JOHNNY AND THE DEAD

Tony Trujillo

Apr 18, 1994, 7:13:00 AM4/18/94
Hello!

I just finished JOHNNY AND THE DEAD the other night and
felt I had to comment on it. Once again, Pterry proves
that these young adult books can appeal to any age. I'd
have to say this is my favorite non-Disc book...it was
extremely funny and the end was very touching. I don't want
to ruin the book for the people who haven't read it so all
I can say is run out and grab yourself a copy of this book
as well as ONLY YOU CAN SAVE MANKIND. It's a pity I have
to rely on overseas friends to get Pterry's newest books.

BTW: I have a question. Pterry keeps mentioning a "PHASE"
or "PROGRAM" that Johnny and his mother are in. Could someone
over in the UK explain to me what this exactly is. I wish
I could give you more information but I gave my books to a friend.

... "Thief! Thief! Baggins! We hates it, We hates it for ever!"
* Silver Xpress V4.00 SW01177

Ian Sharrock

Apr 19, 1994, 11:26:16 AM4/19/94
In article <199404191...@ibm3090.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
BD...@ibm3090.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de "Markus Imhof" writes:

>Sorry, I was cut off the net for a few weeks. Can anyone tell me
>please if Men at Arms is available as paperback yet ? (with price/
>ISBN if possible ?)

My local Dillons claims it will be out on the 17th of May, along with
Soul Music. They also said they normally get the books a few days early
and if you ask nicely....

Ian

--
Ian Sharrock i...@bertie.demon.co.uk

#include <spew.h>
"Space Aliens from Watford landed in my garden and inserted 32 token ring
adapters into my cat." burbles deranged Sheffield pox-doctor.
-- IBM files suit claiming breach of copyright.

Andrew Ellam

Apr 19, 1994, 2:50:59 PM4/19/94
tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:
>BTW: I have a question. Pterry keeps mentioning a "PHASE"
>or "PROGRAM" that Johnny and his mother are in. Could someone
>over in the UK explain to me what this exactly is. I wish
>I could give you more information but I gave my books to a friend.

'trying times' ~= Acrimony between parents.

Dunno about a 'program'. 'Phase' would probably refer to the above.

Andy.
--
"It's the Wrong Trousers, Gromit - And they've gone wrong!" |
Pgp: 0D4B69 A7 30 44 1B 09 38 DE 2A 6B 0E 8A C4 2A B7 2B B5

R. Dijkhuis

Apr 19, 1994, 2:53:02 PM4/19/94
In article <6b.3389.23...@sound.com> tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:

>BTW: I have a question. Pterry keeps mentioning a "PHASE"
>or "PROGRAM" that Johnny and his mother are in. Could someone
>over in the UK explain to me what this exactly is. I wish
>I could give you more information but I gave my books to a friend.

His parents are growing apart from each other and might be splitting up.

Reinder
"It's not that kind of a Passion Play" said my uncle Socrates,
"it's about the passion of our Lord." "The passion of Our Who?" said
my grandfather in horror. "Now look here, Sock, my son, I've been forty
years in showbusiness, but I will not stand for a blasphemy of that
nature apart from the fact that it would be illegal not to say unprofitable."
--Brendan Behan, "Richard's Cork Leg"

Markus Imhof

Apr 19, 1994, 1:18:00 PM4/19/94
Sorry, I was cut off the net for a few weeks. Can anyone tell me
please if Men at Arms is available as paperback yet ? (with price/
ISBN if possible ?)
Thanks
Markus

Jason Blight

Apr 20, 1994, 7:50:31 AM4/20/94
In article <766769...@bertie.demon.co.uk>
Is that Soul Music in hardback or paper back?
I know it's a stupid question but as a poor sandwich student I am
hoping both in paperback as I can't afford hardbacks.

| "Thomas breaking through the midfield, it's | Jason Blight |
| all up for grabs now........" | |
| | Rutherford Appleton Lab. |
| Brian Moore | Chilton, |
| | Didcot, |
| 26th May 1989 | Oxon. |
| | England. |

Ian Sharrock

Apr 21, 1994, 4:32:00 AM4/21/94
In article <16F9EC...@ib.rl.ac.uk> J...@ib.rl.ac.uk "Jason Blight" writes:

>In article <766769...@bertie.demon.co.uk>
>i...@bertie.demon.co.uk (Ian Sharrock) writes:
>

>>In article <199404191...@ibm3090.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
>> BD...@ibm3090.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de "Markus Imhof" writes:
>>
>>>Sorry, I was cut off the net for a few weeks. Can anyone tell me
>>>please if Men at Arms is available as paperback yet ? (with price/
>>>ISBN if possible ?)
>>
>>My local Dillons claims it will be out on the 17th of May, along with
>>Soul Music. They also said they normally get the books a few days early
>>and if you ask nicely....

>Is that Soul Music in hardback or paper back?

>I know it's a stupid question but as a poor sandwich student I am
>hoping both in paperback as I can't afford hardbacks.

Sorry chum. Hardback Soul Music, paperback Men At Arms.

Dean Smith

Apr 21, 1994, 2:03:16 PM4/21/94
Talking sense on alt.fan.pratchett, Tony Trujillo came up with this:

: BTW: I have a question. Pterry keeps mentioning a "PHASE"

As in "Ignore him, it's just a phase he's going through"?

Charles H King

Apr 22, 1994, 7:07:37 AM4/22/94
In article <deani...@deanie.demon.co.uk>
dea...@deanie.demon.co.uk "Dean Smith" writes:

>: BTW: I have a question. Pterry keeps mentioning a "PHASE"
>
>As in "Ignore him, it's just a phase he's going through"?

I am reminded of an anecdote. (Actually I've heard the same story in different
guises from several different sources. I think 'apocryphal' is the word?)...

An amateur dramatics association decided that their production of
Henry V would be much enhanced by the use of real horses (tm) during
battle scenes. The audience in the packed town hall were, indeed,
amazed and enthralled by the spectacle of a young Prince Hal making his
entrance atop a prancing steed (well, an elderly pony actually, but such
is the magic of theatre). They were even more amazed and enthralled when
the groaning stage gave way, depositing horse and actor into the storage
room below. Over the stunned silence of the audience, and the distant
noises of equine surprise and thespian outrage, an extra was heard to say
"Ignore him, it's just a stage he's going through...."

Charlie

| -=< Charles H King >=- \ |
| \ Think Ahea|
|InterNet: Char...@prospect.demon.co.uk \ d|

Tony Trujillo

Apr 22, 1994, 11:13:00 AM4/22/94

S> His parents are growing apart from each other and might be splitting up.

I understood that part...I had gotten the notion that TRYING TIMES
was some kind of assistance program for divorcing parents and
their children.

... "Never trust a man with horns on his hat!"

Tony Trujillo

Apr 22, 1994, 11:13:00 AM4/22/94

>>BTW: I have a question. Pterry keeps mentioning a "PHASE"
>>or "PROGRAM" that Johnny and his mother are in. Could someone
>>over in the UK explain to me what this exactly is. I wish
>>I could give you more information but I gave my books to a friend.

A> 'trying times' ~= Acrimony between parents.

Thanks for clearing that up. For some reason I had thought
TRYING TIMES was some kind of locally sponsored program to
assist parents who were divorcing...to provide counseling
and the like.

BTW: I'm sorry for the abrupt end to our private mail
conversation. Our BBS crashed and lost all of our messages
so at least I have a good reason! :^)

Also, I saw the 6th season of RED DWARF last night...what
a cliffhanger! :^)

Tony.T...@sound.com

... In space...no one can hear you "Cha! Cha! Cha!"

Andrew Ellam

Apr 23, 1994, 4:41:54 PM4/23/94

Yes. No, it isn't.

Andy "the first part being the answer to the question as posed, the second
part being the actual answer".

Tom Kellett

Apr 23, 1994, 6:11:55 AM4/23/94
In article <6b.3473.23...@sound.com>

tony.t...@sound.com "Tony Trujillo" writes:
> I understood that part...I had gotten the notion that TRYING TIMES
> was some kind of assistance program for divorcing parents and
> their children.

Hmmm, interesting slant that, what would they offer I wonder ?

1001 Reasons to divorce that have'nt occurred to you yet.[TM]

A consenting adult of your choice. [with pictures] <inna bun?>

suggestions anyone ?

--
Regards,
: Tom Kellett : Compuserve : T.A.K.DesignS : Inspiration /~~~\ :

Eccles

Apr 24, 1994, 12:58:46 AM4/24/94
tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:

>Also, I saw the 6th season of RED DWARF last night...what
>a cliffhanger! :^)

7th series thanks :-)
Series 7 Red Dwarf - the Search for Series 6.
*sigh* mayhaps no series 7 :( or more books.

>... In space...no one can hear you "Cha! Cha! Cha!"

"What do you mean you killed him cha cha cha!?"

Eccles, posting in the wrong place, nyah nyah :)

Simon Reap

Apr 25, 1994, 5:29:36 AM4/25/94
Tom Kellett (T...@takdsign.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: In article <6b.3473.23...@sound.com>

: tony.t...@sound.com "Tony Trujillo" writes:
: > I understood that part...I had gotten the notion that TRYING TIMES
: > was some kind of assistance program for divorcing parents and
: > their children.
: >
: Hmmm, interesting slant that, what would they offer I wonder ?

: 1001 Reasons to divorce that have'nt occurred to you yet.[TM]

: A consenting adult of your choice. [with pictures] <inna bun?>

-----------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^
Hasn't Jasper Carrot (?) already done that, with his pastiche of those
ludicrously un-erotic sexual cinema adverts for their Intermission snacks?
The real ones usually show a blonde fellating an ice lolly, but the
only one of Jasper's I can remember is of a couple writhing naked
in a giant (10ft across) hamburger bun, and being covered with dollops
of ketchup/catsup. Well, it put *me* off cinema food for life!
--
yerluvinunclesimon, the Grin Reaper

Anthony Finch (PFUE)

Apr 25, 1994, 11:38:54 AM4/25/94
Andrew Ellam (an...@drebin.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> BD...@ibm3090.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de (Markus Imhof) writes:
> >Sorry, I was cut off the net for a few weeks. Can anyone tell me
> >please if Men at Arms is available as paperback yet ? (with price/
> >ISBN if possible ?)
>
> Yes. No, it isn't.
>
> Andy "the first part being the answer to the question as posed, the second
> part being the actual answer".

Yes, well. I went on a short tour around those Bristolian Bookshops on
Thursday last week, to see when they thought they would get M@A in
paperback. Both Waterstone's and George's had no firm details, and
guessed that it would be in November (i.e 1 year after the hardback).

I wasn't dreaming when I heard 14 May being bandied around, was I?
Tell me they are knowlessmen, just to reassure me, please?

--
Anthony Finch fa...@inmos.co.uk
Campaign against using `#' for Pounds Sterling!

Laura Johnson

Apr 25, 1994, 5:59:21 PM4/25/94
Simon Reap (s...@datcon.co.uk) wrote:
: -----------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^

: Hasn't Jasper Carrot (?) already done that, with his pastiche of those
: ludicrously un-erotic sexual cinema adverts for their Intermission snacks?
: The real ones usually show a blonde fellating an ice lolly, but the
: only one of Jasper's I can remember is of a couple writhing naked
: in a giant (10ft across) hamburger bun, and being covered with dollops
: of ketchup/catsup. Well, it put *me* off cinema food for life!
: --

Boy, we miss out on *everything* in the States, don't we??

Tony Trujillo

Apr 26, 1994, 7:30:00 PM4/26/94

>>Also, I saw the 6th season of RED DWARF last night...what
>>a cliffhanger! :^)
E> 7th series thanks :-)
E> Series 7 Red Dwarf - the Search for Series 6.
E> *sigh* mayhaps no series 7 :( or more books.

Don't even say things like that! Hummm...we need to drag
this conversation back on topic. Hummm...what if the
RED DWARF came across The Great A'tuin in deep space? :^)

Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
I've read over the years. :^)

E> Eccles, posting in the wrong place, nyah nyah :)

Shame on you for posting in the wrong area! WAIT A SEC! Move
over! I'll join you! Nyah! Nyah! :^)

Actually, I need to start picking up the RED.DWARF news
group again.

Tony.T...@sound.com

... This is a S.O.S. distress call from the mining ship RED DWARF

Ian Sharrock

Apr 25, 1994, 11:04:46 AM4/25/94
In article <1994Apr25....@inmos.co.uk>

fa...@inmos.co.uk "Anthony Finch (PFUE" writes:

>I wasn't dreaming when I heard 14 May being bandied around, was I?
>Tell me they are knowlessmen, just to reassure me, please?

Yes you were - it's the 17th :-) Or at least it better be, 'cos the buggers
took my money up front for it.

I shall attend the shop presently with a can of paraffin and one box of Swan
Vestas just in case.

Mr D.M. Whittle

Apr 27, 1994, 8:00:17 AM4/27/94
In article <6b.3574.23...@sound.com>, tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:

> >>Also, I saw the 6th season of RED DWARF last night...what
> >>a cliffhanger! :^)
> E> 7th series thanks :-)
> E> Series 7 Red Dwarf - the Search for Series 6.
> E> *sigh* mayhaps no series 7 :( or more books.

Am I the only person that thought red dwawrf was a load of over-hyped
tripe? I remeber Grant and Naylor being interviewed whilst plugging it
and they said it would not feature "aliens, robots are tacky special
effects.This is a comedy about personalities." Until they realised
that people wanted to see tacky special effects. And gee I guess they
never read HHGTTG, eh? I mean the time travel language, mixing all the
tenses, was their idea, obviously. And The Inquisitor concept wasnt a bit
like Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged.

And for all who say this is posted on the wrong group-you started it.
(The R.D. books weren't too bad though........)

Dave

(still in exile)

Silver Omega

Apr 27, 1994, 11:12:50 AM4/27/94
In article <6b.3574.23...@sound.com>,
tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:

> Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
> novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
> THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
> the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
> I've read over the years. :^)

Now that's a *much* better idea than the movie thread. The Beeb
actually might make something half-decent. And, speaking of the HHG
series, you could use the fellow who did the voice-overs for the
typical Pratchian footnotes and similar comic comentary.

O.K.; casting thread, take II: British TV actors. Take it away,
Eric the Orchestra Leader[1]!

Harry.

--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
Harry Johnston, uda...@bay.cc.kcl.ac.uk

Patric S. Toms

Apr 27, 1994, 7:15:54 PM4/27/94
In article <6b.3574.23...@sound.com>
tony.t...@sound.com "Tony Trujillo" writes:

> Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
> novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
> THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
> the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
> I've read over the years. :^)

Unfortunately to warrant the attention there would probably have to be
a radio series, several tapes and records, multiple stage productions
before the BBC would even sit up and take notice.

> E> Eccles, posting in the wrong place, nyah nyah :)
>
> Shame on you for posting in the wrong area! WAIT A SEC! Move
> over! I'll join you! Nyah! Nyah! :^)

Nyah! Nyah!

> Actually, I need to start picking up the RED.DWARF news
> group again.

I never knew there was one. I think I'll join it now. BYE!

Magus
Do you feel safe ?

A Reid Anderson Mobile

Apr 27, 1994, 8:51:45 AM4/27/94
Tony.T...@sound.com wrote:

> Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
> novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
> THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
> the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
> I've read over the years. :^)

I say NO and thrice NO! Don't let Auntie ruin Pterry's masterpieces,
PLEASE!

I enjoyed HHGTTG books and was completely turned off by the series. If
DISCWORLD must be made into film, then it HAS to be the big screen so
that true juctice can be done!

Tony R-A

Steve DeGroof

Apr 27, 1994, 7:54:43 PM4/27/94
>In article <6b.3574.23...@sound.com>,
>tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:

>> Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
>> novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
>> THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
>> the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
>> I've read over the years. :^)

Er, just for the record, the radio series came first.

SD

Brian A. Mellor

Apr 28, 1994, 10:04:43 AM4/28/94
In article <Cox52...@cix.compulink.co.uk>, tst...@cix.compulink.co.uk ("A Reid Anderson Mobile ") writes:
|> Tony.T...@sound.com wrote:
|>
|> > Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
|> > novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
|> > THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
|> > the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
|> > I've read over the years. :^)
|>
|> I say NO and thrice NO! Don't let Auntie ruin Pterry's masterpieces,
|> PLEASE!
|>

|> Tony R-A

Didn't they do a good job with Truckers a few years ago ?
Also, HHGTTG - what do consider the masterpiece, the radio or book ?

Brian

David Jose Roy

Apr 28, 1994, 11:02:39 AM4/28/94
Brian A. Mellor (b...@hermes.mod.uk) wrote:

: |> Tony R-A

THE TOWEL!

David

: Brian

V. Dasmohapatra

Apr 29, 1994, 7:00:00 AM4/29/94
In article <Cox2o...@liverpool.ac.uk> dwh...@ash-40.liv.ac.uk (Mr D.M. Whittle) writes:
>From: dwh...@ash-40.liv.ac.uk (Mr D.M. Whittle)
>Subject: RE: JOHNNY AND THE DEAD
>Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 12:00:17 GMT

>Am I the only person that thought red dwawrf was a load of over-hyped
>tripe? I remeber Grant and Naylor being interviewed whilst plugging it
>and they said it would not feature "aliens, robots are tacky special
>effects.This is a comedy about personalities." Until they realised
>that people wanted to see tacky special effects. And gee I guess they
>never read HHGTTG, eh? I mean the time travel language, mixing all the
>tenses, was their idea, obviously. And The Inquisitor concept wasnt a bit
>like Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged.

>And for all who say this is posted on the wrong group-you started it.
>(The R.D. books weren't too bad though........)

>Dave

>(still in exile)

Everone ready? Ok.
1
2
3

FLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAME(Remember:Quick uncontrolled bursts)FLAMEFLAME!
| |
| "FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC" Vivek Dasmohapatra |
| King's College |
| Cambridge |
| "TO PROTECT AND SERVE" |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

peag...@void.tdcnet.nl

Apr 28, 1994, 5:47:51 PM4/28/94
Ma...@drak.demon.co.uk ("Patric S. Toms") writes:

>In article <6b.3574.23...@sound.com>
> tony.t...@sound.com "Tony Trujillo" writes:

>> Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
>> novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
>> THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
>> the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
>> I've read over the years. :^)

>Unfortunately to warrant the attention there would probably have to be
>a radio series, several tapes and records, multiple stage productions
>before the BBC would even sit up and take notice.

I think the BBC are well aware of the interest in Terry's works and they
have already done a serialisation of Truckers. It wasn't (at) all bad,
actually.

--
Philip Green. | I express preference for a chronological
peag...@void.tdcnet.nl | sequence of events which precludes a violence.

Daniel Pead

Apr 29, 1994, 12:03:16 PM4/29/94
In article <vd10002.8...@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
vd1...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (V. Dasmohapatra) writes:

> >I remeber Grant and Naylor being interviewed whilst plugging it
> >and they said it would not feature "aliens, robots are tacky special
> >effects.This is a comedy about personalities." Until they realised
> >that people wanted to see tacky special effects.

The story on later plugs was that the BBC powers-that-be had a strong
anti-SF prejudice and could only be persuaded to take the series if the
SF angle was played down. Considering the BBC's record on axing Dr
Who, forcing Star Trek TNG fans to leave work early on wednesdays (with
the occasional 2 year holiday while they rererereshow all the
originals), refusing to re-run Blake's 7 and generally cancelling
anything remotely like SF at the slightest squeak of chalk on snooker
cue... this sounds highly believable.

---------------------------------
Daniel Pead
Shell Centre for Maths Education
Nottingham University

A G Jackson

Apr 30, 1994, 5:30:41 AM4/30/94
In article <5282.31...@evaware.org>, dave...@evaware.org (Dave Bell) writes:
|> -=> Quoting Silver Omega to All <=-

|> > Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
|> > novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
|> > THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
|> > the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
|> > I've read over the years. :^)
|>
|> SO> Now that's a *much* better idea than the movie thread. The Beeb
|> SO> actually might make something half-decent. And, speaking of the HHG
|> SO> series, you could use the fellow who did the voice-overs for the
|> SO> typical Pratchian footnotes and similar comic comentary.
|>
|> Even better, they could take the Hitch-Hiker books and make a radio
|> series out of them.
|>
|> (Do you really need a smiley?)

Excellent idea. A BBC production of a Discworld novel. Far more productive than
all these film casting threads, and far more likely to happen/work.

So...

Who's going to play the Librarian? :-)

Adrian

| Adrian Jackson | a.g.j...@durham.ac.uk | 27 North Bailey, DURHAM |
| If it was exactly the same it just wouldn't be the same... |

Dave Bell

Apr 29, 1994, 2:04:00 PM4/29/94
-=> Quoting Silver Omega to All <=-

> Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD

> novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
> THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
> the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
> I've read over the years. :^)

SO> Now that's a *much* better idea than the movie thread. The Beeb

SO> actually might make something half-decent. And, speaking of the HHG
SO> series, you could use the fellow who did the voice-overs for the
SO> typical Pratchian footnotes and similar comic comentary.

Even better, they could take the Hitch-Hiker books and make a radio
series out of them.

(Do you really need a smiley?)

Dave

... "Bollocks," said Pooh being more forthright than usual
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11

----
|EvaWare BBS, Home of Orator QWK reader for Windows, Sysop:Nick Dyer|
| Tel 44-507-608645. V32/V32Bis V42/V42Bis HST Fidonet (2:252/158) |

Andy Howard

Apr 29, 1994, 4:18:00 PM4/29/94

TT> Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
TT> novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
TT> THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY.

Hitchhiker's started life as a BBC radio series, the books came much
later...

TT> I consider any of
TT> the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
TT> I've read over the years. :^)

Agreed.

---
. RM 1.3 U0411 . By the time we've made it, we've had it.

Andrew Ellam

Apr 30, 1994, 1:30:15 PM4/30/94
tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:
>Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
>novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
>THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
>the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
>I've read over the years. :^)

Um. Judging by the bits of JAtD that have been televised, I'm
not too keen. Mind you, I'm biased against the beeb at the
moment (The Net is such a piece of quality journalism).

Andy.
--
"Some may have more fish than you / Others take a different view" - Des'ree

Andrew Eacott

May 1, 1994, 5:15:57 AM5/1/94
In article <7Bmla...@drebin.demon.co.uk> an...@drebin.demon.co.uk (Andrew Ellam) writes:
>tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:
>>Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
>>novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
>>THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
>>the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
>>I've read over the years. :^)
>
>Um. Judging by the bits of JAtD that have been televised, I'm
>not too keen. Mind you, I'm biased against the beeb at the
>moment (The Net is such a piece of quality journalism).

You've got to give The Net some credit. One of the first TV programmes to
actually mention the Internet without trying (too hard) to spread worldwide
panic about how it's a den of thieves, terrorists and pirates.
The rest of the programme is a bit naff though.

Have you noticed how the Internet is suddenly THE thing to mention on a TV
programme. I must seen several references in the last few weeks, and before
I'd never heard anything about it on TV.

peag...@void.tdcnet.nl

May 1, 1994, 6:42:23 PM5/1/94
ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk (Andrew Eacott) writes:

>Have you noticed how the Internet is suddenly THE thing to mention on a TV
>programme. I must seen several references in the last few weeks, and before
>I'd never heard anything about it on TV.

It's the same in the Dutch media.

David Jose Roy

May 2, 1994, 11:37:53 AM5/2/94
Andrew Eacott (ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: In article <7Bmla...@drebin.demon.co.uk> an...@drebin.demon.co.uk (Andrew Ellam) writes:
: >tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:
: >>Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
: >>novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
: >>THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
: >>the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
: >>I've read over the years. :^)
: >
: >Um. Judging by the bits of JAtD that have been televised, I'm
^^^^

OK. I give up. (Je donne ma langue au chat, pour ceux qui
suivent les histoires de cruate feline...) What is that?

David

: >not too keen. Mind you, I'm biased against the beeb at the

Ethical Holdings plc

May 2, 1994, 11:06:07 AM5/2/94

In article <767808...@sound.demon.co.uk>, Andrew Eacott (ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk) writes:

>Have you noticed how the Internet is suddenly THE thing to mention on a TV
>programme. I must seen several references in the last few weeks, and before
>I'd never heard anything about it on TV.

It's the same in the newspapers. Next thing you know some stupid
computer mag will pick up on it, and then where will we be ?

MikeB "Oooook"

Laura Johnson

May 2, 1994, 2:38:55 PM5/2/94
peag...@void.tdcnet.nl wrote:
: ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk (Andrew Eacott) writes:

: >Have you noticed how the Internet is suddenly THE thing to mention on a TV
: >programme. I must seen several references in the last few weeks, and before
: >I'd never heard anything about it on TV.

: It's the same in the Dutch media.

I've not noticed it on U.S. TV (maybe 'cuz I don't watch much), but last
week it was mentioned in the TV Guide magazine. And Newsweek. And Playboy.
And (wait for it) Vogue.

Bret Kramer (esq)

May 2, 1994, 9:23:43 PM5/2/94
Sadly, I must also add the two pillars of 'teen-age girl' society,
Sassy and YM to the list. One article talked about 'How to Meet Boys'. Ack.

--
"I want to conquer the world and give all these idiots a brand-new religion-"
Bret Kramer (esq) {The Evil Opposite of Elvis} bkr...@macalstr.edu

Andrew Ellam

May 2, 1994, 2:21:33 PM5/2/94
Strictly NO CASTING in this thread, By Order Of The Management!

sf...@central.susx.ac.uk (David Jose Roy) writes:
> an...@drebin.demon.co.uk (Andrew Ellam) writes:
> >tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:
> >>Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
> >>novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
> >>THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
> >>the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
> >>I've read over the years. :^)
> >
> >Um. Judging by the bits of JAtD that have been televised, I'm
> > ^^^^
> OK. I give up. (Je donne ma langue au chat, pour ceux qui
>suivent les histoires de cruate feline...) What is that?

Actually, I meant JatD - Johnny and the Dead - aka J&tD.

What was the French?

Robert Hummerstone

May 3, 1994, 6:26:57 PM5/3/94

> : >
> : >Um. Judging by the bits of JAtD that have been televised, I'm
> ^^^^
>
> OK. I give up. (Je donne ma langue au chat, pour ceux qui
> suivent les histoires de cruate feline...) What is that?

Jonny and the dead I would think

Robert Hummerstone

Andrew Eacott

May 3, 1994, 4:12:04 PM5/3/94
In article <2q3hbv$b...@tadpole.fc.hp.com> lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:
>peag...@void.tdcnet.nl wrote:
>: ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk (Andrew Eacott) writes:
>
>: >Have you noticed how the Internet is suddenly THE thing to mention on a TV
>: >programme. I must seen several references in the last few weeks, and before
>: >I'd never heard anything about it on TV.
>
>: It's the same in the Dutch media.
>
>I've not noticed it on U.S. TV (maybe 'cuz I don't watch much), but last
>week it was mentioned in the TV Guide magazine. And Newsweek. And Playboy.
>And (wait for it) Vogue.

Vogue ? That would have been interesting. Did it have anything to do with
what colour anorak was the latest fashion among the net community ?

Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it
in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?

There's a colour supplement which is included in a *quality* Sunday newspaper.
It's called uncensored and is unsurprisingly about censorship.
Anyway, they've picked up on how the Internet is used to break the law.
They listed a case in which a murder took place in Canada and a judge tried
to limit any reporting on it entering Canada from the US. I think he basically
suceeded until......
[Steals himself for horrorstruck expression]
(in the words of the article) "Internet deviants" sent the minutes of the
trial from the US to Canada newspapers.
This supplement also implies that the Internet is a worldwide network for
hackers etc.

Ahh well, take what we can get I suppose.

John Elliott

May 3, 1994, 7:47:35 PM5/3/94
In article <1...@ethicalh.win-uk.net>, Ethical Holdings plc (mi...@ethicalh.win-uk.net) wrote:
:

This has actually happened... Take a copy of 'PCW Plus', turn to the last
page before the back cover... It's only a matter of time now before we get
things like Nintendo whatdyoucallems used for posting to a.f.p; and they have
only got a few buttons. Imagine:

"Re: Beer
From: consol...@dixons.somewhere

LEFTRIGHTUPUPUPLEFTFIREFIREFIREFIFIRELEFTDOWNFIREFIREFIRE

--"

so not much change from what we have at the moment.

* *
*
*** *
*
* *

John Elliott |BLOODNOK: "Why have you got such a long face, Seagoon?"
m93...@ecs.ox.ac.uk |SEAGOON: "Heavy dentures, Sir!" -The Goon Show
:--------------------------------------------------------------------------)

Martin Walser

May 4, 1994, 3:50:02 AM5/4/94
>Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it
>in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?

Actually, I don't think the word is used at all. Though I'm not quite
clear about the meaning... it seems to have more than one that I've seen
here:
1) a geeky fan-type person (be it Trek, Fantasy/SciFi or whatever)
2) an ancient egyptian religious symbol of a cross with a looped top

-+-

Like that. Sometimes they're worn by hard-core "alternative" fantasy fans
(you know... the ones who are *really* into Tarot/Mother Goddess/whatever).

Am I way off? As for the first definition, geek/nerd tend to suffice though
they're useage seems to have fallen lately. The word for the second definition
in American english is "Ankh" surprisingly enough. (ahh-nk).

Co-inky-dink?

Mart (wal...@midget.towson.edu)

David Jose Roy

May 4, 1994, 7:10:37 AM5/4/94
Robert Hummerstone (rob...@cix.compulink.co.uk) wrote:

: > : >

I hate it when I ask really obvious questions. Thanks for not
flaming me.

David

: Robert Hummerstone

Mark Thompson

May 4, 1994, 7:35:59 AM5/4/94
Martin Walser (wal...@midget.towson.edu) wrote:
: >Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it
: >in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?

: 2) an ancient egyptian religious symbol of a cross with a looped top

: O
: -+-
: |

: Am I way off? As for the first definition, geek/nerd tend to suffice though

: they're useage seems to have fallen lately. The word for the second definition
: in American english is "Ankh" surprisingly enough. (ahh-nk).

The word for the symbol you drew is "ankh" in British English as well.
Dunno where you got the idea that it was called an anorak from.

By the way - I used to have a kagool (blue), but then I turned nine.

Mark

Mark Thompson - ICL "Let's go to work..."

CABMath

May 4, 1994, 11:21:30 AM5/4/94
In article <768021...@sound.demon.co.uk>
ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk (Andrew Eacott) writes:

> Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it
> in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?

Most merkins wouldn't even know what an anorak is.

Chris

Laura Johnson

May 4, 1994, 2:46:57 PM5/4/94
Andrew Eacott (ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: Vogue ? That would have been interesting. Did it have anything to do with

: what colour anorak was the latest fashion among the net community ?

Nah, but close .... "Fashions in the year 2000." And you know, I *saw* their
survey some months ago on some group or other. I told 'em "It's only seven[1]
years away, how radical could the changes be?" but of course they didn't quote
*me*. They quoted some netter who suggested a full-body condom.

: Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it

: in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?

Not at all. I'd never heard the term till I saw it on Usenet. Here, it's an
obscure, rarely-used word that refers to some kind of jacket (no doubt
similar to your anoraks, I guess[2]). I think they sell one in Land's End.
We don't have train-spotters, either.

[1] It was then.
[2] Not meaning, of course, to imply that you personally wear an anorak.

Patric S. Toms

May 4, 1994, 5:01:22 PM5/4/94
In article <CpA07...@oasis.icl.co.uk>
m...@oasis.icl.co.uk "Mark Thompson" writes:

> Martin Walser (wal...@midget.towson.edu) wrote:
>
> : 2) an ancient egyptian religious symbol of a cross with a looped top
>
> : O
> : -+-
> : |
>
> : Am I way off? As for the first definition, geek/nerd tend to suffice though
> : they're useage seems to have fallen lately. The word for the second
> definition
> : in American english is "Ankh" surprisingly enough. (ahh-nk).
>
> The word for the symbol you drew is "ankh" in British English as well.
> Dunno where you got the idea that it was called an anorak from.

It is an ancient egyptian symbol of life from which are derived the male and
female symbols of circle-with-cross (male) and circle-with-arrow (female).
It's modern day image is supposedly representative of someone who is ready,
willing and able at the drop of a hat (there we go again)

-- Magus
************** ****************** **********************
Patric S. Toms Do you feel safe ? Ma...@drak.demon.co.uk
'I have a slight inferiority complex'

Robin Parkinson

May 4, 1994, 7:59:47 AM5/4/94
Andrew Eacott (ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: You've got to give The Net some credit. One of the first TV programmes to

: actually mention the Internet without trying (too hard) to spread worldwide
: panic about how it's a den of thieves, terrorists and pirates.
: The rest of the programme is a bit naff though.

: Have you noticed how the Internet is suddenly THE thing to mention on a TV
: programme. I must seen several references in the last few weeks, and before
: I'd never heard anything about it on TV.

Yup - did you see "Tomorrow's World" a week or so back - the presenter managed
to say "information superhighway" about five times in a three-minute article.

(As a further irrelevance - have you noticed that the presenters of TW have
changed over the last ten years from three men and a token woman to three
women and a token man?)

- Robin.

PS to Terry - is there going to be an information superhighway in "Unclear
Physics"?
---
Disclaimer: You can probably find ICL somwhere along the information
superhighway. Me - I usually prefer the scenic route...
---
Robin Parkinson r...@jasper.rb.icl.co.uk
ICL Retail Systems, Bracknell, England R.Parkinson@BRA0801
"I am playing the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order."
- Eric Morecambe

Chris E. Becht

May 4, 1994, 10:31:37 PM5/4/94
CABMath (bar...@sjdccd.cc.ca.us) wrote:
: In article <768021...@sound.demon.co.uk>
: ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk (Andrew Eacott) writes:

Well, I know what an anorak is, just not much use here in the desert.

David Jose Roy

May 5, 1994, 6:12:51 AM5/5/94
Andrew Ellam (an...@drebin.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Strictly NO CASTING in this thread, By Order Of The Management!

: What was the French?

"I give up", in French, comes out as "I give my tongue to the
cat" (stilted translation, but I wanted to stick to the French word
order). So, "I give my tongue to the cat, for those who are following
the stories of feline cruelty".

David. (Who can't believe he didn't know what JatD was.)

: Andy.

Steve DeGroof

May 4, 1994, 9:23:18 PM5/4/94

My dictionary says it's a Greenland Eskimo word meaning 'parka'. Funny, I
thought it meant 'raincoat'.

SD

Mr D.M. Whittle

May 5, 1994, 7:35:09 AM5/5/94
In article <1994May5.0...@lssec.bt.co.uk>, dhar...@lssec.bt.co.uk (Derek Harding) writes:
> You read playboy? ;-)
>
> It's the same in the UK. In the last week Ive seen two TV programmes (remember we only have 4 channels) and numerous newspaper articles which have mentioned the net.
>
> Derek
> ---
> Windoze - just say no!

There is now a series on BBC2 called "The Net".Wonder how long it took to think
of that title.........

dave

Tony Trujillo

May 4, 1994, 1:02:00 AM5/4/94

|>> I say NO and thrice NO! Don't let Auntie ruin Pterry's masterpieces,
|>> PLEASE!

B> Didn't they do a good job with Truckers a few years ago ?

I sure wish I could find the vid over here in the
states. I had heard the Beeb did to a good job with
TRUCKERS but I've never seen it. :^<

... "Never trust a man with horns on his hat!"
* Silver Xpress V4.00 SW01177

Simon Yates

May 5, 1994, 2:36:45 AM5/5/94
In article <2q8qj1$s...@tadpole.fc.hp.com> lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:

[SNIP]

>We don't have train-spotters, either.

Yes you do - see the thriving group rec.railroad.

Wombat

Laura Johnson

May 5, 1994, 10:30:55 AM5/5/94
Derek Harding (dhar...@lssec.bt.co.uk) wrote:
: In article b...@tadpole.fc.hp.com, lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:
: >I've not noticed it on U.S. TV (maybe 'cuz I don't watch much), but last

: >week it was mentioned in the TV Guide magazine. And Newsweek. And Playboy.
: >And (wait for it) Vogue.

: You read playboy? ;-)

Well, it's better-written than Vogue! (If I *must* explain, my husband
takes it, and upon seeing "ADDICTED TO THE NET" or some such on the
cover, yeah, sure I read it. Some of the interviews are quite good too.
In other words, I read it for the articles ;-> If I were queer, I don't
think I'd be attracted to *those* girls...)

Laura Johnson

May 5, 1994, 10:25:19 AM5/5/94
Hey. We've got tupperware too you know.

Mark A. Hood

May 5, 1994, 10:48:16 AM5/5/94
Previously Robin Parkinson (r...@rb.icl.co.uk) wrote:
> in the UK, grown men (I've never met a woman train spotter)

I have the dubious honour of having seen a female train-spotter at Crewe
station. I was at a table with three complete strangers (more of whom
below) who waved at all the trainspotters they saw, and to my knowledge
instigated the sport of trainspotterspotting. Their comment on the
arrival of a female trainspotter on the platform was:
"At last we know where baby trainspotters come from."
"Shame really, that all those rumours we heard about them were
completely unfounded."

These were the same three who shared a packet of biscuits over the
table, and only one of thier number could ever pull out a whole one.
The other two always got halves, or quarters of biscuit. Eventually,
this all became too much for one of them, who grabbed the packet,
smashed it against the side of the table six or seven times, threw it to
the floor, stamped on it, and returned it to the table panting and
swetaing slightly, Whereupon his cohort planted his fist upon the top
of the packet, crushing it again. The third member of the party calmly
reached into the packet, withdrew a whole, unbroken biscuit and ate it.
The rest of the table collapsed into hysterics (me) or apposite rage
(the other two). Fair sped the journey along.

Mark
--
|X| I speak for no-one but myself, and no-one speaks for me.
The C Programming Language: combines the flexibility of assembly language
with the power of assembly language.

Mark Thompson

May 5, 1994, 9:18:18 AM5/5/94
Robin Parkinson (r...@rb.icl.co.uk) wrote:

: [5] "The Big Breakfast", Channel 4. This show is distinguished by having both
: the most irritating [8] presenter (Chris Evans) and the most mind-numbingly
: attractive presenter (Gaby Roslin) ever to appear on breakfast TV in the UK.

Actually I always thought that the woman that did the sports round
up on The Channel 4 Daily was much more attractive than Gaby Roslin. Yes,
I was that Channel 4 Daily viewer.

: ---
: Standard disclaimer: ICL is not a train spotter, although some train spotters
: might be ICL.

How can it be a standard disclaimer when you rewrite it each time?

Worm

May 5, 1994, 11:30:53 AM5/5/94
Mark A. Hood (ee1...@mail.bris.ac.uk) wrote:
>Previously Robin Parkinson (r...@rb.icl.co.uk) wrote:
>> in the UK, grown men (I've never met a woman train spotter)

<blurb>

>station. I was at a table with three complete strangers (more of whom
>below) who waved at all the trainspotters they saw, and to my knowledge
>instigated the sport of trainspotterspotting. Their comment on the

So this makes you a trainspotterspotterspotter......hmmm. I don't think we
want to get into this.....

Worm.

I wanna find one face that ain't looking through me
I wanna find one place, I wanna spit in the face of these
Badlands...
_______________...@city.ac.uk______________________________________

Derek Harding

May 5, 1994, 4:19:09 AM5/5/94
In article b...@tadpole.fc.hp.com, lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:

You read playboy? ;-)

Iain

May 5, 1994, 11:46:13 AM5/5/94
In article <1994May5.1...@city.ac.uk>, Worm <xc...@city.ac.uk> wrote:
>Mark A. Hood (ee1...@mail.bris.ac.uk) wrote:
>>Previously Robin Parkinson (r...@rb.icl.co.uk) wrote:
>>> in the UK, grown men (I've never met a woman train spotter)

[previously cut stuff]

>>station. I was at a table with three complete strangers (more of whom
>>below) who waved at all the trainspotters they saw, and to my knowledge
>>instigated the sport of trainspotterspotting. Their comment on the
>
>So this makes you a trainspotterspotterspotter......hmmm. I don't think we
>want to get into this.....

Which makes you a trainspotterspotterspotterspotter... Yep, you were right,
I don't want to get into this, as I've just made myself a train... ARGH!!!!

>Worm.

Iain

Colm Buckley

May 5, 1994, 9:25:08 AM5/5/94
Ma...@drak.demon.co.uk ("Patric S. Toms") writes:

> [... about the ankh ...]

>It is an ancient egyptian symbol of life from which are derived the male and
>female symbols of circle-with-cross (male) and circle-with-arrow (female).

The ankh is not derived from the female and male symbols, as far as I know
it predates them by a considerable margin. It is a fertility symbol, but I
think it's of Hindu origin, nor Egyptian. As usual, I could be wrong.

>It's modern day image is supposedly representative of someone who is ready,
>willing and able at the drop of a hat (there we go again)

I always associate it with Prince... ah yes, I see what you mean :-)

--
Colm Buckley, Dept. of Computer Science, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland.
E-Mail : Colm.B...@cs.tcd.ie Phone : (+353) 1 7021436 | PGP public key

Daniel Pead

May 5, 1994, 9:26:51 AM5/5/94
In article <2q7k3a$h...@news.umbc.edu>
wal...@midget.towson.edu (Martin Walser) writes:

> Actually, I don't think the word is used at all. Though I'm not quite
> clear about the meaning... it seems to have more than one that I've seen
> here:
> 1) a geeky fan-type person (be it Trek, Fantasy/SciFi or whatever)

An anorak is a waterproof hooded coat. I think it was an Eskimo word?
It is increasingly being used to describe just the sort of people you
mention. A year or so ago, a BBC documentary on Dr Who fans (the BBC
prefer to show documentaries on Dr Who fans rather than showing Dr Who)
was presented by an anorak.

The reason for this is the (Łdefine conspiracy theory on)
anti-intellectual conspiracy: "Right thinking" kids are into football,
pop music and (more relevantly) silly fashionable black & white coats
with the letter "Y" on the front (for which they pester their parents)
that don't even keep your bum dry in the rain. Such types are the
lifeblood of the selling-overpriced-junk-to-teenagers industry, on
which most economies now depend.

Nerdy-types, however, are pre-occupied with unimportant, subversive
things like computers, electronics science fact&fiction, listen to
Tangerine Dream instead of Take That and don't give a toss whether or
not their coat has a Y on it as long as it keeps their bum dry in the
rain. They wear the anoraks that their mums buy them. These people
are a serious danger to the modern economy , as they don't buy trainers
or rap records. In order to stamp out this pernicious menace, the
media is determined to depict such people as socially inadequate (i.e.
they don't go to raves), inept at anything except passing exams,
dangerous (e.g. the sociopathic hacker type), unfit (they sit around
programming computers and reading books instead of doing something
healthy like watching the snooker on TV) and boring (i.e. they have an
attention span > 30 seconds).

---------------------------------
Daniel Pead
Shell Centre for Maths Education
Nottingham University

Robin Parkinson

May 5, 1994, 8:15:25 AM5/5/94
Martin Walser (wal...@midget.towson.edu) wrote:
: >Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it
: >in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?

: Actually, I don't think the word is used at all. Though I'm not quite
: clear about the meaning... it seems to have more than one that I've seen
: here:
: 1) a geeky fan-type person (be it Trek, Fantasy/SciFi or whatever)

This is one of those "guilty by association" words. The humble anorak is a
gentle, unassuming, useful item of clothing; to wit a waterproof jacket with
a hood, zippers and a tie waist. However the primaeval proto-geek, also known
as the train spotter [1], adopted this (along with a tupperware [2] box filled
with cheese and pickle sandwiches and a thermos full of lukewarm tea or oxtail
soup [3]) as his unofficial uniform. The wearing of an anorak quickly became
associated with the practice of train spotting, and train spotters and other
geeks [4] became known as "anoraks". For example there is a breakfast TV
programme [5] in the UK that awards the title "anorak of the week" to the most
obsessive, anal-retentive collector [6] of useless articles.

: 2) an ancient egyptian religious symbol of a cross with a looped top

: O
: -+-
: |

: Like that. Sometimes they're worn by hard-core "alternative" fantasy fans
: (you know... the ones who are *really* into Tarot/Mother Goddess/whatever).

: Am I way off? As for the first definition, geek/nerd tend to suffice though
: they're useage seems to have fallen lately. The word for the second definition
: in American english is "Ankh" surprisingly enough. (ahh-nk).

No - that's an ankh over here as well - I've never heard it called an anorak,
but the possibilities are mind-boggling [7].

- Robin.

Footnotes! We gottem. Onna stick...

[1] What's a train spotter? You're not going to believe this. There are people
in the UK, grown men (I've never met a woman train spotter), who stand on the
end of platforms and at railway junctions in all weathers faithfully writing
down the serial numbers of every locomotive and carriage that passes them.
They collect these in notebooks and hold meetings where they discuss them. They
organise trips to sidings and marshalling-yards. I am not kidding you. This is
true.

[2] Tupperware is a special kind of plastic available in the UK that manages
to feel like cartilage that's been dead a week and has just started to
decompose. People put their food in boxes made of this stuff. It sells by the
million.

[3] Or possibly lukewarm tea *and* oxtail soup. I make no assumptions where
train spotters are concerned.

[4] I am not by this statement saying that trainspotters are geeks. They are a
sort of uebermensch of geekdom. They are practically a separate species.

[5] "The Big Breakfast", Channel 4. This show is distinguished by having both
the most irritating [8] presenter (Chris Evans) and the most mind-numbingly
attractive presenter (Gaby Roslin) ever to appear on breakfast TV in the UK.

[6] I've always been very worried about the term "anal-retentive collector"
it conjures up an extremely unsavoury image in my mind.

[7] "Elementary, my dear Watson. I could tell Lady Stephanie had been seduced
by the dark cult of Isis as she wore an anorak around her neck."

[8] Most other breakfast TV presenters are too dull to be irritating so this
is actually a compliment of sorts.

Real disclaimer: Trainspotters are people too. If they enjoy it that's fine
by me. I've got hobbies that people could make fun of too -
eg. posting this drivel to complete strangers on the net...

---
Standard disclaimer: ICL is not a train spotter, although some train spotters
might be ICL.

Rocky Frisco

May 5, 1994, 5:37:00 AM5/5/94
AJ> Who's going to play the Librarian? :-)

Clint Eastwood's friend, Clyde?

-Rock

* RM 1.4 B1542 * There's too much blood in my caffeine system.

Andrew Eacott

May 5, 1994, 3:36:55 PM5/5/94
In article <CpA07...@oasis.icl.co.uk> m...@oasis.icl.co.uk (Mark Thompson) writes:
>Martin Walser (wal...@midget.towson.edu) wrote:
>: >Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it
>: >in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?
>
>: 2) an ancient egyptian religious symbol of a cross with a looped top
>
>: O
>: -+-
>: |
>
>: Am I way off? As for the first definition, geek/nerd tend to suffice though

>: they're useage seems to have fallen lately. The word for the second definition
>: in American english is "Ankh" surprisingly enough. (ahh-nk).
>
> The word for the symbol you drew is "ankh" in British English as well.
>Dunno where you got the idea that it was called an anorak from.
>
> By the way - I used to have a kagool (blue), but then I turned nine.

I'm not sure if I should admit to this but.....mine WAS flourescent orange.

Notice : I buried it in an underground nuclear waste site (undisclosed) after
wearing it on one occasion for several minutes when I was 7.
I have since never worn (or known anyone whose worn) a kagool (sp ?)
since then.

Nick Leverton

May 5, 1994, 5:04:27 PM5/5/94
In article <2q8qj1$s...@tadpole.fc.hp.com> lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:
>We don't have train-spotters, either.

There speaks a woman who has never read rec.railroad. They call
themselves Foamers.

Nick [who graduated from Anorak to Barbour some time back]
--
There's nothing dull about an anorak, you know: it's quite a marvelous
item of clothing I've always thought. - Terry Pratchett

Simon E Spero

May 5, 1994, 6:39:05 PM5/5/94
In article <2q7k3a$h...@news.umbc.edu>,

Martin Walser <wal...@midget.towson.edu> wrote:
>>Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it
> Actually, I don't think the word is used at all. Though I'm not quite
>clear about the meaning... it seems to have more than one that I've seen
>here:

>2) an ancient egyptian religious symbol of a cross with a looped top

> -+-

So the Discworld's great metropolis is really "Anorak-Morpork". And
Gaiman's Death can easily be recognised by the way she always wears an
anorak.

The bind moggles.

Simon

Mark Thompson

May 6, 1994, 5:00:45 AM5/6/94
Andrew Eacott (ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: In article <CpA07...@oasis.icl.co.uk> m...@oasis.icl.co.uk (Mark Thompson) writes:
: > By the way - I used to have a kagool (blue), but then I turned nine.

: I'm not sure if I should admit to this but.....mine WAS flourescent orange.

Wow, *stylish*.

: Notice : I buried it in an underground nuclear waste site (undisclosed) after

: wearing it on one occasion for several minutes when I was 7.
: I have since never worn (or known anyone whose worn) a kagool (sp ?)
: since then.

Mind you, if you'd kept it you could have cut the arms and hood off
and pretended to be a policeman.

Mark

D.G.Hemingway

May 6, 1994, 6:13:09 AM5/6/94
rocky....@bgbbs.com (Rocky Frisco) writes:

>AJ> Who's going to play the Librarian? :-)

>Clint Eastwood's friend, Clyde?

>-Rock

Can't do... Clyde is female and the Librarian is Male...

(Males have face pouches...)

--
"We, the Willing, lead by the Unknowing, are doing the impossible for the
Ungrateful. We have done so much for so little for so long, that we are now

Mark Thompson

May 6, 1994, 4:54:53 AM5/6/94
tamara skaredoff (Tamara.S...@launchpad.unc.edu) wrote:

: if you're wearing an anorak, how can anyone see your merkin?

It's a cropped anorak, of course.

Andrew Eacott

May 5, 1994, 3:39:07 PM5/5/94
In article <2q8qj1$s...@tadpole.fc.hp.com> lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:
>Andrew Eacott (ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>
>: Vogue ? That would have been interesting. Did it have anything to do with
>: what colour anorak was the latest fashion among the net community ?
>
>Nah, but close .... "Fashions in the year 2000." And you know, I *saw* their
>survey some months ago on some group or other. I told 'em "It's only seven[1]
>years away, how radical could the changes be?" but of course they didn't quote
>*me*. They quoted some netter who suggested a full-body condom.

Hmmm, that sounds familiar. Ever seen the Naked Gun ?

>: Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it
>: in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?
>

>Not at all. I'd never heard the term till I saw it on Usenet. Here, it's an
>obscure, rarely-used word that refers to some kind of jacket (no doubt
>similar to your anoraks, I guess[2]). I think they sell one in Land's End.

>We don't have train-spotters, either.
>

>[1] It was then.
>[2] Not meaning, of course, to imply that you personally wear an anorak.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Glad to hear it ! That would wound me deeply :)

No train spotters ? You're really missing out there.
You'll never know the joys of seeing someone attempt to look normal whilst
wearing an oversized woollen Bobble hat, Anorak AND Tank-top (I suspect the
first and last are again peculiarly English phenomena - I may be wrong)

Ethical Holdings plc

May 5, 1994, 10:02:35 AM5/5/94

In article <6b.3702.23...@sound.com>, Tony Trujillo (tony.t...@sound.com) writes:

> B> Didn't they do a good job with Truckers a few years ago ?
>
>I sure wish I could find the vid over here in the
>states. I had heard the Beeb did to a good job with
>TRUCKERS but I've never seen it. :^<

Forgive me for being a pedant. I thought it was on ITV ?

MikeB "Oook"

Nick Leverton

May 5, 1994, 5:04:09 PM5/5/94
In article <CpBzM...@oasis.icl.co.uk> m...@oasis.icl.co.uk (Mark Thompson) writes:

>Robin Parkinson (r...@rb.icl.co.uk) wrote:
>: Standard disclaimer: ICL is not a train spotter, although some train spotters
>: might be ICL.
>
> How can it be a standard disclaimer when you rewrite it each time?

Standard practice in the Retail Business Centre ...

N.

Andrew Eacott

May 5, 1994, 3:39:01 PM5/5/94
>: Have you noticed how the Internet is suddenly THE thing to mention on a TV
>: programme. I must seen several references in the last few weeks, and before
>: I'd never heard anything about it on TV.
>
>Yup - did you see "Tomorrow's World" a week or so back - the presenter managed
>to say "information superhighway" about five times in a three-minute article.

Is that the one with the E-mail message supposedly from Bill Clinton ?
Or should that be the guy doing some work experience at the White House who
was given a formula letter to type out and send.
If I remember correctly, you normally have to enclose your snail-mail address
in any E-mail to the White House so they can send replies by post.
Their system isn't quite working properly.

>(As a further irrelevance - have you noticed that the presenters of TW have
>changed over the last ten years from three men and a token woman to three
>women and a token man?)

It'a amazing how they all succeed so well in appearing as though they can't
read an autocue. Of course, it could just be because they can't.
It would be comical if it wasn't the only current Science prog on TV.
Actually, thinking about it, in the meetings to discuss the revamping of
Tommorow's World, the word "Youf" was probably used on numerous occasions by
tired executives who think they know what the "Youf" of the country want.

peag...@void.tdcnet.nl

May 3, 1994, 4:14:33 PM5/3/94

lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:

>peag...@void.tdcnet.nl wrote:

>: >Have you noticed how the Internet is suddenly THE thing to mention on a TV
>: >programme. I must seen several references in the last few weeks, and before
>: >I'd never heard anything about it on TV.

>: It's the same in the Dutch media.

>I've not noticed it on U.S. TV (maybe 'cuz I don't watch much), but last
>week it was mentioned in the TV Guide magazine. And Newsweek. And Playboy.
>And (wait for it) Vogue.

CNN made a big point about President Clinton and her husband being on the
net including broadcasting the net address, but they don't give an email
address for people who want to respond to their own programming.

--
Philip Green. | Do you think there's anything
peag...@void.tdcnet.nl | to eat in this forest?

Andrew Eacott

May 5, 1994, 3:39:01 PM5/5/94
In article <2q8ehq$j...@nic-nac.CSU.net> bar...@sjdccd.cc.ca.us (CABMath) writes:
>In article <768021...@sound.demon.co.uk>

>ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk (Andrew Eacott) writes:
>
>> Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it
>> in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?
>

>Most merkins wouldn't even know what an anorak is.

This is probably a rather stupid question but what is a merkin ?
If it's anything to do with this group, I would never suggest that ANY
Pratchett fan was in anyway of the anorak persuasion.
And that goes for the "anorak" equivalents in each country.

N J F Markwick

May 6, 1994, 6:24:24 AM5/6/94
In the referenced article, ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk writes:
>In article <2q8ehq$j...@nic-nac.CSU.net> bar...@sjdccd.cc.ca.us (CABMath) writes:
>>In article <768021...@sound.demon.co.uk>
>>ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk (Andrew Eacott) writes:
>>
>>> Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it
>>> in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?
>>

>>Most merkins wouldn't even know what an anorak is.
>
>This is probably a rather stupid question but what is a merkin ?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-yep!

Think about it... "a merkin".

Now say it, slowly
Now say it, faster...
Listen to what you are saying... Doesn't it sound like a certain
nationality 7 or so time zones away to you???

:)

Niel.

CABMath

May 5, 1994, 5:47:10 PM5/5/94
In article <1994May5....@cs.tcd.ie>
cbuc...@cs.tcd.ie (Colm Buckley) writes:

> Ma...@drak.demon.co.uk ("Patric S. Toms") writes:
>
> > [... about the ankh ...]
> >It is an ancient egyptian symbol of life from which are derived the male

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and
> >female symbols of circle-with-cross (male) and circle-with-arrow (female).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> The ankh is not derived from the female and male symbols, as far as I know
> it predates them by a considerable margin. It is a fertility symbol, but I
> think it's of Hindu origin, nor Egyptian. As usual, I could be wrong.

Read his post again! He has the derivation in the correct order.
("from which", not "which are derived from.")

Chris
+___________________________________________________________________+
|"The good are innocent and create justice. The bad are guilty, |
|which is why they invent mercy." --Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad |
+___________________________________________________________________+

CABMath

May 5, 1994, 5:43:19 PM5/5/94
In article <2qavkf$m...@tadpole.fc.hp.com>
lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:

> Hey. We've got tupperware too you know.

In fact wasn't it a U.S. invention? Britain wouldn't want to claim
this honour anyway, would it?

D.G.Hemingway

May 6, 1994, 6:26:19 AM5/6/94
lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:

>Andrew Eacott (ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk) wrote:

>: You'll never know the joys of seeing someone attempt to look normal whilst

>: wearing an oversized woollen Bobble hat, Anorak AND Tank-top (I suspect the
>: first and last are again peculiarly English phenomena - I may be wrong)

>Hmmmm. Here, a "tank top" is a garment sort of like a sleeveless scoop-necked
>T-shirt. I don't think that's what you're talking about...for one thing, you
>wouldn't be able to see it under the anorak.

>I've never heard of a woollen Bobble hat.

For clarification:=

A TankTop - British - A Sleeveless V-neck Jumper, offten worn by (Dare he say it on this news-group... Yep, he dares...) Cricket players when the weather is hot enough (like in Jamaica).
Unfortunatly their usage in this case is restricted to wearing one that:-

a) Is two sizes too small for the wearer....
b) To be worn over a long sleeve shirt that was tastless even in the 70's.
c) Must clash as violently with said shirt as possible.

This is possibly comparable to those tartan trousers that have become some what connected to with American Tourists.

Dave Bell

May 5, 1994, 3:08:00 PM5/5/94
-=> Quoting Martin Walser to All <=-

>Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it
>in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?

MW> Actually, I don't think the word is used at all. Though I'm not quite
MW> clear about the meaning... it seems to have more than one that I've
MW> seen here:
MW> 1) a geeky fan-type person (be it Trek, Fantasy/SciFi or whatever)
MW> 2) an ancient egyptian religious symbol of a cross with a looped top

anorak -- a waterproof jacket of cloth or plastic, usually with a hood,
of a kind originally used in polar regions. [Greenland Eskimo "anoraq"]

From there to the geek/nerd/techie type of person seems to be the
association with train spotters, who would stand on wind-swept station
platforms noting down the numbers of the trains which passed through,
and who could get very excited at the thought of a BR Standard Class 9F,
aka "starship", fitted with steam heating pipes.

Quite why that got associated with computer types, who get up to their
secret and dark rites somewhere well away from the weather (Unless "a
mountain should suddenly appear in the machine room".), I don't know.
Model railway clubs, perhaps.

Dave

... And the roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the land.
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11

----
|EvaWare BBS, Home of Orator QWK reader for Windows, Sysop:Nick Dyer|
| Tel 44-507-608645. V32/V32Bis V42/V42Bis HST Fidonet (2:252/158) |

Adrian Hurt

May 6, 1994, 8:09:34 AM5/6/94
In article <768193...@sound.demon.co.uk> ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk writes:

>Is that the one with the E-mail message supposedly from Bill Clinton ?
>Or should that be the guy doing some work experience at the White House who
>was given a formula letter to type out and send.

Is it true that someone was arrested for sending a death threat to President
Clinton by email? If so, the possibilities for computerised chaos can only
be imagined, given a system administrator or hacker with (a) the ability to
make an email message look like it came from someone else, and (b) an evil
imagination. You want to nuke a country? Just forge a declaration of war
from that country to the White House.

I'm now going to find out how to get root access here, and also where the
nearest nuclear shelter is...

:-]

--
"Keyboard? How quaint!" - M. Scott

Adrian Hurt | JANET: adr...@cee.hw.ac.uk
UUCP: ..!uknet!cee.hw.ac.uk!adrian | ARPA: adr...@cee.hw.ac.uk

Laura Johnson

Martin Walser

May 7, 1994, 5:42:06 AM5/7/94
>From now on the ancient Egyptian symbol will always be an anorak to me. I
>just can't wait to try this one out on the next black-clad necronerd...
>

>er...:-)
>
>Terry

Oh dear, I hope I haven't started something here...

I'm not sure where I got the idea that ankh == anorak but it must have been
some context assumption mix-up. (ahh the perils of translating American
English to Queen's English)

Mart (wal...@midget.towson.edu)

ps- I noticed in one of Terry's interviews, one of the more snide hosts
seemed to associate said geeky-ness to Yes music. Is that a common
association? I happen to /like/ that old art rock (old Yes, old
Genesis, King Crimson, etc).

Martin Walser

May 7, 1994, 5:52:07 AM5/7/94
> It's the same in the UK. In the last week Ive seen two TV programmes
> (remember we only have 4 channels) and numerous newspaper articles
> which have mentioned the net.

It must be nice only having four channels. It must take you all a lot less
time to realize there's nothing worth watching. I have to surf through 30
or so channels before I come to that conclusion.

>Windoze - just say no!

No kidding.

Mart (wal...@midget.towson.edu)

Robin Parkinson

May 6, 1994, 1:06:29 PM5/6/94
In article <CpBzM...@oasis.icl.co.uk> m...@oasis.icl.co.uk (Mark Thompson) writes:
>Robin Parkinson (r...@rb.icl.co.uk) wrote:
>: Standard disclaimer: ICL is not a train spotter, although some train spotters
>: might be ICL.
>
> How can it be a standard disclaimer when you rewrite it each time?

Haven't you ever heard of an evolving standard?

- Robin.
---

Standard disclaimer: ICL is not a train spotter, although some train spotters

might be ICL. (There! Better?)

Terry Pratchett

May 5, 1994, 5:28:19 PM5/5/94

Paul S. Winalski

May 6, 1994, 9:02:39 PM5/6/94

RE: ankh/anorak

Here in the US, "anorak" (originally a Greenland Eskimo word) means "a
heavy, leather or cloth jacket with a hood". We don't have train
spotters (we barely have trains!), so the secondary meaning of "nerd" or
"geek" never made it over here.

"Ankh" means the looped Egyptian cross, long a favorite of the new-age/
psychic/neo-hippy crowd.

I have never heard of the Egyptian cross called an "anorak", nor of the
Eskimo garment called an "ankh".

BTW, "geek" originally meant somebody in a sideshow who ate all sorts of
disgusting things.

RE: Tupperware

Invented somewhere, sometime in the US by a Mr. Tupper. Tupperware is
most noted for the fact that, once it gets grease on it, it continues to
feel greasy from then on--no amount of washing with any known detergent or
solvent will remove grease from Tupperware. Also, in the US, Tupperware
can only be purchased from the Tupperware representative in your
neighborhood, and then only if you undergo a weird ritual called a
Tupperware Party. The Tupperware company goes in for a lot of touchy-feely
"people management" sorts of things and holds meetings where they sing
Tupperware songs and do other sorts of things to bond with each other and
feel good about themselves. They then are sent home to inflict some of
these group-bonding exercises on unsuspecting customers at the Tupperware
Parties. I know of several people who have bought Tupperware only on the
condition that the representative NOT require them to attend a Tupperware
Party.

--PSW

John Elliott

May 6, 1994, 7:54:35 AM5/6/94
In article <1994May5.1...@city.ac.uk>, Worm (xc...@city.ac.uk) wrote:
: Mark A. Hood (ee1...@mail.bris.ac.uk) wrote:
: >Previously Robin Parkinson (r...@rb.icl.co.uk) wrote:
: >> in the UK, grown men (I've never met a woman train spotter)

: <blurb>

: >station. I was at a table with three complete strangers (more of whom
: >below) who waved at all the trainspotters they saw, and to my knowledge
: >instigated the sport of trainspotterspotting. Their comment on the

: So this makes you a trainspotterspotterspotter......hmmm. I don't think we
: want to get into this.....

: Worm.

"Herbert Mental collects birdwatchers' eggs......"

John Elliott |BLOODNOK: "Why have you got such a long face, Seagoon?"
m93...@ecs.ox.ac.uk |SEAGOON: "Heavy dentures, Sir!" -The Goon Show
:--------------------------------------------------------------------------)

R. Dijkhuis

May 6, 1994, 9:53:34 AM5/6/94
In article <6b.3756.23...@sound.com> tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:

>A government cable television channel here in the US
>shows the House of Parliament meetings/group shouting
>matches regularly. Who ever thought government could
>be so lively..and loud...and rude! :^)

Weird, isn't it? Especially because you can call someone a fascist pig, but
saying "liar" isn't allowed:-)

Reinder

Here's the everlasting rub: neither am I good nor bad.
I'd give up my halo for a horn, and the horn for the hat I once had.
--Ian Anderson

Chris Higgins - System Administrator

May 6, 1994, 10:50:52 AM5/6/94
In article <CpDr3...@cee.hw.ac.uk>, adr...@cee.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) writes:
>In article <768193...@sound.demon.co.uk> ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk writes:
>>
>>Is that the one with the E-mail message supposedly from Bill Clinton ?
>>Or should that be the guy doing some work experience at the White House who
>>was given a formula letter to type out and send.
>
>Is it true that someone was arrested for sending a death threat to President
>Clinton by email? If so, the possibilities for computerised chaos can only
>be imagined, given a system administrator or hacker with (a) the ability to
>make an email message look like it came from someone else, and (b) an evil
>imagination. You want to nuke a country? Just forge a declaration of war
>from that country to the White House.
>
>I'm now going to find out how to get root access here, and also where the
>nearest nuclear shelter is...
>
>:-]
% f @whitehouse.gov
[whitehouse.gov]

Finger service for arbitrary addresses on whitehouse.gov is not
supported. If you wish to send electronic mail, valid addresses are
"PRES...@WHITEHOUSE.GOV", and "VICE-PR...@WHITEHOUSE.GOV".

:-)

>--
> "Keyboard? How quaint!" - M. Scott
>
> Adrian Hurt | JANET: adr...@cee.hw.ac.uk
> UUCP: ..!uknet!cee.hw.ac.uk!adrian | ARPA: adr...@cee.hw.ac.uk

Chris.

+ J.C. Higgins, + Ch...@cs.ucc.ie + If you love something, set it +
+ VMS Sys. Admin, + Ch...@csvax1.ucc.ie + free. If it doesn't come back +
+ Comp.Sc.Dept. + Ch...@odyssey.ucc.ie + to you, hunt it down and +
+ UCC, Ireland + C.Hi...@bureau.ucc.ie + KILL it. +

tamara skaredoff

May 5, 1994, 11:55:28 PM5/5/94

if you're wearing an anorak, how can anyone see your merkin?

-t

\ The above does not represent OIT, UNC-CH, laUNChpad, or its other users. /

Laura Johnson

May 6, 1994, 11:57:26 AM5/6/94
Terry Pratchett (tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: From now on the ancient Egyptian symbol will always be an anorak to me. I

: just can't wait to try this one out on the next black-clad necronerd...

: er...:-)

: Terry

I can picture it now: a Kirby cover of some sort; off in the corner, a
Djelibeybian priest, wearing the mystical symbol of the anorak round his
neck......

peag...@void.tdcnet.nl

May 7, 1994, 5:04:27 AM5/7/94
lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:

>Oh, hell, here we go again. (ok, yes, obviously I enjoy doing this)

>Whassa kagool??

Nothing in my book. I have a Kagu in there if you're interested?

peag...@void.tdcnet.nl

May 7, 1994, 5:28:50 AM5/7/94
lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:

>Derek Harding (dhar...@lssec.bt.co.uk) wrote:

>: You read playboy? ;-)

>In other words, I read it for the articles ;-> If I were queer, I don't
>think I'd be attracted to *those* girls...)

I think I can honestly agrre with you there, Laura. If I were queer I
wouldn't be attracted to them either. :-)

Steve DeGroof

May 6, 1994, 10:19:35 PM5/6/94
In <2qbpgu$k...@nic-nac.CSU.net> bar...@sjdccd.cc.ca.us (CABMath) writes:
>In article <1994May5....@cs.tcd.ie>
>cbuc...@cs.tcd.ie (Colm Buckley) writes:

>> Ma...@drak.demon.co.uk ("Patric S. Toms") writes:
>>
>> > [... about the ankh ...]
>> >It is an ancient egyptian symbol of life from which are derived the male
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>and
>> >female symbols of circle-with-cross (male) and circle-with-arrow (female).
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> The ankh is not derived from the female and male symbols, as far as I know
>> it predates them by a considerable margin. It is a fertility symbol, but I
>> think it's of Hindu origin, nor Egyptian. As usual, I could be wrong.

>Read his post again! He has the derivation in the correct order.
>("from which", not "which are derived from.")

He got the derivation right, but the genders mixed up. The one with the arrow
that looks suspiciously like an erection is the male symbol.

SD

Worm

May 6, 1994, 12:17:23 PM5/6/94

>er...:-)

>Terry

Isn't it depressing how that can happen. It's like giving someone an egg and
telling them not to think about where it came from. To this day I can't watch
the Big Breakfast without smirking (the reason for which is all-too
embaressing to mention, but it involves John Candy, Zig and Zag and a few beers
about 4 months ago.)

Mind you I never knew what the damn thing was called in the first place so I
have it slightly better ;)

Worm.

I wanna find one face that ain't looking through me
I wanna find one place, I wanna spit in the face of these
Badlands...

It is loading more messages.