewell

Feb 28, 1994, 8:35:38 AM2/28/94
In article <2krbhf$1...@calvin.st-and.ac.uk> r...@st-andrews.ac.uk (Robert E

Arthur) writes:
>In article <1994Feb22.1...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk>,
>Whiplash <whi...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk> wrote:

>>You *could* read it as
>> "I'm a mathmo if and only if I abbreviate a lot"[1]
>>
>>Which would make some sense *&)

>Nope again, cos a) that's more logic than maths and b) it is written <->.

>=> definitely means "implies" and the closest to iff is <=> which means
>"implies and is implied by".

``implies and is implied by'' has exactly the same meaning as ``if and only
if'', and ``iff'' and ``<=>'' are therefore interchangable. Maths involves
quite a lot of logic, that's why we know (believe) it's correct.
(SWITCH NOKURTGOEDEL.)

>Of course, most symbols mean more than one thing - any mathematicians want to
>tell me what |X| means?

|x| = `absolute value' or `modulus' of x. If x is real, then you find |x| by
throwing away any minus sign it may have; if it's a complex number it's the
magnitude i.e. |x+iy| = (x^2+y^2)^0.5 (in fact this definition works for
real numbers too, but it's unnecessarily complicated.)

We also sometimes talk about ||x|| (pronounced `norm of x') which is similar
in intent but different in the details, and you really don't want to know
about it.

>Byeeeeee,
> Bob.

>P.S. "Implies" can also be read as "which implies", but it leads to
the
>same thing.

We also have `<=' meaning `is implied by'.

>P.P.S. I'm a mathematician, and have *never* used the word "Mathmo".

It's probably Cambridge specific.

>P.P.P.S. I also study compsci!

>P.P.P.P.S. And do theory of Postscripts in my spare time 8^)

Richard Kettlewell rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk

Robert E Arthur

Feb 28, 1994, 8:19:02 PM2/28/94
In article <rjk1002.2...@phx.cam.ac.uk>,

R.J. Kettlewell <rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>=> definitely means "implies" and the closest to iff is <=> which means
>>"implies and is implied by".
>
>``implies and is implied by'' has exactly the same meaning as ``if and only
>if'', and ``iff'' and ``<=>'' are therefore interchangable

Yeah, I sorta realised that about 10 seconds after posting :-)

>>Of course, most symbols mean more than one thing - any mathematicians want to
>>tell me what |X| means?
>
>|x| = `absolute value' or `modulus' of x. If x is real, then you find |x| by
>throwing away any minus sign it may have; if it's a complex number it's the
>magnitude i.e. |x+iy| = (x^2+y^2)^0.5

Or determinant of a matrix, or cardinality of a set, or magnitude of a vector
(Actually, it must be said that most of these are really the same thing -
the magnitude of a real *is* the absolute value - vectors and complex numbers
are very similar - and the determinant of a matrix can often be thought of as
a magnitude - however, most of them require a different calculation). I have
the feeling there's another, really wild definition, but it temporarily escapes
me.

>>P.P.S. I'm a mathematician, and have *never* used the word "Mathmo".
>
>It's probably Cambridge specific.

So long as it stays that way.......
;-)

Byeeeeee,
Bob.

Gareth D Layzell

Mar 1, 1994, 4:52:20 AM3/1/94
>Just a little attempt to make this thread relevant to the group.
>--
>Hugh Evans

Aaaaaarrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh
He mentioned the R-word!!!! :-)

Gareth.

Dave Bell

Mar 1, 1994, 1:18:00 PM3/1/94
-=> Quoting Colin Macdonald to All <=-

>I'm using unix, and several others I've seen here too. Maybe it's
>time we figured out which operating system most of us use.
>unix, dos, or Risc OS?

CM> Who cares?

Well, there's no way I'd be a hedgehog if I know.

What I have noticed is that a lot of Internet guides assume that you use
UNIX or a close facsimile thereof.

MS-DOS users guide to the Internet.

1: Install UNIX

2: Buy any other guide to the Internet.

dave...@evaware.org

... Math and alcohol don't mix. Don't drink and derive.
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11

----
|EvaWare BBS, Home of Orator QWK reader for Windows, Sysop:Nick Dyer|
| Tel 44-507-608645. V32/V32Bis V42/V42Bis HST Fidonet (2:252/158) |

Richard Kettlewell

Mar 1, 1994, 2:14:58 PM3/1/94
In article <2ku566$m...@calvin.st-and.ac.uk> r...@st-andrews.ac.uk
(Robert E Arthur) writes:
>Or determinant of a matrix, or cardinality of a set, or magnitude of a
>vector

Yes, but these are not universal, whereas the uses I suggested are (or much
more so, anyway.)

>(Actually, it must be said that most of these are really the same thing -
>the magnitude of a real *is* the absolute value - vectors and complex numbers
>are very similar - and the determinant of a matrix can often be thought of as
>a magnitude - however, most of them require a different calculation). I have

You can think of the determinant of a matrix as a magnitude if you want, but
there are several really good reasons why you shouldn't.

>the feeling there's another, really wild definition, but it temporarily
>escapes me.

Richard Kettlewell rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk

V. Dasmohapatra

Mar 1, 1994, 9:10:15 AM3/1/94
In article <hrm11.73...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> hr...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (H.R. Mills) writes:
>From: hr...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (H.R. Mills)

>Subject: Re: Global alert for all --- Cambridge is coming
>Date: Mon, 28 Feb 1994 11:23:22 GMT

>In article <1994Feb2...@estwm0.wm.estec.esa.nl>
>hev...@estwm0.wm.estec.esa.nl (Hugh Evans) writes:
>>From: hev...@estwm0.wm.estec.esa.nl (Hugh Evans)
>>Subject: Re: Global alert for all --- Cambridge is coming
>>Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 09:25:21 GMT

>> Aggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

>> SWIM FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!

> What, in the Cam? Not bloody likely.

> Hugo.

You're right there. Although you could probably dissolve in it quite well.
| |
| "FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC" Vivek Dasmohapatra |
| King's College |
| Cambridge |
| "TO PROTECT AND SERVE" |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

V. Dasmohapatra

Mar 1, 1994, 9:18:19 AM3/1/94
In article <pb10003.1...@phx.cam.ac.uk> pb1...@phx.cam.ac.uk (Paul Bolchover) writes:
>From: pb1...@phx.cam.ac.uk (Paul Bolchover)

>Subject: Re: Global alert for all - Cambridge is coming soon!
>Date: Sun, 27 Feb 1994 01:15:00 GMT

>In article <1994Feb24.0...@physchem.ox.ac.uk> pe...@physchem.ox.ac.uk
>(Pete Biggs) writes:
>>From: pe...@physchem.ox.ac.uk (Pete Biggs)
>>Subject: Re: Global alert for all - Cambridge is coming soon!
>>Date: Thu, 24 Feb 1994 08:55:37 GMT

>>In article <1994Feb23.2...@black.ox.ac.uk>, tr9...@black.ox.ac.uk
>(Chris Owen) writes:

>were

>no

>>> Gerroff! It's just a pale shadow of the Only True Trinity College -
>>> Trinity College, Oxford (holy horns!). We're the Original And Best (TM)
>>> while you swamp-dwellers are just flogging an inferior imitation...
>>>
>>I was just going to let the denizens of fen bog poly fight it out
>>for a while. Then when they had exhausted themselves, the occupants of
>>the senior university could come in and pick up the pieces.

>>Anyway, Chirst Church is far superior to any of the minor places of
>>supposed learning mentioned so far :-)

>How dare you compare Trinity (Cambridge, of course) with such minor centres of
>learning as Trinity B (Oxford), or Christchurch. Excellence is proportional to
>size (of number of students, and of courts)

>>Pete
>>--
>>=============================================================================
>>Pete Biggs :{) Janet: pe...@uk.ac.ox.physchem
>> Internet: pe...@physchem.ox.ac.uk
>>=============================================================================

> Paul

No it isn't. Excellence is proportional to the {King's College, Cambridge}
factor.

NCKU E.E. guy

Mar 2, 1994, 3:59:13 AM3/2/94
In article <RJK1002.5...@phx.cam.ac.uk> RJK...@phx.cam.ac.uk (Richard Kettlewell) writes:
>From: RJK...@phx.cam.ac.uk (Richard Kettlewell)

>Subject: Re: Global alert for all --- Cambridge is coming
>Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 16:29:27 GMT

>In article <osd1000.1...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> osd...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (O.S. Dunn) writes:
>>Typing UP in full would also mean using the space bar :)
>
>Bizarrely, I have nothing against space bars.
>
>>Ah, but we in Cam.ac.uk are _so_ concerned re: pollution of the electronic
>>ether with excess ASCII that we abbrev. thgs IMHO v. effectively with
>>TLAs, FFLAs & RVSFLAs (3 Letter Acronyms, Frivolous 4 Letter
>>Acronyms, & Really Very Silly 5 Letter Acronyms). AFAIK there have been 0
>>complaints worth considering.
>
>Well, you might be concerned but I'm just lazy.
>
>Anyway, I thought that the correct abbreviation for '4 letter abbreviation'
>was ETLA. Which would make a five letter one a FETLA.
>
>>Owen
>
>Finished digesting the consequences yet, Owen? (We'll never let you forget
>that...)
>
>Richard Kettlewell rjk...@phx.cam.ac.uk
Email: ke...@mail.ncku.edu.tw

Maurice Walshe

Mar 2, 1994, 10:54:42 AM3/2/94
In article <wiseguy.28...@cc.ee.ncku.edu.tw> wis...@cc.ee.ncku.edu.tw (NCKU E.E. guy) writes:

>In article <RJK1002.5...@phx.cam.ac.uk> RJK...@phx.cam.ac.uk (Richard Kettlewell) writes:
>>From: RJK...@phx.cam.ac.uk (Richard Kettlewell)
>>Subject: Re: Global alert for all --- Cambridge is coming
>>Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 16:29:27 GMT
>>In article <osd1000.1...@hermes.cam.ac.uk> osd...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (O.S. Dunn) writes:
>>>Typing UP in full would also mean using the space bar :)
>>
>>Bizarrely, I have nothing against space bars.
>>
>>>Ah, but we in Cam.ac.uk are _so_ concerned re: pollution of the electronic
>>>ether with excess ASCII that we abbrev. thgs IMHO v. effectively with
>>>TLAs, FFLAs & RVSFLAs (3 Letter Acronyms, Frivolous 4 Letter
>>>Acronyms, & Really Very Silly 5 Letter Acronyms). AFAIK there have been 0
>>>complaints worth considering.
>>
>>Well, you might be concerned but I'm just lazy.
>>
>>Anyway, I thought that the correct abbreviation for '4 letter abbreviation'
>>was ETLA. Which would make a five letter one a FETLA.

or... from the jargon guide

TLA

/T-L-A/ [Three-Letter Acronym] n. 1. Self-describing
abbreviation for a species with which computing terminology is
infested. 2. Any confusing acronym. Examples include MCA, FTP,
SNA, CPU, MMU, SCCS, DMU, FPU, NNTP, TLA. People who like this
looser usage argue that not all TLAs have three letters, just as
not all four-letter words have four letters. One also hears of
`ETLA' (Extended Three-Letter Acronym, pronounced /ee tee el
ay/) being used to describe four-letter acronyms. The term
`SFLA' (Stupid Four-Letter Acronym) has also been reported. See
also YABA.

The self-effacing phrase "TDM TLA" (Too Damn Many...) is

often used to bemoan the plethora of TLAs in use. In 1989, a
random of the journalistic persuasion asked hacker Paul Boutin
"What do you think will be the biggest problem in computing in
the 90s?" Paul's straight-faced response: "There are only
17,000 three-letter acronyms." (To be exact, there are 26^3
= 17,576.)

From Jargon 2.9.12 - WinHelp version (by GBS).

I wont even mention the 'scratch monkey' oops ape

rgds maurice

|Maurice Walshe You'll Never Get to heaven with an Ak47, | | But a Zu23's good for low flying Cherubim|
| But A Zu 23's good for low flying Cherubim |
|Software Engineer |
|c=gb/admd=bt/o=hti(highly technical individuals)/pn=maurice walshe |
| ** This post contains no lemurs ** |
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A G Jackson

Mar 2, 1994, 1:41:33 PM3/2/94
In article <mjwalshe.2...@tymnet.bt.co.uk>, mjwa...@tymnet.bt.co.uk (Maurice Walshe) writes:
> [...]
^^^^^^^^^ That's cam.ac.uk - Cam doesn't get a capital letter
unless UK gets two.

Well, working for IBM (where better to learn of TLA's?) I was taught to use TLA
(Three Letter Acronym), ETLA (Extended Three Letter Acronym), DETLA (Double
Extended Three Letter Acronym) and TTETLA (Three Times Extended Three Letter
Acronym). Beyond that it gets silly, and there are a ridiculous number of
possibilities.

|> or... from the jargon guide
|>
|> TLA

[definition deleted]

If you're into this sort of thing you could head on over to alt.tla (Yes, it
exists) and join the battle between the acronymists and the palindromists, who
are always fighting over possession of the group...

Adrian

| Adrian Jackson | a.g.j...@durham.ac.uk | 27 North Bailey, DURHAM |
| Vote YES for comp.sys.acorn.games... |
| ...you know it makes sense. |

Pete Biggs

Mar 3, 1994, 4:23:12 AM3/3/94

> >> Gerroff! It's just a pale shadow of the Only True Trinity College -
> >> Trinity College, Oxford (holy horns!). We're the Original And Best (TM)
> >> while you swamp-dwellers are just flogging an inferior imitation...
> >>
> >I was just going to let the denizens of fen bog poly fight it out
> >for a while. Then when they had exhausted themselves, the occupants of
> >the senior university could come in and pick up the pieces.
>
> >Anyway, Chirst Church is far superior to any of the minor places of
> >supposed learning mentioned so far :-)
>
> How dare you compare Trinity (Cambridge, of course) with such minor centres of
> learning as Trinity B (Oxford), or Christchurch. Excellence is proportional to
> size (of number of students, and of courts)

I didn't know that Christchurch was a centre of learning - I thought it
was a town in Devon or something (sorry my geography of south coast
towns isn't what it should be). Now if you had said Christ Church, I
might take issue with you.

Pete

ps Could you keep the line length down please!

Timothy Andrew Lister

Mar 3, 1994, 5:32:34 AM3/3/94
In article <2950.31...@evaware.org>,

Dave Bell <dave...@evaware.org> wrote:
>-=> Quoting Colin Macdonald to All <=-
>
>>I'm using unix, and several others I've seen here too. Maybe it's
>>time we figured out which operating system most of us use.
>>unix, dos, or Risc OS?

Scuse I, but I thought just got through all the comp.whatever in my newsrc
file and what do I see when I get to a.f.p and other "fun" newsgroups ?

The start of what is probably another flame war over what OS everyone uses.
Who gives a monkeys ? (sorry a.f.p isn't it, ape then :-) )

IMHO it's what you put on Usenet that counts, not how you put it !

Tim Lister

--
The secret of success in Maths: "Plagiarize. Plagiarize, let no one's work evade your eyes, but remember all of the time to call it... research" - Tom Lehrer.
GS(A&A) -p+ c++++ l+(++) u+(++) e++ m+(-) s+(++) !n(+) h+(*) f+ g+ w+(+++) t+ r+(++) y? (finger hay...@vax1.mankato.msus.edu to get translation)

James.Aldridge

Mar 3, 1994, 6:28:51 AM3/3/94
In article <1994Mar3.0...@physchem.ox.ac.uk> pe...@physchem.ox.ac.uk (Pete Biggs) writes:
* I didn't know that Christchurch was a centre of learning - I thought it
* was a town in Devon or something (sorry my geography of south coast
* towns isn't what it should be). Now if you had said Christ Church, I
* might take issue with you.

Christchurch is currently in Dorset but was in Hampshire until boundary
changes in the 1970's.

>Pete

James

-- ____
= / / / ___ ___ _/_ = James Aldridge, EUnet GB (GBnet Ltd),
= /---- / / / / /___/ / = Kent R&D Business Centre, Giles Lane,
= /____ /___/ / / /___ / = Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7PB, UK.
=== Connecting Europe since 1982 === Tel: +44 227 475497 Fax: +44 227 475478

mcv

Mar 3, 1994, 8:09:16 AM3/3/94
A while ago I read about some kind of organisation called TRI, which
stands for 'three random initials'.

Just FYI,
mcv. <><

P J Bleackley

Mar 7, 1994, 8:59:26 AM3/7/94

Yes, one of my first articles was flamed like nobody's bussiness for mentioning
that.

PS Good work to the guys who started the alt.fan.goons crossover. One day
alt.fan.pratchett will rule the world.

PETER J. BLEACKLEY

One day, a tortoise will learn how to fly.

Thomas D Ogden

Mar 7, 1994, 12:52:53 PM3/7/94
And those of smugness spake unto the masses:

: > Nyah ha ha haaa. Dominion is mine, sayeth the GM, for I shall be running

: > this year's Oxford-Cambridge role playing varsity match, and it shall be
: > set on the Disc. Allegations of chosing a senario that will favour the
: > Pratchett-phile denisens of Cambridge shall be treated with appropriate
: > peals of laughter - I have been informed that Oxford role players have
: > no sense of humour. Bribes should be sent in mixed denomination notes.

Nice to see those of the smuggest universities attempting to lord it over
the "lesser universities" ... while showing their intelligence and superiority
by spelling scenario with all the ability of a seven year old. As for denizens,
well I could cry ...

... oh no, what a gaff, it's a child prodidy who's never done english ...

anyway, while I'm flaming, how about a full set of pratchett playing cards?
ie. Terrapins, Elephants, Turtles, and Major Arcana ...
And in which order do the suits go?

Tom.

--

"Well, if you return anything except a trump, South will be able to get in
his two ruffs, losing only one Turtle, one Elephant and one Major Arcana ..."

Brunel University ... Live Action Role Playing Society ... la...@brunel.ac.uk
The labyrinthe guild known as the Church Of Spiritual Healing (COSH)

Douglas Reay

Mar 8, 1994, 3:07:03 PM3/8/94

*sigh* I should have realised that one must always include smilies if one
isn't being serious, even on alt.fan.pratchett

If the economists who rule our lives are to be believed, TANSTAFC.
(There Ain't No Such Thing As a Free Clue.) Therefore the following
is 'guiltware', .02c to be sent on achieving enlightenment:
"Urine was being extracted from them as do take such 'superiority' seriously."

D.J.S. Damerell

Mar 8, 1994, 6:38:10 PM3/8/94
In article <CMB30...@brunel.ac.uk> ma9...@brunel.ac.uk (Thomas D Ogden) writes:

>Nice to see those of the smuggest universities attempting to lord it over
>the "lesser universities" ... while showing their intelligence and superiority
>by spelling scenario with all the ability of a seven year old. As for
>denizens, well I could cry ...
>
>... oh no, what a gaff, it's a child prodidy who's never done english ...
^^^^^^^
Need I say it?

David Damerell, Gorn Confederation Academy. djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk
Real Life: Trinity College, Cambridge. |These opinions are mine alone.
"Who wants to live forever?" -Queen "ME!" -me| Who else would want them?
Books: Niven, Eddings | RPGs: AD&D, Cthulhu | Computer games: Elitist
TV: Any Star Trek | WARG: Star Fleet Battles | Music: Queen & classical

Paul Gillingwater

Mar 10, 1994, 9:23:44 PM3/10/94
ma9...@brunel.ac.uk (Thomas D Ogden) writes:

> anyway, while I'm flaming, how about a full set of pratchett playing cards?
> ie. Terrapins, Elephants, Turtles, and Major Arcana ...
> And in which order do the suits go?

Pterry calls them Caroc cards in Equal Rites. Anyway, it probably has
7+1 major suits, let's call them:
Turtles
Stars & Dragons
Spiked clubs
Glasses (of Old Bearhugger)
Elephants
Troll's Teeth (diamonds)
Fresh Hearts
Gravedigger's Spade
--
pa...@actrix.co.at (Paul Gillingwater) :: Home Office in Vienna, Austria
If you read news with rn or trn, try EEP! the friendly .newsrc editor.

Paul Gillingwater

Mar 13, 1994, 12:30:55 AM3/13/94
djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (D.J.S. Damerell) writes:

>>... oh no, what a gaff, it's a child prodidy who's never done english ...
> ^^^^^^^
> Need I say it?

Sigh. And people from BOTH Universities missed the correct spelling of
"gaffe." Unless you mean a barbed fishing spear, or a public place
of amusement? :-)

Thomas D Ogden

Mar 14, 1994, 3:11:22 PM3/14/94
Paul Gillingwater (pa...@actrix.co.at) wrote:
: djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (D.J.S. Damerell) writes:

: >>... oh no, what a gaff, it's a child prodidy who's never done english ...
: > ^^^^^^^
: > Need I say it?

Oh no, my life is over. And I listen to "The PRODIGY Experience" as
I write this ... to remind me of my poor effort ...

Anyway, DJS is correct on correcting to gaffe, but that is a Gramatical
correction as gaff is a legitimate word - ask a fisherman ...

but I don't have a spell checker, so I will have to dig out my
dictionary (a Collin's one of course!).

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH! prodidy. I must be getting old ...

Paul Gillingwater

Mar 15, 1994, 9:48:35 AM3/15/94
ma9...@brunel.ac.uk (Thomas D Ogden) writes:

> Paul Gillingwater (pa...@actrix.co.at) wrote:
> : djs...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (D.J.S. Damerell) writes:
>
> : >>... oh no, what a gaff, it's a child prodidy who's never done english ..
> .
> : > ^^^^^^^
> : > Need I say it?
>

> Anyway, DJS is correct on correcting to gaffe, but that is a Gramatical
> correction as gaff is a legitimate word - ask a fisherman ...

Actually, it was I that corrected your "gaffe." And I included the
definition you refer to (plus another.) I generally don't flame
spelling, but "those who live by the spelling flame shall die by the
spelling flame." :-) Oh and Grammatical has two "ems." :->

> "Well, if you return anything except a trump, South will be able to get in
> his two ruffs

Two ruffs? Is Gaspode playing?